Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020682 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1900 on: November 30, 2014, 12:58:09 AM »
Cressida, cooked turkey freezes really well! I do it in small ziploc bags and add it to casseroles, soups, stir fry, etc.

Today we made a huge double batch of meaty spaghetti sauce and froze half of it for another full meal in a week or so.

I also made an excellent broccoli salad from http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com

Kept the heat at 20C even though it was -6 outside. This is a real accomplishment for us! haha! My family are total wimps when it comes to the cold. Put on a flipping sweater!!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1901 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:24 AM »
Bike ride across town, instead of taking the bus.  Also purchased some new LED lights for the home, getting more lumens in the bedroom but in total lowering my "wattage" by 43 W.  :)

OK, didn't do it to save money per se, but it's a nice side effect.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1902 on: November 30, 2014, 09:50:40 AM »
I had been told that you could not pay your living expenses off campus with a 529.  Found out I was wrong and deposited $1000 into the 529 (that I will take out in Dec) and will deposit another $1000 in December.  This will save me $105 in state taxes this year and $525 next year.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1903 on: November 30, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
Also, today at Costco, I noticed that just about every shopping cart I saw being pushed around had at least one fresh young turkey, and some even had 2.  I thought it odd that so many people would be buying turkeys AFTER Thanksgiving (didn't they get enough turkey already?).  I knew something had to be up.  I went over to the meat case where the birds were and saw that all the turkeys had been marked down from $1.09/# to $0.79/#.  Not bad, but nothing to get crazy excited about.  Then I saw the kicker:  $10 off the price marked on the sticker.  My turkey was originally over $23, marked down to $16.67, minus $10 means I got a turkey just over 21 pounds for $6.67!!!!  That is under 32 cents a pound.  Of course, I personally have never cooked a turkey, but at this price I am willing to experiment (or maybe find a kindly local who will do it for me and share in this bounty).

Aw man, I need to go!  We have a half-empty deep freezer, and some turkeys would help fill it up nicely.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1904 on: November 30, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
It's in the low 50s today, so I jumped on my bicycle to return a book to the library drop slot and picked up some stuff at the supermarket to make turkey ala king from Thanksgiving leftovers.  I used a gift card, so total cost for me today was $0.00.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1905 on: November 30, 2014, 11:03:09 AM »
Spent yesterday mastering a new recipe, Chinese Steamed Buns.  Cheap amusement for the day plus a new skill to keep us out of restaurants plus cheap dinner.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1906 on: November 30, 2014, 11:51:47 AM »
Spent the lowest amount I've ever spent on my dog's food today.  Also, picked up cheap cat litter that was further discounted.  Going out later to buy stuff at the bulk food store where I have a $3 off when you spend $10.  Anyone else ever try to get as close to the $10 on coupons like that?  It's like a game for me.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1907 on: November 30, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Sold some of my son´s old toys and clothes = 60€ :-)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1908 on: November 30, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
Cut DH's hair before he left for work this morning.
Renewed my overdue library books online, so no more fines.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1909 on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:28 PM »
Made soup for dinner from stock I made from the bones yesterday. Added seasonings, veggies, noodles and bits of chicken.

Steamed the pork buns that were gifted to us -- clearing out the freezer!

Daughter made 2 double batches of muffins for snacking this week -- lemon poppyseed and chocolate chip.

Kept the heat down even though its quite cold outside.

Worked on setting up YNAB -- something small I did TODAY to save money in the FUTURE! I'm easily confused and math is not my forte so this has been a real challenge (and I'm not finished yet).

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1910 on: November 30, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
Finished sewing warm window thermal shades for the house. Never used a sewing machine before this. Turned out great and should help reduce heating costs.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1911 on: November 30, 2014, 08:48:26 PM »
I wanted table runners for the holidays, and was unwilling to buy them, so I went shopping in my linen closet. I had two sage green king sized pillow cases I was not using. I picked them apart and re-sewed them into runners for my tables.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1912 on: November 30, 2014, 09:10:08 PM »
With today being "Small Business Saturday" I helped out a few locally-owned small businesses by buying breakfast for today (and tomorrow and Monday, maybe even Tuesday), lunch for tomorrow and Monday, and dinner for tomorrow, and in a few will be going out for dinner and a movie.  The vast majority of this "lavish" spending will result in credit statements from American Express, so I will end up getting a lot of food for next to nothing.  $10 credits as long as the purchase was $10.  Mine were all pretty damn close to that amount, maybe a dollar or 2 over.  All told, today's AmEx purchases will total around $97 and I will get $90 of that back!

Also, today at Costco, I noticed that just about every shopping cart I saw being pushed around had at least one fresh young turkey, and some even had 2.  I thought it odd that so many people would be buying turkeys AFTER Thanksgiving (didn't they get enough turkey already?).  I knew something had to be up.  I went over to the meat case where the birds were and saw that all the turkeys had been marked down from $1.09/# to $0.79/#.  Not bad, but nothing to get crazy excited about.  Then I saw the kicker:  $10 off the price marked on the sticker.  My turkey was originally over $23, marked down to $16.67, minus $10 means I got a turkey just over 21 pounds for $6.67!!!!  That is under 32 cents a pound.  Of course, I personally have never cooked a turkey, but at this price I am willing to experiment (or maybe find a kindly local who will do it for me and share in this bounty).

You did much better on the AmEx thing than we did, but I'm not complaining about seeing a matinee, have 2 slices and a pint of fancy beer each, and paying a net $12.

Also jealous of the turkey deal you found.  I stumbled across similar at WinCo last year, so I went back this Friday and no turkey discounts to be had.  Didn't occur to me to check CostCo.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #1913 on: December 01, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
Have had the sewing box out. Darned socks, sewed up small holes in my Ugg boots (sheepskin)and hubby's casual shoes. Put hubby's sports shoes in the washing machine and they came out like new, and spent half an hour using hairspray to remove a big ink stain from a favorite top. Most of these things I would have felt in the past were too much bother but gave me a sense of achievement today.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1914 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
Did our first bike cart run to the grocery store.  Amazing how easy a Burley is to pull

Bartstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1915 on: December 01, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
Fixed my electric range.  One of the power connections had loosened over the years and burned/melted the terminal block.   $30 for the new block and power cord.  I might have been able to reuse the power cord but the wire that had come loose was badly burned and I didn't think it was worth the risk.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1916 on: December 01, 2014, 03:22:49 PM »
Hyper-miling my oven today! Made mini-pizzas for the kids for lunch, followed by a pan of brownies, followed by 2 packages of sausages that will go with our dinner. If I wasn't recovering from surgery, I would also have started some bread dough to rise and bake, but I'd already hit my limit for today.

Eggs, sausages and toast for dinner for the family -- dad is out for dinner with work tonight.

Keeping lights switched off in the day -- including the Christmas tree lights.

Keeping the programmable thermostat at 20C in the day and 18C at night -- pre-MMM we would just bump up the daytime temp and then forget to hit "run program" at bedtime and the furnace would blast all night long.

Unplugged my laptop once it was charged. Same with cell phones.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1917 on: December 01, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
Made 14 quarts of turkey stock from the thanksgiving carcass and the odd vegetable ends I collect.

Dinner is Turkey Shepherd's Pie using thanksgiving leftovers - turkey, gravy, stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and the last remains of some slightly desiccated cheeses.   

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1918 on: December 01, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
Watched movies at home with friends. The in-depth discussion is what I crave. I wouldn't have gone out to a cinema anyway, but I'm learning what I want and don't want out of a film experience and can better tailor the moments each time to what I'd like - whether at the theater or at home.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #1919 on: December 01, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
Arranged to pick up a free electrical barbeque later in the week. Can't wait to use it!

jamal utah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1920 on: December 02, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Increased 401k contributions  by 1%.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1921 on: December 02, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
Increased 401k contributions  by 1%.

Me, too!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1922 on: December 02, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
Made a loaf of bread in the bread machine to go with leftover chicken vegetable soup for dinner. Gotta love that 58 minute Quick Loaf cycle!

Got a free sample of medicine for child who saw the doctor today. It's a puffer with 60 doses so it will be more than enough to see us through this asthma-type illness.

Drank copious amounts of tea.

Turned off the furnace for the afternoon while everyone else is out.

Husband combined 3 errands with picking up a child from music lessons.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1923 on: December 02, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
Making money, rather than saving it, but I'm very excited :)

We just arranged a lodger for our guest suite!  She's an old friend of mine who will be with us for a trial basis for the next 3 weeks, then vacating while we need the room for family (she has a house-sitting gig lined up to coincide), and then hopefully staying for 2015!

Yay :)  We've never had a formal lodger/boarder/roommate before (have had long-term guests, though), so it will be a new experience for us.  Hopefully a good one, and even if it turns out to be short rather than long term, any extra money coming in will be put straight to work.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1924 on: December 03, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
My car needed to visit the mechanic which is near where the Hub works so he drove my car to work today, left it and walked the last mile to work.  Will pick it up the same way.  The man is a frugal god.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1925 on: December 03, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Son has a good friend who is a mechanic by trade and they were fixing my son's breaks on his car in our garage and it only cost my son the parts. Nice friend!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1926 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
scrubbyfish:

I did the same thing with hair elastics. I was all out and had them on my grocery list. Then I found one on an end table, and I had my kids help me look for some in other places around the house and we found 11!! Ridiculous! Crossed it off my grocery list :-)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1927 on: December 03, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Made Thanksgiving soup!

Blob of mashed potatoes and gravy in pan.  Add enough almond milk to get a good chowder consistency.  Fill it with shredded turkey and leftover vegetables.  Season.  Heat.  Eat. 

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1928 on: December 03, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
Today I rode my bike to work, and I stopped at the public library on the way home. I made a batch of hot cocoa mix to have on hand. The only money I spent today was on the coin laundry.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1929 on: December 04, 2014, 03:17:23 AM »
scrubbyfish: I did the same thing with hair elastics. I was all out and had them on my grocery list. Then I found one on an end table, and I had my kids help me look for some in other places around the house and we found 11!! Ridiculous! Crossed it off my grocery list :-)

:)   I knew I had to change something when a boyfriend mimicked my only words in my morning routine as a mumbled, flustered, "Where's my scrunchie?!?!?" Took me a good nine months to come up with a solution, lol. And happily, there are only four doors in my wee house.

I wrap mine around the handle of my hairbrush. I always brush my hair when I take the elastic out, and likewise, always brush it when I put it up. And if I don't brush it, I at least know the elastics are in the top drawer of my bathroom vanity around the handle of my brush. :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1930 on: December 04, 2014, 08:17:01 AM »
Steeping a pot of tea made with loose tea bought from an Asian grocery store.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1931 on: December 04, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
Fixed my headlight last night with a $17 dollar bulb instead of the likely $100+ it would have cost me to take it to a shop.

This may not seem like a big deal, because I originally thought it would be a very simple fix. I've changed the entire tail light assembly before, I didn't think a headlight would be any harder, but it is because the engine is in the way. It took a few days and a couple frustrated tries. I shattered a few plastic rivets, and the assembly wasn't coming out as easily as it should have, but I kept at it and succeeded. :D

Also I made an appointment to get some rims for my winter tires before I get them put on the car. It costs a little more now, but I won't have to pay an outrageous $140 twice a year to switch them. I'll be able to do it myself.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1932 on: December 04, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
Yummy mug of tea to keep me warm.

Cancelled $10/month online newspaper subscription....FINALLY! I was holding out on this one as I really do enjoy the paper, but there's so much content free online now, that I really could no longer justify it.

Keeping mini-lights off on the Christmas tree during the day. This is a change for us from pre-MMM years.

Turning the heat off during the day.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1933 on: December 04, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
I made the dough for no-knead bread last night and will cook it this evening.  This not only gives me fresh bread but will heat the family room with the heat from the oven.

That is, I'll get fresh bread if it works.  I have tried this recipe a few times before and haven't had good success.  Hope it is better this time.

Sounds interesting, do you have a recipe for it?

Personal achievements:
- Made tofu from storebought soymilk, tasted really good (in my homemade Miso soup :P) and convinced DW that I can buy beans next time for cheaper and even more yummie tofu.
- Payed families health insurance for 2015 in full and got a 2% discount.
- Switched to a "freemium" mobile operator, pay one-time subscription of 25 euros for 100 minutes, texts and MB's which is perpetually renewed each month without additional cost. Going over that limit is extra and very costly too (but I won't since I can monitor my usage super easy). DW wants to move too but she had some "accidents" in the past by not monitoring her usage enough :(

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1934 on: December 04, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »
I made the dough for no-knead bread last night and will cook it this evening.  This not only gives me fresh bread but will heat the family room with the heat from the oven.

That is, I'll get fresh bread if it works.  I have tried this recipe a few times before and haven't had good success.  Hope it is better this time.

Sounds interesting, do you have a recipe for it?

Personal achievements:
- Made tofu from storebought soymilk, tasted really good (in my homemade Miso soup :P) and convinced DW that I can buy beans next time for cheaper and even more yummie tofu.
- Payed families health insurance for 2015 in full and got a 2% discount.
- Switched to a "freemium" mobile operator, pay one-time subscription of 25 euros for 100 minutes, texts and MB's which is perpetually renewed each month without additional cost. Going over that limit is extra and very costly too (but I won't since I can monitor my usage super easy). DW wants to move too but she had some "accidents" in the past by not monitoring her usage enough :(
Can you post that?  My kid loves miso soup.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1935 on: December 04, 2014, 01:33:09 PM »
sold some more old things (toys, clothes) - 140€
sold my old iphone3 - 60€
free lunch from MIL
leftover-dinner for the whole family

ordered some painkillers online - 40% difference to the normal pharmacy prices

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1936 on: December 04, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »
I  remarked to my neighbor that her ice plant was attracting bees that I desperately need in the garden.  She offered to let me have as many cuttings as I wanted. Turns out it's part of the succulent family and roots super easy. Not a ton saved but I am having a great time. Come on spring!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1937 on: December 04, 2014, 01:44:12 PM »
Um, you want to know how to make Miso soup or how to make stock from which to make Miso soup? I used store bought paste with this recipe: http://steamykitchen.com/106-simple-10-minute-miso-soup.html

I made a super easy lunch version with seaweed, handmade Tofu and spring-onion (I tried fried and fermented seaweed sushi sheets which worked pretty well). Great for lunch or as dinner after a heavy lunch.

I'm guessing you want a recipe for the paste though, sorry to disappoint. Handmade is not-from-a-can for me, I don't always make everything from scratch (I use premade stock for soup too).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1938 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
Made tofu from storebought soymilk, tasted really good...

Ooh--can you give more details as to how you pulled this off?  Thanks!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1939 on: December 04, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
Lol, that one is easy.

Follow this tutorial with unsweetened(!!!) Soy milk: http://youtu.be/O9Lo4kFuwy0
Skip to 2:45 after the eggshell part.

I used 30cc of vinager with half an eggshell (crushed shell and let it sit for 60 minutes before filtering) for calcium and half a liter of soy milk. Pressed for 15 minutes after curdling which gave beautifully soft yet slightly firm tofu, much better then premade tofu.

This was enough tofu for 1 evening meal (I'm a medium sized eater)… about 200 grams I  think.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1940 on: December 04, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
Great--I will give it a try--thanks!

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #1941 on: December 04, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
Finally took the time to fill out the paperwork to claim $870 in medical expenses I had paid out of pocket.  I have been very busy and put it off for several weeks.  Technically I didn't save money, but I did start the process of getting my money back.

I had breakfast and coffee at a work meeting (my compensation for having to get there early). 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1942 on: December 05, 2014, 03:01:33 AM »
Today was our homeschool group's Christmas Pageant.  I needed to take food for the kids to eat between the final rehearsal and the play, and a plate of finger-food for the shared supper afterwards.

I had been planning on swinging past our local bakery on the way and picking up a premade pizza and something else, BUT the thought of entering those expenses into my little expense tracking app made me feel sad. 

So instead, I raided the pantry and made savoury pinwheel scones, using up some leftover meatloaf from last night in the process.

So that's a WIN for expense tracking already.  Possibly $4 worth of ingredients used (at most), versus maybe $20+ of stuff from the bakery.  And there are 4 pinwheels left for the kids to eat for lunch tomorrow :)

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #1943 on: December 07, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
Volunteered yesterday at a bouldering competition at my climbing gym. It was fun, we got free lunch, and a $25 discount for the month on my climbing gym membership. Win-win. :)

Also I mended some clothes and made a casserole for the upcoming week.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1944 on: December 07, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
I've been eyeballing buffets/sideboards on Craigslist for a while looking for something to replace our generic World Market one.  Yesterday I took the top off of it, which was a blonde finish that was looking the worse for wear, sanded it down, stained it darker and paste-waxed it.  Today I'll pick up some nicer knobs to replace the ones that are on there, so ~$15 vs. a few hundred for a new, used replacement.

stashy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1945 on: December 08, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
never buying paper towels again- I use these and wash in the washer.  Doesn't waste paper and works way better anyways.  Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner!  (make sure you don't was anything else in same load they bleed like crazy)
http://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Cotton-Auto-Towels-100-Pack/dp/B008QR1AXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418053968&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+rags

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1946 on: December 08, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Since I have a milestone birthday coming up in January, and since I have already hit my deductible for medical for this year, I scheduled a full physical for next Monday.  When I scheduled it, they suggested I go to the lab at the hospital this week for the blood draw so they could get the results by my appointment.  I went in today and they said my insurance probably wouldn't pay for the Vitamin D screening, so I could have the test run and see if they do or not, and then pay if they don't.  Maybe the physicians on here will disagree, but I decided to not risk $71.68.  Since I live in the Pacific NW, and since I work inside, I am pretty sure I am Vitamin D deficient naturally, but I am taking my daily multivitamin which says it has 100% of D3.

Rosewhipped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1947 on: December 08, 2014, 11:13:49 AM »
Made a homemade Birthday card for my uncle.  I do this often and people always love them since they are personalized with images from magazines.  I just use leftover cardstock/paper, markers, and a glue stick.  The magazines I get free one way or another and i just cut out pictures and save them for certain people.  Like the one of Kiss i got out of ...either Entertainment Weekly or AARP magazine for my uncle (I'd saved it a couple months so I forget).  It made his night!  Gives me something to do if I'm watching a show. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1948 on: December 08, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
A month ago I bought some Bosch plugs for my car and put them in about two weeks later.  Shortly after that the car started to run rough, multiple misfire codes, etc.  Bought some NGK plugs and replaced the plugs.  Car runs very nicely.  I was going to eat the cost of the first plugs, but a friend said to take them back to O'Reilly's and get my money back.

Long story shorter, O'Reilly's took back the plugs on warranty and gave me a full refund of $32+.  WIN!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1949 on: December 08, 2014, 09:24:47 PM »
Leftovers for dinner with a loaf of warm bread from the bread machine.

Made brownies out of the pre made mixes I had done up.

Left the heat off all day. The oven actually warmed the house up quite nicely.

Son (!!) reminded me to unplug my laptop after it finished charging.