Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021039 times)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5100 on: December 14, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »
Our back security/flyscreen door was getting increasingly difficult to open and close due to one of the three locks jamming open.

This morning DH couldn't even lock the door once he finally got it closed. So we bit the bullet and got out the folder containing the House Maintenance receipts and manuals, and found the invoice from 5 years ago when I got the door installed so I could ring the installers (could not remember the company name without the invoice).

I rang the company this morning and described our problem, thinking we'd have no chance of getting it fixed before Christmas. Turns out there was a faulty batch of locks from 5 years ago for that particular door and the door manufacturer is covering all repair costs. We should hear from a locksmith within the next few days and the repair will be free!!! Awesome.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5101 on: December 14, 2015, 08:00:13 PM »
Our new spare bed (yes, new, we decided to pay extra for the storage component, punch on) was missing struts when it was delivered on Saturday.

I contacted the store. They're now sending me two $240 latex pillows.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #5102 on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
Last night I listed over 50 items on ebay as buy them now.  Three sales already of over $50, and while decent stuff, they are things I won't use and will be making a nice profit on (maybe $35 profit).

I'm continuing to eat more left overs from three Christmas parties I went to (Thursday through Saturday).  My food expenses for the week will be near $0.

Last night I need a few specialty items at CVS and checked out the sales first.   Using strategic buying I was able to get a bottle of dish detergent for free (and I paid for the rest using a CVS gift card I got as a bonus from CC signups).

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #5103 on: December 15, 2015, 01:42:26 PM »
Instead of buy a snowblower or hire someone to shovel snow from my driveway which is way too damn big, I just shoveled a metric shit ton of snow.

prax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5104 on: December 15, 2015, 05:27:54 PM »
Canceled my Amazon Prime!

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5105 on: December 15, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
Started grocery shopping at Aldi....WOW I have been overpaying for food

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5106 on: December 15, 2015, 06:43:45 PM »
Volunteered to do the shopping for the office Christmas party (and expense it, obv - I'll have the $ back by the end of the month, to pay for the credit card bill due end of next month).

Meant that I got to leave work an hour early to go to the 2 places I needed to run errands at anyway and didn't have time to make it to after work, plus, I get 2% cash back, plus the volume of wine purchases got me a 15% discount at the liquor store (so I added on the bottles we needed for holiday presents - yay 15% off), PLUS I can read ingredients before buying to make sure I'm not allergic to the ingredients in the party food. Minor $ savings, but major savings on time, hassle, and convenience.

Jschange

« Reply #5107 on: December 15, 2015, 07:25:09 PM »
I ate my yogurt (packed in my bag with lunch) in the whole foods cafeteria even though it was dinner time and I love their buffet.  And I only bought Christmas presents while I was there

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5108 on: December 16, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
Just put on wool vest instead of turning up heat.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5109 on: December 16, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
Supported a local crafter who knits socks for flip-flops (separate big toe).  Very nice in our current weather for both inside and outside use.  Kept the heat off another day.

TrMama

« Reply #5110 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
Read through our extended health insurance booklet (again) to confirm we have decent coverage for the orthodontic headgear ODD needs. At least $1000 saved.

Being an adult is so fun . . .

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #5111 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
I'm habitually late for work.  There's zero consequences for this, EXCEPT today I realized I'm leaving all that $$ on the table.  The numbers themselves are compelling.  I am giving up $1914.00 / year for being 15 min late daily.  I am giving up $3,828.00 / year if I'm 30 min late daily. 

I will be showing up ON TIME from now on. 

Seems silly that I didn't see this sooner.  I'm willing to do all sorts of things that save much smaller amounts of money.  Here's to a slap in the forehead.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5112 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Volunteered to do the shopping for the office Christmas party . . . . . . Minor $ savings, but major savings on time, hassle, and convenience.

Awesome!  Way to be efficient :)

After a very late night last night, I dragged myself out of bed at the appointed hour this morning and put together my lunch for the day  - rather than hitting snooze until I would have to race to get out the door and "not have time" to make lunch.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5113 on: December 16, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »
Saved $1.50 on my train ticket by working from home this morning and travelling off-peak.

And the busker at my station in the city was playing a mournful rendition of the theme song from Sesame Street.

(Personally I was a Play School girl, but Sesame Street was musically superior.)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5114 on: December 16, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
Stocked our freezer with the frozen veggies the family will eat (on sale), milk, etc, as well as buying vegetables that will last for a while in the fridge and making sure that the freezer was stocked with milk and that the pantry is stocked with everything. With one last errand to run after work tomorrow (while I'm in the city), I should be able to avoid driving into the city for any reason at all, including groceries, until January... saving a 100km round trip, gas, time, and patience.

I can't WAIT for 2+ weeks off.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #5115 on: December 16, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
I wrote a personal check for almost $2000 to my job, which sounds bad but it's because payroll caught that they accidentally missed a deposit to my 457 and paid me instead.

Also - Ate yet another free pumpkin smoothie for lunch, in the endless stream of pumpkin smoothies, and ate pumpkin seeds for a snack on the way home.

I got another free long sleeve base layer shirt for biking with kmart points.

I came home and made two cheesecakes for my husband's office party, using cream cheese I got for 50 cents each after coupons and ibotta rebates, and graham cracker crumbs and eggs that I got on clearance, and he's taking a jar of homemade cherry preserves from my cherry tree for a topping. Super cheap but looks fancy.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #5116 on: December 16, 2015, 08:32:22 PM »
had to drive out of state for a licensing exam (passed). My wife had been saving a free coffee coupon since quite a while back. We very seldom drive that far, but as I was leaving she handed it to me. The store was right across the street from where I took my test.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5117 on: December 16, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
Ate so much free food at a work lunch celebration that I'm still full 8 hours later and skipped dinner altogether.

Wouldn't necessarily recommend!

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5118 on: December 17, 2015, 12:39:27 AM »
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, i went shopping in the shopping centre and did not spend a cent on coffee for morning tea/afternoon tea!!

FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE!   Man...it was sheer torture!

Footnote: not going to happen again...both the body and the spirit are weak!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5119 on: December 17, 2015, 01:34:18 AM »
Got paid today for a freelance job I did last month and had forgotten about. A nice little $400 surprise.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5120 on: December 17, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
I came home and made two cheesecakes for my husband's office party, using cream cheese I got for 50 cents each after coupons and ibotta rebates, and graham cracker crumbs and eggs that I got on clearance, and he's taking a jar of homemade cherry preserves from my cherry tree for a topping. Super cheap but looks fancy.

Probably tastes better than all the store bought brown bites and crap people usually bring to these types of events.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5121 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
After seeing how much eating out at work has cost me I am going cold turkey. Only home packed food for me.

JPatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5122 on: December 17, 2015, 10:49:37 AM »
Called Wall Street Journal to cancel my digital subscription ($28.99/month).  I love it, but I don't read it enough to justify the cost.  I must have sounded sad to part with it, because they said I could keep the subscription for free until March 6, 2016.  So, I get a couple free months before calling in a sad voice to cancel again.

Also suspended my $9.84/month Netflix subscription.  Lots of good books to read, and I can always get DVDs at the library or watch something at a friend's house.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5123 on: December 17, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
Came home sick from work this morning and wanted to make the hot lemon/honey concoction my mom used to make me when sick, but decided 99 cents was too much for a single lemon.  Came home and discovered two Meyer lemons that have been rolling around in the freezer for ages and used those instead.

Dug out cold medicine from last year instead of buying a new box.  DH won't use expired OTC meds but I will.

Bundled up on the couch and I'm thinking I set the thermostat too high at 62.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5124 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Brought lunch to work . . . . red lentil coconut curry, made in the Instant Pot last night.  Was also dinner last night and there was enough to put into the freezer for a couple more meals later.  I cannot remember the last time I bought lunch at work.

Sent another $14 to the credit card, just because.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5125 on: December 17, 2015, 01:53:08 PM »
After seeing how much eating out at work has cost me I am going cold turkey. Only home packed food for me.

Haha, that's not a small thing, that's HUGE!!  Nice :)

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5126 on: December 17, 2015, 01:56:24 PM »
Switched my car insurance and renter's insurance. New bundled policy costs less than what I was paying for car insurance ALONE with the old company. Refreshed Craigslist post for my wedding veil.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5127 on: December 17, 2015, 04:19:19 PM »
I stopped at my bank today and got a $12 fee waived (I had no direct deposit in October since I was switching jobs, and last / first checks were paper). I stopped at my old credit union and closed my account (they have been charging me $3/mo for a while now). $12 saved today and $36/yr saved indefinitely!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5128 on: December 17, 2015, 04:33:30 PM »
Perhaps you can access wsj through your library?   Worth a check.  I get access through my university but know there are many public library resources I haven't researched yet.

Called Wall Street Journal to cancel my digital subscription ($28.99/month).  I love it, but I don't read it enough to justify the cost.  I must have sounded sad to part with it, because they said I could keep the subscription for free until March 6, 2016.  So, I get a couple free months before calling in a sad voice to cancel again.

Also suspended my $9.84/month Netflix subscription.  Lots of good books to read, and I can always get DVDs at the library or watch something at a friend's house.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5129 on: December 17, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
Called my car insurance and got my rates lowered. Amazing what can be changed when you mention looking for another company lol

ponyespresso

• Stubble
« Reply #5130 on: December 18, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »
Only 7:15 am, and I just saved some $. DH was going to buy a book on Amazon, and I quicky checked on Overdrive to see if we could check it out from the library. No luck. However, they have an actual paper version at the library. and I did all this after only having half a cup of coffee so far. :-)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5131 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
Bought an Instant Pot from the "yard sale store".  They do liquidation and sell mostly costco returns and overstocks.  So it was a return, but I've been testing it out, and it works perfectly.  Saved $50 from buying it new.  And now I can get rid of a crockpot, rice cooker, and yogurt maker.  More cupboard space FTW!

Got my hair cut at the hair styling school that I've been going to since they were brand new (except for the few years I had longer hair and could cut it myself).  Got a really new girl who was nervous about doing really short hair, so she basically played around at taking some length off, and then the owner came over and did the actual cut.  Pro fancy haircut for $6.75. :)

Was down to one pair of jeans I could wear to work, so I hit the thrift store and found three pairs for only $15.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #5132 on: December 18, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
Called Geico and got the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder discount.

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5133 on: December 18, 2015, 12:27:40 PM »
Walked to an appointment- 1.6 miles roundtrip.  Enjoyed the fresh air and exercise.  And I avoided driving the car all week!  Cha ching.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #5134 on: December 18, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
This week I took my car in to the dealer to get a free oil change and safety recall part replacement.  After doing that I researched exactly what the fix was - turned out it was something I had to fix a year ago (I bought the part online and fixed it myself).  So I contacted their customer service line, and with documentation I sent in I should be getting reimbursed for the purchase of the part last year.  I also mentioned how long the labor (me) was - who knows, maybe I can get money for that as well.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5135 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Packed a lunch (as always); sent the kids to school with teacher gifts that I bought last year on clearance packed in bags/tissue paper that I also got on clearance last year; canceled my renter's insurance after finding a better deal elsewhere; called and got a medical bill straightened out to avoid overpaying; looked up holiday cookie and frosting recipes that I can make using ingredients I already have on hand.

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5136 on: December 18, 2015, 04:28:43 PM »
Made three jars of marmalade from a bag of aging Clementines sitting on the counter. Yum

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5137 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
I had leftovers for breakfast.  For dinner, I defrosted a Kirkland hamburger a friend brought over for a BBQ this summer. I ate the burger with a slice of free cheese on a bed of mixed greens (no bread in the house).

We gave our dog a bath instead of taking her to the groomer. 

I purchased snacks for our upcoming road trip instead of falling prey to gas station prices and fast food restaurants.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5138 on: December 18, 2015, 08:00:57 PM »
I had given a purchase order for a kickstarter luxury watch campaign that supposedely were cheaper a few days ago.

The watches indeed are awesome and superbeautiful and I started for ordering 2 ... then I couldnt decide which to pick from the models and upped to an order of 3 watches on the kickstarter campaign.

Today I thought to myself "They are just watches... do I really need them or is this a want?" I ended up canceling it altogether and saved 500 bucks in the meantime :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5139 on: December 19, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
Unfortunately, my attempt to repair our microwave failed, so I was online this morning reading reviews and trying to locate a good deal.  Remembered that we have a Sears Outlet store here that sells scratch and dent stuff, and located the exact microwave that is $209 at CostCo for $105 (scratch on the side, which will be out of sight) with an online discount special Sears is running.  Will pick it up later today. 

Hopefully our small appliances will stop crapping out on us for a bit.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #5140 on: December 19, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »
* Finished up a half-squeezed lemon slice I'd saved in lunch.
* Friend brought over Xmas cookies, so free cookies, and I'm already putting the 2 heavy-duty fancypants paper plates they came on to re-use.
* Made "broccoli slaw" from on-sale broccoli stems. Learned that a box grater shreds it too finely; next time I'll drag out the mini food processor (which I'd gotten free years ago because of a coupon and discount).
* Also picked up on-sale kale and washed and separated the leaves and stems for soup and miscellaneous use.
* DH canceled a phone maintenance fee that'll save about $13/month. (Better late than never.)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #5141 on: December 19, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
We walked to the shops instead of driving, even though it was already stinking hot at 10am. the walking route doesn't have much shade and I'm not feeling super great. Think it was 30C in the shade when we left and it hit 32C by the time we got home.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5142 on: December 20, 2015, 12:57:08 AM »
Parking lady tried to charge $1 for parking even though we had theater validation. Pushed back a bit politely and showed ticket receipt and she waved us through.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5143 on: December 20, 2015, 01:04:47 AM »
Horsepoor - Nice job on project microwave acquisition! (wink)

ReadingLearner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5144 on: December 20, 2015, 05:50:09 AM »
For groceries, I have been recently using an app called Flipp. Helps me to price match at the grocery store. We've used to spend about $600 om grocerier per month. Now its about $400. I'm trying to lower it more. I base my meals on what the cheapast. So I'll look at the discount grocery store flyers and choose the cheap items on sale and then clip those. Then I go to my local grocery store and price match.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #5145 on: December 20, 2015, 07:18:17 AM »
we installed  a new dishwasher ourselves! someone was selling a $600 high efficiency fancy pants stainless dishwasher for $50 because it didn't match the brand of their fridge in their new house. Ok, silly, but I'll take it.

a couple of youtube videos and an hour later, all set up and running like a champ where our 1980s once stood. also donated the old one so we didn't have to pay for disposal.

Ok, I know having/using a dishwasher at all isn't truly moustachian, but it's at least high efficiency and lower water/electric use. I'm getting my wife into this financial style slowly, and doing all the dishes by hand at 9 months pregnant or with a new baby doesn't seem like a worth while savings for me. She DID come home happy after bumping up her 401k a % of her salary. Small steps, but she'd getting onboard now that the BBOM is starting to gain some speed.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5146 on: December 20, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
Ok, I know having/using a dishwasher at all isn't truly moustachian ...

Dishwashing beats hand washing in both cleanliness and efficiency, so you can feel even better about your amazing $50 purchase:

http://www.treehugger.com/kitchen-design/dishwasher-vs-handwashing-the-winner.html

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5147 on: December 20, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
Home made onion naan for breakfast.  Have eaten this in Indian Restaurants and loved it so today I pulled some bread dough out of the fridge, rolled it in circles, topped it with raw chopped onion, folded it over, squashed it down and cooked it in a dry pan until brown on both sides.  Gave the first one to the Hub and he showed up stoveside shortly thereafter asking if there were more.  On the basis of this endorsement, I used up the rest of the bread dough and now we have a stack for the next three days.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5148 on: December 20, 2015, 12:34:21 PM »
Home made onion naan for breakfast.

Yum!  I will have to try this!

Homemade red lentil curry on rice for lunch (sounds like it would go great with homemade onion naan . . . )
Taking inventory of clothes I do not wear to sell in lots on ebay.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5149 on: December 20, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
I'm going to a convention in February and bought my artist's badge. $55. Behhhh.
BUT I'll be vlunteering for 12 hours as a gopher, which will reimburse me the full badge cost, and I'll be bunking with the art staff, the total cost for lodging will be about $30 for two nights.
;) Not bad. I'll be out gas and $30 to have a great weekend and exhibit some art.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!