Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020587 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5850 on: March 15, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
* Skipped the drive-through breakfast; made fresh coffee and a yogurt parfait with homemade yogurt, rolled oats and blackberries.

* Insulated a light switch with a purpose-cut styrofoam tray left over from some groceries.

* Shipped a package using free stamps I was given by a friend from her late mom's collection in thanks for helping clean out her house.

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5851 on: March 15, 2016, 02:44:26 PM »
I went to the grocery store to get the water and the orange juice we won.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5852 on: March 15, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
* Insulated a light switch with a purpose-cut styrofoam tray left over from some groceries.

Why did I never consider doing this?  Such a smart idea.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5853 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »

Wait, what is "insulating a lightswitch"? Is this an energy efficiency thing or an arc-flash, DIY safety type thing?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5854 on: March 15, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
Wait, what is "insulating a lightswitch"? Is this an energy efficiency thing or an arc-flash, DIY safety type thing?

There can be a draft through the switchplates on your outer walls, especially if your house is 100 years old like mine is.  These provide a small thermal barrier.  Surprisingly effective for what they are.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Foam-Electrical-Outlet-and-Wall-Plate-Insulating-Kit-OS12H/100184290

AngryOcean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5855 on: March 15, 2016, 03:48:35 PM »
Last week we fought to Lower our assessed value on our house to lower the amount of property tax we will pay for years to come!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5856 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:42 PM »

There can be a draft through the switchplates on your outer walls, especially if your house is 100 years old like mine is.  These provide a small thermal barrier.  Surprisingly effective for what they are.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Foam-Electrical-Outlet-and-Wall-Plate-Insulating-Kit-OS12H/100184290

My house is 97 years old. Glad you mentioned this!

trailhugger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5857 on: March 15, 2016, 09:21:22 PM »
Weekly trip for groceries with a $68 bill, saved $42 by taking advantage of store specials. Buy 2, get 3 free coffee, woot, woot!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5858 on: March 16, 2016, 08:45:22 AM »
Weekly trip for groceries with a $68 bill, saved $42 by taking advantage of store specials. Buy 2, get 3 free coffee, woot, woot!
Nice!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5859 on: March 16, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
Finally have something to contribute again!

Today was my employer's lunch and learn with lunch provided. They usually stick leftovers in the lounge, so I'll probably scoot down there to see if I can grab tomorrow's lunch, as well.

Sadly, the information provided was ... not so helpful. :(

CourtneyT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5860 on: March 16, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »
After reading MMM's articles, I cancelled the $8/month phone insurance. I also plan to do homemade Christmas gifts this coming December. Also had a talk with my hubby that he can have more food budget for grocery store every month instead of one dollar here and there for unhealthy snacks (totally $50 a month).

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5861 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
Took mega-fast navy shower instead of the hot bath I planned, and thus got to work on time.
Found un-advertised pork sale at the supermarket... got lardons, cutlets, and stew out of it.
Gave frequent flyer lounge passes to colleague in exchange for greater net happiness.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5862 on: March 16, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Y'all, I've been doing so good.

Yesterday was a frustrating and expensive day finalizing the death of my car. I had to rent a car and drive two hours south to deal with all of that, but I packed food and went for a hike at the state park after I got the stressful stuff done. While I had the rental car I ran as many errands as possible and did some stocking up on groceries, especially heavy or fragile things.  I spent all of my grocery budget through April 20th!  But that's ok, I'll just buy freah things and average out the same by May. I am very proud of myself for sticking to my lists. I could have used the opportunity to stock up as an excuse to buy indiscriminately.  I paused in front of a colorful Easter candy display but then I kept moving. 

I did not drink a soda. I did not buy fast food.

Tomorrow I leave for a four day conference. I got a scholarship to cover the dues. I am carpooling and sharing a hotel room. Tonight I packed food for the road and a couple meals. During my stock up yesterday I picked up a bottle of Evan Williams.  I'll be stingy at the bar and enjoy the house party.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5863 on: March 17, 2016, 04:12:19 AM »
Sold my old IPad 1 ( yes the first one) for $40, I was going to recycle it so I'm happy for the $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5864 on: March 17, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
Sold my old IPad 1 ( yes the first one) for $40, I was going to recycle it so I'm happy for the $40.

ooh! i wonder if i should try to sell my smashed non working iPad mini? i just don't know how to wipe the data that might still be on it.

I did the ol take home leftovers from a work meeting yesterday, fed both husband and me, i get to do the same today too, fab!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5865 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:57 AM »
I was grocery shopping with the supermarket's app and noticed they had a digital coupon for free yogurt. It wasn't very good yogurt, but hey, free! Also got overcharged by $1 per pound on the corned beef I bought so got the difference refunded. It's simmering away in the Instant Pot right now.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5866 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:34 AM »
I've declared today, "Questionable Leftovers Day."

Lunch is a chickenless chicken gyro (because SOMEBODY ate all the gyro chicken minus the pita bread, romaine, feta and tzatziki) so that's what I have. Also some ground beef with corn, black beans and taco seasoning in it left over from taco rice bowls the other day. The most questionable thing is a tiny bit of leftover chili. It may be an entire week old, not sure. Eh, I'll survive ;)

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5867 on: March 18, 2016, 05:56:08 AM »
Was together enough to get stock made from a chicken that was dinner earlier in the week. That plus the bits of meat I picked rom the bone once the stock was done and raiding the fridge for random leftovers and any veggies that were about to turn made a decent soup.

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #5868 on: March 18, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
We planned a June trip to Portalnd from Atlanta requiring the purchase of a few airline tickets.  We had a few hiccups the past few months in the budget due to some dental work and a car issue.  The family decided to cancel the Portland trip and now we are driving Charleston, SC instead for a long weekend.  We will be using hotel points and in the end will probably save around $1,500.

Looking forward to some quality time with my family no matter the location. 

mashrach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5869 on: March 18, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
Switched cell phone providers which will save me around $25 per month. I checked out some of the even less expensive providers like Ting but my old phone doesn't work on their network.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5870 on: March 18, 2016, 10:50:56 AM »
Did our taxes.

We are owed over 5k.

How fast we we sending that in? So fast.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5871 on: March 18, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »
Enjoyed a free museum and another free exhibit today with visiting family. I treated them to afternoon tea today at a place across the street from the museum that is relatively reasonable as things in the tourist zone go (£12 per person instead of £18 or more). We scheduled tea for the earliest available slot and skipped lunch in anticipation, which worked well. It was cute enough to photograph for Facebook, and we got enough food that we didn't miss lunch. My mother has been treating me to lots of other meals plus a guided river tour on a punt, so I was happy to be able to treat her to something while she's visiting.

I managed to mess up my online banking with an overdraft today--the funds were in savings instead of checking. It was within the limits of the small overdraft line of credit I have, and I transferred money to cover it as soon as I saw the email from the bank. I'm going to count quick damage control as savings in this case; hopefully the total interest charge will end up being 2 cents or less.

CharlesSowAV

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5872 on: March 19, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »
A few things today:

1) Had a garage sale and made $200 with stuff we needed to get out of the garage.

2) Browsed other garage sales in the neighborhood. One lady told my kids "anything you want is free!" and they got some goggles they've been wanting.

3) Thought I'd take the kids to the movies tonight to give my husband some peace. However, after tickets and popcorn, realized I don't want to pay $35, so we didn't go (and the kids are none the wiser).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5873 on: March 19, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Used a cardpool referral to get a $10 starbucks card for $4. Will be nice for our next roadtrip. Starbucks always has the nicest restrooms... =)

Used a credit through best buy from DH purchasing a work computer to buy a new Chromecast (ours was from the beta and the sound leveling breaks constantly) for $5 instead of $35, and free shipping.

Ate some broccoli that was looking sad in the back of the fridge. Luckily, pan roasting is very forgiving, and it was still delicious. Going to use some slightly older milk tomorrow to make yogurt in my InstantPot.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5874 on: March 19, 2016, 07:30:59 PM »
Needed/wanted some things for the house, and so my sister and I made an afternoon of it and went to 3 thrift stores. We had a great time, I found 3 of the 4 things on my list at approximately 1/6 of the cost of new, and I stumbled upon a print by an artist who illustrates my daughter's favourite books (laminated, for 10$, in great condition...). Done and done.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #5875 on: March 19, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Used up the bits of leftover veggies for dinner last night. Also only had linner (combined late lunch/early dinner) and when I was hungry in the evening ate an apple and some toast.

Littlekind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5876 on: March 19, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
Yesterday was a friend's 30th birthday and we were invited to dinner with a bunch of people. Another frugal couple brought their kids to our house, we shared a sitter, and ate a homemade pizza with the kids before going out to "dinner." We bought birthday boy a few beers and came out way ahead vs a usual night on the town.

Today I finally dug out the case of cloth diapers we'd used when my son was an infant and got them ready for our daughter, who is already 9 months old. I have wasted way too much on disposable diapers, especially when the cloth diapers have been here all along.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:10:02 PM by Littlekind »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5877 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:57 PM »
Had to go to CVS to pick up a prescription that was more expensive than I expected. Retaliated by spending $8 on $22 worth of items via ExtraCare Bucks and coupons. Turns out if you download the CVS app, you get $5 ExtraCare Bucks.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5878 on: March 20, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
SirB figured out how to clean out my Boar Bristle Brush. I had tried out a co-wash option that ended up being far too waxy, and so there was just awful build up on the brush. I was seriously considering replacing it, but he took a fork and some Dr. Bronner's to it and it looks like new again.

One area I refused to save money: I did NOT use up the rest of that conditioner. I gave it away on my neighborhood's Buy Nothing Group. Along with some skin care products that didn't work out.

I suppose technically we saved money by washing our own cars (vs a car wash) and detailed the insides yesterday, but we always do that, so it only kinda counts =P

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5879 on: March 20, 2016, 05:56:46 PM »

One area I refused to save money: I did NOT use up the rest of that conditioner. I gave it away on my neighborhood's Buy Nothing Group. Along with some skin care products that didn't work out.

I use conditioner that i doesn't end up working for my hair, to shave my legs, works great.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5880 on: March 21, 2016, 07:26:40 AM »
I realised I had extra interest in a cash savings account and I realised my 0% credit card account was less than I thought. Easy way to realise I have £300 more than I had yesterday.:)

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5881 on: March 21, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
I booked a cheaper (but still nice) hotel room for an upcoming trip instead of the fancy schmancy one I was considering.  Also, this trip is tagged on to the end of a business trip, so my transportation to and from will be covered by work.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5882 on: March 21, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
Battled costco once more. Eggs, sour cream, rice, and salsa are all SO much cheaper it would be insane to go anywhere else. Also got gas while I was there.

Have been wanting a kettle, but my frugality and minimalism just weren't sure. So I posted on Buy Nothing Group. Within 2 minutes I had a kettle offer, and picked it up on the way to costco. They had recently bought an electric kettle and wanted the burner space. My plan is thus: if I like it, perfect, I have a kettle. If not, I will paid it with some cute mugs and gift it to a friend for her bridal shower, as it's in her 'color scheme' and there is a similar kettle on her registry. I'm trying to do a good gift while keeping it cheap, since I have to drive far to the shower and the wedding (3 hrs for shower, 6 hours for wedding).

DH traded some light engineering support for a family member and got us a nice whiskey as a thank you. Yum.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5883 on: March 21, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Since I got home from work on Friday, the only money I've spent is quarters for doing laundry ($5.75 for two washer loads and one dryer load - I hung dry most of my shirts and two pairs of jeans).

I actually found $13 worth of quarters in the laundry room (sitting in the bucket of the change machine), which would make it a net gain, but I didn't feel right taking it so I just stacked it up on top of the machine in the hopes that whoever left it there would remember and come back for it. Probably someone who is a bigger asshole than me took it after I left, but $13 isn't worth feeling bad about myself... I'm still battling a guilty conscience for accidentally walking out on a $17 bar bill in January even though I tried to pay them back multiple times and they won't take my money. :-/

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #5884 on: March 21, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »
Catching up, lots of good savings going on. I don't have the quotes, but a few things caught my eye:

re: wood stove + electric heat

We also installed a wood stove this past year, and the savings on our electric heat have been tremendous! Even including the high price of wood that I bought in a bit of a panic, the fancy stove is paying for itself in one year. I'm going to buy green wood soon for 2017-18, and dry wood for 2016-17, and from then on, only green wood.

/blog, I guess :-)
re: wiper blades

Replaced DW's wiper blades today for $5 each from Costco. Big PITA, but the dealer probably would have charged us $100, and they are about 10 miles away. I will look for the OEM blades online to have as spares, because I think they will be much easier to install.

re: ham

I've been buying large cuts of meat on sale and searching for ____ leftover recipes. It has worked out really well, both cost-wise and family-wise. Tonight was a frittata with leftover ham, tomorrow is mac and cheese with leftover ham. The ham was $8 for 10 lbs., and we still have the bone for split pea soup, and about 2 lbs. of meat left for lunches or snacks.

I've taken over the grocery shopping, except for Costco :-( . The week, I got the $8 ham and a $10, 10 lb. pork shoulder. Thomas’ English muffins were buy 1 get 2 free, and then I saw the price of one pack is $4.39! I looked at the store brand, which was 2/$3, and decided to give Thomas’ the finger. We don’t normally eat English muffins, but I would buy them as a treat if they were on sale for a decent value. Holy crap, triple the price! I quickly googled how to make them, and there's nothing special about it, it's just pure brand premium. I had pizza dough on the list, and there was only one left, so I decided to make my own dough next time instead. Look easy enough, and should be 1/3 of the cost.

Last week was a $15 whole boneless pork loin. I put 5 lbs. in the freezer, and made meals all week with 5 lbs. The carnitas I made were incredible -- I used some concentrated chicken stock made from a $3 manager’s special whole chicken cut up, and the family was raving. Since I work at home, I ate the leftovers for lunch, and then took the remaining leftovers with me to class for dinner -- bwahahaha!

This weekend, we changed from Vonage 37-39/month to Ooma ($4-5/month, I think) plus no more phone ringing in my office!

This weekend I replaced a light switch for our bathroom lights, which were not working at all.

This weekend, I worked on landscaping with family - picked up all the branches, sticks, and twigs; filled in and seeded a 3x16’ area; reseeded bare-looking patches in the "lawn"; placed beach stones along about 40’ of border where water drips, raked leftover leaves, straightened woodpile. The prices for this type of work around here are jaw-dropping, so I'm paying my kids to do some of the work. I need it done for an event in less than 2 months, and I'm flat out myself.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5885 on: March 22, 2016, 03:15:42 PM »
DH's tIRA at vanguard got over $10k, so we switched to admiral funds. Save on fees.

Been turning the heat down to 60 overnight, and opening up the house and turning the heat off entirely if its not super crummy outside.

Cut DH's hair.

Made some more 2 ingredients cookies . Working through some coconut flakes we bought several months ago.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5886 on: March 22, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »
Made some more 2 ingredients cookies . Working through some coconut flakes we bought several months ago.

I think you must be where I heard of these cookies.  Thanks!  I made a few batches recently using up some overripe bananas that I had frozen.  I added a pinch of salt and a few nuts.  (And then ate about half the batch at once.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5887 on: March 22, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »

I think you must be where I heard of these cookies.  Thanks!  I made a few batches recently using up some overripe bananas that I had frozen.  I added a pinch of salt and a few nuts.  (And then ate about half the batch at once.)

Oh I like the pinch of salt idea! I'll have to give that a whirl next time. Totally forgot to add cinnamon this time... it's great with them.

I'm glad I'm spreading the recipe goodness. SO much easier than banana bread for leftover bananas, and probably healthier too! Way less sugar at any rate. Certainly easier.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5888 on: March 23, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »
Purchased a discounted gift card at Cardpool to pay for my brother's birthday gift. I made purchase through eBates and will get a $10 gift card for making my first purchase, and if the price drops I'll get a price adjustment through Paribus. Thank you to all you lovely folks for introducing me to these sites!

I tried a Caramelized Honey latte at Starbucks yesterday so I attempted my own syrup at home this morning. 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup honey, and 2 tbsp water heated to 300*F (or until the mixture starts to turn golden brown, for folks without a candy thermometer), then stirred in 1 cup of water. If I make it again, I may use all honey and add less water at the end for a thicker syrup, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5889 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Signed up for a lunch n learn offered by my employer on IRAs. Lunch is provided, so financial education + free lunch = win!

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5890 on: March 23, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
One of the temples of my reading glasses snapped in two. Glued it back together with epoxy, and now it's as good as new.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5891 on: March 23, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »
I filled out a short survey (5 min) to get a free ticket to see a band I really love. Score!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5892 on: March 23, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
Money is tight right now. Really, really tight. And I'm hosting Easter brunch for the extended family - 8 adults and 2 children, INCLUDING an easter egg hunt for the kids (argh).

Total budget: 20$, INCLUDING the eggs for the hunt, plus an already-owned bottle of prosecco that we were given at Christmas and whatever is in the pantry.

Plan: Easter egg hunt with coffee for the adults, and then quiches and salad and mimosas. Festive enough?

Menu:
Chocolate eggs, and a chocolate rabbit for my daughter: 5$ MAX
Quiche lorraine x2, spinach and gruyere quiche x2 (Eggs on sale 2$, leeks 1$, gruyère/cheddar 4$, pie dough made from pantry ingredients plus 1$ in butter, ham leftover from the ham I made on Tuesday from the ham that was bought on sale, and about 1 cup of milk from our ever-plentiful milk supply - maybe 50 cents worth)
Spinach salad: huge bag of costco spinach for 3$ (take out 2-3 handfulls to put in the veggie quiche), with a lemon-dijon-fresh herb dressing that's homemade and kept in the fridge in a 1L mason jar; I make a batch every 2 months or so.
Mimosas: 2$ orange juice, already-owned prosecco (12$ to buy, looking at the govt website)

Decoration: 1 dozen eggs (on sale, 2$), hard-boiled and home-dyed (onion skins=yellow, slightly-rotten red cabbage=blue, withered and gross beets = red, and then you can compost them anyway, which is what I was going to do in the first place!). Lay that out on top of planted wheatgrass (planted last weekend, in a large serving platter, should be nice and green by weekend) and you've got a lovely centerpiece for 0$ out of pocket, since the hard-boiled eggs can go right back in the fridge and be peeled and used for lunches during the following week.

Festive brunch for 10, including mimosas AND easter chocolate for kids, for 20$CAD out-of-pocket or 35$ total (including alcohol and approximate cost of pantry ingredients). Yep. Go us.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5893 on: March 23, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
Money is tight right now. Really, really tight. And I'm hosting Easter brunch for the extended family - 8 adults and 2 children, INCLUDING an easter egg hunt for the kids (argh).

Total budget: 20$, INCLUDING the eggs for the hunt, plus an already-owned bottle of prosecco that we were given at Christmas and whatever is in the pantry.

Plan: Easter egg hunt with coffee for the adults, and then quiches and salad and mimosas. Festive enough?

Menu:
Chocolate eggs, and a chocolate rabbit for my daughter: 5$ MAX
Quiche lorraine x2, spinach and gruyere quiche x2 (Eggs on sale 2$, leeks 1$, gruyère/cheddar 4$, pie dough made from pantry ingredients plus 1$ in butter, ham leftover from the ham I made on Tuesday from the ham that was bought on sale, and about 1 cup of milk from our ever-plentiful milk supply - maybe 50 cents worth)
Spinach salad: huge bag of costco spinach for 3$ (take out 2-3 handfulls to put in the veggie quiche), with a lemon-dijon-fresh herb dressing that's homemade and kept in the fridge in a 1L mason jar; I make a batch every 2 months or so.
Mimosas: 2$ orange juice, already-owned prosecco (12$ to buy, looking at the govt website)

Decoration: 1 dozen eggs (on sale, 2$), hard-boiled and home-dyed (onion skins=yellow, slightly-rotten red cabbage=blue, withered and gross beets = red, and then you can compost them anyway, which is what I was going to do in the first place!). Lay that out on top of planted wheatgrass (planted last weekend, in a large serving platter, should be nice and green by weekend) and you've got a lovely centerpiece for 0$ out of pocket, since the hard-boiled eggs can go right back in the fridge and be peeled and used for lunches during the following week.

Festive brunch for 10, including mimosas AND easter chocolate for kids, for 20$CAD out-of-pocket or 35$ total (including alcohol and approximate cost of pantry ingredients). Yep. Go us.

That's impressive!! Can you share the recipe for the lemon-Dijon-herb dressing?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5894 on: March 23, 2016, 01:35:36 PM »

Hey, there's no reason a tight budget can't mean living a good life anyway, right? :)

Lemon/dijon/herb dressing = VERY approximate:

1 cup lemon juice (bottled tends to be ok for this, surprisingly). Approximately 1-2 tbs dijon. About 1 tsp of any dried herb you particularly like (I usually use oregano, but tarragon can be excellent, as can basil). Salt + pepper to taste. About 3 cups of olive oil (if you make it in a large mason jar, that's roughly 1/4 of the jar of lemon juice, add all extras, fill with olive oil). Shake before using, store in the fridge.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5895 on: March 23, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
Homemade lunch & stuff
Free gym tonight
Realized that trying to play games with credit card offers is not for me.  I did manage to "earn" about $225 in the past couple months with credits, etc . . . but it stresses me out trying to keep track of it all.  So, I am going back to simpler ways.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #5896 on: March 23, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
The carnitas I made were incredible -- I used some concentrated chicken stock made from a $3 manager’s special whole chicken cut up, and the family was raving.

Concentrated/reduced stock, if it was good stock to start with, is an absolutely magic Turn Things Into Rich People Food ingredient.

My own small money saving thing: secretary at work told me there were leftover snacks from a reception in the fridge. Yeah -- leftover smoked arctic char, and moose sausage. Lots of it. Man, it's great to live somewhere with unusual stuff!

Also, it was super windy here today (gusting over 100 km/h), and lots of people were taking taxis to work, but I walked. It was kind of fun.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5897 on: March 23, 2016, 07:10:35 PM »

Hey, there's no reason a tight budget can't mean living a good life anyway, right? :)

1 cup lemon juice (bottled tends to be ok for this, surprisingly). Approximately 1-2 tbs dijon. About 1 tsp of any dried herb you particularly like (I usually use oregano, but tarragon can be excellent, as can basil). Salt + pepper to taste. About 3 cups of olive oil (if you make it in a large mason jar, that's roughly 1/4 of the jar of lemon juice, add all extras, fill with olive oil). Shake before using, store in the fridge.

Thank you!! I'm embarrassed to admit I use bottled lemon juice most of the time. It's just easier to keep a large bottle in the fridge.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5898 on: March 23, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »

Thank you!! I'm embarrassed to admit I use bottled lemon juice most of the time. It's just easier to keep a large bottle in the fridge.

I do too, alongside the bag of (more expensive... ) lemons. The bottles stuff is fine for most cooking and baking, but you need fresh for cocktails and for spritzing on vegetables. Bottled TOTALLY has its place.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5899 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
Purchased a like-new-but-used-price replacement for a library book my kids lost, in lieu of paying all the overdue fines and the full-price lost book replacement charge. Our library is nice.