Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020878 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6900 on: August 23, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »
Um, drank leftover coffee from a meeting I hosted at my house yesterday? Fortunately, it was cold brewed, so it tasted fine,  despite being "old".

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6901 on: August 23, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
Brought lunch to work
Cooked dinner
Got a free sample of eye drops from Dr rather than fork over $$ to CVS

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6902 on: August 23, 2016, 11:35:40 PM »
*Kids ate up all the leftovers for lunch today

*Made biscuits from scratch to go with dinner - found about-to-expire sour cream and so googled for a biscuit recipe that used sour cream instead of milk. They were excellent!

*Good cups of tea at home

*Making lists for next grocery shop - I've never been a good list maker but this is helping me feel more organized and frugal

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #6903 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:17 PM »
4 of the 5 veggies I had with dinner tonight came from the garden (bad year for carrots). The peaches, muskmelon and watermelon are also from the garden. Milk from a friend's cow, traded for honey and veggies.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6904 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
Daycare is closed this week (argh), but I had grandparents lining up to take care of my daughter for 4 days out of the 5. Yesterday was the 1 day where I had to take the day off (unpaid, but my job is more flexible than my husband's for that, so ok) to be with her.

Net loss, BUT I got to spend the day with an adorable verbal toddler who has a hilariously developping sense of humor and tells jokes. Nothing we did cost money: we went to the fish pond to catch frogs and see if we could make the fish come to see us, and then we went to the neighbor's field to see horses and cows, and we picked vegetables and ate them straight from the garden (fresh shelling peas are ALWAYS a favorite), we read books we already owned, and we watched Youtube videos for about a half-hour at the end of the day (at her request: Pavarotti, and then a make-up tutorial. WTF kind of todder is an active opera fan? My toddler. Argh. And a fascination with make-up tutorials are what I get for letting her watch me put on make-up before going to work, I suppose).

In conclusion: we didn't touch the car, use gas, go anywhere farther than walking distance, spend any money, spend a lot of time playing with 'toys'(sticks, frogs, rocks, fish, the neighbor's animals, the garden, etc, sure, but nothing requiring $$$$$ to entertain children), and we had an absolutely wonderful day.

And now I'm back in the office, with a colleague who has 2 similarly-aged children and was on vacation with them last week, and she's complaining about how EXPENSIVE it is to entertain children. Apparently, taking 3-year-olds to the movies is a thing? There are places you can bring them (for 10$/hour!!!!) that are like... indoor playgrounds? (dude, for that price, it should include childcare wtf), etc.

Just throws into contrast that I think we're doing ok, priority-wise.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6905 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
Well, the leftovers intended for today's lunch smelled a little funky, so I made a soup last night. "Roasted" a $5 5lb. chicken in the instant pot and removed the meat and froze. Immediately put the carcass back in the instant pot with some veggie scraps (onion skins, carrot greens, etc.) from the freezer. Strained the bone broth, then put some right back into the instant pot for the soup. Emptied my fridge into the instant pot (brussels sprouts, sweet corn, mushrooms, onions, garlic) along with a cup of Costco dried bean/lentil mix and the corn cobs. Soup and half the chicken will last all week, and the rest of the chicken will be frozen. Plus I still have that $5 cafeteria voucher for work, which I have to use tomorrow.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6906 on: August 24, 2016, 01:40:53 PM »
@Inaya -- what a great use of the Instant Pot! I just got one a month ago and have made hard boiled eggs in it for the first time. We buy fresh eggs off the farm so they are impossible to peel -- they are easy to peel when cooked in the Instant Pot!

I made a huge batch of granola for the next few weeks (starts with 16 cups of rolled oats)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6907 on: August 24, 2016, 01:48:11 PM »
I have to get back on track with MMM in September as I have been very 'off' this summer, I sometimes seem to go a bit wild at certain times of year.

The only thing I did today was hunt around the house for a spare battery for my stopped clock instead of buying a new packet of them.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6908 on: August 24, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
DH ordered some large prints of his photos online. He neglected to think of standard photo sizes when ordering so we ended up with some really odd sizes. I've been going crazy for days trying to figure out how not to spend $100 each framing these. I went to Goodwill on my lunch break and found two options for one size and one that was an exact fit (even the mat) for the second! I couldn't believe it. A little wood putty and some spray paint and we should be good to go. $25 for two very large (24"+) frames with glass. And a nice simple, satisfying project for me to work on. Now I'm thinking that we should go to Goodwill before getting the prints made and size them up to fit the frames we find.

I did lose my tape measure in the store somehow though.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6909 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
DH ordered some large prints of his photos online. He neglected to think of standard photo sizes when ordering so we ended up with some really odd sizes. I've been going crazy for days trying to figure out how not to spend $100 each framing these. I went to Goodwill on my lunch break and found two options for one size and one that was an exact fit (even the mat) for the second! I couldn't believe it. A little wood putty and some spray paint and we should be good to go. $25 for two very large (24"+) frames with glass. And a nice simple, satisfying project for me to work on. Now I'm thinking that we should go to Goodwill before getting the prints made and size them up to fit the frames we find.

I did lose my tape measure in the store somehow though.
YES! I do this when framing my own art, lol! Although I'm not as often lucky on the mat. :D

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #6910 on: August 24, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »
Planning to drive to Salt Lake UT from OR to save $5k on a planned purchase. It is a 12 hour drive there and a 12 hour drive back.

I am not sure we are crazy or brilliant at this point...we leave Labor day weekend.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6911 on: August 24, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »
Rather than purchase a net to corral my son's bathtub toys, I grabbed an extra mesh laundry bag and hung it from the shower curtain hook. It's a no-cost solution that doesn't result in another piece of kid gear to get rid of eventually, so I count it as a double win.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6912 on: August 24, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
Even though I didn't feel like it, and was short on time, I packed a cooler for my 2-night work trip.  Will probably go out for dinner tomorrow to be social/network, but other than that, no eating out should occur, and I will pocket most of my per diem.

In keeping with this thread, my cooler includes eggs steamed in the Instant Pot.

Turned the AC off a couple days ago since it's now staying below 90 during the day, and cooling into the 50s at night.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6913 on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »
My packed work lunch today was microwaved potatos, green beans, a cheap avocado and some grated cheese. Total cost less than a dollar (would be like 20 cents if it wasnt for the Avo) but it was delicious! Adding this to my repertoire of fast easy lacto-ovo meals!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6914 on: August 25, 2016, 04:22:12 AM »
Rather than purchase a net to corral my son's bathtub toys, I grabbed an extra mesh laundry bag and hung it from the shower curtain hook. It's a no-cost solution that doesn't result in another piece of kid gear to get rid of eventually, so I count it as a double win.

And if it gets funky, it's meant to be laundered! This is also handy for if you go to the beach - you can hose off all the sandy toys, let dry, then shake out the whole thing to get any excess sand out.

That is brilliant! We don't live near beaches but the grandparents do.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6915 on: August 25, 2016, 07:19:57 PM »
*Made Chili for dinner with freezer beef (trying to use up
Our 2 sides of beef before the next batch comes in October) Used beans from the freezer that I'd done previously in the crockpot plus one can of kidney beans. 

*Baking for a church ministry called Celebrate Recovery. Trying to get it done early so I don't panic at the end and have to buy something instead.

*Planning a trip to the beach this evening with the fam

*Got a load of books and novels on cd for the kids for the last weeks of summer and picked up holds I'd requested based on things I'd found online and had requested. Son won a draw prize in teen summer reading club.

*Burnt the top of the loaf of French bread I made late this afternoon (must've been the glasses of red wine I had!) so will just slice off the top when it cools

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #6916 on: August 25, 2016, 10:47:32 PM »
Thanks, the laundry bag for bath and sand toys is a great idea. You could break your neck on Lego getting in our bath!

And if it gets funky, it's meant to be laundered! This is also handy for if you go to the beach - you can hose off all the sandy toys, let dry, then shake out the whole thing to get any excess sand out.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6917 on: August 26, 2016, 07:43:49 AM »
Taking a flight today. Saving money a couple ways:

-DH is driving me in our efficient car (50+mpg highway so like 5gal diesel- so about $10-12) rather than having me take the long distance bus to the airport ($40+). To do this he's swapping working Friday for working Saturday. Bonus: DH will get no work calls Saturday and can get some things wrapped up, plus we get to spend the 2 hour drive together!
-Packing my own food for the flight.

Coming to fruition:
My new shorter commute! We get compensated a fixed rate above 30 miles driving. Before, I was driving 74 miles each way. Now it's down to 44, and it's the same fixed compensation. (Don't worry guys, I only do this 3 days per week).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6918 on: August 26, 2016, 02:10:54 PM »
Last week's low carb zucchini bread turned out really well!  It looked like the "real" thing, and was much more moist.

I also made low carb almond cookies and bison jambalaya for last week's camping trip.

DH's garden continues to produce zucchini.  So far I've made bread, fritters, and rolled in Parmesan and fried.  Last night I tried it in a stir fry with chicken breast bought on sale, and free with a coupon cauliflower rice.  Delicious!  The entire meal was $2.28 for three servings.   Next I'm going to make zucchini pizza bites.

It was DH and my 11th wedding anniversary last weekend.  Instead of buying gifts and cards for each other, we spent a long weekend camping together.

I'm really struggling with the fact my business smart phone is beginning to fail.  I'm open to suggestions.  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6919 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »

* Used up all the "free" baby wipes from the hospital and started using homemade reusable cloth wipes.
* Ordered reusable nursing pads. This is a capital purchase that I hope is more cost-effective over the long term than disposables.
* Line-dried sheets and blankets.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6920 on: August 26, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
Repurposed a wine gift bag to give a baby gift.

I don't buy gift bags but I reuse the ones we receive, and I was inundated with them last month after my husband's birthday.

Giving a onesie in a wine bag felt a bit odd, so I took off the ribbon, cut a couple of inches off the bag, refolded the edge, punched new holes, and re-tied the ribbon. Looks great, cost nothing, and it's one less thing in my house.

The next couple of months could easily get very expensive with gifts - two engagement parties, three weddings, three 30ths, and two birthdays in my immediate family - so I'm taking all the savings I can get.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6921 on: August 27, 2016, 06:43:56 AM »
Somebody on my local Buy Nothing group advertised shipping boxes. It is less than a mile from my house. Turns out it is a health food store that gets shipments of health foods every month. Scored an almost endless supply of sturdy boxes to use for eBay when not shipping priority mail.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6922 on: August 27, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Last week's low carb zucchini bread turned out really well!  It looked like the "real" thing, and was much more moist.

Recipe?  Drowning in zuc over here.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6923 on: August 27, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »

Maybe not her recipe, but Google A-Z Bread, that recipe makes fantastic zuccini bread!

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6924 on: August 28, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
Fixed a long standing (1+ years) electrical problem in my Jeep that mechanics threatened could cost a lot of money to track down. As a result, I never brought it in for fear of getting scalped but yesterday I grabbed my moustachian will, spent 30 min researching/diagnosing the problem and another 30 min watching youtube videos onj how to disassemble the dashboard and get to the wiring.

Turns out, I only needed a $14 part, that I was able to pick up at the autoparts store (which I biked to!).

All in all: 60 min of research and another 30 min to complete the repair. I wont count the 30 min biking to the auto parts store since I received a return on that time (fitness).

The things one can learn on youtube seems limtiless.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6925 on: August 28, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »
I'm at the school today.  It's the one weekend a year when they leave the a/c on because teachers are in and out getting ready for students to start tomorrow.  One of the beginning of the year requirements is that we watch 15 videos so I thought I might as well use their a/c and get them done today.  Brought a couple of bananas and a protein bar and when I leave I'll fill up a ziploc bag with ice from the ice machine in the staff lounge so I don't have to buy a bag on the way home.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:08:37 PM by NV Teacher »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6926 on: August 28, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
2 car repair money savers. 

AC was not blowing cool or hot air, just outside air.  The shop replaced some kind of belt and said there was another part that *might* have been causing issues and was like $500.  We declined.  The AC is working again with the less expensive fix!

Other car, I had to push the clutch down a bit past the floor to start my car.  A friend was over, he turned a screw 1/4 turn, it starts like it should now.  Hooray for a free repair!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6927 on: August 28, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
*ive started a ziploc bag in the freezer for fresh berries that are past their prime but would be perfectly wonderful in smoothies. I've had to throw out moldy berries this summer more times than I care to admit

*husband gone to a sports gear sale with son to get him geared up for a hockey team he's joining this fall

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #6928 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »
I went to an outdoor show (beef jerky, coins, knives, ammo, etc) with $500 in my pocket (from a new-account bank bonus and selling my silver.)

I decided I would rather have that money in my emergency savings account, so I bought nothing, said hi to some friends and drove to my bank's ATM.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6929 on: August 28, 2016, 05:10:33 PM »
This weekend:

We took the kiddo to splash in the river.

Picked out most of the rest of what he'll need for fall/winter clothes from a big children's consignment sale (including a fancy outfit for a wedding and a puffy coat) for $43. We'll just need to get boots when it gets colder.

Cooked some decadent meals (chocolate chip scones, summer vegetable quiche, stuffed peppers, burgers and Greek salad) from ingredients we had on hand.

Picked wild elderberries to make syrup.

Temporarily moved a nightstand and lamp from our room to make the guest room more comfortable for DH's grandmother, who will be visiting for a week.

Picked up a large branch from a fallen tree on our street, and cut it into slices to make Christmas ornaments.

halseyskates33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6930 on: August 28, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Cooked a whole chicken (part of a buy 1 get two free deal) and prepped all my meals.
Going into work an hour early to impress my bosses since I am in my last month of temping and want to go full time (actually love the job and it is a 5min commute: )
Watching a library DVD with the window open (AC What??) enjoying my life

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6931 on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
Went to next town over to get book for my book club and stock up on other reading.

Stopped to pick up badly needed oven mitts. Decided to check spice racks, since I hadn't found any in my own village stores. There was a good selection and all were on a 50% off promotion. Picked exactly the right one to fit in a dark corner of my very small kitchen counter space. That will free up cupboard space. When I picked the box up, it seemed really heavy. Turns out all the jars have spices or seasonings in them. There are several I'll be happy to use if I have them, though I wouldn't buy them for everyday use. About $30 worth of seasonings added to my pantry.

At the library, I stopped at the extra produce table on my way out and picked up fresh basil, thyme and parsley.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6932 on: August 29, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »
Pegged washing this morning.

Walked a few blocks to catch an extra train during my lunch break to save on transit later in the week.

And, after a discussion with a fellow forum member, today is two weeks without booze. A fitness rather than financial decision, but it's still saving me money.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6933 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
Required textbook for the class was running around $100 at the campus bookstore. Looked around online for a used copy $46. Looked further into rentals $38. Checked the local library, no go. They only have a reference copy that can be checked out for an hour in facility use only. Finally decide to put in an interlibrary loan at the county public library and found the required first reading online for free since I doubted the book would be in in time. Get email today that book has arrived, but is not eligible for renewal so I will scan all the readings due after the return date. Win!

Just a tip -- when I did this in grad school, I was able to take photos of the required pages with my cell phone and then stitch them all together into a PDF for easier use. The tools I used in Linux were imagemagick (to convert the images into individual PDFs) and pdftk (to stitch them together into one file). If you have access to a Linux computer it might be worth a try.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6934 on: August 29, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »

Thank you for asking.  https://www.atkins.com/recipes/zucchini-nut-bread/282

I substituted the soy flour and ground almonds with almond flour, and the Sucralose with Splenda.  I'm a low carber.  ;)  DH liked the bread, as did our camping mates a few weekends ago.

I hear you about the zuc abundance, horsepoor!  I breaded (almond flour, crushed pork rinds and grated parmesan) and fried another large one last night.  Only 3 more to go... for now... :S
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:29:43 PM by MountainGal »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6935 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini. I like them best sliced and sauteed in oil with onions and salt and maybe pepper. My Mom does a mix of yellow squash and zucchini like that, but cooking for one, it's easier to do one vegetable at a time. The other day I cut up some chicken breast and started that cooking in the pan first before adding the zucchini, so it was a more complete meal with rice.

Anyway, I saved money today by lounging about at home on the bank holiday and eating leftover zucchini and chicken and rice. I got some writing done and took a walk. I also called and talked to my Grandma in the States for at least a half hour. I should do that more often. I'm lucky to still have grandparents and parents to call. It doesn't cost anything because of Republic Wireless, and the same would be true of Skype or maybe Google Voice or whatever.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6936 on: August 29, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini.

Aren't courgettes and zucchini two names for the the same thing anyway? :-)  Like eggplant and aubergine...

My small thing today: I called up Time Warner for the annual "you have raised my price again! I shall threaten to switch to FIOS until you give me a deal!" call. When I moved here I was paying $64/mo. After one year they got me down to $59. After another year I am now down to $45. If this keeps up I will be getting free internet service in a few years.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6937 on: August 29, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »
I bought a big bag labelled "courgettes" last week, but they are just zucchini.

Aren't courgettes and zucchini two names for the the same thing anyway? :-)  Like eggplant and aubergine...
Well, apparently, but I'm learning the British English words for things a little at a time. I figured out that they were zucchini before deciding to buy them, but there was definitely a moment of doubt and confusion. Aubergine I had heard of. In that instance, I saved money by buying the bigger bag of less pretty zucchini that was about the same price as the small bag with perfectly shaped zucchini. Hence today's happy leftovers.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6938 on: August 29, 2016, 05:18:28 PM »
Well, apparently, but I'm learning the British English words for things a little at a time. I figured out that they were zucchini before deciding to buy them, but there was definitely a moment of doubt and confusion.

Gotcha :-)  I lived in the UK for a bit. Another one is that they call arugula "rocket" or "roquette." And be careful when you talk about pants.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6939 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:16 PM »
Required textbook for the class was running around $100 at the campus bookstore. Looked around online for a used copy $46. Looked further into rentals $38. Checked the local library, no go. They only have a reference copy that can be checked out for an hour in facility use only. Finally decide to put in an interlibrary loan at the county public library and found the required first reading online for free since I doubted the book would be in in time. Get email today that book has arrived, but is not eligible for renewal so I will scan all the readings due after the return date. Win!

Just a tip -- when I did this in grad school, I was able to take photos of the required pages with my cell phone and then stitch them all together into a PDF for easier use. The tools I used in Linux were imagemagick (to convert the images into individual PDFs) and pdftk (to stitch them together into one file). If you have access to a Linux computer it might be worth a try.

I have access to a nice big scanner at work that will compile the images into a searchable pdf. My plan is to come in early one day and do it all. It's around 180 pages total needed and I figure I can scan them two pages at a time. I'll have it separated by week's reading to make it more manageable.
I'm starting grad school next week, and they offer mostly-free textbook rental. They send me the books before the semester starts, and I just pay media mail postage to send them back at the end of the semester. It's amazing, and every school should do this.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6940 on: August 30, 2016, 04:36:20 AM »
Gotcha :-)  I lived in the UK for a bit. Another one is that they call arugula "rocket" or "roquette." And be careful when you talk about pants.

For the sake of completeness, Cilantro = coriander, Garbanzo = chickpea.  I think US English borrowed some culinary words from Italian and British English mostly borrowed the same words from French.

Courgettes (Zucchini) are at the point in the year where we gardeners are almost paying friends & neighbours to take them off our hands....

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6941 on: August 30, 2016, 07:27:15 AM »
Spent 40 minutes on the phone with the insurance agent.  Changed a few things on the car policies and saved myself $400 a year.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6942 on: August 30, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
I have realised that if I want to see any results from exercising that I might have to cut down on the amount of alcohol I drink in the evenings so I have spent less money on my usual grocery shop.:)

Reading a 99p book for fun today. It also had a meditation idea so I used that too.

Using up stuff from the fridge and freezer to make a healthy dinner tonight.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6943 on: August 30, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »
Oh, that's what rocket is! I am not familiar enough with arugula in any country to identify it, but I knew rocket had to have an American name, too.

I've been warned about pants. Such an innocuous word in the States, too. Need to substitute "trousers" in the following chart, but it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue in the UK anyway. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/am-i-wearing-pants_n_858179.html

I saved money today by bringing my lunch to work and also remembering to bring in the instant coffee that keeps me from buying coffee at work. Leftovers for dinner. Leftover cheesecake will be served shortly for dessert. It was marked down last week, and I need to use it up, right? Also need to eat up some leftover blueberries. Poor me, having to eat these leftovers. Ha ha.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6944 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
Scavenged somebody's leftover catered pizza yesterday, which ended up being lunch today.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6945 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Before buying a 2017 planner I asked at work if they covered planners as an office expense (I remembered getting an email about picking out our calendars/planners last winter, but of course I had already purchased mine on my own dime.)  They are covered, and I even got the ok to buy the specific type I like off Amazon instead of going through our office supply company.  $20+ saved!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6946 on: August 30, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
Gave a home to many, many quilts from my downsizing parents. Also some pillow cases, a set of curtains, curtain rods, and two pairs of winter boots. Was taken out to lunch as a thank you, because I saved them the 35min trip into town for taking a donation load (nowhere to donate in their small town, but 2 restaurants there).

Stopped at Costco on my way home for cheap gas, vs waiting and going somwhere on my way home from work tomorrow.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6947 on: August 30, 2016, 03:36:48 PM »
OK so I was at a drive thru (not perfect) but I opened my door to pick up a dime I saw on the ground by the payment by the window.

There was $3.45 on the ground.  One loonie, one twonie, one quarter and 2 dimes. Who wouldn't make the effort to pick up a $2 coin they dropped?  My SO said a frequent Fast Food customer.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6948 on: August 30, 2016, 05:10:11 PM »
Courgettes (Zucchini) are at the point in the year where we gardeners are almost paying friends & neighbours to take them off our hands....

I can save you some money by eating them for free if you really want. ;-) But maybe you can freeze them or something like that?

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #6949 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
OK so I was at a drive thru (not perfect) but I opened my door to pick up a dime I saw on the ground by the payment by the window.

There was $3.45 on the ground.  One loonie, one twonie, one quarter and 2 dimes. Who wouldn't make the effort to pick up a $2 coin they dropped?  My SO said a frequent Fast Food customer.

Good job! I think your SO might be onto something

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!