Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2367246 times)

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2700 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:39 AM »
Fully funded my 2014 and 2015 Roths. I have been contributing to the 401k at work, but haven't been able to do the IRA in a while - so very happy to have that squared away.

Made chicken potato soup w/ the broth that I got from boiling the $5 chicken from Costco. Chicken meat is set aside for another dish this week.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2701 on: March 01, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Picked up free manure for my garden at the local riding stable.  Transported it home in the recycled wood pellet bags in the trunk of our Honda Civic.  There are moments when I fantasize about owning a pickup truck but with a little thought our Civic does 90% of what we need and it's a lot cheaper to hire a guy with a truck once every five years than it is to maintain one.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2702 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker (makes enough for one) and spent the day dehydrating mixed veggies.  I'll put together baggies with a mix of rice, barley, lentils, dried mixed veggies, powdered tomatoes, and spices.  If I manage to make 20 meals in the cooker over the month, my cost per meal, including the cost of the cooker, will be about $1.40.  And when I'm back from touring, I'll probably take the rice cooker to work and continue to put it to use it there.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #2703 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:34 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker (makes enough for one) and spent the day dehydrating mixed veggies.  I'll put together baggies with a mix of rice, barley, lentils, dried mixed veggies, powdered tomatoes, and spices.  If I manage to make 20 meals in the cooker over the month, my cost per meal, including the cost of the cooker, will be about $1.40.  And when I'm back from touring, I'll probably take the rice cooker to work and continue to put it to use it there.

This is awesome!
The Honest Yam - Frankly, career change and chow
https://thehonestyam.wordpress.com/

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2704 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:33 AM »
Was away for 9 days unexpectedly this month. Got back home and my mostly full gallon of milk only had a couple days left before expiry. Made soup with it and the veggies that needed to be used up soon and the rest of the broth in the freezer. Delicious. Also made apple crumble with the apples that were going soft (threw in some leftover pineapple too), and banana cookies with the soft bananas. The only thing that wasn't salvageable was the cucumber.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2705 on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:48 AM »
Was away for 9 days unexpectedly this month. Got back home and my mostly full gallon of milk only had a couple days left before expiry. Made soup with it and the veggies that needed to be used up soon and the rest of the broth in the freezer. Delicious. Also made apple crumble with the apples that were going soft (threw in some leftover pineapple too), and banana cookies with the soft bananas. The only thing that wasn't salvageable was the cucumber.

I hate this. This is 95% of my food waste. I have to go out of town unexpectedly, and it seems like it is ALWAYS after a huge grocery trip where I've bought a lot of produce. On the other hand, my neighbors like me a lot now... haha.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2706 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
I ordered an electric cargo bike to use instead of getting another car.
[...] I am sure I will enjoy the bike in the good weather. I'll have to be brave about facing the bad weather. Of course, it's amazing how we can adapt sometimes. I will look around the forum for tips and moral support re biking.

The bravery is only needed to walk out the door. You wind up adapting pretty quickly. There is a good article linked from the Beginner's Cycling Challenge that does an excellent job explaining how one's ideas of weather evolves. I've found that it only takes about 3 rides. If you would like a place to start, feel free to head over to this month's cycling challenge (link in signature). Also, over the past few months, we've had a lot of discussion regarding gear and technique.
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015

Also, the Cold Weather Biking Thread and the Winter Cycling Guantlet also have some pretty good information.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

CM*TO - Ticket Lottery

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2707 on: March 01, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
When I travelled a lot I used a 2-cup rice cooker in the hotel.  Combined with free hotel breakfast and light (or no) lunch, I saved a great deal of my per diem.  I really like the idea of making a mix before hand!  Wish I'd thought of doing that.  I just cooked the rice, opened a can of beans, and had supper.  Groceries were bought as needed at the regular grocery store.  Drink was tap water.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2708 on: March 01, 2015, 04:40:45 PM »
Planted some potatoes that were sprouting, and got some trays of soil ready to start cabbage, leeks, broccoli, chard, cauliflower and green onions.

I don't know that it will actually save money, but yesterday I snagged the produce bins and wire freezer baskets from the old fridge before it got hauled off.  Might as well use them for storage in the shop or root cellar.

Avoided the temptation of stopping for a fancy coffee on the way home.

mara

• Stubble
  • Age of enlightenment
« Reply #2709 on: March 01, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
I ordered an electric cargo bike to use instead of getting another car.
[...] I am sure I will enjoy the bike in the good weather. I'll have to be brave about facing the bad weather. Of course, it's amazing how we can adapt sometimes. I will look around the forum for tips and moral support re biking.

The bravery is only needed to walk out the door. You wind up adapting pretty quickly. There is a good article linked from the Beginner's Cycling Challenge that does an excellent job explaining how one's ideas of weather evolves. I've found that it only takes about 3 rides. If you would like a place to start, feel free to head over to this month's cycling challenge (link in signature). Also, over the past few months, we've had a lot of discussion regarding gear and technique.
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015

Also, the Cold Weather Biking Thread and the Winter Cycling Guantlet also have some pretty good information.

Thank you! I will read those tonight.

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2710 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
The headlight in my car went out this week. I bought the part at autozone and brought it to the repair shop for a $5 repair + cost of the part instead of paying the repair shop mark up.

Shopped the sales at the grocery on the way home and got quite a bit of protein on sale and was inspired to make a large batch of chicken tikka masala (my favorite!) and fancy brown rice for less than $2.50 a meal. So excited about dinner this week and future dinners from the freezer!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2711 on: March 01, 2015, 06:06:16 PM »
Cut my hair.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2712 on: March 01, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
Went for a family walk near home, and swung by an open house on the hill, full on ocean view (don't worry, at $1.6 million, it's not in the cards), but hey my 8 yo got a free cookie out of it.

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2713 on: March 01, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Went for an evening stroll last night and picked up some boardgames off the side of the road that someone had put out for household garbage collection. I was pretty convinced that they would be incomplete sets but got them home to find they were basically in brand new condition with nothing missing.

Household garbage collection is my favourite time of year. People throw out great stuff. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2714 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker

This is clever. I admire you. One word of warning: those tiny rice cookers are more temperamental than the big ones, and it's easy for stuff to stick to the bottom and scorch. You probably wanna do a bunch of practice runs before you get out on the road.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2715 on: March 02, 2015, 06:37:59 AM »
Going on tour in a week.  Instead of spending my entire per diem, I'm planning on bringing food.  So I bought a tiny rice cooker

This is clever. I admire you. One word of warning: those tiny rice cookers are more temperamental than the big ones, and it's easy for stuff to stick to the bottom and scorch. You probably wanna do a bunch of practice runs before you get out on the road.
Good point.  I had to check the cooker and stop it manually when the rice was done.  Otherwise it would scorch.

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2716 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:50 AM »
My bank notified me that they are increasing fees on my credit card for international transactions. Since I'm headed overseas later in the year I took the opportunity today to sign up to a better and completely fee free offer with a different provider.

I haven't signed up to a credit card in well over 10 years and am somewhat surprised it was so easy. 

Once I have the new card approved and in my hand, I'll move a few periodic payments over and then shut down the old one down completely. Good bye $25/year fee. It took all of 5 minutes!

Stash Engineer

• Stubble
« Reply #2717 on: March 02, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »
Cut my hair yesterday.  Brought frozen leftover chili for lunch today.  Admitedly, I was quite un-mustachian this morning by eating out for breakfast.  Now I'm trying to recover.  I had a long, sleepless night with the kids and just couldn't get it together this morning for breakfast. 
Chuck Norris is so fast, he can make a fire by rubbing two ice cubes together.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2718 on: March 02, 2015, 08:54:17 AM »

Good point.  I had to check the cooker and stop it manually when the rice was done.  Otherwise it would scorch.

Not to worry.  I got it last week and have done multiple practice runs with it, mostly to tweak recipes so I can be sure I'll WANT to eat the food.  As long as I'm listening for the click, it's perfect!

This morning I experimented with cooking steel cut oats in it.  They turned out perfect, so looks like I'll be making little breakfast baggies as well with oats, dried apples, cinnamon and brown sugar.  I don't think most of these hotels will have free breakfasts, so I'm bringing my own!
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2719 on: March 02, 2015, 11:52:54 AM »
Ate up every single leftover. Made my own hummus with tahini I found in the cabinet- delish.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2720 on: March 02, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Cleaning up our fridge before I go shopping again. I'm tired of having leftovers all the time and trashing them since no one will eat it after a few days. Hope I can make it till Friday when I do my regular grocery run.

PatStab

• Stubble
« Reply #2721 on: March 02, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »
We have been snowed in 3 days now.  And its looking life it could be more.
The main road is cleared but my 100 ft or so driveway is impassable, a foot
and more of snow.  The old tractor won't start so I can't do anything, we are
looking at a truck with blade or tractor, hubby is gone and this is for the birds.
Used to be neighboring farmers helped each other but its about all corporate farms
here now so nobody around to help
I have ordered some items off the internet but no shopping per se.
I ordered catfood and dogfood, also a few things from No More Racks.

Cooking home cooked meals, I have enough food here to last for months, making
pinto bean soup now.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2722 on: March 03, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
This week, I learned how to make sourdough bread from a batter you keep in your fridge! Amazing! And my family loves it!

This is the recipe I'm using, and it doubles beautifully too:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2014/09/18/whole-grain-loaves-without-vital-wheat-gluten-and-highlights-from-the-mill-city-bread-festival

Used up shredded zucchini (in a spaghetti sauce) and raspberries from the deep freeze.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2723 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
This week, I learned how to make sourdough bread from a batter you keep in your fridge! Amazing! And my family loves it!

This is the recipe I'm using, and it doubles beautifully too:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2014/09/18/whole-grain-loaves-without-vital-wheat-gluten-and-highlights-from-the-mill-city-bread-festival
I've been trying to get into bread making for a while.  We don't eat bread very often, but I love fresh bread.  I make single serving bread-ish things like naan or soft pretzels, but no loaves.  I'll have to wait for an occasion to try to make a full loaf. 

Today I worked out and showered at the gym and used the toiletries.  I listened to a Planet Money podcast (http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/12/17/371463435/episode-590-the-planet-money-workout) last week about how gym memberships are used to make sure you're not going as much as you think you are, so I've started keeping track of how many times I go to the gym/week. 

Packed breakfast (homemade granola bar), snacks (fruit), and lunch (leftover red curry with vegetables).  I made a cup of tea using tea bags from a coworker (we have a discard area that people leave extra fruit, baked goods, food, tea, etc.).  I filled up my nalgene and have a goal to drink 64 fl oz while at work. 

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2724 on: March 03, 2015, 10:00:25 AM »
Canceled one monthly subscription and dialed another back to a lower level, saving $14/month.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2725 on: March 03, 2015, 10:33:29 AM »
$150 in gift cards translated into 4 work button down shirts, a dress, skirt, necklace, pretty sleeveless tank, and a pair of skivvies.  :D

Working with Kuerig to send a complimentary replacement part for the hand-me-down machine given to me last year.

Filtered water, lunch and snacks brought from home.

Sunday's 4.94 LB smoked pork loin will turn into burritos and cowboy chili this week.

Made sure I ate the fresh raspberries before they went bad this time.  Grrr.

Paid my vehicle insurance in full for 12 months.  I received an accident free, advanced shopping, multi policy, and paid in full discount (and one other I cannot remember at this time, LOL!).  It's down to 31.42/mo for liability only.  :)

Baked a low carb cake, boiled eggs, processed fresh produce and batch cooked burritos on Sunday.

About to call the office land line carrier for an annual review to look for money savings.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2726 on: March 03, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »

I've been trying to get into bread making for a while.  We don't eat bread very often, but I love fresh bread.  I make single serving bread-ish things like naan or soft pretzels, but no loaves.  I'll have to wait for an occasion to try to make a full loaf. 

4alpacas, This recipe will yield you about 4 smallish, round loaves in 10 days. It has a hard crust and is chewy, much like a sourdough bread.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2727 on: March 03, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »

4alpacas, This recipe will yield you about 4 smallish, round loaves in 10 days. It has a hard crust and is chewy, much like a sourdough bread.
Does the bread freeze well? 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2728 on: March 03, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »

Does the bread freeze well? 

Sorry, I haven't tried :-/

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2729 on: March 03, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »
I freeze my homemade bread all the time, it generally stays in the freezer for several days to a week, and comes out very close to as fresh tasting as it went it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2730 on: March 03, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
I freeze my homemade bread all the time, it generally stays in the freezer for several days to a week, and comes out very close to as fresh tasting as it went it.
Thanks!  I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll try to make a batch next weekend. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2731 on: March 03, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
My teenaged boys like to take Gatorade with them to floor hockey and karate class, but I don't buy it for them because its too pricey. Sometimes they buy their own.

Today my very clever 14 year old googled "homemade gatorade" and we chose this one because it is made with stevia or honey instead of sugar. Its a reasonable facsimile for store bought gatorade, and they are both very happy with the taste. One of them added a smidge more lemon and lime juice to suit his tastes. Maybe I'm a day late and a dollar short with figuring this out, but is was a small victory for our household today! And I LOVE that my 14 year old son is thinking this way already!

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2013/09/27/homemade-electrolyte-sports-drink-honey-stevia-sweetened/

Rosewhipped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2732 on: March 03, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Years ago I packed a smaller rice cooker to take with me for my study abroad in Tokyo.  We made many delicious meals in our little apartment.  Great idea to bring up, 10dollarsatatime!

Yesterday I cut my hair (first time) and trimmed my bangs.  Woman at work said my hair looks great, so this will work for me!

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #2733 on: March 03, 2015, 04:35:23 PM »
MIL had surgery last week.  Was going to send flowers or chocolates.  In talking with her, scents are giving her headaches and she doesn't have much of an appetite.  So the boys and I are going to make her homemade get-well cards and mail them.  In retrospect, she will love this best of all so not sure why I didn't think about it first. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2734 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »
MIL had surgery last week.  Was going to send flowers or chocolates.  In talking with her, scents are giving her headaches and she doesn't have much of an appetite.  So the boys and I are going to make her homemade get-well cards and mail them.  In retrospect, she will love this best of all so not sure why I didn't think about it first.

Patterns can be hard to break. Good on you for finding a win-win solution for everyone! She gets extra love, you keep your money!
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2735 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
I saved money today by driving directly home from work before the ice started to make the commute treacherous, and then proceeded to eat doctored-up leftovers. 
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

goober

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2736 on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »
My next graduate school class starts Monday, and the textbook is listed to the tune of $215 dollars, with used being $175. Spent a lot of time shopping around, and a classmate discovered an e-book rental for the book for only $24! It's almost one tenth of the cost, and I don't have to worry about selling back to anyone!

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2737 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
My next graduate school class starts Monday, and the textbook is listed to the tune of $215 dollars, with used being $175. Spent a lot of time shopping around, and a classmate discovered an e-book rental for the book for only $24! It's almost one tenth of the cost, and I don't have to worry about selling back to anyone!

I hope your professor(s) lets you know these are available too. I'm always astounded by my evals when students complain that I don't order enough books in the bookstore. No, I don't; I know (and I tell you before class starts) that you can get the required texts off Amazon or eBay for a fraction of the price, even with shipping. Is the "ease" of hitting up the bookstore worth the 200% mark up? (I do order some texts for the bookstore, because there are students on scholarships that get their books covered; however, those students are rare).

-Walked to the vet instead of grabbing a car (it's a lengthy walk for the pup, who also gets anxious on long walks).
-Ate leftovers for lunch and cooking simple pasta for dinner.
-Signed up for an Amazon credit card (been meaning to do this for a while); got $70 in credit, which will cover this month's Subscribe and Save and half of our Prime membership renewal.
-*from yesterday* Made homemade doggie Kong treats with some extra plain yogurt and a spare sweet potato.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2738 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:54 PM »
Invited neighbors over to see how we had fixed up the old greenhouse they gave us.  Nothing encourages people to give you their old stuff like letting them see you use it.

rocketman48097

• Stubble
« Reply #2739 on: March 04, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
I biked to work today in a bad rainstorm.  Not sure it was worth it, but I feel good because of the exercise. 

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2740 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Have not driven to work this week and baked bread last night.

I also did the math on how much said bread costs. Saves about $1.50 a loaf from a comparable store bought option. Would be more if i bake it in batches and buy larger quantities of ingredients.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2741 on: March 04, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Had already decided to buy lunch today.  Took some change from the jar as I left home this morning to cover what I thought would be the exact cost ($3.25).  Went to pay and I was 50 cents short.  Took out a $10 bill to cover it and the cashier told me that instead of breaking the ten, she would just take 50 cents of my total.  Awesome! 

This one from yesterday . . . found a $1 bill on the sidewalk.  Since there was no one else in sight who could have dropped it, I did not feel bad at all about pocketing it. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2742 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
I love reading everyone else's small victories! So encouraging! So motivating! All those small decisions and actions throughout our days can really add up!

Today I hung a load of laundry on the clothes line and another load on the drying rack that I moved out into the sunshine for the day.

I checked my electricity usage online and I am FINALLY seeing my averages come down. For the last 3 months I have been 2% over last years usage, but for February, it said I was 0% higher than last year! haha! Now of course, the goal is to use LESS than last year, but we are a work in progress over here at the 1967 household :-)

Bought a whole ham to slice myself instead of buying deli ham for sandwiches. I'm only doing this about every 3 weeks. We were eating too much ham! <EW!>

Turning the heater off during the day and letting the sun warm us up inside. The other night, I forgot to put it back on in the evening, and lo and behold, everyone survived the night!

Tracking library materials more carefully to avoid fines. I feel as if I have funded the new computer system there! <sigh>

Got a Dr. referral to a specialist for my son by making a phone call rather than having to drive to an appointment, wait, see the Doc and drive home.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2743 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:03 PM »
I work at a mall, the 3rd highest grossing and 4th largest in the US. During lunch I went back to Macy's and did a price adjustment on the 3 pairs of shoes that I bought on Monday. I saved an additional $27 (refunded to my card) and got 3 pairs of shoes for slightly less than $50! :-D

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2744 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:49 AM »
I missed my train this morning and immediately started walking towards the coffee shop to grab a $4!!!! take away coffee while I waited. I was already rethinking the decision when I saw a huge line. Unable to risk missing my train again, I walked away.

Who knows what I would have done if there wasn't a line.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2745 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:56 AM »
I got a $50 gift card in the mail that was apparently a rebate for the car I bought. I was totally surprised by it.

Rather than using it for fun wants (I thought of 5 or 6 ideas), I used it to buy the groceries I planned to buy yesterday anyway.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #2746 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:31 AM »
The water heater is off, our clothes are drying on racks and we are eating down the fridge again.

I like this thread because it inspires me to do more, I get ideas from others on what I could be doing and I also feel good when I list what I am doing.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2747 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »
Woke up early and got a lentil and hamhock soup going in the crock pot since I'll be out late tonight with the horses and it would have otherwise been a grab-a-burrito-to-go type of night

Posted my old computer monitor on Craigslist.  Hopefully it will sell this weekend.

mleigh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2748 on: March 05, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
I finally broke down and bought a new oven.  (The old one had serious hot spots, one broken burner, and filled the kitchen with smoke when set over 350.)  I was thinking I was on the verge of needing a new hot water heater as well, but decided that wasn't an emergency and I could deal with tepid showers for a while before pulling the trigger.  When they installed the (gas) oven, they turned the gas off and back on and that fixed the hot water heater!  Hoping it will last a few more years before it needs to be replaced now.  :)

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #2749 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
Bought a whole ham to slice myself instead of buying deli ham for sandwiches.

We're doing the same.  Started sub-categorizing grocery spending and was shocked how much we spent on lunchmeat.  When hams are priced at $0.99/lb, I stock up, take them home and break down into 1-2 lbs bags.  Easily saving us $20/mo in lunch costs.

Also found out I can use the ham bone to make ham and lentil soup.  Awesome.