Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020975 times)

Igelfreundin

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11600 on: July 13, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »
I bought a new bike. My $25 garage-sale special finally bit the dust. I managed to find a nicer, used bike on Craigslist. I paid $250, but I'm sure it was originally double or triple that. Of course, I would never have bought it at the original price, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11601 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
On our road trip to the north of Norway we drove through Sweden and Finland. Bought cheaper hiking food in Sweden, cookies etc. And cheap beer for later this vacation. And we camped wild a little off the road.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11602 on: July 15, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
On our road trip to the north of Norway we drove through Sweden and Finland. Bought cheaper hiking food in Sweden, cookies etc. And cheap beer for later this vacation. And we camped wild a little off the road.

Oh wow, you must be very very far up north!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11603 on: July 16, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »
Through the New York Public Library's online services today, I got two sets of museum passes, watched two short films, and read a book on my Kindle app. All free!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11604 on: July 17, 2018, 07:18:23 AM »
Yesterday I: ate breakfast & lunch at work (free), drove the electric car to work, and made leftovers for dinner. A regular day, and one I plan to repeat today!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11605 on: July 17, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
I noticed some of my zucchinis were about to go bad, so chopped them up and froze them.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11606 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
Just saved $15 on ink cartridges for the office from what I usually pay at Sam's Club using my $18 Office Depot Reward Certificate from recycling ink earlier this year, and the current Office Depot ink special of buy one get one for 30% off.  Free shipping, tomorrow delivery.  Nice!

Saved another 23% at the store last night = $74.27.  Highlights include 3 free items, $5 off my order for downloading the store's ap onto my phone, and almonds for $2.49.

With a $5 coupon toward a twin pack, my allergy eye drops were essentially BOGO at Walmart yesterday.

Making a huge payment toward my CC last month saved me about $30 in interest on this month's bill.  I made another large payment yesterday to knock it down even more.  I hope to have it paid off by September.

Continuing to bring breakfast, iced coffee, lunch, and snacks from home to the office.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11607 on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »
Got a crazy ebay coupon for $10 US of anything priced $10.01 or more. So I got a $25 CAD gift card for $12.

Went to lovely No Frills. Spent $28, used $20 of points, got $3 back in points. Price matched sweetcorn with Walmart.

Made a nice pot of chili, using some beans from the garden amongst other things (some of which were paid for with a different set of points).

Life is good.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11608 on: July 17, 2018, 06:23:44 PM »
For dinner tonight I cooked a freezer meal that my past self had thoughtfully prepared to make healthy eating easier in the last weeks of pregnancy. It made enough leftovers to pack 3 hearty portions for my husband's lunches.

Accepted some hand-me-downs for the upcoming baby.

Line dried laundry to save energy and so the clothes last longer.

Mended a tear in my husband’s workout shorts.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #11609 on: July 17, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
~ Nearly 100 F here, so took the boys kayaking at a local no-motor lake with a nice swimming area.

~ Took snacks and our big camping cooler jug full of water for free water bottle refills.

~ Came home exhausted and hot, with starving teens begging for Subway. Mixed a can of Trader Joe's jackfruit and a can of black beans with a bottle of barbecue sauce, and within five minutes had mock barbecue chicken sandwiches ready for dinner. Served with random fruit and raw veg from fridge.

~ Harvest garlic, walking onions, a handful of green beans, and a pepper today. Tomatoes and zucchini should be ready soon!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11610 on: July 17, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
We’ve done a much better job of clearing out our fridge/freezer/pantry lately. Tonight’s meal was:

*Slow Cooker Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken, which used up a few leftover scallions and the fresh pineapple from last weekend’s Hungry Harvest box, as well as a pack of chicken thighs from the freezer (we always have the other sauce ingredients on hand)
*Brown rice (pantry staple)
*Frozen broccoli (purchased on sale a while ago and taking up room in the freezer)

It was very easy, very tasty, and didn’t require any extra time or money at the grocery store.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11611 on: July 18, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
- Scored a free charcoal/propane grill with smoker this weekend. New neighbors put it out on the curb with a sign saying Free to a Good Home. Apparently it was too big for their new patio. Luckily we expanded our patio with 88 cent pavers over the course of a couple weekends and were able to scoop up the deal. A bit of elbow grease and we got it all cleaned up and had delicious smoked chicken for dinner last night

Awesome! I've found that outdoor cooking appliances can almost always be had for free (sans propane tanks). People don't want to clean them or they fall into upgrade fever every summer when the new models roll out!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11612 on: July 18, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
Fridge is beyond empty, but made leftovers for dinner last night. The kids come back from summer camp on Friday (12 days at sleepaway camp), and I'm at a work event today/tomorrow, so we'll restock the fridge on Thursday. We need pretty much everything, so expecting a big stock up grocery bill.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11613 on: July 18, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »
Took iced tea to work today in a thermos and when it was empty, I filled the bottle with tap water so I would have a nice bottle of cold water with me on the way to an appointment after work.

I will make iced tea or coffee again tonight to do the same thing tomorrow.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #11614 on: July 18, 2018, 11:50:55 AM »
~ Nearly 100 F here, so took the boys kayaking at a local no-motor lake with a nice swimming area.

~ Took snacks and our big camping cooler jug full of water for free water bottle refills.

~ Came home exhausted and hot, with starving teens begging for Subway. Mixed a can of Trader Joe's jackfruit and a can of black beans with a bottle of barbecue sauce, and within five minutes had mock barbecue chicken sandwiches ready for dinner. Served with random fruit and raw veg from fridge.

~ Harvest garlic, walking onions, a handful of green beans, and a pepper today. Tomatoes and zucchini should be ready soon!

Could I have the recipe for the jackfruit/black bean dinner please? Or at least how you did it? Thanks!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11615 on: July 18, 2018, 07:28:24 PM »
* Got free mulch for our graywater-irrigated herb bed by using the leaf litter and dryer lint from under the neighbor's boxwood hedge

* Hung out two loads of laundry to dry

* Went to the debit-only gas station and saved about two-fiddy

* Used a Starbucks reward to feed a kid for free while out and about (I know I know I know why am I even in Starbucks ever but still)

* Used some accumulated "slow shipping" digital credits to rent a movie on Amazon
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:29:41 PM by jengod »

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11616 on: July 18, 2018, 10:08:00 PM »
@Lauran75

It's not even really a recipe :) I get the cans of Jackfruit at Trader Joes. Drain and shred. Dump the jackfruit and a can of beans in a pot (I mash the beans a little bit because it makes it a bit thicker) and add as much BBQ sauce as you like and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Serve on the buns of your choice. Quicker, cheaper, and healthier than fast food.

We've done teriyaki wrap versions using a similar theory -- jackfruit and vegetables of choice simmered in bottled low sodium teriyaki sauce, then combine with bean sprouts in a wrap or tortilla.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #11617 on: July 18, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
-Brought lunch to work for the 2nd day in a row
-Wife made her own frappuccino at home instead of buying one out
-Have a few things we need, ordered on Amazon on sale, and choosing the slow shipping to get $1 credits each time, which we will eventually apply towards movies on our watchlist for free = free entertainment at home.
-Continuing to sell stuff on CL/Ebay that we want to get rid of.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11618 on: July 19, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »
@Lauran75

It's not even really a recipe :) I get the cans of Jackfruit at Trader Joes. Drain and shred. Dump the jackfruit and a can of beans in a pot (I mash the beans a little bit because it makes it a bit thicker) and add as much BBQ sauce as you like and bring to a simmer for a few minutes. Serve on the buns of your choice. Quicker, cheaper, and healthier than fast food.

We've done teriyaki wrap versions using a similar theory -- jackfruit and vegetables of choice simmered in bottled low sodium teriyaki sauce, then combine with bean sprouts in a wrap or tortilla.

What is jackfruit? Is it a meat substitute?

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11619 on: July 19, 2018, 07:27:36 AM »
@Roadrunner53

Sort of! It's a large unwieldy fruit but its not sweet. I think its originally from India, but not 100% sure. The fruit has a texture similar to shredded chicken or pork, and it tends to absorb whatever flavor you add to it, so it can be used as a meat substitute in some recipes.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #11620 on: July 20, 2018, 11:34:54 AM »
Made lunch out of things at home - fresh cherry tomatoes from the garden, fresh basil I grew, diced up a couple of the kids' cheese sticks, and doused it with balsamic glaze we already had in the fridge.

Also brought peach cobbler I made with fresh peaches from the farmers market. I ain't sufferin'. :)

Making another loaf of bread with the machine tonight.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #11621 on: July 20, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
@Lauran75

Thanks!

I have a couple cans of TJ's jackfruit, and of course plenty of beans. I can't seem to find BBQ sauce that doesn't have high fructose syrup in it - even at TJ's. Do you know of one you can recommend?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11622 on: July 20, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »
@Lauran75

Thanks!

I have a couple cans of TJ's jackfruit, and of course plenty of beans. I can't seem to find BBQ sauce that doesn't have high fructose syrup in it - even at TJ's. Do you know of one you can recommend?

Have you checked recently? None of the BBQ sauces I've bought at TJs have ever had HFCS. I've bought the Kansas city bold- it's sweetened with sugar and molasses- the kentucky bourbon- too sweet for me, but it's sweetened with brown sugar and molasses- and the carolina gold (our favorite)- with cane sugar and molasses. All of them are sweetened, for sure, but I've never seen one with HFCS.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #11623 on: July 20, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
@Lauran75

Thanks!

Have you checked recently? None of the BBQ sauces I've bought at TJs have ever had HFCS. I've bought the Kansas city bold- it's sweetened with sugar and molasses- the kentucky bourbon- too sweet for me, but it's sweetened with brown sugar and molasses- and the carolina gold (our favorite)- with cane sugar and molasses. All of them are sweetened, for sure, but I've never seen one with HFCS.

I was just at TJ's about 6? weeks ago and looked then. I'll have to look for the Kansas City Bold.  Thanks!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11624 on: July 20, 2018, 02:21:40 PM »
@Lauran75

Thanks!

I was just at TJ's about 6? weeks ago and looked then. I'll have to look for the Kansas City Bold.  Thanks!

Of course, if I was being properly mustachian I would continue my quest for a good homemade BBQ sauce! We're very picky, and I keep giving up since I can't get it quite right. I'm going to try mustard BBQ sauce next, since I think it'll be easier to get the flavor right if I'm not struggling with the tomato flavors.

I think I've tried 6 recipes now? Still can't get it right =(

Megs193

• Stubble
« Reply #11625 on: July 21, 2018, 06:54:40 PM »
- Last week I made a menu based on what we already had and my grocery bill was $80 instead of $150

- I’ve brought coffee every morning to work this summer.  This was the last part of my Starbucks habit to break. I have to be at work at 6:30 and I only work 1-2 days a week so it had become a habit when I work. I bought iced coffee and have been using that instead.

- I convinced my husband not to get Starbucks and made him an iced coffee today.

- My husband wanted to eat out tonight and I had spent the entire day working so I was tempted but made a quick mandarin chicken meal from Trader Joe’s.

-  We leave to see family in 3 days and will be taking carry on luggage to avoid fees and save time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11626 on: July 22, 2018, 05:01:47 AM »
- Last week I made a menu based on what we already had and my grocery bill was $80 instead of $150

- I’ve brought coffee every morning to work this summer.  This was the last part of my Starbucks habit to break. I have to be at work at 6:30 and I only work 1-2 days a week so it had become a habit when I work. I bought iced coffee and have been using that instead.

- I convinced my husband not to get Starbucks and made him an iced coffee today.

- My husband wanted to eat out tonight and I had spent the entire day working so I was tempted but made a quick mandarin chicken meal from Trader Joe’s.

-  We leave to see family in 3 days and will be taking carry on luggage to avoid fees and save time.

These are really awesome @Megs193!  Good job. Coffee habits are hard to change, and travel is challenging. 

One of the most important habits we changed was not eating in restaurants while traveling or on vacation.  We always bring food along -- sandwiches/trail mix to an airport, and a full cooler on a road trip.  We have saved gobs of money and time over the years.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11627 on: July 22, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
Going camping tomorrow, to an area where prices are higher. Normally we try to bring as little as possible, but instead we are now packing a lot of edibles. Ik precooked for the first day as well, to use up some perishables as well as for easy eating after a long drive. Brought some spices along so I don't have to buy packages that I'll only use half of. Same for cooking oil etc. We plan on cooking most nights, easier than finding veggie restaurant food in a foreign country IME.
Also plan to NOT use mini bottles of drink etc, but pour from a big bottle into reusable ones. Saves on waste as well.

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #11628 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »
Today we saved on the following:
- my husband asked me if I wanted to go to the mall (haven't been there at least from the begging of the year), but instead went for a bike & kick scooter ride in the city park. Initially went for an ice cream, but since the ice cream shop was closed, we just drank the water that be brought from home.
- lined dried laundry and ironed shirts.
- meal prepped for the whole week (lentil&sweet potato stew, falafel, potato & mushroom soup). We also made vegetable broth since it was needed for the recipes and with the remaining vegetables (potato, celery, zucchini, celery sticks) made a salad to which I added an egg and half of an avocado. Will add soy sauce when eating.
- froze celery sticks and beetroot for an anti inflammatory drink that we would like to drink every day of the next week.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11629 on: July 22, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
My husband tried to convince me to hire someone to deep clean our house after a bunch of construction. I have been getting it done myself. (For transparency, my husband is the pool guy, yard guy, & car wash guy at our house, so has had his hands super full as well and is not sitting around while I clean. ;-)) It's been a big giant PITA, and I haven't enjoyed it, but we've finally turned a corner where it's not terrible & I can actually see what remains to be done (vs, just the entire house).

Made dinner from mostly freezer items yesterday. My husband made up a marinade for hot dogs (seriously, I had no idea) & it turned something that I wouldn't have really enjoyed for dinner into a great meal.

I used garden items (basil, tomatoes) for lunch.

Line dried a ton of laundry that came home from summer camp, sleeping bags, all of our rugs, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11630 on: July 22, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
Right now cooking a turkey that we bought last Thanksgiving for $0.58 cents a lb. It is a 15 lb. turkey. After it cools a little the Hub will cut it up and then we will put the bones in the slow cooker with onions, carrots and celery to make turkey broth. From there, we will make turkey soup after we refrigerate the broth to get the grease hardened up so we can scrape it off. It is a hot, humid day here but we have ac going so no worries about a hot house while cooking the turkey! It is smelling so good!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11631 on: July 22, 2018, 01:52:01 PM »
Did a mystery shop for dinner yesterday at The Capital Grille.  So freaking good although I went over the reimbursement by $5, but even buying steaks from a grocery store would be way more than $5.  Was truly amazed that the place was full considering the prices. 

Prepped food today for the week.  Found 50c a pound chicken thighs on mark down, bought about 20 pounds and packaged them all in marinades for the freezer.   

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11632 on: July 22, 2018, 03:23:55 PM »
Downgraded phone plan.

Savings:$32.98 monthly

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11633 on: July 23, 2018, 08:10:21 AM »
I went to the grocery store yesterday.  I usually poke around the meat markdowns.  Usually the good stuff is still pretty expensive.  But.  I found veal stew meat for $2/lb!  And I bought all six pounds.  I can't get chuck around here for less than $2.50 (on sale... about twice a year).

Googled recipes, and found a veal and bean stew that I tweaked and subbed to use ingredients I already had; dry pinto beans instead of canned white beans, rosemary instead of thyme, onion powder instead of a fresh onion, chicken stock (that I got for 25 cents a box) instead of beef, and a few other things.  It was amazing!  And the whole big pot used $4 worth of meat and maybe $1.50 worth of other ingredients. 

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11634 on: July 23, 2018, 01:45:14 PM »
-- Went to a local celebration to watch fireworks. Booths were handing out a bunch of promotional stuff, most of it junk.  But DH did get his hands on two travel sized Tom's toothpaste :)
-- Dogs and I walk past a local beach/park regularly.  Stuff gets left for days on end and ends up tossed oftentimes. I picked up a polo shirt I had seen in the sand for two days straight.  It came clean in the wash, so if it fits DH, he will have a new free shirt.  Otherwise I will donate.
-- Its cool today, so the windows are open instead of air conditioning the place...
-- Picked up a penny
-- Am buying a set of earrings today that I set aside the last time I worked (had to wait to purchase through a manager).  It was on clearance and an orange sticker, so an extra 30% off.  They will be part of a birthday gift for my sister at a whopping 70 cents.....

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11635 on: July 23, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
I cancelled my acupuncture appointment because I don’t feel any great improvements and I’m still sore from the last session.  I got a recommendation for an acupuncturist who works on Saturdays and seems more legit than my person. 

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11636 on: July 23, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
-Connected my fitness tracker to the Walgreens reward app & discovered I've passively earned $10 (I get credit for just wearing the fitbit, which I wear for other purposes). We need band aids & a few other things, so will redeem for items on our list
-Made leftovers for dinner
-Used the last of a gift card to buy the kids powdered Gatorade. We normally don't buy any drinks, but they are at a soccer camp from 8:30-4 this week, and biking to/from camp, and it's 90 degrees here. I allowed the splurge. ;-)
-Have been monitoring our (newly installed) air conditioning usage & balancing against our solar consumption. We installed solar pretty much so we could afford to run air conditioning, so trying to hit that balance without getting crazy hot
-Charged our electric car for free at work

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11637 on: July 23, 2018, 09:20:42 PM »
I cooked two large dishes for dinner tonight. We should be set for the rest of the week.
Cut up a holey t-shirt for rags
Picked fruit from our trees--gave to friends, will bring to work, and enough for us.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11638 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
Instead of stopping for a sugary Sonic treat after work last night (it's been nearly100 degrees here!) I talked myself out of it by telling myself I'd have a slice of the low carb cheesecake I made Sunday night when I got home.  I served it with warmed up fresh blueberries on top.  And, most importantly, I don't hate myself today and feel fantastic.  Savings about $3+.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11639 on: July 24, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
- Made a bean salad using ingredients on hand to take to a barbecue that had a "bring a dish or bring booze" request.

- Asked around and was able to borrow two youth life jackets. Taking my visiting niece and nephew kayaking and needed PFDs for them.

- Second week of meal prepping lunches and dinners for myself. I'm losing weight, eating better, and spending less.

-Harvested green beans and tomatoes from the garden. Will be freezing some of the beans because it appears I planted "an epic amount" (according to one boy-child).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11640 on: July 24, 2018, 08:10:42 PM »
Bought husband a refurb business desktop, but it wouldn't talk to any of our older VGA monitors, even with adaptors. It did come with an aftermarket graphics card, saving me the trouble and expense of buying and installing one (he needs it for work). But the lovely free graphics card has DVI and Displayport, no HDMI. So I went to Office Depot, determined that the cheapest monitor with either port was $249.99.* So I went across the street to the thrift store, found an LG DVI monitor for $12.99, discovered at the register it was 20% off, and then went back to the Office Depot where I had to pay twice the cost of the monitor for a DVI cable.

*Yes, I know I might have been able to adapt from HDMI, but those were not cheap either and success not guaranteed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:16:12 PM by Rural »

draculawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11641 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
1. I discovered that I like $1.47 coffee from McDonalds better than $4 coffee from Starbucks. But, knowing my tendency to overindulge and overspend, I just drank the free coffee at work instead.

2. I did not buy the new Rubbermaid Brilliance food storage containers because mine still work and serve the same purpose at about $50 cheaper per set.

3. The A/C is set to kick in at 69 degrees instead of my normal sleeping temperature of 65 degrees. I would like 69 degrees to be my new norm.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11642 on: July 24, 2018, 08:47:34 PM »
-- Cut up an old pair of paint shorts into rags
-- saved several foodstuff bags for doggie doo bags and am continuing to supplement with bags from work shipments too
-- picked up an extra shift at work yesterday
-- reused a couple of canvases with works on them that I was no longer thrilled with
-- Drank homemade sweet tea, snacked on bogo strawberries today
-- Lunch was leftover pasta, leftover shrimp, leftover green onion, leftover corn, and leftover cream cheese all mixed into something that was an okay tasting pasta dish....
-- DH and I combined an ice cream date night with our newest 'side hustle'.  Several scooter companies just moved into the area and they are electric.  You can sign up to become 'chargers' for them, picking them up in the evenings and returning them to specified locations in the morning for use.  DH went to an introductory course after being approved online and got 4 chargers.  4 scooters earns a minimum of 20.00 a night for the cost of walking them home and dropping them off in the early morning.....

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11643 on: July 25, 2018, 08:15:29 AM »
- Biked to work (and from one work location to another about a mile away) for the 16th time in a row.  Still pretty new, but becoming ingrained.
- Took a co-worker up on some free fresh-caught fish from his deepwater fishing trip.  I can't eat it, but wife and kids can.
- Rejected the 'working lunch' provided, which recommended a $10 donation.  Ate the food I brought/keep in my office instead.  Had to leave the meeting shortly after lunch anyway.
- Convinced brothers to do books only for Christmas gifts for nephews/nieces.  7 (and counting) books per year rather than various more expensive/wasteful plastic toys.  Birthday gifts will hopefully follow at some point; one brother wants to do clothes, which would be ok with me.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #11644 on: July 25, 2018, 08:42:12 PM »
-- Considered grabbing dinner out.  Picked up a rotisserie chicken and bagged salad instead. 
-- Leftovers for lunch
-- Shared some homemade cookies with several neighbors.  Spreading community and the calories out ;)
-- Will be meeting a neighbor for a dog park play date tomorrow morning.  Free fun!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11645 on: July 26, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »
-Sold an in room a/c for $230
-made dinner out of leftovers
-Charged car for free at work + ate breakfast & lunch for free at work

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #11646 on: July 27, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »
Over the past week:

Picked our first English cucumber!
Snacked on strawberries and cherry tomatoes from the garden while watering.
Been opening the windows at night during this weird cool stretch.
Upped the thermostat temp to an average of 79 (4-degree difference between floors).
Made several loaves of bread.
Found a lidded jar that will fit my burgeoning sourdough starter instead of buying a new jar or crock.
Decided not to continue the kids' piano lessons right now. May start again later.
Made a detailed grocery list based on sales ads and recipes we'll actually make.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11647 on: July 27, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
Fixed my lawn mower.  I bought it from the thrift store last year for $20.  (It was marked $40, and I would have paid it.  It's a nice mower.  I asked the employee if we could try to start it, mostly so I could make sure it wasn't seized.  He told me it didn't work, agreed anyway, and when it didn't start, knocked half off for some reason.)  Cleaned the carbs last year, and it was fine.  Has been having issues starting, and finally stopped completely the other day.  So I checked the carbs again.  They were fine.  Paid 5 bucks for a spark plug, popped it in, and it runs like new again.

Haven't eaten out (and paid myself) in weeks.  Bringing lunch and dinners with me everywhere in my $2 thrift store playmate cooler.

Working a bonus gig this weekend and last, doubling my take home for the month.

Taking advantage of all the free birthday deals I can find.  I mean... I'll pay for all the junk food in other ways, but it won't be financially! :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11648 on: July 27, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
-Ate leftovers for lunch
-Husband drove our electric car while I stayed home (working from home)
-Making homemade naan pizza for dinner
-Cleaned up our train table & boxed all Legos. Listed both on our local Facebook swap. Must not have priced the Legos correctly, because have had 5 responses in 10 minutes :-)
-Considered getting the kids a new organizer, now that the train table has outlived its usefulness. Instead, remembered that we had a few awkward enclosed shelves nearby (I hate them, but they are nevertheless in our living room), which will work well for electronics and Magic card storage. All clutter is now removed from my living room & it looks so much better.
-Made 2.5 dozen muffins out of a few elderly bananas

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11649 on: July 28, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »

-We have been considering getting a dog for a year or so, since our last pup went from old age in 2016. We've been looking for something that meets both of our needs: I wanted a well-behaved rescue dog that isn't super large or loud, DH had his heart set on the same breed as our last (lab/retriever) but they are hard to come by (and expensive)!

Last week we were asked to watch a friends dog when they went out of town - a week on, we've been having a great time, and they've just asked if we will consider keeping the dog permanently (as they travel a heap for work and the dog doesn't get enough attention)! It's a beautiful small lab, 4 years old, well-trained and quiet. Having had her for the past few weeks has been a great trial, we know she isn't destructive or barky, and it has just worked out perfectly! Bonus, she is out of the tough puppy training stage, and comes with dog bed/toys/remaining food and tick treatment, which will save us big $$$!