Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3222626 times)

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9650 on: September 03, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »
I finally made the time to work through my mending basket.

It's all easy to do, but I hate sewing on buttons.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9651 on: September 03, 2017, 02:09:35 PM »
Went to the Denver Art Museum with my daughter, got in free because we'd been gifted a membership for Christmas last year.  There was a special "The Western" showing that we got into for only $5 because we were members.  Non-Member price was $15.  So we had a nice afternoon and a good amount of culture for a grand total of $5.  Nice.
Frugalite in training.

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #9652 on: September 03, 2017, 02:19:12 PM »
Changed my car broken interior door handle and bezel. It was ridiculously easy and took about 10 minutes.  Total cost was $12 for parts ordered online. The auto shop wanted to charge $45 just for the parts, labor not included.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9653 on: September 03, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Replaced the toilet flapper. Admittedly, we bought the wrong one at first, but for a $2 loss, it wasn't a bad DIY =) And now that stupid toilet won't run and flush at night!

Saw N95 masks at the store while we were there, for cheaper than we were going to buy them on amazon. Fire smoke is really bad here right now, so we picked a couple up. And they were sold in 1s, so we won't have a ton of extras like if we had ordered online.
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #9654 on: September 03, 2017, 06:53:56 PM »
Got back in the habit of doing grocery shopping at whole sale store first followed by Trader Joes. Used coupons at wholesale store for items already on my list and saved an extra $11. Made a price comparison list to determine if whole sale store items are more economical and they are. On track to get our $280 per week grocery bill for a family of five who eats (a lot!) fresh whole foods down.  Today rang in at $242. Progress!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9655 on: September 03, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
Got back in the habit of doing grocery shopping at whole sale store first followed by Trader Joes. Used coupons at wholesale store for items already on my list and saved an extra $11. Made a price comparison list to determine if whole sale store items are more economical and they are. On track to get our $280 per week grocery bill for a family of five who eats (a lot!) fresh whole foods down.  Today rang in at $242. Progress!

Good work!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9656 on: September 04, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
We ran out of shampoo this morning. Normally we buy it in the grocery store whenever we go shopping, but while on my bike to work I passed a different store that had a buy one, get one free promotion on all shampoo so I bought 4 bottles and paid only 2 ( I always keep a small stash of care products). They also have a loyalty scheme so I got some points towards free groceries too.

FIREFTW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9657 on: September 04, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
Intentionally ordered less food for myself while on an outing

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9658 on: September 04, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »
This was actually the other day...

I made a BIG pot of soup.  Cabbage and turkey kielbasa sausage soup. 

My food expenses are rather large for a single person and I'm slowly cooking more and more at home over the long term.  Learning how to cook food that tastes how you like it takes time if you never focused on doing so before.  But it saves SO much money. 

So yeah, I got about 10 meals out of that pot!  About half of it is in the freezer for next week.  I'm pretty proud of myself...especially because I was having a random cabbage and sausage soup craving (lol) and had never even tasted such a type of soup before.  Really glad to have another trusted recipe I can go to for bulk cooking.

Still eating from the same big frozen batch of soup. 

Was out and about running errands yesterday and ended up near my favorite restaurant.  Was realllly hungry.  But I convinced myself to go home instead of paying $20-$40 for an expensive meal out.  Will probably make a fresh batch of soup today.
Ever shop online? Use my referral link below for Ebates and get FREE CASH BACK on purchases!

https://www.ebates.com/r/ZZIRVI?eeid=28187

gmdv

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #9659 on: September 04, 2017, 04:19:23 PM »
Replaced kitchen faucet. The new design makes installing quite easy. I did waste $0.99 on seal tape that wasn't necessary in the end.  Overall a really productive long weekend.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9660 on: September 04, 2017, 05:39:09 PM »
Found a farm stand in the area that sells local canning grade Romas. I got 25.6lbs for $19.99. Added another couple pounds of our garden tomatoes, and we're massive batch processing today- canning salsa currently (~16 pints planned) and then will can the remainder as diced tomatoes. Also got the jars on sale, so score there as well.
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9661 on: September 05, 2017, 02:45:21 AM »
Not saving, but earned: My DH won the local "being active" competition in our community. He will receive an electric bicycle that he can either use or sell. This is quite a big price.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9662 on: September 05, 2017, 03:28:41 AM »
Not saving, but earned: My DH won the local "being active" competition in our community. He will receive an electric bicycle that he can either use or sell. This is quite a big price.

Congratulations!

FrugalAussie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9663 on: September 05, 2017, 03:51:06 AM »
I'm really appreciating all your strategies to save money. Thank you. :)

We're finally getting some sunny days Down Under (Western Australia) so, inspired by your garden bounty stories, I've been out in the garden today getting beds ready for tomato plants. I don't have a great deal of luck with Tomatoes as we have very alkaline soil but every year I try.

Frugal saving today: Fridge Leftover Frittata.  Left over roast vegies/cooked vegies/tomato/old bits of mushroom and capsicum fried up in the iron pan, then cheese and six eggs added and bake.  YUM!  Fed three people with a salad for lunch.  Very healthy and I have more space in the fridge now.
FIRE'd in 2017, aged 51. Not bored yet!

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9664 on: September 05, 2017, 04:28:34 PM »
Yesterday I got a notice saying my Skype number had been cancelled because the payment didn't go through. I'd forgotten to update my credit card number after losing and replacing the card. Decided to notify people that I cancelled it and to use one of my other numbers instead. My Skype phone number had been redundant for years. Saved $30 this year and will save $30 annually thereafter.

Today friends had me over for dinner and asked me to bring salad. I bought full size tomatoes and sliced them for salad instead of getting the pretty cherry tomatoes. Saved between 20p and 90p, depending on which cherry tomatoes I might have gotten. Also re-gifted a fabric wall hanging.

Pennycounter

• Stubble
« Reply #9665 on: September 06, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
Cancelled my gym membership
Joined a weekday running group
Packed my lunch
Made breakfast smoothie from fruit I froze a few weeks ago (a large amount was gifted by a friend)
Picked up a few free food items from the sharing table at work
Impressive!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9666 on: September 06, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
Took the "laundry can" in which we collect pocket change to a Coinstar and redeemed for an Amazon gift card since there is no charge for that. We will buy husband's textbooks next term on Amazon, so we can save it for then. $151.35.

chasingthegoodlife

• Stubble
« Reply #9667 on: September 06, 2017, 02:37:46 PM »
Just cancelled my gym membership.

To be honest with you all, I will likely join again next year, but with all the time I'm away over the next few months it's just not worth it.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9668 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Bought hurricane supplies on amazon instead of the jacked up prices in local stores. If only they also delivered gas, we'd be all set. :)

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9669 on: September 06, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Bought hurricane supplies on amazon instead of the jacked up prices in local stores. If only they also delivered gas, we'd be all set. :)

Amazon Prime Pipeline™

@Rural, I kind of miss the Coinstar redemptions I used to do. I try to put everything on credit cards for the rewards now, and the only non-cash places I go tend to be even dollar amounts (e.g. $10 cover charge for a concert). I guess now I get the cashback rewards deposited into my checking account instead. But it's less exciting. ;-)
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9670 on: September 06, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
I had to go into town to buy a few things after work, and I really wanted to eat out, especially after I realised I had depleted the post-work biscuit/cookie stash in my bag. At home, I found I had a pre-made pizza that was expiring today, so dinner was easy after all. Savings: £7? Plus an extra £2.50 if you assume I would have thrown out the pizza if I forgot to eat it today, but I'm not sure I would have.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9671 on: September 06, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
I cut open the tube of hand cream I keep in my desk at work. Two weeks ago. It's still going!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #9672 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I groomed one dog and trimmed both dogs' nails. Made a few more batches of applesauce to freeze (using some apples bought for a good price and some free crabapples from our tree).
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9673 on: September 07, 2017, 04:32:20 AM »

Amazon Prime Pipeline™

@Rural, I kind of miss the Coinstar redemptions I used to do. I try to put everything on credit cards for the rewards now, and the only non-cash places I go tend to be even dollar amounts (e.g. $10 cover charge for a concert). I guess now I get the cashback rewards deposited into my checking account instead. But it's less exciting. ;-)

Yes, it does make cool noises and counts up in dramatic fashion, doesn't it? :)
But I don't do it much, either - that was about three year's worth of loose change because it's a haul to anywhere with a a machine now and my bank has quit doing it for free sometime since the last time I took it all in. We do almost everything on rewards cards, too. Most of my cash use is the local thrift stores which don't take cards for purchases under $5.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9674 on: September 07, 2017, 05:49:58 AM »
I never let myself enjoy coinstar because of the big fees.

But earlier this week I was at the hated Walmart self checkout and realized I could dump change in. So I popped in all my change before feeding the machine a bill. So delightful! And I'm switching to a cash only system for the fall, so it kept me nicely on track while giving me somewhere to buy groceries if I get down to small change

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9675 on: September 07, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »
My local Piggly Wiggly just ended a sale of Black Angus ground chuck(80/20) for $1.99 a pound. No limit, no other required purchase. Bought and froze 30 pounds. Bring on the homemade taco's, meatloaf, spaghetti and soups all winter long!

As a bonus, I made 3 pounds of meatballs for the first time, using some old packages of meatball spice I bought a year ago for a quarter. Tasted great, and I have some ideas to make them even better the next time I make them.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9676 on: September 07, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
Went to Aldi to get a pet carrier ($15) for my move this weekend and got three more $5 off $35 coupons. Now I have six. Aldi is giving the coupons away because they're closing the store for a few weeks...and the best part is I'm moving to an area that has one of the three Aldis that the coupon is valid at!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9677 on: September 07, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
A friend is coming to stay and I wanted to buy him a certain famous book about the town he's recently moved to.
Decided to put my copy of the book on the pillow of the guest bed and if he shows any interest, I'll tell him he can have it.

I like giving people books because I like to read myself and I forget a lot of people don't really read literature anymore.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:31:35 AM by Imma »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #9678 on: September 08, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Opened some windows and ran fans for a bit this morning - it's been too smokey to do so the past few days.

Taking some food with me on my road trip to see my horse at the trainer's this afternoon.  Trainer said she's been too busy to even get to the farmer's market this summer, so I'm buying some nearly free goodwill by bringing her a care package of homegrown eggs and veggies. Will trim horse's feet while I'm there, saving $40.

Meanwhile DH will be making salads for us with homegrown lettuce.

Teleworked all morning rather than driving to the office.

Canned five quarts of tomatoes last night, started tomato soup to can tonight, and also did a dehydrator load of cherry tomatoes.

mmmfan500

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9679 on: September 08, 2017, 01:10:01 PM »
Got a frozen pizza at the grocery rather than from some chain.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9680 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Opened some windows and ran fans for a bit this morning - it's been too smokey to do so the past few days.

We also did this =) Had the house open all day, too.

Washed our own cars. Because of all the falling ash, car wash lines have been insane. I just smile as I drive by, knowing I'm saving my $8-12.

Canned more salsa verde, from our garden tomatillos. Up to 24 pints now. Which sadly, still won't last us 6 months. Especially since some is slated for christmas gifts.

Offered to host Christmas again. A lot of work, but it saves us traveling over 1000 miles.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9681 on: September 08, 2017, 02:43:49 PM »
Came home to eat lunch instead of easily buying something while we were out. It's hard when everything is so damn close, but I feel like we're building up some resistance and going back to our usual cooking.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9682 on: September 08, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »
Came home to have lunch. I was late getting home because of a lecture and because I wanted to check out a supermarket that just opened. I bought a frozen dinner on sale for tonight: £1. Also bought a bag of stir fry vegetables for tonight, marked down to 39p, but they're now for tomorrow's lunch. They expire today but should be OK.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9683 on: September 09, 2017, 06:40:33 AM »
Anytime you get given free grog is a good day in my books.

Work was clearing out the fridge at the end of last week... have quite a few ciders in my fridge now :)

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #9684 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:30 AM »
Returning my work rental car today, I saved $ by taking 2 modes of public transit vice uber or taxi.
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9685 on: September 09, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
I've been doing a bit of online window shopping over the past couple of weeks, looking at things for my balcony. Lanterns, boho prints, glassware, etc.

Spring is here, and I want it to be beautiful when friends come over for dinner, drinks, barbecues, etc.

Instead of spending money, I got out there and cleaned it. Scrubbed the balcony railings, cleaned the barbecue, threw a few things out, wiped down the furniture.

I went through my stash of empty jars and found a few that will be perfect with 6mm Ikea tea lights, and I'll string up my copper wire fairy lights.

It was a great example of the importance of identifying the trigger behind the desire to spend.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9686 on: September 09, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
I've been doing a bit of online window shopping over the past couple of weeks, looking at things for my balcony. Lanterns, boho prints, glassware, etc.

Spring is here, and I want it to be beautiful when friends come over for dinner, drinks, barbecues, etc.

Instead of spending money, I got out there and cleaned it. Scrubbed the balcony railings, cleaned the barbecue, threw a few things out, wiped down the furniture.

I went through my stash of empty jars and found a few that will be perfect with 6mm Ikea tea lights, and I'll string up my copper wire fairy lights.

It was a great example of the importance of identifying the trigger behind the desire to spend.

Very nice. It sounds like it will be great for gatherings.

I'm feeling similarly pleased with myself for having rearranged my furniture, swept the floors, done the laundry and taken out the garbage and recycling today. I picked up a used bookcase for £5 yesterday, and that's helped considerably with the clutter. I haven't cleaned everything yet, but already the apartment feels bigger and brighter.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9687 on: September 09, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »

I look forward to seeing this! (And I should also go and scrub my balcony too!)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9688 on: September 09, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »

Work was clearing out the fridge at the end of last week... have quite a few ciders in my fridge now :)

Always knew you were a cheap drunk. ;)

I look forward to seeing this! (And I should also go and scrub my balcony too!)

Can't wait. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9689 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »

Always knew you were a cheap drunk. ;)

Easy to make me happy :)

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9690 on: September 09, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »

This!  I have been wanting to make our backyard a nicer place to hang out,  because we spend so much time at home.  We moved the furniture from the porch we rarely use down to a cozy spot in the backyard, cleaned up some garden debris, swept the drive, got a couple outdoor toys for the toddler from our Buy Nothing group, and now it's a nice place to hang out. We did buy a cheap wading pool (end of season sale) and some bubbles (for the wand- we will refill it with homemade bubble solution.) But mostly it was tidying and rearranging

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9691 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »

This!  I have been wanting to make our backyard a nicer place to hang out,  because we spend so much time at home.  We moved the furniture from the porch we rarely use down to a cozy spot in the backyard, cleaned up some garden debris, swept the drive, got a couple outdoor toys for the toddler from our Buy Nothing group, and now it's a nice place to hang out. We did buy a cheap wading pool (end of season sale) and some bubbles (for the wand- we will refill it with homemade bubble solution.) But mostly it was tidying and rearranging

That sounds awesome.

And this is why I love this forum.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9692 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:11 PM »
Just moved into a new place today. I already started switching the bulbs to some free LEDs I got last year.

I did the math on my bathroom. The original was 4 bulbs totalling 160 watts. I took all of them out and put one 9 watt bulb.

If the lights are on for two hours every day for a year, the original will cost $15.18. The new single bulb will cost $0.82.

Not to mention the extra heat output.

Dollar Slice

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9693 on: September 09, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
Just moved into a new place today. I already started switching the bulbs to some free LEDs I got last year.

I did the math on my bathroom. The original was 4 bulbs totalling 160 watts. I took all of them out and put one 9 watt bulb.

If the lights are on for two hours every day for a year, the original will cost $15.18. The new single bulb will cost $0.82.

I love LEDs! The light is so much nicer than fluorescents, too. My apartment is hilariously overlit - light fixtures everywhere, recessed lighting, track lighting, etc. I put in lamps and a bunch of 3W bulbs (40-watt equivalent LEDs) and it's so much nicer. Plus cheaper and less wasteful. Electricity is very expensive here, so it makes a big difference.

Someday I'll have to figure out how much money I save by showering in the dark every day.
Referrals for...
Prolific Academic: http://www.prolific.ac/rp?ref=3PJ4H43L (Earn money by taking academic surveys - way better than mturk, I average ~$9/hr)
Robinhood: http://bit.ly/2uGXBPG (Get a free stock!)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9694 on: September 09, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
Shredded paper (sensitive documents + newspaper) for my work farms using scissors. Trying to hold off on buying a shredder.

Cooked up batches of tasty meals for the freezer stash.

Used the Pretirement app to convince myself not to spend money!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9695 on: September 10, 2017, 04:04:26 AM »
Probably a couple of hundred dollars, so maybe not small: door lock stopped working, and Mr Happier thought he'd try WD40 as an experiment before calling a locksmith. It worked!!

Saved someone else a small amount of money: BFF needed lemons and I had some just ripening on my tree. Perfect.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9696 on: September 10, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
Probably a couple of hundred dollars, so maybe not small: door lock stopped working, and Mr Happier thought he'd try WD40 as an experiment before calling a locksmith. It worked!!

Great that it worked but please don't make a habit of using WD40 on locks.

It gunks up the mechanism.

Graphite powder is a much better lubricant for locks.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9697 on: September 10, 2017, 05:04:52 AM »

Great that it worked but please don't make a habit of using WD40 on locks.

It gunks up the mechanism.

Graphite powder is a much better lubricant for locks.

Good to know!! Thank you.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9698 on: September 10, 2017, 05:30:24 AM »
Shredded paper (sensitive documents + newspaper) for my work farms using scissors. Trying to hold off on buying a shredder.

Cooked up batches of tasty meals for the freezer stash.

Used the Pretirement app to convince myself not to spend money!!

We don't have a shredder either. When we need to get rid of sensitive documents, we put them in the BBQ and light it. Paper burns really fast.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9699 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:54 AM »
We are taking a 4 hour train journey today and we took a small cool box with yoghurts and fruit and drinks so we don't have to buy expensive healthy food at the train station. We had kind of planned to buy a coffee (our thermos broke and we left home at 6 in the morning) but the line was too long for our liking. The trip is taking longer than planned so we might still have that coffee after all. Still, we've only spent €4 so far on our breakfast and snacks so that's not much for a long trip.