Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020887 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9050 on: June 09, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Picked some pretty, wild flowers to put on the table.

Went to the cheaper grocery store and bought cheapest type of bread.

Ate homemade sandwiches for lunch at work the whole week, even though I really wanted to buy something more inspirational in the cafetaria at work, as many weeks before this.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #9051 on: June 09, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
It was the last day of school, and we thought about taking our kids out to lunch. They were very indecisive about where they wanted to go. Finally, I realized that this was an outing that would bring very little value. So I said, "do you just want to eat quesadillas and watch movies this afternoon?"  They loved that idea. Everyone is happy, and I didn't spend a dime. For me, this was a good reminder to see out simple choices first.

katekat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9052 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
I went to my husband's workplace in the car before 6:40am to pick him up and take him home. I could have been in bed that whole time!

And I took him to work at 8:00pm. I could have already started relaxing and drinking!

Each time gained us at least £2. I'm not sure I can keep it up, and I'm unsure about using the car *more* for a cheaper way of life rather than *less*, but I guess, let's give this a go and see how it feels!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9053 on: June 09, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
Someone at work stole my apple from the refrigerator in the common kitchen. I loudly proclaimed while in the kitchen that I couldn't believe someone stole my slightly bruised apple. Someone that was in the kitchen said it has been happening a lot lately so I guess we have a food thief at work.

The money saving part is that this person said "just go buy one in the cafeteria". I shrugged and just went to my desk and had no fruit dessert.

It wasn't just about the money, but rather that I i am an apple snob and after getting used to organic ones I find the regular red delicious ones totally tasteless so it wouldn't be worth it.

Oh well, $0.50 saved!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9054 on: June 09, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »
Today I was invited to a lunch with my kids. I offered to bring bread and hummus and veggies. The bread was still warm from the oven when I took it over. I wrap it in parchment and tie it up with jute. Looks cool and rustic. The hummus was made from scratch (from dried beans, not canned) and did carrot and celery sticks. Very inexpensive but much appreciated by the hostess. I was kind of embarrassed when everyone was droooling over the warm bread and the non-store bought hummus!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9055 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »
Today I was invited to a lunch with my kids. I offered to bring bread and hummus and veggies. The bread was still warm from the oven when I took it over. I wrap it in parchment and tie it up with jute. Looks cool and rustic. The hummus was made from scratch (from dried beans, not canned) and did carrot and celery sticks. Very inexpensive but much appreciated by the hostess. I was kind of embarrassed when everyone was droooling over the warm bread and the non-store bought hummus!

I invited people over once and made homemade chicken salad and homemade hummus.

Everyone was like "you made your own hummus?!?!?"...implying that it was such a hard task and they were very impressed.

I kept responding that the chicken salad was actually more work than hummus, which is easily made in a food processor while the chicken salad requires a lot of chopping.

Yet they kept praising the homemade hummus as if it was such a hard task.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9056 on: June 09, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »

Everyone was like "you made your own hummus?!?!?"...implying that it was such a hard task and they were very impressed.

This makes me laugh! This is EXACTLY the reaction I got too!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9057 on: June 10, 2017, 02:51:13 AM »

This makes me laugh! This is EXACTLY the reaction I got too!

This when I told MiL my mum make her own tomato sauce (what Americans would call ketchup).

"... she knows you can buy that, right???"

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9058 on: June 10, 2017, 08:18:03 AM »
Ha ha ha, I make my own bread and that's exactly the reaction I get too!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9059 on: June 10, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
I feel that my mega chopping for the chicken salad was not properly praised.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9060 on: June 10, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »

It was awesome.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9061 on: June 10, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »

It was awesome.

Thank you! It took like 3 years but I knew someone would finally notice.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9062 on: June 10, 2017, 09:44:42 AM »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #9063 on: June 10, 2017, 11:40:27 AM »
Inspired by this thread, I think I will make hummus this afternoon from the can of chickpeas in the pantry ;) 

*  Staying in today so will not use up gas or money
*  decluttering, which continues to help simplify my life (which continually reminds me that buying things does not make me happy)
*  Use Instant Pot to make huge batch of coconut curry for the freezer for lunches next week

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9064 on: June 10, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
Ending a lease on one June 30th and want to get all of the deposit back, so we patched a hole in the drywall and replaced a broken pane of glass in the window.  The window really should be the landlord's responsibility but we decided it was worth a couple dollars and a few minutes to make sure we get the money.  $400.

Picked some tea and raspberries from a neighbors fence line (with permission).  $2-4.

Used the library for a book for book club.  $20.

Started working on Christmas gifts.  Early. yeah.  Hoping to not have to ship things.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9065 on: June 10, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »
I ate leftovers for dinner and then took a Pokemon walk without using data. Today I realised that a nearby gym has a track / unused road around the outside and that I can pick up wifi all the way around it. I already knew it had 2 Pokestops at the edges of its parking area, but today was the first time I tried going around the building. Not only that, the gym is currently surrounded by fields full of daisies. So I walked in circles around the gym I'm too cheap to join and then continued a bit along a canal to a duck pond. I saw multiple rabbits, a pheasant, two slugs, ducks, ducklings, a moorhen, trees, songbirds, and wildflowers. In the game, I hatched five eggs, picked up lots of goodies, and caught several creatures. It was really pleasant and gave me a chance to destress a bit. I don't know what I saved exactly, but I didn't spend anything.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9066 on: June 10, 2017, 08:22:54 PM »
*Picked up a huge hug of laundry soap that was on clearance - I am NOT brand loyal!

*Husband made a pot of oatmeal for all for breakfast and we topped it with yogurt bought on clearance

*Got a bunch of magazines out of the library

*Son bought himself a new guitar out of his own earnings. Love to see my kids earn money and really judge carefully if this is a good purchase. Better to make a $200 mistake now than a $2000 or $200,000 mistake later!

*Made 2 banana cakes with cream cheese icing for dessert for company tonite out of old, spotty bananas

*Got $40 off my groceries using cc points

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9067 on: June 11, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »
Went home after church to make my own coffee instead of buying coffee and maybe a pastry out in a shop or market stall. Savings between £0.99 and £3.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9068 on: June 11, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »
-Usual stuff: cut husband's hair, groomed dog ourselves, did NOT have to use a dry cleaner since I get dress shirts for husband that can be laundered at home.

-Tried a cheap beer ("simpler times" lager from trader joe's) that, while nothing to write home about, will be great for bbqs and such.

-DH used google survey credit, and I used app store credit leftover from a GC at christmas, to buy an app we can cross platform. (catan). We've been having fun playing it together, so free entertainment- nothing else we use those credits for!

-Been continual harvesting sooooo much lettuce. So we've been eating a ton of salads with lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olive (bought in bulk at costco!), and topped with canned tuna and a red wine vinegar + thyme + garlic + olive oil dressing with mustard as the emulsifier. Delicious, and pretty cheap relative to all the nutrition in there!

-Gas is a bit cheaper than it's been, so I'll try to get over and fill our truck today at costco.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #9069 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
-Been continual harvesting sooooo much lettuce. So we've been eating a ton of salads with lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olive (bought in bulk at costco!), and topped with canned tuna and a red wine vinegar + thyme + garlic + olive oil dressing with mustard as the emulsifier. Delicious, and pretty cheap relative to all the nutrition in there!

This sounds delicious BJ!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9070 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

This sounds delicious BJ!!

Thanks! It is! I highly recommend the dressing, for just about any salad but especially for fish!
-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1 clove fresh minced or crushed garlic
-~1 tsp dijon or spicy deli mustard
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

That recipe makes enough for two bigass salads. (We split a can of tuna between them). You can also do it with white wine vinegar for a more mild and sweet taste- that goes great with chicken on the salad =)

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9071 on: June 11, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »

Thanks! It is! I highly recommend the dressing, for just about any salad but especially for fish!
-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

That recipe makes enough for two bigass salads. (We split a can of tuna between them). You can also do it with white wine vinegar for a more mild and sweet taste- that goes great with chicken on the salad =)

Thank you!! I have been meaning to find a good salad dressing recipe like this. And kudos, since I too love putting tuna over my salads!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9072 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »

-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
-6 Tbsp olive oil
-1/2 tsp dried thyme

Thank you!! I have been meaning to find a good salad dressing recipe like this. And kudos, since I too love putting tuna over my salads!

Glad people can benefit! I used a salad nicoise dressing as my inspiration and just played with it until it worked, haha. I've definitely found red wine vin to be cheapest at Trader Joe's, olive oil cheapest at costco, garlic cheapest at costco, and thyme... well, I might move up to bulk buying it since I use so much now haha.

Oh! And I do a greek version too:
6 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, fresh crushed
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried dill

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9073 on: June 11, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
I was planning to go on a trip in the forest with a friend. My DH wanted to go running some other place than at home and planned to join us in the car. Planned that he could change to dry clothes after running, so he wouldn't get cold while we were still out there.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9074 on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »
I paid it forward today. Kinda.

My parents made a day trip to visit us. Normally they take us out for lunch and the routine is that they pay for the meal and I leave the tip on the table. Today, I cooked the main course and defrosted some desserts I had in the freezer and wanted the opportunity to use up because we don't often eat desserts. The entire meal for five of us didn't cost me much more than the tip at the restaurant would have done, and I saved my parents about $100.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9075 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:36 PM »
Roasting 4 chickens I picked up for 60c/lb.  Will can most of the meat, saving out enough for my meals for the week.  Making broth with the carcasses and will can that up as well.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #9076 on: June 11, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Remembered to start the beans soaking!

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #9077 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Drove straight home so I wouldn't stop at a drive-thru.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9078 on: June 11, 2017, 11:00:23 PM »
* Line-dried a load of laundry, saving about $0.25 in energy costs.
* Sold a couple of children's books on Amazon, netting $8 which will be deposited directly into an investment account.
* Prepared and froze eight servings of beet puree for the baby, the rest will be turned into cold borscht for lunch. Savings: $8 compared to buying prepared baby food.
* Also: cloth diapers, my dad curb-shopped a pet crate we can use for raising chickens, watched a show on Amazon Prime instead of paying for something new.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 11:07:55 PM by jengod »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9079 on: June 12, 2017, 02:18:20 AM »
Walked to work and will walk back.
Made lunch and ate a free banana at work.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9080 on: June 12, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »

Does your workplace have free fruit, Linda? What a great idea!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9081 on: June 12, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »

Does your workplace have free fruit, Linda? What a great idea!

Quite common here in Scandinavia. :)

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9082 on: June 12, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »
Brought leftover dal makhani (frozen from dinner a few weeks ago) to work for lunch.  Wasn't a keeper recipe, and wasn't amazing the second time around either, but it filled me up and will get me through until dinner.

Added a $1.00 bag of M&M's to my grocery order at checkout to get my total over $50 so I could use a $10 off $50 grocery coupon (a pretty sweet savings...pun intended!)

Took the kids to the library for storytime on Saturday.  It's fun for them, we get to pick out new books for the week, and doesn't cost a penny!

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9083 on: June 12, 2017, 07:54:26 PM »
Not saving money, but earning - participated in a couple of research studies at the university - made $22 for 45 minutes of 'work.'

Took leftovers home from a meeting - enough for 2-3 meals!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9084 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
Getting better at roasting veggies in the oven and searing chicken (or beef) on the stovetop.  Definitely keeps the family happy and the food costs down.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9085 on: June 13, 2017, 12:56:17 AM »
tyort1 - I've been working on perfecting my roasted veggies as well and the way I prepare them is:

Rub a cookie sheet with a generous helping of coconut oil
Put on cut up veggies and work some coconut oil into them
Douse with balsamic vinegar
Generously sprinkle with pink sea salt and cracked pepper
Sprinkle on a handful of dried rosemary

How are you preparing your veggies?

Today I:

*Made a double batch of bread pudding with a loaf that would be tossed tomorrow. Made vanilla sauce for on top.

*Dried a load of clothes on the drying rack

*Used up potatoes and carrots in a mashed potato bake

*Returned a bunch of library books before their due date

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9086 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »
Drove 45 minutes with no AC, windows up on the highway in 88 F weather.

Switched banks but accidentally used the wrong debit card so got an overdraft charge. Asked nicely for a refund and they gave it! Also, disabled the debit card from using the checking account which I did not even know was possible.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9087 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43:13 AM »
Picked a free cabinet up off the curb a few days ago, added some paint and hardware to keep the drawers closed while traveling, and it is going in my horse trailer for more functional storage. 

I also shopped around a bit for new tires for said trailer and saved $240 over equivalent tires at Tire Place A.

Once bearings are packed and trailer is cleaned, it will be good to go and I'll hope to do away with my New Trailer Envy for a few more years.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9088 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »
tyort1 - I've been working on perfecting my roasted veggies as well and the way I prepare them is:
Rub a cookie sheet with a generous helping of coconut oil
Put on cut up veggies and work some coconut oil into them
Douse with balsamic vinegar
Generously sprinkle with pink sea salt and cracked pepper
Sprinkle on a handful of dried rosemary
How are you preparing your veggies?

We're pretty close.  I wash/dry the veggies, dump them into a big bowl, douse them with olive oil, salt & pepper.  Agitate with my hands to mix everything thoroughly.  Put them on a cookie sheet (or 2) and pop them into the oven.  Between 350 and 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the veggie. 

For the chicken - the main thing I've learned it to just let the chicken sit there for a while at high heat and not turn it constantly.  This is what gets you those yummy dark brown bits.  Oh, the other think I do is cut the chicken into equally sized pieces so it cooke more evenly (and faster).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9089 on: June 13, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
* Pitted and froze two hotel pans of cherries from our weekend cherry picking outing.
* Collected zukes, rhubarb and chicken eggs.
* Made chicken stock in the electric pressure cooker using saved veggie trimmings and leftover chicken, saving $2.50.
* Saved $150 by independently ordering part (igniter) to fix broken oven and comparing repair-guy costs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:36:54 PM by jengod »

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9090 on: June 13, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »
Walked to work this morning.
Brought some leftovers home from a work event.
Made pizza at home instead of ordering it.
Decided to wait til tomorrow to buy milk at the grocery store instead of grabbing it tonight at the convenience store for twice the price.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9091 on: June 13, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
*Made a loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough

*Made a double batch of oatmeal chocolate chip monster cookies (1/4 c of dough per cookie)

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #9092 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »
changed my netflix subscription to save $5.34 a month.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #9093 on: June 13, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »
changed my netflix subscription to save $5.34 a month.

I should do that too. Thanks for the reminder.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9094 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:19 AM »
*Made a loaf of French bread and started another batch of refrigerator dough

*Made a double batch of oatmeal chocolate chip monster cookies (1/4 c of dough per cookie)

These sound yummy!

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9095 on: June 14, 2017, 04:16:04 AM »
Fri- Dd was having a slumber party in celebration of her 14th birthday.  She originally asked if we could order pizza then said she'd rather I make pizza. I realized with work and taking my mom to the doctor I wouldn't have time to make the dough.  I asked if we can do tacos instead.  Not as chromed homemade pizza but still cheaper than takeout and there were leftovers.  They went to a free baseball game.  We work through lunch on Fri., so I brought a banana to eat at my desk. 

Sat- we had  double header for all right around dinner time.  We ate leftovers before we left the house.

Sun- I cooked homemade gnocchi with leftover lamb and it came out amazing! Brought some to my parents who don't often get meals like that.  I food prepped lunches for the week.

Mon- For DD's B-day we used a Groupon for sushi. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9096 on: June 14, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »
-My mom is in town and wants to meet up for lunch. I suggested the buy one get one free offer for nurse appreciation week at chipotle today. Although this is really saving her money, not me, since she always insists on paying. *shrug*. But I also know she likes chipotle but almost never goes, so hopefully it'll be a nice treat for her. And definitely for me- I like chipotle and haven't had it in over a year!

-Usual stuff: keep harvesting lettuce from the garden for salads, keep just using straw mulch and water as the only garden inputs.

-DH met his aunt for lunch yesterday when she was headed through town. He gave her a ride to where she was leaving from and she forgot her leftovers in the car. Free pad thai dinner for me last night =P

-Husband has been riding his bike a ton. I need to catch up ;) Gas savings! Plus health.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #9097 on: June 14, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
My car breakdown cover is becoming due. Every year, I do the following:

- Check their main competitor's website to see what deal they're offering for similar cover for new customers
- Look at a cashback website, to see what money I'd be able to get as cashback on this deal
- Phone up my provider, and tell them all about it, and ask them if they can give me a better renewal price.

This always works, every year. I just did it again, and managed to get my renewal premium reduced from £103 to £65! It helps that I've been with them a long time, and not actually called them out for years. Not a bad return, just for making one phone call.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9098 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
Managed to make breakfast and tea (instead of buying it at cafe) to take with me to work even though I slept through my alarm!

Brought home leftovers from work event (second time this week!)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9099 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:59 AM »
Repaired a cheap cloth shopping bag with the sewing machine, so that the carrying handles work again.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!