Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020833 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13550 on: January 08, 2020, 05:29:30 AM »
I made 8 quarts of delicious vegetable stock from veggie scraps I save up in my freezer.

Do you do anything special with veggie broth vs. bone broth?  I always have way more veggie scraps than bones, especially now that we have reduced the amount of meat we are eating.

Yes!  I use it all the time as a soup base, and I also cook starches like beans, rice, quinoa, etc. in it instead of water.  I freeze the extra in jars (leaving enough head space for expansion).  It keeps beautifully.

Do you add any kind of fat or roast the veggie scraps or anything?  Every time I've tried to make veggie stock, it ends up being a weak-flavored veggie tea.

When I have cheese rinds (hard cheese) I throw those in there, but otherwise no -- I just simmer the raw vegetable scraps for a few hours, let the stock cool off, and then put it in jars.  I use a pretty large amount of vegetable scraps -- like a gallon zip lock bag full for 8 quarts. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13551 on: January 08, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
We had selfpicked seaweed for dinner, with other cheap ingredients.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13552 on: January 08, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
Yesterday I cancelled Stitch Fix (impulsively had signed up on my sister's recommendation) and ordered a ThredUp goody box instead.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #13553 on: January 08, 2020, 01:48:51 PM »
I unplugged the garage fridge (again!).  I used to feed 4 adults and shop at Costco so I think the 2nd fridge was worth using to store the 2nd gallon of milk and all the other bulk purchases.  But last May when I realized it was just the 2 of us now and that fridge only stored beer and Kirkland-brand fizzy water, I unplugged it.  We decided over the holidays that we needed it again so I had to wipe it out and plug it back in.  BUT based on a review of hourly electrical usage for the last couple of weeks - I'm pretty sure that thing costs us about $20/month in electricity! (I looked at kilowatts used overnight when nothing else is running).  So yesterday I unplugged it again.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13554 on: January 08, 2020, 01:53:14 PM »
I cancelled the auto-renew on one of the streaming apps that we have.  It was a kid's app and it's likely that I'll replace it with Disney+ sooner rather than later, but for now I'm counting it as a win.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13555 on: January 08, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
I just finishes processing 2 kgs of chicken breasts we found cheap.  At least 6 meals for the three of us over the next few weeks as stir fry or baked greek salad for very little $

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13556 on: January 10, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »
Bought yuengling instead of craft six pack.  Saved $3.50

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13557 on: January 11, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
-Creative leftovers for lunch
-Used grocery store rewards & clearance to buy: 1 lb ground beef, 1 lb Italian sausage, two dozen eggs & six avocados for just over $2.
-Sold an inexpensive on eBay. Mailed it with a repurposed envelope from Target. Junk out, money in. Still trying to figure out how to mail my more expensive eBay sale as inexpensively as possible, without sacrificing shipment quality. It's oddly sized & reasonably heavy. Let's see what I can come up with.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #13558 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »
Borrowed a book from the library.

Made a giant batch of homemade instant oatmeal - large jar at home, smaller jar for work.

Meal planned, made a list, mostly stuck to it (I can't control DH).

Have not opened the Poshmark app in several weeks.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13559 on: January 13, 2020, 10:56:16 AM »
For a few months I've been looking on Craigslist for a very specifically sized piece of furniture as additional kitchen storage, and vacillating between buying something and building something.  This weekend I found the perfect piece, which was actually part of a little girl's bedroom set. Got the seller to agree to sell the one piece separate from the set.  I would have gladly given him $100 for it, considering how hard it was to find the right size piece.  In fact, I offered him $80 and he countered at $50.  Now I just need to get it painted something other than light pink.  Lots of time saved over building from scratch, and probably cost about half as much.

Just now - begged off of going downtown to a work conference this afternoon.  Saved myself some gas.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13560 on: January 13, 2020, 11:54:16 AM »
I'm reverting back to squeaky clean spending this year.  No new clothes or shoes, no foreseeable trips requiring air travel, reduce some of the donations my business makes, and a few other things.  I printed out my 2019 year end spending and picked through it to look for ways to save.  Savings so far:

$10/mo + tax.  Removed an unused line (my tablet) from the Verizon account
$19/mo + billing fees.  Going to rewrite my business liability insurance when it comes up for renewal

DH and I discussed putting up window coverings since it's been so cold and the boiler seems to be running too much and therefore going through propane quicker.  FWIW, last night I closed several basement curtains.

Considering my body had basically head to toe testing last year, my doc office co-pays and invoices should be much less.

And hopefully I won't need a new tire this year.  Grr

The overall goal is to save $384 a month on personal and business expenses.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13561 on: January 15, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
Renewed my library card. Checked out a couple of books I've been wanting to read.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13562 on: January 15, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »
Paid off our zero interest for 12 months boiler today.  :D

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #13563 on: January 15, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
It should have been a small thing I remembered to do 9 weeks ago, but today I thought to inform the insurance company of my husband’s employment change (no longer working). His vehicle should now be considered recreational use only/far fewer Kms driven and cheaper to insure.  I’m rather annoyed with myself for overlooking this (and yes, he could have also done it, but I am the point person on this type of thing). Face punch!

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #13564 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:54 AM »
Darned a pair of DW’s jeans that had worn a hole in the inner thigh. This is the 3rd sewing project I’ve undertaken as I learn how to use a sewing machine that I got used for $30 last year. The goal is to eventually alter my entire wardrobe so everything I own fits like it was tailored for me. So far I’ve only achieved that on one T-shirt and the other tasks have been repairs for DW.

I’m really hard on jeans so I’m quite excited that this darning worked, as now I’ll be able to do the same for mine when they wear holes in the knees. I keep wearing them anyway when they get holes but there comes a point when the holes start to become obscene.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #13565 on: January 16, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
My cat has recently become very active and playful.  She is constantly wanting to do stuff and uses her paws for knocking things around (I had to double-side tape a coaster to my table because she won't leave it be). 

This got me thinking about getting a foraging toy for exercise and entertainment and after looking around and seeing prices I simply made my own out of a paper towel cardboard core with some holes cut into it.  She totally dug it.   

It was a good reminder that a lot of solutions are already on hand and do not need to come from the Great Provider Amazon.     

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13566 on: January 16, 2020, 02:12:48 PM »
My cat has recently become very active and playful.  She is constantly wanting to do stuff and uses her paws for knocking things around (I had to double-side tape a coaster to my table because she won't leave it be). 

This got me thinking about getting a foraging toy for exercise and entertainment and after looking around and seeing prices I simply made my own out of a paper towel cardboard core with some holes cut into it.  She totally dug it.   

It was a good reminder that a lot of solutions are already on hand and do not need to come from the Great Provider Amazon.     

An old video of our cats popped up - it involved taking a scrap piece of paper and rolling it into a ball and chucking it. The cats had hours of fun with that thing. Made noise, moved. Perfect.

PVD_Kev

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13567 on: January 16, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
Bought some needed clothes at Savers!  I must have saved about $80 over buying new and they are perfectly good clothes.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #13568 on: January 16, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »
Bought some needed clothes at Savers!  I must have saved about $80 over buying new and they are perfectly good clothes.

Nice, Savers is my favorite thrift store. In fact, half the clothes I’m currently wearing are from there (the other half are from garage sale, swap meet, and hand me down from sister).

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13569 on: January 17, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
I needed milk.....Shopper's Drug mart had an offer of $1 worth of store points for every 4L bag of milk purchased AND I used my "senior's" discount to get 20%....so the $4.39 bag of milk effectively cost $2.51, so I bought 2 bags (Canadians get 4Ls of milk in 3 plastic bags - it's a Canadian thing).   A 43% savings on something I always buy.....

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13570 on: January 18, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »

I am currently wearing a Savers used but new to me athletic pullover jacket thing as I type.  We are too cool!  Its fuchsia with thumbholes, and as my hands are almost always cold I appreciate thumbholes. 

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13571 on: January 18, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
If your TV or computer are relatively secure and pawproof, I highly recommend the YouTube channel by Paul Dinning, it’s very soothing to me as a human and my 3 cats are transfixed by the birds.  They get all up in the grills of squirrels.  The birdsong is just lovely.  Here’s an example. 

https://youtu.be/I-0DjivMj8g

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13572 on: January 18, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
Decided to eat some stuff we already have rather than buy new food.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13573 on: January 18, 2020, 06:13:14 PM »
Used leftover beans to make burritos.

We've got leftovers from that so we're set for tomorrow too.

I love leftovers.  It's like getting delivery, but free and immediate and made to your tastes.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13574 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »

I am currently wearing a Savers used but new to me athletic pullover jacket thing as I type.  We are too cool! Its fuchsia with thumbholes, and as my hands are almost always cold I appreciate thumbholes.

A fellow always cold hander here.  In my 50+ years of being on this planet, I did not know these existed.  Thank you for teaching me something new!

NatalieMarie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13575 on: January 20, 2020, 12:09:01 PM »
Finally cancelled my audible subscription. had to use up all 8 credits I had first so I picked a bunch of audiobooks out. You lose your credits if you cancel your membership. Then found out I had to go on a desktop computer to cancel your membership and can’t do it at all via mobile. They’ll do anything to make it difficult to cancel! $15 a month saved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13576 on: January 20, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
Harvested tangerines, lemons and tomatoes from the yard.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13577 on: January 21, 2020, 07:18:34 AM »
Saved at least $200 by doing the work on my rental rather than hiring a handyman. Added benefit of getting quite a good workout.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #13578 on: January 21, 2020, 03:24:47 PM »
DH unclogged the garbage disposal instead of first suggesting we call someone (which is his usual MO).

Went "shopping" on Overdrive and added a few books to my TBR list.

Ate leftovers.

Used the holiday to clean my room (my kids thought this was hilarious) and found a dollar bill.

Did NOT turn up the heat, even though we had -20 degree wind chills! Turned on the living room gas fireplace when we were all in there, and used electric blankets at night. Also opened the south-facing blinds during the day and made sure to close them as soon as the sun started setting.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13579 on: January 21, 2020, 03:28:20 PM »
I fixed the stormwater plumbing myself.  Our roof has only three down pipes, and two ran into a pipe that drained away, and the third ran into an old blocked pipe that led under our driveway.  I joined it into the line from the other two downpipes.  No more water everwhere when it rains.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13580 on: January 22, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »
Yesterday I bought a bag of potatoes because they were on sale. At the counter, the shop manager saw that those potatoes had passed the best before date. Therefore I got them for free. They are still good to eat.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #13581 on: January 22, 2020, 10:45:58 AM »
Got out the voltage tester to investigate why one of my garage door opener’s lightbulb keeps burning out. After some troubleshooting, I realized the socket wasn’t maintaining contact so I pried the brass tabs back out a bit and now my light works again (I didn’t even have to replace the bulb!)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #13582 on: January 22, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
Downgraded my New York Times digital subscription down to just the Cooking section subscription after acknowledging that I don't use the other parts very much anymore.

Went from $25 per month to $2.50 per month with the promotional rate the rep gave me.  And now I'll spend more time reading books (my goal) vs. reading articles online.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13583 on: January 24, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
Back from an international work trip & super jet lagged, but... cobbled together dinner last night out of easy freezer options. Also made lunch out of things I've been trying to use up. And finally, defrosted dinner that I doubled & froze last time I was in the kitchen. Chicken curry for dinner it is.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13584 on: January 25, 2020, 11:36:59 AM »
We have a new neighbor who is also into gardening who gifted me with a papaya tree.
Looks like I'll have a new garden friend with whom to exchange seeds and plants - yay!

These first few weeks in the New Year - I've been resisting ordering books on Amazon altogether. I will read the ones I have first:), I'm still stuck on my new gardening books since they are more like manuals. Very slowly working my way through them.
Scored some freebies (romance and mystery books) from BookBub instead.

Got a small check from an old general lawsuit - $15.

The usual small stuff - hanging several loads of laundry outside to dry.
Leftovers and a little batch cooking.

Harvesting herbs and endive lettuce and peppers, dividing plants and growing plant babies from live branches - free food - free plants:).
Composting and mulching - organic gardening.
Reading up on plants and ordered seeds instead of buying plants - saves money and will keep me entertained.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13585 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »
This weekend:  I got a small refund for some gloves I bought on EBay that are neither warm nor technically able to help me use the phone when I’m wearing them.  I also returned a couple things to Amazon—I have written down on a note card but need to be reminded:  STOP BUYING CRAP ON AMAZON. 

I cleaned out some shelves that were getting unsightly and found some stickers and pens to bedazzle my mail. 

I began my professional modeling career by serving as a model for a new esthetician who took before and after photos of my eyebrows.  Free eyebrow wax for me.  Painful but looks good and should stay looking good a long time.  I found the gig on Craigslist. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13586 on: January 26, 2020, 03:29:42 PM »
Tried my hand at canning dried beans.  Nothing blew up and only one can didn't seal.  I'll count that as a win. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #13587 on: January 27, 2020, 12:23:09 PM »
Tried my hand at canning dried beans.  Nothing blew up and only one can didn't seal.  I'll count that as a win.

If they are dry, why do you need to can them?  ;P

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13588 on: January 27, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Avoided stopping at the doughnut shop....  O:)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13589 on: January 27, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
Downgraded my New York Times digital subscription down to just the Cooking section subscription after acknowledging that I don't use the other parts very much anymore.

Went from $25 per month to $2.50 per month with the promotional rate the rep gave me.  And now I'll spend more time reading books (my goal) vs. reading articles online.

Funny, I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago.  When it was like $15/month with Cooking, I was happy to support them, but it just kept inching up.

If they are dry, why do you need to can them?  ;P

Then they're cooked and ready to eat.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13590 on: January 27, 2020, 10:53:39 PM »
Made granola from scratch for quick breakfasts.

Inspired by this thread (I think?) gathered up all the aging produce in the fridge and started a pot of soup. The brassicas will be roasted with olive oil and fancy salt.

Continued our streak of not owning a printer and thus not paying for printer cartridges and reams of paper--the rare necessary print goes digitally to FedEx Office for later pickup.

Decanted a batch of citrus vinegar for use in future cleaning and as a dishwasher rinse aid. Cut up a pair of torn and stained toddler pants for use as cleaning rags.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13591 on: January 28, 2020, 12:48:22 AM »
Fasted today, more to save on food than to save on money. Saving money is a byproduct.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13592 on: January 28, 2020, 03:26:54 PM »
Took to the bus to my mammogram (saving gasoline cost and at least $7 in parking costs). I donated blood while I was near the hospital and was rewarded with a free movie ticket (~$15 in future savings?) from the local theater chain.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13593 on: January 29, 2020, 07:10:08 AM »
working from home and then making dinner instead of going out to celebrate the end of exams for DD.  (We used to go out for dinner at any excuse)  Thank you MMM for pointing out how unnecessary that is.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13594 on: January 29, 2020, 05:01:11 PM »
Successfully postponed grocery trip from Saturday until Wednesday by strategic Costco timing and meal revisions.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13595 on: January 29, 2020, 07:09:22 PM »
I've been using public transport this week since we started back at work. 

Plus side:
  • No wear and tear on the car and motorbike
  • I get to read and relax on the train
  • I get some time with my wife on the train

Negative side:
  • It actually doesn't cost any less than the fuel cost for a car and a motorbike commute (it is more expensive than the motorbike
  • I have run out of books to read

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #13596 on: January 29, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »
Got a check for $100 from the unclaimed funds department of the treasury of a state I lived in more than 15 years ago. 

Any article I ever read about ways to find money advises checking states' lists of unclaimed funds, and I had checked before, and also I kind of thought I would never find anything there because I wouldn't lose track of money.  But back around October I read one of those articles and figured ok, why not check again, and there was my name!

It seems to have been a repayment for a payroll mistake by a long ago employer, which managed to direct-deposit itself into a supposed-to-be-closed account at a bank whose records had my address as that of a friend I lived with for a month way back when - and it took 15 years for them to give up and send the funds to the state. 
So check all the states you ever lived in - you never know.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13597 on: January 29, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Got a check for $100 from the unclaimed funds department of the treasury of a state I lived in more than 15 years ago. 

Any article I ever read about ways to find money advises checking states' lists of unclaimed funds, and I had checked before, and also I kind of thought I would never find anything there because I wouldn't lose track of money.  But back around October I read one of those articles and figured ok, why not check again, and there was my name!

It seems to have been a repayment for a payroll mistake by a long ago employer, which managed to direct-deposit itself into a supposed-to-be-closed account at a bank whose records had my address as that of a friend I lived with for a month way back when - and it took 15 years for them to give up and send the funds to the state. 
So check all the states you ever lived in - you never know.

Whoa! I just sent in a claim for $150 the other day. Some forgotten savings bond that my parents bought for me when I was a kid. Good to know I should still check every year just in case.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13598 on: January 30, 2020, 03:39:30 AM »
DH has taken the car for a few days. Therefore, I have to spend some days without car use. I will today walk to the library. Not very far, but with a long and steep hill.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13599 on: January 30, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Yesterday evening I took a bus to the city instead of driving.  $5 for the fare there and back, vs $12 for parking plus gas.  It didn't even take much longer - the bus gets stuck in the same traffic I would have driving.