Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020744 times)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13300 on: September 27, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
I spent $10 on an older edition of a textbook I needed (with Prof's blessing), then spent a couple hours in the school library with the current edition matching up the page numbers from my reading list for the new edition to the older edition.  Savings, $220. Plus, I shared this reading list update for the older edition with classmates and boosted my social capital.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13301 on: September 27, 2019, 01:12:35 PM »
Small thing: out of last-minute desperation more than cheapness, I wrapped a birthday gift in a leftover scrap of wallpaper and made it a package bow out of cut up strips from a dog food bag (it looked perfectly professional - you couldn't tell what it came from.)

Not-so-small thing, but one which saved my employer's money, not directly mine: because I'd signed up for automatic notifications of activity on my payroll processing company's site, I discovered that my company's accounting person had fallen for an email scam and changed my direct-deposit information to henceforward send my paychecks to the scammer's offshore account.  We were able to get this changed back before the direct deposit processed.  Annoyingly when I first brought this to the accounting person's attention she insisted that I had changed this information myself and that I must be working so hard that I'm too frazzled to remember that.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #13302 on: September 28, 2019, 09:25:56 AM »
I spent $10 on an older edition of a textbook I needed (with Prof's blessing), then spent a couple hours in the school library with the current edition matching up the page numbers from my reading list for the new edition to the older edition.  Savings, $220. Plus, I shared this reading list update for the older edition with classmates and boosted my social capital.

Lucky. I tried to do that this semester, but it turned out there was a code I needed for an online research article that the used book didn't have. I ended up PAYING $49 to access the article, negating most of my savings on the old book.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13303 on: September 28, 2019, 12:04:34 PM »
I found some bacon marked down to 99c a package while grocery shopping this morning.  I bought all 7 packages and stuck 6 in the freezer, since they're within a week of the expiration date.  99c bacon plus homegrown eggs and potatoes made for a very economical brunch this morning!

I want a rack to hang clean saddle pads in the garage, and have figured out how to build one from materials I already have sitting around.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13304 on: September 28, 2019, 11:07:34 PM »
For the staging of our house, I needed some rugs. Ikea had sale of their last year's model. I saved 50%. I also bought something second hand, without much fuss.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #13305 on: October 03, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »
I wandered off and was going to buy a beer, but was struck dumb at the $15 price. 
Holymoly - for how much beer? A pitcher or a glass/bottle?????

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #13306 on: October 04, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
Annoyingly when I first brought this to the accounting person's attention she insisted that I had changed this information myself and that I must be working so hard that I'm too frazzled to remember that.

Woah, my mind is a bit boggled. Doesn't the system show the trail of requests/actions including what log-in made the change?
Just being nosy: did she apologize and was the offending scam email used as a case study to see how it got through the spam filters?

Great job in catching it so quickly!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13307 on: October 04, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
The broker we hire to sale our house said the person doing the technical reviewnof our house, could also fill out the energy scheme for us, for 50 euros. When we saw the price list, it was 80 euros. I decided to so it myself. I did the simple versjon, which is easy for private persons. 80 euros saved.

I also borrowed the trailer from work, for free, to diliver stuff at the garbage for free.
Bought a rug second hand, for decorating our home for sale.

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #13308 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:18 AM »
We went to the forest, picked mushrooms, lingonberries and blueberries. What we picked is certainly a bonus, but the biggest win is the free fun and exercise.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13309 on: October 05, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »
I bought new summer shoes secondhand for €25. They're the same model as the pair I've just worn out after years of use and they appear unworn. They were originally close to €100 so I'm happy I was able to snap them up for this price even though I won't get to wear them for another 6 months.

I fixed a small hole in my summer coat, washed it and dried it outside. Then it will be stored for next summer.

I prepared a full English breakfast this morning - toasting a few slices of bread I found in the back of the freezer, frying eggs and tomatoes that were about to go off and added a veggie sausage and half a can of baked beans I had in the fridge. Didn't have to eat lunch & used up a whole bunch of leftovers, double win! I have also set myself a challenge to drink up all the tea in the house before buying new tea. I think there's enough to last me until the end of the year....

I don't want to turn on the heating just yet but it has been getting cold in the house. I left the oven open this morning after I toasted the bread and that added just that little bit of warmth. Then the sun came out for the first time in a few days and our big windows in the living room are facing south. I am making the bed with our woolen blanket on top for the first time today.

I really needed a new laptop bag for work and I've finally managed to find what I wanted and got a 15% discount if I paid by creditcard! So I did. It's hard to find a bag that can hold not only my laptop, but also my lunch box, thermos flask, diary, wallet, phone, hair brush etc and looks a bit ladylike. I guess most office workers don't bring food supplies and personal items to work?? I've finally found one. It's not cheap, it's a Samsonite, and I wasn't able to find one used, but I also own a Samsonite suitcase and that one's so durable it would probably survive an explosion, so I hope this bag lasts a while too.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #13310 on: October 05, 2019, 04:37:43 PM »
Took my own passport photo.
$0.47 for 6 square pictures on a 4x6 print  vs  $14.99 for 2 squares at Walgreens. Highway robbery.

All I needed was a camera, a white wall, and access to PowerPoint. Success!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13311 on: October 06, 2019, 08:51:12 AM »
Used DH's train csrd.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #13312 on: October 06, 2019, 10:02:15 AM »
I mended two pairs of jeans which had been ripped in the crotch area. And I replaced the hooks on two bras so now we have four wearable items more. The cost was about 6 EUR for replacement parts for the bra.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #13313 on: October 06, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »

I really needed a new laptop bag for work and I've finally managed to find what I wanted and got a 15% discount if I paid by creditcard! So I did. It's hard to find a bag that can hold not only my laptop, but also my lunch box, thermos flask, diary, wallet, phone, hair brush etc and looks a bit ladylike. I guess most office workers don't bring food supplies and personal items to work?? I've finally found one. It's not cheap, it's a Samsonite, and I wasn't able to find one used, but I also own a Samsonite suitcase and that one's so durable it would probably survive an explosion, so I hope this bag lasts a while too.
Hi Imma, yes it is hard to find the perfect bag. I don`t need to carry a laptop but to find a bag that holds purse things plus a book plus lunchbox(es) and a coffee tumbler AND does not look like a schoolbag is really hard. I finally found and bought a stylish DIAPER BAG of all things! It is perfect.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13314 on: October 06, 2019, 11:36:15 AM »
-Walked to go to the produce stand. We have an electric car, so no gas would have been used, but saved wear & tear on the car just the same
-Made my own protein balls
-Used the very last of peanuts & pistachios in the cupboard to puree into a nut butter for said protein balls. We were out of peanut butter.
-Avoided dinner out last night after a late soccer game, as I'd already prepped the meal
-Bought Uber gift cards & earned $10 of grocery store points for every $50. I use Uber for airport trips.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13315 on: October 06, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »

Hi Imma, yes it is hard to find the perfect bag. I don`t need to carry a laptop but to find a bag that holds purse things plus a book plus lunchbox(es) and a coffee tumbler AND does not look like a schoolbag is really hard. I finally found and bought a stylish DIAPER BAG of all things! It is perfect.

I know a friend of mine does this! Her diaper bag is big enough that her laptop even fits in it and the bag looks elegant, it doesn't look like a diaper bag at all. Her youngest kid is in primary school now so I guess it's durable.

For years I actually used a schoolbag as it was the only suitable bag I could find but I'm getting too old for that (+ the schoolbag is worn out). I look younger than my age already and I don't want people to think I'm the intern. It seems so many women are looking for the perfect bag for daily/work use that I wonder why there aren't more of them on the market.

gannowar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13316 on: October 06, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »
I’m using left over butternut squash to make cream of butternut soup garnished with chilli flakes, cinnamon, and homemade candied walnuts. Sliced baguette and olive oil to dip. I haven’t cooked really in like 2.5 years, and my wife wants me to put forth more of an effort, so I’m making her lunch while she’s at work.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13317 on: October 07, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »
I bought new summer shoes secondhand for €25. They're the same model as the pair I've just worn out after years of use and they appear unworn. They were originally close to €100 so I'm happy I was able to snap them up for this price even though I won't get to wear them for another 6 months.

I fixed a small hole in my summer coat, washed it and dried it outside. Then it will be stored for next summer.

I prepared a full English breakfast this morning - toasting a few slices of bread I found in the back of the freezer, frying eggs and tomatoes that were about to go off and added a veggie sausage and half a can of baked beans I had in the fridge. Didn't have to eat lunch & used up a whole bunch of leftovers, double win! I have also set myself a challenge to drink up all the tea in the house before buying new tea. I think there's enough to last me until the end of the year....

I don't want to turn on the heating just yet but it has been getting cold in the house. I left the oven open this morning after I toasted the bread and that added just that little bit of warmth. Then the sun came out for the first time in a few days and our big windows in the living room are facing south. I am making the bed with our woolen blanket on top for the first time today.

In my experience, people tend to bring a separate bag for food items. Ironically, I have a backpack that is marketed as a meal prep backpack, and you would think it would be designed to carry foord + work stuff, but it is already started to show that it cannot handle the load I use it for. I have another backpack somewhere, I just need to find it. My other idea is to get something that I can use to hook the zipper pulls together. (my issue is that the zipper is not staying closed, presumable due to the weight in the bag.)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #13318 on: October 07, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
I picked up a heavy duty rolling grocery cart from my Buy Nothing group yesterday. It had a broken spring in the handle latch, which my 14 year old was happy to repair. We can now walk the 2 miles to do grocery shopping instead of taking the car. This was the last nearby errand we were still using the car for, so this is a big deal. We tried it out and we can easily cart home all the groceries from a "big" shop with the cart and two backpacks. The cart is enclosed, too, which is helpful in our rainy climate.

I prepped a week's supply of vegetarian pumpkin chili for lunches so I won't pay to eat on campus this week. I also took part in a free native plants class. It's a 6 week class with 3 full day field trips, so lots of free education, entertainment, and networking/friend making. I carpooled to the class with another participant, so more savings.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13319 on: October 07, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Picked up a spiralizer, with the plastic wrap still intact, at the thrift store for $5.  I've been wanting one for awhile and this will let me test it before committing to the expensive Kitchenaid attachment version. 

Thought about, but passed on, a $20 pressure cooker.  I've been debating getting an Instapot, but I have no idea how to test that a used one is reaching the correct pressure.  Which sucks because it was one of the bigger ones that could be used for pressure canning too.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13320 on: October 07, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »

In my experience, people tend to bring a separate bag for food items. Ironically, I have a backpack that is marketed as a meal prep backpack, and you would think it would be designed to carry foord + work stuff, but it is already started to show that it cannot handle the load I use it for. I have another backpack somewhere, I just need to find it. My other idea is to get something that I can use to hook the zipper pulls together. (my issue is that the zipper is not staying closed, presumable due to the weight in the bag.)

I guess normal people drive cars to work so they'd only have to carry several bags from the parking lot to their desk, so it wouldn't be an issue for them. I walk and take public transit and carrying more than one bag is a big hassle. Sometimes I forget how normal people live as I've never had that kind of life.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13321 on: October 07, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »
-Came back from my NYC vacation with cash as I spent less than budgeted.
-Stitched up a hole in my trouser sock when I arrived in NYC rather than buying a new pair.
-Refrained from buying a new carry on for said trip and instead used a 20-year-old, but in still good shape, bag I thought I donated.
-Used credit card points to buy a gift card for my sister's birthday.
-Saved .20 a gallon using grocery store points.
-Earned 50 more fuel points by taking an online survey.
-Have saved $473.05 at the grocery store so far this year by shopping the sales and using paper and e-coupons.
-Another box of donations will be delivered tomorrow which will help with tax write off purposes.
-Bundling an upcoming trip to the big city for my sisters' BD, niece's concert, and errands.
-I'll save a $9 delivery charge on a needed office item by buying it in the city rather than having it delivered.
-Continuing to eat leftovers to avoid food waste.
-Going to get a free, thanks to insurance, flu shot tomorrow.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #13322 on: October 07, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »
Picked up a spiralizer, with the plastic wrap still intact, at the thrift store for $5.  I've been wanting one for awhile and this will let me test it before committing to the expensive Kitchenaid attachment version. 

Thought about, but passed on, a $20 pressure cooker.  I've been debating getting an Instapot, but I have no idea how to test that a used one is reaching the correct pressure.  Which sucks because it was one of the bigger ones that could be used for pressure canning too.

I believe your local agricultural extension service can help with that, especially as it relates to pressure canning.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #13323 on: October 07, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
Washed a 'dry clean only' dress in the washing machine. It came out perfectly so saved $15aud.

Borrowed 10 new release books from the library. It makes me feel so rich to have a pile of pristine books I can read for free!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13324 on: October 07, 2019, 08:52:02 PM »
-Chased $20 of missing grocery store rewards. Got an email that they are being credited back to me.
-Made leftovers for dinner. This is our standard weeknight plan. I cook on weekends, and then we combine the base meals into various options for week night dinners.
-Updated all of my eBay listings. Haven't sold anything yet this week, but I find sales pickup after adjustments.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13325 on: October 07, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »
* Emailed a grocery store about an accidental double charge and got store credit back.
* Collected free produce.
* Walked/bussed to the library for new books.
* Did yoga at home from a YouTube video.
* Also did a strength training routine using bodyweight exercises and free free weights.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13326 on: October 08, 2019, 12:13:59 AM »
We changed to winter tires ourselves (as usual). My co-worker with a Tesla couldn't loosen the bolts on her wheels and had to pay someone else to change her tires. (By the way, we have an extra set of wheels, so changing tires, means changing the wheel set).

When the wheels were off, DH installed new brake pads at the back wheels of the Subaru. Not from the original brand, but from Bosch, which are supposed to be equally good as the Subaru brakes, but cheaper. DH said he saved about 200 euros doing the brakes himself.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13327 on: October 08, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »
I got a free bowl of tomato soup for lunch at work. It was very good, handmade by the cook.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #13328 on: October 08, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Catching up -

-Harvested the last of the tomatoes since a hard freeze is coming. MANY are still green, but they will ripen indoors just fine. Have canned salsa, stewed tomatoes, and sauce this year.
-Harvested the last of the herbs and dehydrated.
-Found a near-pristine L.L. Bean backpack in my daughter's favorite colors for her to use as a karate gear bag.
-Found near-pristine vintage Tupperware pieces at a thrift store. Excellent for storing/freezing above-mentioned tomato haul.
-Took advantage of "snack day" at work - scored Goldfish, cookies, etc.
-Meal-prepped a week's worth of lunches ... and then DH and teen boy helped themselves. Grr.
-Made a dog sweater out of a thrifted sweater. It unraveled pretty quickly so while the intent was good, it ended up being a fail. Oh, well. (Yes, she needs a sweater. She's small and shivers in the cold.)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13329 on: October 08, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
Free morning tea at work with left-overs that became lunch.  My sandwiches prepared for today will be lunch tomorrow.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13330 on: October 08, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
Washed a 'dry clean only' dress in the washing machine. It came out perfectly so saved $15aud.

Borrowed 10 new release books from the library. It makes me feel so rich to have a pile of pristine books I can read for free!

Libraries are the best! I'm off to hit up my local today :)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13331 on: October 08, 2019, 06:14:16 PM »
There were no chips at my house. Boo. But instead of buying chips from the vending machine, I ate the free popcorn that appeared in our break room. I also resisted the urge to go buy coffee at 7-11 even though we were out of half and half and I had to use powdered creamer. Horrors.

littlelykke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13332 on: October 09, 2019, 01:08:56 AM »
Got a full weeks worth of groceries for only 35 euros, by buying almost everything for a discounted price. Usually this amount of money is only for 2-3 days of groceries, so very happy with myself. It's the little things ^^

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13333 on: October 10, 2019, 01:14:47 AM »
I showered and washed my hair at work, using shampoo and towel provided by work.

Tomorrow we will have our home photographed for sale. We bought a fancy bunch of flowers on Saturday already, because the photographer would first some on Tuesday. We moved him because of the weather. We stored the flowers on the attic where it is cold and dark. We don't have any pleasure of seeing it, but it keeps very good, so that we can still use it tomorrow. We are also keeping the herb plants alive.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13334 on: October 11, 2019, 09:11:49 AM »
-Repurposed leftovers into new meals
-Drove our electric car to our furthest errand/commute this week
-Charged for free at work
-Ate breakfast/lunch for free at work
-Filled out $50x2 security settlement from a claim

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13335 on: October 11, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »
Rediscovered two still-open bank accounts that I hadn't been using since 2013.  Grand total:  $6.39.

Edit:
Oh, and also paid the bill for having my propane tank filled up, within the 7 day window that gets me a 10-cent per gallon discount:  $9.50.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:22:19 AM by MyAlterEgoIsTaller »

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13336 on: October 11, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »
Annoyingly when I first brought this to the accounting person's attention she insisted that I had changed this information myself and that I must be working so hard that I'm too frazzled to remember that.

Woah, my mind is a bit boggled. Doesn't the system show the trail of requests/actions including what log-in made the change?
Just being nosy: did she apologize and was the offending scam email used as a case study to see how it got through the spam filters?

Great job in catching it so quickly!

It's actually a paper form, which the HR person had emailed as a pdf to the scammer-posing-as-me, upon "my" emailed request (these emails are spoofed to look like they came from my work email address).  The scammer apparently filled this out in pen, scanned it, attached a copy of "my" check (a check from an online bank, with my name and home address photoshopped onto it), and emailed it back. 
So when I told the HR person that I didn't make this change, she came to my office with copies of this form and check, and I said it wasn't my bank account, my handwriting, or my signature... and yet she was skeptical (that's when she asserted that I was working too hard to remember), until she went back and more carefully examined the scammer's emails.
It's a pretty low-tech but surprisingly easy to pull off scam!

She did apologize, but I don't think she told anybody else about what happened.  You're right: it should be used company-wide as a case study for how not to fall for email scams.  I'm not quite sure how to make that happen without throwing her under the bus though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13337 on: October 11, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
Picked and cleaned a whole bunch of edible mushrooms. We had quite a lot of them for dinner.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13338 on: October 11, 2019, 01:41:04 PM »
Really been hitting the grocery sales-yellow peppers were 3lbs for a dollar. Got 3.5 pounds- gave 1/2 to a friend.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13339 on: October 11, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »
Cooked and ate porridge for breakfast: yummy, healthy, cheap! :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13340 on: October 12, 2019, 06:01:26 AM »
Today at th grocery store I got a big of crisps and a foam sitting plate for free.

DH sold a winter snow scooter dress that he had won a few years ago and doesn't wear. He found a movie that was for free in the bookshelf for free.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13341 on: October 12, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
I've been waiting for cheddar cheese to go on sale at one of the three grocery stores that I regularly stop by... but I've had no luck for weeks. Today I was in Crown Heights going to a concert, and on my way back to the subway I noticed there was a grocery store still open, so I popped in to check. The exact kind of cheese I wanted was on sale for a better price than my local stores ever offer - score! Saved $1/lb over my usual sale price and $5/lb over full retail.

Making a mental note of that store since I'll be back in that neighborhood in a couple of weeks...

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #13342 on: October 13, 2019, 07:26:01 AM »
My local grocery chain has digital coupons and once a month has "specialized offers" which sometimes include entirely free items.  This month was the meat substitute Quorn.  As I was picking out which one to get, I noticed that the coupon didn't specify a size for the free item, so I tried using it for the $11 value pack instead of the $4 regular sizes.  It worked! 

... now the question is if I actually like Quorn, haha. 

zee dot

• Stubble
« Reply #13343 on: October 13, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Bought the bone in pork chops bc they were same price per pound plus $3 off and the bones don't weigh more than the discount
Got $5 off a shoe organizer bc someone had opened the package

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13344 on: October 13, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »
-Drove electric car on all errands
-Used a gift card (bought on discount) for a gift. Ended up not needing one of the items, so immediately returned it. I've made this mistake before, & let it sit in my car until it's too late to return. Got it taken care of right away.
-Making two dinners tonight to have on hand during a busy week

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13345 on: October 13, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »
Before changing the toner on my printer (which the printer was "forcing" me to do by not printing anymore, I did a little searching online and learned how to tell it to continue using the same toner. It worked! This may buy me a few more pages before I have to replace it.

Now I'm off to make tumeric baked/scrambled eggs to have ready for breakfast during the week.

Also! I have the world's best hiking shoes that suddenly really hurt to wear. I figured I needed a new pair and was all set to go get another pair but then saw the company also makes highly-rated replacement inner soles, so I'm trying those first. $30 vs. $140.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13346 on: October 14, 2019, 01:52:05 AM »

Also! I have the world's best hiking shoes that suddenly really hurt to wear. I figured I needed a new pair and was all set to go get another pair but then saw the company also makes highly-rated replacement inner soles, so I'm trying those first. $30 vs. $140.

My hiking shoes were also hurting yesterday and I couldn't figure out why all of the sudden they did that.
Turned out my socks weren't empty when I put them on. There was a piece of tree inside my inner sock, pressing on my achilles. So I don't need to buy new shoes.

I foraged food in the forest (some mushrooms).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13347 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
Big city errands:
-Saved .20 a gallon using my grocery value card.
-Used the rest of a Christmas gift card to buy supper.
-Saved $5K+ by shopping around for a new mattress set.  The first place we went to had King Size sets for $8K+.
-Stuck with my list at several other stores.
-Brought coffee from home.
-Saved supper leftovers for a snack later on.

Currently compiling this month's grocery list to take advantage of sales and electronic coupons.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #13348 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »
Spent the past 4 days gardening, sleeping and reading so didn't leave the house or spend any money. Ate from our fridge and freezer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13349 on: October 15, 2019, 04:21:37 AM »
The friendly cook offered me a bowl of free soup in the cafeteria at work.