Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020992 times)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6850 on: August 16, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
4alpacas, our zucchini plants are happily producing as well!  Am going to try a low carb zucc bread recipe for the first time this evening.  We'll see how it turns out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday night's dinner was what I fondly call Leftover Buffet at our house.

Saved 23% off our monthly grocery bill last night by using coupons, e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Made chef salads after grocery shopping instead of buying and baking the usual frozen pizza.

Oh, and I paid off my student loan yesterday.  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:13:05 PM by MountainGal »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6851 on: August 16, 2016, 01:48:30 PM »
4alpacas, our zucchini plants are happily producing as well!  Am going to try a low carb zucc bread recipe for the first time this evening.  We'll see how it turns out!
I used a recipe that called for less sugar, but used crushed pineapple.  I also subbed in apple sauce for half of the oil, and I cut out a pit more sugar (applesauce is sweet too!).  I think the recipe turned out well, and I will probably cut back on the sugar even more the next time around.

What's your low carb version?
CONGRATULATIONS!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:46:29 AM by 4alpacas »

smella

• Stubble
« Reply #6852 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
i baked a dozen muffins to store in the freezer for after baby is born.  i had to buy a muffin tin ($7) but the price of muffins at the chic cafe on the corner is $3 a pop, so I figure i'm still $29 ahead.   I'm also going to reuse the muffin tin tomorrow (and a million more times, i hope!) to make a bunch of egg sandwiches to store in the freezer, which will also save me a bunch more money from avoiding the "I'm in a hurry and really need to buy an egg sandwich from the bodega for $4" problem.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6853 on: August 16, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
I was going to buy concert tickets online--$30 "convenience fee." So I went to the local Ticketmaster outlet in person to avoid the fee--they charge it anyway despite the notable lack of convenience. So I hauled my butt to the United Center box office. Spent $2 in bus fare to save $30.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6854 on: August 16, 2016, 06:10:24 PM »
Dammit. Woke up realising I'd forgotten to soak my Rolled oats overnight.
So I got a couple of hashbrowns and coffees at Maccas on the way. Damn.
So tonight I'm going to get a big jar at home and fill it with Rolled oats (dry) to leave at work. I can use boiling water to soak them for half an hour when I get to work if I forget to do it at home. Doesn't work as good but will save me money (and time) in the future.

Ha! I can top that. I put my rolled oats and water and sultanas in a bowl, carefully calculated the time needed to preset the timer on my pressure cooker, put the lid on, pressed start, woke up and rolled out of bed this morning when it beeped to find... the bowl with the rolled oats and water and sultanas sitting on the bench (yes, outside the pressure cooker) and a nice hot bowl of water.

I still got it, I just had to cook it again.

Hahahahaha. Nice work Primm! I've done similar things with my oats in the past. Mainly forgetting to put the water in to soak them overnight. In the past I think that was because I didn't want to OVER soak them, but I've since worked out that even if I prepare them when I'm preparing dinner the night before, it doesn't matter. If I prepare them at breakfast time for the following breakfast (ie 24hours) its not a good move though as they start to ferment (or something similar!).

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6855 on: August 16, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
Brought in a tub (washed and reused costco cottage cheese container) of couscous, plus a couple of sachet Indian meals to work. These will go in my work food stash drawer. The Sachets are approaching their use by, and were left overs from a work field trip (so, free).

I have a date lined up Friday night. Convinced her to go somewhere cheaper than what she planned, haha.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #6856 on: August 16, 2016, 06:18:45 PM »
I *was* going to buy a bus pass today instead of biking, beside of my sore muscles, but my biking habit is so strong that I already had my helmet on and my bike ready before I remembered. Shrugged my shoulders and went biking, saving $2.50.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6857 on: August 16, 2016, 09:12:43 PM »
I was shopping for a present for an upcoming wedding shower on Kohl's website.  Googled for a promo code to save 20%.  That's normal for me, but this time I thought to take the extra step and buy a discounted e-gift card for Kohls from raise.com as well.  That took another ~5% off and took about 2 minutes to do.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6858 on: August 16, 2016, 10:45:44 PM »

AMAZING. Great job, MountainGal.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6859 on: August 17, 2016, 12:02:47 AM »
Office lunch today to farewell a colleague, paid for by the company.

tortoiseshell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6860 on: August 17, 2016, 05:24:15 AM »
*Yesterday, I decided to take the bus/subway into the city, saving almost $4 over train fare

*Walked to the library to pick up a hold

*Ate a late lunch after I got home instead of buying something while out

*Went to the 2nd closest grocery store on a Tuesday to take advantage of a Tuesday-only meat special, and found that a lot of my usual produce was cheaper than the closest grocery store as well

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6861 on: August 17, 2016, 06:34:21 AM »
-Even though I forgot to make rice to get my lunch together today, I put rice on at 5am so it would be ready to go for the next few days of lunches. (Although not sure this saved me money- I have no idea what else I would eat, no option for buying food and no breaks).

-Having "grandma" check in on the dog today rather than paying someone to do it, because both DH and I have long work days. Usually we manage not to overlap, but not this week.

-Started using a Google Sheets template for our monthly budget, because Mint stopped working for us and Personal Capital lacks the feature. And I don't want to pay for YNAB. So far I'm really happy with it. I don't need many features, just a more accessible visual.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6862 on: August 17, 2016, 06:36:08 AM »
Thought of one more: Vet recommended doggie probiotics for Old Miss Dog. Instead of buying 30 sachets for $32 at the vet, we were able to get them at a lower price and through subscribe and save for 15% off- coming to a total of a little over $22. If she has to stay on this, it'll save $10/month.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6863 on: August 17, 2016, 07:01:26 AM »
Thought of one more: Vet recommended doggie probiotics for Old Miss Dog. Instead of buying 30 sachets for $32 at the vet, we were able to get them at a lower price and through subscribe and save for 15% off- coming to a total of a little over $22. If she has to stay on this, it'll save $10/month.
I've heard from some dog owners that they feed their dogs kefir, or mix excess kefir grains in with their food (probably desperate for ways to get rid of extra). Once you have the grains (which you can get free usually), the cost is the price of the milk. However, I'm not sure if there is a difference between person and doggie probiotics, so check with your vet before switching.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6864 on: August 17, 2016, 08:20:04 AM »
My little girl ate ALL her dinner tonight! All of it! Pretty rare (I'm not trying to over feed her as she wants other snacks soon after). So, no waste! (Sometimes if I'm still hungry I'll eat some or all of her leftovers rather than putting them in compost).

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6865 on: August 17, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
I made a lot more veggie chili than I thought. We ate it Monday and Tuesday and I still have a third of what I started with left. I think tonight, instead of chili, I'll make nachos. I have some extra corn tortillas I have to get rid of, so I'll fry those up, and top with the leftover chili, diced tomatoes, green onions, cheese, cilantro, and skyr. Then I think I might still have some left over that I will just send with my husband for lunch tomorrow.

It has been a long time since I made nachos, mostly because homemade, deep fried tortilla chips are 5490905 million calories. No seriously, it is depressing.  But my daughter will be very excited. She loves nachos.

I'm aware you can bake the chips, but unfortunately, they just haven't turned out all that great for me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 09:57:28 AM by Helvegen »

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6866 on: August 17, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
I replaced a broken door latch on my van. The cheapest I could find a new part was $165.
Dealer cost would probably be more, plus labor. Ebay had the part used for $55.
 I went to the local Pick-N-Pull and remove one from a junk van, they charged me
$21.78. It took 5.5 hrs start to finish.
BTW, this is the second time I replaced this part on two different GMC vans.
The spring breaks causing the latch to malfunction.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6867 on: August 17, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
I used a recipe that called for less sugar, but used crushed pineapple.  I also subbed in apple sauce for half of the oil, and I cut out a pit more sugar (applesauce is sweet too!).  I think the recipe turned out well, and I will probably cut back on the sugar even more the next time around.

What's your low carb version?
CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you.

For the bread, I'll use almond flour and Splenda in lieu of white flour and sugar.  I'll check back in with a review.  :D

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6868 on: August 17, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »

AMAZING. Great job, MountainGal.

Thank you so much.  Weight lifted. :)

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6869 on: August 17, 2016, 12:55:46 PM »
I found a coupon for a free Mountain House dehydrated backpacking meal.  It will be a nice convenience one night on my upcoming backpacking trip!

http://www.mountainhouse.com/pdf/TryMeFreeRebateForm.pdf

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6870 on: August 17, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
*Found $1.50 in change in my own house! (sigh)

*Baking for the freezer - kids will need lunches packed all of next week so trying to get ahead of the rush

*Hanging a load of towels that's in the wash right now ... I promise! (ETA: fail...used the dryer!)

*Got a $15 discount on dog training classes by signing up before the end of the month

*Keeing careful track of my grocery budget.

*Pulled more meat out of the freezer for tomorrow.

*ac is on but set 3 degrees warmer than my pre-MMM days

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:29:16 PM by 1967mama »

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6871 on: August 17, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »
Wrapped birthday gifts for my husband using squares of fabric in the manner of furoshiki. No waste from paper or gift bags and no money spent.

When I went to buy a tequila for birthday margaritas, the $12 bottle had a $5 rebate in Ibotta.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6872 on: August 17, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »
I packed lunch and ate leftovers for dinner. Also, I went to the supermarket this evening, so I have bread for tomorrow's lunch.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #6873 on: August 17, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »
I harvested some apples from a forgotten corner of a parking lot. They definitely were forgotten because there were heaps on the ground, sunburnt and rotting. These will either be turned into applesauce or dried for use in the winter.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6874 on: August 17, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
called my gas provider and got a 20% discount when the price matched a competitor

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6875 on: August 18, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
I looked for this thread earlier couldn't find it so posted in a different one.
But this goes here.

I didn't buy 8 industrial garden hose nozzles.
 Instead I sent an email to the company
that sold the 8 I already have that leak.
I ask if they had replacement parts
so I could repair the ones I have.
They said send us a picture of the 8 nozzles so we can verify model and quantity
and we will replace them under warranty.
  I did that, and they said they will ship  new ones within 5 days.
 I wish I would have saved all that I have had over the years.
  You might think I would find a different product but these nozzles work very well, until they leak.
 They are like a firehose nozzle, adjustable wide or thin spray.
My wife buys them at Sam's after summer season when they discount the price,
last time she bought 5 for $4.58 each. Such a deal.
And now 8 free!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6876 on: August 18, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
Packed lunch and ate leftovers for dinner again. Played Pokemon Go on wi-fi only, and on the way back into the apartment, saw that a leaving tenant had left a dustpan and little broom free for the taking. I still needed a dustpan, so now I'm all set.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6877 on: August 19, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
Screwed up my fritters (I thought I was putting besan into the bowl, but it was masa). Instead of chucking it out, I fiddled around a little and made sort-of-pupusas. They were pretty good!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6878 on: August 19, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
The garage shaved 10% off my (already reasonable considering the work) because "you're always pleasant when you come here and we really appreciate that in a regular customer".

Being pleasant: actually paying off.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #6879 on: August 19, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
The garage shaved 10% off my (already reasonable considering the work) because "you're always pleasant when you come here and we really appreciate that in a regular customer".

Being pleasant: actually paying off.

FTW!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6880 on: August 20, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
Some days ago I googled something (can't remember what), but in the search results was the address of a grocery store outlet. I went there today. They sell mainly snacks, but also normal groceries and I found cat food for 48% of the original price so I brought some home. I will make a list with things we will need so I can check sometimes if they have those things. It is a lot cheaper than the normal stores.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6881 on: August 21, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
I've been out of town all summer and haven't had a chance to get to the grocery store so there is pretty much nothing to eat in the house.  Rather than going to a drive through for supper I rummaged around in the cupboard and ended up eating dry cereal.  It didn't really hit the spot but it kept me going as I unloaded the car and put things away.

LindseyC

• Stubble
« Reply #6882 on: August 21, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »
I bought a 12' pruner on sale, and pruned all the low hanging branches on the trees in my yard. Then I borrowed a truck and made two trips to the dump to drop them all off. I could have cut and bundled the branches for free pickup, but the hours extra work to do that was not worth the $5 a trip dump drop. The pruner was $60. Last time I paid someone to prune my trees it was three times that cost. Mind you they did do higher up branches as well. I figure though, if I prune my trees twice a year, I shouldn't have to hire someone to do the higher up stuff until every fourth year. So I am saving a bundle and it really wasn't that hard.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6883 on: August 21, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »
Managed a $31 weekly grocery shop today, remembering that I'll be out of town two nights this week.  The $31 included needed ingredients to make crackers and kim chi, plus our ridiculous $6/dozen eggs.

Rummaged around and figured out how to repurpose some household items to accomplish a bit of horse training work I've never had to do before (new horse with a different type of brain than I'm accustomed to, which was drilled into me when I got planted in the dirt on Friday).  If this doesn't work, then it will probably mean $1,000 or so for some pro training, so hoping it does the trick; I've never taken well to eating dirt.

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6884 on: August 21, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
Was on my usual walk through (expensive) DC neighborhood and came across a house with a "take these - free" sign.  Included was a set of Global Revolution knives and a pizza slicer.  I took the set then Googled the knives when I got home.  Turns out they are really expensive!  They're also great knives. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6885 on: August 21, 2016, 02:16:18 PM »
Was on my usual walk through (expensive) DC neighborhood and came across a house with a "take these - free" sign.  Included was a set of Global Revolution knives and a pizza slicer.  I took the set then Googled the knives when I got home.  Turns out they are really expensive!  They're also great knives.

Wow, how lucky.:)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6886 on: August 21, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

Today we both stayed on the mountain all day.   Well, he did take the trash down.

I made a loaf of bread, cooked 2 pounds of brown rice and divided it into six meals' worth in the freezer, and cooked up a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters I got on sale for $.49 a pound a while back. That became meat for six meals, two very happy dogs (they got the cooking water once it cooled down – as far as they're concerned that's chicken tea), and will be  a good supply of bone broth as well after a few more hours in the crockpot with some vinegar to leach the bones. Once the broth is done, I'll put it in the freezer and continue the happy dog trend for a couple more nights, feeding them what I strain from the broth.

If I get the energy, I'm going to make myself a batch of two ingredient cookies in a little while.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6887 on: August 21, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »
*lots of tea at home

*made a chicken from deep freeze in instant pot for dinner. Also made a loaf of French bread to go with it

*kids drinking homemade ice tea

*went for a little drive for a break from the kids. Bought nothing. Scoped out local real estate.

*watching closing ceremonies on tv with antenna

*made chai from scratch for company tonite with spices I had on hand.

*making dinner for family even though I really want to not cook and would love to go out for dinner

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:46:23 PM by 1967mama »

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6888 on: August 21, 2016, 07:09:00 PM »
*3rd straight no spend day.
*Ginger syrup.  Hopefully a replacement for the super spice craft sodas that I'm obsessed with.   Will pair with sparkling water from my sodastream.
*Tray of candied ginger (by-product of the ginger syrup) along with 8 trays of cucumber chips in the dehydrator right now.
*Small batch of apricot ginger (also leftover from the syrup) preserves made with the last of the apricots from my tree.
*Still haven't decided what to do with the bowl of smallish peaches I also picked today, but will likely be super chunky preserves for mixing with yogurt or dropping on pancakes or french toast.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #6889 on: August 21, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Volunteered at a local community garden/park, and as a result, brought home several pounds of pears.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6890 on: August 22, 2016, 01:53:32 AM »
New apartment was missing a powerpoint cover when we moved in. I tried ignoring it, but it bugged me, so I removed the cover from an outlet hidden behind the TV unit to cover the visible one.

Scored an $8 transit refund after being incorrectly charged last week.

Made an extra trip at lunch to lower my transport costs for the week (days are numbered for that particular loophole).

Removed five things from my eBay watch list that I don't need.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6891 on: August 22, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
I make latch hook rugs, which requires thousands of 2.5-inch pieces of yarn. Used to buy it precut for $2-3 per package (320 pc. i.e., 22 yd.), but none of the craft stores carry it anymore. I was going to buy it precut online, but the shipping was insane for some reason (I mean--it's yarn; it's not like it's heavy). So I went to the craft store and bought yarnballs for ~$4 per roll--each roll about 400 yd. Much better value--about 15 times the yarn for a dollar more. It doesn't take very long to cut the pieces--I don't know why I bought the precut for so long.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6892 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
I cut my husband's hair last night. I tried doing the fading slightly differently than normal and was very pleased with how it turned out.

I planned the route of our morning walk to look for more wild elderberry bushes. No luck, but I found some Blackeyed Susans and a ton of Queen Anne's Lace that I picked to brighten up the kitchen table.

I don't expect to go out the rest of the day so it should be a no-spend day. :-)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6893 on: August 22, 2016, 04:36:46 PM »
Gave up eye make-up wipes in favour of liquid eye make-up remover and cloth wipes. 60 cents for the cloth and $6 for the bottle which should last me a couple of months versus $7 a month for a packet of disposables.

The next step will be making, rather than buying, the liquid.

I also arrived at work half an hour early to scan and shred (personal) documents, which saves me buying the gear myself.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6894 on: August 22, 2016, 05:28:59 PM »
Gave up eye make-up wipes in favour of liquid eye make-up remover and cloth wipes. 60 cents for the cloth and $6 for the bottle which should last me a couple of months versus $7 a month for a packet of disposables.

The next step will be making, rather than buying, the liquid.

I also arrived at work half an hour early to scan and shred (personal) documents, which saves me buying the gear myself.

I've always* used baby oil, but then you might have to use disposable wipes. Or toilet paper.

*By which I mean, "the two times a year I wear makeup, and the one of those that I remember to remove it."

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6895 on: August 22, 2016, 07:48:03 PM »
prepaid my dental bill and got a 10% discount.

Romina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6896 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:15 AM »
I re-purposed an old mobile as a GPS for my car, and from flowers given as a present, am making potpourri and some crafts.

AlwaysLearningToSave

• Bristles
« Reply #6897 on: August 23, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
prepaid my dental bill and got a 10% discount.

I'm always amazed how many places you can get a significant discount for paying cash at time of service. 

DCKatie09

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6898 on: August 23, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »
My school always over-orders boxed lunches for Orientation week, so that's been my lunch yesterday and today, plus dinner for me and DH yesterday, plus I've stocked up my snack drawer with several bags of chips and a couple apples. Very helpful.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6899 on: August 23, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Participated in a marketing focus group at work and got a $5 gift certificate for the cafeteria. Will be at work 3 days this week. Weekend leftovers will take care of 2 lunches, and the gift certificate will handle #3.