Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020797 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13800 on: May 05, 2020, 04:58:38 AM »
Is anyone here from CT and if so do you lock in on your heating oil price for the year? I have to lock in by June 30th and I have plenty of time. However, the lock in price right now is $1.00 less per gallon than last year. We use about 800 gallons a year for heat and hot water. I am tempted to lock in now but there is so much talk about oil prices being low. I am hoping for a further drop. I don't want to be greedy but I also will hate myself if I lock in and the prices go down further. Once I lock in, I am stuck. Does anyone think oil prices are going to go down further for home heating? Last year the price went down and I locked in early. Then shortly after the prices went down a bit.
I'm inclined to offer the adage, "Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good". Asking a bunch of ibternet strangers somehing that is unknowable makes far less sense than locking in a guaranteed $800 savings.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13801 on: May 05, 2020, 05:32:02 AM »
Divided several bunches of root-bound hosta and coral bells, to fill in flower beds and patio pots without cost. Made supper from leftover shrimp, rice and corn, made some nice seafood bowls sprinkled with some Old Bay seasoning and fresh parsley from the herb garden.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13802 on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:29 AM »
(Yesterday)

No power all day thanks to storms. Waited to eat until supper time because I remembered that McDonald’s by the hospital is doing free meals for healthcare workers. Ate my nuggets and Coca-Cola gratefully.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13803 on: May 05, 2020, 02:30:26 PM »
(Yesterday)

No power all day thanks to storms. Waited to eat until supper time because I remembered that McDonald’s by the hospital is doing free meals for healthcare workers. Ate my nuggets and Coca-Cola gratefully.
I had the double cheeseburger meal yesterday for my "thank you meal" from Mcds. Yummy and free!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13804 on: May 06, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
Didn't go anywhere but a neighborhood walk, even though my state had lifted quarantine restrictions.
Was craving sweets, so found a no bake cookie recipe using pantry ingredients that were delicious. Great scooped into cookie shapes and chilled in the fridge, great eaten straight out of the bowl (no egg).
Handmade Mother's Day cards with materials I had on hand. Much more fun that going to a card shop or the Dollar Store.
Found a few more mystery plants sprouting in the compost pile, so worked on the garden plot to get them ready to transfer. It looks so much better than when I moved in. Purchased all the materials that I needed on FB Marketplace from local people, so I feel good about that.
Sold two items online after posting them this morning, so money in today!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13805 on: May 07, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
I picked a lot of edible plants today and yesterday, and will also get some more tomorrow. Today and yesterday we had veggyburgers from wild plants and salads from wild plants.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13806 on: May 07, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
@Linea_Norway I love picking wild grape leaves for dolmas. Free entertainment, free exercise, free food!

Today I cut open the toothpaste tube to get more out

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13807 on: May 08, 2020, 03:19:02 AM »
Found an ikea container in the trash. Took it home, cleaned it thoroughly with hot water and soap, and then used a Lysol wipe on it. It is now holding DD's paints for her art class.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13808 on: May 09, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
Darned the holes in my favorite pair of house socks. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13809 on: May 10, 2020, 06:49:24 PM »
Instead of buying flowers for a friend's birthday, I cut some irises from the garden. Wrapped them in clearance-bought tissue paper and a reused ribbon that I ironed into crispness. Took a birthday card and stickers from my stash and delivered them personally. Small gift for no outlay of cash, but effort on my part. She's the kind of friend who appreciates that more.
Took an extra treat from work to a friend on a whim. Turns out she hadn't been feeling well, but it hit the spot and was the highlight of her day.
Managed to get lunch and snacks for three people, and three Mother's Day gifts, all complying with social distancing rules, for $100.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13810 on: May 11, 2020, 06:45:24 PM »
Poured the unfinished coffee from the pot into a jar in the fridge to reheat in the morning

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13811 on: May 12, 2020, 06:39:11 AM »
Our potholders are old and torn.  I'm knitting new ones out of some scrap wool I have. 

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13812 on: May 12, 2020, 06:47:56 AM »
Got a research survey in the mail from Indiana University regarding food insecurity in the Covid era...included a $5 gift card to Kroger. As I did the survey I also gave thanks that we are blessed with abundant food and the ability to go get it when necessary.
Filled out two McDonalds surveys for a BOGO sandwich...everything tastes better when it is free.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13813 on: May 13, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
Answered a ThredUp survey for a $10 credit.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13814 on: May 13, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »
Received a ton of garden gifts over the past two weeks from our new neighbor - she loves gardening as much as I do.
Six Amaryllis bulbs - Yay:) - she got like twenty from her dad who is out of room:) in his garden.
She made me a lovely wind chime from recycled materials - a wire wrapped cobalt blue wine bottle and a glass doodad.

She shared several extra packages of zip ties and other garden necessities.
A whole set of grow bags incl a 4x4 ft sized garden bag - will try those in the fall.

... and yes, I share my garden goodies with her too. It is a treasure to have a garden friend, especially during the pandemic since we can visit (with mask) in our big garden or hang out in the gazebo.

I'm done with spring gardening - just finishing up projects. Today I planted four African Blue Basil that I cut from the Mother plant. Freebies:)
Wrapped the bottom of the cut branchlet in paper towels and let it root in water. Worked like a charm.

Tomorrow I'll freeze my first batch of peppers from the garden. They keep exceptionally well in a freezer bag.
We harvested all our Swiss Chard, but one grow box decided it wants to keep growing some more:).
We have about ten head of lettuce left.

Spotted some self-seeded flower babies - white vincas (periwinkle) with a red center.
Tomorrow I'll plant the last big batch of bright orange cosmos - they self-seeded themselves in a flower box. They grow to five feet - perfect for along the fence and the back of the garden bed.

Cashed in Swagbucks for a $25 Amazon gift card - kinda cool that you get money for online shopping that you would have done anyway.
It all adds up.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13815 on: May 14, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
I'm boring, because my list stays relatively constant:
-Continued listing items on eBay. Using things I already have on hand to package/mail them
-Leftovers for lunch, for everyone
-Continued yard project, so we don't have to pay someone else to do it. Removing ivy is a terrible project, I'm reminded
-Made protein balls, as I've been buying more snacks than usual these days, and need to do a better job of creating my own

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13816 on: May 14, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
Submitted a work from home expense for reimbursement.  I was almost going to pay for it myself, but it's covered.  $84. 

Also made a bastardized version of paella for dinner.  Haven't eaten out or done delivery since early February. 

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13817 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »
I have a large TV, on a pretty small TV stand. I always thought it looked dumb, though it is functional. Next month I was planning to purchase a larger stand, for purely cosmetic reasons.

Today, I pulled out some very nice looking boxes that I already had in my closet- I used to use them to store things in my old apartment. They have a nice finish and are made to be both decorative and functional. I built up some boxes as "decoration" around the TV stand- for the price of free. Looks much better, no more desire to purchase a new, unnecessary piece of furniture.

Plus I can store some cables and things in the boxes for easy use!

$100 trip to Ikea, saved.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13818 on: May 15, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »
-Cleaned our garage & found a scooter/skateboard combo set that was close to new condition. Cleaned it up & sold it on our neighborhood swap for $30
-Unearthed two steaks from the depths of the freezer (one is recent, one is ancient) & my husband made them both in a cast iron pan. Along with rosemary from the garden

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13819 on: May 16, 2020, 02:22:47 PM »
Home grooming for everyone today! Haircuts for the two legs and nail trims all around!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13820 on: May 17, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »
-Used paper grocery bags (now required, as we can't bring our own) to cut up to cover packages for eBay sales
-More yard projects done on our own, vs hiring out. I've probably put in 80 hours of yard work during COVID. Sadly, you can't tell from looking at our yard now. It's going to require quite a bit more time.
-Improvising a bit for dinner, to eliminate a trip to the store
-listed more items on eBay, packaged & sold a couple of items, & requested free package pick up for tomorrow

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13821 on: May 17, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
Haircut day!  DW took the trimmers to me. It looks fine and saved $15.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13822 on: May 17, 2020, 04:51:13 PM »
Fixed roomba.  Was going to mail it in but looked at Youtube videos and turned out I didn't need any new parts, I just needed to snap some things back in place.  I did end up cleaning it and putting in some replacement parts (filter, brushes) and gluing the filter door.  Should be good to go now with zero spend.

Also made pancakes in the morning, leftovers for lunch and made dinner and enough leftovers to throw together into a casserole tomorrow. 

Wife gave kids coronavirus haircuts... we'll need to practice. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13823 on: May 18, 2020, 05:27:48 PM »
Took a borrowed canoe out on a local lake for free. SO had all the equipment we needed for safety, and I had the sunscreen. We packed our own drinks in an ice chest. We had a quiet, relaxing day on the water for only gas money.
Came home and worked in the garden. It's small, but flourishing. I got some compost materials from work and am excited to see if that nutrient boost helps the baby plants. Had a salad for dinner with homegrown lettuce.
Yesterday, we had a car parade for a niece's birthday. Between me and SO, we had enough balloons, ribbon, and streamers to decorate our cars without any purchases at all. It was great fun decorating and surprising the birthday girl.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13824 on: May 18, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »
-Found another item in our garage, got it listed on local swap site. Have someone interested, so hopefully it will be out of the house by tomorrow.
-Leftovers for dinner, and actively managing fridge ingredients for lunches & ensuring we're eliminating waste
-Worked in the veggie garden, to hopefully have more success than usual. We've put netting up around our plants, to reduce squirrel activity (they typically will eat the entire plants, not to mention any potential output)

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13825 on: May 20, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
Made chicken salad from leftover rotisserie chicken, mayo, celery and grapes. Froze the shredded breast from the chicken for noodles, and cooked down the carcass with scraps of celery and a tired onion for soup stock.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13826 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:08 PM »
-Scrappy leftovers for lunch
-Dinner from the freezer
-Made my own coleslaw mix (via food processor) vs buying bagged
-Continuing to list & sell things on eBay, using existing packaging to mail items
-Receiving a $40 refund from the school from cancelled trips
-Yard work, so we can keep the bill down once we get someone in for a major project

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13827 on: May 20, 2020, 07:37:57 PM »
Yummy homemade salad dressing from leftover dill pickle juice, oil, and spices.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13828 on: May 21, 2020, 03:52:37 AM »
Worked in my veggie patch! Won't be long until I'm harvesting the first things. Took a plastic milk bottle, punched holes in the lid and made a small watering can for precision watering. I use 2 liters of water a day, from the rain barrel.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13829 on: May 21, 2020, 07:33:09 AM »
I received a $5 gift card from a Listerine purchase I made.  I’ve become a big mouthwash rinser since COVID erupted, and free mouthwash is even better!  I used some Amazon digital credits to watch Cabaret as I’m going through a Bob Fosse phase since watching Fosse/Verson also on Amazon.  I did not drive anywhere the last 2 days since a nearby doctor’s appointment for a physical on Tues AM. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13830 on: May 21, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
Worked on grieving my property taxes. I chose better comps and wrote my letter of justification.  They assessed our property value as having risen $100K in a single year!  Whereas our next door neighbor's property is bigger, in better condition, further away from nuisances, and assessed at $100K less. We just need to get some photos printed and then the grievance packet will be done.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13831 on: May 21, 2020, 08:36:56 PM »
Work provided lunch, so I brought my packed lunch home and ate it for dinner.

Trimmed my dog's nails myself. She hates it, I hate it, but it got done and we get better at it every time. Saves me $11 every time I do it at home.

I've stopped drinking soda again. Even though I get free soda at work, weight loss will expand my wardrobe options and keep my healthier in the long run.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13832 on: May 22, 2020, 08:17:41 AM »
Used the empty bread loaf bag for my work sandwich rather than a ziploc bag...have been re-reading the Tightwad Gazette for inspiration!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13833 on: May 22, 2020, 08:26:50 AM »
-Used an almost dead jalapeno in the back of the veggie drawer in place of buying a can of chiles at the store
-The allure of takeout or delivery was strong last night, but resisted & stuck to the planned leftovers

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13834 on: May 22, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »
Used the empty bread loaf bag for my work sandwich rather than a ziploc bag...have been re-reading the Tightwad Gazette for inspiration!

ZsaZsa, what a coincidence, I've also been re-reading the Tightwad Gazette during the shutdown.  I was a subscriber to her original newsletter and kept them all. 
My money savings came from getting 6 bagels for 99 cents from the discount shelf at Safeway.  They were slightly past expiration date but I revive them in the microwave and they're as fresh as new.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13835 on: May 22, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »
-- Called Verizon and knocked off $5 from my bill for the next two years.  So $120 for ten minutes of effort, not too bad.

-- Bought our son a bike!  Used.  On Craigslist.  For $10.  Score!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13836 on: May 23, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
Sam's Club - Join for $45, get $45 - aka free membership:)

Entering some giveaways - for gift cards, for the entertainment as much as the possible savings:)

The usual, home cooking, lunches for work for Mr. R., enjoying eating up the garden bounty.

One of my new banana trees has made three new huge leaves just this past week- not sure if we will get bananas this year (called vanilla ice cream bananas - that alone makes me hungry for bananas:), but I am hopeful.
Lots of peppers, fresh herbs, tea (lemon balm, lemon verbena, Moroccan mint, Chocolate mint and spearmint), celery, lettuce and a second round of swiss chard.

I planted some Fennel for the first time and it got fat and happy - so now I need a good recipe for a fennel dish  - anyone?:)
All I know about fennel is that it is great for tea if you got a colicky baby.

Figured out a way to get a few extra bucks in interest from one of my existing accounts. No work involved. Just a bit of time mulling over my accounts.
Hey, five bucks extra a month is a good thing:).

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13837 on: May 23, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »
I cancelled two subscription services that I wasn't getting much value from.

And today I bought a cilantro plant for $2 - less than buying a bunch at the grocery store - and planted it on my patio. I use a lot of cilantro in my cooking, so growing my own will save me money and reduce waste.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13838 on: May 23, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
Ate late breakfast at home, had a work-provided snack, and got so busy I didn't eat lunch. Ended up bringing home a salad from work for dinner. Made a homemade iced chai and took it with me to second shift in a repurposed spaghetti sauce jar. Left some fruit at that job site's fridge so that I have a snack tomorrow.
Use gifted money and combination of discounts and promo codes to order a fitness tracker I've wanted for some time.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13839 on: May 24, 2020, 07:43:48 AM »
Finally had a really hot sunny day, so I washed my car (instead of going to the carwash)! Looks like an entirely different shade of red. Divided the last of the potted hosta, repotted the small ones and planted some around the foundation of the house. Planted two banana peppers and a jalapeno in the garden where a few other plants didn't thrive. I guess that would be "potential saving".

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13840 on: May 24, 2020, 08:16:32 AM »
I am currently drying meat and vegetables, and some tomato sauce to create a new batch of light weight hiking food.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13841 on: May 25, 2020, 10:34:25 AM »
Made some Amazon returns of weird, cheap quality made in China crap that I purchased during moments of weakness this week. 

Yesterday morning and again today I rearranged some furniture to better utilize some table lamps.  For my next home, I want strong overhead lighting and 2 toilets. 

Before I return to work tomorrow I’m going to remove dead skin and moisturize my hands, and add some red nail polish to counteract my shaved head.  :) May go crazy and paint my toenails too.  Woo! 

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13842 on: May 27, 2020, 02:04:02 PM »
Made shrimp cocktail for lunch, using frozen shrimp and the cocktail sauce packets saved from our Long John Silvers and Captain D's meals. Felt very posh after my morning of grubbing in the dirt!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13843 on: May 27, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »
-Sold an item on eBay (used once, stored in the garage.) Was a gift ten years ago. Feels great to get it out of the house. I was worried I wouldn't have an appropriately sized box, as the item was both heavy & a strange shape. My son's laptop (required for online learning, but certainly not frugal) arrived today. The outer box is the perfect size for mailing.
-Leftovers for lunch. Repurposed the remainder of frozen bananas & fruit that was getting overly ripe into a protein smoothie after a run this morning, for breakfast.
-Wearing a work appropriate top, but cutoff shorts on the bottom, to reduce the need for A/C today. It's warm, and I have calls, but no one can see my bottom half. I would certainly not roll to the office in cutoff denim shorts, but they work well for this.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13844 on: May 28, 2020, 12:03:50 PM »
~Brought coffee, water, and breakfast from home when venturing out for a day of errands
~One of the errands was using a free coffee coupon :)
~Bought numerous sale items last night at the store
~Cooked dried pinto beans which were used in Budget Bytes Not Refried Beans and ham-hock and beans
~Saved .70/gallon at the gas pump by using grocery store value card points
~Using up food on hand including sauteing failing baby spinach last night
~Haven't renewed several magazine subscriptions this year reducing costs, home clutter and paper waste
~Will regift a small gift card received yesterday
~When cleaning out my desk drawer, came across a restaurant gift card.  I thought it had only a few dollars remaining.  When I checked the balance online, it shows $24.72 remaining.  Glad I didn't toss it!
~Using up the tiny bits of lotion, makeup and conditioner at the bottom of each container before opening new bottles
~Keeping attuned to evening temps.  If it's cool enough outside, we aren't running the window AC units.  Here's to cross-breezes!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13845 on: May 29, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »
We sold our house in March, but do the takeover in July. The broker was planning to send the final bill in July when he himself is on vacation. DH asked and asked again to see the bill earlier. We got it today. DH used 45 min to check in detail and he found 10% of the bill that shouldn't be there. Broker appologized that is was a temporary bill (really??) and will send a corrected bill.
I think they speculate in waiting a long time before sending the bill, so that the contract is not fresh in your mind. And when you are likely in your moving chaos and don't have energy. And the broker company had been bought up halfway the sale and they put the same tasks in twice in different wording.

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #13846 on: May 29, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
Replaced (soldered-in) the battery in my sonic toothbrush for $5. Thanks YT.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #13847 on: May 29, 2020, 06:55:18 PM »
Had free lunch at work...Geico made a donation to the hospital, which was used as a treat for the "dungeon dwellers" (people with offices in the basement). They provided us with box lunches from McCallisters!

Chris@TTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early retirement mid-pandemic
    • TicTocLife - Transitioning into Early Retirement
« Reply #13848 on: May 29, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »
AMEX Business Plat card added $20/month COVID-related "stimulus" to use on Shipping (among other benefits).

USPS qualified for the $20 so I picked up 36 stamps - a hair under $20.

No additional cost to me and everyone is getting love notes for the rest of the year. <3

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13849 on: May 29, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
Now that I am 60, picked up my allotment of frozen senior lunches. They will bill me later @1.50 a meal. This includes 5 1/2 pints of milk, fruit cups and crackers as well as TV dinner type meal. Group dining is out, so they’ve moved to pickup.