Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020829 times)

alewpanda

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8700 on: April 13, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
There was one more unopened package of muffin liners at the thrift store.  I bought it for 50 cents. 

Normally I buy the same brand for a couple bucks, cuz the dollar ones are crap...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8701 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
There was one more unopened package of muffin liners at the thrift store.  I bought it for 50 cents. 

Normally I buy the same brand for a couple bucks, cuz the dollar ones are crap...

If you use them often, you might want to look into silicone reusable ones. We got a set for like $5 or $6? And they are awesome. Particularly for things that classically stick, like breakfast egg cups.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8702 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
I went to Costco yesterday after work needed whey protein powder (this is what DH has instead of lunch everyday) and a few groceries that are cheaper there then elsewhere.  I also wanted to check out the different fish oils because they are having a sale.  I choose the cheapest Kirkland fish oil for an enormous savings! My old brand Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega (Amazon) cost $59.46 for 180 caps, $0.33/capsule with a recommended dose of 2 caps $0.66/day (face punch) although DH always took 1/day and then I recently went down to 1/day to reducing costs so for the 2 of, it was still $0.66/day.  New Kirkland enteric Coated fish oil has a regular price of $15.99 with a $3 off right now so $11.99 for 180 caps $0.06 and a serving size is one cap!  So for both DH and I $0.12/day.  Saving over 3 months is $47.47 that's $189.88/year savings over 10 years $1,898.80. I bought 2 bottles, but now I'm wishing I had grabbed more.  I have to check to see when this sale ends and see if I can coordinate another trip.  Costco is 5.5 miles from work but going in the opposite direction from home.  I topped off my gas tank while there because it was cheaper than my usual cheap place by $0.04/gallon, a savings of $0.22. 

I also went into the Costco package store while I was there to stock up.  Spent $59.49 but this will last us a long time.  4 bottles of highly rated, inexpensive Kirkland Signature wine, Rioja, $6.99, Malbec $6.99, Sauvignon Blanc $6.99 and Pinot Grigio $5.99.  A huge bottle of Kirkland Signature (USA) vodka $11.99 and a huge bottle of Kirkland Signature gin $16.99.  I used some of the vodka to start some vanilla extract with some vanilla beans that I got as a gift for Christmas (found last weekend when I cleaned out the cabinets), using a recycled soy sauce bottle.  We don't typically drink vodka so I'm sure it will last us a very, very long time.  DH likes to drink gin and tonic when it gets warm out and this is cheaper than the brand that I usually get him.  He hasn't tried the new brand yet, I'll be back to post his opinion once he tries it.       

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8703 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
Yesterday, I

-increased the deductibles on car insurance for ~$100 savings each year; will reduce coverage next year for additional savings (car recently paid off)
-returned two pairs of shoes (out of three ordered online) to brick & mortar store to save $8 on shipping and to remind me why I don't shop at the mall (shoes ordered online were $25 less than at mall).
-didn't buy Cinnabon at mall even though I really wanted one (we have been watching Better Call Saul on Netflix).

Today, I gave myself a so-so haircut ($80 not spent).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:23:17 PM by prettypaperwork »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8704 on: April 15, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »
Our guest (FIL) brought a bottle of good whisky and a 3 liter box wine at the tax free at our request. I offered to pay it back, but was not allowed. Now my DH and his father are out fishing, trying to catch sea trout or cod.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8705 on: April 15, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Not saving money, but earning it:

- Last week got $250 Wells Fargo sign up bonus.
- Today opened PNC account and am in the process of meeting requirements for $430 sign up bonus.
- Traded cash for a gift card (equal value) so I didn't have to spend at that place. Mom shops there, I don't. Win/win.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #8706 on: April 15, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »
Cashed in the coin jar at CoinStar for a Lowe's certificate (no fee).  Not strictly saving money, but it will pay for some random items I need to buy in the next few weeks.

Continuing to work on my homemade horse jumps.  I've nearly caved and purchased pre-fab parts a few times, but I had enough scrap wood around to do almost all of it.  Just need to buy the bolts, screws and one 4x4, so I'll be spending $20 instead of like $200.

Drank water I brought along while out running errands instead of stopping for coffee or buying a can of soda.

Borrowed some bits from a friend to try on the new horse instead of buying a bunch to find out which one horsey prefers (they're non-returnable once used).

Used a $10 off $40 coupon at WinCo to buy lots of veggies, butter and cheese today.  Also took a chance on some $7 pinot noir that had a mail-in rebate with it, bringing the price to $5/bottle.

Using some leftover lamb to make a fried rice dish for dinner.  Should be cheap, tasty and relatively healthy with a side of asparagus.

Bought new horsey her wardrobe of winter blankets right away since they go on clearance this time of year and were all >50% off.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8707 on: April 15, 2017, 09:56:02 PM »
Entertained the kids for free: puppet show and story time at the library, short hike with friends at a local wilderness area.

Currently putting up salsa and chicken stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8708 on: April 16, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
Got home last night after a long weekend, defrosted bolognese from the freezer, had dinner on the table in 15 minutes.

I'll shop and cook today and replenish the stash of (homemade) freezer meals.

My mum saved two of Mr MPGH's business shirts which I thought were beyond repair.

Not only would you never know they were damaged, one now has a new placket which makes it look like a completely different shirt (a bonus since he needs to be on camera for work and repeating the same outfits is frowned on).

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #8709 on: April 16, 2017, 05:17:35 PM »
Sold a CD on eBay.  Packaged and ready to ship tomorrow.

Changed front brakes on the wife's car.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #8710 on: April 16, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
A couple of days ago: finally got around to calling my health insurance about a bill I got from a provider for $365 that should have been covered.  In my past life I probably would have just paid the bill with my FSA card and told myself I'd get reimbursed later (but forget to follow up).  Instead I called the insurance and spent a few minutes on the phone and they immediately processed the payment in full while I was on hold.  Boom! I now owe $0.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8711 on: April 17, 2017, 12:28:23 AM »
Today, as yesterday, we will entertain ourselves outside in nature. Only today we are going to drive to it and burn some fuel. But we will bring sandwiches and tea bags and a cattle and make it a sort if picknick. Ignoring the fact that that ground is covered in an inch of snow this morning.
We are at this visiting place also planning to fourage, my DH by freediving and I will look for kelp/seaweed
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:33:38 PM by Linda_Norway »

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8712 on: April 17, 2017, 05:26:58 AM »
Felt like eating something 'decadent', today (I normally eat a very strict diet of vegetables, legumes, and fruit). I was going to ask hubby to go to a bakery and pick up lunch for the family. Instead, I asked him to bike down to the supermarket and buy a mince pie for each of us, as well as a tin of tomat sauce (I checked the supermarket's website before he went, to find the cheapest per litre sauce). While he was away, I boiled some potatoes. Once the pies were in the oven, I decanted the tomato sauce from the tin into a sauce bottle we already have, using a groovy, retro orange funnel I found at a local charity shop, a couple of weeks ago. I estimate we saved $11 over the bakery food I had in mind and the meal we had was much less greasy than bakery food tends to be.

I loved the first season of The Crown, but recently cancelled Netflix. I was planning on signing up again for one month, so hubby and I can watch Season 2. However, I realised today that I can just wait until the final season is released, then sign up for a month and binge-watch the whole lot.

ETA that the potatoes above were free, as a friend gave us a bagful the other day and I boiled them during the free daily hour of electricity our electricity provider gives us!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:56:23 PM by PetiteMouche »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8713 on: April 17, 2017, 02:08:08 PM »
My smart phone is getting old (4 years, which is like 50 in technology years). It's starting to run slowly, has trouble with modern apps, and can't hold a charge more than an hour when in use, and no more than 3 hours when idle. But instead of shelling $600 for a whole new phone, I used credit card cashback to buy a new battery on Amazon. By chance it was a Lightning Deal that day, so I saved a couple extra cashback dollars as well. It's like I got a whole new phone. Battery lasts (comparatively) forever. Plus I think the heat generated by the old battery was causing some of the slowdown, because it runs much better now.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8714 on: April 17, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
One of the side zippers on our laundry container came completely unzipped and we couldn't reset it.  So I sewed the whole thing up while watching youtube.  I hadn't realized until it came unzipped that there was a side zipper.  I have no idea how much money this saved, but the idea of going shopping for a new one this weekend was just too painful to contemplate.

Bell peppers were on sale for 1.99/lb and a case of tomatoes came out to $1/lb, so I roasted them up and put them in the freezer for later.  We ate more vegetables this winter than in the past, so my preparation from fall sales had been insufficient.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8715 on: April 17, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
-Sewed husband's shorts up (2 pairs) that the seams pulled out of.

-Been on a roll with no food waste. We're never too bad with this, but there's always room to improve.

-Built more garden beds. It blows my mind that people pay for them pre-made, they're dead simple.

-Keeping up with my running, still using free apps for training. Thinking I'll use my $25 birthday money visa gift card I have sitting around for running tights or a gear belt, since I've stuck with it for 12 weeks now. (My birthday was over a month ago, haha. Still, sticking to the 72 hour waiting period first).

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8716 on: April 17, 2017, 08:21:33 PM »
Today was a no spend day, a no driving day, and a successful Meatless Monday.

I had some grape tomatoes that were starting to get wrinkly so I sliced them and roasted with olive oil, honey, and salt. They are great in salads or quiches this way and can be frozen.

Soaked and cooked chickpeas in the crockpot to make hummus tomorrow.

I'm sewing a summer dress and took the time to very carefully cut out all the pieces and transfer markings using thread tacks. I'm using some very nice bamboo jersey and want to make sure I don't waste it!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8717 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
I have no idea how much money this saved, but the idea of going shopping for a new one this weekend was just too painful to contemplate.

With you on that.

My peg basket has perished from sitting in the sun on my balcony. I picked it up on the weekend and it cracked and the corner broke off.

I wrapped it in packaging tape and returned it to the balcony (now out of the sun).

I'm sure I could replace it for a couple of bucks but that would involve shopping. *shudder*

SingleMomDebt

What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #8718 on: April 17, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »
Said "no" to a really delicious taco plate ($7) even though the power was out at work for 1.5hrs and my lunch was frozen. When the power came back on, I ran to the microwave in a hangry state. Lol
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:11:17 PM by Chippewa »

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8719 on: April 18, 2017, 02:36:52 AM »
This evening, I went to the supermarket to stock up on some staples: rolled oats, baked beans, etc. I needed a lettuce and chose an unwrapped one, as they were the cheapest. I saw that a couple of big, outer leaves had been left behind by other customers. It was obvious that the leaves were destined for the rubbish bin, so I put them in a plastic produce bag along with my lettuce.

One of the items I went to buy was 190g bags of walnut pieces. They were $4.21/kg off the normal price, so I was going to buy 10-20 of them. However, I obviously wasn't the only one who'd heard about the special, as there were only three bags left. When I got home, I went to their website and asked them if I can buy more at the special price. We will see.

When I was about to start reading my children a bedtime story, I saw that my son's bedroom light was on, so I sent him to switch it off before I started reading - that's 20 minutes of bulb usage saved.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #8720 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:03 AM »
The husbands gone all week, so his meals and housing and gas and whatever are all covered by his employer this week. 

I grocery shopped just for myself and spent less than half of what I otherwise would have.  I will still have stuff from that shop left when he comes home I think, because I'm going out of my way to use up the "last bits" of random foods sitting around and in our cupboards.  The last bit of a box of pasta, the last bit of pesto, the last bit of cheese, etc.  I  mostly nibble when he isn't home, so quick skillet dishes, raw veggies and random finger food offerings it is :) 

On the downside, I'm either getting really clumsy, or my galaxy S5 mini that I recently bought new in box is more cheaply made than my older smartphone was.  I already had to replace a battery cover because the plastic was brittle and kept cracking, and I just cracked it across the screen this morning -- thankfullly still functional.  Any frugal ideas for cases or screen protectors so I can make this phone last past 6 months??  (And still have it fit in a back pocket?)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8721 on: April 18, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
On the downside, I'm either getting really clumsy, or my galaxy S5 mini that I recently bought new in box is more cheaply made than my older smartphone was.  I already had to replace a battery cover because the plastic was brittle and kept cracking, and I just cracked it across the screen this morning -- thankfullly still functional.  Any frugal ideas for cases or screen protectors so I can make this phone last past 6 months??  (And still have it fit in a back pocket?)

I like the Otterbox "symmetry" series: smile.amazon.com/Otterbox-Cell-Phone-Case-Galaxy/dp/B00MTWGPJ2
and one of those glass screen protectors that are like $2 on eBay

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #8722 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
The only thing I currently have in my fridge are half a bag of brussel sprouts, some coconut milk, and condiments... Delayed going to the store as long as possible as DH traveled part of last week and we took a long weekend getaway, so I wasn't going to leave food laying the fridge. I'll finally go tonight since Kroger's mega sale ends today.

Also, I was maxed out my retirement contributions today! I've been working on debt dumping so I didn't have them maxed, but was contributing 5% which is matched by my employer. I am now contributing an additional 4% which they will match 2.5% of. Looking forward to seeing those numbers climb!

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8723 on: April 18, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »
* Brought leftovers from my son's birthday party this past weekend to work today for lunch.  I think I finally ate up the last bits from the party!

* Called around for motorcycle insurance quotes.  Found a company that will be $35 cheaper per year, and called our current company to see if they can match that price.  The rep on the phone basically told me that I would only save $3 a month by switching, so was that even worth it??  Well, it's my $3 a month, so yeah, it's worth it!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8724 on: April 18, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
spent 5 bux on groupon for at 10 bux target card. Bought husband new undies he needs:)
Found ten cents on the ground
having ramen for dinner.. too busy studying to cook tonight.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8725 on: April 18, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »

If you use them often, you might want to look into silicone reusable ones. We got a set for like $5 or $6? And they are awesome. Particularly for things that classically stick, like breakfast egg cups.

Bracken_Joy, do they go in the muffin tins or get set on a baking sheet?  I've seen them but am not sure how you use them.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8726 on: April 18, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
Pegged washing inside this morning as rain is forecast.

Coming into winter, I set an airer up in front of the big glass door that opens onto my balcony. It gets full sun on clear days so washing dries beautifully.

I do need to replace the airer though. After 12 years the paint is flaking off in big pieces and the metal is rusting underneath, so time to splash out $10 for a new one.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8727 on: April 18, 2017, 07:38:15 PM »

Bracken_Joy, do they go in the muffin tins or get set on a baking sheet?  I've seen them but am not sure how you use them.

Use the in the pan. They are not sturdy enough to hold their shape on their own.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8728 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:44 PM »
Hand washed a mini load of clothes to avoid doing an extra machine load

ExpatChina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8729 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:15 PM »
My first DIY haircut! A bit of a fail but at least I saved some money. I ended shaving most of it off to repair the damage haha.

CutTheFat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8730 on: April 19, 2017, 06:16:49 AM »
Yesterday I made dessert for cw's b-day, out of ingredients that I already had in my kitchen.  Another cw bought a gift and asked if I wanted to chip in.  I said yes and why don't you ask our other 2 cw.  All wanted in, after everyone in our small office chipped in we were at $10/person.  I like this better than spending my usual $30/person/b-day since our office recently went from 3 to 5 employees! 
Breakfast at home of eggs, toast and latte and my packed leftovers for lunch. We had meal planned chicken Caesar salad for dinner.  I just needed bread for the homemade croutons.  I had to stop on my way home from work.  I consistently shop at Aldi and although they were closed by the time I got out of work.  I had a light bulb moment and decided to go to stop and shop for the sole purpose of checking to see if they still have day old discount bread.  It has been years since I've steeped foot in stop and shop!  There I found a shopping cart full of reduced bread and pastries.  I found the perfect sized, petite baguette for $0.49.  I also decided to take a look at the reduced produce that I used to love to buy back when I shopped there.  They have styrofoam trays of produce wrapped in saran.  More wasteful then I like, but I made out better than Aldi prices and at least I can save the styrofoam for my artist daughter to use as paint palates.  I think I have to make it a regular thing to pop in and just look at the reduced produce.  I got trays of the following: apples, pears, tomatoes, oranges, lemons with one grapefruit all were $0/79/lb. I had 2 shopping bags filled just shy of 14 pounds worth of fruit, with some organics in the mix!  Total out the door for produce and bread $11.33.  So today when I do my Aldi run I won't spend much at all as I only need a few things.  Out of everything purchased one lemon had a soft spot that I cut off and that lemon will be used first.  One tomato is soft and will be used today.  Everything else is totally perfect!!! 
I googled to see if the tax day extension included funding an ira.  I found out that I was in luck.  So at the last minute I maxed out my husband's Roth!  It was just opened last month and I really wanted to max it out.  He didn't want me to take out of savings to max it because he has some home repairs that will be coming up.  He has yet to get quotes on these projects and I know that I will have that account built back up to what it was in just a month.  So I went for it and I have no regrets.     

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8731 on: April 19, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
My first DIY haircut! A bit of a fail but at least I saved some money. I ended shaving most of it off to repair the damage haha.

You used a shaving machine? You might need an extra device to trim around the ears. Of use someone else (spouse) to do the ears.

I had quite long hair and let my DH cut it. It became much short than expected. I is now 2 weeks ago and I am slowly getting used to it. It was a bit of a shock, though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8732 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:07 AM »

Use the in the pan. They are not sturdy enough to hold their shape on their own.

I always use mine in the muffin tin, but they also don't really touch the edges, so maybe they would stay up? I wouldn't feel confident about it though while carrying it to the oven and such!

familyFIguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8733 on: April 19, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
I'm currently on my 4th reuse of one vacuum bag. I cut a slit in the side, dumped the contents, and then use a strip of duct tape to seal it back up!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #8734 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
I'm currently on my 4th reuse of one vacuum bag. I cut a slit in the side, dumped the contents, and then use a strip of duct tape to seal it back up!

I love this.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8735 on: April 19, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
Today I am going to learn to make saag.  Indian food is one of the few things I crave that I can't do well at home yet.  I'm also sensitive to dairy (and wheat), so I'll be giving a vegan recipe I found a try.  Although I have no problem with eating chicken.  Vegan saag, with chicken.  Sounds yum!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8736 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:32 PM »
Today I am going to learn to make saag.  Indian food is one of the few things I crave that I can't do well at home yet.  I'm also sensitive to dairy (and wheat), so I'll be giving a vegan recipe I found a try.  Although I have no problem with eating chicken.  Vegan saag, with chicken.  Sounds yum!

Do you tolerate coconut milk? We often make Asian type food with rice, wocked vegetables and coconut milk. And often some curry paste.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8737 on: April 19, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
-Rode my bike to get groceries.

-While there, noticed eggs by the 5 doz are even cheaper than at Costco, even when I factor in the 4% back (Costco Visa + executive membership). So I will be switching my egg source it sounds like.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8738 on: April 19, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »
 - Didn't have leftovers from dinner last night for lunch, so scheduled a mystery shop instead.  Still ate out, but at least it's paid for (and then some!)

- Grabbed a second mystery shop right across the street and got my BIL's birthday gift for only $5 (after my reimbursements)

- Submitted a receipt to Mobisave and got $0.35 cash back.  Not much, but every little bit adds up!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8739 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »

Do you tolerate coconut milk? We often make Asian type food with rice, wocked vegetables and coconut milk. And often some curry paste.

I do, and I'm going to use it.  Luckily we already have some because that's what DW likes in her coffee.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8740 on: April 19, 2017, 07:18:53 PM »
Checked the reduced produce rack while I was buying bananas. 4 avocados for 99c. The two I just turned into Guacamole were in perfect shape, the other two look like they can wait until tomorrow night

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8741 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:22 PM »

I always use mine in the muffin tin, but they also don't really touch the edges, so maybe they would stay up? I wouldn't feel confident about it though while carrying it to the oven and such!

I recently bought a ceramic muffin bake tray. I bought it mostly for health reasons - non toxic non stick surface - but an added benefit is never needing to buy muffin wrapper things. Hopefully it's a buy-it-for-life kind of thing.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8742 on: April 19, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »
* Registered for Y membership on the day when the membership fee waived. We will be using the Y for summer swim lessons. Savings: $50

* Applied for passport cards instead of passport books for upcoming in-law-sponsored Disney Cruise to Mexico. Savings: $65 per kid = $195

* Free chicken biscuit at Chick-Fil-A. Savings: $2.19

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8743 on: April 20, 2017, 04:01:13 AM »
When I was at my local fruit and veg shop, this mirning, I asked for a receipt, as they often don't give them. I'm glad I did because, when I arrived home, I found that they'd charged me twice for one item. Next time I shop there, I'll ask for a refund.

We hosted a potluck dinner at our place, last night. Our guests insisted on us keeping the leftovers. There were so many that I didn't need to make dinner for my husband, tonight - and he has a large appetite.

Some of the leftovers came in good, sturdy plastic containers, which I will keep and use until they break.

I picked some rhubarb from our garden, for the first time in ages and stewed it.

When my daughter saw me listing some books to sell online, she expressed mild sadness. I listed them, anyway. (Muahaha)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8744 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »

I recently bought a ceramic muffin bake tray. I bought it mostly for health reasons - non toxic non stick surface - but an added benefit is never needing to buy muffin wrapper things. Hopefully it's a buy-it-for-life kind of thing.

Ooooh how's it do? We have a ceramic fry pan we use for eggs, but I still find it can stick ever so slightly with the eggs. Have you tried anything *really* sticky in it, like egg cups? How did they fare? Thanks!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8745 on: April 20, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
Friends who don't cook much brought over the remnants of their Easter ham, including the bone. It's in the Instant Pot now with water, seasoning and a bag of dried beans. I will add onions, garlic, carrots and celery later and freeze in quart size containers. Excellent soup for pennies: one of the great pleasures in life.

Kapiira

• Stubble
« Reply #8746 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:42 AM »
I started using my kid's 3/4 size guitar for guitar lessons and decided that if I stuck with it I could buy myself an adult-sized guitar.  Well, after playing regularly for 8 months I decided I was serious enough that I could get myself a guitar.  But then I realized that I didn't want a new one because it felt too small - it doesn't - it's that there's only one fret marker.  So I added another fret marker with the help of YouTube and $8 in supplies.  No new guitar needed!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8747 on: April 20, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »

Ooooh how's it do? We have a ceramic fry pan we use for eggs, but I still find it can stick ever so slightly with the eggs. Have you tried anything *really* sticky in it, like egg cups? How did they fare? Thanks!

I've made egg cups and oatmeal muffins and tbey don't stick. I do always add coconut oil or butter to line tbe cup before I put the stuff in, but not sure if that's needed.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8748 on: April 20, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »
I've made egg cups and oatmeal muffins and tbey don't stick. I do always add coconut oil or butter to line tbe cup before I put the stuff in, but not sure if that's needed.

Awesome, thank you so much! I may go this route eventually- we have the silicone cups for now, but if DH goes back to taking LONG work trips, not having the liners to bring home might be a great option.

*adding to amazon wishlist*

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8749 on: April 20, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »

I love this.

Badass!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!