Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3450781 times)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3350 on: May 06, 2015, 11:34:51 PM »
Enjoyed my bday in the best possible way - built a new duckling pen with stuff we had lying around, planted a flat of corn and drank the most delicious homemade hard cider. Dinner? Who knows! Rice and something I think. The best part of birthdays in my family is you get out of chores for a full day! I had what I wanted - eggs and black bean salsa - and everyone else fended for themselves. :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3351 on: May 07, 2015, 12:42:31 AM »
Happy birthday, Erica!

* Made my first-ever curry, adding a new food to my home cooking repertoire. Used homegrown green onions and garlic.
* Took public transport across the wilds of Los Angeles to a laundry-to-landscape greywater workshop. The bus cost money, so did the workshop, and so will a greywater install, but I think the long game qualifies as Mustachian!
* Found a dime on the ground.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3352 on: May 07, 2015, 09:59:10 AM »
Thanks! Wow, greywater - in my dream world we retrofit a greywater system but it'd be big money and our water bills aren't as bad up here as for you guys so I think the payoff would be negative. I'm thinking about doing a redneck greywater thing with a siphon and a hose out of my bathroom window so at least bathtub water can be recaptured for ducks. :D

jooles

• Stubble
« Reply #3353 on: May 07, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Hi there, mama! 

Well, my prep revolved around whatever was left in my fridge/freezer that needed using up.  For my lunches, etc, this week, I made:
- sweet potato/peanut butter soup
- white bean/broccoli soup
- rice milk (to be used in various recipes)
- fried rice with zucchini & orange peppers (and hot peanuts)
- tamales with pintos and (canned) ranchero sauce
- corn bread
- hummus
- smoothie packs (5 of them - spinach, carrot, banana, strawberries)
- mashed potatoes

I am left with at least 5 servings of the soups + cornbread for lunches.  I will also have a smoothie to take M-F to work.  For dinners, the tamales and fried rice will be staples.  I can supplement with the hummus (although, feel like I need something else to serve with it).

My diet is vegan and gluten-free, so probably different than most . . . but if this can provide any inspiration, I am happy to share.

Lunahsol - Thanks for the great meal ideas.  I've fallen into a rut.  You've lifted me out.  BTW - Do you make your own tamale base (the corn part)?

Better Late Than Never

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3354 on: May 07, 2015, 02:18:18 PM »
Gave DH a haircut.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3355 on: May 07, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
Having lots of fun experimenting with "travel hacking" in the process discovered when my card got transferred from one bank to another, they downgraded my account (thus earning less miles) but still charged me the higher cards annual fee. I should have been paying more attention.  On the bight side, they gave me a very nice bonus to make up for it.

Realized I can buy PC giftcards at extrafoods when I am traveling (and get extra points) and use them at Nofrills which doesn't take visa.

Planning a trip to Portland and found some great groupons for things we were planning on doing anyways.

Organized to be an egg PU location in our town for one of our farmers, so they just have to come to me instead of driving all over town. Free duck eggs!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3356 on: May 07, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »
  BTW - Do you make your own tamale base (the corn part)?

I use Maseca.  It is brand of masa harina (corn flour).  Just combine the masa with enough water to get the right consistency.  I also add a splash of olive oil and sometimes extra spices like cumin or a dash of hot sauce when I mix it up.  But just masa & water works if you want to keep it simple.

My list for today:
*  received notification from HR at work of some new benefits - need to research more to see how I can maximize them
*  went to Target in search of different snacks, but came back empty handed (saving money & calories - yay!)

DonkeyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • ...with two donkeys and a mare
« Reply #3357 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
I didn't stop at McDonald's for iced coffee when running errands today, which I normally crave. I reminded myself how much ice they use and how little actual coffee that gives me for the price. Plus I remember the time I could swear they forgot to put any coffee in it. ("Can I order a large iced milk and sugar to go? Thanks.") So... yeah, not a hard decision. My coffee at home tastes great.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3358 on: May 07, 2015, 09:34:54 PM »
I didn't stop at McDonald's for iced coffee when running errands today, which I normally crave. I reminded myself how much ice they use and how little actual coffee that gives me for the price. Plus I remember the time I could swear they forgot to put any coffee in it. ("Can I order a large iced milk and sugar to go? Thanks.") So... yeah, not a hard decision. My coffee at home tastes great.

I have something pretty similar ... was out and about today around the city and stuck in horrendous traffic on the way home.  Was SO thirsty (and desperate for the bathroom at the same time!)  Was driving right past a McD's, and yes, iced coffee came to mind.  But I knew I'd be driving right past my parents' place a few minutes later, so held off for a bathroom break and glass of water there.  The cherry ice cream they were eating for dessert when I arrived at the tail end of dinner hour was just a bonus :-)

Also, am trying to keep a couple of things unplugged (microwave) or turned off (power bar I use with my laptop) when not in used to save those electricity pennies ...

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3359 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »
Reorg'd leaner meaner freezer. There's space! Amazing!

Today's batch cook from the pantry:
-chickpea, cauliflower and coconut red curry with rice
-smoked portuguese sausage with white beans, tomato and green olives
-braised pork shank with pear preserves
-three kinds of bread (whole wheat kombucha sandwich loaf, whole wheat round turban-type thingie, white flour hamburger buns)

Took fish and burger meat out from freezer to thaw. Fish is a snapper I was traded for eggs.

Worked in garden. Sowed more seeds. Harvested broccoli.

"Supervised" ducklings. Total fair market value of my ducklings is $72, though my interest in keeping them happy and healthy is WAY past the financials.

Didn't buy anything. :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3360 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »
"Supervised" ducklings. Total fair market value of my ducklings is $72, though my interest in keeping them happy and healthy is WAY past the financials.

I can't help but wonder how exactly one "supervises" ducklings?!  It sounds adorable :)  And good for you for giving them a quality life!

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3361 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »
Received new cheapo smartyphone #2 from Ting today, completing our conversion from ATT & VZW dumbphones.
Monthly savings going forward =  ~$12.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:43:23 PM by TheFixer »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3362 on: May 08, 2015, 07:37:40 AM »
whole wheat kombucha sandwich loaf

Oh this sounds good.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3363 on: May 08, 2015, 08:07:15 AM »
The Hub has a Friday off.  Breakfast out to celebrate?  Nope, home brewed coffee and some special pastries gifted by a neighbor.  Entertainment provided by the cats.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3364 on: May 08, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
Yay for finding someone on Marktplaats with the same approximate dress size, taste and location. I restocked my wardrobe quite inexpensively. Only "problem": what do I tell my "normal" highschool friend with whom I was supposed to go shopping tomorrow? Maybe I can convince her to take a look in one of the thrift stores with me. I can still use some other items. Like a cast iron frying pan LOL.

Technically yesterday: took a chance at riding my bike through showery weather and managed to stay dry. Another busticket saved :)
A no-spend day today. Just biking, working, eating homemade breakfast/lunch/dinner. Boring but frugal.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3365 on: May 08, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »
I am not walking at graduation tonight.  Not spending $70 dollars on robe and cap and tassel. The degree is what I want.

I am finishing my associates at a community college and going directly to a four year school for my bachelors. I'll walk then... Or maybe I'll wait for my masters...

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3366 on: May 08, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »
Made a double batch of bread dough today (21 cups of flour) and turned it into 2 pans of buns and a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread. Boiled 16 eggs for sandwich fillings and devilled eggs this weekend. Made a huge chili and a chicken rice soup a few days ago -- they're ready in the freezer. I'm going to visit my adult son (used airline points!) and am leaving food for my husband and kids so they aren't tempted to eat out or order in :-)

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #3367 on: May 08, 2015, 04:57:08 PM »
Walked around target yesterday.  Took a couple of pics of things I am considering, and then came home. 
Ate leftovers for lunch.
Got a lot done at home, but did't buy anything online. 
Listed a few things on craigslist to sell.
Getting ready for a yard sale tomorrow.  Added more items I can live without. 

BriarRose111

• Stubble
« Reply #3368 on: May 09, 2015, 08:07:39 AM »
I wanted to go get McDonald's last night for dinner.  But instead I came home (after visiting the library to get a couple books), and made spaghetti.  I wanted to go pick up breadsticks to go with it, but I didn't.  I found out that cheap Tastee hamburger buns work great for making garlic bread/toast!  I'll not be wasting leftover buns anymore now that I know this works so well.

BriarRose111

• Stubble
« Reply #3369 on: May 09, 2015, 08:11:25 AM »
I wanted to go get McDonald's last night for dinner.  But instead I came home (after visiting the library to get a couple books), and made spaghetti.  I wanted to go pick up breadsticks to go with it, but I didn't.  I found out that cheap Tastee hamburger buns work great for making garlic bread/toast!  I'll not be wasting leftover buns anymore now that I know this works so well.
I guess the buns were generic brand "Essentials" or something.  Money saving from a previous day - these buns are cheaper than the bakery buns and we actually like them better.  Since we don't eat alot of bread (or rely on it for nutrition), I don't think it really adds anything to get the bakery buns.  And like I said, they make amazing garlic toast.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3370 on: May 10, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »

I can't help but wonder how exactly one "supervises" ducklings?!  It sounds adorable :)  And good for you for giving them a quality life!
Well, it's quite involved. You get a cup of coffee and go outside and sit in the sun. THEN you spend like 30 minutes saying stuff like "Awe....." and "Squeee!!!!" while taking about 900 photos, all of which are blurry.

Then, you mutter softly to mama duck that you are not going to hurt any of the babies and very slowly refill the food and water and scrape away any muckiness that's happened under the water (ducks are messy). This takes about 2 minutes.

Then you back away slowly so mama relaxes and go inside to "get some work done" but really just refill your coffee and come back out to watch happy splashing ducklings for another hour.

I recommend specialized training before you try it so the cuteness doesn't make you explode immediately.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3371 on: May 10, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
I recommend specialized training before you try it so the cuteness doesn't make you explode immediately.

+1!!!!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3372 on: May 10, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »

Well, it's quite involved. You get a cup of coffee and go outside and sit in the sun. THEN you spend like 30 minutes saying stuff like "Awe....." and "Squeee!!!!" while taking about 900 photos, all of which are blurry.

Then, you mutter softly to mama duck that you are not going to hurt any of the babies and very slowly refill the food and water and scrape away any muckiness that's happened under the water (ducks are messy). This takes about 2 minutes.

Then you back away slowly so mama relaxes and go inside to "get some work done" but really just refill your coffee and come back out to watch happy splashing ducklings for another hour.

Aha, I knew that time at the bird sanctuary watching baby geese had a reason.  I am building up my tolerance.  And in keeping with the spirit of the thread, the Hub and I pay a whole $15.00/year for the privilege which means our visit yesterday cost us around 25 cents each.

DonkeyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3373 on: May 10, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
I am not walking at graduation tonight.  Not spending $70 dollars on robe and cap and tassel. The degree is what I want.

I am finishing my associates at a community college and going directly to a four year school for my bachelors. I'll walk then... Or maybe I'll wait for my masters...

Congrats on the associates! I didn't walk for any of my graduations, come to think of it. High school, AA, BS, MS. I hated the idea of all that sitting around and clapping and boredom.

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #3374 on: May 10, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »

Congrats on the associates! I didn't walk for any of my graduations, come to think of it. High school, AA, BS, MS. I hated the idea of all that sitting around and clapping and boredom.

I also didn't walk for any graduations. Personally I don't care, but sometimes I wonder if my parents are sad they didn't have any of those chances to watch their children walk in ceremonies. My brother and I both haven't been to any of the ceremonies.

Maybe it's the reason why my dad continues to forget that I'm done with school and have my masters.

DonkeyGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3375 on: May 11, 2015, 01:54:29 PM »

I also didn't walk for any graduations. Personally I don't care, but sometimes I wonder if my parents are sad they didn't have any of those chances to watch their children walk in ceremonies. My brother and I both haven't been to any of the ceremonies.

Maybe it's the reason why my dad continues to forget that I'm done with school and have my masters.

Mine didn't mind at all. They attended my older brother's five hour high school graduation a few years earlier, and my graduating class was even bigger than his. Our school was quite overcrowded. :(

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3376 on: May 11, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
I've spent some time today learning about how to repair our refrigerator before calling a repairman. Looks like what we are experiencing is a common problem so hopefully I'll be saving some time and money by attempting to fix it myself first.

We also just switched our house phone from a landline to a Republic Wireless number (we have two kids at home and don't want them to have their own cell phones, but do want them to be able to call us after school if they need us). This will save us around $8-10 or so a month plus the money we will save from not answering all of the calls for donations. We also switched my husband's cell phone to Republic since the cost to upgrade the phone with our provider was stupid. The monthly fees saved here will be about  another $5 a month.

All small things, but in the end will add up to a couple hundred dollars in savings over the course of a year.

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #3377 on: May 11, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
Yesterday I researched on Youtube and figured out how to replace the watch battery in my son's Fossil watch for the $4.95 cost of the battery and a little of my time. Also courtesy of Youtube, removed a couple of excess links from the Citizen solar powered watch I bought at Costco on Saturday.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to replace the battery in my older Citizen ladies watch (rectangular case). There was no discernible lip at the rear edges of the waterproof case to pry under, and nothing online I could find, so my wife will take that to the jewelry repair place for me.

Edited to add - the Fossil watch battery came in a pack of two, so it actually cost about $2.48
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:50:38 PM by dorothyc »

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3378 on: May 11, 2015, 06:57:31 PM »
I re-padded and re-upholstered a couple of dining room chairs. I had to buy a stable gun, some foam and fabric. I also tightened the various wobbles and ricketiness.

I won't be quitting my day-job (wait, I already did), but they look nicer and they're usable.

It cost about $40 for the two chairs - saved about $100 over buying new ones at Target.

mabinogi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3379 on: May 11, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
Made my own Larabars. Yum!

Had to loan something to a friend, and walked it over to her house instead of driving.

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3380 on: May 11, 2015, 07:39:45 PM »
Hand painted the deck railing - both saving the cost of someone else doing it and helping our deck last a very long time!

Googled the physical therapy I think I need, ran through the exercises myself.  Even if I'm wrong, a bit of exercise can't hurt!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3381 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »
Made double batch of chocolate pudding cake to go with dinner of lentils and Greek salad.

Made double batch of coffee cake and wrapped individual slices for kids who need lunches for work, school, etc.

Had friend over for tea instead of hitting coffee shop.

Using up aromatherapy oils I already have in my diffuser instead of buying new ones, even though I was sorely tempted on the weekend.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3382 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Ordered replacement lids for a Pyrex casserole and a Revereware saucepan, extending their usefulness in our household.

Decluttered some non-stick cookware and a couple of baby things.

Made lemon poppyseed bread with homemade lemon extract and several other pantry ingredients.

Decanted some conditioner my mom gave me into my reusable conditioner bottle. Shouldn't have to buy any for a long while.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:14:17 PM by jengod »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3383 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:48 PM »
Finished refoaming my second speaker.  Assuming that this one is as improved as the first one was, my yard sale stereo system is going to sound pretty darned good.  Refoaming kit cost $20 at Simply Speakers and seems to improve things amazingly.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3384 on: May 12, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
Posted a bunch of stuff on Craigslist. It won't bring in much money, but it'll let me rent a smaller storage unit and spend less time moving.

Bought a pretty dress that was 50% off at a local consignment store. It still wasn't cheap by Mustachian standards, but it's almost $100 less than the price listed on the company's website. It doesn't save anything unless there's some special occasion sometime before it gets cold again, so here's hoping lots of friends get married soon or else have random fancy parties.

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3385 on: May 12, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Felt restless, so hubby and i went to library, husband bought Crime and Punishment for a buk, then we went to Aldis for muesli (lasts way longer than granola) but they were sold out, so left, without, buying, anything, shock horror. Hubsters says that this website is taking effect already lol hahah

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3386 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Here's a good article about a marketing tool called anchoring, and how it influences our purchasing decisions: http://www.inc.com/the-build-network/the-anchoring-effect.html

Sigh. I'm sure you're right. In this case, though, I didn't know the original price of the dress when it was new until I got home. I only looked it up afterward to make myself feel better about having bought it at all. I paid $39.50, which is more than I'd typically spend. I have another dress I got there for about $3.50 at an end-of-the-season sale, and I end up wearing that one almost every week.

To save money today, though, I made more bread in the breadmaker, watched free shows on CrunchyRoll, and returned a textbook rental on time.

No-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3387 on: May 13, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Made banana wheat germ muffins muffins, scrambled tofu for breakfast burritos, an Indian dish (chickpeas and cauliflower), rice, and a sweet potato and bean dish to take on the trip I'm taking. 5 days and plan to eat out twice (besides stadium food that cannot be avoided). Woot!

dandypandys

• Bristles
« Reply #3388 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Didn't turn the AC on yet, and it is HOT, esp with this laptop on me. But think of my savings hahah!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3389 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:55 AM »
Figured out how to make hummus with balsamic vinegar which I have instead of a lemon which I would have to go out and buy.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3390 on: May 13, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »

I didn't go to any of mine (HS, BA, MBA), and I don't think my mother ever really forgave me for that. My BA would have been special for her, in retrospect. Though personally it wasn't important to me.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3391 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
So . . . in comparison to the past 3 months, the past few days have been so spendy for me.  Nothing frivolous, just some unforseen expenses that I could have been better prepared for . . . . but!  the good news:

I went to the grocery store tonight in search of something tasty and easy to have for dinner - without having to expend much energy in the kitchen.  But in considering my options, I realized I would not be satisfied with any prepackaged food more than I would be by my own cooking.  I have everything I need at home to make a tasty and easy meal. 

This change in attitude and perspective is fantastic and I know it will help me recover and get back on track quickly.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3392 on: May 14, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
We've had a pretty good week, these are from the last couple of days:

* Put together a kit to make decorative wood crates for the Webelos scouts, using old yard sticks and scrap wood in the garage. This is their last project of the year, which is good because the pack coffers are just about skint.

* Had another cleaning appointment at the dental hygiene school this morning -- one more to go and they are done (at a fraction of the cost of getting it done elsewhere).

* Got our first bill for the pay-by-mile car insurance. It was half what our monthly rate would have been with our previous insurance.

* Younger son and I walked to a nearby thrift store this afternoon. I found the math program we use, complete with answer key, that he needs for next year. Half price tag day, so it was $1.49 for both. Granted, it's the previous edition and not the current one, but how much does prealgebra change in 9 years? (savings: $65) Pro tip: Thrift stores don't know the value of homeschool curriculum, so they are usually priced low like the outdated and unwanted college textbooks they are shelved next to.

* Have mastered this no-oven/no wheat cooking thing. We continue to survive without the oven, so we probably won't order the part for a couple of more months. This week we've enjoyed:
- A zucchini and sausage skillet creation, served with pan roasted green beans.
- Loaded nachos (made zucchini chips in my dehydrator and meat chili in the crockpot) with coleslaw.
-Tuna patties and cauliflower salad (like macaroni salad, but with cauli)
-Tonight: crockpot fajita soup with herbed almond flour flat bread, made on my electric griddle.
-Bonus item: A lemon bundt cake for the boys, made in the microwave. I found a microwave bundt pan for 50 cents at the thrift store. Usual cake recipe + extra egg, cook 9 minutes. They say it is divine :)

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3393 on: May 14, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
* Have mastered this no-oven/no wheat cooking thing. We continue to survive without the oven, so we probably won't order the part for a couple of more months. This week we've enjoyed:
- A zucchini and sausage skillet creation, served with pan roasted green beans.
- Loaded nachos (made zucchini chips in my dehydrator and meat chili in the crockpot) with coleslaw.
-Tuna patties and cauliflower salad (like macaroni salad, but with cauli)
-Tonight: crockpot fajita soup with herbed almond flour flat bread, made on my electric griddle.
-Bonus item: A lemon bundt cake for the boys, made in the microwave. I found a microwave bundt pan for 50 cents at the thrift store. Usual cake recipe + extra egg, cook 9 minutes. They say it is divine :) 

Hi Joshin!  I took a quick look at your profile to see other posts you've made, to get an idea whether this is an appropriate suggestion - didn't look at them all though!  Anyway, sounds like your younger son might be the right age to enjoy a project, and you're homeschooling?  Have you ever thought of trying to build a solar oven?  Depending on where you are located (didn't find that in my quick peek at your profile) that could give you an oven to cook with for at least the next few months, and longer if you're in a warm climate.

Here's one website:  http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/homemade_solar_ovens.html

(Full disclosure:  I've never built a solar oven.  I'd like to though.  But since I won't probably get around to it, maybe I can live vicariously through you.)

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3394 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:56 AM »
Picked up two marked down rotisserie chickens for $5 all in.  Cheaper than buying chicken and cooking it at home.  Will provide for many meals.  And will make probably 6-8 quarts of stock for canning purposes.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3395 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:11 AM »
Picked up the cheapest possible cut of pork (boneless leg) in a bag.  Marinated it in the cheapest cooking sherry, soy sauce, garlic and spices.  Currently roasting it on low and letting the oven warm the room instead of turning on the heat.  No restaurants for us this weekend.  They don't make anything that tastes this good.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3396 on: May 15, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Picked up two marked down rotisserie chickens for $5 all in.  Cheaper than buying chicken and cooking it at home.  Will provide for many meals.  And will make probably 6-8 quarts of stock for canning purposes.
I love rotisserie chickens!  I've only recently started making stock from the carcass, but the prepared meat is still a good deal. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3397 on: May 15, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
I'm putting a chicken on the rotisserie in about an hour and we are having chicken caesar salad for dinner with homemade dressing...can't wait! About 10 chickens left from the farmer from last year, and we just heard today that our next 50 chickens for the year are ready July 4th.

Went to make buns today, only to discover I'm out of yeast. Went to Walmart and bought buns instead of caving and picking up fast food to feed family.

Drinking my way through my tea cupboard. Found a little tin of loose herbal tea today and used it up.

Bought cheap flip flops and sandals for the kids at Walmart.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3398 on: May 16, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
I walked to the post office this morning to pick up my new external hard drive (bought in part with trade in credits from textbooks people were thowing away and with an amazon giftcard I purchased to get $10 back from them.)  Now I have memory space to scan (and no longer have to move/store) two huge scrapbooks.  I am reaching the end my purging.

I harvested the first spinach from my little stoop garden.  I wilted it and had it over some "not enough for a meal" ravioli along with some "not enough for a meal" tomato soup, with a little big of mozerella cheese grated on top.  I may have to repeat that meal!  It was so good.

I hemmed up the skirt I made yesterday, out of supplies I had on hand, to fill a hole I discovered in my wardrobe when I had two semi formal meetings in a row this week.

I am very carefully encouraging my cell phone charger to keep working until I get to town next week.  I have a list of things I need in town and plenty of time to go this weekend but the receycling center is only open week days and it seems pointless to drive half an hour and not be able to drop off my recycling!

As for literal saving and not just penny pinching, I get a raise effective Monday!  I'm still incredibly underpaid, but this will be enough to allow me to more than break even!

I also got an academic scholarship just last week.  It's strange to come at the end of the semester. Because of my penny pinching I have no imediate desperate need for the money, so I put it into my "school savings account". I feel strange because my classmates all seem to have imediate desperate needs.  Does that mean I am less deserviing of financial grants?  No.  It means I practice self control.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3399 on: May 16, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
Breakfast was rice cooked in the flavor I rinsed out of the pot I made roast pork in yesterday and topped with chopped green onion tops.  This is the second batch of tops I have grown on the roots of the same grocery store green onions.  I wonder if they go on forever.