Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020586 times)

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12150 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »
Started a Mustachian salad?!?!?!?!  😵

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12151 on: November 23, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
We got home late from a vacation, & had no groceries in the house. Was tempted to order a Thanksgiving dinner vs making something, but made a full dinner from scratch. Did sub a roasted chicken for turkey, as I didn't have time to defrost & couldn't find anything fresh. Dinner was amazing, and we have tons of leftovers. I'd put the cost as close to purchasing, or slightly below, but the quality & taste was significantly better & we have plenty for at least 2-3 other meals.

Also, bought multiple gift cards we need (travel we're booking, Home Depot, etc) on discount. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12152 on: November 24, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
Installed a new zipper pull on the outer pocket of a suitcase. It would have been too difficult to unstitch and restitch at the base of the zipper, so I snipped it with a scissors as close to the base as I could, slipped on the new pull, and installed a new zipper stop with pliers.  I also sewed in a few stitches to secure it. 

I wouldn't put any priceless documents in that pocket, but still good enough that I won't have to buy a replacement!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12153 on: November 25, 2018, 03:14:32 PM »
Installed shrink plastic over the sliding glass door in the bedroom to weatherproof it. This house is only a few years old, and generally we don't need such workarounds, but we've installed a cat door in that sliding glass to let the cats out into the atrium, and it meant there were air leaks.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12154 on: November 25, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
Cooked a 3lb freezer-burned chuck roast from the freezer in my Instant Pot... over a year old. Trimmed a couple of spots that looked sketchy and rinsed it off in the sink; it came out perfectly! So pleased for both money reasons and environmental reasons not to waste a big piece of beef.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12155 on: November 26, 2018, 01:25:13 AM »
Ordered a new tent which had it's lowest price since the last 2 years on Black Friday. The day before I bought a new phone with 40% off. Both were paid with a cashback CC that gives 3% discount on web orders. Both are delivered in the mail by free.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12156 on: November 26, 2018, 02:20:07 AM »
Here in Norway we don't have private health insurance and therefore we need to pay our glasses and dentist ourselves.

I needed new glasses. Norwegian employers are obligated to cover any special glasses you would need to work on a PC if that is what you do a lot of the time. I am of the age that I am starting to need progressive glasses for reading.
I now get dedicated progressive PC glasses with an upper field that can see further away, like on a board in the meeting room. This way I only need one pair of glasses at work.

The shop had the package of 2 pairs of glasses for the price of one pair. Therefore I could also order an additional pair of new private glasses that can see far away in the middle and have a progressive field in the lower half to be able to read more easily. Apparently, progressive glasses of that kind are quite expensive, but at I least I got covered the whole sum that my PC glasses cost, as well as the measuring fee. I only needed to pay the difference in price for the second pair. I also choose an el cheapo frame.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12157 on: November 26, 2018, 02:39:40 AM »
Turkey sandwiches for lunch (we celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday rather than Thursday) and turkey pot pie probably for dinner tomorrow. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12158 on: November 26, 2018, 05:08:08 AM »
Cooked a 3lb freezer-burned chuck roast from the freezer in my Instant Pot... over a year old. Trimmed a couple of spots that looked sketchy and rinsed it off in the sink; it came out perfectly! So pleased for both money reasons and environmental reasons not to waste a big piece of beef.

DS, can you tell me how you programmed your IP to cook the meat? I have a chuck roast in the freezer and I normally cook it in the crockpot but last time it took forever. I was thinking of using the IP for this roast. I have had my IP for around a year and have not used it much. I had great success making yogurt in it and made a pea soup once and that came out good too. The one thing I don't like about the IP is how slow it is coming up to pressure.

There is a new IP type pot called Ninja and it browns chicken and other things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12159 on: November 26, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »

DS, can you tell me how you programmed your IP to cook the meat? I have a chuck roast in the freezer and I normally cook it in the crockpot but last time it took forever. I was thinking of using the IP for this roast. I have had my IP for around a year and have not used it much. I had great success making yogurt in it and made a pea soup once and that came out good too. The one thing I don't like about the IP is how slow it is coming up to pressure.

There is a new IP type pot called Ninja and it browns chicken and other things.

Not OP, but I use manual for everything. If I'm cooking meat from frozen, I submerge it- I'm not sure you could rely on the meat to thaw otherwise? So like for a big hunk of frozen pork, I'll put it on manual high pressure, submerged in water, for like 45 min to get it super tender so I can easily shred it. (IME, shredding is a great option for freezer burnt meat!) And then anything super fatty, high liquid level, or small grains (like rice) you want to natural pressure release so they don't sputter or clog the "blow hole".

My small savings: this weekend we ordered Husband new shoes from 6pm.com. I do this every year this time, to hit sales. Well, it was 10% off and free shipping. As I clicked through though, I didn't see a spot to apply the 10% off coupon code. I figured it would be the next screen, but instead it submitted the order! So I called them. Super good customer service. They'll refund the 10% after the order goes through, plus there's a $10 credit on my account to use in the next 90 days.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12160 on: November 26, 2018, 07:23:47 AM »
-Called Costco about a $19 price adjustment, which they credited
-Dealt with an issue with our rental car from our vacation, & earned a $35 cash back card
-Listed a bunch of stuff on eBay, two of which already have bids
-Went to two places to find cucumber this week (my son's favorite lunch snack), but both places were out, so I suppose waiting until Sunday afternoon to buy produce saved a bit of money ;-)
-Ate leftovers for dinner again

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12161 on: November 26, 2018, 08:05:41 AM »
-Local grocery store is having a cyber monday sale. Buy a $100 GC, get a $25 GC. Limit 4. So we bought 4. And it *should* ring up right on our rewards card, so an extra 6% back on that ($24 more). So, $524 for $404.95 (order service fee...) Not too shabby! And we really like this store and it's convenient, so no worries there, it'll get spent.
-Been watching the amazon lightning sales for things I buy in general. I was just able to get a pack of 6 pig ears for the puppy for $12. Normally we pay $5-6 each for them! These seem a little smaller than we get, but that's fine. And it's doubly money saving, because the more tasty animal bits the pup has to chew on, the less our stuff is in danger! Haha. But since I only give her one every 2-3 weeks, these will last a good while.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12162 on: November 26, 2018, 08:16:03 AM »
Was ordering shoes for kids and one pair for myself. Noticed I was a few points short of a $5 reward. Went to my reward points account and saw that $25 worth of reward points had just expired last week. d'Oh!  So I took my own shoes off the order, called them and they said they'll reinstate the points in the next week.  With the reinstated points and the points from my kids' orders, I should be able to knock $35 off the cost of the adult shoes!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12163 on: November 26, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Oh man, I forgot the other HUGE savings! I've had the same wool coat for 10 years now. Needless to say, it's getting VERY worn. Namely, the elbows are entirely threadbare, as are the cuffs. When my mom asked me what I want for Christmas, I thought, ah! wool coat. But I wanted to show her the style of the one I've had, since it works best for me. (The narrower cut ones currently popular don't give me enough range of motion in the arms, since I'm relatively broad shouldered for a woman). In searching for a picture of the coat to send her, lo and behold- the EXACT coat on ebay, in my size, same color. So for $23 ($8+$15s&h) I get to replace my jacket with a virtually unworn identical copy. All the new jackets I was seeing that would work were $85 minimum, up to like $150.

I had this same revelation with my hiking shoes last year. You'd think I'd remember by now to just check ebay and see if I can get the same thing again!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12164 on: November 26, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
I took advantage of Black Friday to stock up on Furnace filters at Home Depot...not exciting at all. I got them for $10/a filter, down from $20.

Stocking up on consumables is my favourite part of Black Friday. It's a great imported tradition, it doesn't interfere with thanksgiving in Canada so it's just another random day.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12165 on: November 26, 2018, 09:54:56 AM »
fixed my carpet cleaner when it looked like we'd have to give it away

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12166 on: November 26, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »
We had a late night last night, and contemplated take away, but instead put some rice in the cooker and microwaved the saag made last week.  Cheap meal and much better than take away.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12167 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:42 AM »
We had a late night last night, and contemplated take away, but instead put some rice in the cooker and microwaved the saag made last week.  Cheap meal and much better than take away.

That sounds awesome.  I was *thisclose* to ordering a pizza last night after working late, but came home and cooked a tray of homemade turkey enchiladas from the freezer.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12168 on: November 27, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
-Charged electric car for free at work
-Ate leftovers for dinner
-Arranged a carpool for kids soccer, so we only have to drive half the time

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12169 on: November 27, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
Saved $22 on parking by biking to a doctor’s appointment instead of driving.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12170 on: November 28, 2018, 04:52:23 AM »
Got a free ride on the bus today because the payment system was offline and they don't take cash anymore.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12171 on: November 28, 2018, 10:25:32 AM »
~Cooked bacon in the oven which warmed up the house.  :D

~Using the outgoing mail slot here at the office building instead of making a special trip into town.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12172 on: November 28, 2018, 11:01:32 AM »
Cooked freezer steaks instead of going out on our anniversary.  It wasn't optimal, but for various reasons we had gone out to eat already a few times last week so we were sick of eating out. Plus nothing interesting was open on a Tuesday.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #12173 on: November 28, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
I came here, and reading your collective badassity reminded me the road, and the goal :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12174 on: November 28, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
Bought a $0.39 per lb. turkey at Thanksgiving. Put the carcass, onion, celery, bones and skin in the crockpot and cooked it for 12 hours. Strained out all the bones and junk and then refrigerated the broth. Took off the grease the next day then froze the broth. Today we are having turkey soup/stew with veggies and biscuits on top tonight. So, this cheap turkey has turned out to be quite a frugal purchase!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #12175 on: November 28, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Bought a $0.39 per lb. turkey at Thanksgiving. Put the carcass, onion, celery, bones and skin in the crockpot and cooked it for 12 hours. Strained out all the bones and junk and then refrigerated the broth. Took off the grease the next day then froze the broth. Today we are having turkey soup/stew with veggies and biscuits on top tonight. So, this cheap turkey has turned out to be quite a frugal purchase!

Once I did it in front of a bunch of people (we were at a chalet for Thanksgiving) to make broth for a risotto, and you would have thought I was doing black magic for how they were surprised.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12176 on: November 28, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
turned off the heat today once the kids went to school and fired up the wood burning furnace in the basement.  Spent the whole day working from the basement instead of my normal home-office.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12177 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
My latest quarterly power bill was down $80. The small things are paying off.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12178 on: December 02, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »
-Sold a few things on eBay
-Took advantage of Target gift card deal to buy a gift (10% off of a gift card for something I was already buying)
-Made dinner out of pantry/freezer items, and have enough for two leftover dinners

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12179 on: December 02, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »
-Sold some shoes on Ebay
- made an amazing roasted chicken w/a bunch of root veggies that were on their last leg in the fridge
- ate a giant salad for dinner made of veggies that were left at the house I am dog sitting at. They would have gone bad before owners got home, so free dinner for me!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12180 on: December 03, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
I have a work dinner today so free fancy food, and another one in two weeks: more free fancy food! Bf at home is eating leftovers from this weekend, so not spending money either.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12181 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:57 AM »
I went grocery shopping over the weekend and bought meat + veg, but I kept running completely out of spoons due to health issues and insomnia, and I never managed to cook. But I did manage to save all the food by prepping it enough to go in the freezer (trimming and cutting vegetables, etc.). Huzzah, nothing wasted.

Also ran out of energy for holiday shopping (family party is Sunday) and found out I could get yet another free trial of Amazon Prime, so I was able to order gifts with overnight shipping for pretty cheap, which was mostly paid for by a $50 credit I had from doing a medical phone survey. I really prefer to shop local, but I tried tonight and was limping so badly I just couldn't face any more of it. :-/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12182 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
I made a pot of jam from a jar of frozen kiwis that I found in the freezer. This must have been leftover fruit from work from last summer. I obviously had not had time, energi or inspiration to do anything with it earlier.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12183 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Hope you feel better, @Dollar Slice

-Used a coupon & rewards to get my husband's Claritin for free yesterday
-Remembered to list a few Christmas ornaments on eBay, & one sold for $50.
-Leftovers all week + freezer challenge, helping me eat everything in the house
-Stuck at home (recovering after being rear ended on Wednesday), so not spending any money

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #12184 on: December 07, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Put on a sweater and scarf inside instead of turning up the Thermostat, cooked my own lunch at home from scratch - bacon and brussel sprouts, let the car coast in gear to save on fuel.  Combined errands I had to run.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12185 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:29 PM »
1. Took advantage of the 10% off deal on Target gift cards for several people on my list = $30. Used a 2% reward card - even more bang for my buck.
Somehow - this was not planned - by buying things that I had on my list - ended up with an $85 Target gift card. I'm still shocked.

2. Today - Saved $352. thanks to all you lovely people on the MMM forum - convinced Mr. R. to ask for a discount on a medical bill. He really didn't believe it was possible - the look on his face was - priceless. He phoned them and I coached him to use his rewards card instead of writing a check. Nice win:)

3. The kid asked for Amazon gift cards for X-mas - 5% off with Amazon prime card and another $15 on top - rinse and repeat a total of three times, gc for a birthday and another x-mas gift.
I will cancel prime before the first of the year - got a free trial and enjoying the perks for now.

4. Grocery Coupons - $5 if you spent $30 at Aldi and we just got one more $5 coupon, $1 off eggs, $3 off Coffee-made the BOGO deal even sweeter...
Free sample packs of tea.
Three free Kindle books (my choice) through Bookbub.

5. Instead of caving and buying an Insta Pot - I ordered a $10 replacement ring for my stovetop pressure cooker which we use all the time. It still works great and is made from heavy stainless steel. 

6. As usual - Fixed lunch for work for Mr. R. and cooked up a few batches of dinner ahead of time.

7. Used promo code for ordering gifts online (including sales items - double score), saved gas and time, and scored free shipping.

8. Announced we would no longer do gift exchanges with one family group - will save us about $150 this Christmas and going forward.

9. Took some time to hunt for CDs and perhaps a bank or cc bonus to help along my savings goals between now and January. Future savings.

10. Renewed my library card ...

... and yeah, we enjoy the cold weather, our old block home stayed 71 degrees while it was 55 outside. No Ac - no heat - $$$avings.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12186 on: December 08, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »
I went grocery shopping over the weekend and bought meat + veg, but I kept running completely out of spoons due to health issues and insomnia, and I never managed to cook. But I did manage to save all the food by prepping it enough to go in the freezer (trimming and cutting vegetables, etc.). Huzzah, nothing wasted.

Also ran out of energy for holiday shopping (family party is Sunday) and found out I could get yet another free trial of Amazon Prime, so I was able to order gifts with overnight shipping for pretty cheap, which was mostly paid for by a $50 credit I had from doing a medical phone survey. I really prefer to shop local, but I tried tonight and was limping so badly I just couldn't face any more of it. :-/

I know what you feel like. Just remember that we choose to be frugal to have money left over to spend on things we feel are important, and nothing is more important than our own wellbeing. This is why I'm choosing to not save any money on food today and get a €6 relatively healthy ready meal with lots of veggies for dinner, instead of a €2,50 frozen pizza. I'm home alone this weekend and with with work, grad school and health issues there's no energy to spare for cooking today.

I bought a CD my s/o wants for Christmas used and online, for €5. We are both frugal so used gifts are absolutely no problem for us.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12187 on: December 10, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
bought $11 tube of seam rip stopper and fixed a $250 parka

played w my son for 2 hours in cathedral to help my wife make $60 in the mean time .

made xmas tree out of felt and sewed the ornaments out of felt.  he loves it. 

paid $270 for a lead inspection of my home to make sure the tykes are safe.  we learned something important that we'll take care of

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12188 on: December 10, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
Was ordering shoes for kids and one pair for myself. Noticed I was a few points short of a $5 reward. Went to my reward points account and saw that $25 worth of reward points had just expired last week. d'Oh!  So I took my own shoes off the order, called them and they said they'll reinstate the points in the next week.  With the reinstated points and the points from my kids' orders, I should be able to knock $35 off the cost of the adult shoes!

Got the points, and instead of getting myself cute ankle boots which I would wear maybe 10 times a year, I'm getting track shoes for my son, who will wear them every day. He's been wearing a $20 pair of sneakers from Costco which I just realized are completely falling apart, and still placing at third or fourth place in the sprints.  With a pair of proper shoes, he should start winning!

Instead of buying a new Lego Advent calendar, I'm buying a used set and will use it to fill the drawers of our wooden Advent calendar.

@Dollar Slice , hope you wake up with more spoons in your account!
@MaybeBabyMustache , that's lousy about your car.  Hope you were not injured and that the other driver will pay for repairs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:16:08 AM by Poundwise »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12189 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
Domino’s had a buy one get one free promo.

Next up — using our “buy one get one free” blocks of cheese to make our own stash of frozen pizzas.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12190 on: December 10, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
Found a Thermos 10 oz “Funtainer” at Goodwill with a cartoon decoration my kids wouldn’t recognize or like. Spent 90 seconds with my stainless-steel scrubbie, removed all the decoration, washed it and now have a extra, nice, neutral thermos for hot lunch for the kids.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12191 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
Free lunch at a hotel, paid by my company. I ate a leftover portion from an earlier homemade dinner for dinner.

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #12192 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
refusing to go to the Grocery store, just ate steamed cauliflower with salad dressing! lol   not too bad  Going to eat the cupboard bare before I go again..

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12193 on: December 10, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
Thanks, @Poundwise . The other driver admitted fault, and I'm hoping to get the car repaired in the next week. I'm in some neck & back pain, but able to be back at work. I awkwardly cannot turn my head in meetings, so I either can't make eye contact with the person speaking, or have to get up & move positions. My team is enjoying this, as I look like a robot. ;-)

-We ate leftover stuffing & gravy from the freezer, I made mashed potatoes yesterday for dinner tonight, and we finally made a turkey breast. We will have it for two dinners this week, and I have six dinner size portions ready to go into the freezer. This is wonderful, but I'm trying to clear out my freezer! I'd forgotten all about this turkey. ;-)
-Drove electric car & charged for free at work
-Listed a few more items on eBay

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12194 on: December 12, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
I dig some parsnips out of my snowy garden!  I'll be making a soup using parsnips, turkey, and rice.  And probably some carrots, also from the garden.  It's cold an snowy outside, definitely soup weather.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12195 on: December 12, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
-Walked to and from yoga.
-Made soup yesterday that used up a lot of veggie odds and ends that might have gone bad

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12196 on: December 12, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
ate slightly rotten food from fridge, 2nd day in row
will stop eating clif bars and make my own alternative

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12197 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
Yikes, @letsdoit - I hope you are feeling ok!

-Drove my electric car to work (no gas costs)
-Made dinner from various fridge/freezer items. My freezer cleanout continues!
-We've decided to take my son out of club soccer (unrelated to financial reasons), but it will save a significant amount per year. Some of that will be diverted to other activities, but I'm guessing there will be about a $1k savings/year after that

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12198 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »
I baked bread, which put the family in good moods so they didn't balk at eating leftovers. Though oldest son spent $10 on dinner while at the track meet, so we treaded water on dinner.

I'm enjoying another box of imperfect organic produce I got delivered. Two of my friends signed up through my referral link so I got 50% off.

I wrapped up leftover rice in plastic wrap and froze it, so no food is going bad on the counter.

Haggled with insurance and contractors over a remediation being done on our property. Slowly but surely the costs we will have to pay are going down. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12199 on: December 13, 2018, 02:55:06 AM »
Walked to work today and will walk back in the afternoon.

Ordered parking at the airport for our next trip with a 50% discount. I choose the el cheapo parking outside.

I would also like to find a cheap rental car, but haven't succeeded yet. For some reason, renting a car in the Netherlands costs more than twice as much as renting a car in southern Europe.