Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2371764 times)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4650 on: October 20, 2015, 02:33:36 AM »
Leftover home made soup for lunch.

Free exercise at home.

I got a refund from a store, only about £2.50 but better than nothing.:P

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4651 on: October 20, 2015, 08:24:10 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

This is the one I copied, though the lace is deeper on hers:

http://www.bhldn.com/product/curving-periphery-veil

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4652 on: October 20, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

It is very beautiful. What a lovely thing to be able to do for your friend.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4653 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:42 AM »

When I got married, I couldn't find any veils that I liked for a decent price(aka not ones that cost more than my dress!) My mom and I went to the local sewing studio and bought tulle and this beautiful embroidered lace. Total material cost: $45 and then when the project felt like too much, we paid the lady who worked at the shop another $20 to construct the veil. Afterwards my mom lovingly sewed on my pearls and beads. My dress is long gone, but I hope to pass the veil down to a daughter (or daughter in law) someday.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #4654 on: October 20, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
Pork fried rice for dinner with leftover pork loin.

I browsed online for tickets to the musical, A Christmas Carol. Total cost $234.  We've been to see it several times already.

I'm already starting to feel the self imposed Christmas pressure to make it the best one ever. My DH talked me down and we decided instead to schedule a Saturday night game night with the kids and some homemade Christmas cookies and some junky snacks I wouldn't normally buy. Probably a $10. night of family fun we scheduled, savings, $224.00.   thanks DH!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4655 on: October 20, 2015, 10:20:40 AM »
Moved our hose when we saw the lawn crew show up. (No, not our choice to have a lawn crew, we rent). They ran over our neighbor's hose when they were here last month, so we were not looking forward to the risk of replacing our hose!

Found a recipe for "Asian Crack Slaw" which will use a lot of the veggies we have on hand that are softening. Making our own asian five-spice (ish) so we don't have to buy an ingredient.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4656 on: October 20, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
I'm already starting to feel the self imposed Christmas pressure to make it the best one ever. My DH talked me down and we decided instead to schedule a Saturday night game night with the kids and some homemade Christmas cookies and some junky snacks I wouldn't normally buy. Probably a $10. night of family fun we scheduled, savings, $224.00.   thanks DH!

I'm really looking forward to Christmas. Last year we convinced my in-laws to downsize Christmas and they loved it, keen to go even smaller this year.

So I get to buy a few gifts for a few special people (which I will start doing now to maximise the budget), visit family, celebrate with friends, and just opt out of the excessive consumerism of the whole frenetic festive season.

(Three years ago my mother-in-law dragged me to a shopping centre on Christmas Eve when I had finished by Christmas shopping by December 1. I've almost forgiven her...)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4657 on: October 20, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
I worked late last night and my husband's inbound flight was delayed by an hour due to bad weather, so it was after 8.30pm by the time we got home.

We ignored all the unhealthy, spendy food options on the drive home and I madechicken toasted sandwiches for dinner. So satisfying.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4658 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
Ate lunch BEFORE going to the grocery store.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4659 on: October 20, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »
Four weeks ago I started working half a day a week with two other people. One of them (the supervisor) went on vacation and left each of us vegetables! Three spaghetti squash and 10+ lb of potatoes for me.

What nice people I am working with!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4660 on: October 20, 2015, 07:03:23 PM »
Made hot dogs and french fries for dinner the other day, and tonight I reheated the leftover fries in our little toaster oven, fried up 4 eggs, put the fries in a bowl, a layer of cheese on top, and put the fried eggs on top of the whole thing.  Spiked the eggs with salt, lemon pepper and paprika for a very tasty dinner that was very cheap AND was not wasteful. 

I'm finding that learning to cook saves a lot of money, but learning to finesse your leftovers saves you even MORE money. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:38:57 PM by tyort1 »
Frugalite in training.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4661 on: October 20, 2015, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm finding that learning to cook saves a lot of money, but learning to finesse your leftovers saves you even MORE money.

Preach.

FYI, the best book I've found for thinking this way is An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4662 on: October 20, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »
Made hot dogs and french fries for dinner the other day, and tonight I reheated the leftover fries in our little toaster oven, fried up 4 eggs, put the fries in a bowl, a layer of cheese on top, and put the fried eggs on top of the whole thing.  Spiked the eggs with salt, lemon pepper and paprika for a very tasty dinner that was very cheap AND was not wasteful. 

When we don't feel like elaborate cooking, we sometimes make a simple dinner of hot dogs cut into quarter inch thick slices warmed up in some canned baked beans, and with the optional addition of a drained can of corn. I think it is called cowboy stew.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4663 on: October 21, 2015, 12:54:27 AM »
Its been a good long while since I've posted here. I've been very spendy lately :-/ especially with a diet change to Whole30. Its been great for my health, but Whoa! Nellie! is it expensive!

Today I used 2 rain checks from August for EVOO. Each tin was normally $28.99 and I got them for $16.99 each for 3 litres! wahoo!

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4664 on: October 21, 2015, 06:39:51 AM »

When we don't feel like elaborate cooking, we sometimes make a simple dinner of hot dogs cut into quarter inch thick slices warmed up in some canned baked beans, and with the optional addition of a drained can of corn. I think it is called cowboy stew.

We used to call it wieners and beaners.

Disposaleer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4665 on: October 21, 2015, 07:25:52 AM »
My wife dropped her phone and cracked the screen. Instead of replacing the screen ($150!) or buying a new (used) iphone ($180) I put packaging tape on the screen to hold it together. It keeps the glass out of her fingers, the touchscreen still works, and we have more time to shop around!

SN: Does anyone have a spare Sprint iPhone laying around?

Easye418

• Bristles
« Reply #4666 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »
My wife dropped her phone and cracked the screen. Instead of replacing the screen ($150!) or buying a new (used) iphone ($180) I put packaging tape on the screen to hold it together. It keeps the glass out of her fingers, the touchscreen still works, and we have more time to shop around!

SN: Does anyone have a spare Sprint iPhone laying around?

It's amazing how many people I know crack their iPhone screens.  I have had my Note 4 for about a year and it has taken some dangerous falls.  Flat on its screen, on the corners, from decently high up.  Thankfully it has withstood all of that damage and only has a few hairline scratches.  This is all without a case because I hate cases and they take away from the comfort of the phone. 

Moral of story: Buy android :)
You either cut expenses, raise income, or both.  Simple as that.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4667 on: October 22, 2015, 02:08:57 AM »
Weird, I just remembered that I had a dream last night that I broke my phone by cracking the screen.:p

I'm starting to have porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast as it is cheap and good for me.

I don't particularly enjoy porridge but I was listening to a podcast the other day and there was a behavioural economist saying that you should try “Temptation bundling”: the idea of tying together two activities — one you should do but may avoid; and one you love to do but isn’t necessarily productive. So I ate my porridge while listening to a favourite song.:)

I'm going to make up a meal for lunch by using up all the leftover veggies and some leftover Chinese takeaway noodles.

It's payday next week so I need to draw up the November budget.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #4668 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
I'm starting to have porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast as it is cheap and good for me.

I don't particularly enjoy porridge ...
Have you tried variations of it? I can't stand porridge made with water but made with milk, or even half milk/half water, I love it. I like it with a very small amount of sugar sprinkled on top (not mixed in). One of my best friends won't eat porridge unless it's made with water and salty. I like it quite sticky rather than liquidy as well. It's great as a winter breakfast so it's worth playing around with it to see if you can enjoy one variation better than others. And of course, keep playing great songs while you do so. I really like that idea.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4669 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:26 AM »

Have you tried variations of it? I can't stand porridge made with water but made with milk, or even half milk/half water, I love it. I like it with a very small amount of sugar sprinkled on top (not mixed in). One of my best friends won't eat porridge unless it's made with water and salty. I like it quite sticky rather than liquidy as well. It's great as a winter breakfast so it's worth playing around with it to see if you can enjoy one variation better than others. And of course, keep playing great songs while you do so. I really like that idea.

+1

Try variations with nuts and fresh or dried fruits, or peanut butter & chocolate drops! Porridge is what you make of it :-D

See the breakfast thread for ideas:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/what's-for-breakfast/?topicseen
Nothing happens in contrast with Nature, only in contradiction of what we know of it.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4670 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
All meals home-cooked. I'm having leftovers for dinner.
Which is goulash and potatoes, that is getting even better if it sits in the fridge for a day or two *yay*
Tonight I will color and cut my own hair, have an overall DIY beauty night and embrace my inner girly girl.

Have you tried it with apples, raisins and a bit of cinnamon? Also, if you add a bit of milk, it becomes more creamy and delicious.
I really like porridge that way, but can't eat a whole hot bowl in the morning due to my continental european stomach capacities (no offense here fellow US moustachians - but most people here are used to cold breakfasts that are much smaller). Many people I know eat cold oats with nuts, raisins, fruit and milk/yogurt/orange juice in the morning, maybe you could try that?

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #4671 on: October 22, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »
I shaved my legs using dollar store conditioner that was lying around (that we don't use) instead of shaving cream (for which I can't stomach paying the money!). Works perfectly! Now I can use up the conditioner we somehow inherited and not buy shaving cream!!

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4672 on: October 22, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

Porridge does not need to be sweet either.  We like to eat it with savory additions like peanuts and ginger soaked in Chinese vinegar and eggs scrambled with onions.  Nummy!

jaye_p

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4673 on: October 22, 2015, 11:21:54 AM »
Ate last night's leftovers for lunch, after working out in our basement gym with a friend.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4674 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
I posted a few days ago about successfully calling our bank and asking nicely for a refund on our credit card annual charge.

I just got a letter in the mail to say the bank has also waived next year's fee.

Saved $120 with a 60-second phone call. :)

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4675 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
Just ordered 2 small pizzas free from my local Hungry howies  using codes 6DNTL9XH and V9LBA5DY.

Sorry I like to eat out! lol it helps if its free

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4676 on: October 23, 2015, 03:07:45 AM »
^ Thanks for all the tips re the porridge.:) I actually had it again this morning and enjoyed it a bit more. I was looking on pinterest for ideas and saw a few recipes there too.

I had a high cholesterol reading last year and it came down a bit when I had it checked again but I know oats are meant to be good for that so I'm definitely going to persist with it.

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4677 on: October 25, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
Husband finally had a weekend away from the hospital and so wanted to celebrate by going out. We're under budget for this month, but I know the next two will be spendy due to travelling and the holidays. Instead we rented a movie from red box using a giftcaed earned through mypoints and I made roast beef and got out the nice China and candles. Lovely date night and we barely spent a thing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4678 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
-Made a curry to use up extra veggies.
-DH is DIYing my computer repair. Based on past experiences with this sort of problem, he's saving us approximately 17 billion dollars. (Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration, but that's sure how it feels!)
-Sold an item on craigslist

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4679 on: October 25, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
* Cut "empty" toothpaste tube in half to get at the remnants. Found a good 3-4 more uses left in there.
* Making a creamy, vegetable-heavy soup to use up an on-sale rotisserie chicken that husband picked up that is waaay too salty.
* Trolling this week's grocery circulars.
* Will be hanging washed clothes to dry later today.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #4680 on: October 25, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
I have a library book due today. I decided to combine walking the dog with dropping off the library book plus 4 other due soon books while I was there. It's a longer walk than I normally do, but that's good for both myself and the dog. Less driving, carrying more weight while walking. Win win win. right? Except I found out that the library has been closed for repairs since this summer and I can not return the books at that location.

Oh well. I still didn't drive to then find out it was closed, and dog is happy. I'll just have to return them tomorrow at the library near work before it opens tomorrow.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4681 on: October 25, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
I was all ready to call the homeopath to book an apointment for my DS's acne, I asked my DS if I should go ahead, he wanted to know how much it costs and hearing it would have been at least 150 out of pocket , he decided to first use up all the lotions and ointments he has and get a salve or so as refill for 15$ instead. Is he frugal or what?

My DS is motivated to save us money because he wants a smartphone for christmas, can't blame him really, he's 16 :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4682 on: October 25, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
tomita,

Maybe you've already looked into this, but there's a huge connection between acne and dairy consumption. Helped some of my teens.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4683 on: October 25, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Celebrated my birthday by cooking dinner for a group of friends, who generously gifted me two bottles of my favourite spirits. Wins all round. :) (And I have dinner leftovers for lunch today.)

Edited to add: my friend whose home we invaded for my birthday dinner to say she was having her share of leftovers (we always split them between us) for lunch today too, and asked for the recipe. Love having frugal friends who are appreciative of such things!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:40:03 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4684 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:28 PM »
I was all ready to call the homeopath to book an apointment for my DS's acne, I asked my DS if I should go ahead, he wanted to know how much it costs and hearing it would have been at least 150 out of pocket , he decided to first use up all the lotions and ointments he has and get a salve or so as refill for 15$ instead. Is he frugal or what?

My DS is motivated to save us money because he wants a smartphone for christmas, can't blame him really, he's 16 :)
Look up homeopathy on www.quackwatch.com if you really are serious about saving money.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4685 on: October 25, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Made a nice big pot of vegetable beef soup. Will freeze half and use the other half for meals this week. Don't remember the last time I made soup from scratch.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4686 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
tomita,

Maybe you've already looked into this, but there's a huge connection between acne and dairy consumption. Helped some of my teens.
Agreed!  I had acne so bad, some of the zits were the size of quarters and purple.  Cut out dairy and they went mostly away.  Cut out soy in addition and my skin looks great.  Obviously everyone will react differently, but I could tell by the end of 1 week of cutting out dairy that I was sensitive to it.  So I'd advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try for a week, what do you have to lose?

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4687 on: October 25, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
tomita,

Agreed!  I had acne so bad, some of the zits were the size of quarters and purple.  Cut out dairy and they went mostly away.  Cut out soy in addition and my skin looks great.  Obviously everyone will react differently, but I could tell by the end of 1 week of cutting out dairy that I was sensitive to it.  So I'd advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try for a week, what do you have to lose?

« on: Today at 05:17:28 PM » Insert Quote

Zaga & 1967mama: my DS is off diary since 3-4 weeks, I think his acne has improved,  is not a dramatic improvement but is better. We don't eat soy (usually). Just a lot of meat, vegs, home made bread, and home made pies :)...

Joggernot: thanks for the link,

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4688 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
I hate to suggest this, since home-made bread and pies are both frugal and delicious, but gluten?

Zaga & 1967mama: my DS is off diary since 3-4 weeks, I think his acne has improved,  is not a dramatic improvement but is better. We don't eat soy (usually). Just a lot of meat, vegs, home made bread, and home made pies :)...
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4689 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
I hate to suggest this, since home-made bread and pies are both frugal and delicious, but gluten?

I was going to say the same -- or if not gluten specifically, wheat in general for whatever other unknown reason. For me, my skin does fine with dairy, but you can literally see on my face if I've been eating wheat (bread, pasta, etc).

ETA: Today's small thing: Lowering my coffee consumption to get back down to a low daily dose for the Nth time.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4690 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:44 AM »

I was going to say the same -- or if not gluten specifically, wheat in general for whatever other unknown reason. For me, my skin does fine with dairy, but you can literally see on my face if I've been eating wheat (bread, pasta, etc).

I will try to put him on no wheat for 1 week and see what happens, it will be challenging because he's one hungry teenager
Thanks...

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #4691 on: October 26, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »
I bought my MIL's x-mas/birthday gift (haven't decided which one) using an Anthroplogie gift card from a x-mas gift I returned last year. The gift card had been languishing for over a year as their clothing does not appeal to me in either fit nor style.
Saved me around $35 that would have been spent on her gift and timing it to coincide with a free shipping event means I still have another $25 on the card for future gifting.

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #4692 on: October 26, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
I took the train at 6:20 in the morning. You receive a 40% discount when you start your journey outside of the usual commuting times (6:30 - 9:00). You no longer receive this discount if you start traveling after 6:30. It saved me €4 :).

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4693 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
I used a store credit at Target to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of a kid's birthday present.

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

We happened to arrive at Target as they were running a trick-or-treat circuit for the kids. We got 6 free protein bars and some entertaining junk for the kids.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4694 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »

My skin problem is traceable to sugar.  Too many sweets and my skin gets unhappy.

Today: I packed my lunch with leftovers from dinner.  I also packed my breakfast, a snack for later, and made tea at work. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4695 on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!

One of my favourite tricks. For my birthday this year I picked my own bag out of the stash at home for my husband to use for my gifts. It was perfect, saved a tree, and a few dollars.

At my birthday dinner one of my friends gave me a gift in the cute paper bag from the store. She said 'sorry about the bag' with a big grin when she gave it to me, knowing I wouldn't mind in the least. :)

(Then I saved the bag at home. I'll use it for something.)

Thank you to whoever yesterday mentioned cutting open the toothpaste tube. I did that this morning and I think it will last me the rest of the week. (I have spare tubes, purchased on sale, in the cupboard but that's not the point.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #4696 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
Sold a horse today!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4697 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
Sold a horse today!

* Friend Barbara brought dried out baguettes and broccoli stems for my chickens. Those hens eat well! We are in egg debt right now, but I need to collect a half-dozen for her after we send more to my husband's work friend Max who gives him a ride home sometimes.

* Started my own batch of vinegar using a recipe from Erica's book. Between The Hands-On Home and a recent read-through of Bake the Bread, Buy the Butter, I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

* Marveled for the zillionth time about being able to check out ebooks through the library. Instant gratification and FREEEEEE to boot. Amazeballs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4698 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

^^^ The best thing I've read all day.

Another entry for me: I'd been thinking about buying my husband a third pair of shorts for summer (positively indulgent!) He needed a couple of nice tailored pairs that can be worn when he's out for a casual lunch, etc, while travelling overseas for work.

Even at Target (Australia) the style I'm thinking are $40 a pair.

Just found the Target pair on eBay for $7 plus $7 postage. No bids so if I bid with five seconds to go I should get them for $14 all up. Much more palatable.

Also made $10 on eBay from two books. People paying to take away unwanted stuff? Win!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4699 on: October 27, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
Found an abandoned skateboard for my son! I walked by it 4x between 11 am and 4 pm so I claimed it :-)