Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020646 times)

sw1tch

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8250 on: February 09, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
I have been using ShopYourWay surprise (and earned) points for the past few months to buy a few items for myself (and wife) that need to be replaced/donated.  Of course some deals are better than others; just depends on patience and timing things correctly.

To give you an idea, here's the full list of items I've bought including tax paid:
- Jogger Sweatpants (2-pairs): $5.07 from $15.98
- Dickie's Industrial Strength socks: $0.81 from $7.99
- Thermal Underwear: $3.11 from $9.99
- 13" and 18" Craftsman tool bags : FREE from $9.99
- Schwinn Bike Pump and pair of jersey gloves: $1.03 from $10.11
- All Season floor mats: FREE from $9.99 (gift to BIL)
- More Jogger Sweatpants (2-pairs): $0.28 from $14.40
- Moisture wicking shorts (2-pairs): $1.93 from $9.56
- Underwear (3-pairs): $2.90 from $8.99
- 10mm Yoga Mat: $10.27 from $19.99
- More underwear: $1.59 from $9.49
- Hooded Sweater: $1.08 from $8.49
- Re-usable Coffee Filter: $0.47 from $5.49

Here are the details:
I actually had a $10 gift card to K-mart to start with.  If you pair the points with a gift card (that you can buy second-hand at a discount from multiple venues) you can get decent deals for stuff that you need.  Store-pickup is free as long as you have a Kmart or Sears close to you and they have the item in stock.  Some of the surprise points are specific to either store, so you have to pay attention to that.  I've gotten better at using the points to avoid having to pay as much (or free in some cases).  You also have to be patient and wait for the better surprise points offers that pop up (ie. $5 off $5 or $7 off $7).

Many of the items I wear/use when I'm biking (some were definitely needed for cold weather); I didn't have them before and using these points helped out when buying.  Also, many of my old clothes just don't fit anymore (I've actually gotten slimmer after growing my 'stache and bike commuting to work) and will need to be/ have been donated, so I'll slowly replenish some items with points deals.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8251 on: February 09, 2017, 03:58:58 PM »
Today was a good day - with work closed due to the snowstorm, I had all day to waste, and could have spent a lot more than I did.

- Baked fresh bread
 - Placed the Amazon order I've been hanging on to, using my remaining giftcard balance and rewards points to pay only $6 for a $50 order (all things I've been planning on buying for a while, no impulse buys)
 - Leftovers for lunch
 - Restrained myself from buying a movie on Amazon and watched something I already had instead

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8252 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »
Husband had been wanting this gadget called a whirly pop...basically a stovetop popcorn popper.  I was ok with owning it because we make a lot of popcorn and burn a lot too (ahem).  We were less ok with the price.  30-55.00 depending on the style/materials.  We tried a "dented" but new shipment from Amazon, but they sent the wrong one.  Returned it and had let the issue lie for a week or so. 
I went to the flea market on the hunt for a counter-height stool.  Didn't find the stool, but I found the whirly pop....8.00!

Also, used our whirly pop to make popcorn, and watched a free amazon movie, rather than renting one like we initially considered....uber cheap date night!

Also, the popcorn is delicious LOL

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8253 on: February 09, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
I left work a half hour early today so that my wife and I could go on a hilarious day date to Boost Mobile to switch our iPhones (I know, MMM blasphemy to have such an extravagant phone) over to their plan.  We drove to the Boost Mobile store closest to my work - it no longer is in business.  Drive to the next closest one and it's a super shady cell phone reseller/liquor store with bars over all the windows.  DW is like "uh, we're not going in".  Third time is the "charm", although the store itself leaves a lot to be desired and the staff are not very helpful or knowledgeable.  But I manage to get all the steps and pricing squared away and we'll soon be free of Verizon and saving an absurd amount per month.  I cringe to think about how much money we've wasted not switching sooner.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #8254 on: February 10, 2017, 12:01:31 AM »
I'm going to a wedding next month. I went to the Salvation Army and found a great dress for $11. When I went to the register, I found out that today was "50% Off Clothing" day. Score!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8255 on: February 10, 2017, 01:34:18 AM »
I will be sure to let my daughter know about your kind words:-) Just so no one thinks I'm a slave driver, she's an adult living at home:-)

Today I made a yummy chicken dinner with carrots done around the pan, baked potatoes and gravy. I haven't been successful with my whole chickens this year - they always seem tough when done in the instant pot.

This time I followed some online directions and "trussed" the chicken before baking. I also added lots of spices and salt and pepper and I pushed some butter under the breast skin. It was so delicious - definitely the best I've ever made. I baked at 325 for a few hours until the temperature probe was around 5 degrees from cooked.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8256 on: February 10, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
Complained to Walmart their 2 day shipping was taking 4 days.

It's free shipping, so they can't refund it- but they gave me 10% back on my order.

That's nice.

BCpuppy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8257 on: February 10, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Stopped taking my border collie puppy to doggie day care.  Savings: 200$/month
Now that i switched from 12 hr workdays to 8hr, he is only at home for 8 hours alone and I can run him before and after work.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8258 on: February 10, 2017, 12:16:48 PM »
Borrowed a carpet cleaner from my in-laws to clean the "new" (aka: used from my sister, and SHE got it from a thrift store, so...) rug for the baby's room.

Savings: 80$ in carpet dry-cleaning, plus no dry cleaning chemicals in the baby's room. Half-hour worth of work, max. Done.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8259 on: February 10, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
My RCN internet-only bill went up $10. Went from $34.99 for 50 down / 10 up to 44.99. It was a year ago that I switched so I'm not surprised. But they are offering 150 down now for $34.99 to new customers. Called to see what they would say. I can't downgrade b/c the next speed lower won't stream. So they offered to upgrade me to 150 for the same price.

I'm in the Boston area. Not sure I can get anything lower than 44.99 from any other carrier that will be fast enough for streaming.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8260 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »

Tl;dr : got 4 pairs of hard to find jeans for $50!!

I saw that Old Navy had Jeans on sale online and ordered a couple pairs for my husband. He is a difficult size (34 x 36 with very muscular biking thighs), so I thought I'd try ordering online since I could just return them to the store down the road; they were 19 bucks a pair. Not only is this a great price (he usually has to pay $60-80/pair with a lot of shopping around, trying on etc), but they actually fit!!

AND, they threw in a couple of pairs of jeans that fit me perfectly! (I'm six feet tall so I was also very pleased to find this, though a tiny bit creeped out that my exact size was there). So I look up how much they were online, and was disappointed to find that they were $40 (too much to pay when I don't need jeans right now). So I went to the store to take back the jeans that I hadn't paid for. Come to find out,  they were online sale only, and would I be interested in buying them at 90% off? You betcha!! For $4 a pair, I'm tucking them away and will pull them out next year when I need new jeans! Sweet!!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8261 on: February 10, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

I saw that Old Navy had Jeans on sale online and ordered a couple pairs for my husband. He is a difficult size (34 x 36 with very muscular biking thighs), so I thought I'd try ordering online since I could just return them to the store down the road; they were 19 bucks a pair. Not only is this a great price (he usually has to pay $60-80/pair with a lot of shopping around, trying on etc), but they actually fit!!

AND, they threw in a couple of pairs of jeans that fit me perfectly! (I'm six feet tall so I was also very pleased to find this, though a tiny bit creeped out that my exact size was there). So I look up how much they were online, and was disappointed to find that they were $40 (too much to pay when I don't need jeans right now). So I went to the store to take back the jeans that I hadn't paid for. Come to find out,  they were online sale only, and would I be interested in buying them at 90% off? You betcha!! For $4 a pair, I'm tucking them away and will pull them out next year when I need new jeans! Sweet!!

So they just added stuff to your order and expected you to buy it?  Or was it a mistake? 

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8262 on: February 10, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
My gym is doing stuff for heart disease this month.  They had a promotion today where if you wore red, took a picture after class, and then uploaded to social media with their hashtag, you'd get a free class (normally the classes cost something like $10-$12 - I'm not sure as I never buy extra classes above what is in my membership).  I remembered my red shirt, took the picture, and got the free class.  (I actually love this gym and don't mind giving them some free advertising, especially if I get a class out of it.)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8263 on: February 10, 2017, 11:35:31 PM »
Rode the motorcycle around instead of taking the 22 year old truck (very low mileage, looks brand new). Super cheap to putt around in the nice weather.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8264 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
Redeemed $34.xx in credit card points as a statement credit.

Was too lazy/antisocial to stop at TJs for wine last night.  Stayed sober and probably avoided other impulse purchases while there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8265 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »

It's free shipping, so they can't refund it- but they gave me 10% back on my order.

That's nice.

Bah- lost my $9 discount.

The order (the car seat part of a car seat/stroller combo) came to me damaged such that I couldn't use it.
Of course, getting a new one wasn't going to happen as it is now out of stock.

But- I spent a bit more than an hour on the phone, and got escalated 4 times insisting they price adjust a different color of the EXACT SAME THING to honor the sale. (If they had shipped it on time, they could have exchanged it before it was out of stock!).  So I got a $55 price adjustment on one that looks nearly, but not quite identical.

If that one comes damaged I'm giving up and buying something more expensive from Amazon or Target.  But I really wanted cheap on this so if the airlines ruin it I'm not too upset, because airlines exclude carseats and strollers from their liability.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #8266 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
I've been trying to get my husband to let me cut his hair forever (not to save money; I just think it would be fun). He doesn't trust me with scissors. :/

Now I'm thinking I might be able to get him to cut MY hair. I'm due for a simple cut, and I can do the layers in front myself (I've done that before), but I can't cut my hair straight in back. I'll have to ask him. Worst case scenario, I get it fixed by a professional and I'm out no more than I would have been anyway. My hair grows super fast, so if it's unfixable, I'd live.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8267 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »

So they just added stuff to your order and expected you to buy it?  Or was it a mistake?

I'm inclined to think it was a mistake. I could have easily not paid for them and I don't think anyone would have been wiser. They weren't listed on the packing slip...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8268 on: February 11, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »

I'm inclined to think it was a mistake. I could have easily not paid for them and I don't think anyone would have been wiser. They weren't listed on the packing slip...

Weird. Hope karma rewards your honesty.

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #8269 on: February 11, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »

Weird. Hope karma rewards your honesty.

$4 jeans and a clear conscience.... I think it already did!!  :-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8270 on: February 11, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »
We've needed new pillows for awhile. Went to JCPenny with $10 off $10 coupons found ones that seemed comfy marked down for the home sale from $40 (yeah right) to $10.99.

Husband and I checked out separately each pillow was less than $2.

Also went to BBW and used a coupon to claim a free mini lotion (a ridiculous $6). Didn't buy anything.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8271 on: February 11, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »
My down comforter doesn't fit in my cover so I cut a strip of the down comforter & closed the openings by sawing first , so now fits very well and the remainder down strip I rolled it into a pillow :)

And scored at thrift store: bought lagostina skillets  for 12.99

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #8272 on: February 11, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »
Enjoyed some home brewed whiskey gifted from a friend. Soo good, and tastes even better free. XS particularly enjoys it.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #8273 on: February 11, 2017, 08:14:21 PM »
Me and a friend planned to meet up last night. We were originally going to go for a curry which would probably have ended up including 2 or 3 beers as well. Estimated cost 300rmb + each (eating out at Western places isn't particularly cheap in Shanghai!)

Instead I suggested we make something at home. He is frugally inclined so we made chicken fajitas, with guacamole, tomato salsa and the fajita mix all homemade. It was delicious! Total cost for both of us, including a few beers each and free entertainment on the xBox was about 80rmb vs the 600rmb it would've cost us eating out. Score!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8274 on: February 11, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Just put a kilo of chicken for enchiladas in the slow cooker.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8275 on: February 12, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Had to go to a training on Saturday so I packed a lunch and snack so I wouldn't have to go out to eat.  Once I get the mileage reimbursement I'll be ahead by about $50 for the day.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8276 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
Did coffee hour for the church today, and they were going to throw out partially used butter, mustard, and soda.  I took them. I also packaged up the coffee hour leftovers and gave them out to various people so they wouldn't go to waste.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8277 on: February 12, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
We visited our cabin in "the mountains", during a yearly event. Went to visit the nearest town without spending a norwegian crown. Brought along our own food and drink during a ski trip. Also locally during the event we spent nothing at the townhouse where I during earlier years have bought an overly expensive waffle. We also didn't eat pizza on our way home, as we often do. So only transport cost and normal grocery money was spent this weekend.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:54:30 AM by Linda_Norway »

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #8278 on: February 13, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »
My fiancee and I have putting off getting a kitchen table for our new house for a few months. I found a nice looking one that was the size and design we had been looking for on Craigslist. It was listed for $300. I contacted the seller and offered $250 and to pick it up. They initially said they would deliver and drop the price to $275. We agreed but they changed their mind and said they would agree to the first offer due to time constraints. So we picked it up and everything went smooth. The table looks a lot nicer than the card table did in the kitchen. I would say we saved at least $150 by buying used. We also needed curtains for our living room window. My fiancee had a 30% off coupon for Kohl's. We found a two panel pack of curtains in the size and color we wanted for $30. $22ish after the discount. Less money invested if the cat destroys them.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #8279 on: February 13, 2017, 03:55:07 AM »
I'm in Massachusetts and we just had another huge snowstorm. Looked out my window and saw icicles under the eaves. The last time that happened it was from ice dams which caused leaking in the kitchen and ended up costing about $1000. Went to Home Depot and got a roof rake and some sodium chloride roof ice melt. Roof raking is much harder than snow shoveling. And it took awhile to gauge how far away to stand to get the roof tabs on the roof. Lucky I didn't break any windows.

No leaks so far but I will have to repeat the process tomorrow when it is supposed to get warmer. This summer - roof repairs that include an anti-ice dam liner.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #8280 on: February 13, 2017, 10:12:47 AM »
I was feeling the winter blahs so when I stopped at Home Depot to buy some items for a house repair, I checked out their indoor plant section. They had Christmas decorated evergreens on sale for 75% off, so I ended up buying a mini Norfolk Pine and Blue Cypress for less then $6 total. I brought them home, planted them using dirt/pots I already had and after I undecorated them, they look great and add some "life" to my house. Best part the cat won't eat them. I don't have tons of house plants but they really do make a difference in a room.  Much cheaper then my other usual winter blah methods which used to include eating out, new clothes shopping or even weekend hotel stays.

Happy to report I am still eating out free and while I have bought a few things this year, I'm under $100 spent and pretty much every day this year has been a zero spend day.

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #8281 on: February 13, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »

That's nice.

The order (the car seat part of a car seat/stroller combo) came to me damaged such that I couldn't use it.

But- I spent a bit more than an hour on the phone, and got escalated 4 times insisting they price adjust a different color of the EXACT SAME THING to honor the sale. (If they had shipped it on time, they could have exchanged it before it was out of stock!).  So I got a $55 price adjustment on one that looks nearly, but not quite identical.

If that one comes damaged I'm giving up and buying something more expensive from Amazon or Target.  But I really wanted cheap on this so if the airlines ruin it I'm not too upset, because airlines exclude carseats and strollers from their liability.

I don't know if this is airline-specific, but our car seat was damaged (unusable) during a flight and the airline (Alaska) reimbursed us for the purchase price and the cost of renting a car seat during our travels.  It was treated similarly as damaged luggage and we had to speak with a customer service agent and provide a receipt (which we had because it was purchased online).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8282 on: February 13, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »

That's nice.

I don't know if this is airline-specific, but our car seat was damaged (unusable) during a flight and the airline (Alaska) reimbursed us for the purchase price and the cost of renting a car seat during our travels.  It was treated similarly as damaged luggage and we had to speak with a customer service agent and provide a receipt (which we had because it was purchased online).

I don't know which airline I'm flying yet (probably american or united) but I know United excludes car seats and strollers from their damage coverage.  ("Except for certain International Carriage subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention, UA is not liable for damage to child/infant seats when carried as Checked Baggage." From their contract of carriage. I assume this also means gate checking.)

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #8283 on: February 13, 2017, 02:37:03 PM »
I just ordered another $25 amazon gift card through swagbucks today.

It's overall a pretty miniscule amount, but I made ~ $183 last year in amazon gift cards from swagbucks and mPlus rewards.

I figure since I'd be wasting time on forums or playing mobile games anyway, I might as well earn a few rewards points during some of my more idle times.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8284 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »
Spontaneous sugar party at work yesterday. (Whenever one person in my team decides they need a sugar hit, they come back with enough lollies and chocolate to cater a kid's birthday party. I think it's their way of sharing the guilt.)

I didn't eat anything, but when they were handing out leftovers I ended up with some bits and pieces I can use in birthday rocky road for my mum. I already had half the ingredients and a pretty jar at home, so it's going to end up costing me nothing.

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8285 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »
Gave my children's hair a trim today.  They're all girls, so they all get the blunt-cut-with-bangs treatment.  Easy peasy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8286 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
I did my first ever bike trip to the grocery store! =o ~1.2miles each way, so too far to want to walk it. Hoping this becomes a thing! (I just got my first bike as an adult, and I got panniers! I feel so fancy).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8287 on: February 13, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Went to the local thrift store to find a birthday gift for a family friend, found two small items (<$5 together), and got out without visiting the book section!  This is a big victory for me :P

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8288 on: February 13, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Bundled some discounts to save an extra $22 on a magazine subscription for my husband.

It's work-related, so also tax deductible.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8289 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Helped my son make valentines for his class out of cardstock I already have, rather than running out to the drugstore to buy cards.  We made simple origami toys instead of putting in candy. I had to leave halfway, so husband had to help him finish them... apparently my son wanted to save even more by not giving valentines to the girls! :D

Bracken_Joy, your bike ride is impressive!  And it made me smile to think of your fancy panniers!!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8290 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:09 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.
 so we save a lot of money by not buying :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8291 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:18 PM »
we did not buy a house...we stupidly are getting enchanted with properties , search and calculate the whole weekend, then we wake up, check our finances, thankful for our saving rates which are possible only due to being renters and decide to forget about buying.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #8292 on: February 14, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/what-did-you-not-buy-today/

;)
Thank you mustachepungoeshere  !

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8293 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Got 10% off kid clothes by asking for a discount.

Used the Kitchenaid grain grinder to make baby cereal instead of paying $7 a box.

We had a break in the rain so line-dried a load of laundry.

Made a $200 clearing some junk out of the garage before beginning remodel to turn it into rooms for the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8294 on: February 14, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
We realize that we had forgotten to buy chocolate for dessert for Valentine's Day.

Option 1) drive 25km to the nearest store, pay through the nose for mediocre chocolate, drive home. NOPE.

Option 2) no chocolate. Enh, it's an option, but not really a fun/pleasant one.

Option 3) say "hey child, wanna make chocolate squares for Valentine's Day?", melt a half cup of chocolate, pour it into the bottom of silicone muffin tins in little wafer shapes, and let the toddler add toppings of her choice (walnuts, mostly. She loves walnuts). Didn't use anything special, everyone had chocolate, and it was a lovely activity... and we didn't have to leave the house or drive anywhere, so no money spent! :)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8295 on: February 14, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
I made a batch of homemade marshmallows for my husband's Valentine's gift since he adores hot chocolate. I'd planned to make a batch of fancy hot cocoa mix as well, but the kid took a short nap today so we just had the normal stuff with a flourless chocolate cake for dessert.

WhoDey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8296 on: February 15, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
I just cancelled my home security saving $50 per month.

I also just started maxing out my HSA!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8297 on: February 15, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »
Went to work. Where I was given a set of free headphones as part of a promo.

Nothing too flash but they are the style my husband prefers so they can go in the drawer for the next time he loses a pair.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8298 on: February 15, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
I've heard people mention it , but for the first time I was dragging and needed a cup of Joe so I just ran some water through the used grounds from this morning and it was perfect.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #8299 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:22 PM »
I bought nothing because I've been snowed in for two days.