Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020980 times)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #11300 on: May 21, 2018, 11:27:24 AM »
ETA: I sauteed the carrot greens in some mushroom and sage-infused olive oil and they were...edible. Barely. I don't think I'll make them again, unless someone has a tried-and-true recipe to share.

I've always found carrot greens too bitter to eat alone.  Small amounts can be added to soups or when you're making broth.  If you grow radishes or get them fresh at the farmer's market, those greens are delicious to me when sauteed.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm not a big fan of radishes so I don't grow them, but if I ever end up with some radish greens I'll try them out. :)

If you don't like radishes, you won't like the greens which taste, ah, kinda like radishes.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #11301 on: May 21, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
Today I'm editing the essay I wrote last weekend and I always feel like I "deserve" nice food while studying. I started off my day with a fancy, but homemade coffee. At 11 I had a short break during which I made oatmeal-banana-peanutbutter cupcakes. Had a salad at 2, using up ingredients from the fridge and also some soup. My s/o is going to make burgers and fries for dinner, also homemade.

Eating cheap and from scratch is something you just need to do, even if you don't feel like it. I try to make life easier by boiling a few eggs at the same time and making batches of 12 oatmeal cupcakes, so I can always grab a quick, healthy snack.

This is so true, I've been having trouble fighting the urge to get takeout lately! I did similar today -- I really wanted to go sit in a cafe and drink fancy coffee while studying. Instead, I made myself an ice coffee and sat out on the patio with my laptop. Instead of procrastinating by people watching, I procrastinated by watching the bees and butterflies in the garden :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11302 on: May 21, 2018, 02:42:32 PM »
ETA: I sauteed the carrot greens in some mushroom and sage-infused olive oil and they were...edible. Barely. I don't think I'll make them again, unless someone has a tried-and-true recipe to share.

I've always found carrot greens too bitter to eat alone.  Small amounts can be added to soups or when you're making broth.  If you grow radishes or get them fresh at the farmer's market, those greens are delicious to me when sauteed.

Not a recipe, but, a neighbor made pesto out of carrot tops and gave us a few jars.  Not too shabby.  :)

MustacheBeginner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11303 on: May 21, 2018, 02:45:24 PM »
I canceled my Wall Street Journal subscription which saves me $35/month or $420/year.
$35 a month invested into index funds @8% gives me $37.060 interest :-P while having $12.600 paid into it in total.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11304 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:13 AM »
Finally, walked to work again. When I did so last week, I had to report in sick the next day, because I became so allergic to birch trees that had extreme pollen release that day and I felt really awful the next day. Now I have been taking DH's allergy tablets for a whole week and the pollen are moderate. So today walking went well (so far).

Showering at work and washed my hair with shampoo provided at work.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:09:36 AM by Linda_Norway »

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #11305 on: May 22, 2018, 06:48:47 AM »
Finally, walked to work again. When I did so last week, I had to report in sick the next day, because I became so allergic to birch trees that had extreme pollen release that day and I felt really awful the next day. Now I have been taking DH's allergy tablets for a whole week and the pollen are moderate. So today walking went well (so far).

Showering at work and washed my hair with shampoo provided at work.
Good idea to shower at work - get that pollen off of you/out of your hair so you have a lesser reaction!  My husband has been biking to work and we are also in full tree allergy season (oak for him) but between Allegra allergy pills and showering at both ends of the commute (when he gets to work and again when he gets home) he is enjoying the exercise.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11306 on: May 22, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Returned an item I bought online that didn't quite do what I wanted - I decided to stick with the option I already had instead, since it seems to work better even though it is not what I had in mind.

Shopped around my car and renters insurance policies, for a savings of almost $400/yr over what the old company wanted to charge me.  This company's customer service is worse, but the savings is worth it.

Walked to the library on Sunday to return several items before they went overdue, even though it was raining.  Will walk there again today or tomorrow, when the items I requested come in.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11307 on: May 22, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »
Started doing the allergy shots after seeing an allergist.  They're $10 per shot, and it's 25 shots.  But once it's done it should save me a ton of $$ on allergy medicine.  And make life generally more pleasant.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11308 on: May 22, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
Made some adjustments to our car insurance policy & saved $86/year.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11309 on: May 22, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »
Cancelled HBO Now before my free trial month was up.  Caught up on Game of Thrones and Veep over during the free trial.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11310 on: May 22, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
Went to my workplace talent show tonight. We took canned food as a donation. Enjoyed ourselves immensely & got free ice cream for our 3 year old, plus free duck eggs from a co-worker for spouse and me.

Signed up for 50% off teacher discount for both of us tonight. 2 gigs of data plus unlimited talk and text for $20 per month total. Yes, please!

Walked to the grocery store and scored 50 cent fresh pineapple tonight. We bought 8 for $4, plus got free exercise and carried them home in our backpacks.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11311 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
I finished reading an awesome library book, Tiffany Haddish’s autobiography, The Last Black Unicorn.  She is so funny and so filthy.  Inspiring story too.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11312 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:26 PM »
Got a scratch-n-dent basic dryer at Best Buy, for over $200 off the sale price.  Used gift cards that I bought at discount. Drove it home myself to save on delivery (added bonus,  was forced to clean the back of our van). Will install ourselves. 

While changing the door side, I hammered out the ding and it looks good as new!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11313 on: May 22, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
I've been trying to chip away at our grocery budget - DW, who is frugal but not not mustachian, normally controls it.  Discovered today that the Instant Breakfast we mix up (with half-and-half) 2x a day for my underweight, finicky son can be purchased more cheaply online if purchased in bulk from Walmart rather than the local Target, or grocery store (ugh) when Target is out of stock or DW forgets to pick it up there.

Savings $1.50/week, $75/year.  Divide it by 4% and it's close to $2k, plus the additional couple hundreds of bucks saved until we FIRE. 

Yeah, it might not end up being quite that much (eventually we won't need to purchase it), but it's still fun as a thought experiment.  The work to slash the food budget continues. 

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11314 on: May 22, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
Started doing the allergy shots after seeing an allergist.  They're $10 per shot, and it's 25 shots.  But once it's done it should save me a ton of $$ on allergy medicine.  And make life generally more pleasant.

Allergy shots are priceless. They changed my life.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11315 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:35 AM »

Interesting to hear.

DH has allergy for birch pollen and some other pollen, as well as for dogs. He is taking allergy pills and nose spray the whole spring and summer. But he thinks it is not worth the hassle to take the shots. From what we have discovered the shots need to be taken every 3 or 4 weeks or so, consequently for a year. And if you fail to take it, it could make your allergy worse. DH thinks he can tackle his allergy with his current meds.

But now I have also become allergic to birch pollen. So I can investigate for myself if I want another alternative. I will try to read up on the matter.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11316 on: May 23, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
Assembled, leveled and felted my pool table myself. Saved $460, and it's actually tighter and more level than the pros have done previously.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #11317 on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »

Interesting to hear.

DH has allergy for birch pollen and some other pollen, as well as for dogs. He is taking allergy pills and nose spray the whole spring and summer. But he thinks it is not worth the hassle to take the shots. From what we have discovered the shots need to be taken every 3 or 4 weeks or so, consequently for a year. And if you fail to take it, it could make your allergy worse. DH thinks he can tackle his allergy with his current meds.

But now I have also become allergic to birch pollen. So I can investigate for myself if I want another alternative. I will try to read up on the matter.

@Linda_Norway -- I also have a birch pollen allergy.  Some people (I'm one of the "lucky" ones) with birch allergy go on to develop allergies to a specific group of foods.  (Google "pollen food syndrome", or "oral allergy syndrome"). Hopefully that does not happen to you and your DH!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11318 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »

Interesting to hear.

I just started the shots and it's once a week for 25 weeks.  Some people go twice a week in which case it's only 12.5 weeks.  They told me if I missed a week that's fine, just don't miss more than 2 in a row.  If you have things like vacations, they can work around that.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11319 on: May 23, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
Count me in with the allergy crowd.  Pollen, pet dander and some foods.  Stopped receiving shots at age 12, however, when I had an adverse effect.

Last weekend:
Did several mountains of laundry, and ensured the washer and dishwasher had full loads only before running the machines.

DH installed the window AC unit per my request, but I've kept the windows open for a cross breeze whenever possible.

To avoid food waste, I'm utilizing leftovers.

As usual, received 3 months worth of 3 RX via mail to save money and avoid the hassle of standing in line at the pharmacy.

Found 2 greeting cards purchased who knows how long ago when clearing out my home office desk.  This will save me from buying duplicates for upcoming birthdays.

Similar to Arbitrage, I'm also looking at ways to shave $$ off our grocery/HBA bill.  My goal has been $300/month, and I've hit that only once so far this year.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11320 on: May 23, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
Ok....my savings today revolve around gasoline.  I added 3 friends to my Shell Fuel Rewards circle, so I'll get 75 cents off a gallon for that.  This week, stop and shop has 2X gift card points for gas, so I bought a $500 master card with my new BBVA card that I need to hit $1500 in spending to get $100 bonus.  With other points I've already got and one more gift card to buy on the way home, I'll pick up 20 gallons of gas for 38 cents (not a gallon....total).  How do I pay for the gas, you ask?  Why, with a shell gift card that I bought at stop and shop using one of those master card gift cards.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11321 on: May 23, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
I locked in on my home oil price for the next heating season a couple of weeks ago at $2.899 a gallon. I just checked the price again today to see what it is and it went up to $2.999 a gallon. So in a way I saved $70. We use around 700 gallons a year.

Any of you who heat with oil check out fixed prices before the go thru the roof!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11322 on: May 23, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
I locked in on my home oil price for the next heating season a couple of weeks ago at $2.899 a gallon. I just checked the price again today to see what it is and it went up to $2.999 a gallon. So in a way I saved $70. We use around 700 gallons a year.

Any of you who heat with oil check out fixed prices before the go thru the roof!

I called my oil company and they haven't released the pricing yet, but they said it should be this week. I plan on calling them tomorrow. We paid $2.79 i think for our last delivery a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping for a $2.89-$2.99 price range. We only use 450 gallons a year though.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11323 on: May 23, 2018, 04:06:29 PM »
I paid $2.299 last season fixed price. It has gone up a lot. However, I have a list that goes back quite a few years and at one time it was up to $3.799 a gallon.
Hiss, BOO!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11324 on: May 23, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »

I save carrot greens in a ziplock bag in the freezer along with onion ends, carrot peelings. When the bag is full, I saute in oil, add water and beef or chicken bones, then simmer for a few hours for stock.

Not a recipe, but, a neighbor made pesto out of carrot tops and gave us a few jars.  Not too shabby.  :)

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11325 on: May 24, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
I paid $2.299 last season fixed price. It has gone up a lot. However, I have a list that goes back quite a few years and at one time it was up to $3.799 a gallon.
Hiss, BOO!

I called today and it’s 2.89 a gallon for cash, 2.94 for credit.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11326 on: May 24, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I was going to make a big online payment for something, but then it turned out to have a $20 fee for online payment (!) and you can't combine multiple payments into one (e.g. paying 3 months at once) so it really adds up over time. I thought, hmm, if I use my 2% cash back card I would get $14.20 back so it's not THAT bad. But I decided to save the difference and walk to the post office. Savings: $5.80 minus the cost of a stamp.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11327 on: May 24, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
Bought a gift card and for this we received a 10% coupon for the grocery store.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11328 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:58 PM »
We're doing demo on our next flip project. Yesterday and today, I worked on removing the hideously ugly and filthy carpet from the stairs. Two types of pad, tack strip with nails every 4", at least two different kinds of staples, and nails on the end of each step for good measure. If I had a dollar for every sharp pointy object I removed, I could take a really nice vacation... just kidding!

Oh, and one more thing...I got my hearing tested at Costco today and I passed!  The exams are no charge for members, woo-hoo! DH got hearing aids at the end of last year and he was sure I needed them, too. Nope!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11329 on: May 25, 2018, 03:41:54 AM »
Went to work on foot. I hope to remember to pick spruce ends to make syrup from.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11330 on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:57 AM »
When walking to work I wanted to pick up a coffee to go at the supermarket, however the coffee machine was cleaning itself so instead of waiting for it to finish I turned around and walked my way to work without coffee.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #11331 on: May 25, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Ate free (breakfast) bagels from work for dinner. Skipped going out to a movie for NBA playoffs instead.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #11332 on: May 25, 2018, 08:12:10 AM »
-Bought a $25 travel voucher for $20 for an upcoming flight
-Chased down two expenses reports that hadn't been approved yet. Got them approved & should be getting $1700 or so back in the next day or so. Just in time for yet another international trip :-)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11333 on: May 26, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »
Biked an errand that was under 2 miles round-trip

Went to a BBQ festival with free tickets my roommate got at work! Live music, free food, even a free VIP pass so I got a free beer. It was only a few blocks away, so we walked and avoided the pricey and limited parking. Also got to visit with some former coworkers we ran into.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #11334 on: May 26, 2018, 06:42:18 PM »
Made my own salt scrub for the shower... maybe a few bucks compared to $35 for the one I’m copying. Also stayed home ALL DAY, which I love to do.

Paused my gym membership for a month (maybe two) while my shoulder (hopefully!) heals up, so saving that money. It was self-diagnosed that I needed to take time off, but they told me if I got a note from a doctor or physio, they’d waive the $15 pause fee, so I took the time and made the necessary calls to get the note and emailed it in.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11335 on: May 26, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
Made a quick trip to the grocery store and forgot my reusable bags. Stubbornly carried five heavy, unwieldy items to the car with no bag rather than paying 10¢.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11336 on: May 27, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
Knew we were going to want to see Deadpool 2 this weekend, so I redeemed Swagbucks for a Regal Cinema giftcard which almost completely covered the matinee price tickets.  Combined with a trip to Jo-Ann's to pick up some supplies I need, to save gas.  Also, bought only the things I needed from Jo-Ann.  That's always a win when I go in a craft store ;P

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11337 on: May 27, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »
This is something my husband did, but I was proud of him!

I was mowing the lawn today and the lawn mower was giving me problems. The motor was stuttery sounding and at one point when I had to take a break it wouldn't start back up. Husband and I looked at YouTube and found some great how-to videos on common lawnmower problems. He then went outside, took the mower apart, cleaned up the fuel lines and air filter, put it back together and put gas back in, and then it started up instantly with no issues. Probably saved us $80 (and waiting to get it back!), if we had taken it to a professional lawnmower repair place. He's also super happy because he got to learn something new.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11338 on: May 27, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
I got motivated by another post on this forum, and listed two items on FB marketplace. One generated interest immediately, so I met the buyer (in a public place) within 2 hours of posting it. Twenty dollars profit and a piece of junk out from under my bed where it was literally just gathering dust.

While I was out I returned an unneeded item to Target. With the refund, bag credit, and a $2 gift code from Shopkick, I spent exactly $0.32 on needed items.

Then I went to Firehouse Subs and got a free medium meatball sub with my birthday reward, and *nothing else*. No chips, no cookie, no drink. It was so filling I only ate half. Two free meals! Dessert was a piece of chocolate leftover from a previous birthday meal.

As I put groceries away, my roommate mentioned a hankering for lemonade. I pulled out the bottle of lemon juice and made a big pitcher for us to enjoy, all made with items we had on hand instead of running down to the corner store.

A big thing was finally making a proactive SPENDING PLAN, not just retroactively tracking my spending. Here's to a frugal June.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11339 on: May 27, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »
Kroger apparently really wants people to use clicklist (grocery pickup), so they sent a coupon out for $20 off a $50 order.  I'll take 40% off my groceries any day!  I stacked that with some other coupons and picked up $60 worth of groceries for $26 bucks!  Groceries that I'll actually use, of course. Three different kinds of beans, lots of brown rice, and a few other things.  I'll have to keep my eye out for more coupons like that.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11340 on: May 28, 2018, 02:50:31 AM »
We have Peapod here in CT and sometimes I get a postcard in the mail from them and they offer $25 off groceries and free delivery to my house. I only got the $25 off one time that I can remember but have gotten free delivery many times. However, I give the delivery guy a tip so not quite FREE! But I would have given the guy a tip regardless of free delivery.

I have a postcard here that expired that was $5 of $100 spent in groceries but no free delivery. Delivery is around $6.95. Well worth it.

My only gripe is that one time I wanted two sweet potatoes for baking...like baked potatoes. The selected 2 potatoes that were the size of eggs! I could have called PP and they would have taken it off my bill but I didn't. They are very good like that and take coupons too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11341 on: May 28, 2018, 06:28:33 AM »
This is something my husband did, but I was proud of him!

I was mowing the lawn today and the lawn mower was giving me problems. The motor was stuttery sounding and at one point when I had to take a break it wouldn't start back up. Husband and I looked at YouTube and found some great how-to videos on common lawnmower problems. He then went outside, took the mower apart, cleaned up the fuel lines and air filter, put it back together and put gas back in, and then it started up instantly with no issues. Probably saved us $80 (and waiting to get it back!), if we had taken it to a professional lawnmower repair place. He's also super happy because he got to learn something new.

Well done.

It is indeed a good investment doing this. Youtube is your friend and you learn new skills.

bucketsofrain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11342 on: May 28, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
I work at a restaurant/cafe/store and have been getting tons of free food: a leftover breakfast pie with eggs and sausage, a free bottle of ketchup someone sent us, a few leftover avocado halves, scallion ends that I will regrow in water on a windowsill, a jar of artichoke hearts. All these things were destined for the trash. A customer also brought me three homemade hot sauces since we've had lots of talks about fermentation experiments. My grocery bill this month is super low!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11343 on: May 28, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Drank coffee at home rather than getting one at the supermarket.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11344 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
Drank coffee at home rather than getting one at the supermarket.

My s/o is so frugal I'm almost ashamed of it. Instead of going to AH at the train station where you pay for coffee, he goes to the regular AH where coffee is free and buys something like 1 apple or 1 banana. Fruit is sold by weight, so it's not more expensive to buy a single banana or apple every time. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11345 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
I actually spent some money. I bought a bunch of food, mostly veggies. I am going to cook and dry it to make dried food to take along on back pack trips. The idea is: add boiling water, stirr, keep warm for 15 minutes and eat.
The drie food that we used to buy costs now twice as much or more than it did a few years ago. So since 2 years I make my own dried food.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11346 on: May 28, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »
I went to a free arts festival, and left my wallet in the car. I wore a hat and took a bottle of water, and had a snack before we left. I spend zero dollars, not even on parking. I saw a lot of art and didn't feel the pull to buy anything badly enough to walk back the several blocks to get my wallet. Came home and ate a leftover sandwich and made a lime soda out of a lime that was about to turn and the last of the plain soda water.

In the past, I would've look at it as an excuse to spend--"they're artists!" It probably comes from a poor childhood, where special occasions like field trips were the only time we got pocket money to spend as we wished. Now I provide my own pocket money, and it can be a special occasion any time I want, so I've had to work through my early money programming.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11347 on: May 28, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
Was browsing the Free Events website for Denver:

https://www.denver.org/events/free-denver-events/

Saw that there was a new miniature gold set up at DIA, took my family plus a friend for a few hours of fun.  Only had to pay for parking. 

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11348 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:37 PM »
Free leftover sandwiches at work yesterday. Took one home to eat for dinner.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11349 on: May 29, 2018, 07:01:05 AM »
Got up early to bake a cake instead of buying dessert for a meeting.