Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2369674 times)

StiffUpperLip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6750 on: July 20, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
I commute from a small unmanned local train station so need to buy my ticket on the train. About half of the commuters on the train down this.

No conductor to be found today so no ticket... No opportunity to buy one at the other end either as it's also unmanned...

Saved 5 but it wasn't really my doing, does it still count?

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6751 on: July 20, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »
Yesterday rather than today: I faked a migraine so that I could ask an unwanted guest to leave (not as good as just being assertive and asking her to go but better than some of the other passive agressive stuff I might have done in times past), saving myself not only stress and three more days of feeling invaded and my space violated but also at least two dinners out and at least one bottle of wine.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6752 on: July 20, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
*Frugal dinner tonite will be: devilled eggs, chicken salad on homemade buns (leftover chicken from whole chickens), pudding (from a mix) and fruit (ETA: also made a quick quinoa salad .. the whole dinner was a hit on this rather warm night!)

*Drying laundry outside

*No a/c

*Homemade iced tea this afternoon

*Stayed home
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:57:20 AM by 1967mama »

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6753 on: July 20, 2016, 06:43:07 PM »
I made madeleines. The local cost of these things is approximately $lolwtf, if they're even in at the bakeries in the rough area, and so once more I have saved a bundle by just mixing together some eggs, flour, butter and sugar and throwing it into the oven!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6754 on: July 20, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
* Picked up a thrifted Cuisinart ice cream maker a few weeks back; first batch of homemade vanilla is churning right now.

* Found a huge 20"x14" anodized roasting pan at Goodwill for about 80% off retail. I am ready for Thanksgiving turkey time!

* Found a couple of small appliances I should be able to clean/refurbish and sell for profit.
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

dignam

• Stubble
« Reply #6755 on: July 20, 2016, 08:40:23 PM »
I had a no spend day yesterday.  Made a quick, easy breakfast at home, work paid for lunch, and made dinner at home.  Didn't whip out the credit card once all day :)

cerat0n1a

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6756 on: July 21, 2016, 02:46:40 AM »
I commute from a small unmanned local train station so need to buy my ticket on the train. About half of the commuters on the train down this.

No conductor to be found today so no ticket... No opportunity to buy one at the other end either as it's also unmanned...

Saved 5 but it wasn't really my doing, does it still count?

Can you save money by getting a season ticket? When my wife commuted to London, the weekly ticket worked out cheaper provided she was there for 3 or more days and (away from weeks off/holidays) a monthly ticket was even cheaper.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6757 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:55 AM »
Had two very cheap days at home due to illness. No transport costs, very little in the way of food costs, just a lot of laying about moaning to myself (and a sympathetic forum buddy).

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6758 on: July 21, 2016, 06:00:08 AM »
Made $15 selling some yarn I had lying around leftover from making baby blankets (back before I had a kid and discovered that babies receive approximately 10 million blankets and there is no need to add another to the pile).

Cancelled Netflix ($8.99/mo savings).

Changed the data on our cell phone plan to save $8.50/mo.

Made cold brew coffee, banana oat chocolate chip cookies from overripe bananas, and improvised a red curry with salmon for dinner since I was getting bored with the grilled meat/fish + veggies combination we default to in summer.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6759 on: July 21, 2016, 10:37:52 AM »
Spending my lunch break stripping hinges from cabinets at work. After bringing home some of the cabinets from the demo, my husband said that the hinges are like $8 each and he uses them frequently. So now I'm getting him a stash from the ones no one wants.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6760 on: July 21, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
* Shipped my sister's birthday present as part of a mystery shop at USPS, so free shipping for me (after reimbursement)

* Leftovers for lunch, including eating up some snacks my sister left in the fridge last time she was at my house

* Had our pediatrician switch my son's prescription from CVS to Publix, where they fill common antibiotics for free

* Upgraded our wireless data plan from 4GB to 6GB, as this turns out to be $2 cheaper per month because of extra discounts with the 6GB plan

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6761 on: July 21, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »
Didn't do it on purpose but since I ended up singing really badly in my audition for a new choir this evening I've saved myself 25 euro for the summer party at the weekend and a cool 300 for a rehearsal weekend in September. Now to go looking for a more suitable choir (even before my audition it was pretty clear to me that that choir wasn't a good fit for me).

Lazyretirementgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Handlebar
« Reply #6762 on: July 21, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Realized the cable payment hadn't showed up on my credit card yet. Oops, look like auto-pay didn't auto pay, and there's a $6 late fee. Called RCN and they (supposedly) took it off. Ugh missing payments due to technical difficulties really makes me angry because I've otherwise NEVER missed a payment for anything in my life. This is why I don't trust auto-pay (but RCN charges a credit card fee if you make a one-time payment each month).
If you have online banking, you may be able to set up your own auto pay to push the payment out every month. I do that with most recurring bills and have never had a problem in 9 or 10 years of doing it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:30:30 PM by Lazyretirementgirl »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6763 on: July 21, 2016, 08:40:12 PM »
*Didn't use the a/c today, even thought it was 26.5 in the house (I know, I'm a wimp) ~ trying to adapt to the heat rather than use the a/c and not be complainypants about it. Using fans instead.

*Leftovers for lunch

*Made 2 icy smoothies at different points today to fill my tummy and keep cool at the same time

*Easy crustless quiche for dinner

*Didn't drive anywhere today

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6764 on: July 22, 2016, 01:57:35 AM »
I'm heading to my parents' place on the train, and had to change trains. I was a bit peckish, but instead of spending $2+ on something from the convenience store at the station, I walked across the street to the fruit shop and bought a banana and a mandarin for the grand price of $0.35.

Healthier too.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Tamster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6765 on: July 22, 2016, 01:20:44 PM »
<peeking back in from busy week> thank you for the links to easy hamburg roll recipes, I will definitely be trying them. Today was a home day, exercised,  balanced check book, wondered why my homeowners insurance went up $80, DS1 did laundry today (his shift), went for a walk before the humidity landed. Read some, now watching Little House on the Prairie and having some box wine. Big doings for a Friday. We have a cookout tomorrow, already made a bean salad - so easy, it was my first time making one. Kids have a sleepover tomorrow night, so I may go see the new Star Trek movie. Not a money savings, but....Star Trek!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6766 on: July 24, 2016, 12:31:47 PM »
Redeemed $78 worth of CC rewards for statement credits. 

Skipped breakfast and now having a lunch of homegrown veggies with CostCo bacon and a duck egg (the duck egg is actually cheaper because I only eat one.

Spent much of this weekend putting up food - canned peaches and peach compote, dried oregano and marjoram, fermented veggie pickles, rhubarb and kombucha, freezing blueberries and probably more of the peaches since I have about 30# of them left to put to use.

This afternoon I'll give my dog a bath and a clip out at the stable and trim horses' hooves, which would be about $150 altogether if I was in the habit of paying others for these services.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6767 on: July 24, 2016, 01:04:44 PM »
Washed, waxed, vacuumed, and cleaned the windows of both our cars.

Meal planned for the week with an eye towards using food we already have and minimizing the number of things we'll need to buy, focusing on crockpot meals to keep from heating the house.

Moved the furniture and watched a bunch of YouTube two-step and salsa lessons for our at home date night. I went out dancing all the time when I was single, and DH wants to learn.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Forum journal

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6768 on: July 24, 2016, 01:05:07 PM »
Cheap Sunday entertainment: went to our local Greek Deli/Coffee Shop/Tienda that has a Pokestop and a gym. For $3.50, my husband, our friend who stayed the night, and I spent a lovely 30 min catching pokemon and chatting over coffee on a nice outdoor patio. This is much better than our old normal when this friend would stay, which usually involved going out for breakfast, then walking around with expensive fancy coffees.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:22:55 PM by Bracken_Joy »
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Verdandi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6769 on: July 24, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
Cheap Sunday entertainment: went to our local Greek Deli/Coffee Shop/Tienda that has a Pokestop and a gym. For $3.50, my husband, our friend who stayed the night, and I spent a lovely 30 min catching pokemon and chatting over coffee on a nice outdoor patio. This is much better than our old normal when this friend would stay, which usually involved going out for breakfast, then walking around with expenses fancy coffees.

That sounds really relaxing and fun!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6770 on: July 24, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
We had a lovely but spendy relative stay last night.

He wanted to go to a movie then out for dinner. We ended up listening to music and having drinks at home then walking to a local pop-up burger place (his shout).

I also waited till he'd had a few beers then had a chat about super and tax. He was very receptive.

LorettaLynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6771 on: July 24, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
All told this rambling may be a wash, but,...  Yesterday I donated all my old prescription glasses to a Lions Club box at the library and today I ordered a pair of backups and a pair of transitions type glasses from Zenni.  (I am going to have to take a class with a large outdoor element and these glasses will come in handy.)  Then I sold an item off a Facebook page for $20 and went out to lunch.  I didn't think it was bad in anyway but the restaurant brought me out a second replica and said "This is what it was supposed to look like", so that will be a meal tonight or tomorrow.  Also, the workplace has installed a groovy new ice water fountain so I am hydrating like crazy vice drinking my usual soda pops. 

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6772 on: July 24, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »
* Canceled insurance on my 3yo smartphone, which should save $11 a month.

* Picked up two huge rolling coolers and a 5-gal Igloo drink dispenser from a Freecycler; useful for kid events, parties and storing our earthquake kits.

* Nobody liked the brand of orange juice I bought for weekend breakfast, so turned it into juice popsicles instead.

* Cut some branches of lemon verbena to dry for herbal tea
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6773 on: July 24, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »

*Making hummus from scratch for good healthy snacks this week

I must admit, I read that as making humans from scratch, which is great, have fun,
but for good healthy snacks? I don't think so!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6774 on: July 24, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »
Sold our dishwasher, as the place we are moving into already has one.

Made $325.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6775 on: July 24, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »
Spent $15 on sunshades for my car. Why did this save money? It will keep the interior temperature down when parked in the sun at work, thereby extending the life of my hybrid battery.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6776 on: July 24, 2016, 06:01:01 PM »
Nobody left the property today, but I can't say, as I sometimes do, that we didn't go down off the mountain. We both went down to the foot of the mountain to work on the gate he's installing on our access road.

Made broth from the carcass of a chicken bought for 0.99 a pound yesterday, and we had our second meal from it in the form of leftover roast chicken and veggies. There will be two more meals (chicken first and then Mexican dip). The dogs had their first meal of what we've lovingly dubbed "chicken goo" tonight and they have enough for tomorrow.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6777 on: July 24, 2016, 06:42:29 PM »
Made a plan for how best to incorporate some of the dried beans and chickpeas from the pantry into the meal plan for the next few weeks. I'm trying to eat up some of what we have stocked before I put in my next order with the bulk shop - which means making sure we eat lots of the legumes before I stock up again, and finding alternatives to our nut-based recipes because we're just about out of almonds and completely out of cashews, and I don't want to pay supermarket prices!

As always, brought my lunch and snacks from home.

I think I've come up with a way to gamify staying away from the chocolate box at work and rewarding myself for that and for walking home / getting extra exercise. I think every day I don't buy candy at work is worth $2, and every day that I walk home instead of taking the bus is worth another $2. This money is put into a garden fund for me to buy plants and gardening equipment, which is something I love spending money on AND is far more mustachian in the long run. I think this could work!

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #6778 on: July 24, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
I think I've come up with a way to gamify staying away from the chocolate box at work and rewarding myself for that and for walking home / getting extra exercise. I think every day I don't buy candy at work is worth $2, and every day that I walk home instead of taking the bus is worth another $2. This money is put into a garden fund for me to buy plants and gardening equipment, which is something I love spending money on AND is far more mustachian in the long run. I think this could work!

Nice job on finding a way to gamify it!

We made some jerky ahead of our vacation next week.

Also made pizza tonight from stuff in the fridge - despite being hugely hot in the house and not wanting to cook.

Didn't turn on the AC despite the temps inside being in the 30's C.

Started freezing coffee to make ice cubes for our trip, they'll keep food cold and as they slowly melt we'll have cold iced coffee in the morning instead of being tempted to buy some at festival prices.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6779 on: July 24, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
Baked 4 spaghetti squash left from last season.  Will freeze a bunch in single servings.

Roasted all the seeds.  Ended up with 2 cups.

Made a cucumber salad with 2 of this year's cukes.

Spend nothing day.
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6780 on: July 25, 2016, 12:43:27 AM »
I made a small, outdoor table today from recycled wood. I painted it blue, from a can of paint left over from ten years ago when I painted the deck blue (a big mistake!). It's a pretty color, and I am working on using that last 1/2 gallon up.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6781 on: July 25, 2016, 12:58:26 AM »
Took all of the spare change that had accumulated in the kids piggy banks and stashing places to the bank and deposited it in DH's account -- roughly $17 worth.   I kept track of whose was whose as I was counting it, so after we tally up all the book, toy and game sales and allocate them across the two kids, I'll deposit the equivalent in USD into their US bank accounts.  They can use that to buy wants when we get back.

Went through several different permutations of getting USD from DH's account to mine (to pay the mortgage).  Ended up doing an electronic transfer.  There were fees associated, but they also would have charged fees just for us to withdraw the money (WHAAAAAAT?????) and we would have had to do it it two transactions (can't deposit more than $5k/day unless you have proof of the source of the money), so we just bit the bullet.  Total fees were around US$5 for the transfer, which saves us $30 compared to me wiring the money in from our US accounts.  Puts enough in the account to cover 4 months of mortgage payments.  Hopefully we'll have a buyer before then and will be able to get the mortgage paid off before December's payment is due.

Ordered the kids pizza for lunch today but DH and I ate out of the fridge.  We also earned enough points that their next pizza will be free.  We'll use that when we get back from our trip -- final pizza in Beijing, I guess!  Seems fitting to get it for free.
Wherever you go, there you are

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6782 on: July 25, 2016, 02:57:04 AM »
Closed a superfluous bank account to save on fees and streamline my banking.

In the same vein, I made a phone call to alter our payment frequency for professional membership fees. Mine were being deducted fortnightly, my husband's were coming out weekly. They are both now monthly, and we will drop his completely as soon as he receives a new FT contract.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6783 on: July 25, 2016, 03:30:07 AM »
I'm going on a diet so that will mean I will eat less food (obviously) and have to meal plan so hopefully no wasted food.:)

A huge vet bill today will definitely not be money saving.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6784 on: July 25, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
Sunday walked to the local farm instead of driving to pick up a few ears of their own sweet corn for lunch. Never would have "wasted" the time to walk there during working years. Had a great time walking around sampling tastes they put out and listening to cooking demos.

Got a tip from the sweet corn cook who said to cook it as little as possible to get it soft. He recommended 2 minutes in boiling water for their small ears. For years I've been putting one ear, husk on, into the microwave for 7 minutes. Sure enough, the corn I bought that day was much sweeter and still done at only 5 minutes.

Round trip ended up being 1 1/2 hours. Corn $2.50. Well worth it. Plus I wasn't tempted to buy anything else knowing I would have to haul it home.
Passed ER second year anniversary

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6785 on: July 25, 2016, 06:50:47 AM »
Mint stopped working for me a month ago. After many back and forths with their techs, they still can't get it working. Our main bank won't sync at all, and we lost all our data (over a year, boo). Before buying YNAB (especially because I know I'll struggle to make myself use it) I decided to try out personal capital- and it works! I had tried PC last year and it *didn't* work for 3 different accounts, but it looks like they cleaned stuff up on that front really well.

Anyway, two-fold money savings: they type the comes with an awareness of your spending (nebulous but vital), and the direct, did not pay for YNAB savings.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Eucalyptus

• Stubble
« Reply #6786 on: July 25, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
Mint stopped working for me a month ago. After many back and forths with their techs, they still can't get it working. Our main bank won't sync at all, and we lost all our data (over a year, boo). Before buying YNAB (especially because I know I'll struggle to make myself use it) I decided to try out personal capital- and it works! I had tried PC last year and it *didn't* work for 3 different accounts, but it looks like they cleaned stuff up on that front really well.

Anyway, two-fold money savings: they type the comes with an awareness of your spending (nebulous but vital), and the direct, did not pay for YNAB savings.

Interesting! I'm on a similar train at the moment. In the last ~week:

1. Did my taxes.
2. Spent the time to do a careful Excel budget spreadsheet.
3. Got rid of Pocketbook which wasn't syncing good enough to my bank for me. It gives notifications every day, but as all the transactions are days behind it was meaningless to me. Put my new envelope style budget into Goodbudget and set that up. Works perfectly. I enter EVERY. SINGLE. TRANSACTION. But that is actually a good thing for me I'm finding, as i'm in total control of my spending and aware of it, and how my budget is going every time! :-)

Littler things:
4. Careful bulk shopping from Costco, Aldi, Rite Price (a store that sells mostly out of date stuff in Aus).
5. Spent an hour on Sunday cutting up a bunch of carrots, potatoes, pumpkin. Total cost about 70 cents (pumpkin free from Dad's garden). At least 8 roast veggie meals.
6. Finally got the courage to email Darn Tough to ask if they will warranty two pairs of socks. I didn't think they would. I was willing to post them to the US for it if they would (~$15 postage international, about 30% the cost of two new pairs). They told me the would warranty, just email photos! Two new pairs of awesome socks on the way. I have 8 pairs in total. I love them. If that company stays in business...I have a lifetime set of awesome socks...

brute

• Bristles
« Reply #6787 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:16 AM »
I bought a massive thing of pork chops that was half off due to being old. Got it home, smelled a little weird, but not dangerous. Marinated it in some homebrewed porter for 6 hours. Covered up any off flavors, ended up being fantastic topped with some old mushrooms and goat cheese. Protein goals for the day met, and $3 under food budget for the day.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6788 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
I looked through the Naturalizer summer shoe sales to find/buy 3 pairs of shoes I actually needed.
1) A pair of warm winter boots that are not huge clunky good-for--40-weather boots, which were the only ones I had last winter, and I cursed not having something more comfortable and walkable at least 5 days a week. 75% off the usual price, and cheaper than what I have been seeing at the thrift store (and those were in dubious condition).
2) A pair of walkable closed-toed shoes to replace the pair that currently have 3 holes in the soles. I got hurraches, which are comfortable and breatheable and have a great supportive sole that don't hurt my feet. Less than 30$.
3) A pair of office-appropriate low-heeled slingback shoes to wear with skirts and dresses all summer... because I've been wearing shoes of that description for 10 years, and after 10 years my other ones gave up and not even the cobbler could rescue them. Replacement: 40$.

I have a personal rule of no clothes/shoe shopping unless it is 1) something I've been lacking and feeling the lack for more thna 3 months (see: a second pair of winter boots to actually suit the needs I have), or 2) a replacement for something I've worn to pieces, and then I'll typically spend more for quality and comfortand wear the second one to pieces eventually too.

If things fit rules 1 and 2 AND are 75% off? It's a good day. :)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6789 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »
Saturday I took the kids to a puppet show at the library.  Free and fun entertainment for all of us.  The whole family then went to the movies that night - my husband and I paid for our tickets with a free movie voucher I got from Marlboro (we don't smoke, but I'm signed up for all the free stuff they give away), and since both my kids are under 3, they were free, so more free entertainment as we did not purchase any snacks from concessions.

Yesterday, I made up two batches of blueberry jam and canned it, then made a batch of blueberry muffins, using up the last blueberries from the bucket my husband and daughter picked a few weeks ago.  Got all the canning supplies on a mystery shop at a local grocery store, so very cheap (and yummy!) jam for us!

MissNancyPryor

• Stubble
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #6790 on: July 25, 2016, 11:22:22 PM »
I harvested my garlic!  We have been growing new garlic every year from a single head we got at the Gilroy Garlic Festival back in 2005.  I will plant another batch from this harvest in September and go another year, we get about 28 heads each season from the descendants of that original fist.   

This year I also improved my small garlic patch by putting in a raised bed.  I had saved all my old birch drawers from our bathroom remodel and used a large 2x2 one with the bottom taken out as a bed frame.  I filled it with our homemade compost and dirt and planted lettuce.  It is kind of hot for lettuce right now but I am hoping I can get some young leaves pinched off before it is time do the garlic again in that space in 2 more months.  Lettuce always needs to be off the ground around here or you are just feeding the slugs and bugs.   

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #6791 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:43 AM »
Reused packaging material to send out some items I sold through our version of CL.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6792 on: July 26, 2016, 06:09:35 AM »
I had saved all my old birch drawers from our bathroom remodel and used a large 2x2 one with the bottom taken out as a bed frame. 

Oh that is SO resourceful. I just threw out a bunch of hard wood drawers. Wah.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6793 on: July 26, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
*made a huge pot of baked beans from scratch

*kids are in a 5 day camp - attending for free because I billeted 2 coaches for 4 nights

*no a/c use even though I reaaaaaalllly wanted to use it

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #6794 on: July 26, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
I ate very well today, including a delicious beef stew and a little brownie for a treat, and I didn't spend a penny.

I also didn't buy any more kitchen stuff. I've gotten to the point where replacing all the low-hanging fruit has been done, so now it's time to really think about what else I actually need, as in want to and would use regularly. There won't be any more kitchen purchases until next month.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6795 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:13 PM »
Made yogurt with milk that was on clearance and flavored it with some of the peaches I bought straight from the farm for canning.  Still have more milk left to make mozzarella tomorrow (though I'm not sure it will be very cost effective).

Made a lunch for tomorrow with homegrown potatoes and onions.

Arranged to have a coworker pick me up on the way to our field site tomorrow instead of meeting at the office only to go back the way I came.

Had a simple dinner of zucchini noodles with a squash from a coworker and pesto and tomatoes from the garden.

Didn't spend any money today.

Filled out and mailed a mail-in rebate for $14.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6796 on: July 27, 2016, 06:18:01 AM »
Brought some inherited family jewelry that had been languishing for years in the safety deposit box to an auction house for free appraisal day. I used Kaminski in Beverly, MA but I'm sure others do the same thing. There is a limit of 5 items at a time. They took some of it.

Previously I had taken the box contents to an independent appraiser and for $85 just had them sort it by approximate value - over $300 auction, midprice consignment, $100 or lower eBay. If I wanted to save the $85 I could have brought it all to Kaminsky but at 5 items a shot it is too far to drive.

If I add up the cost of the safety deposit times the 13 years I paid the fee ... Hard lesson - old things do NOT necessarily appreciate. Stuff goes out of fashion. Age wear sets in.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6797 on: July 27, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
* Had oatmeal for breakfast, that I had cooked on Sunday (I make a big batch and portion it out for the week for breakfast at work)
* Traded some of my blueberry jam for a friend's strawberry jam
* Hubby cooked dinner with ingredients we already had in the freezer, with enough for leftovers for lunch today
* Got a mystery shop to cover the cost of my son's prescription (we have insurance, but a high deductible plan, so this saves me the OOP cost on that)

marcela

• Bristles
« Reply #6798 on: July 27, 2016, 07:52:18 AM »
Yesterday I asked a coworker for a ride home from a meeting instead of calling an uber. My husband had our only car all day at his work and I would have had to sit for 2 hours to wait for him to pick me up. Saved me a $6 uber ride.

I'll be travelling for work tomorrow and Friday. Booked a hotel with mini fridge and microwave and will eat in the room and pocket my per diem.
Sunday is my husband's birthday and we debated what to do to celebrate. We've decided to have some friends over to our community pool and do a lunchtime grill out. Burgers, hot dogs and mixed berry cobbler. The earlier hour means people won't be as tempted to drink heavily and one of our guests offered to bring soft drinks. We stocked up on beer when it was BOGO at Publix a few weeks ago. I'm checking grocery sales to figure out where to buy the other groceries needed.

On the birthday note, I'm currently fighting against the urge to buy my husband more gifts. I bought him a handmade leather journal with Zelda based designs when we went to the Ren Faire in January. I was really happy with the gift, and wrote a meaningful note inside it about all the things coming up in this year (he graduates professional school, we're hoping to buy a house and have a baby).

The trouble is that boxes and boxes of gifts keep showing up from his mother and sister. I opened one box thinking it was something I had ordered from Amazon and there was a brand new Xbox One in there (we have the old model) and another $150 worth of dvds and video games. That was only the first box. Another 4 have arrived and he's picking up one from Fedex this afternoon and something else is arriving on Friday. My gift now seems woefully inadequate in the face of all this bounty. It's also hard because I'm the keeper of the budget in our home and my husband would be more spendypants if it wasn't for me and so I now feel like I deprive him year round and now I'm give him a wimpy gift on his birthday.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6799 on: July 27, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Yesterday I asked a coworker for a ride home from a meeting instead of calling an uber. My husband had our only car all day at his work and I would have had to sit for 2 hours to wait for him to pick me up. Saved me a $6 uber ride.

I'll be travelling for work tomorrow and Friday. Booked a hotel with mini fridge and microwave and will eat in the room and pocket my per diem.
Sunday is my husband's birthday and we debated what to do to celebrate. We've decided to have some friends over to our community pool and do a lunchtime grill out. Burgers, hot dogs and mixed berry cobbler. The earlier hour means people won't be as tempted to drink heavily and one of our guests offered to bring soft drinks. We stocked up on beer when it was BOGO at Publix a few weeks ago. I'm checking grocery sales to figure out where to buy the other groceries needed.

On the birthday note, I'm currently fighting against the urge to buy my husband more gifts. I bought him a handmade leather journal with Zelda based designs when we went to the Ren Faire in January. I was really happy with the gift, and wrote a meaningful note inside it about all the things coming up in this year (he graduates professional school, we're hoping to buy a house and have a baby).

The trouble is that boxes and boxes of gifts keep showing up from his mother and sister. I opened one box thinking it was something I had ordered from Amazon and there was a brand new Xbox One in there (we have the old model) and another $150 worth of dvds and video games. That was only the first box. Another 4 have arrived and he's picking up one from Fedex this afternoon and something else is arriving on Friday. My gift now seems woefully inadequate in the face of all this bounty. It's also hard because I'm the keeper of the budget in our home and my husband would be more spendypants if it wasn't for me and so I now feel like I deprive him year round and now I'm give him a wimpy gift on his birthday.

Maybe you could plan a day out just the two of you?  There are lots of frugal things you could do - pack a picnic and take it to a park, find out if your local museums have any free exhibit days, take a day trip somewhere (beach, mountains, etc.).   Do something that's an experience for him, rather than a gift, type of thing.