Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020853 times)

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13600 on: January 30, 2020, 11:51:51 AM »
Not me, but my husband finally brought his lunch to work!!  I'm making tacos tonight, so hopefully that'll feel like a reward. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13601 on: February 04, 2020, 07:40:14 AM »
Elected not to order anything at the fancy restaurant for the farewell* lunch for a co-worker.  I'm sure the lunch was fine, but I bring my lunch to work as a quick post-workout meal and didn't really want to spend $30.  If my company weren't so cheap they would've paid for a meal like that.  I'm sure people thought I was a little weird, but they already think so.  For those who might think it might be taking advantage of the restaurant - it was uncrowded and I didn't partake of the free bread.

Also, I rode my bike to/from the restaurant.

*just transferring to a different department

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13602 on: February 05, 2020, 12:13:08 PM »
*Drove right by Sbux last night when taking son to sports practice

*On my third cup of fancy loose leaf Earl Grey (purchased using birthday money) at home - drinking out of my $2 thrifted Sbux mug

*Reading library copy of “Choose FI”

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13603 on: February 06, 2020, 11:34:24 PM »
Got a check for $100 from the unclaimed funds department of the treasury of a state I lived in more than 15 years ago. 

Any article I ever read about ways to find money advises checking states' lists of unclaimed funds, and I had checked before, and also I kind of thought I would never find anything there because I wouldn't lose track of money.  But back around October I read one of those articles and figured ok, why not check again, and there was my name!

It seems to have been a repayment for a payroll mistake by a long ago employer, which managed to direct-deposit itself into a supposed-to-be-closed account at a bank whose records had my address as that of a friend I lived with for a month way back when - and it took 15 years for them to give up and send the funds to the state. 
So check all the states you ever lived in - you never know.
Hey! I just found $35.00, thanks to your suggestion. I have to process the refunds by mail, so we'll see if it actually happens. Thanks!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13604 on: February 07, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
@Dicey, I did that once - got money from a former employer who couldn't "find me" to pay me back wages.  I live in the same town.  Said employer did a bankruptcy reorg into a new company, and NEW COMPANY CALLED TO TALK ABOUT HIRING ME FOR A JOB.  Um, can't find me, eh?

Today, I saved money a few ways:
1.  Did not drive to the YMCA for my body pump class.  Nevermind the lost money from not using the membership at all this week, I saved on gas!  Because, I was out of gas anyway.
2.  Scrounged a sack lunch for work.  I usually eat salad every day, but by Friday the fridge is pretty bare.  Even moreso this week because husband is traveling and I canceled the Tues produce box.  Instead of treating myself (which I sort of wanted, but also knew I'd have to work through lunch because: busy), I made a salmon salad (canned salmon) and grabbed an apple and some leftover roasted potatoes and carrots.  I don't normally eat carbs for lunch, but whatever.
3.  Turned down a last minute invite to "paint nite" with a group of ladies.  I love these things.  I suck at painting, but these are like painting for engineers because they tell you what colors to mix and how to paint them.  But...since said spouse is not home yet, and it looks like he's not gonna make it (already flight #1 delayed an hour and he only has a 1 hour layover, and there's legit NO WAY to get home tonight from Denver if he misses his connection.)  I COULD leave the kids and dog alone for 2 hours, but I won't.  The kids need ... well not much really, big one is past snuggles.  But the dog will need to be walked.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13605 on: February 07, 2020, 04:54:55 PM »
*Brought hot chocolate in a travel mug instead of buying something at the fancy cafe while the kids swim and brought a library book to read

*Used up some tuna languishing in the pantry and some stale homemade buns to make Tuna Melts for lunch

*Used some homemade chicken stock to make Reddit’s famous Chicken Tortellini Soup (originally from 356 Days of Crockpot Cooking blog, IIRC)

*Using free hockey tickets tonite that son won for doing his paper route

*Kept turning off lights all day. It’s rainy and the kids keep leaving them on

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13606 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:26 PM »
-Requested & received a refund of $457 from the DMV. They billed me twice for one of our cars, & I foolishly didn't notice until after they'd cashed the check. My error, but at least it's now rectified.
-Made lunch out of random fridge leftovers
-Taking wine to our date night. Our favorite place allows free corkage. A date night is definitely not frugal, and neither is my wine choice, but bringing it ourselves saves plenty of money.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13607 on: February 07, 2020, 11:24:46 PM »
Walking to the train instead of letting DH drive me there.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13608 on: February 10, 2020, 08:46:25 AM »
renewed my six library books because I am not done yet

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13609 on: February 10, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Money - Savings
Opened a 4% interest checking account - $120 on $3K, better than the 1% I was getting:).

Food - Garden
Enjoying the garden bounty - Celery, Swiss Chard, Dill, Basil, Tomato, Lettuce and Lemon Verbena, Garlic Chives, Parsley - Leeks are almost ready.
Planted a Chilean Guava and a Florida Cranberry Hibiscus this weekend, along with two beautiful Black Elderberry (for wine/liquor) and a Moringa tree.

More planting ahead - Banana and Orange... got some herbs still waiting to be planted today, Angelica and Oregano.
Seeding out my Salvia seed collection this week and some freebie flower seeds from my own self-seeding flowers.

Cooked ahead a bit for Mr. R's lunch and mine:) at home.

My new Moroccan Mint makes the best mint tea - awesome flavor. I'll need to take cuttings for more plants - freebies:).
My spearmint is doing well after a cutback - still my all-time favorite mint tea. Ditto - need to start cuttings for free plants.
The chocolate mint is better for culinary purposes like adding to sauteed or steamed carrots along with a nice chunk of sweet butter.

Mr. R. scored with some BOGO deals plus extra coupons for coffee, TP etc. Stuff we need and like - roughly $35 - $50 in one week. Not bad.

All in all - a good week, I'm always glad when I can add one more little perk to my finances.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13610 on: February 10, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
Not so much today, but a concerted effort over the past couple of months (and continuing for the next 1-2 months):

Decided the kids were old enough that we could embark upon a family viewing of the MCU movies, in order (at least through Endgame).  We owned two of them, so that left 20 more movies to find.  I was looking at the best way to buy them all - there are sets you can buy that would total of about $200-$250.  Thankfully, I eventually realized that one of my favorite places - the public library - had most of them waiting to be checked out for free!  I did purchase two of them for $3 each during a pre-Christmas sale, and a few of the early ones were available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video, but aside from that I've been grabbing them from the library. I did also 'rent' one that I was having a hard time grabbing before others checked it out, but the rental fee was entirely covered by credits earned through selecting slower shipping options on Amazon during the holiday season.

We're 14 movies in (spread out over 9 weeks) and having a ball.  I'd actually missed about half of them, so I'm enjoying that we can finally watch movies with the kids that everyone can get into.  It's also interesting to see the story arc develop.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13611 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »
*Made a cake for family friends who hit a big milestone today. Upped the quality of a box mix with sour cream, strong coffee, vanilla and milk instead of the usual ingredients. Made a nice buttercream frosting as well.

*Made hamburger buns to use with our Costco salmon burgers on the grill tonite

*Made hummus from dried beans done in the Instant Pot

*Keeping lights off till sunset, which is later now!

*Planning to go out tonite for a greeting card at the dollar store.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13612 on: February 10, 2020, 07:23:05 PM »
Didn't mindlessly spend money on breakfast. I had an appointment near a coffee shop that sells the most delicious breakfast burritos, and almost went to get one. Then I remembered that I had overnight oatmeal in the car to eat at work.
I had read about really simple overnight oatmeal on a post here--half milk, half oatmeal, some fruit. So easy and so delicious! Saved me about $8.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #13613 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:36 AM »
After my kids got past the age where I planned fun themed birthday parties for them, we started a tradition of going out for dinner to celebrate birthdays.  Cost always > $100 especially now that they are old enough to order a beer!  Well, that tradition just ended!  We made a fan-freakin-tastic meal at home for my son and his friend this weekend - dh did the meal and I had made a cake earlier; total ingredient cost was about $12.  Both dh and his friend raved about how good it was.  As an added bonus: Craft brews only about $1.50 each.  Plus we had a few leftovers for lunch the next day.(the food, not the brews, haha)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13614 on: February 12, 2020, 10:36:16 AM »
I made DH a candy bouquet for Friday:  Cut off the top half of a chips can, put tubes of Reese's Pieces, M &M's, a stick with 4 marshmallow hearts on it, and a chocolate long stemmed rose inside, then wrapped the lower half in leftover red tissue and ribbon from Christmas.  Total cost was $4 for the candy.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #13615 on: February 14, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
Found my DD an outfit from my closet to wear to the semi-formal.  she looked elegant

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13616 on: February 14, 2020, 10:05:11 PM »
Did not buy candy or lunch while I was out, even though it's Valentine's Day and there's chocolate everywhere! Including in my cabinet at home :)
Finally returned a gift that didn't work and exchanged it for things that I'll actually wear.
Was gifted a puzzle that I've been working on in the evenings.
Just got a book that I've been wanting from Paperbackswap.com instead of buying it full price.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13617 on: February 16, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »
I returned to Wegmans a stick of deodorant that I couldn’t get to come out of the tube (faulty dial) and a bottle of cbd oil drops from the Wegmans pharmacy that I bought in a moment of weakness.  Nothing fights my insomnia, and I should know by now that most over the counter remedies don’t work—just Benadryl.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13618 on: February 16, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »
Apart from lurking occasionally to read @marty998's posts (hi mate), I've barely been on here lately and haven't posted since September.

Recently some friends who are about to get married asked me to help them set up a budget, and I'm somewhere between envious and nostalgic about sorting all that out for the first time.

Everything has become a bit too easy - saving more than half my income without hardship, payments are streamlined, investments are chugging along...

Then I decided to get over myself. There's always more I can do, more to save, more to optimise. So here I am.

The fabric-covered buckle on a work dress broke in the washing machine on the weekend. I got out the Araldite and glued it back together, looks like new.

And I've cancelled my Stan subscription (again). I dip in and out of it, and I haven't been using it enough lately to justify the cost.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13619 on: February 16, 2020, 11:51:36 PM »
Welcome back Mustachepungoeshere! I’m a recent returnee myself!

Today I:

*Cancelled a stupid protection plan for electronics. 5 minutes of work to save $14.95/mo. Duh! What took me so long?!

*Remembered to take out chicken this morning to thaw for dinner. Made a scratch marinade. It was so good! Boiled down half of it to make a reduction for serving with the chicken. Also made fancy rice pilaf from scratch and a big salad.

*Bought my son things to hang his art work at a show next week from the hardware store instead of an art supply store. Bonus: the bolts and dowling that stick out from behind the art work actually add to the vibe of his art!

*Ordered groceries on an app and picked up at the store. Saves me heaps of time and no impulse shopping. Great for meal planning.

*Enjoyed multiple cups of home brewed tea today

*Made a plan to meet up with a friend for tea at my house to save $$$. We don’t need to meet at a fancy coffee shop.

*Neighbour surprised us with a huge homemade Black Forest cake tonite as a thank you for bringing them a meal last week when her mother was hospitalized. Bonus: I hadn’t made a dessert and had a big crowd of 10 for dinner!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13620 on: February 16, 2020, 11:59:40 PM »
Apart from lurking occasionally to read @marty998's posts (hi mate), I've barely been on here lately and haven't posted since September.

Recently some friends who are about to get married asked me to help them set up a budget, and I'm somewhere between envious and nostalgic about sorting all that out for the first time.

Everything has become a bit too easy - saving more than half my income without hardship, payments are streamlined, investments are chugging along...

Then I decided to get over myself. There's always more I can do, more to save, more to optimise. So here I am.

The fabric-covered buckle on a work dress broke in the washing machine on the weekend. I got out the Araldite and glued it back together, looks like new.

And I've cancelled my Stan subscription (again). I dip in and out of it, and I haven't been using it enough lately to justify the cost.

Hey you're back! Well done on getting rid of Stan (again). Nice little saving per month!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13621 on: February 17, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »
I called Sirius about cancelling my subscription, and ended up with half price for the next year.  I suspect that I could have gotten it down a bit more, but this will work for now.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #13622 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
Fixed a rip in my daughter's PJ's.

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #13623 on: February 17, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
I cut my own hair! As a lady with a layered haircut I feel very brave and accomplished. I figured my hair is pretty long so ... worst case scenario I could put it up in a ponytail until I could get it fixed. But no, it looks totally normal! Goodbye salons that are overpriced AND judgy for not going often enough!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13624 on: February 17, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
I cut my own hair! As a lady with a layered haircut I feel very brave and accomplished. I figured my hair is pretty long so ... worst case scenario I could put it up in a ponytail until I could get it fixed. But no, it looks totally normal! Goodbye salons that are overpriced AND judgy for not going often enough!!

Welcome to the club! Well done on the first cut. And the next one will probably be even better. :)

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13625 on: February 17, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
I spent what felt like lots of money on vacay today but tomorrow I have a couple prospects to make money instead of spending.  I wrote to a couple companies who I think owe me money or refunds in general. 

I bought some Equate brand face soap for less than $3 vice the $12 alternative when I think neither one will fix my current skin problem.  I ate a cheap lunch and ate leftovers for my dinner. 

Tomorrow I intend to donate a bag of thrift store items to a mission doing great work in my vacay spot and I aim for not going inside the  thrift store because my closet has plenty of warm and cheerful clothes. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13626 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:58 PM »
I aim for not going inside the  thrift store because my closet has plenty of warm and cheerful clothes. 
I love this! I have lots of warm and cheerful clothes too ... this is a good reminder!

Today I:

*Sent my family to watch a local sports team with free tix gratefully received from a friend.

*Read a whole library book (Bad With Money~Gaby Dunn)

*My daughter made muffins from spotty bananas

*Drank homemade limonata from fresh squeezed lemons and homemade simple
syrup

*Made chai from scratch

*Had a board games night

*Made a hodge lodge dinner from food in the deep freeze and the pantry

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #13627 on: February 18, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »
The tree removal company just showed up to remove 2 very large silver maples (junk trees, shouldn'tbe  near a building) that overhang the house and garage. I wanted to take them down myself, but Mrs.Fixer forbade it, saying that the cost of repairing the house & garage, as well as a potential trip to the ER, would far exceed the $1800. Plus, I would have spent days, if not weeks, doing the work they are getting done in 2 days.

She's probably right about this choice.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13628 on: February 18, 2020, 08:53:00 AM »
@TheFixer - just do this.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13629 on: February 18, 2020, 02:55:02 PM »
@dandarc, that's epic!

My birthday week continues.  Last Saturday:
Free Starbucks during errands
Free dessert after supper that night
Before dinner, used free movie tickets received from volunteering last fall

Today:
Free dessert after the lunch my sister paid for

Thurs:
Out for lunch with a friend then
Supper and drinks with a different group of friends

Fri:
Lunch with yet another friend

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #13630 on: February 18, 2020, 10:59:14 PM »
Not spending is saving in my book.

We are looking for a new mattress (queen size).  The old one is ~15 years old and is sagging.  We are seriously considering an adjustable bed.  Stopped into a local home show and took a look......

Nice adjustable bed frame with Simmons hybrid mattress.  Liked it, comfortable, did what we wanted it to do.  Only $2900.(Best price, discounted significantly).......  Thought about it, left and talked to a friend who was working across the isle for a few minutes.  DW talked to them again and the "best price" amazingly dropped again.  Now only $2300 if we buy today.........

The price drop actually made us less likely to buy.  If they can drop like that, how much margin to they really have?  Wound up leaving the show without buying anything.  Savings $2300?

I am open for suggestions regarding a new bed.  We still need to get one eventually and still would like an adjustable one.  Ideas?

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #13631 on: February 18, 2020, 11:53:47 PM »

We are looking for a new mattress (queen size).  The old one is ~15 years old and is sagging.  We are seriously considering an adjustable bed.  Stopped into a local home show and took a look......

Nice adjustable bed frame with Simmons hybrid mattress.  Liked it, comfortable, did what we wanted it to do.  Only $2900.(Best price, discounted significantly).......  Thought about it, left and talked to a friend who was working across the isle for a few minutes.  DW talked to them again and the "best price" amazingly dropped again.  Now only $2300 if we buy today.........

The price drop actually made us less likely to buy.  If they can drop like that, how much margin to they really have?  Wound up leaving the show without buying anything.  Savings $2300?

I am open for suggestions regarding a new bed.  We still need to get one eventually and still would like an adjustable one.  Ideas?

I think I once saw on Reddit that mattresses have some of the highest markups in all of retail.

I would maybe buy the bed frame separately?

Offer $600 for the mattress plus free delivery. Mention all their online competitors like Purple etc.

Walk away but leave them your phone number. They'll probably call back with a much better offer.

Shop around around anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #13632 on: February 19, 2020, 03:32:04 AM »

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13633 on: February 19, 2020, 04:57:14 AM »
They are not cheap but my Sleepnumber bed greatly improved my sleeping situation when I bought it in 2016.  They have stores in outlet malls, if that is helpful to discounting.  The adjustable firmness is good for me, and I wake up sweaty far less in it than my old latex mattresses I bought cheap online.  I also like that they are easy to move with if you don’t consider your current place a forever home—evidently a lot of military families use them for this reason too.  Good luck! 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13634 on: February 19, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »

DH and I went through the new buying process last fall.  The first stop was Sleep Number.  $6,000+ for a king size set?  No thank you.  We then stopped in at Furniture Row, where we've purchased other furniture in the past.  We tried out several brands, including Purple (also expensive).   We ended up buying a king size split top mattress set (DH likes to sleep with his head and feet elevated, me, not so much), sheets for it, and an adjustable base for around $3,200.  They threw in two "complimentary" pillows.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #13635 on: February 20, 2020, 07:14:01 AM »
Went to a free movie screening Wednesday night.
Free Chamber music concert last night - took the el.
Made stock from Thanksgiving turkey carcass I had in the freezer.
Put together turkey white bean chili for dinner tonight.
Doing a market research study today for $150/

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13636 on: February 20, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
We have a really comfortable matrass from Ikea. They have super cheap items that are not great, but their more expensive products are very competatively priced. We are really happy with ours and I know we paid less than €500. Every time we stay over at someone else's place we're happy to go home to our comfortable bed.

Our freezer is really old and doesn't work properly anymore, so we're going to eat all the food in it and then unplug it until we're ready to replace it in a few months. No point in having it consume energy until we're replacing if we're not really using it because the temperature isn't steady. Today we had frozen potato rosti that had been in the freezer for God knows how long.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13637 on: February 20, 2020, 04:09:10 PM »
We have a really comfortable matrass from Ikea. They have super cheap items that are not great, but their more expensive products are very competatively priced. We are really happy with ours and I know we paid less than €500. Every time we stay over at someone else's place we're happy to go home to our comfortable bed.

+1. We have the Sultan Something Something, and we find it as comfortable as the really expensive mattresses we test-drove at other stores.

On the other hand, we also can't tell the difference between a $15 and $60 bottle of wine, so maybe we're just easily satisfied peasants?

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #13638 on: February 20, 2020, 06:19:23 PM »

+1. We have the Sultan Something Something, and we find it as comfortable as the really expensive mattresses we test-drove at other stores.

On the other hand, we also can't tell the difference between a $15 and $60 bottle of wine, so maybe we're just easily satisfied peasants?

We have the Ikea Hovag firm, and love it.  For the price, we will probably replace it in a few years when it starts to get saggy and get another then same.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13639 on: February 20, 2020, 06:34:50 PM »
Decided to homeschool my own child using materials her class teacher posted (school in China is shut down due to coronavirus) rather than enrolling her in a $800+ per month private school here in Canada. We plan to use the money we save on enrichment activities like visiting the science center, art classes, visiting a pottery studio, etc.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13640 on: February 22, 2020, 10:28:55 PM »
Yesterday:
- had friends over for a homemade breakfast and a chat about their budget (they initially suggested we go out for brunch - no, we don't pay to go out for breakfast to talk about how you can save money)

- visited friends last night and took dessert of homemade plum cake made from ingredients I had on hand

Today:
- made bruschetta for breakfast with fresh basil from my plant
- cold washed my washing, which is now drying on airers in the house (it's drizzly here today)
- batch-cooked a big pot of potato soup and a pasta dish, and made chicken wraps for lunch to use up a surplus of lettuce
- cut husband's hair
- replaced the ratty drawstring in husband's goalie shirts with a spare shoelace I'd saved for just in case
- ordered a pre-loved winter coat on eBay for my nephew (as much for environmental reasons as financial - there are enough cheap kids clothes in the world)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13641 on: February 23, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »
Husband bought me a gift for my birthday. I preferred a smaller version of it (a bag), and went to make the exchange. The store would only allow me to receive the difference via a merchandise card. I considered buying other things I didn't want/need, but took the card, came home, listed it online, & sold it in less than an hour. I did have to pay $3 for the privilege of selling it, but I'm thrilled I thought ahead to not waste money on something else I didn't need, and to turn the card into cash.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13642 on: February 23, 2020, 06:34:32 PM »
I added up all my February expenses and OMGOSH.  I need to get my food expenses down, stat. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13643 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:12 PM »
Well, it occurred to me last week that I am eligible for catch up 401k contributions this year!

So I changed my withholding today.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13644 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Restocked my food stash in the office kitchen with food from home. Made myself a pb&j for breakfast with some work-provided jelly, had leftovers for lunch. Work provides some snacks, too, so I got plenty to eat for cheap! Trying very hard to not spend money on food while at work.
Spending the evening watching antenna TV and reading library books. May work on my gifted puzzle. Frugal fun!

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13645 on: February 25, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »
I brought my travel mug for the donut shop to refill, which saves like a dollar. AND I only ate the sample bite of donut. I mean, it smells good in there and one wants a donut, but really, often one just wants a bite of one. Yummy.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #13646 on: February 25, 2020, 03:14:30 PM »
Eggs were on sale last week so I stocked up.  Which means we've been finding creative non-breakfast ways to have eggs be the protein in our meals.  Today's lunch was a tasty stir-fry (with a bunch of stuff pulled from the produce drawer) over noodles, topped with a sliced boiled egg.  So good and so cheap.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13647 on: February 25, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »
Went to Target and only got the two items I needed. Used my own bag for 5 cent credit and my Ibotta app for 10 cents in earnings.

Started using cash envelopes again. Made my own with scrap paper and packing tape. I'd like to have a zipper wallet like the cool Pinterest people, but I'll see if I can source one secondhand or free first.

Got stuck in meetings and didn't get to eat lunch. Had a protein bar I stuck in my bag for just such an emergency and avoided eating out. Managed to get some leftovers from a work event that will make a great lunch tomorrow! Need to put another clearance-rack protein bar in my backpack.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13648 on: February 25, 2020, 10:17:38 PM »
Got charged full price for a medication that I have on mail order/autofill, and I thought it was probably my fault because I didn't update my insurance info in time. But I sent them a quick message just in case, and they refunded the whole thing. $45 for sending one message!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13649 on: February 25, 2020, 11:34:43 PM »
I'm visiting a client today and because I'm using public transit I'll actually get reimbursed for travel twice! I get a set amount of €6/day tax free to cover travel costs from home - work and it's paid as a set amount every month - so €6 * 214 (working days per year) / 12.

On top of that whenever I visit a customer I get reimbursed for my actual public transit costs from home to the customer's location. Which means I get paid €6 extra for every day outside of the office. It's not fraud, I did bring it up, but it's too conplicated to correct this in payroll. Sometimes when I have to get up really early I buy a coffee on the go (because making one at home means I have to get up even earlier) and I don't feel so guilty about that now. Plus most of these trips include a free lunch, free fruit and much better coffee than in my own workplace.