Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021029 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13150 on: August 14, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »
*Made potato salad from scratch — I’ve been buying it at the grocery store all summer. It was actually pretty easy and tasted delicious!

*Returned a defective Amazon product on time. We put it in my daytimer 4 days in a row so I wouldn’t forget!!

*Enjoyed homemade stevia pop with stevia drops and soda water. My favorite is root beer. We get the drops on Amazon. They have every flavor you could imagine!

*Made no bake peanut butter bars for lunches...they taste like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #13151 on: August 15, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
-Combined errands & returned a few kids clothing items that didn't fit. Went in person vs mailing back, saving the $5.95 in shipping return fees.
-On sabbatical, but ate lunch for free at the office. (I'm allowed to the use the facilities, but don't go often, because it feels like work again. I happened to be in the area around lunch time today.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13152 on: August 15, 2019, 08:45:02 PM »
Walked to and from work yesterday.
Today, on my day off, I will use my DH's train pass to travel to town, instead of driving. I will also try to combine that visit with other stuff to do there.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13153 on: August 16, 2019, 01:51:10 AM »
*cooked a free, ridiculously huge 29lb turkey from December. Bagged and froze the meat and kept out some for dinner. (Turkey Caesar wraps) Finally frees up some deep freeze space.

*cooked some dried navy beans and froze them

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13154 on: August 16, 2019, 10:43:31 AM »
I entered a work competition to win free tickets to see the Seattle Storm- our pro women's basketball team- and won 2 tickets!

I set up outlook to send the email at exactly the time the contest opened so that it would be synched on our work computers. Worked out great!

Now taking my daughter to her first pro basketball game! We'll ride the bus to the arena (free for me, $2.50 bus fare for her).
Will probably buy popcorn or a snack, so not totally free but will be fun!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13155 on: August 17, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »
*Today I made a beef stew from 2 year old freezer is stew beef. It was very popular with the family.
I also made a double batch of granola (16c of oats and another 4-6 c of other good stuff.
A tapioca pudding was the third cooking adventure for today. I used to make this all the time and should put it back in rotation.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13156 on: August 17, 2019, 06:18:25 AM »
Brought breakfast, lunch, coffee, fruit and snack from home. I often make the mistake of not taking enough food with me to work and then get extremely hungry late in the afternoon and buy chocolate from the vending machine (no healthy choices available) or buy something greasy on the 45 minute walk home. It does mean my bag is really bulky and heavy in the morning but I guess that's healthy weight training.

For that purpose, I have a role of outmeal cookies in my desk, in a plastic bread bag. There are not attractive enough to be snacked without purpose, but when I'm very hungry, they work well. Just a few, not the whole bunch.

I'm trying out rice crackers now, hopefully that works too. And I have discovered there is instant soup available in the coffee corner of a different department. My coworkers sometimes laugh at me because I try to be friendly with the receptionist, the cleaners etc but no one on my floor knew the company provides free instant soup until the coffee machine maintenance man told me.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13157 on: August 17, 2019, 06:25:42 AM »
My coworkers sometimes laugh at me because I try to be friendly with the receptionist, the cleaners etc but no one on my floor knew the company provides free instant soup until the coffee machine maintenance man told me.

Plus you get the added benefit of not being a dick. :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #13158 on: August 17, 2019, 06:29:28 AM »
Brought breakfast, lunch, coffee, fruit and snack from home. I often make the mistake of not taking enough food with me to work and then get extremely hungry late in the afternoon and buy chocolate from the vending machine (no healthy choices available) or buy something greasy on the 45 minute walk home. It does mean my bag is really bulky and heavy in the morning but I guess that's healthy weight training.

For that purpose, I have a role of outmeal cookies in my desk, in a plastic bread bag. There are not attractive enough to be snacked without purpose, but when I'm very hungry, they work well. Just a few, not the whole bunch.

I'm trying out rice crackers now, hopefully that works too. And I have discovered there is instant soup available in the coffee corner of a different department. My coworkers sometimes laugh at me because I try to be friendly with the receptionist, the cleaners etc but no one on my floor knew the company provides free instant soup until the coffee machine maintenance man told me.
Why on earth would anyone laugh at you for being friendly with the receptionist and janitors?!  That's messed up.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13159 on: August 17, 2019, 06:33:42 AM »
I also wish I had something to tell in this thread, but after 2 super easy no spend weeks during my vacation it has been quite difficult to keep it up during the workweek back at work.

Food is a major struggle. Our freezer isn't that big and we don't really have the space for a bigger one. We can't fit in bread and dinner for a whole week. I'm often away for very long days so I'm either not home during shop opening times (thus relying on the convenience store on the train station by the end of the week, which is much more expensive and staples like bread are hard to get)  or I'm so tired I just can't bring myself to walk to the shop if it's still open.

Then when it's finally weekend, the weekends are so short and there's so much to do. I turned off my alarm and slept until 11, then made breakfast, did chores, ran an errand, now I'm in the train to a friend's birthday (2 hours one way). I'll be home late so I'll sleep in again tomorrow, then I need to clean and do laundry and plan food for the week, end of weekend. And all weekends are like that. I suppose I could skip the social contacts but then life would really be an endless drag.

I can't wait until retirement... Or at least the next holiday.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13160 on: August 17, 2019, 06:42:32 AM »

Why on earth would anyone laugh at you for being friendly with the receptionist and janitors?!  That's messed up.

My coworkers will greet them, they're not actively hostile, but they really don't see what the point of small talk is. I think it's pretty normal to talk about the weather, vacation plans or a new haircut. I used to be on the other side, I worked as a receptionist and in a cafetaria during undergrad and I hated that some people didn't consider me as an equal coworker because I had a service job. I can do my job efficiently because they clean my office and the bathroom, water my plants, refill my coffee machine, handle my mail and receive my visitors (and probably dozens of other important things that I don't even know about).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13161 on: August 18, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »
We had a cellar wall that didn't have plaster all over. As we are planning to sell the house, we wanted those 2 m2 plastered. Last time DH did it himself, it was very difficult, so we asked a company for a price to do it for us, using the bags of plaster we already have. That price turned out to be twice as expensive as we had expected, over 600$. That motivated DH to have another try himself. He watched some youtube instruction and this time it went much better. 600$ saved.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #13162 on: August 18, 2019, 05:28:56 AM »
Cleaned the garage and did some reorganization yesterday.  The cabinet I curb-picked a year or two ago to use in my horse trailer doesn't work in my new trailer, but there was a perfect spot for it in the garage.  After placing it there, I realized I could move a little buffet cabinet from the garage into the new horse trailer, and then move a file cabinet down to the basement to fill the storage role that the buffet was using.  So instead of buying a new cabinet for the trailer, everything just rotated.

Also, in the process of cleaning the garage, I found a nearly full box of latex gloves, which I was about to buy since I need them to apply a topical treatment on my injured horse.

Also found a fly mask that has some life left in it that had fallen behind the workbench, and 3 brand new windshield wipers.  Curiously, they don't fit my current vehicles, but I might be able to return them to CostCo, or give them away to someone who can use them.

Friday - used a $10 off coupon at the feed store, and also snagged a bottle of a horse grooming product that is normally $12 off their clearance table for $3.

Made a meal plan for the week around the veg that is coming in from the garden, and food we already have in the house, so weekly grocery shop today will be minimal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13163 on: August 18, 2019, 06:40:46 AM »
I found a new bunch of edible and well tasting mushrooms in the forest. The season is finally here for good and it rained a LOT yesterday, which is good for the mushrooms.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13164 on: August 18, 2019, 07:04:42 AM »
Went grocery shopping and bought some heavily discounted groceries. I'm going through my winter clothes to see what needs to be replaced and what can be repaired. I took a pair of shoes to be repaired, but it was beyond repair, so I had to let that pair go. I've had that pair since 2007 or 2008 so I guess that's a pretty decent lifespan for a pair of shoes. I'm also recycling a dress that has nice buttons, so I'm cutting those off to hopefully re-use in a new item of clothing.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13165 on: August 18, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »
I also wish I had something to tell in this thread, but after 2 super easy no spend weeks during my vacation it has been quite difficult to keep it up during the workweek back at work.

Food is a major struggle. Our freezer isn't that big and we don't really have the space for a bigger one. We can't fit in bread and dinner for a whole week. I'm often away for very long days so I'm either not home during shop opening times (thus relying on the convenience store on the train station by the end of the week, which is much more expensive and staples like bread are hard to get)  or I'm so tired I just can't bring myself to walk to the shop if it's still open.

Then when it's finally weekend, the weekends are so short and there's so much to do. I turned off my alarm and slept until 11, then made breakfast, did chores, ran an errand, now I'm in the train to a friend's birthday (2 hours one way). I'll be home late so I'll sleep in again tomorrow, then I need to clean and do laundry and plan food for the week, end of weekend. And all weekends are like that. I suppose I could skip the social contacts but then life would really be an endless drag.

Imma, rest assured there are plenty of us who admire your tenacity and are impressed with your achievements. For anyone with low(er) income being mushtashian is like an ongoing war that you already know how to fight - all the little tricks to stretch your income to the max, do without, treat your possessions well, so they will last and appreciate what you do have.
You always try to be victorious in all the little skirmishes and you have learned to distinguish the skirmishes from the truly important battles that must be won to reach FI.

You are a winner, Imma but you are not superwoman. If you don't take care of yourself then you weaken your cause - we all need rest, respite and fun, not to mention social interaction, which also takes time and money.
You can't win all the battles and sometimes you need to retreat to lick your wounds or simply rest - you've chosen your battles well.

You are an amazing optimizer, it will serve you well in your journey to FI. I'm much older than you but I just wanted to give you a virtual shout out, pat on the back:). Do as much as you can while you are young but remember to leave time for fun, family and friends.
Like they say in the states, "You go, girl!"

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13166 on: August 18, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »
Thanks @Rosy for your kind words! Deep inside I know of course we're on the right track, but on a day-to-day basis sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few months back I was feeling pretty good about our progress but now, I don't really feel that good about our situation. My employer is being hurt by the ongoing trade wars and my s/o has been sent home from work early a few times this week now, we had a few (planned) expenses. The Great Recession hurt us very bad, so any time I see trouble on the horizon I switch right back to buckling-down mode to fill up our emergency fund.

I always try to make sure to plan in some social activities every week even when it's difficult. And they also motivate me to be more mustachian because a lot of our friends and relatives are in precarious situations. They move around quite a lot and they really can't afford visiting us, which is why we spend so much time travelling to visit them. So I count my lucky stars that we have a year's worth of expenses in the bank that we can fall back on. Every single euro has been a challenge, but we now have way more money than we both ever thought was possible.

Frugal living and stretching every dime isn't the biggest challenge for us as we know no other way of living. We're not used to much. But somehow I still find it hard to come back to a messy home and I just can't get over that for some reason. I was partially raised by a grandmother who lived through the Depression and her motto is 'we might be poor but we are still decent people'. Of course her generation didn't work outside the home and I do, so I know I shouldn't compare myself to them, but it's hard for me to rest during the weekends when I could be cleaning or doing chores or cooking ahead.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13167 on: August 18, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »

I agree with Rosy!!

I am a stay at home mom of a large family and I don’t work outside the home like you do, Imma.  I feel like my “job” while my husband is away at work is to be as frugal as possible. I think that’s why most of my contributions here are food  based. A good amount of time in my day is spent on food procurement.

Today I:
*made hummus from scratch
*made a cake for dessert (company over)
*had some tea at church and made more at home rather than a Sbux run
*made  plans to use up the Costco food we bought this week
*sent my husband and daughter to the produce store on their bikes with backpacks for a produce stockup mid week — my goal is to shop once a week

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13168 on: August 18, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »
Kept the errands to a minimum. Returned some items I don't need, picked up the items I did, and came out $2 ahead. I found some items at Dollar Tree that were a good value for the size and price, so I'll try them out for future savings. (Liquid hand soap, gluten free cheese crackers, roasted nuts, and baby wipes, if anyone is interested :)

I bought a tiny treat, a candle in a glass jar with a lid that will be a good storage jar when the candle is burnt up. It was a planned treat, as I am completely out of candles and have been for some time. I put the last leftover lump of candle wax in my wax warmer, so I got all the good smells out of it, but no relaxing flame. I find candles one of the cheapest, longest lasting luxuries out there. I usually ask for them for Christmas, and this little $1 treat will probably last until then. If not, I can probably spring for another $1 candle :)

Added a pocket to a reusable shopping bag. This is an old one that had a logo from the company that made my SO redundant, so not good feelings looking at it. It was still in great useable shape, so I decided to add a pocket over the logo, increasing the utility and the chance we'd use it instead of stuffing it in the back of the closet. It ended up a bigger project than planned as I accidentally stuck the iron to the bag while ironing the pocket fabric, melting a hole. The fabric for the pocket was from an old dress shirt of SO's, so I just used another piece to patch the hole. The biggest piece of fabric left was from the front shirt panel that still had the breast pocket and flap attached. I got two pockets for the work of one! It looks ever so smart now, and the flap pocket is perfect for a debit card and folded up shopping list. It even buttons closed to keep those items safe!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13169 on: August 19, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
GARDEN
1. Cut some herbs for drying and will use some fresh lemon verbena for tea today.
2. Harvesting more peppers to chop and freeze in baggies.

SMALL SAVINGS
3. One of our grocery stores requires you to be signed up online for some of their discounts - so I'm finally doing that today.
Lost the damn card and app but found it again while I was decluttering the study.
4. We clipped $5 worth of coupons yesterday while chatting at the table after a late brunch (homemade apple pancakes with vanilla ice cream).
5. Finally, have ten UPC codes from Nellie's eggs saved for a free carton of eggs. Still kicking myself, that I lost the first batch when I was almost done.
I'm hoping they will turn up in the study as well.

REPAIRS
6. Fixing the big black leatherette chair in the study. It lost some screws and one of the seams came apart, found matching black duck tape in the tool drawer.

PURCHASE/REPLACEMENT
7. Replacing our Ninja coffee maker - worst purchase ever! (in case you are on the hunt for a new coffeemaker - stay away from Ninja coffee makers).

Found a Barsetto Grind and Brew, coupon $25 off, plus 5% rewards points w Amazon credit card, another $1 credit for digital media for using 3-day (free) shipping plus an extra 8% off using my existing Amazon rewards points for this purchase.
Still on the expensive side but it has everything I want, good reviews and I've always been a fan of having a built-in coffee grinder, which in the past has proven to be impossible to find at a reasonable price.
I used to buy Capresso, heavily discounted at Tuesday Morning but there were none this time.

I'm serious about my coffee preferences:). For hurricane season I have a pour-over heavy ceramic filter and I store two packs of ground Folgers Supreme:) coffee on the first of June each year. In case we lose power I am totally set up to still heat water inside or outside. (for an emergency pack of freeze-dried food and COFFEE).

All in all - nothing special, just trying to coral expenses - enjoy the things I value - like a good freshly ground cup of coffee or a sweet lemon verbena tea fresh from the garden.
Yeah well, we are foodies - no denying that:).

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13170 on: August 19, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »
5. Finally, have ten UPC codes from Nellie's eggs saved for a free carton of eggs. Still kicking myself, that I lost the first batch when I was almost done.
I'm hoping they will turn up in the study as well.

I didn't know about this! Thank you!

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13171 on: August 19, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »
Didn't drive an hour to the big city to buy supplies from Sam's Club, Office Depot, etc.  There isn't anything we absolutely need at this time.  Figure I saved at least $150 plus fuel.

Brought the usual breakfast, lunch, a snack and iced coffee from home.

Now, off to try and clean the HP Officejet here at the office rather than buying a new one utilizing troubleshooting methods.  A line is forming down the page when scanning.  Not very professional looking...

If you have to drive an hour to such stores, isn't it then cheaper to order online from time to time. If you order enough stuff, it might have free delivery. We do this with a lot of stuff. Driving is not free if you take into account all costs, including your time.

I do order things online.  If I'm going to the big city to visit family, or for an appointment, I'll shop there since I'll be in town anyway.  This is the reason why I didn't go this time.  No appointments, so no driving.  :)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13172 on: August 19, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »
Didn't drive an hour to the big city to buy supplies from Sam's Club, Office Depot, etc.  There isn't anything we absolutely need at this time.  Figure I saved at least $150 plus fuel.

Brought the usual breakfast, lunch, a snack and iced coffee from home.

Now, off to try and clean the HP Officejet here at the office rather than buying a new one utilizing troubleshooting methods.  A line is forming down the page when scanning.  Not very professional looking...
Hey @MountainGal! Open it all up and look for the thin strips of glass. Then clean the glass very carefully. Usually something that's stuck on the glass is the cause of that stripe.

Yeah, I've done that about a half dozen times.  There is something under the long, thin piece of glass on the feeder side.  I've tried everything to remove it, as the glass itself does not lift.  I need to see if DH has a Torx bit in order to do a little surgery on the unit apparently.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13173 on: August 19, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
Finally used my reusable wax bowl covers. They worked beautifully over a glass mixing bowl I used to make a super cheap meal of canned tuna. It tasted so good for lunch that I made it again for dinner.
Air dried some laundry. In 110 degree heat, things dry quickly! Trying to stay positive while I'm melting....
Got lunch for $1 on a deal at work today, so left my packed lunch in the fridge. Won a drawing for free food at a local restaurant that I'll use for lunch on Thursday. May put off the big grocery shop for a few more days! And in a three-paycheck month!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13174 on: August 19, 2019, 07:51:36 PM »
I made a separate trip to the produce market on the other end of my city and spent $15 on a quantity of produce that probably would have cost $25 or $30 at a big grocery store.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13175 on: August 19, 2019, 09:08:32 PM »
*Used up turkey from leftovers and turned it into a casserole. Cooked up some noodles and made a cream sauce.

*Ate the last of some expired yogurt for dessert with homemade granola sprinkled on top and some strawberry sauce from a dessert last week.

*Enjoying the outdoor lights on our back deck in the evenings while reading and hanging out with the kids

*Got a DVD out of the library since I can’t find the series online anymore. It’s “Welcome to Sweden” written by and starring Amy Poehler’s brother. It’s quite funny but was cancelled due to low ratings.
There were just two seasons.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13176 on: August 19, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
* My post hike snack was mostly free samples at the grocery store and an apple that I picked from a neighbor.
* I picked up blankets from buy nothing for park hangouts.
* Got a ton of free produce from food not bombs.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13177 on: August 20, 2019, 12:39:50 AM »

I agree with Rosy!!

I am a stay at home mom of a large family and I don’t work outside the home like you do, Imma.  I feel like my “job” while my husband is away at work is to be as frugal as possible. I think that’s why most of my contributions here are food  based. A good amount of time in my day is spent on food procurement.

Today I:
*made hummus from scratch
*made a cake for dessert (company over)
*had some tea at church and made more at home rather than a Sbux run
*made  plans to use up the Costco food we bought this week
*sent my husband and daughter to the produce store on their bikes with backpacks for a produce stockup mid week — my goal is to shop once a week

Sounds like a good life you're having @1967mama ! I know it's hard raising a big family but I grew up in a big, multigenerational family in the countryside with lots of visitors and homemade food in the kitchen at all times and I miss it now most of them are gone. We are childless, we don't have any family left in the area and no one ever drops in spontaneously because everyone, including us, is working all the time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13178 on: August 20, 2019, 05:57:43 AM »
We're in the end stages of our major house re-build, and are now doing the 'little' things like furnishing/painting/decorating.  We didn't skimp on the major things like windows, doors, cabinets, etc.  But now we are consciously shifting our mindset to avoid the 'Diderot effect' (where because you have one nice thing,  other things must be luxurious to match -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect).   

* For furniture, we went shopping in our basement and are cleaning, repairing, and re-using our old things whenever possible. 
* We did need a new dining table though.  We reclaimed old wood from the walls of the house, and a friend of ours made us a big farm-style table.  It's beautiful!
* Same for two new closet doors we needed.  We built them from repurposed wood from the earlier demolition.
* For the dining chairs, we're buying old ones at thrift stores and painting/reupholstering them ourselves.  They're all mismatched, but they'll be painted the same color and upholstered with the same fabric.  Fun. 

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #13179 on: August 20, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »
Yesterday: went to the expensive local/independent grocer, 'cause they have better fruit, and it turns out they have really good prices for cheap/"difficult" cuts of meat (chicken backs and legs, pork shoulder, etc.). I guess 'cause their wealthy busy clientele can't/won't cook it? Bought a couple of pounds of pork neck and made delicious sticky soy saucy stuff.

Made a quick supper (cheesy cornbread) for SO and friend before an evening at a "games cafe". So, we saved on the cost of supper, but the cafe itself was awfully expensive for what it was. Next time, it's supper and Quiddler at our place!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13180 on: August 20, 2019, 03:27:08 PM »
*Made a big batch of steel cut oats for the fridge - we do this a few times a week.

*Made cookie sheet sized pan of tomato focaccia bread to go with our BBQ Costco chicken thighs tonite. Will make a salad in a bit with homemade Italian dressing.

*Reading cookbooks from the library for motivation and ideas.

*I was psyched to find out that our library has the new book on FIRE based on the documentary - put a hold on it for when it’s available. I think I was 6th. Maybe there are other Mustachians in my town??

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13181 on: August 20, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
Returned an item that didn't fit.
Went to a friend's house to hang out and work on a project together. I had a piece she needed to finish a project, so she didn't have to buy anything. I made some progress on my pieces made from upcycled fabric, and zero money was spent.
Put off buying groceries for yet another day. Maybe I can stretch it to the weekend.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13182 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
Grocery shopped during Senior Morning at Grocery Outlet. Ten percent off my entire purchase, woo-hoo! Then across the street to the 99 Cents Only Store. On the way home, I stopped by my favorite thrift store and paid 50 cents for a puzzle. Big day!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13183 on: August 21, 2019, 09:36:44 AM »
1. This morning, placed a call to follow up on old paperwork in the hopes of adding more income. 'Twas worth a call even if nothing came of it.
Now I have clarity, always a good thing.

2. Used my Coldstone Ice Cream gc yesterday on the way home from lunch with a friend instead of ordering a pricey dessert at the restaurant.
Mr. R. was happy to see the carton of sweet cream and raspberry ice cream.

I was appalled at the price of their Root Beer, $5.25 - yes, it is awesome and made on the premises of the brewery restaurant. The only consolation is that I had two glasses since they allow free refills, so I guess paying $2.62 a glass is not all that bad since it is fresh and well crafted.

3. Today I plan on batch cooking some soup - kitchen sink soup:).
 Golden yellow grits pudding with cherries and shaved chocolate for dessert. It is one of my favorites from my childhood that my mother used to make. A version of what they call Tapioca or Indian pudding. I like it hot, Mr. R. prefers it cold - weird:).

4. $5 cash for downloading the new Chase app - targeted promo, so yeah I'll take your five bucks, thx Chase.

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #13184 on: August 21, 2019, 09:46:10 AM »
I'm going out of town on Saturday, so I'm trying to use up everything in the fridge. Made a lentil soup last night with all the spare veggies lying around that will last me until I go, and I can freeze any additional leftovers.

I also used up the rest of my homemade cold brew a little early. A new full batch is about 2 weeks worth and would get bitter if it sat too long before I came back. Normally, I'd bridge the gap to my vacation by treating myself to iced coffee at Dunkin'. But instead, I just made another smaller batch of the homemade stuff that will run out around the time I leave.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #13185 on: August 21, 2019, 12:03:24 PM »
I went back to the store where my item scanned in for the wrong price on Monday. Normally I might roll my eyes and not find it worth my time to go back over $2.50... but, it wasn’t far and I needed to stop for something else anyway on my way to an appointment. Not only did I get the overcharge back, but their scanning code of practice states that the correct price be reduced by $10. Ended up getting $13.13 back, so well worth the time.

Still carrying around a receipt from a few weeks ago that I think has a $2 or $3 overcharge on it... it’s not an area I am in often and isn’t worth a specific trip. Perhaps I’ll be nearby the store in the next week, though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:47:01 AM by Step37 »

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13186 on: August 24, 2019, 08:44:25 AM »
It's Avocado time - we have a 50yr old, 30-foot Avocado tree laden with fruit. We garden organically.
So Mr. R. has started bringing big grocery paper bags to work to share our bounty - like he does every year.
Doesn't really save us money, but I hate to see this much fruit go to waste and I believe in sharing our bounty:).

1. My challenge for this week is finding some good recipes for Avocados since I'm not really a fan - just something to mix or disguise the flavor a bit.
Mr. R. has Avocado for breakfast and we're bringing some to a birthday party today.
We have new neighbor's who might like some too. I'll ask them this weekend. They are young Millennials and might harvest some of the lower branches.
2. Harvested what may be the last batch of peppers for a while for the freezer. This week, I plan to hang up a few bundles of rosemary for drying.

3. We still don't have a dryer - so there is always a bit of money saved for electricity and our clothes/sheets will last longer too.

4. On Monday, I will look into what perks my health insurance has - like the silver sneakers and some sort of gift card program for doing healthy things.
 I got fat in the past six months but I refuse to buy clothes in the next bigger size. This is my limit, Basta.
I'm seriously considering doing the diet bet challenge, maybe earning some money for my efforts will give me incentive.
I'm not enthused nor amused, I'm mad at myself.

5. Decided to add an extra $1K to my add-on CD @3.25%.
I'm using the $1K in one of my checking accounts which has a min $1K balance requirement to stay fee-free. I found out I can switch to a free checking account and still keep the same account number.
Savings $32~ in interest - not much but that $1K will give me a headstart on my new savings goal for 2020.

Do you have any good Avocado recipes to share?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13187 on: August 24, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
Do you have any good Avocado recipes to share?

I mean, I love avocado, so I have a hard time telling if a recipe will be good for someone else who doesn't so much.
How I usually eat it: guacamole with chips or smashed on crispbread with chili lime seasoning on top.
Ways I have eaten it where it features less prominently: adds smoothness to smoothies, used as a fat in baking (avocado brownies are great! super creamy), wrapped with bacon and breading and stuff and fried (not health food, haha), on top of cobb salads, replacement for mayo on sandwiches.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13188 on: August 24, 2019, 09:36:16 AM »
Ooooh @Rosy such a shame you're not my neighbour! I wouldn't mind picking all of your avocado's for you if that meant I got to keep some. They don't grow where I live so I've never had a truly fresh one.

Some other recipes that come to mind are cold avocado soup and avocado egg salad. It's also delicious to put avocado in a cheese toastie. I've heard of avocado cheesecake but haven't actually tried it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13189 on: August 24, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »
Ooooh @Rosy such a shame you're not my neighbour! I wouldn't mind picking all of your avocado's for you if that meant I got to keep some. They don't grow where I live so I've never had a truly fresh one.

Next time you eat an avocado, put the stone afterwards in a pot of earth and water like a normal plant. It will grow a plant/tree.
Ours is now about 4 years old, 1,5 meters high and about a meter wide (at the leaves). It prefers warmth and sunlight and uses lots of water. Still no avocado fruits though, but maybe it will come some day. It stands in our living room, we only put it outside when we go on a long summer vacation.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13190 on: August 24, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »
I went back to the store where my item scanned in for the wrong price on Monday. Normally I might roll my eyes and not find it worth my time to go back over $2.50... but, it wasn’t far and I needed to stop for something else anyway on my way to an appointment. Not only did I get the overcharge back, but their scanning code of practice states that the correct price be reduced by $10. Ended up getting $13.13 back, so well worth the time.

Still carrying around a receipt from a few weeks ago that I think has a $2 or $3 overcharge on it... it’s not an area I am in often and isn’t worth a specific trip. Perhaps I’ll be nearby the store in the next week, though.
Cold brew freezes well. Just sayin'

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13191 on: August 24, 2019, 01:17:38 PM »
Got a library card for the first time in 25 years...that should save a few bucks in books and DVD rentals.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13192 on: August 24, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »

Next time you eat an avocado, put the stone afterwards in a pot of earth and water like a normal plant. It will grow a plant/tree.
Ours is now about 4 years old, 1,5 meters high and about a meter wide (at the leaves). It prefers warmth and sunlight and uses lots of water. Still no avocado fruits though, but maybe it will come some day. It stands in our living room, we only put it outside when we go on a long summer vacation.

I never thought it would grow in a moderate climate! But if it grows in Norway (even though it's indoors) it will probably grow here too! I don't think we get enough sun to be able to grow fruit but it's worth a try.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13193 on: August 24, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
Picked up a book on hold at the library that was posted about here in Reader Recommendations.
Went window shopping in a really eclectic nearby store, left my purse in the car.
Went actual shopping at Aldi. Last shop of the month, and I'm $30 under my budget! Due to the lower gas prices in my area and avoiding driving, I'm $50 under budget for gas. That evens out an unexpected expense that cropped up this month.
Ate dinner at home from said groceries.

Side note, Aldi has drying racks for $19.99 this week that are multi-level, adjustable, with a sweater shelf and shoe hooks.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13194 on: August 24, 2019, 07:59:09 PM »
*Borrowed School of Rock DVD from the library

*Bought large pizzas at the grocery store instead of ordering in on a stressful day — yes it would
Have been better to make it from scratch. Haha but not possible.

*Repaired a piece of plastic in my car with crazy glue

*Got car repairs done at a local mechanic shop
Rather than at the dealership

*Made hamburger buns from scratch yesterday

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13195 on: August 25, 2019, 01:17:05 AM »

I never thought it would grow in a moderate climate! But if it grows in Norway (even though it's indoors) it will probably grow here too! I don't think we get enough sun to be able to grow fruit but it's worth a try.

Maybe I should mention that we have floor heating in the winter half of the year. But it doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13196 on: August 25, 2019, 01:28:37 AM »
Picked up a book on hold at the library that was posted about here in Reader Recommendations.

I LOVE doing this too!! I feel like I’ve hit the jackpot when a book I read about here is actual part of our library’s collection!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13197 on: August 25, 2019, 02:02:55 AM »

Maybe I should mention that we have floor heating in the winter half of the year. But it doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

Well, we have big windows to the south so there's a little bit of warmth from the sun throughout the year. And during summer we can put it outside.

We are working on our garden and there's a space I want to fill with potted plants (herbs and fruits) and I'm trying to grow most of them from scratch or from other people instead of buying them. An avocado tree would be a nice addition.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13198 on: August 25, 2019, 06:01:41 AM »
I've been needing a weeding hoe, and yesterday I bought a used one instead of a new one. -- $12, and it will outlast me I am sure.

I finally used up a gift card I've had forever, to buy a few houseplants.   

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13199 on: August 25, 2019, 05:27:16 PM »
*Came home for tea instead of stopping at Sbux even though I was craving a London Fog

*Used $70 in grocery store points

*Prepped the ingredients for a crockpot dinner last night and left it in the fridge overnight. Hubby put it in the base and turned it on for me before church

*Salvaged a patio set (glass table and 4 chairs) for university bound son who has rented a house with 5 other guys — he also took a free bar fridge that we took off someone’s hands 6 months ago — it was headed for the dump! Works great!

*Reading library books

Edited to add that the patio set was sitting outside a neighbour’s house with a free sign on it!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:04:52 AM by 1967mama »