Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020616 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5150 on: December 20, 2015, 06:03:27 PM »
Over the weekend:

Shopped local. Bought a beautiful piece of pork from the butcher, flayed it to make crispy pork belly then slow-cooked the rest for Cubanos. (I only have three days left of work for the year but if Friday is any indication that will most likely run to 40+ hours, plus we have a mate staying tonight and his dad staying the following night, so I'm all about quick dinners this week.)

Sharpened my knives before I went to work on the pork. (MiL has the same knives and pays $80/year to have them sharpened.)

Had a Christmas gathering with friends on Saturday night, they provided meat and salad, I made mac and cheese with a garlic Panko crust and supplied the booze, purchased with early-Christmas-present gift cards.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5151 on: December 20, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
Installed over the range microwave with a friend. Saved $150

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5152 on: December 20, 2015, 07:06:28 PM »
did my own kitchen under cabinet lighting...

Saved hundreds of dollars probably... total cost was 39 dollars for all 9 spots of light i used.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5153 on: December 20, 2015, 07:49:55 PM »
Damn dude that lighting looks amazing.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #5154 on: December 21, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »
Drove home for Christmas the other day and saved, by my estimation, about $1,000 in doing so as compared to flying and renting a car to get around. (even after accounting for wear and tear in the car). Packed sandwiches and snacks for the road, so we made the 9+ hour drive on just a couple gas stops.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:42:35 AM by jorjor »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5155 on: December 21, 2015, 07:56:52 AM »

Seconding. NICE kitchen. Did you do the tile work? Do you have resources for learning to do that? (AKA: that's immediately relevant to my interests, and yours looks really good... :))

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #5156 on: December 21, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
I cut my own hair for the first time yesterday and it worked! One of the many great tips to be had on this forum.

I am a woman but I keep my hair very short b/c I swim every day. When I got it cut at SuperCuts they ran the clippers around the back and sides and trimmed the top with scissors. The top grew out really fast but I had a hard time convincing them that I really did want it shorter. My do-it-yourself haircut is the clippers at 1" on sides, back, and top. Looks very neat and was exactly what I was asking for at the shop.

I bought a clipper that vacuums up the hair as it clips. Who knew that such a thing even existed? No - not a FloBee, although I was looking for a used one when I found the clipper I bought. I bought the
Remington HKVAC2000A Vacuum Haircut Kit new on Amazon for $35. It will pay for itself after 1 more haircut and I can cut my hair whenever I want! It truly did capture almost 100% of the hair.

All you have to do is watch a few how-to haircut videos. And possibly have a hat as Plan B :) but I didn't need to use the hat.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5157 on: December 21, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
I cut my own hair for the first time yesterday and it worked! One of the many great tips to be had on this forum.

I am a woman but I keep my hair very short b/c I swim every day. When I got it cut at SuperCuts they ran the clippers around the back and sides and trimmed the top with scissors. The top grew out really fast but I had a hard time convincing them that I really did want it shorter. My do-it-yourself haircut is the clippers at 1" on sides, back, and top. Looks very neat and was exactly what I was asking for at the shop.

I bought a clipper that vacuums up the hair as it clips. Who knew that such a thing even existed? No - not a FloBee, although I was looking for a used one when I found the clipper I bought. I bought the
Remington HKVAC2000A Vacuum Haircut Kit new on Amazon for $35. It will pay for itself after 1 more haircut and I can cut my hair whenever I want! It truly did capture almost 100% of the hair.

All you have to do is watch a few how-to haircut videos. And possibly have a hat as Plan B :) but I didn't need to use the hat.

Now this is good to know! I also trim my own hair (lady, but I use the #2 clipper which is even shorter lol) but my clipper does not have such awesome features as to remove the hair for me! I have to sweep it up out of my bathroom and keep the cat from tracking it all over the house...

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #5158 on: December 21, 2015, 10:10:12 AM »

Seconding. NICE kitchen. Did you do the tile work? Do you have resources for learning to do that? (AKA: that's immediately relevant to my interests, and yours looks really good... :))

Thirding! Well done.

* Received more Xmas food from friends, so now have a free snack plus 5 new paper plates to re-use. :)
* Packing up a shirt to return. I've had my eye on it for months to fill a hole in my wardrobe, and finally ordered it when 40% off plus free shipping came around. Even at a discount it's on the spendier side, but the color, material, and quality are all great and long-lasting, so it'd be a good investment. But it doesn't fit right. Debated taking it to the tailor's for adjustment, but it's just too big and I'd really want the item cost to be cheaper to offset the tailor cost. Rather than order the next size down immediately (at less discount and shipping costs), I'm going to keep my eye on it for a while longer, and if it goes super low after Christmas, might try again with the smaller size.

FerrumB5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5159 on: December 21, 2015, 10:21:49 AM »

2nd that as well. Pls share the tile work if you did it yourself. I'm going to put new backsplash - so both removing old one and putting new tile/backsplash hints are very welcome!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5160 on: December 21, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »

2nd that as well. Pls share the tile work if you did it yourself. I'm going to put new backsplash - so both removing old one and putting new tile/backsplash hints are very welcome!

Mr.Sal has posted his awesome budget kitchen facelift here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/do-it-yourself-forum!/project-new-kitchen!-31858/msg909479/#msg909479

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5161 on: December 21, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Got my hair cut at the beauty school near work. I'd switched to cutting it myself, but injury has kept me from lifting my arm enough to do it for almost a year now. I'm very happy with the beauty school, though, and it's a bargain at $5 a cut.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5162 on: December 21, 2015, 04:23:03 PM »
Like a couple of others on here, I was asked to shop for my team's Christmas presents from the company.

Took advantage of specials to stretch the per-head budget, scored reward points, and (for mine) picked the option that is easiest to re-gift.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5163 on: December 22, 2015, 11:05:56 AM »
*  found a penny on the ground
*  received a check for $50 as a gift and immediately sent it to the credit card
*  was too lazy to make a nice lunch, so I will be feasting on a can of baked beans

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5164 on: December 22, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
I got a $100 referral check in the mail that I wasn't expecting. I referred my mortgage broker to a friend this summer and forgot all about it. Glad it worked out. :)

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5165 on: December 22, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
Earlier this year we got a free programmable thermostat from our utility company as part of an energy efficiency program (Win #1).  We let our friends know and several of them got one as well (Win #2).

We just received a $25 rebate check for participating in the program (Win #3)!!!

Nothing like getting paid to have a programmable thermostat professionally installed!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5166 on: December 22, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »
Cashed in a gift certificate for a free oil change and was delighted that they also washed my car (no more salt!). They had snacks and bottled water in the service lounge, so took advantage of that, and packed an awesome leftover lunch.

Also activated my new FSA card that came in the mail yesterday, and joined Market Force thanks to a mention by someone in another thread.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5167 on: December 22, 2015, 12:05:41 PM »
Finished sewing sheets and am currently painting the second coat of paint onto a thrift-store doll's crib for my daughter. Total out-of-pocket cost for a pretty, super-solid, rocking doll's crib: 8$. Merry Christmas, child! :)

She is also getting a play kitchen and high chair for her doll  (Kijiji, 20$) and play kitchen food and pots and pans (new, 40$)  as well as a large stack of books (2 new, others used but in good condition), a Tonka bulldozer (19$ on sale), a screwdriver (3$, hardware store), and some little things in her stocking. Total cost of her presents: under 120$CAD, and I don't think we could fit much more under the tree...

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5168 on: December 22, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »
This is becoming my favorite thread. Really love the creativity and DIY spirit here.

Today my neighbor gave me 10-15 pounds of apples from her tree. They were ugly so no one else wanted them. I cored them, cut out the bad parts, and tossed 'em in the juicer. We ended up with more than a quart of amazing fresh apple juice.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5169 on: December 23, 2015, 12:01:54 AM »
* It's citrus season here in California and someone left 5 lb of perfectly ripe but extremely bitter oranges in a bag on the curb in front of their house. I brought them home and turned them into 12 half-pint jars of yummy marmalade. I'll use some of the jars as stocking stuffers and we'll keep the rest in the pantry.

* Turned off the sprinklers for the next week because we got some nice rain this week.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #5170 on: December 23, 2015, 05:01:26 AM »
yesterday I totally re-did our shed to make room for 3 more 55 gallon (free!) rain collection barrels. will bring me to almost 500 gallons of free water. the system fills every time we even get a light drizzle, so I use it water the garden, yard, and foundation, which is a real thing you have to do in Texas.

re built everything back there using only scrap wood and some old steel rods that came with the house. Amazing what a cheap saw and some free time will do! Also sold a fire pit that we weren't using and went up $10 for the day.

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5171 on: December 23, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
Finally got around to ordering myself a Kill-A-Watt Electricity Usage Monitor, and I set it up last night. 

Looking at it this morning, started wondering whether the Kill-A-Watt itself also uses electricity.  Then I imagined the potential Xzibit meme specifically for Mustachians: 

Yo dawg, I heard you like to measure energy consumption. 

So I plugged your Kill-A-Watt into a second Kill-A-Watt, so you can measure energy consumption while you’re measuring energy consumption.

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #5172 on: December 23, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
Finally got around to ordering myself a Kill-A-Watt Electricity Usage Monitor, and I set it up last night. 

Looking at it this morning, started wondering whether the Kill-A-Watt itself also uses electricity.  Then I imagined the potential Xzibit meme specifically for Mustachians: 

Yo dawg, I heard you like to measure energy consumption. 

So I plugged your Kill-A-Watt into a second Kill-A-Watt, so you can measure energy consumption while you’re measuring energy consumption.

funny!

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5173 on: December 24, 2015, 01:42:10 AM »
Ate two slightly shriveled clementines for breakfast so they wouldn't go to waste.

Completed a Pinecone Research survey and earned $3 in five minutes.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5174 on: December 24, 2015, 10:27:37 AM »
Instead of paying for a doctor's visit for my sore throat, I added whisky to my morning coffee.

(That counts, right?)

dontwannaworkforever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5175 on: December 26, 2015, 05:27:48 AM »
I started unplugging the split AC units in my house when not in use because they draw 3 watt constant.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5176 on: December 26, 2015, 06:12:46 AM »
I walked to the shop and back instead of taking a bus. Actually, I'm not even sure if the bus is running on Boxing day anyway.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5177 on: December 26, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
Staying home today and painting the house with paint that I variously bought off the mis-tint rack, with a $10 off of $50 coupon, and with both a $5 off and $10/50 coupon. 

Using up stain, sanding paper, polyurethane and spackle that from the shop instead of buying new.  Staining and finishing the short pieces of baseboard leftover from last winter's effort to use in areas where I need shorter pieces.

Eating leftovers and heating the house with wood from our property.

We're getting close to needing a new nonstick pan and I happened to get a Sur la Table gift card for Christmas.  Actually managed to locate a well-reviewed and reasonably priced pan that they sell for the same price as Amazon, so I'll only be about $12 out of pocket on a new pan and not wasting the gift card on some overpriced crap I don't need (though I was tempted to have them professionally sharpen my knives).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5178 on: December 26, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
Filled out a customer service survey at El Pollo Loco and got a $1 coupon that I used on a take-out order.

Saw a penny, picked it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5179 on: December 26, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
Doesn't feel so small right now, but we dug out and diagnosed the cause of a septic tank overflow at our house (foundation drainwater running into the leach field). Will reroute the foundation drain and let things dry out, then check to see if it's fixed, but we think our odds are good because we've noticed the problem once before after a heavy rain and then not been able to reproduce it when the weather's been normal.

It's been a lovely day; why do you ask? ;)

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5180 on: December 26, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »
Biked to sprawlmart to return $1.30 in found cans, and by the bottle returns there was a case of bottles someone threw out that walmart doesn't accept - so I took those. Got some free (after mobisave rebate) bandaids while I was there, and nothing else.

Making bread right now, pulverized more dried pumpkin, cooked another pumpkin, contacted kmart about a missing $25 credit from buying something from one of their "reward partners" in a promotion.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #5181 on: December 26, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
Traded labor with my brother. He fixed my broken laptop, using mad computer geek skilz and a few bucks. I refinished his nice tropical hardwood walking stick.
Either of us could have done the other's job, but not as well. If I had repaired the laptop, it would have cost me hours of figuring-out time, and about three times the $, since I don't know where to buy parts or what I should pay. He could do the woodwork, but has no interest and would have to buy supplies, which I keep in stock.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5182 on: December 26, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »
Gave homemade Christmas gifts this year.

Eating leftovers for the next few days.

Some leftovers can be repurposed into treats for guests tomorrow night - relatives left us with cream and ice cream, so I will use the cream to make salted caramel sauce and chocolate sauce for ice cream sundaes. My guests will love that!

Dad brought me homegrown tomatoes and aunty brought me pumpkin (unclear if homegrown). Yum.

Aunty gave me a voucher for a garden shop where I can buy a fruit tree.

I have the next week off and I'll be making progress on some more homemade gifts (for babies, birthdays and yes, next Christmas) as well as decluttering and deep-cleaning the house. Good use of time off!

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5183 on: December 26, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »
I had a busy day making stuff today.

I made soap today.  I used some luxury ingredients and sea clay that I had on hand.  Hopeful that it can replace my current facial soap,  At a minimum it will be a very nice bath soap.

I also made laundry detergent.  It's cheap and lasts a long time. 

Made some fizzy bath bombs.  The bath bombs are a great way to relax along with my homemade bubble bath.

Last, but not least turned some aging bananas into banana bread.

jordanread

« Reply #5184 on: December 26, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
*newbie <- -> first post*
-> walked out in the backyard and scooped up a couple of navel oranges off the ground (from a 40 yr. old tree) that had fallen overnight and squeezed some OJ for breakfast (sorry)
-> lunched (and dinner in an hour) on leftover spaghetti I made two days ago

Put the rest of your stuff in here: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/celebrations-thread/. Good Job!!

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5185 on: December 27, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »
"Each bottle costs $5.22 compared to the cost of wine in the liquor store"

Good deal. Here's one I found. The particular brand of California red wine I like is: Beringer, Cabernet Sauvignon
$9.99 Cdn in Ontario
$13.99 Cdn in P.E.I.

Imagine my surprise when I spotted the exact same Californian red wine in Safeway in Hilo, Hawai'i for the rock bottom price of $5.65 US per bottle. Wait it gets better... if you buy 6 the price goes down to $4.65 US per bottle. Well guess what I did?

I would be interested in knowing the B.C. price for the same bottle!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:00:55 AM by k20 »

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5186 on: December 27, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
* more of a bigger thing than little thing but, hey, little to some perhaps * and today.. more like Christmas season today *

Cancelled my SiriusXM radio (I know, punch in the face) subscription that I just had to have for the last five years. Was set to "re-up" automatically on Christmas day so I pre-emptively called a week ago.

Cost savings:
$139.00 Cdn. plus
$4.50 per month x 12 internet fee
Total Savings: $193.00
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 06:28:28 AM by k20 »

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #5187 on: December 27, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
Started planting the spring bulbs I bought at 75% off.  Defrosting and heading back out again.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5188 on: December 27, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Been out of the loop for a few days while travelling over Christmas, so a couple of things from the past week:

- took a bag of sewing home for my darling mum to mend/hem
- got red paint (source unknown) out of a jumper, good as new
- mentioned to Mum that I was shopping for sheets for our spare bed; she gave me a new set she'd been given
- came home with an esky full of food, including an entire ham

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5189 on: December 27, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »
I hate counting "sales", since you're spending money to save money, but DH and I already decided on the purchase, so I suppose it counts.

We went to the Adidas employee store so we could get 50% off of PowerLifting shoes. Normally $200, so they were $100. We also picked up some underwear for DH while we were there, which comes out to $2 less per pair than elsewhere. This should hold him for a couple months at least.

Bonus: since DH and I have the same shoe size, we can share and not buy two pairs! We have 1 barbell, so we never lift at the same time anyway (whoever isn't lifting is coach/spotter).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5190 on: December 27, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
Watched the field line test hole drain and observed septic tank behave properly (ie not overflow) upon draining the bathtub. Did a happy dance and made plans to fill in the holes before a freeze (but no actual shoveling yet; we have a few days.

Made bread. Both stayed on the mountain all day.

ETA: Discovered the eggs I planned to use for fried rice are no good anymore, so I dumped the contents out in the woods and put the shells in the compost, and made my fried rice without (don't really need eggs when you're using tofu anyway). Also used up a leftover 1/4 cabbage that needed to go.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:59:08 PM by Rural »

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #5191 on: December 27, 2015, 03:42:30 PM »
I didn't buy the freezer. It wasn't that great a sale. This isn't the season to be filling it. I can wait.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5192 on: December 27, 2015, 03:55:54 PM »
1. Despite my best efforts, I didn't burn the house down.
2. My husband fixed the melted outlet in the kitchen himself, and upgraded it to code with the GFI thingie.
3. While we were running to Lowes, I picked up a $15 craigslist pair of what I hope will be the perfect winter biking boots - thinsulate, windproof, large enough for superthick socks, and zip front. I am sooo over getting my bootlaces tangled in my pedals.
4. Also stopped at Sears and picked up a couple biking shirts for him for free (thanks sears for the surprise points yesterday!)
5. Cooked another pumpkin.
6. Making a turkey that I got free (thanks again, sears), and the backbone is being instapotted into soup as I type.
7. Got rid of excess kitchen clutter by trying to spatchcock the turkey while he was fixing the outlet in the same area. I'm assuming breaking a glass counts as decluttering.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5193 on: December 27, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
1) Had a delicious turkey soup for lunch, made from the bones of our Christmas bird...so rich and good!

2) Guys are watching the Seahawks with our HD antenna .. I wish everyone knew about these!

3) Returned library books even though its closed today in order to avoid fines. Our library takes canned goods for a few weeks to waive your fines and support the food bank so I remembered this today and will use it to pay up my $5 in fines.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5194 on: December 28, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
Had to do some unexpected (and unbudgeted) traveling over the holiday weekend.

Found cheap hotels online and wracked up some points.
Used cash gifts to pay for gas.
Packed lunch and snacks for 4 for the first day of the drive.
Used Starbucks gift cards (from bank relationship rewards) to get decent coffee for the trip back.
Double-checked budget for the next two weeks.
Taking advantage of employer-provided lunch today.
BF and I are "eating down the pantry" while the kiddos are gone.
Joined my hyper-local Buy Nothing Project group.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5195 on: December 29, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
Over the past couple of days:

- cooked and froze 30 meals for the freezer
- baked my free Christmas ham, then carved and froze pieces
- used Christmas money to buy a couple of expensive bras (marked down in post-Christmas sales)
- used a Christmas gift card to buy my favourite booze (also marked down)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5196 on: December 29, 2015, 10:23:44 PM »
Was looking for one of those picture frames for displaying several photos but didn't like the prices, so I decided to tear apart a nondescript World Market print I'm tired of and use the frame.

Got a new $60 cellular window shade for 85 cents after $10 off coupon used with a gift card from credit card rewards.

Used Fred Meyer points for 20/cents off per gallon on gas

Had homegrown sweet potatoes fries dipped in homemade ketchup for dinner.

MoneyMe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5197 on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:34 PM »
I fixed our microwave that was blowing fuses rather than buying a new one! It is a range hood microwave so we saved ~$200! 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5198 on: December 30, 2015, 03:17:37 AM »
I've gotten back into making our bread, but I always cut it crooked. "Needed" a slicing guide because the one I had year ago broke. Thought about buying a crappy plastic one online, then looked up an old pattern at the Mother Earth News website and my husband made it for me using scrap wood. Much better than I could have bought for any price, and free.

Oh, and I made bread.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5199 on: December 30, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
Cooking for a friend's NYE party tonight. Used Christmas ham in a potato salad; only three or four kilos to go...

Soaking rum bottles that I've been saving for my mum; she makes her own sauces. It saves me money because I give her empties and a few of the bottles will come back to me full. :)