Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020651 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #9150 on: June 27, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »
"Paying for parking is a sign from God that you’re in an area not designed for a car." --Pete Adney

* Avoided a $6 parking fee (plus tip if you valet!) at UCLA today by taking the cargo bike (first time with all three kids) to the transit center and then catching one of the many buses between there and the university.

* Made coffee and oatmeal at home.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #9151 on: June 27, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »
Rode bike to workshop today and brought my lunch like usual.  Listened to an audiobook downloaded from the library during my morning and afternoon commute.

This evening, spouse, kid and I took the electric car downtown, found metered parking in off hours so didn't pay for parking, took homemade turkey sandwiches, iced tea and fruit for a picnic at a free outdoor jazz concert.

Had a great day!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9152 on: June 27, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
Today I made 8 loaves of bread (23 cups of flour!) - was happy to slice it and wrap it up for my deep freeze to be used by me at home with the younger kids plus the university kids home for the summer and working labor jobs where they need to take a BIG lunch. I need to get ahead of them! If I get motivated tomorrow I may make 4 more.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9153 on: June 28, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
Accidentally posted this in the small-things-to-save-environment thread!

Replaced gas burner tube and igniter in oven.  Tube had a hole in it next to the igniter, which was probably reason why igniters were burning out so fast.

Replaced water pump on fridge. Now our icemaker works... really awesome!

Found new covers for my couch on ebay for 1/4th of the price at store.

It's been a great week for home repair, although once I started gloating, our car decided I was saving too much  money and decided it needed a little quality time in the shop. I don't do cars. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9154 on: June 28, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
The magic smoke* came out of my bread machine earlier this week, so I went to the thrift store in search of a replacement (I make all our bread). $7 later and I have a new fancy model that can make larger loaves.

Also found the manufacture sticker on the old one and discovered I was wrong about its age in previous posts - I thought I'd gotten it about 2003 because I remember moving it into an apartment around then. Nope. 1997. I'd say I got my money's worth over the intervening 20 years.

* You all know about magic smoke, right? It's captured inside electrical appliances and makes them go. When the magic smoke gets out, the appliance is dead. Especially if it lets out enough to set off the smoke alarm...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9155 on: June 28, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
-We moved to a smaller town last year, and I sadly said goodbye to my cheap beauty school haircuts. I haven't cut my hair since- after a friend with a similar hair texture tried to DIY hers and it went poorly, I didn't want to do my own, DH is too afraid to do it, and I couldn't swallow the cost of a salon visit! BUT, when I was riding my bike today I spotted a little beauty school! So Friday I get my hair cut for $6-10. Always a little bit of a gamble, but I figure it's less than if I was doing it myself! Haha.

-Followed our meal plan and used chicken that needed used, even though it wasn't what sounded good for dinner.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9156 on: June 28, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
Reworked leftovers for dinner tonight.  Broke up the meatloaf and added some taco seasoning.  Picked the brown bits out of the leftover salad.  Crushed the last of the tortilla chips in the bottom of the bag.  Mixed it all together and had taco salad.  Both tasty and cleaned out the fridge a bit.  That's a win in my book.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 07:06:08 AM by NV Teacher »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9157 on: June 29, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
For a trip to the south in september, I didn't just book, but asked if the guesthouse had a special price for us who wanted to stay for a whole week. Then I got it 5 euro cheaper per day.
My DH is for his job staying in a hotel. He is going to pay with his cash back credit card, which is this month giving him some percentage back on travel-spending. He will invoice the full hotel bill and plane ticket bill to his boss.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9158 on: June 29, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
Returned some knives I bought. The rep who sold me them did so under false pretenses, so I sent all but one back. ~$300 refund.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #9159 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:48 PM »
Decided to ride all the way home yesterday evening, instead of just riding to the outermost bus stop and bussing from there. But one bike path was closed, I had no map, got turned around, and in the end it was a 66-km ride! But I did it, and survived! And I saw deer on the bike path.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9160 on: June 29, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
Free lunch and ice cream at work!

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9161 on: June 29, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I didn't buy lunch despite the fact that I didn't bring any. I snagged some food from an earlier meeting and ate a lot of free donuts. Not healthy but freeeeeee.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9162 on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »
Skipped lunch.  Didn't bring anything and the crew was going out.  Decided to tough it out.

Stopped by the bank because they were giving free vouchers for a half gallon BYU Creamery ice cream to every member this month.

MyPlanBLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 56 years old
« Reply #9163 on: June 29, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »
Saw side table in great shape at side of road, brought it home, popped it on Craigslist.  Sold! $25 in my pocket!  Bingo!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9164 on: June 30, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Decided to ride all the way home yesterday evening, instead of just riding to the outermost bus stop and bussing from there. But one bike path was closed, I had no map, got turned around, and in the end it was a 66-km ride! But I did it, and survived! And I saw deer on the bike path.

Wow, you must have tremendous muscles!!  Good for you!

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #9165 on: June 30, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Forgot my lunch at home, so instead of going to the restaurant, I bought some veggie chili mix in the bulk section ($1.20, made 4 servings = 30 cents), a marked down cabbage to make a salad ($1.00, made 2 servings = 50 cents), and day old whole grain buns (12 pack, $1.00 = 8 cents). Total cost for lunch 88 cents!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9166 on: July 02, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
Bought some leather dye and finishing wax ($15) and re-dyed a bridle to match my saddle rather than spending $100+ on a new bridle. I also discovered that I could use nail polish remover rather than getting a bottle of the special leather-deglazing product for $8. So far it is turning out nicely and was pretty easy to do.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9167 on: July 02, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
I had a wonderfully thrifty weekend.

Put off grocery shopping, so I didn't spend any money.

Marty came over for dinner, we cooked and watched a movie. Always fun to have a Mustachian friend over and knowing it's totally acceptable to say, "Are you cold? Here, have a blanket." :D

Cold-washed, line-dried all my clothes.

Went for a walk in the sun and listened to a podcast.

Listed a couple of things on eBay to bring in extra cash.

All very low-fuss, low-stuff and very soothing after a hectic week.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #9168 on: July 03, 2017, 02:45:29 PM »
in the end it was a 66-km ride! But I did it, and survived!
Wow, you must have tremendous muscles!!  Good for you!

I have big leg muscles from carrying my stomach around! :-)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9169 on: July 03, 2017, 03:16:02 PM »
I put back the quiche. Our brunch guests will get homemade eggy veggie chessie something.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9170 on: July 03, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
Sewed my dog's "stuffed friend"'s throat back up.  Her toys are 50 cent thrift store stuffed animals (sans buttons, zippers, beads) that are mended until they aren't safe for the washing machine anymore.  By the end, they are more Frankenstein than stuffed animal...but she loves them....

Husband is mowing the grass.  We don't pay for it, but every time he does it he considers making the call....so...win?

Working on painting some more Christmas and birthday gifts.

Almost bought a new swimsuit...didn't.  My old one isn't my favorite, but I only use a suit a few times a year anyway.....

Husband accidentally brought home a fancy hotel towel from his convention this past week....so, pretty white towel for me ;)

Made an appointment next week to meet with a realtor.  We are getting ready to list, and we want someone that will talk straight with us.  We are interviewing a few. 

Finally, considered repainting the whole house before listing.  Decided to try a touch up instead to see how it looks, plus fresh trim and porch paint.  I touched up the lower portion of the siding today, which is the most weathered...looks good so far.  We will try the trim and porch paint and see if that makes the difference.  If so, we saved a lot of time, money, and possibly hiring someone (our house is tall!). 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9171 on: July 03, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
*Made a double batch of maple fudge for a church event instead of buying something to bring

*Asked my husband to string up a clothesline at our new house for me

*New house doesn't have a/c so I'm too hot but ... cooling bill will be non-existent

*Daughter made 4 dozen cookies and 3 dozen muffins for the kids to have for the week. We froze 3/4 of it.

*Cooking extra of each meal to give to a friend's daughter who just had her first baby

*Son returned bottles to depot for $$$

*Accepted 2 hand-me-down decor items from my mom

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9172 on: July 03, 2017, 06:58:39 PM »
Sold a book on ebay.

Made a cardboard "envelope" out of an inside-out ice cream sandwich box, a reused plastic bag (for moisture protection), and masking tape.  No buying envelopes for me!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9173 on: July 04, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »
Finally, I walked to work again today, saving fuel and environment.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9174 on: July 04, 2017, 06:51:26 AM »
It's hammering down with rain and I forgot to bring my waterproofs to work.
I had to go out and post a load of parcels from eBay sales.
The nearest post office is about a third of a mile from work and there's nowhere to park any closer.
The nearest post office with free parking outside is almost three miles from work. I had no other reason to fire up the car.
I got very, very wet.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9175 on: July 05, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
Tonight I will be eating alone as DH is eating out with his work tonight. Normally on these occasions I become weak, go to the store and buy 2 pieces of cheese cake for myself to eat. Today I will not. I will eat the piece of fish that is sitting thawed in the fridge and I will find some frozen leftover portion in the freezer to go along with it. I will be stronger than usual!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9176 on: July 05, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »
Took home some over-the-door hooks that a coworker was giving away.

Resisted temptation to go out to dinner and made chicken at home instead.

Used existing low-cost subscriptions to call my parents at home in the States and watch a Japanese TV show online.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9177 on: July 05, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »
- Walked to the post office to mail a few things I sold online.
- Started removing the seams on a pair of DH's old jeans to use for a denim quilt.
- Grabbed some boxes and packing paper from a neighbor's recycling pile before the truck came by.
- Inventoried the pantry to make sure everything gets eaten before moving at the end of the month.
- Washed and dried plastic freezer bags and aluminum foil for reuse.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9178 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
*Made a dessert for church event

*Made extra of ^ for kids at home

*Started sweet and sour meatballs on low in crockpot for dinner. It's supposed to be a very warm day so I want all my cooking and kitchen work done early

*Made tea at home instead of from a shop

*Staying home

*Read the last few days of posts here to get ideas and am going to inventory our food as suggested! You guys rock!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9179 on: July 06, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
*Read the last few days of posts here to get ideas and am going to inventory our food as suggested! You guys rock!

Need to do this as well! I have a bad habit of forgetting what is in the freezer (and sometimes fridge too) so I considered putting a sheet on the freezer with a list of everything. Even if it says vague things like "soup" or "frozen berries", that's better than forgetting there's an entire meal in there!

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #9180 on: July 06, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »
Went to Aldi's and saved money. The checker did however make a mistake and charged us the cherries price for a piece of jicama. We have to go back to that area anyways, so no biggie.

ETA: Was able to buy a dozen eggs for $0.18!!! The best by date is 3 days from now, but that's not a big deal since we can boil them, I can make ebelskivers, and custard based ice cream.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:41:09 PM by Thinkum »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9181 on: July 06, 2017, 01:30:55 PM »
I love to stock my freezer. But finding stuff in there can be difficult, even when labelled with dates.

So as a spreadsheet geek, I created a spreadsheet with the item frozen, quantity, and date frozen. This way I can look at the spreadsheet and meal plan and eat the older stuff first.

I have all of my documents on Google drive so I can easily access from my computer or phone. My sister laughs at me about this, but I know she secretly wishes she was as good at spreadsheets as I am.  😁
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:46:00 PM by Daisy »

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #9182 on: July 06, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »
Husband is out of town, and when that happens, I get a big "its just me, i don't wanna cook" weakness.  I almost grabbed breakfast this morning for a couple bucks (even though I already had had coffee and a leftover slice of pizza at home), and I almost grabbed a burrito on my way home (1.08)....

Instead, I added 5.00 to a payment on our last consumer debt...the car loan.  And made a taco salad at home.

Also, changed into house clothes already so I have a mental excuse to stay home and not go out and spend any more money.  I have trim to be painting anyway....gotta get the house ready for selling!

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9183 on: July 06, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
Watched a YouTube video and changed the cabin air filter for our car.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9184 on: July 06, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »
So as a spreadsheet geek, I created a spreadsheet with the item frozen, quantity, and date frozen. This way I can look at the spreadsheet and meal plan and eat the older stuff first.

I have all of my documents on Google drive so I can easily access from my computer or phone. My sister laughs at me about this, but I know she secretly wishes she was as good at spreadsheets as I am.  😁

#jealous

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9185 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
We're having a long weekend away, staying with friends. We've eaten at home for all meals except one.

It's a very cruisy trip so I have lots of time to do some of the Mustachian things I would normally do this weekend, e.g. my preferred soap and shampoo are available at Aldi this week so I stocked up on those.

A friend has a milestone birthday next week and my husband - surprisingly - took the lead on the gift. He sketched something and framed it ($9), and will put that with some money-can't-buy swag he received through work ($0) that the birthday guy will love. That and a 90 cent card from the box, and it all comes in under $10.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9186 on: July 08, 2017, 06:26:17 AM »
Yesterday, on Friday evening, we arrived at our mountain cabin. I wanted to turn on the electricity which we always turn off when we leave. But now it didn't turn on. That is inconvenient as we need the fridge, oven and cooking system. I called the elevtricity company and they sent an electrician latecthe same night. He couldn't get the meter to turn on either. But he fixed us electricity by connecting us directly to the net, bypassing the meter. Meter will be replaced on Monday. So this weekend we have free electricity.

I also ordered two different membership cards. One gives me discount on shell petrol stations. The other one gives discount on two other petrol stations and a grocory store that you typically find in the country side. As we sill be going on vacation next week I will be buying often in that grocery shop and will be using more fuel than usual. I hope the memberhip cards will arrive in a few days.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9187 on: July 08, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
*Waited till I got home for lunch instead of buying it while out even though it was 2:00pm. (Poor planning! I knew I'd be out that long!)

*Huge mug of homemade tea with honey. Still using up my stash of tea.

*Picked up one of my favourite cookbooks for my Kobo for $2.99 - I've had it out of the library at least a dozen times. ("Celebrations" by Danielle Walker)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9188 on: July 09, 2017, 10:11:11 PM »
The day my husband got home from a work trip OS we packed up and went away with friends, so today I've been catching up on washing.

Three loads cold-washed and pegged outside to dry. I live in an apartment so my balcony is quite a sight with one small clothesline and three airers, but it does the job.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #9189 on: July 09, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
Ingredient of the week - My pantry is overstocked with packets and jars that need to be used up, so each week I pick something which becomes 'ingredient of the week'. It's only Monday and already I've made progress with TWO ingredients, dried broad beans originally picked from our garden, probably about 18 months old.  I soaked them overnight and they're now on the stove boiling (helping to heat my cold house).  I'm going to try a Moroccan Broad Bean and Garlic Soup - Bessara.  I hope it tastes better than it sounds. Has anyone tried it?

I'll also make some broad bean Falafel patties. This is my best culinary find of the year, replacing chickpeas with broad beans in Falafal enhances the flavour with the taste much closer to what you'd buy at a restaurant.

I also found some bulgar wheat, expiry date Feb 2016.  I've used it in a Tabouli style salad using spring onions and parsley out of the garden, juice of a gifted lemon, rind of a gifted orange and a clove of gifted pickled garlic with some herbs and spices.   It's tasty and will be even better for dinner tomorrow night when the flavours mingle and mature a bit.

Finally, I made the salad dressing using a recipe from this very thread.  YUM! Thank you Bracken_Joy.

Now I can read some more of this thread, guilt free after such a productive morning! And I didn't even tell you about the gardening I did. :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:39:10 PM by FrugalAussie »

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #9190 on: July 10, 2017, 07:51:39 AM »
I forgot my lunch at home so I had a free work apple for lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9191 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:31 AM »
Ingredient of the week - My pantry is overstocked with packets and jars that need to be used up, so each week I pick something which becomes 'ingredient of the week'. It's only Monday and already I've made progress with TWO ingredients, dried broad beans originally picked from our garden, probably about 18 months old.  I soaked them overnight and they're now on the stove boiling (helping to heat my cold house).  I'm going to try a Moroccan Broad Bean and Garlic Soup - Bessara.  I hope it tastes better than it sounds. Has anyone tried it?

I'll also make some broad bean Falafel patties. This is my best culinary find of the year, replacing chickpeas with broad beans in Falafal enhances the flavour with the taste much closer to what you'd buy at a restaurant.

I also found some bulgar wheat, expiry date Feb 2016.  I've used it in a Tabouli style salad using spring onions and parsley out of the garden, juice of a gifted lemon, rind of a gifted orange and a clove of gifted pickled garlic with some herbs and spices.   It's tasty and will be even better for dinner tomorrow night when the flavours mingle and mature a bit.

Finally, I made the salad dressing using a recipe from this very thread.  YUM! Thank you Bracken_Joy.

Now I can read some more of this thread, guilt free after such a productive morning! And I didn't even tell you about the gardening I did. :)

Yay! I'm so glad you liked the dressing. Did you make the nicoise or the greek? =) Ooooh now I know what I'm doing for lunch! =P

As for me-
Went for drinks with friends yesterday and used the last of a gift card we were given. We managed to stretch that thing out MONTHS and multiple trips =)

For our vacation, stayed at a friend's property. We haven't paid for lodging on trips in a long, long time. Maybe 2 hotel rooms, 1 night apiece, in the last 4 years?

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9192 on: July 10, 2017, 05:14:30 PM »
Forgot to pack lunch so I ate some stashed ramen at work and now am subsisting on cookies my coworker brought before I go home.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #9193 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:38 PM »
Bracken_Joy, I made the dressing with the Red Wine Vinegar. I found three bottles of it in the pantry, one of which I only bought last week,  so I will definitely be making it again, and again, and again!

Last night we did the grocery shopping.  We're on a three week deal - Week 1 spend $30, Week 2 spend $40 and Week 3 spend $50, then get $20 back.  Last night we went to spend $40 and came in EXACTLY at $40. People nearby at the self-checkout were probably wondering why DH and I were giving High 5's. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #9194 on: July 11, 2017, 04:10:51 AM »
Bracken_Joy -- could you please re-post your dressing recipe?  Dinner tonight is going to be garden salads (like whatever's ripe, out of the garden) and that would be just the ticket.  Thanks!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9195 on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:18 AM »
The usual, eating mode made lunch at work + a free banana that my office provides.
I am driving around in a car with an almost empty tank, because petrol is cheapest on Thursday morning. We'll have to wait until then to fill up.

slod1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Always Saving Money
« Reply #9196 on: July 11, 2017, 05:35:14 AM »
Made a big batch of pasta sauce that I will freeze. Cost about $2.40 to make and I will get 6 meals out of it for the whole family.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9197 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:32 AM »
I quit a membership that was only for supporting something. After 19 years I think someone else may support them. The membership had become quite expensive as well.

I also didn't pay membership in another organization that gives you discounted fees for staying in trekking huts in the mountains. Last year I didn't stay in such a hut at all. I have decided to wait for paying it until I actually decide to go on such a trip. Nowadays we stay more often in a tent.

I made a task in my todo list to change my phone subscription. I can get a 30% cheaper subscription if I manage to use only half a gigabyte per month, instead of a whole gigabyte. So far, from april I have only used much less than half a gigabyte. So I will chance to the cheap subscription after the summer vacation.

And I made my todo list full of other things I need to do in August when back from vacation. Like selling wedding dress and ordering a mountain warmth pump.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9198 on: July 11, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »
In-laws took us out for dinner last night for husband's birthday.

I only ate half my meal. Brought the rest to work for lunch today.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #9199 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:29 PM »
Update on Moroccan Bean and Garlic Soup, not nice.  I didn't like the flavour or the texture, hoping DH will eat it for work lunches. Tabbouleh Salad was also a fail. The wheat flavour of the bulgar is too strong for me, even DH didn't like it, this is very unusual, shall feed it to our one remaining chook (chicken). However, the Broad Bean (Fava Bean) Falafal and salad was delicious so we didn't go hungry.

Saving for today will be to go to a meeting (volunteer work) at a coffee shop and not buy a coffee.  I've also prepacked a lunch in case meeting goes over time and I get too hungry while out doing errands.

I also did 2 x 30 minute YouTube yoga classes.  Now I'm FIRE'D I'm trying to address various aches and pains from the last two years of sitting at a desk, getting fat and doing virtually no exercise.  I'm hoping this will save me on visits to the physiotherapist, I'll probably have to go but I wanted to do what I could first.

I'm still reading through this whole thread, I'm going backwards and still have 170 pages to go.  I'm getting some fantastic ideas and motivation.  THANK YOU!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!