Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 5299924 times)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12350 on: November 28, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
I came here, and reading your collective badassity reminded me the road, and the goal :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12351 on: November 28, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
Bought a $0.39 per lb. turkey at Thanksgiving. Put the carcass, onion, celery, bones and skin in the crockpot and cooked it for 12 hours. Strained out all the bones and junk and then refrigerated the broth. Took off the grease the next day then froze the broth. Today we are having turkey soup/stew with veggies and biscuits on top tonight. So, this cheap turkey has turned out to be quite a frugal purchase!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #12352 on: November 28, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Bought a $0.39 per lb. turkey at Thanksgiving. Put the carcass, onion, celery, bones and skin in the crockpot and cooked it for 12 hours. Strained out all the bones and junk and then refrigerated the broth. Took off the grease the next day then froze the broth. Today we are having turkey soup/stew with veggies and biscuits on top tonight. So, this cheap turkey has turned out to be quite a frugal purchase!

Once I did it in front of a bunch of people (we were at a chalet for Thanksgiving) to make broth for a risotto, and you would have thought I was doing black magic for how they were surprised.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12353 on: November 28, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
turned off the heat today once the kids went to school and fired up the wood burning furnace in the basement.  Spent the whole day working from the basement instead of my normal home-office.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12354 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:44 PM »
My latest quarterly power bill was down $80. The small things are paying off.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12355 on: December 02, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »
-Sold a few things on eBay
-Took advantage of Target gift card deal to buy a gift (10% off of a gift card for something I was already buying)
-Made dinner out of pantry/freezer items, and have enough for two leftover dinners

mountain mustache

• Bristles
« Reply #12356 on: December 02, 2018, 09:48:42 PM »
-Sold some shoes on Ebay
- made an amazing roasted chicken w/a bunch of root veggies that were on their last leg in the fridge
- ate a giant salad for dinner made of veggies that were left at the house I am dog sitting at. They would have gone bad before owners got home, so free dinner for me!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12357 on: December 03, 2018, 09:33:31 AM »
I have a work dinner today so free fancy food, and another one in two weeks: more free fancy food! Bf at home is eating leftovers from this weekend, so not spending money either.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12358 on: December 07, 2018, 01:44:57 AM »
I went grocery shopping over the weekend and bought meat + veg, but I kept running completely out of spoons due to health issues and insomnia, and I never managed to cook. But I did manage to save all the food by prepping it enough to go in the freezer (trimming and cutting vegetables, etc.). Huzzah, nothing wasted.

Also ran out of energy for holiday shopping (family party is Sunday) and found out I could get yet another free trial of Amazon Prime, so I was able to order gifts with overnight shipping for pretty cheap, which was mostly paid for by a $50 credit I had from doing a medical phone survey. I really prefer to shop local, but I tried tonight and was limping so badly I just couldn't face any more of it. :-/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12359 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »
I made a pot of jam from a jar of frozen kiwis that I found in the freezer. This must have been leftover fruit from work from last summer. I obviously had not had time, energi or inspiration to do anything with it earlier.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12360 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Hope you feel better, @Dollar Slice

-Used a coupon & rewards to get my husband's Claritin for free yesterday
-Remembered to list a few Christmas ornaments on eBay, & one sold for $50.
-Leftovers all week + freezer challenge, helping me eat everything in the house
-Stuck at home (recovering after being rear ended on Wednesday), so not spending any money

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12361 on: December 07, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Put on a sweater and scarf inside instead of turning up the Thermostat, cooked my own lunch at home from scratch - bacon and brussel sprouts, let the car coast in gear to save on fuel.  Combined errands I had to run.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12362 on: December 07, 2018, 06:22:29 PM »
1. Took advantage of the 10% off deal on Target gift cards for several people on my list = $30. Used a 2% reward card - even more bang for my buck.
Somehow - this was not planned - by buying things that I had on my list - ended up with an $85 Target gift card. I'm still shocked.

2. Today - Saved $352. thanks to all you lovely people on the MMM forum - convinced Mr. R. to ask for a discount on a medical bill. He really didn't believe it was possible - the look on his face was - priceless. He phoned them and I coached him to use his rewards card instead of writing a check. Nice win:)

3. The kid asked for Amazon gift cards for X-mas - 5% off with Amazon prime card and another $15 on top - rinse and repeat a total of three times, gc for a birthday and another x-mas gift.
I will cancel prime before the first of the year - got a free trial and enjoying the perks for now.

4. Grocery Coupons - $5 if you spent $30 at Aldi and we just got one more $5 coupon, $1 off eggs, $3 off Coffee-made the BOGO deal even sweeter...
Free sample packs of tea.
Three free Kindle books (my choice) through Bookbub.

5. Instead of caving and buying an Insta Pot - I ordered a $10 replacement ring for my stovetop pressure cooker which we use all the time. It still works great and is made from heavy stainless steel. 

6. As usual - Fixed lunch for work for Mr. R. and cooked up a few batches of dinner ahead of time.

7. Used promo code for ordering gifts online (including sales items - double score), saved gas and time, and scored free shipping.

8. Announced we would no longer do gift exchanges with one family group - will save us about $150 this Christmas and going forward.

9. Took some time to hunt for CDs and perhaps a bank or cc bonus to help along my savings goals between now and January. Future savings.

10. Renewed my library card ...

... and yeah, we enjoy the cold weather, our old block home stayed 71 degrees while it was 55 outside. No Ac - no heat - $$$avings.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12363 on: December 08, 2018, 02:58:19 AM »
I went grocery shopping over the weekend and bought meat + veg, but I kept running completely out of spoons due to health issues and insomnia, and I never managed to cook. But I did manage to save all the food by prepping it enough to go in the freezer (trimming and cutting vegetables, etc.). Huzzah, nothing wasted.

Also ran out of energy for holiday shopping (family party is Sunday) and found out I could get yet another free trial of Amazon Prime, so I was able to order gifts with overnight shipping for pretty cheap, which was mostly paid for by a $50 credit I had from doing a medical phone survey. I really prefer to shop local, but I tried tonight and was limping so badly I just couldn't face any more of it. :-/

I know what you feel like. Just remember that we choose to be frugal to have money left over to spend on things we feel are important, and nothing is more important than our own wellbeing. This is why I'm choosing to not save any money on food today and get a €6 relatively healthy ready meal with lots of veggies for dinner, instead of a €2,50 frozen pizza. I'm home alone this weekend and with with work, grad school and health issues there's no energy to spare for cooking today.

I bought a CD my s/o wants for Christmas used and online, for €5. We are both frugal so used gifts are absolutely no problem for us.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12364 on: December 10, 2018, 07:48:11 AM »
bought $11 tube of seam rip stopper and fixed a $250 parka

played w my son for 2 hours in cathedral to help my wife make $60 in the mean time .

made xmas tree out of felt and sewed the ornaments out of felt.  he loves it. 

paid $270 for a lead inspection of my home to make sure the tykes are safe.  we learned something important that we'll take care of

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12365 on: December 10, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
Was ordering shoes for kids and one pair for myself. Noticed I was a few points short of a $5 reward. Went to my reward points account and saw that $25 worth of reward points had just expired last week. d'Oh!  So I took my own shoes off the order, called them and they said they'll reinstate the points in the next week.  With the reinstated points and the points from my kids' orders, I should be able to knock $35 off the cost of the adult shoes!

Got the points, and instead of getting myself cute ankle boots which I would wear maybe 10 times a year, I'm getting track shoes for my son, who will wear them every day. He's been wearing a $20 pair of sneakers from Costco which I just realized are completely falling apart, and still placing at third or fourth place in the sprints.  With a pair of proper shoes, he should start winning!

Instead of buying a new Lego Advent calendar, I'm buying a used set and will use it to fill the drawers of our wooden Advent calendar.

@Dollar Slice , hope you wake up with more spoons in your account!
@MaybeBabyMustache , that's lousy about your car.  Hope you were not injured and that the other driver will pay for repairs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:16:08 AM by Poundwise »

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12366 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »
Domino’s had a buy one get one free promo.

Next up — using our “buy one get one free” blocks of cheese to make our own stash of frozen pizzas.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12367 on: December 10, 2018, 11:44:31 AM »
Found a Thermos 10 oz “Funtainer” at Goodwill with a cartoon decoration my kids wouldn’t recognize or like. Spent 90 seconds with my stainless-steel scrubbie, removed all the decoration, washed it and now have a extra, nice, neutral thermos for hot lunch for the kids.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12368 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
Free lunch at a hotel, paid by my company. I ate a leftover portion from an earlier homemade dinner for dinner.

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12369 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
refusing to go to the Grocery store, just ate steamed cauliflower with salad dressing! lol   not too bad  Going to eat the cupboard bare before I go again..

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12370 on: December 10, 2018, 08:18:08 PM »
Thanks, @Poundwise . The other driver admitted fault, and I'm hoping to get the car repaired in the next week. I'm in some neck & back pain, but able to be back at work. I awkwardly cannot turn my head in meetings, so I either can't make eye contact with the person speaking, or have to get up & move positions. My team is enjoying this, as I look like a robot. ;-)

-We ate leftover stuffing & gravy from the freezer, I made mashed potatoes yesterday for dinner tonight, and we finally made a turkey breast. We will have it for two dinners this week, and I have six dinner size portions ready to go into the freezer. This is wonderful, but I'm trying to clear out my freezer! I'd forgotten all about this turkey. ;-)
-Drove electric car & charged for free at work
-Listed a few more items on eBay

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12371 on: December 12, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
I dig some parsnips out of my snowy garden!  I'll be making a soup using parsnips, turkey, and rice.  And probably some carrots, also from the garden.  It's cold an snowy outside, definitely soup weather.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12372 on: December 12, 2018, 01:58:40 PM »
-Walked to and from yoga.
-Made soup yesterday that used up a lot of veggie odds and ends that might have gone bad

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12373 on: December 12, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »
ate slightly rotten food from fridge, 2nd day in row
will stop eating clif bars and make my own alternative

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12374 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
Yikes, @letsdoit - I hope you are feeling ok!

-Drove my electric car to work (no gas costs)
-Made dinner from various fridge/freezer items. My freezer cleanout continues!
-We've decided to take my son out of club soccer (unrelated to financial reasons), but it will save a significant amount per year. Some of that will be diverted to other activities, but I'm guessing there will be about a $1k savings/year after that

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12375 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »
I baked bread, which put the family in good moods so they didn't balk at eating leftovers. Though oldest son spent $10 on dinner while at the track meet, so we treaded water on dinner.

I'm enjoying another box of imperfect organic produce I got delivered. Two of my friends signed up through my referral link so I got 50% off.

I wrapped up leftover rice in plastic wrap and froze it, so no food is going bad on the counter.

Haggled with insurance and contractors over a remediation being done on our property. Slowly but surely the costs we will have to pay are going down. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12376 on: December 13, 2018, 02:55:06 AM »
Walked to work today and will walk back in the afternoon.

Ordered parking at the airport for our next trip with a 50% discount. I choose the el cheapo parking outside.

I would also like to find a cheap rental car, but haven't succeeded yet. For some reason, renting a car in the Netherlands costs more than twice as much as renting a car in southern Europe.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12377 on: December 13, 2018, 03:18:40 AM »
Linda, will you really need a rental car? Not sure what your plans are when in NL but public transport makes my life usually easy enough. NS tickets can be fairly cheap if you buy the discounted ones. I feel you'd need to do lots of driving before a rental car will be cost-saving.

I forgot my lunch today but instead of buying in the canteen I passed by the supermarket and bought some bread rolls.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12378 on: December 13, 2018, 04:29:54 AM »
Linda, will you really need a rental car? Not sure what your plans are when in NL but public transport makes my life usually easy enough. NS tickets can be fairly cheap if you buy the discounted ones. I feel you'd need to do lots of driving before a rental car will be cost-saving.

I forgot my lunch today but instead of buying in the canteen I passed by the supermarket and bought some bread rolls.

@Hirondelle Tja... My mother lives about an hour driving from the airport. We will arrive very late in the evening and will be able to leave there at 10 pm. Yes, I could ask my mother to pick us up, but I find it very late. The more logical alternative is taking the train to the nearest train station and my mother needs to pick us up from there.

At schiphol, buying a train ticket is easy. In the rest of the country it is more difficult, if paying by a foreign credit card. Buying bus tickets are also difficult and not something you easily and cheaply do on a buss, with a credit card.

My mother and my FIL live very far from each other and both far from a train station. We need to travel between them twice. And we need to get back to the airport on second day of Christmas in the evening, again from my mother's house. I don't like to burden them that much.

Public transport would have been fine, if we would only have to use trains. I hate to use busses because buying normal price tickets is too difficult. If you have any concrete advice on how to do it easily, at a late hour, please let me know.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12379 on: December 13, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »

@Hirondelle Tja... My mother lives about an hour driving from the airport. We will arrive very late in the evening and will be able to leave there at 10 pm. Yes, I could ask my mother to pick us up, but I find it very late. The more logical alternative is taking the train to the nearest train station and my mother needs to pick us up from there.

At schiphol, buying a train ticket is easy. In the rest of the country it is more difficult, if paying by a foreign credit card. Buying bus tickets are also difficult and not something you easily and cheaply do on a buss, with a credit card.

My mother and my FIL live very far from each other and both far from a train station. We need to travel between them twice. And we need to get back to the airport on second day of Christmas in the evening, again from my mother's house. I don't like to burden them that much.

Public transport would have been fine, if we would only have to use trains. I hate to use busses because buying normal price tickets is too difficult. If you have any concrete advice on how to do it easily, at a late hour, please let me know.

Ah yes not having a Dutch ATM card might complicate things a bit. Assuming you visit the NL semi-regularly, won't it be worth it to just get a OV-chipkaart and have some money on it. I'd guess a Norwegian debit card should work on those machines? Maybe your family even has an anonymous card just laying around that you could use (my parents usually have one that I use if international friends visit). Otherwise the €7.50 personal ones are valid for 5y so that's a €1.50 expense per year.

I have an OV chipcard so not sure about paying in the bus. However I live in a semi-touristy town and our EBS busses do have ATM machines inside and I think foreign debit/credit cards work on there. Norway sounds like a country without super-obscure cards that they don't accept.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12380 on: December 13, 2018, 06:09:43 AM »
Biked 47 km to and from work. Got lots of exercise and not-so-fresh air, and saved on bus fare.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12381 on: December 13, 2018, 06:54:31 AM »

Ah yes not having a Dutch ATM card might complicate things a bit. Assuming you visit the NL semi-regularly, won't it be worth it to just get a OV-chipkaart and have some money on it. I'd guess a Norwegian debit card should work on those machines? Maybe your family even has an anonymous card just laying around that you could use (my parents usually have one that I use if international friends visit). Otherwise the €7.50 personal ones are valid for 5y so that's a €1.50 expense per year.

I have an OV chipcard so not sure about paying in the bus. However I live in a semi-touristy town and our EBS busses do have ATM machines inside and I think foreign debit/credit cards work on there. Norway sounds like a country without super-obscure cards that they don't accept.

Sorry, I have a Norwegian debit visa card as well. It works in the train ticket machines on Schiphol. But often not on smaller stations. :-(
Maybe investing i a real OV chipcard would be a good investment, but not easy to organize late in the evening.

DH thinks the rental car I found so long was way to expensive, so maybe I'll need to ask my mother to pick us up at nearest train station very late in the evening.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12382 on: December 13, 2018, 07:46:14 AM »

Sorry, I have a Norwegian debit visa card as well. It works in the train ticket machines on Schiphol. But often not on smaller stations. :-(
Maybe investing i a real OV chipcard would be a good investment, but not easy to organize late in the evening.

DH thinks the rental car I found so long was way to expensive, so maybe I'll need to ask my mother to pick us up at nearest train station very late in the evening.

According to the website it doesn't sound that complicated and the anonymous one is also valid for 5 years. Plus they're available to get at the airport so then the debit card problem shouldn't a big deal! Once you've charged it with enough money you should be good for taking the busses all over the place :)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12383 on: December 13, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
Eating an allergy friendly diet for my nursing daughter.  Saves money because no spur of the moment going out to eat options and also is much much cheaper than the allergy friendly formulas.

I went down to the work cafeteria (good food for a discounted/company subsided price) for lunch today, unfortunately I ran out of salad dressing that is allergy friendly and they didn't have any non-salad allergy friendly options for me today.  I ate the last can of "just in case" soup I had at my desk so no money on lunch but I am not sure it was enough to hold me over until I get home (this nursing mama needs lots of calories).

Started carpooling on Monday with a co-worker, which cuts my commute cost in half every other week!

Not a small thing but we installed an outdoor wood burning furnance/boiler at the house a couple weeks ago that is tied into our HVAC and our water heater! We live in the country and have plenty of wood to provide free fuel, just need to clean up our "forest".  I expect this will save us ~ $1k per year in energy cost but it will also provide exercise and allow us to do some much needed "forest" maintenance/clean up on the property. In the 4 winter months last year we averaged 154 kWh per day! Since installing this thing we are down to an average of 92 kWh per day and I am expecting that to continue to decrease as we have only had the water heater connected for a couple days.  Yes that is still a lot of energy, no we don't have gas heat as an option.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12384 on: December 13, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
According to the website it doesn't sound that complicated and the anonymous one is also valid for 5 years. Plus they're available to get at the airport so then the debit card problem shouldn't a big deal! Once you've charged it with enough money you should be good for taking the busses all over the place :)

We bought the OV chipcard from a vending machine late at night, no problem, and were really happy to have it. I believe you also pay a slightly lower rate per journey with the card.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12385 on: December 14, 2018, 05:29:24 AM »

We bought the OV chipcard from a vending machine late at night, no problem, and were really happy to have it. I believe you also pay a slightly lower rate per journey with the card.

We accept he fact that we pay a slightly higher price per journey, as we only make 2-4 trip a year. 0,75 euro per trip extra is peanuts. But it could be worth it for easily taking the buss.

I have dropped the question whether my mother is willing to pick us up from the nearest train station late in the evening. That would also solve the problem. We think 180s euro for a rental car for a week is too expensive.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12386 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
Looked in Mr. Poundwise's closet.  THERE are all the missing socks!  All sizes, from cute lavender kitten socks for toddlers, to athletic sport socks for teens, to his own socks, and most maddeningly, MY socks. Over, under, and in piles of rumpled clothes.

When I sort the laundry, I fold it all and give each family member a bundle to put away in their own closets and drawers.  When Mr. Poundwise or the kids do it, well, I don't micromanage and things aren't done perfectly.

Now that I found the matches for over twenty odd socks, that's probably $60-$100 worth of pairs rescued.  I wish we had found them before I bought new socks for everyone.  I swear, sometimes I think Mr. Poundwise is gaslighting me!

The annoying thing is all the sympathetic and sad noises he makes when I moan about all the missing socks... and they have been sitting in his closet all along! 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 09:06:22 AM by Poundwise »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12387 on: December 14, 2018, 12:42:04 PM »
@Poundwise - really laughed at your last sentence.

-For me, patiently (okay, but tried) with all of the insurance adjuster stuff for the accident I was in recently. The other person has claimed liability, so this means savings for me to deal with the hassle & get everything sorted.
-Leftovers for dinner, as usual.
-Used a coupon & a gift card, plus signed up for the 4x points offer for groceries. I'll be making truffles for a work party for my husband, vs him buying something. Hopefully better tasting, plus more cost effective.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12388 on: December 14, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
- Holiday potluck at work. Made sweet potato biscuits left behind by my MIL after the disaster that was Thanksgiving with some spiced honey butter. Everyone is always so impressed with homemade honey butter and this both saved me money and cleared my fridge of something we won't eat.
- Grabbed some things out of the communal vendor gifts left in the break room that will make their way into other holiday gifts: shortbread cookies, cocoa mix.
- Lunch for the past two days has been provided at work so we've got a bit of a backlog in the leftovers department at home. Will be eating that up over the weekend.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12389 on: December 14, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
Looked in Mr. Poundwise's closet.  THERE are all the missing socks!  All sizes, from cute lavender kitten socks for toddlers, to athletic sport socks for teens, to his own socks, and most maddeningly, MY socks. Over, under, and in piles of rumpled clothes.

When I sort the laundry, I fold it all and give each family member a bundle to put away in their own closets and drawers.  When Mr. Poundwise or the kids do it, well, I don't micromanage and things aren't done perfectly.

Now that I found the matches for over twenty odd socks, that's probably $60-$100 worth of pairs rescued.  I wish we had found them before I bought new socks for everyone.  I swear, sometimes I think Mr. Poundwise is gaslighting me!

The annoying thing is all the sympathetic and sad noises he makes when I moan about all the missing socks... and they have been sitting in his closet all along!

He is a man, that pretty much explains it all. My Hub, love him dearly but he does things that sometimes makes me nuts. I have a spot where we hang clothes hangers when there are no clothes on them. It is near a laundry sorter and near some curtains. There is at least one foot space between where the hangers are hung to where the curtains are. The hangers are always tangled up with the curtains and I just don't understand how he NEVER sees it. GRRRR, I try to shut my yap because I crab enough about stuff but these dumb things make me crazy! He does a lot of good things too but those little dumb things are maddening!

Raenia

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12390 on: December 15, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »
Found out last minute that my Dad's girlfriend will be attending our early Christmas celebration with him this weekend, so I was rushing to find her a gift.  Decided to give her a bottle of wine that I got from my work gift exchange instead of buying something and drinking the wine ourselves.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12391 on: December 15, 2018, 09:37:00 AM »

We accept he fact that we pay a slightly higher price per journey, as we only make 2-4 trip a year. 0,75 euro per trip extra is peanuts. But it could be worth it for easily taking the buss.

I have dropped the question whether my mother is willing to pick us up from the nearest train station late in the evening. That would also solve the problem. We think 180s euro for a rental car for a week is too expensive.

Depending on where you need to go, Flixbus might also be an option. Really cheap, not as convenient as a rental car, but cheaper than NS and they have stops in locations that don't have a train station.

These days in many buses you can't pay cash anymore, so you need to pay by debit card or ov chipcard.

We luckily never have to go to places that are really remote, train, bus + Flixbus have gotten us all over the Benelux and Germany.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12392 on: December 15, 2018, 10:13:25 AM »
-Used a coupon & rewards to get my husband's Claritin for free yesterday
-Remembered to list a few Christmas ornaments on eBay, & one sold for $50.
Hey @MaybeBabyMustache - when he works through the Claritin, have him try the Costco generic, it's a fraction of the price. Stupid cheap. DH switched and says he can't tell any difference, except in his wallet. Funny guy.

Great job on the ornament. Was it something collectible or rare?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12393 on: December 15, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
@Dicey - good call. We're hoping he can figure out what's causing this enormous (body wide) allergic reaction. We're trying out various things.

On the ornament, it was a long since retired Swarovski crystal ornament, from when I was in college. Which. .. was quite a while ago. ;-)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12394 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
Didn’t buy new ornaments, did collect some pine cones and roast them in the oven (they get shiny and open up and supposedly it kills any lurking critters) and then hung them our “crab-pot Christmas tree” with paper-clip hooks.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12395 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:23 AM »
Not a small thing but we installed an outdoor wood burning furnance/boiler at the house a couple weeks ago that is tied into our HVAC and our water heater! We live in the country and have plenty of wood to provide free fuel, just need to clean up our "forest".  I expect this will save us ~ $1k per year in energy cost but it will also provide exercise and allow us to do some much needed "forest" maintenance/clean up on the property. In the 4 winter months last year we averaged 154 kWh per day! Since installing this thing we are down to an average of 92 kWh per day and I am expecting that to continue to decrease as we have only had the water heater connected for a couple days.  Yes that is still a lot of energy, no we don't have gas heat as an option.

Mind if I ask what the purchase and installation costs were?  I use an indoor wood burner, but have often thought about what it would do to be able to sent heat to 2.5 floors and not deal with the indoor mess.

pressure9pa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12396 on: December 16, 2018, 09:14:58 AM »
Yesterday Mrs. Pressure put many, many jars and Tupperware of various leftover veggies into a soup.  This morning I canned them into nine lunch-sized jars. 

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12397 on: December 16, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »
I took in scrap metal. Apparently my old sink faucet, rusty bent nails, broken drill bits and other random stuff was worth $10. It took a long time to fill those coffee cans, but I needed to do something with the random metal  scraps, I usually keep a can around as a way to clean up metal pieces.

At $0.07/lb for rusty nails, it takes awhile to make any money. More importantly, it gets all the random metal scraps out of my house.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12398 on: December 16, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Made a spatchcock chicken and put the back bone and all the scrap bones into the slow cooker with carrots, celery, onions, better than broth paste and water. Plus a little garlic powder. It will cook all night long to make bone broth.  The celery was a bit wimpy so good way to use it up. I poured in some of the drippings from the foil from cooking the chicken. There was a few onion slices and celery too. So all of that stuff will cook around 16 hours or more when I get up tomorrow morning. I just love making broth out of 'useless' bones and wimpy veggies!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12399 on: December 16, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
Never got dressed, never left the house. Put up Christmas decorations. Rested.