Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020930 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6300 on: June 03, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »
Well I would have said depp.  I had no frame of reference when I moved to Ontario - what is a 7-11?  Listening to students use 3 languages in one sentence does things to the brain (I taught CEGEP for many years).

I love that you discuss a word that nobody outside Quebec recognizes by using another word that nobody outside Quebec recognizes. :-)

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #6301 on: June 03, 2016, 06:06:13 AM »
Washed out a couple of plastic bags to reuse.

Sliced up some cucumbers and put them in the pickle juice left in the jar after the pickles were gone - haven't done this one before, we'll see what happens. I love me some pickles.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6302 on: June 03, 2016, 08:11:10 AM »

Sliced up some cucumbers and put them in the pickle juice left in the jar after the pickles were gone - haven't done this one before, we'll see what happens. I love me some pickles.

Just bought some pickling cucumbers yesterday for this very thing. I've done it before, it works great.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6303 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:23 AM »
Opened my RVER account (sort of like a 401k here through my company). Set my contribution rate at 5% so I get the max 2,5% matching from my company. The management fees are a ridiculous 1,02%, so I'm just putting in the minimum to get my employer match, and putting my other savings in my existing vehicles. Still, I'm considering that I saved an extra 1,250$ for the year today.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6304 on: June 03, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
Due to my own idiocy, I had to come in to work today (3-4h round-trip commute) instead of working from home. Definitely didn't feel like packing a lunch, so I've been scouring the building for communal food so I'm not tempted to buy lunch. (Although they bring in an Indian restaurant on Fridays, which is often worth the reasonable price.)

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6305 on: June 03, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »
Repaired my 2TB external hard disk (bad USB/SATA controller board) and got reacquainted with DOS again...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:37:37 PM by chesebert »

Phoenixfires

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6306 on: June 03, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Stayed home most of the day with the Ac very high with a fan, took a list to the store and bought 2 things off the list 2 1$ coloring books for my kids. cleaned and orginized my pantry and freezer and meal planned for the next month.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #6307 on: June 03, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »

Just bought some pickling cucumbers yesterday for this very thing. I've done it before, it works great.

Thanks! How long does it usually take before they are pickle-ish?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6308 on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:13 PM »
Using free rhubarb (from Buy Nothing Project... anyone surprised?), and some rhubarb puree I had frozen previously to make a dessert to bring to dinner with friends tonight. I'm going to make a rhubarb crisp. I don't have pecans, so I'm going to replace them by either doubling the oats in the recipe or using slivered almonds (haven't decided yet). Otherwise I have everything for the recipe. I'm going to make my own brown sugar by mixing together white sugar and molasses that I already have.

Bonus savings: I'm baking it there. A- I am walking and don't want to transport a hot dutch oven. but B- saves on electricity and C- won't heat up our house and require using the A/C unit later.

Also taking over a garden salad with lettuce from our garden =)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6309 on: June 03, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
First prescription for kid's eyedrops came to $150 with insurance, $75 after insurance AND pharma coupon. Called doctor for a substitute and second prescription was $10.73.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6310 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
Repaired my 2TB external hard disk (bad USB/SATA controller board) and got reacquainted with DOS again...

Damn...looks like the drive is developing more bad sectors. Oh well time to retire the Seagate and get something more reliable.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #6311 on: June 04, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
I also researched if I can return 1 unused, 3 yr old  portable steamer for clothing and It seems that if they still carry it & I have the receipt I can get credit

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6312 on: June 04, 2016, 11:09:51 AM »
Washing machine stopped working this morning. Diagnosed the problem (broken lid switch) and used youtube to figure out how to fix it for free using a zip tie. YAY!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #6313 on: June 04, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Bonus savings: I'm baking it there. A- I am walking and don't want to transport a hot dutch oven. but B- saves on electricity and C- won't heat up our house and require using the A/C unit later.

D - It'll be better fresh from the oven, and people will get to eat better food. I wish more people would do this at potlucks (check with the host first, obviously).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6314 on: June 04, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Skipping grocery shopping this week.  Husband is out of town and there is tons of stuff to eat between the garden, freezer and pantry.  I always feel like I can eat more random meals when he's gone.

Per #1, going to cook some beets sous vide, but will put the whole thing outside to keep the heat out of the house.

Combined dropping DH at the airport with my trip to the barn to save a little mileage.

Cleaning out my horse equipment this weekend and will list several items I no longer need on eBay.

Mikila

• Stubble
« Reply #6315 on: June 04, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »
Stayed home and didn't spend a dime.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6316 on: June 04, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »
Skipping grocery shopping this week.  Husband is out of town and there is tons of stuff to eat between the garden, freezer and pantry.  I always feel like I can eat more random meals when he's gone.

Similar for me. I definitely make fewer real meals for myself. And I make things my husband doesn't much like. I also get into the food reserves more when he is gone.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6317 on: June 05, 2016, 06:08:22 AM »
Set up a booth on bonanza.com to sell the stuff that had aged off of eBay. bonanza's listing fees are free but I only list on ebay when it's free so time will tell if it pays off or not. From what I read bonanza gets much less traffic.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6318 on: June 05, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Nothing yet today,   Made shredded chicken in the Instant Pot with chile sauce recycled from a batch of chile colorado made last week that resulted in too much sauce/liquid for the amount of meat, but was way too tasty to throw away.

but yesterday I was at Fred Meyer to pick up some random items, and noticed that they had Ste. Chappelle Reisling for $4.99, and mail in rebates for $4/bottle up to six bottles.  Fred Meyer also gives 10% off when you buy six bottles.  So bought them for essentially 79 cents apiece, including tax, used a 2x fuel points coupon to get 60 fuel points, and paid with a 5% cash back credit card.  So 6 bottles of nice summer wine for $3.24 plus fuel points!

Also was thinking that I needed some new wound ointment for my horses, then realized I could combine the dregs of the old ones with some shea butter and antiseptic ingredients and put it in an empty fly repellent ointment jar rescued from the trash and cleaned out.

Grabbed a 10% off coupon from mycheapcoupons.com before heading to Lowe's to pick up a furnace filter and some other random items.  Unfortunately they didn't have the $10 off of $50 coupons available, but it still saved me about $5 net.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:18:55 AM by horsepoor »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6319 on: June 05, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
Soaking the labels off some beer bottles to reuse in the homebrewing operation. Little bit of ammonia and they come right off after a couple hours.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #6320 on: June 05, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »
Went home for lunch after church instead of going out for brunch. We don't usually go out for brunch, but once in a while we get tempted. DH: What do you want to do? Me: Whatever you want to do. DH: I want whatever you want. Me: No, I want whatever you want. We could go out or go home -- it's up to you. DH: Well, what's on the menu at home? Me: Tuna salad. DH: Ok, home then.

$20 saved. Yay!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6321 on: June 05, 2016, 01:43:18 PM »
Took a previously-butchered-but-looks-like-it-will-recover tomatillo plant for $0.99 instead of $2.99. Also, the only one the store had left. Assuming it survives (fingers crossed- there are new sets of good leaves coming out) it'll be a savings! Otherwise I just wasted a buck, haha.

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #6322 on: June 05, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »
Washed out three plastic bags to reuse.

Cooking a whole chicken (bought on special) to use this week (stir fry, sandwiches, soup, etc).

Hung up laundry to dry (don't have a drying rack, but I put the clothes on hangers and hang them on my shower curtain rod to dry).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6323 on: June 05, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »

but yesterday I was at Fred Meyer to pick up some random items, and noticed that they had Ste. Chappelle Reisling for $4.99, and mail in rebates for $4/bottle up to six bottles.  Fred Meyer also gives 10% off when you buy six bottles.  So bought them for essentially 79 cents apiece, including tax, used a 2x fuel points coupon to get 60 fuel points, and paid with a 5% cash back credit card.  So 6 bottles of nice summer wine for $3.24 plus fuel points!

Did you really get the fuel points for the alcohol?  because last week I bought a wine box at QFC (which is also a Kroger owned store, so they give you FM points) to take to Camp Mustache, partially justifying the purchase by telling myself it would top up my fuel points to over 300/month.  But then on my receipt it didn't give me any points, though I did get the member discount price.  Hmmm...  I might just have to swing over to FM today to check this out.  $.79/bottle for wine is a great deal even if I don't get the points, but better if I do!  And I love reisling....

Yep, pre-tax total was $95 and my receipt says I got 190 fuel points. 

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6324 on: June 05, 2016, 06:55:35 PM »
Yesterday, I made potato soup with chives and parsley from the garden, and also picked the first zucchini of the season!

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #6325 on: June 06, 2016, 12:00:03 AM »
Probably doesn't count, but Ramadan's started: no food and drink during daytime means no lunch buying. A bit awkward too, as I forgot about it and invited people to have office lunch on Wednesday! Will likely just sit there making others uncomfy.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #6326 on: June 06, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
It was 12 degrees celsius and raining buckets when we woke up. Partner is only working a half-day today, but instead of each taking our own car, we put my bike in the trunk, carpooled to work, and i'll ride back home (hopefully it will warm up in the meantime).

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6327 on: June 06, 2016, 10:56:29 AM »
Stayed home to work. Ate leftovers (seriously amazing minestrone and homemade bread) for lunch. Went for a swim in the lake after eating, along with a quick stroll through the garden. Now heading back to scramble through another 3 hours of work before going to have a gin and tonic on the porch.
Happiness: phenomenal. Expenses: ... An ounce of gin for the drink; my husband makes the tonic. Bliiiiisssss.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #6328 on: June 06, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
Probably doesn't count, but Ramadan's started: no food and drink during daytime means no lunch buying. A bit awkward too, as I forgot about it and invited people to have office lunch on Wednesday! Will likely just sit there making others uncomfy.

Are you allowed to drink water during the day? Just curious.

Nope.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6329 on: June 06, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
Haven't spent a penny since I picked up a few groceries on the way home from work Friday. Used my public transit pass, used a gift card, but no actual money going out. Procrastinated doing my laundry, which is $3.75 a load - although I'm not sure that is one to be proud of... ;-)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6330 on: June 06, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »
It was yesterday, almost bought the giant box of Raisin Bran. Already had food for breakfast, and I tend to eat too much cereal at a time when it is available. $7+ saved, bran overdose avoided.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6331 on: June 07, 2016, 08:38:57 AM »
- Packed a lunch for DH today (a major victory - he is this guy: http://www.theonion.com/article/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo-37912)

- Bought diapers at a huge discount at the grocery store with two goals in mind (#1 - have diapers, #2 reach the $150 spent mark on my bill to get store points equivalent to nearly $20 in free groceries next time I shop there).  I think we have enough diapers now to bring us through to potty training! Wohoo! To be clear, I didn't spend $150 on diapers, only $60.

- Sold $40 worth of misc baby gear on varagesale

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6332 on: June 07, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »
I photocopied my drivers license for .20e at a copy shop instead of paying 4 euros at the Metro to take my photo again for my Navigo pass.  wooh! 

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6333 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »

Are you allowed to drink water during the day? Just curious.

Nope.
I didn't realize that! Props

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #6334 on: June 07, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »
I didn't eat for the last 24 hours. Not really to save money though, but it's a nice bonus to slash the food budget for a day.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6335 on: June 08, 2016, 07:01:55 AM »
Cancelled my dental cleaning when the billing dept couldn't figure out my insurance card info.  Will try a different dentist.  I hate trying to find a good dentist and even more important to me, a good dental hygienist and office, in the latest area I live in.  Used my already scheduled sick leave to update some info on Upromise and ate leftovers for breakfast. 

want2learnmore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6336 on: June 08, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
I just lowered the data on my phone from 6GB to 2GB and removed the international plan I barely use, so that is $25 a month in savings right there! multiply that by 5 years and that is $1,500 in savings!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6337 on: June 08, 2016, 05:10:31 PM »
Bought decent-quality Popsicle molds because the dollar store ones broke after 2 uses and I'm tired of paying 5$/box at the grocery store.

Yay summer!

Maya Freegalson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Freegality
« Reply #6338 on: June 08, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »
I bought a pregnancy test at the dollar store rather than the drugstore. $4 cheaper per test and works just as well. Who knew?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6339 on: June 08, 2016, 05:16:13 PM »
I bought a pregnancy test at the dollar store rather than the drugstore. $4 cheaper per test and works just as well. Who knew?

Omg very relevant to me right now. Thanks for the tip! I hope you get the result you are hoping for! :)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #6340 on: June 09, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »

Omg very relevant to me right now. Thanks for the tip! I hope you get the result you are hoping for! :)

Dollar store cheapies are the best!

Bit of a spendy evening yesterday (saw Florence & The Machine in DH's company box.  Free tickets and drinks but $20 to tip the hostess and a $35 cab ride home because the show was long and we didn't want to keep my mom who was babysitting up past midnight if we took the bus).  Despite being tired and really not wanting to, I made my breakfast and lunch for the next day when I got home, and also organized supper so I wouldn't be tempted to order a pizza for the kids.  I am tired and hungover today, but not spending a penny!

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6341 on: June 09, 2016, 12:37:32 PM »
Used some coupons on top of a special offer for groceries. Normally they cannot be combined. Also brought a book back to the library that was overdue. Luckily before the fines started.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6342 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »

Dollar store cheapies are the best!

Bit of a spendy evening yesterday (saw Florence & The Machine in DH's company box.  Free tickets and drinks but $20 to tip the hostess and a $35 cab ride home because the show was long and we didn't want to keep my mom who was babysitting up past midnight if we took the bus).  Despite being tired and really not wanting to, I made my breakfast and lunch for the next day when I got home, and also organized supper so I wouldn't be tempted to order a pizza for the kids.  I am tired and hungover today, but not spending a penny!

Go you!!

I think some of my friends were at that show - I hear it was awesome, and I'm jealous.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6343 on: June 10, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
Wanted an Earl Grey Vanilla Creme Latte from Argo Tea because the office I'm working at is freezing cold and usually doesn't have tea (and the coffee is Godawful--and this is coming from someone who drinks store-brand instant coffee). Instead made sweet Earl Grey tea at home with milk that I frothed with my Magic Bullet.

jordanread

« Reply #6344 on: June 10, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »
(and the coffee is Godawful--and this is coming from someone who drinks store-brand instant coffee).

Those two facts make me think that it may not be coffee at all. Just ground poop or something. Instant coffee is pretty much the bottom of the barrel (IMHO), regardless of the brand. If it's worse than that, I think you are licking the barrel, and possibly one used to transport oil.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6345 on: June 10, 2016, 09:22:36 AM »
(and the coffee is Godawful--and this is coming from someone who drinks store-brand instant coffee).

Those two facts make me think that it may not be coffee at all. Just ground poop or something. Instant coffee is pretty much the bottom of the barrel (IMHO), regardless of the brand. If it's worse than that, I think you are licking the barrel, and possibly one used to transport oil.
Full disclosure: I do dump a packet of instant hot cocoa into said instant coffee. But I still wouldn't even do that with the "coffee" in this office.

ETA: People complain about the coffee in the main office. Then they come here and realize how good they have it. I think it's free here because nobody would ever pay for it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:25:12 AM by Inaya »

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6346 on: June 10, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
Made a batch of soap which will be ready for use in about 8 weeks or so. I love the soap I make, so much better than comparably priced soap at big box stores, almost no comparison really.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #6347 on: June 10, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
Made a batch of soap which will be ready for use in about 8 weeks or so. I love the soap I make, so much better than comparably priced soap at big box stores, almost no comparison really.

I make soap about once or twice a year.  This gives me more than enough for my own use as well as plenty for gifts.  Making soap is super simple chemistry but it is chemistry so you need follow the safety precautions.  The biggest benefit for me is knowing exactly what I am using on the largest organ (and permeable membrane) on my body.  Many commercial soaps contain nasty ingredients line formaldehyde that I want to avoid.  For me, the cost savings is a nice secondary benefit.

For most recipes you should not need to let the soap cure for 8 weeks.  4 weeks is plenty to let the soap dry out and firm up.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #6348 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:16 PM »

I make soap about once or twice a year.  This gives me more than enough for my own use as well as plenty for gifts.  Making soap is super simple chemistry but it is chemistry so you need follow the safety precautions.  The biggest benefit for me is knowing exactly what I am using on the largest organ (and permeable membrane) on my body.  Many commercial soaps contain nasty ingredients line formaldehyde that I want to avoid.  For me, the cost savings is a nice secondary benefit.

For most recipes you should not need to let the soap cure for 8 weeks.  4 weeks is plenty to let the soap dry out and firm up.

I have worked in a lab with dangerous chemicals, so I always follow proper PPE precautions. As for the cure time, it really varies on the type of oils used as well as how long the bar will last. Sure you can use the soap after 4 weeks, but it will not last as long as one that has cured for 8 weeks or more.

I make about the same amount of soap as you, twice a year at most. However I am going to make some for the sinks, rather than use the liquid antibacterial stuff that dries out skin. So I will probably be making more in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:18:11 PM by Thinkum »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6349 on: June 10, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

You have a link to the recipe for this? I hate my current soap.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!