Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020782 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8850 on: May 09, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Cycled to work.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8851 on: May 09, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »
I've been working on final projects for my classes, so I was unable to make time for this week's batch cooking. I would normally have a soup to eat for lunch at work, but not this week. I was going to just buy soup at work today, but I looked in the fridge this morning and realized I had a cucumber, artichokes in olive oil, tomatoes, and spring mix. Work soup out; salad and banana in.

ETA: Well that didn't work as intended. My salad needed help, so I bought a couple boiled eggs from the snackbar. They cost more than what the soup would have cost. Oops.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 11:55:17 AM by Inaya »

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #8852 on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
Snow has finally melted, and the river bank that had previously flooded the bike path has subsided: biked to work for the first day of the season today, yay!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8853 on: May 09, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »
I didn't go out for lunch today, and instead ate leftovers and what I already had at my desk. ....not at all what I wanted, but it saved me about $10-15, so it's a small win for financial responsibility.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8854 on: May 09, 2017, 11:32:20 AM »
Ate PBJ sandwich for lunch.  Everyone eats food from home.  We've pretty much settled into this groove.  It's nice.  Saves $$ and we don't even think about it any more.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8855 on: May 09, 2017, 05:59:41 PM »
Biked to the grocery store to buy...  toilet paper and laundry soap in bulk.  It's three miles mostly uphill on the way there, but zoom zoom on the way back.

What was I thinking?!  Barely got the stuff home in the pannier.  Picture it...   50 rolls of toilet paper and the large laundry soap -- on a bike.     

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8856 on: May 09, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
Managed to put together enough food from what we have on hand to supplement DH's one remaining MRE to get him through 2.5 days of eating out of his pack: homemade granola and powdered milk, homemade bread and peanut butter, a bunch of apples, some assorted dried fruit and nuts, and a bag of Starburst jelly beans. Not nutritionally optimal, but it's only for a few days and it's way less processed than MREs.

I made a giant casserole using 1lb of ground beef and a metric shit ton of veggies. Like, filled both a 9x13 pan that I cooked tonight and an 8x8 pan that I stuck in the freezer. I didn't cost it out but I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't come in much above $2/serving even using 100% grassfed beef.

Cut DH's hair.

Made broth from last night's chicken carcass and veggie scraps.

Biked to the grocery store to buy...  toilet paper and laundry soap in bulk.  It's three miles mostly uphill on the way there, but zoom zoom on the way back.

What was I thinking?!  Barely got the stuff home in the pannier.  Picture it...   50 rolls of toilet paper and the large laundry soap -- on a bike.     

This is awesome!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8857 on: May 09, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »
Shaved a poodle.  I'm down to a couple of hours, not bad for a standard.  I still need to clean up his ears and legs a little, but the thick winter coat is finally gone.  I'm sure he'll appreciate it when we go running in the morning.  Both poodles still have ridiculous head and tail poofs that look funny as hell (think 80s rock star) and bring me great joy.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8858 on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:35 PM »
* Used $5 off $40 coupon from grocery circular. Stocked up on ingredients for soap-making, wild-boar sausage on clearance, yeast, baking chocolate and lentils.

* Made 12 portions of baby food (carrot, pear). This should be a savings of $0.50-$1 per serving compared to buying pre-made baby food.

* Brought my own bags to the supermarket instead of forgetting and having to buy bags, saved $0.40.

* Made my own coffee at home instead of buying a cup at a shop, saved $2.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:47:21 PM by jengod »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8859 on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »
Washing machine crapped out on us yesterday while full of nasty water (washing the dogs' bedding at the time). So we baled, then I hit up Google to see how to get the front panel off (invisible spring clips), and he unclogged the pump while I ran the shop vac to deal with minor flooding.

Was a pain in the ass, but this morning we once more have a functioning washer over 15 years of age and dry concrete floors. Cost wasn't free because of power for the shop vac and dehumidifier (the water seeped under one wall into the next room, so dehumidifier was called for), but nothing else, not even a part.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8860 on: May 10, 2017, 04:44:38 AM »
Washing machine crapped out on us yesterday while full of nasty water (washing the dogs' bedding at the time). So we baled, then I hit up Google to see how to get the front panel off (invisible spring clips), and he unclogged the pump while I ran the shop vac to deal with minor flooding.

Was a pain in the ass, but this morning we once more have a functioning washer over 15 years of age and dry concrete floors. Cost wasn't free because of power for the shop vac and dehumidifier (the water seeped under one wall into the next room, so dehumidifier was called for), but nothing else, not even a part.

Awesome! 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8861 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
I've been working on final projects for my classes, so I was unable to make time for this week's batch cooking. I would normally have a soup to eat for lunch at work, but not this week. I was going to just buy soup at work today, but I looked in the fridge this morning and realized I had a cucumber, artichokes in olive oil, tomatoes, and spring mix. Work soup out; salad and banana in.

ETA: Well that didn't work as intended. My salad needed help, so I bought a couple boiled eggs from the snackbar. They cost more than what the soup would have cost. Oops.

Same as yesterday, except I brought my own eggs from home.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8862 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »

Same as yesterday, except I brought my own eggs from home.
Nice!

I packed my breakfast (overnight oats), lunch (leftovers from last night and the night before), and a snack.
Ran with the dog this morning.  We're both tired and happy.  The only cost is the wear and tear on my workout gear.
Made a tennis date with my DH.  Playing on the public courts in our neighborhood.
Dropped off some grocery game pieces at a friend's house while walking the dog.  She gave me a few instant win items that she wasn't going to redeem.  FREE FOOD!
Returned an item that didn't fit.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8863 on: May 10, 2017, 10:37:47 AM »
Ugh, got down to the last pound of screaming deal butter, purchased over the Christmas Holidays. Saw that Grocery Outlet had one name brand on sale 2#/$6, but the other nearby location had a different name brand on sale 2#/$5. The first GO has Senior Discount Mornings twice a month, so I rushed there with 20 minutes to spare. Found large cans of sliced olives for 99 cents (less 10%), so I bought 20 cans, because...homemade pizza and tacos.

Then cruised over to the other GO, which does not have Senior Mornings, alas. They had both brands of sale butter, so I bought 20 pounds of the less expensive brand. The difference was that the cheaper stuff was unsalted, which is my preference. Happily, everything fit easily into the freezer because I've been working on eating it down since January. Both GO's are near 99 Cents Only Stores, so hit up those, too. I dropped off a box of old shoes* at the adjacent GW and picked up a week's worth of mail as I was passing by the Post Office. Errand batching for the win!

*I sorted my shoes for the "Odd Chore A Day" Challenge and the box had been in my car for two weeks. Glad it's gone.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #8864 on: May 10, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
Asked my boss to go to a course for basic woodworking and, if it's within my capabilities the follow up course for craftsman. This is in no way related to my job but because we have a personal fund for individual improvement (also for possible future jobs) the boss will pay and is even supportive of me following the course :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8865 on: May 10, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
Adjusted our thermostat schedule, so hopefully we will barely have to heat, and not cool the house all month- hopefully. Weather lately has brought us some very cold nights and some hot (for us) days. So new schedule is just a pretty low minimum all the time, that way if it is very cold it will heat up a bit, but not so much so that heat gains then push the house too hot.

Balancing act, but I'm hopeful that this, plus ample window/blinds shuffling, will ensure a comfortable house this month =)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8866 on: May 10, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »
Persuaded my wife to eat some babybell cheese on the way to her coffee date with a friend.  That way she's not tempted to buy a pricey yogurt or whatever while she's there. 

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #8867 on: May 10, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
Executed some credit card arbitrage with a trusted company...transferring the debt on our RV at 4.5% (with bank) to a 0% for 12 months credit card deal (with same bank) for a $200 transfer fee.  Within the year we will pay it all off, and will have saved $1000 in interest. 

$1000 savings for 10 minutes of work. 

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8868 on: May 10, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
-- Finally managed a dog treat recipe that doesn't crumble!  Should cost 1/3 of what we had been spending on our training treats, and no allergens for the pooches.

-- Sold 75.00 worth of stuff at our shared rummage sale.  Not too shabby!

-- Got inspired and am minimizing even further.  I have so much junk up on buy and sell sites right now...

-- Got 25% off of my dr. office appointment today because our insurance changed to health sharing.

-- Trying to cut down on food waste!  Making more smoothies and such to use up misc fruits and veggies.

-- Learned a new recipe for a chicken salad that cuts the shredded chicken with romaine and other veggies.  Several meals from one small chicken breast?  Yes please!

-- Set up a second thrifted drying rack to help cut back on drying costs.  One load can now be completely dried without the dryer.

-- Packed lunches and coffees all week so far. 

-- Been avoiding buying alcohol.  Trying to cut it almost entirely out of the grocery budget except for special events/bbqs.  Better for our waistlines, better for our budgets....

-- Got a free bag of dog food via our brand's loyalty program.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8869 on: May 10, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »

Then cruised over to the other GO, which does not have Senior Mornings, alas. They had both brands of sale butter, so I bought 20 pounds of the less expensive brand.

So....  does your family consume 20 lbs of butter since christmas (5 lbs a month?)   Tell more of the wonders coming out of your house!

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #8870 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:48 PM »
I brought lunch to work today. Again. :)  I've brought lunch every day for the last 6 months.  This is a big deal for me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8871 on: May 11, 2017, 01:51:22 AM »
I brought lunch to work today. Again. :)  I've brought lunch every day for the last 6 months.  This is a big deal for me.

I have also eaten packed lunch since somewhere in January. With an occasional miss when I packed my lunch, but forgot to bring it to work.

I walked to work today (8 km).

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #8872 on: May 11, 2017, 06:45:42 AM »
I contacted my Telco to cancel the $15/month insurance on our mobiles. Times 2.

Savings $30/month.

Why didn't I do this months ago?

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8873 on: May 11, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »
Fixed our dishwasher woth the help of a youtube video. Also planted some leftover potatoes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8874 on: May 11, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Changed where I buy a medication, so it's $68 per month instead of ~$85/month. Plus, we get 4% back now, vs 1%.

ETA: and a second one. Need another bike stand. We built the last one, material cost ~$10-15. Bed Bath and Beyond has one for $20, and we had a $5 off 1 item coupon. With that price, and the smaller size, it was going to be worth it to buy pre-made. Went in, and they needed to order it for us (not in stock). They were going to charge us a $5.99 shipping charge! So we said never mind, we'll add on to our existing one. And they waived the fee! The guy helping us said it was corporate policy- they're only allowed to waive the fee if it will endanger the sale. So, I guess a tip to know for the future there!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:34:25 PM by Bracken_Joy »

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8875 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Two things to share today.  First, I was distracted this morning as I got ready for work and didn't notice that I had on one black shoe and one gray shoe.  The office manager pointed it out when I got to school.  Rather than drive home and trade a shoe I decided to just go with it.  Everyone needed a good laugh today.  Second, I didn't pack a lunch this morning so rather than pick up fast food I raided the treat box in my classroom so I'm eating popcorn and Jr. Mints for lunch today.  So glad I only have four more weeks of school left.  I need a break.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8876 on: May 12, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Changed where I buy a medication, so it's $68 per month instead of ~$85/month. Plus, we get 4% back now, vs 1%.

ETA: and a second one. Need another bike stand. We built the last one, material cost ~$10-15. Bed Bath and Beyond has one for $20, and we had a $5 off 1 item coupon. With that price, and the smaller size, it was going to be worth it to buy pre-made. Went in, and they needed to order it for us (not in stock). They were going to charge us a $5.99 shipping charge! So we said never mind, we'll add on to our existing one. And they waived the fee! The guy helping us said it was corporate policy- they're only allowed to waive the fee if it will endanger the sale. So, I guess a tip to know for the future there!
That's ridiculous. If I was okay with paying shipping, I wouldn't have hauled my butt to your store. I could have ordered without even putting pants on! I'm glad you got it waived. Thanks for the tip!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #8877 on: May 12, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Picked up two twin mattresses and box springs off Nextdoor today.

Had I bought them new, they would have cost $6,700.

Mind. Blown.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8878 on: May 12, 2017, 07:14:29 PM »
Staying with a friend this weekend. He eats out a lot and doesn't usually keep food in the house, so I brought some supplies (bread, milk, soup, fruit).

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #8879 on: May 12, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »
I went grocery shopping today with a small-ish list.  The store had a coupon for $5 off if you spent $50.  Unilever had a sale as well until the end of the month - spend $30 and get $10 back.  I wasn't going to buy anything Unilever today, but when I surveyed items in my cart, I realized that whatever was there wouldn't add to $50 and I wouldn't be able to use the $5 off coupon.  So I bought $35 worth of soap, some 30 bricks, which put the total spent over $50.  The grand total without the soap would have been $38.  With the soap and the coupons kicking in it came to $58 - and we now have two years' supply of a brand of soap we typically use.

Last week, DH did something clever.  He was shopping for airline tickets for MIL to visit us in the summer.  She typically would come on a Wednesday, stay three weeks, and leave on a Wednesday, which would allow our school-age child to spend 2 weeks at home with her .  This time, I suggested we could keep the child at home with her for three weeks of MIL flew out Monday July 3 and stayed until Monday July 24 - and he agreed, getting the ticket for the same price and saving us  a week of summer camp costs.   Looks like DH is coming on board with the money saving thing, which has me smiling.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8880 on: May 13, 2017, 12:43:59 AM »
On friday afternoon I took home leftover fruit, pears. Cooked them and severd as veggies at home. Also bought some cheap vegetables forvthexrest of the week.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8881 on: May 13, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
I forgot to defrost something for dinner and got home late from an appointment.  DD asked for take out and I said no we will figure something out.  Then I remembered I bought spicy, faux chicken Boca burgers at Aldi this week and stowed them in the basement freezer.  I chopped carrots drizzled olive oil salt and pepper and baked them into carrot fries and made a garlic aioli for dipping.  Topped the burgers with cheese and arugula YUM!  I'm so glad that I grabbed those burgers that I almost talked myself out of because they weren't a need.  If I didn't have the burgers I would have made breakfast for dinner ;)     

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8882 on: May 13, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »
On hot days, my garden has been drying out too quickly, so I want to mulch the garden. Rather than go buy an entire bale of straw, I checked with my ILs- they have a 1/4 bale that sat outside over the winter. Perfect =) It'll hold moisture and already be a little on the composted side ;)They'll bring it with them next time they visit. Yay free mulch!

Took the lunch session of an out-of-town work training. Meant I avoided traffic leaving, they served lunch (kinda, haha, but I didn't starve), and mainly avoided traffic on the way home. Less stress, I was able to average 42mpg, and I didn't have to buy a lunch.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8883 on: May 13, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
Chainsawed a pile of treetrunks that were left on several places on our lot by the previous owner of our house. Chopped two thirds of it and put under a roof for free firewood the coming winter. One third left to chop tomorrow.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8884 on: May 13, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »
Our library has a lovely circulation desk that was hand made by a long-time patron and donor. It is two colors of wood with a granite top that compliments the architectural style of the building.

Someone from the county has decided it is not "ergonomically correct" and wants to get rid of it. "Not so fast..." the Friends' Group says. DH and I are headed there this afternoon to take a look at it. I met with several librarians this week to ask them about their concerns. We think we can configure it differently so that it addresses their needs and still functions as the lovely circulation desk it was lovingly built to be.

This won't save us money personally, but since we have our own act somewhat together, it's nice to be able to use our skills for the benefit of the community.

Maybe the County will then consider the pothole-riddled parking lot situation. Soon the giant potholes will be swallowing small children whole. The money for either "project" comes from the same pot.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8885 on: May 14, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »
I forgot to load the slow cooker this morning, but didn't need to spend on meals. And have put it on to make work lunches now

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8886 on: May 14, 2017, 09:43:20 PM »
Ate leftovers. Lots, and lots of leftovers.

Went to goodwill for some containers we wanted (fancy glass things to split spider plant starts into). While there, found a commercial salvage (aka new!) of a shirt I know I love, because I have 4 already. $3.99, and it's a color I didn't have. Score.

Had to run over to ILs house to measure a counter for them while they're out of town. Rode our bikes instead of driving.

Just mailed the card for mother's day, not my mom's gift, since she'll be visiting soon and it'll save on postage. Consumable mainly, so she won't have to take it back with her, and the other part is small. (I obviously let her know about the part waiting for her here).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8887 on: May 15, 2017, 01:44:07 AM »
Walked to work:  8400 steps 1 way. Will walk back in the afternoon. Skipped shower at home and showered at the office instead, washing my hair there with shampoo provided. Towel was also provided.
Yesterday at home, I dried one washing machine full of wash on a drying rack indoors.
The washed bed sheets however had to be dried in the tumble dry, because I don't have a drying rack for such long things indoors, in case of humid weather. Maybe I should buy one that can be hung above the stair case, because bed sheets take ages to dry in the tumble dry.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8888 on: May 15, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
I fixed a lamp!

Ok, "fixing" it involved prying off the broken switch and then supergluing it back on, nothing like re-wiring or anything.  But still, working lamp!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8889 on: May 15, 2017, 04:55:38 PM »
At 9.30pm last night my husband decided he needed a hair cut before going overseas for work. (Airport car came for him at 4am this morning.)

No worries. I got the clippers out and tidied him up, only took five minutes.

I'm getting better and he's getting more trusting, and the clippers have already paid themselves off and saved us a couple of hundred dollars.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8890 on: May 15, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »
At 9.30pm last night my husband decided he needed a hair cut before going overseas for work. (Airport car came for him at 4am this morning.)

No worries. I got the clippers out and tidied him up, only took five minutes.

I'm getting better and he's getting more trusting, and the clippers have already paid themselves off and saved us a couple of hundred dollars.

Yes! I just did this yesterday, cut husband's hair before a Big Deal work conference this week. So nice to not have to worry about scheduling anything or going anywhere. I was a little worried the close-work buzzer wouldn't have enough battery to tidy up his neckline, but we made it!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8891 on: May 16, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
My temperature gauge hasn't been working so I placed an order on eBay for a temperature sensor and sender ($12 total).
Long story short I happen to have a 2nd cluster so I hooked that one up just to check, and the temperature gauge seems to work on it! And I can swap out just the temperature gauge and not the whole cluster so double win! I was worried about having incorrect mileage with a new cluster. Canceled eBay order.

Hopefully no more paranoia of my car overheating and not knowing about it.

Now to figure out why the check engine light came on today...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8892 on: May 16, 2017, 10:46:57 AM »
I've started travel hacking using the Travel Miles 101 course
Checking out books from the library.  However, I did make a monetary donation to the local library--the amount that I would have spent on books based on my spending from last year. 
Packed lunch from leftovers
Used stuff from pantry for breakfast

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8893 on: May 16, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »
I returned every piece of clothing to Kohl's and Target that was given to my daughter and still had a gift receipt. I now have a $90 credit to Kohl's and $40 to Target. When than if I ever actually have to buy this girl clothes I'll be able to do that. It was really hard to do because some of the outfits were so so so cute but I have enough hand-me-downs to dress a baseball team so I certainly didn't need anything new.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8894 on: May 16, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »
Found a dime on the ground; it will be rolled with the other coin for savings.

Drinking lots of water; brought coffee to work

Wasn't sure he would agree to do the work (its busy season for his job), but husband has decided to do the work of rebuilding our deck himself rather than hiring a contractor.  We have friends that can help, and I will help where I can.  Will save us a minimum of 2k.  Although it will certainly take many more weeks to get it done...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8895 on: May 16, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
My DH is sewing himself a replacement for his goretex coat that is getting old and bad. Goretex cloth can be baught on the internet from a German store, only you cannot choose the colour. I'm pretty sure thecresult will be a neatly sewed coat, with slightly funny colours.

I baked two breads, but not to save money.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8896 on: May 16, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
Got an email notification that a mail-order exchange item had been sent out.  Problem:  I sent back the incorrect item and told them I wanted to return it for a refund.  They promised me a refund and are routing the FedEx package back to their shop.

Didn't plan a lunch due to a shitty evening yesterday, but had to run an errand during work, so came home and made some eggs instead of going out for a burrito.

Mother Nature did it, not me, but it's been raining all day, so we should be able to delay watering the lawn for another week.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8897 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:29 PM »
Put the stale end of the sourdough in the freezer for the next time I make panzanella (ella, ella).

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8898 on: May 16, 2017, 05:09:19 PM »
I finished work early, so I'm taking a cheap, slow and relaxing bus back instead of a fast expensive train

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8899 on: May 16, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
Bag of flour split while in shopping cart; asked the checker to return it unless she was able to give me a discount. She marked it down by $5 and wrapped it in a plastic bag so no more flour would leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk