Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020671 times)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8200 on: February 05, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
I cut up my old duvet cover (flat sheet was worn, and then we changed bed sizes... fabric was still perfectly nice and soft flannel, just of no use in its current format) and made 2 flannel crib sheets and change table covers for the baby's room. Total expense: 2$ worth of elastic.

On another note, WHY are crib sheets in-store a) expensive, and b) only found in offensive-to-design-aesthetics patterns? And c) usually horrifically gendered? I am NOT paying 30$ for a bit of fabric with blue bunnies printed on, you guys. Gimme 20 mins and a sewing machine.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8201 on: February 05, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »
On another note, WHY are crib sheets in-store a) expensive, and b) only found in offensive-to-design-aesthetics patterns? And c) usually horrifically gendered? I am NOT paying 30$ for a bit of fabric with blue bunnies printed on, you guys. Gimme 20 mins and a sewing machine.

This this this. You could probably expand "crib sheets" to "most things for kids". It's especially weird for things used by children who are probably too young to even process them.

On topic, I bought a crapton of pork chops on sale (man, meat is cheap these days) and broke them down (pale pink pieces for cutlets, everything else for soy-garlic slow-cooked meat).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8202 on: February 05, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
A friend invited us to a weekend in a hut in the forest. Nice place. They rented it and didn't want me to pay half of what it cost. So I had a nice weekend in the snow for free.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8203 on: February 05, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »
Just finished prepping 10 lunches for next week, 5 for me and 5 for the hubs. Cost about $13 total. So that comes to $1.30 per meal. I also prepped 8 egg, bacon and cheese bagels. Total of $5.79. So .72 cents for each breakfast and they are great. I froze them and can just pop them in the microwave  for breakfast next week.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #8204 on: February 05, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »
I don't know if this is saving money or guilt... needed an outfit. Had it in my hand. At checkout. Decided to put it back and wear the one outfit I have applicable for this meeting. So while the $50 is in my budget for clothes... its still in the bank.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #8205 on: February 05, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
I ate ham for three days in a row. It was a week past its "use by" (not "sell by" or "best by") date.

Not being a fan of food poisoning, I was thinking of tossing it. But I found that the usda .gov site says if it still smells good and isn't slimy, it is ok to eat it well past its "use by" date.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/fsis-content/internet/main/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/food-labeling/food-product-dating/food-product-dating#8

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8206 on: February 05, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
We made some chicken meatballs as a party appetizer that weren't a hit, so I froze them and have been feeding them to the baby, who has a less discerning palate.  Frozen leftover meatballs + one bag of Aldi frozen vegetables gave us about 10 baby meals.

I also repurposed some blue cheese from the same party into tonight's buffalo chicken dip in honor of the sportsball game with the good commercials.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8207 on: February 05, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
Stayed home all day worked around the house and yard. Spent no money. Went freezer and cupboard diving for supper -- spaghetti with meat sauce, peas on the side, with some mini cupcakes for dessert that were leftover from a dinner party. Made enough spaghetti and sauce that leftovers will do for at least three work lunches this week.  Will add veggies, greens, etc. to it in the days to come to break the monotony. 

Cleaned out the fridge.  Found a large unopened container of whole milk yogurt -- two months past the sell-by date.  Still smells and tastes fine, so I'll add some frozen blueberries and cranberries and eat that for breakfast for the next few days.   

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8208 on: February 05, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Stayed home all day worked around the house and yard. Spent no money. Went freezer and cupboard diving for supper -- spaghetti with meat sauce, peas on the side, with some mini cupcakes for dessert that were leftover from a dinner party. Made enough spaghetti and sauce that leftovers will do for at least three work lunches this week.  Will add veggies, greens, etc. to it in the days to come to break the monotony. 

Cleaned out the fridge.  Found a large unopened container of whole milk yogurt -- two months past the sell-by date.  Still smells and tastes fine, so I'll add some frozen blueberries and cranberries and eat that for breakfast for the next few days.   

I have found unopened/uncontaminated whole milk yogurt to have virtually no end date. It just gets a bit more tart. Now if the sides accidentally get touched or anything, sometimes I'll get some mold on an older yogurt. But if I just do clean spoons carefully? Just kinda lasts forever. Fermentation is cool...

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8209 on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:18 PM »
I made yogurt for the first time today! $4.29 for about a gallon of milk made just a bit more yogurt than I usually buy for about $11 at Costco. It is a bit runnier than I'd like (I like greek) but it might be trial and error to get it just right? I strained it, but I don't think I left it long enough. I need more fridge space!!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8210 on: February 05, 2017, 06:18:32 PM »
I tossed the carcass of tonight's chicken into the stockpot with veggie scraps to simmer overnight. In the morning I'll use a bunch of leftovers to make chicken soup.

Made bacon-wrapped, cream cheese stuffed jalapeños, mixed up a jar of very simple hot cocoa mix, and baked a loaf of sourdough bread.

Cleaned the bathtubs and bathroom floors with a mixture of white vinegar that had been steeped with orange peels, hot water, and a touch of dish soap.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8211 on: February 05, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »
I made yogurt for the first time today! $4.29 for about a gallon of milk made just a bit more yogurt than I usually buy for about $11 at Costco. It is a bit runnier than I'd like (I like greek) but it might be trial and error to get it just right? I strained it, but I don't think I left it long enough. I need more fridge space!!

Make sure the milk heats to almost-boiling before cooling it down (changes the structure of the milk) and adding the culture. And if thy doesn't make thick enough yogurt, try adding a half-cup of dried milk to the batch.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #8212 on: February 05, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
This weekend was rounding up some bits and pieces. I had some VISA cash cards that had small odd balances and converted them to Amazon gift cards.
I had enough my coke rewards points for a $5.00 Walmart gift card which I donated to local women's shelter (they were having a drive at church)
Also made a few donations with the last of my coke rewards points to National  Parks Foundation and USI and used the Shutterfly offer the make a deck of cards as a gift for my sister. Used a balance on a gift card I got from my health insurer to pay for shipping.
Checked my old Microsoft Bing account and a Swagbucks account and had enough for a $5.00 amazon giftcard from each.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8213 on: February 05, 2017, 10:23:16 PM »
I also made yogurt today.  I buy a gallon of milk for $2.50, it yields about 2 liters or yogurt after fermentation and straining to make it greek style.  Compared to Fage, which is $4 for 500ml around here.  So Fage is $16 for 2 liters vs $2.50 when I make it myself.  Man I love the Instant Pot!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8214 on: February 05, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »

I have found unopened/uncontaminated whole milk yogurt to have virtually no end date. It just gets a bit more tart. Now if the sides accidentally get touched or anything, sometimes I'll get some mold on an older yogurt. But if I just do clean spoons carefully? Just kinda lasts forever. Fermentation is cool...

Plain yogurt is especially good for long shelf life, but anything with fruit or mix-ins may turn sometime after the date.  Depends on brand for how sensitive it is.

jesse_runs_far

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8215 on: February 06, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »

Make sure the milk heats to almost-boiling before cooling it down (changes the structure of the milk) and adding the culture. And if thy doesn't make thick enough yogurt, try adding a half-cup of dried milk to the batch.

I made it in the crock pot - I'm not sure if it hit almost boiling. Maybe I'll try a different method next time. Does anyone have a tried and true method?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8216 on: February 06, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
Picked up 6 baby board books from someone offering on a buy nothing group. They look to be in unused condition. Super excited :)

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #8217 on: February 06, 2017, 07:55:14 AM »
I rode my bike 16 kms to meet some friends for tea while it was snowing. I'm typically NOT a winter cyclist, but this month I am on a trip for 2 weeks so I didn't buy a monthly metro pass. I wore my snowboard goggles, big mittens, and 2 layers of pants. LOL

The bike ride saved me $6.50 in transit fare.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8218 on: February 06, 2017, 09:56:31 AM »
My tried and true yogurt method:

Dump a gallon of homo milk in a pot. On medium high bring it up to 180 degrees (I use a digital meat probe or candy thermometer)

Cool in the sink in an ice water bath to 110 degrees. It goes fast so stay with it.

Remove from ice and whisk in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt with active cultures and 1/2 cup of skim milk powder.

Pour into large sterilized jars. Wrap the jars in a heating pad set to low. Cover with a large pot. After 4 hours start checking if yogurt is done by tipping jar sideways. Can take up to 8 hours with my heating pad.

I've done it this way for 15 years but am considering trying in my instant pot due to the success of others.

jordanread

« Reply #8219 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »

Dump a gallon of homo milk in a pot. On medium high bring it up to 180 degrees (I use a digital meat probe or candy thermometer)

Cool in the sink in an ice water bath to 110 degrees. It goes fast so stay with it.

Remove from ice and whisk in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt with active cultures and 1/2 cup of skim milk powder.

Pour into large sterilized jars. Wrap the jars in a heating pad set to low. Cover with a large pot. After 4 hours start checking if yogurt is done by tipping jar sideways. Can take up to 8 hours with my heating pad.

I've done it this way for 15 years but am considering trying in my instant pot due to the success of others.

What temperature is ideal when wrapped in the heating pad?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8220 on: February 06, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »
*At the risk of seeming like a crazy person, I took a bag of baby stuff from Buy Nothing Project. I'm not pregnant yet. But, we've been trying, plus no one had taken the offer... I'm the admin and trying to get the group moving, so I went for it. (Not having people want your stuff is super disheartening, I've been on the other side of it many times). 7 bibs, a waterproof changing cover, 3 spit rags, a baby towel, 2 swaddle blankets, 3 PJs, a couple onsies in perfect condition, and a tiny cardboard flip book. Washed them all and stored them in the top of our closet.

*We tried to save money. Shower is dripping, tried to replace the cartridge, but alas, no longer in production. So new trim kit it is. We'll save money here by just replacing the handle/cartridge assembly, and not the shower arm/shower head, which are fine. We'll just get a matching finish, obviously.

*Made a meal plan for the week, since DH is traveling for work/school again. This will use up leftovers nicely. Trying for no food waste!

*Cooked the last turkey we got after thanksgiving this weekend. Had friends over to help eat it. Going to do sandwiches with the leftovers. And this will clear space to help us be able to access other foods in the freezer- plus, we'll probably get a half pig soon. (Which reminds me, I need to price that out).

Sixof1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8221 on: February 06, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
*got a birthday present at the thrift store. Really nice adidas pullover and starwars cook book, couldn't have asked for a better find! All for about $15.00
*used up some gluten free cookie dough I didn't care for along with some hot coco mix we will never drink to make a cookie pudding pie for a super bowl party yester
*groupon is usually dangerous for me, I buy things I very much do not need. But today I noticed a coupon for a restaurant we go to regularly, $10 for $20 worth of food so I snagged it.

I had a lot of money fails last week, so trying to get this week started right!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8222 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Packed breakfast, lunch and snacks. 
Brought snacks to a party yesterday.  I used only items from my pantry instead of buying anything new. 
Brought tea from home to brew in my office. 
Ordered dog toothpaste and treats from Amazon.  Plus, brushing my dog's teeth every evening is helping to avoid expensive dental cleanings. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8223 on: February 06, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
Noticed our laundry soap, which I just bought last week at costco, was nearly $4 less this week due to a manf. instant rebate. Went to customer service and they did a price adjustment- were even able to look it up on my account since I didn't have my receipt. I asked the lady and they said they'll price adjust within 30 days, so that's something I'll keep an eye out for!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8224 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Noticed our laundry soap, which I just bought last week at costco, was nearly $4 less this week due to a manf. instant rebate. Went to customer service and they did a price adjustment- were even able to look it up on my account since I didn't have my receipt. I asked the lady and they said they'll price adjust within 30 days, so that's something I'll keep an eye out for!

Ooh, I didn't know that they would price adjust! I've bought things before based on the newest flyer - not realizing the sales started the NEXT week...

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #8225 on: February 06, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
Ordered dog toothpaste and treats from Amazon.  Plus, brushing my dog's teeth every evening is helping to avoid expensive dental cleanings.

Thank you for the reminder to brush my dog's teeth. I so need to get better about this because I know it'll save me in the long run.

Felt like I spent a fortune at the grocery store and Costco yesterday, but stocked up on some staples. I always feel like I've blown a ton of money at Costco, even though all we buy is a lot produce that is far cheaper than the grocery store. And, of course, the rotisserie chicken.

Treated ourselves to lunch at Costco. A very filling slice of pizza each and a drink to split for $4.81. Can't complain about that and it's been a long time since I've had a slice of pizza that good.

Found out that the nearby Jiffy Lube offers a 25% discount on oil changes for local government employees (AKA- me) and I have an extra 10% in cashback for them on my credit card. I'll stop by today to take care of my overdue car.

rachellynn99

• Stubble
« Reply #8226 on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
Packed Breakfast, lunches and snacks for the whole fam today. Had someone from another department drop off a bag of goodies as some kind of bribe to encourage my students to attend their program. Popcorn, cheese and cracker packs, an apple and some pretzels. Will eat the apple and store the other goodies until I need them.

No spend today. It's my late night teaching  ( well late like I get done at 5:30) so there is a crockpot of chicken and dumplins going for the family in case they start starving before I get home.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8227 on: February 06, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
I guess this isn't quite saving money, but at least I didn't do my usual bonehead move of registering kids for spring sports late, which would incur $60 in late fees.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8228 on: February 06, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
I caught a fraudulent $11.99 Netflix charge on my debit card before it went through, which will undoubtedly save me a plethora of headaches. Credit cards are one thing, but having my debit card jacked makes me awfully nervous. Sure, you'll probably get the money back eventually, but who wants to deal with $10,000 cash going missing?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8229 on: February 06, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »

What temperature is ideal when wrapped in the heating pad?

Sorry, jordanread, I don't actually know! Some people just leave it in a cooler wrapped in towels. Some people leave it in the oven overnight with the light on to provide a little heat. I think that low heat, in a range, is fine. Too hot would cook the yogurt, I would guess, and too cool would take much longer to incubate. I'm sure this isn't helpful much:-/

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8230 on: February 06, 2017, 09:46:57 PM »

My tried and true instant pot method:

1. dump gallon of milk into instant pot
2. close lid & press "yogurt" button
3. Wait 10 minutes till the instant pot beeps at me
4. Give ice bath to container with milk to get it to around 100 degrees F
5. Stir in 2 tablespoons of yogurt to seed the milk
6. Put container in instant pot and press yogurt button again
7. Timer beeps after 8 hour countdown
8. Strain yogurt with sieve and paper towel over large bowl
9. Eat greek Yogurt!

Its so ridiculously easy to make yogurt with the IP, honestly I would never have had the courage to do it any other way. 

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8231 on: February 06, 2017, 10:26:53 PM »
*At the risk of seeming like a crazy person, I took a bag of baby stuff from Buy Nothing Project. I'm not pregnant yet.

I took baby stuff from my Buy Nothing group before we were even trying! I figured that worst case scenario, I could pass it on again.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8232 on: February 06, 2017, 10:33:35 PM »
Tried to replace halogen bulbs (all of which had blown) with LEDs. LEDs flickered :-( Various people told us to call an electrician in case it was an underlying issue. Instead we listened to my brother, who said we should try another brand of LEDs with lower wattage. Brother was right! Problem solved. Probably saved $200 on getting an electrician out - though my electrician is very honest and practical so I choose to believe he would've made the same suggestion over the phone.

I've been failing to pack enough food for the workday since my calorie needs have skyrocketed during the second trimester of pregnancy. This has led to buying junk food at work - expensive and bad for me. So last night we bought a heap of easy snack food at the supermarket for me to graze on as needed. Is it as healthy and cost effective as cooking everything from scratch? Nope. But I'm trying not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good while I'm low on energy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8233 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
I've been failing to pack enough food for the workday since my calorie needs have skyrocketed during the second trimester of pregnancy. This has led to buying junk food at work - expensive and bad for me. So last night we bought a heap of easy snack food at the supermarket for me to graze on as needed. Is it as healthy and cost effective as cooking everything from scratch? Nope. But I'm trying not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good while I'm low on energy.

This is a great example of "don't make perfect the enemy of good". This is already a huge improvement on what you were doing, cost and healthwise. That's a win for sure =)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8234 on: February 07, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
This is a great example of "don't make perfect the enemy of good". This is already a huge improvement on what you were doing, cost and healthwise. That's a win for sure =)
Very true!  We keep frozen meals around for days when we can't be bothered to cook and clean up after ourselves.  All of the packaging, the cost, the horror!  However, it's about $7 for two instead of the $$ we would spend on take-out or delivery. 

Packed snacks, breakfast, and extra tea for work. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8235 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »
-the dripping shower saga continues. We heard back from Delta. They're sending us an adaptor for free that will let us use the new style of cartridges. I'm actually super impressed- the warranty doesn't cover new owners, only if you were the owner who put it in. We're like 5 removed from that, haha. Anyway, this will enable us to just use a $36 cartridge, so we will be returning the $126 trim kit we ordered, when everyone (local plumbing supply, Home Depot) said we were SOL except for 'questionable unapproved fixes'.

Long process, but it keeps getting cheaper, so I'm not complaining! (Went from 'new rough in valve and associated work? -> new trim kit? -> just new cartridge with adaptor')

-Sending DH out of town with tons of food, as usual.

-I follow local butchers, farms, CSAs, etc on facebook, so I occasionally see great deals come up. This month, that's local grassfed beef for $3.79/lb (in 36# boxes). That's even less than the 1/4 cow we bought, so I will definitely be buying one, possibly two of those! Glad we've been clearing out the freezer =) We haven't bought any meat in 6+ weeks.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8236 on: February 07, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
-the dripping shower saga continues. We heard back from Delta. They're sending us an adaptor for free that will let us use the new style of cartridges. I'm actually super impressed- the warranty doesn't cover new owners, only if you were the owner who put it in. We're like 5 removed from that, haha. Anyway, this will enable us to just use a $36 cartridge, so we will be returning the $126 trim kit we ordered, when everyone (local plumbing supply, Home Depot) said we were SOL except for 'questionable unapproved fixes'.

Long process, but it keeps getting cheaper, so I'm not complaining! (Went from 'new rough in valve and associated work? -> new trim kit? -> just new cartridge with adaptor')

Bracken_Joy, you go you!

I would have given up a long time ago, and called in a plumber.

Packed my lunch for today, and as well, packed a snack.  I often forget snacks, and today I have to leave the office mid-afternoon for a service at the local nursing home, which takes me right past a Tim Horton's.  That would be dangerous, if I didn't have something yummy waiting for me at the office...

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #8237 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
I cut my own hair for the first time ever, on Saturday. Yesterday night I noticed a mistake, and quickly repaired it with the thinning shears.

After the initial investment of $16 for clippers and $12 for scissors, this will save me about $20 (after tip) every 2 months. I'm quite proud of myself :) But I should have started sooner since it's very much a skill that should be practiced. I told my mom I wish she had just made me cut my own hair starting as a child. It would have saved a lot of drama for my young self.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8238 on: February 07, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »

Bracken_Joy, you go you!

I would have given up a long time ago, and called in a plumber.

I can't claim too much credit, DH is doing all the wrenching on things. I'm doing the 'online guide shuffle', flashlight holding, and email sending. It balances out =P Plus, he is the one turning off the water main each time, which I super appreciate as there is a GIANT spider that lives in there. My dad called it our "guard spider" when we moved in and I had him help me find the main, haha.

I cut my own hair for the first time ever, on Saturday. Yesterday night I noticed a mistake, and quickly repaired it with the thinning shears.

After the initial investment of $16 for clippers and $12 for scissors, this will save me about $20 (after tip) every 2 months. I'm quite proud of myself :) But I should have started sooner since it's very much a skill that should be practiced. I told my mom I wish she had just made me cut my own hair starting as a child. It would have saved a lot of drama for my young self.

Good job on the hair cutting! It's definitely a "final frugal frontier" for a lot of people =) I do DH's hair, but I'm still too scared to do my own. I just let it grow out for a year or two before going and getting it cut instead, haha.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8239 on: February 07, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »
Picked up 2 pairs of dress shoes from the repair guy today instead of buying new.  (they needed new heals). 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8240 on: February 07, 2017, 07:30:17 PM »
Called Amazon and had them cancel the Amazon Unlimited subscription that I never ordered.  +1 for Mint alerting me to the charge that I might not have noticed otherwise.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8241 on: February 07, 2017, 11:45:16 PM »
We switches insure company and they would order the old insureance to stop. It was never stopped and we ended up paying double. I wrote the new company and email and asked them to fix the problem. They did. I will get new new insurance in 30 days and money back since November.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8242 on: February 08, 2017, 12:21:41 AM »
*My daughter baked FIFTEEN loaves of whole wheat bread for our freezer today! My contribution was slicing and wrapping the loaves:-)

*She also made a pan of peanut butter bars and some whole wheat and raisin snack bars (yes, I have an amazing daughter!)

*Stayed home today - that's a good thing!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8243 on: February 08, 2017, 06:45:06 AM »
*My daughter baked FIFTEEN loaves of whole wheat bread for our freezer today! My contribution was slicing and wrapping the loaves:-)

*She also made a pan of peanut butter bars and some whole wheat and raisin snack bars (yes, I have an amazing daughter!)

... Can I borrow your daughter? Just for a day of cooking? :)

More practically: I just put on a ham bought on super sale (there are 3 more in the freezer), so we're having ham and potatoes and peas for dinner tonight, to the toddler's great joy. 6$ of meat should provide 5-6 meals for all of us, which is definitely not bad.

I bought a box of screws and some paint to finish the bookcases my husband is building for the baby's room (and I'll also use the paint to re-paint the base of a thrift store lamp I got for dirt cheap and re-wired). I also showed him how to use the Kreg pocket-hole thingy we borrowed from my dad (yay having 2 people with complementary woodworking knowledge in the family!), and the wood and top stain (we're painting the bottom and staining the top) and everything else for 2 short bookcases, including storage baskets, were already owned/left over from other projects. Yay skills! :)

I snagged a large rug my sister wanted to get rid of that I'd always loved. It needs SERIOUS cleaning, but I seriously like it, so I'm borrowing my in-laws' carpet cleaner and it'll look great once it's done. I also snagged old wood dressers that my parents no longer wanted, and am building picture shelves to put books on in the kid's room, and I had 3 posters printed and found frames on clearance for them... so in the end, we're furnishing/decorating/etc a kid's room, from the ground up, including furniture and all supplies, for under 100$. SKILLZ YO.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8244 on: February 08, 2017, 08:44:32 AM »
Kitsune's story reminded me of a conversation yesterday-

So, when we moved into our house in August, the carpets were... bad. Bad enough we ranked replacing them as "project #2" to do on the house briefly. But that is expensive. And they're not in bad shape structurally, just stained all to hell. So. Borrowed ILs steam cleaner. Got a couple strategically placed hallway runners. I've now steam cleaned the house 3 times since we bought it. And yesterday, my husband said, "you know, the carpets actually look pretty good. I think we'll get quite a few more years out of them." It's nice to see hard work pay off. And that just some elbow grease (and letting go of perfection) can kick a $5-10k expense years down the road.

Personally, I think the hallway carpets still look on the rough side, but I'll keep cleaning them every few months and see if we can't get some more of the staining out. And otherwise, jute runners rock ;)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8245 on: February 08, 2017, 09:09:24 AM »

So, when we moved into our house in August, the carpets were... bad. Bad enough we ranked replacing them as "project #2" to do on the house briefly. But that is expensive. And they're not in bad shape structurally, just stained all to hell. So. Borrowed ILs steam cleaner. Got a couple strategically placed hallway runners. I've now steam cleaned the house 3 times since we bought it. And yesterday, my husband said, "you know, the carpets actually look pretty good. I think we'll get quite a few more years out of them." It's nice to see hard work pay off. And that just some elbow grease (and letting go of perfection) can kick a $5-10k expense years down the road.

Personally, I think the hallway carpets still look on the rough side, but I'll keep cleaning them every few months and see if we can't get some more of the staining out. And otherwise, jute runners rock ;)

Kicking a 5-10K expense down the road = TOTALLY WORTH THE ELBOW GREASE.

Especially if you have/are planning on having kids, because I can GUARANTEE that those hallway carpets will get puked on at least once, and covered in dirt/dust/food/etc in the meantime. Kicking off the expense until AFTER kids are old enough to not wreck it within 5 years is well worth kicking off. :)

(Source: person who bought a cheap Ikea slipcovered couch for the early years in the interest of sanitation. We'll get a nice couch we like/get a vintage couch re-covered when we can have a reasonable certainty of basic sanitation, aka, that it won't get puke or excrement on it. Babies are GROSS.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8246 on: February 08, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

Kicking a 5-10K expense down the road = TOTALLY WORTH THE ELBOW GREASE.

Especially if you have/are planning on having kids, because I can GUARANTEE that those hallway carpets will get puked on at least once, and covered in dirt/dust/food/etc in the meantime. Kicking off the expense until AFTER kids are old enough to not wreck it within 5 years is well worth kicking off. :)

(Source: person who bought a cheap Ikea slipcovered couch for the early years in the interest of sanitation. We'll get a nice couch we like/get a vintage couch re-covered when we can have a reasonable certainty of basic sanitation, aka, that it won't get puke or excrement on it. Babies are GROSS.)

Yeah, planned babies is why we took it off the list in the first place. "Even if it's gross now, it'll get more gross". I don't want to go to hard flooring, I like wall to wall carpet, so it just makes sense to wait until a) they exist and b) they're a tad less pukey.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8247 on: February 08, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »

Wow, she is amazing! Please tell her that the internet is impressed with how helpful she is to her mama. :-)

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8248 on: February 08, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
I bought a new Nexus 5X phone from Google Fi for $150 off the cost of other retailers, while also moving my $85 a month cell phone plan from ATT to Google Fi for $40 a month.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8249 on: February 08, 2017, 09:12:45 PM »
Every month or six weeks we get a mailer from our local Family Dollar.  Most of the coupons are for stuff we don't use anyway, but the last few have had 5.00 off a purchase of 25.00.

The first two?  Well, the first two coupons I used to seriously stock us on toilet paper.  Mind you, their toilet paper is already 1.50 cheaper for the same number and size rolls for a 12 roll package as my normal grocery store.  Add in a 5.00 off coupon, and those two coupon runs saved me nearly 2.50 per package of TP.

This time, I had no use for MORE TP (or at least, no room...)  So I went on an exploratory walk of the food aisles.  My goal was to buy nothing I would not buy eventually from my local grocer, and to buy nothing for more than I would buy at the grocer either.  I had never explored their grocery section -- turns out, they have many brands that I buy anyway, for WAY less than the grocer....  No fresh food, but select shelf stable items did get bought...

Name brand tuna in water, beyers ice cream, soup for the "emergency lunch" stock, noodles, oatmeal, mac n cheese for the easy weekend lunch, and canned pineapple in juice got bought.  All at the same quality and brand as the grocer.  All already around 30% or more cheaper than my normal.  Add on the 5.00 off 25 coupon and I paid 22.00 for 17 items shelf stable items that I would have eventually bought anyway.

Admittedly little health benefits to many of them, but they are all last minute lunch/dinner items for those "no leftovers and no time to prep" days that otherwise end in take-out.  That and our normal breakfast of oatmeal, lunch side of sliced pineapple, and necessary evening ice cream fix ;)

Also important to note that we pass this Family Dollar everyday.  You cannot get from our house to town without going by.  So no extra gas either!