Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020894 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8300 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:25 AM »
I downloaded a bunch of podcasts from Norwegian money advisors that advice every week some topic to save money on. I'll listen to it next time we're in a car for a long drive.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8301 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:21 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8302 on: February 16, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
I bought $50 worth of groceries, that only cost me $20 thanks to grocery points. I am eating down my pantry/freezer but needed some spices and ingredients to make more rounded meals. I want to eat down the food stores, but I still want flavourful meals without missing items, otherwise it feels like a punishment.

Right now I have the slow cooker going with some ground chicken, broth, spices and a ton of veggies from the freezer. I am sorta obsessed lately with these kind of veggie soups because I have so many bags of frozen veggies to use up. (I bought then on sale for 50% off)

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #8303 on: February 16, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
I made sure to get all of my fitness steps in so that I:

1. work towards getting our $1200 health care credit
2. get points towards our Amazon gift cards (usually about $800-$1000 a year)
3. get credit for another gift card for participating in a study.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8304 on: February 16, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Neglected to plan anything for lunch today. Threw a broccoli crown, a few snow peas, and some strawberries in my lunch bag. I'll grab some lettuce and a little dressing from the salad bar for $1.50 or so, rather than paying for a whole salad. Will also eat the emergency soup I keep here for just such an occasion.
Didn't bother hitting the salad bar. Just grazing on the veg and strawberries.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8305 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
I took my kiddo to open gym using our punch card. Worth the cost since he has now napped longer than the past 3 days combined. Note to self: kid needs more exercise.

After he wakes up we'll walk to the library to swap our books and have coloring time.

I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8306 on: February 16, 2017, 01:04:01 PM »
I'm trying to stretch as long as possible to our next grocery shop, but we ran out of applesauce and it's the kiddos favorite snack. I made a batch of homemade apple/pear sauce yesterday to dodge that obstacle, but I'm not sure how to get around that we ran out of coffee this morning...

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8307 on: February 16, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Received a $15 refund from iTunes.

I wanted to use an iTunes gift card (Christmas) to buy a show but I didn't realise our Apple TV was logged into my husband's iTunes account rather than mine.

So I asked iTunes to refund the purchase and they did.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8308 on: February 16, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
Cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work.

It raised a few eyebrows but I think I can get another week out of it.

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Step37!

I thought I'd get another week out of the tube.

Just emptied it. A month later!

[Sorry Step. Always see your name as Steph!]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:11:24 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8309 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »

I have two or three cut-open tubes in my bathroom right now... drives me BONKERS to waste the stuff that can't be dispensed from a tube or pump (and it's often more than a week's worth!). :)

You were right, Steph37!

Oh dear.  I always thought it really wouldn't be worth the bother, just for a couple of extra days worth.  You're making me think twice.  Thanks for posting the update!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8310 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:41 AM »

You were right, Step37!

'

Good idea. I haven't done this yet. I squeeze the toothpaste until really nothing comes out of it. It hurts my fingers every time I do this. But I have never cut the tube open. Shall try it once to see how much is left.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8311 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:24 AM »
I use mt toothbrush's handle to scrape as much toothpaste as possible out of the tube. Haven't gotten to the cutting it open phase because one tube just lasts so long at our house.

I usually fold over the flaps on the other side of the the opening in the toothpaste container and shove it up against the corner of the sink (a desk would work if your sink doesn't have corners).  It drives my wife nuts, but I usually use the container for a couple weeks until it's pretty much dry.

I would do this as long as possible before cutting it open as once it's open it dries up really quickly.  I also extend the life of my toothpaste by adding about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp baking soda to tiny drops of the paste.

Speaking of toothpaste, y'all need to drop by Walgreens by 2/19 and pick up a "free" tube (all you have to pay is tax).  As long as you're a balance rewards member, go online and clip their $3.00 e-Coupon for Colgate.  Details here: https://slickdeals.net/f/9760699-colgate-toothpaste-limit-1-free-after-coupon-at-walgreens-2-12-2-18-17.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8312 on: February 17, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
My sons Birthday is coming up so he sent me a link to some BB shoes he wanted. Searching I found them on sale, then used Ebates got 20% off and 5% back in check!

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8313 on: February 17, 2017, 10:33:13 AM »

Now that's a real emergency!  Get thee to the grocery store!!!

(Yes, I am an enabler...)

Haha! I did hold off until today and made do with green tea with my breakfast. I also didn't do a full shopping trip, just items I had on my list that were were out of... and spaghetti squash since they were on sale.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8314 on: February 17, 2017, 12:18:12 PM »
Going on a trip to the mountains for my daughter's birthday - packed snacks & made fresh hummus rather than stop and get crap along the way (which is our usual behavior). 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8315 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »
Going on a trip to the mountains for my daughter's birthday - packed snacks & made fresh hummus rather than stop and get crap along the way (which is our usual behavior).
YUM! Homemade hummus is so much better than anything you can buy!

Brought tea from home.  I had a salad for breakfast with a side of eggs because we're out of traditional breakfast foods. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8316 on: February 17, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
YUM! Homemade hummus is so much better than anything you can buy!

Brought tea from home.  I had a salad for breakfast with a side of eggs because we're out of traditional breakfast foods.

Tastier AND cheaper :)  I found the same to be true with home made yogurt, too.  Next on my list of things to try is home made "nutella", just need a good recipe for it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8317 on: February 17, 2017, 01:32:30 PM »
Adding to this today- My son needed his check cashed so I walked to the bank. Double benefit a little over 4 miles around trip and that adds to the 7 miles I put on this morning.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8318 on: February 17, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Having people over for dinner tonight to celebrate a certain forum member's birthday tomorrow.

I had already decided what I wanted to cook and when I went grocery shopping yesterday most of the ingredients were half price, so I bought what I needed for dinner plus extras for the pantry.

One friend is on an elimination diet while she gets to the bottom of some food sensitivities, so dessert ingredients were slightly more expensive, but still cheaper than going out.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8319 on: February 18, 2017, 02:10:39 AM »
*Made a loaf of bread from refrigerator dough

*Made a bean soup for lunch with chicken stock and beans I made yesterday

*Cooked a chicken in the crockpot all afternoon for healthy, tasty weekend meals

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8320 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »
Biked into the inner city instead of taking taking the metro.
10km / 6mls of "sport" and saved 5,40€.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8321 on: February 18, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
Chopped and clove some trees that have been laying under a plastic sheet in the garden, left by the previous owner of the house. Free fire wood for the stove. Therefore we can keep the central heating on 18 degrees C.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8322 on: February 18, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
Such a simple one today. I needed some more oil for my butcher block counters. Hardware store, food grade oil $22 / 500ml, mineral oil in the health department at Walmart $4.67 / 500ml. That's a no brainer.

I was going over my 2017 budget where I track every expenditure in detail and I can not believe how much I was able to cut back already just by being super aware of every dollar spent. Knowing exactly how much I am spending and on what specifically has made me rethink every purchases before I make it. I have always been frugal, but it's pretty amazing how even a frugal person can make small mindless "want" purchases that easily add up to bigger numbers.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8323 on: February 18, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »
Today for the first time I used digital coupons and close attention to sales while grocery shopping. (Before I would just buy whatever, whenever.) I saved $25 off what would otherwise have been a $125 trip. And the only thing I bought extra of "because it was on sale" was chicken, which will go in the freezer and feed me well into next month.

Also, today was such a beautiful day--61F! which is weird in February! but still beautiful--I really wanted to go out somewhere and walk around, but I couldn't decide where to go. In the end, I stayed home and took a long walk around the neighborhood. So I didn't spend money on gas--or on the drink and/or snack I would inevitably have wanted to pick up on the way home. Victory!

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8324 on: February 18, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
Today for the first time I used digital coupons and close attention to sales while grocery shopping. (Before I would just buy whatever, whenever.) I saved $25 off what would otherwise have been a $125 trip. And the only thing I bought extra of "because it was on sale" was chicken, which will go in the freezer and feed me well into next month.

Also, today was such a beautiful day--61F! which is weird in February! but still beautiful--I really wanted to go out somewhere and walk around, but I couldn't decide where to go. In the end, I stayed home and took a long walk around the neighborhood. So I didn't spend money on gas--or on the drink and/or snack I would inevitably have wanted to pick up on the way home. Victory!

That all sounds like a very good day!  Well done...

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #8325 on: February 18, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
Wednesday, made chicken broth. Today, crossed it off the grocery list. Friday, made spaghetti with jar sauce instead of ordering takeout, despite having many available excuses. Today, got DW's iPad (5 years old) fixed for free at the Apple store (she wanted to send me to the app store at first, lol). DD16 remarked that she now doesn't like the mall either. Woohoo! Tonight, having leftovers instead of cooking or takeout.

Not buying any meat until our freezer is empty of meat, and then only one pack at a time, no more stocking up.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #8326 on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
I put red pepper jelly on the shopping list last week for an appetizer I want to make next weekend. My husband picked some up and I was shocked at the price ($5.79 for a 300g jar!). Since we had time before it was needed, and he really enjoys doing this kind of stuff, he made a batch today. Red peppers were on sale, so less than $3 for all ingredients (the balance of which were on hand anyway),under two hours of total time including cleanup, and we have SIX x 300g jars of the stuff. Might be our go-to contribution for family potlucks for a while (with crackers and cream cheese, of course)! And now we can take the overpriced jar back to the store...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8327 on: February 19, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
At work, we get a bowl of fruit twice a week. This week, at Friday afternoon there were lots of apples left. I took the apples home and made an apple cake.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8328 on: February 19, 2017, 01:29:54 AM »
-made chicken wraps for dinner from leftover meat from a whole chicken cooked the day before. Will make soup stock tomorrow with the bones in instant pot

-daughter made a triple batch of banana muffins with 1/2 priced spotty bananas I bought Thursday.

-finally figured out a way to keep an accurate grocery list. I'm terrible at remembering to bring my list to the store. I've found a free app called "Buy me a pie" and it's been working great for me for around 3 months now. (No I don't work for them - it was a random find)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8329 on: February 19, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
-made chicken wraps for dinner from leftover meat from a whole chicken cooked the day before. Will make soup stock tomorrow with the bones in instant pot

-daughter made a triple batch of banana muffins with 1/2 priced spotty bananas I bought Thursday.

-finally figured out a way to keep an accurate grocery list. I'm terrible at remembering to bring my list to the store. I've found a free app called "Buy me a pie" and it's been working great for me for around 3 months now. (No I don't work for them - it was a random find)

Can you share it with your family? My husband and I found an app called Wunderlist, that can be shared between iPhone and Android and we keep the shopping list on that. I find it a bit bothersome to have to type stuff on my phone while cooking, but it is very practical when shopping.

Today we filled the car with fuel on the cheapest day at a cheap petrol station, while we were driving past anyway.

And I ate some self picked mushrooms that I found in the freezer.

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8330 on: February 19, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
We went through our book and DVD collection and pulled out anything we don't think we'll ever read/watch again, and yesterday I sent the things that were eligible in to Amazon Trade-In to get a gift card we'll use on stuff we would have bought anyway, and took the rest to Goodwill, getting a receipt for a tax write-off.

Today we listed some stuff around the house we want to get rid of (shelving units we don't use, snow tires that don't fit our current car) for sale on a Facebook yard sale group, and they've already sold. I also did my grocery run and bought dried beans instead of canned and a head of romaine instead of pre-washed bagged salad greens, and noted down some more prices for the spreadsheet I'm building up of which items are cheapest at which stores.

Of course, I also bought some new houseplants for the kitchen, and ordered new valences for the kitchen windows off Etsy. I'm justifying this to myself based on the fact that we save a lot of money by cooking most of our meals at home, so it's worth making our kitchen a pleasant place to spend time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8331 on: February 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
Decided against the fancy kiinde breastfeeding system.I had gotten a starter pack for $6 shipping only. Sold it for $15.
The system still seems cool, but spendypants and wasteful.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8332 on: February 19, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »
Completed a supermarket survey to earn 50 loyalty points.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8333 on: February 19, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
My work shoes were looking rough, so I brought them back to the store and they polished/reconditioned them.  Now they're looking quite sharp again and I don't need to replace them.

One of the great things about buying quality is that the brand stands behind them, polishing is free, and the shoes look great for years.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8334 on: February 19, 2017, 08:46:06 PM »
Linda Norway,
I haven't tried sharing the list with family members so I'm not sure! One thing I like is that it remembers my things as I type.

-made pancakes, bacon and hash browns for dinner even though I didn't want to cook.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8335 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Cooked instead of buying for a potluck.

Harvested lemons and eggs from the yard.

Collected .35 of recyclables from the roadside; the funds go to a Cub Scout recycling fundraiser.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8336 on: February 20, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
Went to a party on Sunday, brought pot luck items that I bought on sale, with coupons, using my grocery points! (so free)

At work today (it's a holiday) to catch up on stuff and work in a super peaceful environment. So I am not only savings money, I'm earning some extra money today!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8337 on: February 20, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
I'm having friends over for lunch rather than going out.  Even though I'm cooking for 4, it will still be cheaper than an inexpensive lunch out. 
Made tea at home with homemade biscotti (made using gifted dried fruit)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8338 on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
Well... it was on a spendy pants thing, but it will save us money over the year.
My dog gets a barkbox ($20 a month, which is insane- but keeping him with good toys means he doesn't chew up the house- and good toys cost a lot, it's hard to find anything that will last more than a day for under $10, and bark box toys usually last a week, a month if I mend or trim them, so it is cheaper to get the subscription than find something every month).

They offered me a discount to $17 a month if I paid the remaining 8 months now.  So I did.
That's $24 saved.

rebecca527

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8339 on: February 20, 2017, 01:43:10 PM »
Had half a red cabbage leftover from making vegetable soup, so shredded and quick-pickled it so that it'll keep a good long while in the fridge. This'll probably make its way into rice bowls for lunches next week, along with the leftover black beans that will produced by another meal in our plans for this week. (Why cook one can's worth of dry black beans in the crock pot when I can cook a whole pound of beans and freeze the rest for later?)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8340 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
*Made some more noodles for the kids to use up the spaghetti sauce in the fridge at lunch

*Made my own Nak'd bars (a health food store item - $1.79/tiny bar in Canada) In the food processor, combine 1 3/4 c. medjool dates,  1/4 c. raisins, 1 1/2 c cashews, 2 Tablespoons cocoa, 2 teaspoons vanilla- push down into parchment lined 8x8 pan and refridgerate. Sooooo good!

*Kids are using up yesterday's pancakes for snacks today - one covered his in Nutella

*Chopped up fresh veggies with our casserole for dinner (made a double batch so we could eat it again in 2 days)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8341 on: February 20, 2017, 06:34:31 PM »
My mom made us roast beef on Sunday (aka: I'm pregnant and a week overdue and not really up for going anywhere, so she brought ingredients and cooked in our house, which was AMAZING and so kind of her and so appreciated). So a) yay free Sunday meal and good company!

And then we wound up with a half-jar of mustard-heavy pan gravy from the freakin' amazing roast beef. So savings b) I fried up an onion, the mushrooms that were starting to look dubious, and the spinach that'd been in the fridge for a week, added the pan gravy, and added a smidge of cream. Made a thoroughly excellent pasta sauce, used up all the leftovers AND dubious-looking fridge veggies, and provided a fantastic dinner that was ready in less than 20 minutes. Omnomnom.

And this is a 'make the best of it' 'not really savings but at least less spending than it could have been': I had a pre-induction appointment at the hospital today. At 8am. Which was supposed to take half an hour, so we didn't bring lunch. By the time we finally got seen and were able to leave (in summary: this kid ain't in a hurry to move but he's doing fine and if he doesn't budge before then they're inducing Thursday THANK GOD GET OUT), it was past 1pm and we were both starving and an hour from home. So... we went to a Vietnamese restaurant we both adore, and for the price of ONE fast food meal we got a thoroughly amazing beef and lemongrass salad to split. AND it was something I could eat without the gluten-induced Rash Of Doom. So... Kinda like a half-priced lunch, AND it was healthy and amazingly good and pleasant and with good company? I mean, we'd have brought a lunch if the appointment was later, but a half-hour appointment at 8am didn't lead me to think it was necessary, so: next-best!

jordanread

« Reply #8342 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:22 AM »
I'm pregnant and a week overdue

I did not realize you were that close. For some reason, I was thinking around 6 months. Now I'm excited. Must find your journal.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8343 on: February 21, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
Made sauerkraut! Cabbage and salt, both crazy cheap. Now to let it sit in the basement for a few weeks.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8344 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
(in summary: this kid ain't in a hurry to move but he's doing fine and if he doesn't budge before then they're inducing Thursday THANK GOD GET OUT)

Been there, ugh... I hope the delivery goes smoothly and you have a healthy baby and quick recovery! The food all sounds divine, too. You have the best food posts.

I used BookBub to find an eBook to send my brother for his birthday for $1.99. Also got him an Amazon egift card to put towards an Instant Pot. Still money spend but the eBook let me add something more tangible onto the gift I was going to get him anyway for minimal cost.

Making a new batch of Instant Pot yogurt today. Milk has been the big loss leader at our Aldi lately ($1/gallon, holy cow) so the cost savings over store bought are pretty big right now.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8345 on: February 21, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »
I'm using up the toiletries my husband gets in his first and business class flight kits.

Had to laugh when he asked me, "Why do you smell like Old Spice?"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8346 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
Used Amazon's "BIGTHANKS" coupon code to get $8 and change off a gift card to a grocery store I like, using Amazon credit I'd bought when trying to meet a minimum credit card spend.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8347 on: February 22, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »
(in summary: this kid ain't in a hurry to move but he's doing fine and if he doesn't budge before then they're inducing Thursday THANK GOD GET OUT)

Been there, ugh... I hope the delivery goes smoothly and you have a healthy baby and quick recovery! The food all sounds divine, too. You have the best food posts.

I used BookBub to find an eBook to send my brother for his birthday for $1.99. Also got him an Amazon egift card to put towards an Instant Pot. Still money spend but the eBook let me add something more tangible onto the gift I was going to get him anyway for minimal cost.

I'm so done with this pregnancy nonsense. So done. Fortunately, it looks like I can actually BE done soon, since I'm at the hospital at 6pm tomorrow at the latest. So done. So ready to have a baby instead of hobbling with hip pain.

And thanks! Food is kind of A Thing for me and my family, and definitely also my husband, but we're on a budget right now (well, we always are, but my husband is currently unemployed and I'm on maternity leave and so income is tighter than usual) and so there's some joy to be found out of making amazing food out of next to nothing. Feels like the hight of luxury. Especially when you add candles in candlesticks on the table.

Seconding Bookbub as a resource for ebooks - so much of my reading is from there, from free to occasionally 1.99 for a book I've been wanting to read... definitely good value!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8348 on: February 22, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »
Used Amazon's "BIGTHANKS" coupon code to get $8 and change off a gift card to a grocery store I like, using Amazon credit I'd bought when trying to meet a minimum credit card spend.

cool, just used this coupon code too!
Was so annoying though trying to get things that were eligible. ahh

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8349 on: February 22, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

cool, just used this coupon code too!
Was so annoying though trying to get things that were eligible. ahh

Doesn't it just need to be $50? Am I missing a requirement?