Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020914 times)

EarlyRetirementGuy

• Stubble
    • Early Retirement Guy
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1200 on: August 11, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
Exchanged £7.50 worth of supermarket voucher for £30 worth of restaurant voucher to fund our anniversary meal.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »
We went to Santa Barbara on vacation where the food is very expensive. We rented a house & shared with friends so it was cheaper then hotel and we cooked a lot of our food there.  Eating out was so expensive I could not believe it but we did it sometimes because after all we were on vacation.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1202 on: August 11, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
During our camping trip this weekend I discovered that I can empty the used grounds out of a Melita paper filter and reuse it to make more coffee.  So I only used one filter each day instead of one for every cup thus saving five cents per cup of coffee.

I also made kettle corn to nibble during the drive and filled a thermos with fresh coffee to take along.  So no stops at MacDonalds "Just for coffee," that end up costing five dollars.

On the trip home I thought about suggesting a stop at our favorite pie place which happens to be on the way but I resisted.  Home food is better anyway.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1203 on: August 12, 2014, 12:10:32 PM »
Cooked dinner (2 Euros) in the surprisingly well-equipped kitchen of my tiny Dutch airbnb apartment instead of going out for expensive university-town dinner (~15 Euros).

LanceBurkhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1204 on: August 12, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
Biked to work, brought lunch and a snack.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1205 on: August 12, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
Made breakfast using leftover dinner scraps and an egg.  For lunch, I had a leftovers from a kitchen experiment that didn't turn out well. 

I also carpooled. 

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1206 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
Made my breakfast tea with loose leaf tea that I buy in 1Kg. bags at a store that caters to Indian immigrants.  The first time I went I had no idea which brand to buy and a nice man kindly pointed out the one his mother buys.  He was a bit startled when I immediately grabbed 2Kg. but it turned out to be excellent advice.  Much cheaper than tea bags and good tea.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1207 on: August 12, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »
Made my breakfast tea with loose leaf tea that I buy in 1Kg. bags at a store that caters to Indian immigrants.  The first time I went I had no idea which brand to buy and a nice man kindly pointed out the one his mother buys.  He was a bit startled when I immediately grabbed 2Kg. but it turned out to be excellent advice.  Much cheaper than tea bags and good tea.
Awesome advice!  I buy loose leaf tea, but I never thought to buy it in bulk.  When I finish my current stash, I'll have to look into it!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1208 on: August 12, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
The off-peak prices on my train system kick in at 8:30am. I was early for my 8:40 train so I sat outside in the wind for 10 minutes until I could swipe in after 8:30 - saved 20%.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1209 on: August 12, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
Awesome advice!  I buy loose leaf tea, but I never thought to buy it in bulk.  When I finish my current stash, I'll have to look into it!

4Alpacas:  I find Indian or Russian stores to be the best for black tea and Chinese, Japanese or Korean stores to be the best for green tea.   Lucky us, we have it all in the Seattle area

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #1210 on: August 13, 2014, 09:47:23 AM »
Decided against a supermarket trip to stock up. Instead made lentil soup with cupboard ingredients and some leftover celery and potatoes.

Checked my bank balance and discovered I'd saved £300 more than I calculated this month.

Briefly considered going on ebay to spend £20 on something nice (my old unmustachian habit). Couldn't even think of anything I wanted. Gave up and read a book instead.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #1211 on: August 13, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
Found the bookshelf we were looking for on the street on the way home from the bar. Excellent!

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #1212 on: August 13, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
Worked from home.  Skipped breakfast and made a big lunch for the whole family from pantry items and some soon to expire veggies (that I would have otherwise thrown out).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1213 on: August 13, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
Visited Grocery Outlet today.  Considered the Betty Crocker Almond Joy Frosting in a Can for 50 cents.  Concluded I did not need it at any price.  Bought marked down yogurt and past date tahini instead.  Feeling very virtuous.  The trouble with Grocery Outlet is that they have such great deals on unhealthy food that it is easy to bring home something stupid just because "It's such a good deal"

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1214 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »
Walked to the grocery store and bought the cheapest store brand foaming hand soap in order to get the foamer which I will refill over and over until one of us dies.  I never knew that foaming soap meant that I could dilute it until I came here.  I can also see that it will make people use less since nobody holding a big handful of foam will think they need a second squirt. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1215 on: August 15, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
My reading light died and it was the socket that was bad.  Haven't seen any used reading lights on Craig's List ever out here.  I hate electrical work, but went to ACE Hardware and got a new socket.  After some words and help from DW I have a new/repaired reading light for $3.99 (+tax) instead of $80.  Saved about $76 by doing the repair myself instead of buying new.  Smoke test showed no smoke.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1216 on: August 15, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »
Took my $10 off of $30 coupon to World Market to stock up on olive oil and sea salt.  Saw a scarf I liked on clearance on the way in, and started the whole... well, it would sorta' be free with the coupon... but got my $30 in foodstuffs I would have bought anyway and hightailed it out of there without the scarf.

Used my Discover card for the 5% cash back when gassing up my car.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1217 on: August 15, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
Hubby strung me up a clothesline in our backyard and my first load is out there, flapping away in the wind! YAY!

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #1218 on: August 15, 2014, 05:59:46 PM »
We've been keeping the thermostat at 80 and line drying clothes for the the last few weeks. I am tracking our daily kWh usage and so far we are using 33% less than usual AND this has been the hottest month so far! Can't wait until things cool off a little and we can try to go a whole month without using ac!

PilotsWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1219 on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
I bought a used bike from a local non-profit! Husband is enthused & took his old bike in for a tune-up. Hopefully this initial spending will lead to tons of savings as we phase out our car.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1220 on: August 15, 2014, 08:57:21 PM »
Purchased 6 garbage bags full of barley used, brand named (not that it matters) good quality  used clothing for 40.00 Sorted through them and  took what I wanted - literally enough cloths to last me a couple of years for every season and situation, and am in the process of reselling the rest in lots divided by size. So far I've made 50.00!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1221 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:33 PM »
We've been keeping the thermostat at 80 and line drying clothes for the the last few weeks. I am tracking our daily kWh usage and so far we are using 33% less than usual AND this has been the hottest month so far! Can't wait until things cool off a little and we can try to go a whole month without using ac!

Oh yeah... I turned the AC off the other day and have gone back to running fans with the windows open at night.  Hoping we can go the rest of the summer without, though it was getting pretty toasty inside tonight. 

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #1222 on: August 16, 2014, 07:15:19 AM »
Replaced split truck heater hose myself, $6 new hose and $15 for coolant.

It's a small thing because it really is a 5 minute job to do yourself but a whole PITA to have a mechanic do it.

Nancy

« Reply #1223 on: August 16, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »
Brought home leftover food from a meeting yesterday for free dinner for two.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1224 on: August 16, 2014, 08:22:55 AM »
Listening to an excellent book on the Muslim conquest of Spain that I downloaded from the library.  Libraries are wonderful!!!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1225 on: August 16, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
Didn't go out to the market this morning. Have enough food in the house so nice as it is to buy the fresh stuff when the farmers' market is heaving with it, I just didn't even go near it today. At this stage just about anywhere I'd spend money is closed so when I go out shortly to check on a friend's cat while she's away, I'll just grab some milk at the supermarket and that'll be that.

DrJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1226 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Been going through the freezer to run stuff down.  It's too full and I forgot about those great dishes I cooked and froze extra portions.  I have at least two weeks of dinners right there.  Also cleared out garage to sell stuff I haven't used- like for ever- golf clubs, kayaking gear, 36 Qt. cooking pot, drill stand.  Just getting back to some basics....

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: August 16, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »
Listening to an excellent book on the Muslim conquest of Spain that I downloaded from the library.  Libraries are wonderful!!!

Sounds interesting.  What is the title?  Thanks.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1228 on: August 16, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »

The book is called "God's Crucible." by David Levering Lewis.   I would also recommend "Destiny Disrupted." by Tamin Ansary.   Both downloadable as audio books from the Seattle Public Library which uses the Overdrive system.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1229 on: August 16, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
I polished the yellowed headlight lenses on the old car.

1. Washed the lens good and rinsed well.
2. Polished the lens with Silicone Dioxide polish and old t-shirt. Anyone who cuts and polishes rocks will give you 1/2 to 1 ounce if you know them.  Or buy a kit from an auto store.
3. Dried the lens with another rag and let it set to make sure it was dry.
4. Mixed 50-50 Helmsman Clear Gloss with UV protection with paint thinner (didn't have mineral spirits).
5. Applied the mixture in a very thin coat using a 1" foam brush.

Things to do next time...pick a day when the wind isn't blowing...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1230 on: August 16, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »

The book is called "God's Crucible." by David Levering Lewis.   I would also recommend "Destiny Disrupted." by Tamin Ansary.   Both downloadable as audio books from the Seattle Public Library which uses the Overdrive system.

Thank you!!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1231 on: August 16, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
Patched my paint pants.  So, yes, the pants that a year ago got retired to being for painting only got patched so they could be used for a little  bit longer.  God I'm cheap.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1232 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33:53 PM »
Remembered to press the "Air Dry" button on my dishwasher.

Started planning a house swap with a friend in Germany so we can both enjoy summer vacations next year with a house and car already covered.

Boz86

• Stubble
« Reply #1233 on: August 17, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »

Is there a limit to how many times you can polish the lights? Been wondering that.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #1234 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:39 AM »
I painted two unfinished wooden chairs for my kitchen.  I used a wood spray paint, in a color called green apple.  They look incredible, and the paint only cost $7.  I'm not sure how much the chairs cost, as I got them a year ago, but I think they were $50 each. 

I had matching chairs for the kitchen table, but got rid of them as they were too formal for the kitchen.  Now I have a bunch of mismatched chairs that are much more interesting and funky.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1235 on: August 17, 2014, 08:21:41 AM »

Is there a limit to how many times you can polish the lights? Been wondering that.

I intend to polish them until I wear a hole in the plastic lens.  These cost about $400 to replace.  Polishing with a special kit only costs about $20, and the kit is good for 2-3 polishes.  The way I do it, it is almost free because I use stuff I normally have on hand.

Without putting the clear gloss on the lens, you get to polish them about twice a year.  With the clear gloss UV protection, you can get up to two years between polishing.

Mini-Mer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1236 on: August 17, 2014, 11:09:06 AM »
Turned out to be a small thing - I signed up for a Roth 401K at my new job, and hadn't gotten around to calling GR about switching over  ...Poking around on the website this morning, it turns out it's just a setting in the contribution allocations.  Fixed!

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #1237 on: August 17, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
Received a lovely painting on fabric from a friend in the mail last week.  Instead of buying a frame for it, we built a frame out of pine scraps in the garage, stretched the fabric across it, and now have a lovely new painting hanging on the wall in the bedroom.  Looks like stretched canvas.

Smaller son's preschool/daycare requires uniforms for the class he's moving into this month.  Trying to avoid paying the exorbitant prices for the embroidered polos and shorts....found brand-new-with-tags shorts at Once Upon A Child last night ($3.50 a pop!) and still searching for used/hand-me-down polos.  These are proving more elusive, but I'm not giving up, as they're $16 new and the embroidered ones are "required" (grr.)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1238 on: August 17, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »
Just got back from the gym of outdoors.  The Hub and I are using a hilly road in the State Forest to train for our hike into the Canadian Rockies to see the Burgess Shale.  The only way to see this legendary fossil site is to take a Canadian Park Service guided hiking trip which, according to people who have done it, goes better if you have prepared your hill climbing muscles.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: August 17, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
Today, I treated the wife and myself to a movie at the local cinema for no cost.  I've been saving up My Coke Rewards points for the past year and since I don't drink much soda, I enlisted the help of friends and family who passed on all their bottle caps and codes from 12 packs and cases of Coke products.  I had enough points for two free movie passes and two free large sodas from the concessions stand.  We rode our bikes to the theatre, so it didn't even cost us any gas.

Cost of a matinee: $7 a ticket
Cost of a large soda: $5.50 each
Total Savings: $25

If we had gone to an evening show which costs $12 a ticket, then we would have saved $35.

Not a bad deal.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: August 17, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
For lunch, put out leftover fixings from taco salad last night, and brought out a bag of burrito wraps. So easy for me!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1241 on: August 17, 2014, 03:03:40 PM »
I bought a watermelon on sale. Now I have watermelon rind chutney in my crockpot. Trying for the first time, hope it is tasty!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1242 on: August 17, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
I bought a watermelon on sale. Now I have watermelon rind chutney in my crockpot. Trying for the first time, hope it is tasty!

I will be very interested in how this comes out. Please post.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #1243 on: August 17, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
1. Contract was up with Sprint yesterday so I switched to Ting this morning :)

2. I replaced the rear window lock/latch on my car rather than paying the mechanic.  I learned more about my old car while spending the afternoon outside with my husband, and saved $100 in labor that otherwise would have gone to the mechanic.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1244 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »
4. Mixed 50-50 Helmsman Clear Gloss with UV protection with paint thinner (didn't have mineral spirits).

Looks great!

Thanks for the tip on the sealant.  I bought & used the "Mothers PowerBall 4Lights Headlight Restoration Kit" last summer and my headlights are just as cloudy a year later.  I don't have any polyurethane on hand, I'll have to check the auto parts store for options.

For my small thing today: I packed my lunch, and damn it I'm eating it, even though I am not excited about it. 

My husband did better: biked our daughter to daycare, biked himself to work, and is increasing this participation in the Employee Stock Purchase program (making money, rather than saving as per the thread, but still yay!)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:41:49 AM by RelaxedGal »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1245 on: August 18, 2014, 10:13:17 AM »
Working from home, so no gas used.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1246 on: August 18, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »

Looks great!

Thanks for the tip on the sealant.  I bought & used the "Mothers PowerBall 4Lights Headlight Restoration Kit" last summer and my headlights are just as cloudy a year later.  I don't have any polyurethane on hand, I'll have to check the auto parts store for options.

For my small thing today: I packed my lunch, and damn it I'm eating it, even though I am not excited about it. 

My husband did better: biked our daughter to daycare, biked himself to work, and is increasing this participation in the Employee Stock Purchase program (making money, rather than saving as per the thread, but still yay!)

I used a 3M kit that I bought on Amazon ($3 after mail-in rebate).  I was a bit labor intensive, but it worked well.

Today, I carpooled.  Packed my lunch with freezer left overs, packed home brewed iced tea, had an apple for breakfast, and sent a friend my WalMart delivery shopping code ($10 off my next order & his). 

Tonight, I plan to make something exciting for dinner using pantry ingredients (shout out to the 'eat all the food in your house' thread in the forum for all of the recipes and help).

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1247 on: August 18, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
Stuck my friend's phone number in my wallet.  Now when I shop at Fred Meyer, she can get the points on her grocery card.  I don't shop there much but since it is the only grocery store within walking distance I do pick up an onion or something once in a while. She might as well have the points to reduce the cost of gas when they fill their RV. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1248 on: August 18, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »

Looks great!

The Helmsman Spar with UV protection can be bought at a hardware store or Walmart.  Buy the smallest can available.  Same for the paint thinner/mineral spirits.  I have it on hand in larger quantities because of my wood carving.  This sealant will let the lens last about 2 years before you have to do it again.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #1249 on: August 18, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »
I was going to say that I didn't do anything big, but I guess small things is the point of this discussion:

- public transit to work (subsidized by employer), long walk home
- bagged lunch (giant salad with 5-6 veggies grown in my own garden with a cheap protein source of hard boiled eggs)
- figured out a way to get to an after work industry wine-and-cheese event this week via public transit, saving $15-20/day for parking my car
- opted out of a office golf tournament and pricey after-party (we're expected to contribute to a fundraising silent auction )
- part of my work outfit is clothes from a clothing swap with friends

Little things all, but collectively they're allowing me to reach my goals.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!