Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020931 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1950 on: December 09, 2014, 08:09:22 AM »
Last night:

I realized my roommate's car was parked behind mine in the driveway.  Instead of asking him to move it, I walked to the grocery store to get green onions when I realized I forgot to get them over the weekend for my homemade kimchi.

I then made homemade kimchi for the first time.  We'll see if it comes out tasting any good.

Started a batch of kefir.

Made 8 servings of chili in the pressure cooker, then plopped them into pint-sized mason jars and froze them all except one (my lunch today).

I made four chocolate coconut milk banana breakfast shakes and stashed them in the fridge.

"Used up" some brown rice pasta to clear out the cabinet.  Yes, after all that fancy food prep, I had pasta for dinner.  I enjoyed it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1951 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
Breakfast was amazing homemade Italian bread, toasted, with homemade apple cider jelly. Then I started making enchiladas for dinner by cooking presoaked beans stashed in the freezer. I'll incorporate some leftovers into the filling, as well as some homemade canned salsa. Lunch will be leftover chick pea and potato curry.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1952 on: December 09, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
One of the things I'm trying to work on is not wasting any food.  I meal planned for the week, but we seem to not be eating at the rate I thought we would, so I've redone the meal plan.  This way I'll use up the fresh food before it goes bad and manage to keep some of the canned and frozen stuff for later. 

Also, all of my entertainment lately is either library-based, having friends over for tea and dessert, or cycling.  Inexpensive and yet seemingly so luxurious. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1953 on: December 09, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »
Lately I've:

~Staved off a former co-worker from pitching her new "nutrition shakes" sales program at me.
~Last week at least 3 suppers were freezer leftovers.
~Decreased the thermostat by another 1 degrees.
~Christmas gift shopping will include at least 5 coupons.
~This month's grocery shopping will include approximately $40 in coupons
~Will reuse a Christmas tin from last year for a cookie exchange.
~Mended my favorite pair of black slacks.
~Asked DH to glue the bottom of one of my loose shoe sole.
~Am going to pair my dentist cleaning appointment 60 miles away with Christmas shopping afterwards.
~Made my own cafe mocha at home
~Assembled 10 work outfits, some in new combos, to somewhat satisfy my new work wardrobe wants.
~Shopped my HBA bought-on-sale-with-coupons stockpile in lieu of having to buy some items at full price later on this week.
~Analyzed, trimmed, and finalized my Christmas list to fit my budget.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1954 on: December 09, 2014, 02:46:52 PM »
Got sick(er) at work, finished urgent tasks, came home and put my still-frozen lunch leftovers back in the freezer. However, I will probably ask my husband to buy me some canned soup on his way home, because he forgot to put the leftover turkey stew I thought I'd eat in the freezer while I was on a business trip this weekend, and I think it's probably too old for safety now.

Editing to add he didn't call before he drove home, but he did dig me out a can of chicken soup from the bottom of the pantry, so all is good there.

Not so money saving: it's back to the doctor tomorrow, as I have fever and swollen red and white spotty hurty throat... I suspect strep.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:03:05 PM by Rural »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1955 on: December 09, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
Forgot to put the furnace back on last night before bed (have been turning it off in the day) and it was remarkably fine in here:-)

Turning off lights constantly! (Kids these days!)

Did laundry in cold water. Will hang to dry.

Keeping lists of gifts so I don't overbuy (this has definitely been my tendency in the past!)

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #1956 on: December 11, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Way back in the mists of time, when I started my job 8 1/2 years ago, I signed up for the basic life insurance, and then promptly forgot about it. In those pre-MMM days, I didn't think much about it, and I can't remember if I even paid attention to the amount of the benefit.

Just realized today that I've been paying $18 per paycheck for this insurance, which (I just checked) pays out a bit more than my yearly salary. I purchased far more life insurance, for less money, about five years ago.

So, OK, facepunch me for not paying attention to this. But I cancelled it today! So that's a savings of about $470 per year.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1957 on: December 11, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
Made a loaf of bread in the bread machine. Still amazes me how with 2 minutes of assembly time, I can have a piping hot loaf of bread ready in 58 minutes! Served it with a little cheddar cheese for lunch and it was delicious. I should really start another loaf for accompanying dinner.

Furnace off during the day. Its been quite mild here.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1958 on: December 11, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
Adjusted my thermostat times and lowered the temperatures!

BetsyS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1959 on: December 12, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »
Realized i didn't have time to cook the bacon this morning that I thought i was going to put in a BLT. Figured i was just going to have to buy my lunch and eat the loss (so to speak)

Then remembered there was some leftover steak in the fridge my SO brought home from a company dinner last night. put that on top of leftover washed lettuce and cucumbers from yesterdays sandwich, threw in some cheese, and scrabbled together a salad to bring in to work in 30 seconds!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1960 on: December 12, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
Just ground left over roast pork shoulder to make a double batch of Chinese steamed buns.  The dough is rising as we speak.  I am experimenting with half the normal amount of yeast.  I have all day and if it rises slowly I will cook them at 2:00 p.m. instead of 11:00 a.m.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1961 on: December 12, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
Tonight's pizza dough is in the fridge, resting. Toppings are Costco cheese, homemade sauce from canned CSA tomatoes, random left-over bits from this week's dinners, and on-sale pepperoni.

We have dessert once a week, and I'm about to go make some cookies with the same flavors as dark chocolate Almond Joys, the favorite chocolate bar of the tmac household. I'm seriously excited about it. I might be able to buy a cheap-o dessert for the same cost, but I can't imagine it would taste as good and would contain lots of processed crap. I'll also tuck away a tin of them to give my dad for Christmas.

Today, I did our Christmas shopping online. Our kids know that they each have a $100 budget, so their lists were very specific and reasonable. My son even included suggestions for free things we could do for him (help with various projects), instead of things to buy. So far, we're under budget and they'll get any remaining funds in cash, deposited into the Bank of Mom.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1962 on: December 12, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Walked 2 times to the eye dr - 15 minutes each way.  Had to go 2 times, since the staff found some additional information I had to look at.  However that 1 hour of walking goes towards my exercise time.  So I was frugal and healthy.

Took a hospital run shuttle to the dr instead of public transportation. 

Baked 2 cheescakes at the same time in the oven.  1 for an office party (used what I had instead of contributing money for the lunch,) and the 2nd is in the freezer ready for an additional Christmas party later in the month. 

Took home some office christmas party leftovers, so I'll got lunch all prepared for a few days.  All I have to do is heat up.  Someone bought a panettone, but didn't even open it to share.  So at the end during clean up, no one else wanted it, so I took it.  I was going to store to buy one, but now I got one for free, for basically helping clean up.  I know it's not MMM to buy a panettone, but I just love the stuff.

Mended the sleeve of my pjs. 

These are all small things, but it helps me appreciate the small things and keeps me on MMM track.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1963 on: December 12, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »
Turned leftover turkey into a half-gallon of stock. Canned it. Froze the leftovers for soup or turkey salad, whatever else in the future. Participated in the LendingClub IPO, made $1200. Promptly stuck the gains to round out my IRA for the year. Walked to Rockefeller center with Pitagirl instead of taking the subway (though we took the subway back... It was about 25 blocks). Pitagirl turned off the heat when she left to walk around NYC with me. And is reading 'your money or your life' :).

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1964 on: December 12, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Did not buy a real Christmas tree today.

We have a very small fake tree that has done us just fine for the last 8 years.  I am very tempted to get a large, real tree now that we have a house with room for it, but the $20 is better left in the bank account.

Drove past the tree-seller twice, though.  And even with chanting "not going to buy this, not going to buy this, not going to buy this", I still asked DD to have a look and see how much they were charging.

But I kept driving.  yay me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 04:41:29 PM by homehandymum »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1965 on: December 13, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
For a Christmas party today I'm bringing homemade catnip toys (from homegrown catnip) and homemade dog treats as gifts for everyone.  Also, as food I'm making garlic mashed potatoes, delicious and inexpensive to make!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1966 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »
This was not completely intentional, but I slept in instead of going to church a few towns over and then going out to breakfast. Wouldn't want to do this every week, but it saved me about $11.50 including tolls, parking meter, a gallon of gas, coffee and a breakfast sandwich. It's a bit of a lose-win, though,  since I would've liked to have been there for Mass and also would've enjoyed breakfast. I made coffee at home with my cat and enjoyed some homemade cornbread instead.

I just updated my Upromise account with my current information. In 12 years, I've accumulated $0.96, and when the account reaches $10, the money can be transferred to a student. I was saving for my little sister, but she's already a sophomore in college. At this rate, I should change it to save for nieces who are 7 and 4. My information had been mostly out of date, though, so maybe I'll save more in the future.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1967 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
Finally got to putting up the plastic on my windows. And I got a door thingy installed to stop the draft under the door.

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #1968 on: December 13, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
Cleaned my gutters.  Messy work, takes me about 2 hours.  Luckily my roof has a very gradual pitch so I can splay myself on top of it and crawl down the line with very little risk of falling (much safer than being on a ladder, I think -- I never feel unsafe or at risk in this position).  But still, it takes a while and it was pretty cold out, so I'm patting myself on the back now.  Saved $150 doing it myself today --  I tend to clean them twice a year, fall and spring.  Just got to it a little late this year.

Two9A

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • On the long road to zero net worth
« Reply #1969 on: December 13, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »
I'm fitting a door this weekend, so I needed some bits for it (handles, latch and such like). I was about to pick them up at a big hardware store, when I remembered that I had store credit from a refund at a smaller store nearby. So I bought the bits there instead.

Half the price, and $0 out of pocket. Not bad.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1970 on: December 14, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
I love my job, but this week a certain someone made a few really awful decisions that will probably get him fired and I'm the one who had to rat him out and provide evidence.  I'm having guilt, lots of anger, disbelief, and a few other things.

My usual remedy for an awful stretch at work used to be going to get my hair dyed and cut. 

Today I did both myself.  I used the $3 box of dye (which will last just fine because I use baking soda and vinegar to wash my hair) and the pony tail method of cutting.

I'm now a really angry shade of burgundy with some nice layers.  And I do feel a bit better.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1971 on: December 14, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Took our own coffee along in a thermos when we went out for banana fritters.  We used to buy the fritters and then walk over to the next shop for the coffee but then one day we realized how silly that was.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1972 on: December 14, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Today has been the day for finding things. 

Found:  my winter riding gloves.  I'd nearly given up and ordered a new pair.
My old iPod Shuffle, which disappeared when we moved, almost 5 years ago
My new iPod Shuffle, which I misplaced about six weeks ago, and hadn't made a concerted effort to find until today
A pair of cool painted ceramic cabinet knobs.  I almost bought some at World Market yesterday, then decided against it.  Put these on the little buffet cabinet I gave a facelift to last weekend in lieu of replacing it like I'd been planning.  Now to add two more knobs, and it will be like a whole new piece.  Maybe I can even find something in my spare junk out in the shop...

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #1973 on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
Not today, but yesterday: SO and I made an awesome beef stew according to very mustachian principles.  We went to the store to see what meat was on sale.  We then planned the meal around that -- I already had carrots and potatoes.  Then I made two really awesome loaves of white bread from scratch.  This is the first time I had ever done that.  The kids *loved* it.  I spent $10 on a bottle of cabernet, 1/3 of which went into the stew, 1/3 of which we drank, and we'll save the rest of it till next weekend (it takes us two to three weeks to get through a bottle).

The whole meal probably cost $5, and we have enough for at least one more whole meal.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1974 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
Lets see how far I can take a turkey from thanksgiving. It cost ~$20. Upon cooking, it was 2 servings. Took off the rest of the meat, froze 2 bags full, left one in the fridge, turned the turkey into 1/2 gallon (4 pints) of stock (add $2 for lids, need to find these cheaper). One bag of meat was turned into turkey salad, 3 portions. Add $1 for the other ingredients. Took 1 pint of the stock, 1 thing of tomato sauce ($0.50), and some carrots ($0.50) and made soup (4 portions).

9 portions thus far with 2 bags and 3 pints remaining. If used the same way as above, this equates to $29 spent for 27 portions. Approximately $1/serving :D.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1975 on: December 15, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »
Coming home from the dentist today I thought,"You've been to dentist.  You deserve potato chips."  Then I drove past the grocery store and came home.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1976 on: December 15, 2014, 04:17:43 PM »
Triple batch of ginger snaps: 1/3 for a party on Tuesday, 1/3 for the friend who came over and made them with the kids and 1/3 for our family for eating over the holidays (will put 1/2 in the freezer).

Turning off lights.

Discovered that 7 year old unplugged the garage freezer instead of the Christmas lights last night, but thankfully, we caught it in time today and its cold outside. Everything on the very top was still frozen solid <whew> that could have been a huge loss, since I have a side of beef in there!

Homemade pancakes from a mix on sixfiguresunder.com We love this mix!! Our guest thought they were fantastic, especially with the hint of cinnamon!

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1977 on: December 16, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
Transferred a prescription to the mail order pharmacy, saving $20/month. Found a little locally owned pharmacy that gives away children's vitamins. You can come in once a month and get a 30 day supply for your child(ren). Saves a couple of dollars. It all adds up!

CharChar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1978 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
I paid off the last of my student loans!!!! its kind of a big one for me because I am now officially debt free (except for my mortgage)!!! YEAH BABY! :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1979 on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
Had to be home for 1/2 day with sick toddler.  Picked up the big boy from school and opted NOT to go out for frozen yogurt with the friends who all congregated there.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1980 on: December 16, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
Taking a jar of my homemade pancake mix and a tiny bottle of real maple syrup to a gift exchange.

Cooked a chicken from the freezer in the crockpot for dinner, used up some brown rice to go with it and will slice some fresh veggies.

Turned off heat during the day.

Son is changing his own spark plugs in his car in our garage .. smart boy!

Combined errands to run while son was at guitar lessons -- man its busy out at this time of year!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1981 on: December 16, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
I scheduled an extra car payment for the total amount I've made recently selling a juicer, car seat covers, ski goggles and several books.

Used caring for my horses as a (real) excuse for dodging drinks and dinner out with my work group for a second night in a row.  Then went to the gym and ate a salad and am enjoying a glass of Bota Box instead.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #1982 on: December 17, 2014, 09:07:45 AM »
I paid off the last of my student loans!!!! its kind of a big one for me because I am now officially debt free (except for my mortgage)!!! YEAH BABY! :)

Woo! Congratulations !!

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1983 on: December 17, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
Had free lunch at work for the Holiday Luncheon.  HR Manager observed me grabbing a few peppermints off the table and she asked if I liked them.  I said, "I love peppermints!"  Ten minutes later she called me and told me to come to her office.  She had gathered a massive pile of them for me since not many people took any!!!  AND I'm taking three of the leftover cookies home for the family since I now keep baggies in my desk at all times for circumstances like these. Double score!!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1984 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Realized my usual dentist (with whom I had an appt next week) does not take my new insurance plan. Cancelled appt and found a new dentist that does take my insurance.

BaldingStoic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1985 on: December 17, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
My wife used rain water to do the laundry. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1986 on: December 23, 2014, 01:09:15 AM »
Grocery shopped at the cheap grocery store, and also cashed in tons of points to get $250 off my groceries.

Made hot chocolate mix for some neighbours. Made candy can brittle tonight for the other neighbours.  Recycled jars to put them in.

Didn't have lasagne noodles for a crockpot recipe I was making today, so subbed in bow tie noodles. It worked perfectly.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1987 on: December 23, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
Relatives "borrowed" the high quality wrapping paper that I bought at deep discount last January.  So, my presents are wrapped Furoshiki style in cloth that I had planned to give away.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1988 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:19 AM »
Company asked what they could bring to dinner we were hosting, so we asked if they'd mind bringing a tray of Christmas baking. They gladly obliged and we got to try some new Christmas treats!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1989 on: December 25, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
I found out on Christmas Eve that the two boxes of Christmas decorations I had gathered over the years had gone moldy in my basement. That mold problem, I'll solve on a different day.

I decorated using a nativity scene that I bought very inexpensively at a garage sale in the summer. (Never got around to putting it in the basement!) I am working on a temporary contract in a different location, and rent a second house there. (Lucrative contract, so it is worth it for the medium term.) I had bought a pre-lit wreath for that house, and decorated it with pine cones and Christmas balls. I brought the wreath with me because I won't be in the second house during another Christmas season. I put it on the wall in my own house, and put the extra pine cones and Christmas balls in a bowl by a brass lamp. And I put a tiny pine tree in a pot on the window sill. The tree was one of dozens that our cafeteria at work had as centrepieces during December, and gave away this week.

The décor in  my living room includes a lot of deep red, so it all looks very festive. And fun that it is different from what I usually do. 

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1990 on: December 25, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
I went online and changed my 401(k) contribution rate to 75% (hoping to front load and potentially max out before I decide to quit this PITA job!) and also changed my "investment direction" to the newly available Vanguard Intermediate-term Bond Fund which is the lowest cost option (and also more in line with where I should be putting my money at this age).  I won't have any choice but to live on less than 25% of my income (since taxes and health insurance will lower my take home even more!).

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1991 on: December 25, 2014, 04:40:03 PM »
Bulk cooking!!

I've cooked about 8 pounds of potatoes in three different dishes and 5 pounds of chicken.  I've also been using up cans of beans, frozen vegetables, and an open jar of salsa.  I'm using up items in our kitchen because I have no desire to go to the grocery store. 

I'm also snuggling up under blankets instead of turning on our heat. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1992 on: December 25, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
Two words:  rechargable batteries.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1993 on: December 25, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Carpooled with the family to visit other relatives. Potluck and bon fires and great conversation.

An uncle of mine would buy all Christmas presents just after Christmas at a steep discount. You'd get your gift sometime after New Year's day.

getgoing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1994 on: December 25, 2014, 08:03:43 PM »
Made discount-vegetable-curry with lazy-homemade-flat bread.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1995 on: December 25, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
Made my own custard for Christmas pudding instead of buying it.

Made my own stuffing in the crockpot instead of store-bought mix.

Made my own gravy from turkey drippings instead of gravy from a packet.

It would seem odd to me to NOT do these things, but many friends and family do just that!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1996 on: December 26, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Finally ate my homemade kimchi that I made a while back.  Never had kimchi before at all.  It was pretty great!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1997 on: December 26, 2014, 04:25:53 PM »
Streaming songza for music today. Eating leftovers ALL. DAY. LONG. Lights being switched off. Sitting by my gas fireplace drinking cups of tea to keep warm. Shopped for wrapping paper, Christmas cards, and a few other consumable Christmas items at the 50% off sale at Walmart. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1998 on: December 26, 2014, 04:54:09 PM »
Not turning the aircon on, although I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and the summer has decided to arrive.  It's not actually that hot - I'm just not coping with it very well. 

Drinking lots of cold water from an insulated cup.

My one Boxing Day purchase was a discounted Kindle, which I've wanted for several years, and which is my family's Christmas gift to me.  It was the kindle 6, wifi, so not the latest model, but the cheapest in store, and still way better than any that were available when I first wanted one 5 years ago.

The advantages of being a late-adopter!

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1999 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
Stroller wheels were really up for replacement but the supplier didn't call back on whether they were available or not. Since it also snowed I did a dirty hackjob of adding bigger wheels. All materials were surplus so zero cost for the hack job

It's not even close to pretty but gives lots of laughs and rolls surprisingly well considering the used materials and freehand assembling :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!