Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020885 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2600 on: February 22, 2015, 06:56:55 AM »
@horsepoor - I want to grow sweet potatoes this summer, have some slips ordered.  Is there anything special to think about re growing them?  There is a gardening thread over on Throw Down the Gauntlet if you would be willing to post there, others might also be interested.

@Frugalconfederate - Congratulations on the nail clipping!  It gets easier as you go, especially if you give lots of treats.  I started out with DD feeding tiny bits of real cheese to the dog as I was trimming the nails, now I can do it on my own with a treat (big chunk of baked liver) at the end of the process.  And the dog doesn't hate me either, she is too busy reminding me about the treat

@1967mama - I find cutting the lawn to be zen - I have an acre, so use a small riding lawn tractor (very old, small, with an amazing almost brand new grass cutter).  Around and around, enjoying the sun and the breeze and the smell of new-cut grass. My Mom found ironing to be meditative - I hate it, and buy clothes that don't need it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2601 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
@horsepoor - I want to grow sweet potatoes this summer, have some slips ordered.  Is there anything special to think about re growing them?  There is a gardening thread over on Throw Down the Gauntlet if you would be willing to post there, others might also be interested.

I think someone with more experience than me already posted in that thread about sweet potatoes.  Last year I grew the slips from an organic potato from the store.  They just seem to need plenty of heat and lack of competition.  I had them interplanted with okra and eggplant, and the ones that had more space on the edge produced much better.  They seem pretty easy though; I just mulch them with straw and let them go until the vines get killed by frost in the fall.  They're a little tricky to dig, and I've had issues with storing them (I think it's lack of humidity here).  Apparently the leaves are also edible, but I haven't tried.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2602 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:01 AM »
25 pounds of dried pinto beans put into a bucket/storage.  Supply should last about a year, I think.  (Cost $15.99)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2603 on: February 22, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
I just got a coupon for a free AMC theatres movie ticket and free soda using a bunch of Coke Rewards points I had been saving up.  I had all my friends and family giving me their bottle caps for months.  I think I will save the ticket to go see that ridiculous "Furious 7" movie coming out in April.  That looks like a lot of stupid fun. :-)

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2604 on: February 22, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »
I've started a batch of DIY almond milk today by soaking it for 18 hours. Almond milk works out to be 50% cheaper to make myself compared to the store bought stuff. Now I just hope it will taste good, but I'm pretty sure I can beat the taste of the premade drink.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2605 on: February 22, 2015, 02:18:07 PM »
Put my tomato seeds to germinate today along with the squash, parsley and romaine lettuce.  I have done all the others before but this is the first year I have tried tomatoes.  I normally buy two or three tomato plants because I cringe at the price.  I made ten hills of three seeds each.  So if I get one good plant from each hill I will have ten tomato plants for about what I used to pay for one.  I will have more tomatoes than any one woman should be allowed!

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #2606 on: February 22, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
Borrowed hiking books from a co-worker for an upcoming trip. They even have post-it notes identifying best hikes.
I mis-read this as boots and couldn't figure out why your co-worker wouldn't have removed their post-its first (quite apart from it probably not being a great idea to use someone else's boots anyway).

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that misread it! I was imagining yellow post-it notes, one on top of each foot, flapping a bit as you hiked.

No, in this part of the world, we put bells on our hiking boots, not post-it notes. Post-it notes are not known to warn the bears they need to get out of the way.
Ha Ha.  I also misread this post & had a mental picture of yellow post it notes on shoes!

maricela

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2607 on: February 22, 2015, 06:55:08 PM »

Put my tomato seeds to germinate today along with the squash, parsley and romaine lettuce.  I have done all the others before but this is the first year I have tried tomatoes.  I normally buy two or three tomato plants because I cringe at the price.  I made ten hills of three seeds each.  So if I get one good plant from each hill I will have ten tomato plants for about what I used to pay for one.  I will have more tomatoes than any one woman should be allowed!
I'd strongly suggest starting tomatoes in pots.  They need to be potted up a couple of times, deeper each time, to get good deep roots that will hold up their height.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #2608 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
Did some freezer cooking this weekend: 4 pounds of shredded slow-cooked chuck roast and 2 pounds of crockpot refried beans. That will save us money down the road on nights we don't want to cook.
Also cooked a big pot of black bean soup and cornbread muffins for work lunches this week.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2609 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:12 AM »
Saturday I got my first e-book from my library (Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood)! Finished it in 24 hours, but I resisted the urge to get the final book in the series, Maddaddam, on Amazon. Instead put a hold on one of the library's seven copies of the e-book; I'm already at the top of the hold list!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2610 on: February 23, 2015, 06:44:27 AM »
1. Navigated my way around on the bus system in Cancun rather than taking a taxi or tour.

2. Swapped paperbacks at the hotel to keep up my reading supply.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2611 on: February 23, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »
Thanks, your experience tells me to give them a raised bed all to themselves and be sure to mulch/weed well.  Some things do well inter-planted - I grow basil on the south side of my tomatoes, for example.  But I will let the sweet potatoes have the bed all to themselves.  Heat - not much I can do about that.

Tricky to dig?  I hadn't seen that issue before.  I had thought I would just start at the edge of the raised bed (it has a wood frame) and loosen soil gradually inwards, removing potatoes as I go.  Did you find they clustered under where the stem came out of the soil? Or were they all over the place and hard to predict where to dig?

To stay OT, gardening = lower food bill.

I think someone with more experience than me already posted in that thread about sweet potatoes.  Last year I grew the slips from an organic potato from the store.  They just seem to need plenty of heat and lack of competition.  I had them interplanted with okra and eggplant, and the ones that had more space on the edge produced much better.  They seem pretty easy though; I just mulch them with straw and let them go until the vines get killed by frost in the fall.  They're a little tricky to dig, and I've had issues with storing them (I think it's lack of humidity here).  Apparently the leaves are also edible, but I haven't tried.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2612 on: February 23, 2015, 07:26:06 AM »
Cut my own hair yesterday. I think I'm a convert. Hooray for never needing to go to the hairdresser again.

Slightly unorganised this morning but I still managed to get my lunch together to bring to work with me. I made a huge pot of pumpkin soup last weekend and it just seemed to keep going for ever and ever and I was a bit sick of it (but no room in the freezer for keep some for another time) so yesterday I added two cups of boiling water, a cup of rice, some turkey pieces and a couple of spoonfuls of Thai curry paste. Had that for dinner yesterday, lunch today and still have one more big portion leftover. Also made an apple tart to bring to the pub quiz last night which used up the last of the older apples I had in my fruit basket and left me enough pastry over to do a small quiche this evening for dinner.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2613 on: February 23, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »

I'd strongly suggest starting tomatoes in pots.  They need to be potted up a couple of times, deeper each time, to get good deep roots that will hold up their height.

This is good to know.  Thanks.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I have my bread rising and a pot of tea made with loose tea from the Oriental grocery store brewing and I am wearing my wool socks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:52:47 AM by 2ndTimer »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2614 on: February 23, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »
Thanks, your experience tells me to give them a raised bed all to themselves and be sure to mulch/weed well.  Some things do well inter-planted - I grow basil on the south side of my tomatoes, for example.  But I will let the sweet potatoes have the bed all to themselves.  Heat - not much I can do about that.

Tricky to dig?  I hadn't seen that issue before.  I had thought I would just start at the edge of the raised bed (it has a wood frame) and loosen soil gradually inwards, removing potatoes as I go.  Did you find they clustered under where the stem came out of the soil? Or were they all over the place and hard to predict where to dig?

To stay OT, gardening = lower food bill.

They are clustered more or less where the stem is, but I ended up finding ones that I missed when I was working on the bed a few weeks after harvesting the crop.  I find them harder to dig up without damaging vs. regular potatoes due to the oblong shape, and maybe because they seem to form a little deeper in the soil. 

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2615 on: February 23, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
Changed hair dressers to one that cuts my hair for way cheaper.... True! I can cut mine for free if I do it myself but I find it very pampering to get it done by the stylist. Since I do everything else (facial, Mani, pedi) at home, this is my splurge item. I used to spend $80 every two months. Now it's $30 every two months.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2616 on: February 23, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
Also getting our baby's high chair off of craigslist. Savings: $50

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2617 on: February 23, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Good to know!  I hope to be bragging about yield come September.  If I didn't know other people have done it successfully, I would think it was impossible to grow a heat-loving southern crop like sweet potatoes here in the Great White North.  We are back to -20C today after a tropical -3C yesterday, so thinking about gardens is a promise of spring and an exercise in optimism.

They are clustered more or less where the stem is, but I ended up finding ones that I missed when I was working on the bed a few weeks after harvesting the crop.  I find them harder to dig up without damaging vs. regular potatoes due to the oblong shape, and maybe because they seem to form a little deeper in the soil.

Ganon91

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2618 on: February 23, 2015, 01:42:21 PM »
Bought a 13 lb Turkey for 90c per pound.
Saved 30$ off sticker price.

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2619 on: February 23, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
Mended a pair of winter gloves.

Sent away for a free water conservation kit from my utility company. We'll be getting a free low flow shower head, low flow faucet aerators, and pipe tape for free in the mail. We had a low flow shower head on the main bath, but my son just switched to showers and his bathroom has a standard shower head. Noticed an increase in the bill.

Also did some detective work and realized one of the toilets was leaking, which might also explain the bill increase. Repaired it with a dual flush conversion kit, which should help lower the bill even more.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2620 on: February 23, 2015, 08:36:25 PM »
* Used $85 Costco rebate voucher to stock up on boring household stuff like garbage bags, dishwasher soap. tp, etc.  I really waned to buy something fun instead, but no - practicality won out :)

*  homemade lunch of potatoes and vegan "sausage" - so yum!

*  A package of bread rolls that I will not use anytime soon went into the freezer. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #2621 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:18 PM »
* 25% off + $2 coupon at drug store for things we needed anyway.
* Scanned a bunch of work-related notes, then harvested one-side-printed paper to use in printer. Now have more than a ream's worth of scrap paper to re-use.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2622 on: February 23, 2015, 11:56:35 PM »
1) Picked up "The Magical Art of Cleaning Up" at the library which I've been itching to read (based on all the positive feedback from the forum). I ordered it about 5 weeks ago, so I didn't have to wait too long. Old me would definitely have gotten it here in a day or so via Amazon, or even quicker at my local bookstore!

2) Asked my physiotherapist if I could come every 3 weeks instead of every 2 weeks. I'm trying to stay under my 12 visits per year that are covered by extended health. Rehabilitating from surgery. She said yes.

3) Made rouladen for dinner. This is a cut of flank steak that came with our side of beef. I didn't really know what to do with it, so I googled some recipes and tried the one that had the most positive reviews. My family really liked it. It was different, but pleasant. I made all 9. I don't think there are any more in the freezer, so this will become a once a year treat.

4) Drank lots of tea at home. Made tea in travel mugs to take to a meeting tonight that my husband and I had to attend, but forgot it on the counter :-(

5) Was in bed, and remembered a roast was thawing on the kitchen counter. When I got down there, someone else had put it in the fridge for me. Good kids!

6) Ordered new sneakers online for one of my teens .. they were BOGO! yay!

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #2623 on: February 24, 2015, 05:47:31 AM »
Yesterday:

Paid for my tag in person saving a $1.50 mail in fee.  $26.50 for the ol'Dodge truck. 

Bought my groceries there in the same tiny town not making a second longer trek (gas dollars) to the bigger store that I usually shop.  Not as much variety in tiny town, but that always seems to save me $$s at the checkout.  Only 1 item on the menu/list that wasn't available there and I'll catch that to/from Mom's house in the major metro later in the week.

Tiny town has a scratch n' dent grocery where I sometimes shop when I'm there.  What they offer varies, but I got some meat & low carb drink mixes which would've cost about twice that elsewhere.  The have a lot of 'high carb' offerings which we are eschewing at the moment, so results were slim there this time.

Made homemade low-carb pizza at home w/a salad & glass o' inexpensive wine (my carb splurge for the week).  Delicious.

Hung clothes around the woodstove to dry as normal.

Decided to return a part of a birthday gift purchase to the tune of $9ish.  On reviewing my budget I hadn't allotted as much as I spent AND I was in serious doubt if they would even use this item.  So, I'm taking it back!  It's an $8.99 + change(tax) refund.  The other part will suffice and still be a very nice gift.

Cable was shut off early - we had decided to cut it off when our prepaid for the month usage was up on the 11th of March, however, yesterday's call to Dish to discuss it found out that there would be a $20 worth of charges to mail back their boxes, so while we still had $32 credit, we just cut it off last night and will get a $12 refund.  NO MORE CABLE!!!!  yEEE=HAW!!!  $55.00 a month savings.  Will be looking at Netflix, but probably won't even get that.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2624 on: February 24, 2015, 06:55:42 AM »
Yesterday:

Cable was shut off early - we had decided to cut it off when our prepaid for the month usage was up on the 11th of March, however, yesterday's call to Dish to discuss it found out that there would be a $20 worth of charges to mail back their boxes, so while we still had $32 credit, we just cut it off last night and will get a $12 refund.  NO MORE CABLE!!!!  yEEE=HAW!!!  $55.00 a month savings.  Will be looking at Netflix, but probably won't even get that.

YouTube and Hulu both have some decent legal free content.  Lots of old movies.  YouTube and Amazon and iTunes allow you to stream/rent an individual movie for a couple dollars.  Of course there are physical libraries too... I found I never watched my " money's worth" on Netflix, so by the movie makes more sense for me. 

On topic. Its snowing.  Again.  Tenth day snowed in.  I'm snuggled in bed with the house at 50 degrees.  Eventually I'll get up and turn the heat up but I'm in no rush...

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #2625 on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
PMG - yes I like that idea and it's what we already discussed in family meeting.  We go by the library regularly anyway and I've already paid my taxes that support it.  No need to duplicate the expense! :) We already do check out DVDs from there anyway. There are four adults living here and everyone has their own small collection of DVDs already and we calculated that there were appx. 300 of them already in house - one son has the bulk of them.  If we get tired of those and the library ones everyone can request them for BD/Christmas gifts or buy their own. 

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2626 on: February 24, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Used my $375 Costco rebate to buy two pairs of prescription eyeglasses, which I then submitted receipts for to my FSA (to get additional tax savings).  Also, submitted the mileage to Costco eye clinic as a medical mileage on my FSA since that was the primary purpose of the trip.

While at Costco returned my malfunctioning TurboTax software ($50 back) and bought a few other staples with the balance of my rebate.

Did I tell how much I love Costco?  Especially for eyeglasses and no hassle returns.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2627 on: February 24, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
Used the stairs instead of the elevators, even outside in the cold!  Not a direct money-saver, per se, but a good way to condition myself for times when there is an otherwise "inconvenient" money-saving option (eg, biking in the snow!)

KD

• Stubble
« Reply #2628 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Looking at the bank account this a.m. and caught an overcharge by internet provider.  Had Hubs call and they backed off the $30ish dollars that they 'so sorry' overcharged us.  Ugggh.  Does anyone else feel like you have to be on constant alert lest someone will always be trying to get in your pockets?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2629 on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Checked the newspaper before I went to the grocery store this morning.  I do my major shopping at Grocery Outlet but to get there I have to pass three other stores each one with one or two great loss leaders.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2630 on: February 25, 2015, 03:05:01 AM »
Went past a new grocery store on the way back from a friends place to get milk - swung through the bakery aisle and scored! Got a carrot cake/loaf for 50c and 6 pack of fruit scones for 20c, took it all home, sliced up the cake (8pcs) and froze it all - this will last me for 2 weeks worth of work snacks - works out to 5c apiece!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2631 on: February 25, 2015, 04:52:40 AM »
I've made lasagne sauce in the morning instead of the afternoon. Because I know I never have enough time in the afternoon. So now I only need to put it together and in the oven. :)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2632 on: February 25, 2015, 05:28:02 AM »
I've made lasagne sauce in the morning instead of the afternoon. Because I know I never have enough time in the afternoon. So now I only need to put it together and in the oven. :)

Made some the other day. Not sure if I saved money doing it, but most of the ingredients were homemade. Pasta (4 eggs, 2.5 cups flour), sauce (Roma tomatoes, peeled, cooked, blended, canned), meat (store), ricotta (store, though apparently this one is a do at home), and tomato paste (store).

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2633 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:42 AM »
One of my two or three "eating out" times per month is getting Chinese takeout with a group of co-workers who do it once a month. I do it to be social. The portions are pretty large, but it's easy to stuff oneself and just eat it all. I saved money by exerting the discipline to only eat half of my lunch and save the other half to eat for lunch today. Better for my wallet and my waistline.

snshijuptr

• Stubble
« Reply #2634 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »
I was gone for Sunday night and my husband turned the heaters on to help him and our daughter sleep. I got back last night. Yesterday morning the house was still freezing so I was really careful yesterday to open the blinds and let the sun in and then open the windows in the afternoon when it got above 70. The house is much warmer this morning.

Southern California is too mild normally for artificial heating or cooling.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2635 on: February 25, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »
Looking at the bank account this a.m. and caught an overcharge by internet provider.  Had Hubs call and they backed off the $30ish dollars that they 'so sorry' overcharged us.  Ugggh.  Does anyone else feel like you have to be on constant alert lest someone will always be trying to get in your pockets?

Yes! We noticed at one point our cable company was adding $5 to each monthly charge.... ashamed to say I didn't catch it for a few months, we were out probably $50 or something by that point. Called the company and they "didn't know what happened" and were "so sorry". About 6 months later, we got another mystery $5 charge... nipped that in the bud! I have a very hard time believing this is a mistake when it happened twice...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2636 on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Showered at the gym this morning after my workout.  I'm almost out of shampoo, so I used the gym shampoo and conditioner. 

Carpooled to work.  I even did a little bit of work on the way.

Brewed tea with the cast-off tea bags my coworkers don't want.  We have a huge stash of tea at work.  I've decided I'm going to put aside my fancy tea for a while and start using up the free tea.

Filled up my water bottle.  I'm trying to drink 64 oz of water at work every day.

Packed breakfast.  Packed lunch from my freezer (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/not-butter-chicken/). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2637 on: February 25, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »
1) made a huge double batch of granola (16 c of oats)

2) baked some homemade treats (raspberry bars)

3) started fitness video that I bought and really liked it ("Classical Stretch" by Miranda Esmonde-White) So much cheaper than a gym!

4) planning to go to a 50% off homeschool curriculum sale for the 2nd time. Thought of a few more things that will be needed in 2-3 years.

cross3700

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2638 on: February 25, 2015, 10:53:45 AM »
I stumbled across this a while ago.  You need to have a hotmail or outlook.com email account, but it's easy enough to set one up if you don't. 

I signed up for Bing Rewards on the Bing webpage.  By doing searches using Bing on my PC and phone, I earn points toward $5 Amazon gift cards.  It takes me 1 - 2 minutes a day to do enough searches to max out on my points for the day.  I started in June and have gotten $80 in Amazon gift cards from it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2639 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
I stumbled across this a while ago.  You need to have a hotmail or outlook.com email account, but it's easy enough to set one up if you don't. 

I signed up for Bing Rewards on the Bing webpage.  By doing searches using Bing on my PC and phone, I earn points toward $5 Amazon gift cards.  It takes me 1 - 2 minutes a day to do enough searches to max out on my points for the day.  I started in June and have gotten $80 in Amazon gift cards from it.

Other ones in this category: Qmee and Swagbucks, though Swagbucks can take a bit more time. Feel free to sign up with or without the referrals if you want. Personally, Qmee is pretty nice in that it gives you random links to click on that give you 5-20 cents and you can pull it straight to paypal.

cross3700

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2640 on: February 25, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »

Other ones in this category: Qmee and Swagbucks, though Swagbucks can take a bit more time. Feel free to sign up with or without the referrals if you want. Personally, Qmee is pretty nice in that it gives you random links to click on that give you 5-20 cents and you can pull it straight to paypal.

Thanks for the info!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2641 on: February 25, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »

I did this the lazy way a couple of years back, and it worked out really well. I planted smallish tomato plants into 2-litre milk cartons with the top cut off, and then once a week added about an inch of extra soil as the plant grew taller. Got bitchin' huge tomato plants with great roots.

Also, I started them earlier than most gardening books suggest, which was definitely worth it.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2642 on: February 25, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
I did this the lazy way a couple of years back, and it worked out really well. I planted smallish tomato plants into 2-litre milk cartons with the top cut off, and then once a week added about an inch of extra soil as the plant grew taller. Got bitchin' huge tomato plants with great roots.

Great idea!  I will definitely do this.

In the spirit of this thread.  I used the warm, soapy water with which I had washed my thermos to hand wash 10 sandwich baggies.  Take that all those skeptics who say that washing baggies isn't worth it because you use so much extra soap and water!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2643 on: February 25, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
*  used coupons at the store for a couple of items (saved $2)
*  deposited a check to pay off a loan I fronted . . . I insisted on the repayment last night - which made me feel like a meanie bu also good that I showed I will stand up for myself
*  took a leave day from work to devote to a side hustle . . . so getting paid to work on the side . . . sort of . . .

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2644 on: February 25, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »
Found out that a complicated project I thought I needed to do for work is actually something I am exempt from, so we celebrated by making homemade pizza (using dough we made in our bread machine) with ingredients we already had on hand.  The leftovers will be used for lunch tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I spent $0 today on anything and managed to get 37 mpg in the hybrid on the way home from work, despite the temperature being around 14 degrees F today.  I should be able to stretch the tank of gas for another couple weeks at this rate.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2645 on: February 25, 2015, 11:27:32 PM »
1) Bought a huge box full of produce at a farmers market instead of the grocery store.

2) Picked up future curriculum items for homeschooling at a 50% off sale. Asked for 2 packages to be split up since I didn't need the teacher's guides, and they gave them to me for free!

3) Son making $20 a week doing 2 hours of childcare in the church nursery for a Mom's bible study group. He is almost 12 years old. Seriously good $$$ for his age and will be opening up a good savings account, STAT!

4) Had rice 3x in the last seven days. Kids love it and its seriously cheap.

5) Reading up on "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" -- might be a viable option for our family. Bread making has slipped off my radar in recent weeks due to being very busy with my family commitments. This might be a good solution. Store bought bread tastes very 2nd rate to us because I've been making our bread for about 15 years now.

cshaw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2646 on: February 26, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
I sold the first of our 4 ATVs on craigslist.  I'm getting ready to post the ATV Trailer as well.
We are going to implement the "muscle of motor" philosophy for our recreational activities.
The proceeds will likely help us purchase some used bikes as well.
The remaining funds will be put to work earning more little green workers.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2647 on: February 26, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
I just switched insurance companies.

Last year, I paid $816.72 for car & renter's insurance.  A month ago I dropped comp & collision, and it went down to about $550 per year, which was still more than I was hoping to pay. 

So I did some research online with Progressive & Geico, and Progressive gave me better quotes for the same coverage I have now (still no comp/collision) at $361 a year for auto & renter's.  So I picked a local agent from Progressive's website, and gave him a call.

Here's where it gets good -

After he took all my information and asked me about what I wanted out of insurance, he asked if I wanted Progressive specifically, or if I'd like him to run some other quotes with other companies.  I said by all means, if you can find a better quote for the same coverage, I'm all for it.

He found one that was even less.  $240/year for actually a little bit better coverage. 

So, yay insurance agent!  He could have saved himself work and signed me up for Progressive like I'd called about, and I'd have been happy.  Now, I'm even happier, and I'd recommend HIM as an agent!

Savings: Approx $580/year!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:34:02 PM by netskyblue »

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2648 on: February 26, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
Signed up for Dollar Shave Club!  Seriously, I heard it was a money-saver, but $6 a month for 4 4-bladed cartridges (they send you a handle in the first box, no extra charge)??? If they are even halfway decent blades, it's well worth it.

PS, if you're thinking this sounds interesting, you should use this link, so I get a bonus :) --> http://shaved.by/b28fO

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2649 on: February 26, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
Marian,

My husband and I just switched to Dorco razors (ordered online) -- same idea. We are super happy with them and my husband has very coarse hair. I was surprised how happy he was, actually, being a die-hard Mach 3 fan!

Hope it works for you!