Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020667 times)

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14050 on: September 29, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Our truck's tailgate button to unlock the car stopped working right. A couple of YouTube videos and we fixed it ourselves, likely saving an hour of labor probably valued in the northeast at between $50 and $100.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14051 on: September 29, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
-Cleaned our solar panels, post ash from the wildfires. We're not forecasted to get rain anytime soon, so this helps increase production while we have all the sun. (Make hay while the sun shines?)
-Used garden tomatoes to make pico de gallo
-Listed & sold a few things on Facebook & eBay

-As an update, we're seeing a 27% increase in solar panel production, despite slightly cooler weather & more haze (due to, unfortunately, new wildfires). The panels were incredibly ashy, so that had to have had a big impact on production. 
-Unintentionally, but forgot to customize my produce delivery box. This means that I'll end up with more parsley (already have my own, growing like a weed), but also means that I didn't get to add any snacky type options, which probably saved around $10.
-Continuing to use our garden tomatoes on everything
-Listed & sold a few things on eBay (shorts the kids outgrew & a book)

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14052 on: September 30, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »
I saved $8.25 by getting the 10-cent-per-gallon discount for paying my propane bill within 10 days.
Now, if I can finish my comprehensive caulking project before the weather gets really cold, maybe I can make the propane and firewood last all winter.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14053 on: October 03, 2020, 07:22:48 AM »
Ground beef was cheaper than normal at the store ($1.99/lb. for 93% lean) so I bought the 8 remaining packages instead of the 2 I normally would. Now they're in the freezer and we don't need to buy ground beef for a month or two. Unfortunately I noticed a few other prices had gone up. The natural Breyer's ice cream went from $2.75 to $2.99 - still cheaper than almost $4.00 at Walmart. However, they were out of stock so I saved $3 not buying ice cream.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14054 on: October 03, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »
I've gotten lazy about checking coupons/sales, probably because Covid has changed my usual shopping routine.  But I went through the coupons before shopping yesterday and saved $12.79.  They also, quite randomly, had bottles of Mane N' Tail conditioner in this back corner where they put random clearance items.  It was marked down from $7.xx to $3.89, so I picked up three bottles, as I use a lot of it for my horses and this should last me a year or two.

My horse is a spaz in new places, so I'm trying to take her more places so she can get used to it. I availed myself of riding at my old barn last night for free instead of paying a haul-in fee to another facility (my retired horse still lives there, so I'm kind of paying for an arena I never use).

Not my choice, but the dressage clinic with a big name trainer I was signed up for was cancelled, so I'll ride with my regular instructor this month and save $150.

Had an almost full bottle of sedative from when my horse was rehabbing from an injury.  Someone else needs it for their injured horse, so I'll get $20 for that instead of letting it sit in a drawer until it expires.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14055 on: October 03, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »
-Sold some things on eBay (small sales)
-Picked items from the garden for our salad
-Repurposed leftovers
-Line dried the majority of our clothes

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14056 on: October 03, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
Traded a big bulb of fennel and a pile of cauliflower, for a lime, an onion, and a cucumber.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14057 on: October 03, 2020, 08:54:13 PM »
Last night I ate 5 perfect cherry tomatoes from my balcony container plant I grew from seed. 

I was mostly a hermit today because the world outside is just too much. 

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14058 on: October 04, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
GARDEN - fall gardening in Florida has just commenced.
Googled propagation of (edibles) Roselle Hibiscus and Cranberry Hibiscus. Voila, you can propagate either one from cuttings.
Instant new plants - just saved me $20-$35 and I learned sumptin' new:).
I may do a couple of extra cuttings to sell, trade, give away.
Mr. R. brought home a bag of pears from a co-worker whose dad grows them - free fresh organic pears.
Googled a couple of dessert recipes for pears - delish.
Our neighbor gave us a huge ripe Papaya - unbelievably sweet and super tasty! I saved a few seeds - yay - free Papaya trees:).
Other neighbor gave me three papaya plants from her dad this spring - they are fruiting now - can't wait to taste them.
We are sharing our Avocadoes with the neighbors.
Planted the cuttings living on the kitchen window sill - Rue - Rosemary - Basil - free plants, savings $5.95 to 7.95 each.
Dividing a clump of cool and unusual orchids today - they are called Nun's Cap Orchids and have huge upright blooming stalks.
One day they just showed up in a flower pot sitting under the oak tree - birds or squirrels perhaps?
Gift from mother nature - priceless:) and already shared many times with my garden friends.
Thanking my over-enthusiastic self for ordering too many rare seeds almost two years ago that have since escalated drastically in price - two beautiful gingers and other cool tropicals that I'd forgotten about.
Covid has driven up the prices and gardening online is booming.   

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14059 on: October 04, 2020, 10:21:00 AM »
I know that a dishwasher isn't the most mustachian thing in the world, but a half price scratch and dent model makes it a little better.

FragglesRock666

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14060 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
Well, I finally made it through this whole thread, and decided to join in!
Of course, when I finally managed to get through everything, I happen to be in the middle of a spendy pants weekend, because I'm catching up on stuff I've been putting off a bit. Including a trip to the grocery later today to stock up on on-sale pasta and for DD to get stuff to bring for lunches now that she's back to school half time. 
But for things I did to *save* today, breakfast was bacon from our freezer, from our whole hog we bought this spring and bananas we already had. And used less than the recommended amount of laundry soap and cold water to do my wash. And DD is reading her library book before I turn into Mean Mom(tm) and make her do homework.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14061 on: October 04, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
The batteries in my car keys were getting weak, but instead of buying new ones I traded a lamp that I was getting rid of anyway to a relative for 2 new batteries and 3 jars of cayenne pepper, which I haven't been able to find in local grocery stores for a few weeks.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14062 on: October 04, 2020, 01:46:28 PM »
I've been eating some random odds and ends from the fridge and pantry this weekend.  Crescent rolls!  Protein powder that wasn't even open!  Laughing Cow Cheese I forgot I had that is so full of preservatives it lasts for years! 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #14063 on: October 05, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
Harvested and dried bay leaves from my plant.  It is too tender for our region so I bring it in each fall.  The lower light inside means that it drops a lot of leaves. I pruned it back hard and dried them.  If I bought this many ... 12$. Now I give them to my very grateful family.  They have so much more flavour too.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14064 on: October 05, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
Had a good biking week; not many of those since the pandemic started (no commuting, and no errands for a long time either).

60 miles of necessary personal transportation...no driving.  Saves about $30.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14065 on: October 05, 2020, 08:37:17 AM »
-Found freezer items to supplement dinner
-Roasted veggies from our produce box, to ensure they don't go to waste
-Continue to use up garden produce
-Took advantage of a gift card deal to bring forward some spending & earn $60 in groceries
-Sold a toaster oven we purchases to get through a kitchen remodel

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14066 on: October 05, 2020, 07:59:59 PM »
Helped SO declutter some and he gave me a decluttered space heater that I needed since mine conked out this spring.

Had a very small family gathering for a birthday yesterday. I brought home the leftover salad. SO ate his half with leftover gyro meat. I ate mine with a can of tuna on top for lunch. There were two full bags of lettuce left. For dinner, I made a Greek dressing and tossed it with some clearance pasta and homegrown veggies. I'll have the other half for lunch tomorrow. One more bag to work some magic on later!

I've stocked up the pantry with coupons and clearance deals so that I have plenty of good stuff to eat without doing a big grocery shop.

Currently thawing out a gifted chuck roast, leftover frozen carrots, and some free celery to make a slow cooked meal tomorrow.

Brought home some leftover soda from work that was cleared out of the break room.

Filled up the gas tank with the 5% Chase bonus at Circle K.

Haven't eaten lunch out in weeks

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14067 on: October 06, 2020, 06:45:02 AM »
Today we got out more books and videos for free from the local library. Our library estimates the money we've saved yearly by tallying the value of what we've borrowed to date. I find the $1,010.28 estimate hard to believe and think it includes renewals, but even a fraction of that amount is good money saved!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14068 on: October 08, 2020, 07:02:34 AM »
I won't drive my car today and I'm making pretty tasty food and beverages from the contents of my kitchen. 

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14069 on: October 08, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »
We went to Whole Foods to buy $47 of meat that was on sale. Pre-sale price: $97. Yay for freezers.

Sorry for the earlier typo
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 10:52:08 AM by cool7hand »

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #14070 on: October 08, 2020, 09:11:34 AM »
We went to Whole Foods to buy $47 pounds of meat that was on sale. Pre-sale price: $97 pounds. Yay for freezers.
What does 47 dollars pounds mean?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14071 on: October 08, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »
We went to Whole Foods to buy $47 pounds of meat that was on sale. Pre-sale price: $97 pounds. Yay for freezers.
What does 47 dollars pounds mean?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

It's Whole Foods.  A pound of meat costs $47 on sale, or $97 normally.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14072 on: October 08, 2020, 10:19:16 AM »
Got a coupon for local chipotle-like burrito place.  Walked the mile to go use it. Now have delicious tofu burrito bowl.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14073 on: October 08, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »
We went to Whole Foods to buy $47 of meat that was on sale. Pre-sale price: $97. Yay for freezers.

They have some good meat sales this week. I'm in a small apartment and already have a pretty full freezer, so I only got ~$35 of meat for ~$18.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14074 on: October 09, 2020, 10:34:37 PM »
Took my lunch to work again today. Haven't purchased lunch in three weeks! Today's was more leftover potluck items. Work also provides snacks and the occasional breakfast.

There's still a few portions of the excellent pot roast I tucked into the freezer for later meals. I'm updating the possible meals/snacks list I keep on the fridge. It has ideas for future meals based on what's on hand. Makes it easy to write a grocery list.

Cleared out the mending pile (again). Trying to keep up with the small tears so that they don't turn into big patches.

Worked on a craft project creating stationery from old postcards and scrap paper. Made envelopes from a philately catalogue and an old magazine. Turned junk mail into scrap paper.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14075 on: October 09, 2020, 11:18:00 PM »
I have sale pending on four horse blankets, which I should be able to get paid for tomorrow.  Only need to purchase one replacement, so I guess this counts as decluttering as well.

Barn mate and I are scheming on splitting the cost of a Pivo video robot. I'll probably use it once a week or so, so it only make sense to share it with someone else who will also probably only use it once a week.  Should be a helpful training aid over the winter so I'm not paying my instructor to just tell me stuff I could have figured out by watching videos of my riding.

Bought those staples of live, wine and cheese, at Grocery Outlet for about 30% off of grocery store price.

Making apple butter out of homegrown apples and some elderly cinnamon sticks; will can it tomorrow and it should supply us for a couple years.  Bonus: the house smells amazing.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14076 on: October 10, 2020, 03:18:20 AM »
Biked the 4.5 km to and from my doctor’s appointment today. Saved $12 in taxi costs. Made Macau-style Portuguese chicken rice instead of eating out. Declined several invitations to go out for meals or coffee. Instead of buying ground pork for homemade sausage rolls, I used our meat grinder and ground up chicken breasts that I purchased in a buy one get one free deal.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14077 on: October 10, 2020, 08:58:54 AM »
-Used a free movie credit offer last night from work. Rented a family friendly movie that we all enjoyed
-Used garden tomatoes & basil to make a caprese salad
-The weather is the perfect fall temperature, requiring no AC or heat
-Made a menu plan that largely uses what we have on hand

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14078 on: October 11, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »
GARDEN
 Turned an oops into a learning experience for current and future savings. I ordered some cuttings online and when they arrived I realized I'd need rooting powder and anyway this whole business of rooting a cutting from a tree of all things sounded terrifying.
Instead of buying rooting powder - I learned how to make my own, along with a new skill.
Six bucks saved, hope and confidence restored:).

The two Rio Grande Cherries I ordered turned out to have a total of three extra plantlings.
That means I can sell two when they are a bit bigger at 19.99 and still give one to my neighbor.
In essence that makes them free.
Book says cherries grown from seed instead of grafted will do better, grow faster which makes this an even better deal.

Freebie organic fertilizer from an ad online. Arrived yesterday - savings $3.

FREE BOOKS
4. Enjoying free books online via bookbub.

HOMECOOKING and GROCERY SHOPPING
Creative homecooking and savvy grocery shopping continues...
As always - using herbs, veggies and fruits from the garden... freezing some and drying some.
Using coupons, BOGO'S and whatever clever savings tricks comes to mind.

Sharing avocadoes with the neighbors and my son - spreading the joy:).

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14079 on: October 11, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
-Walked to go pick up free books a neighbor had put out. I'll try them, and/or donate & sell them.
-Through a combo of grocery rewards, a sale & an additional quick sale sticker, bought three pounds of lean ground beef for under $2, total.
-Uploaded receipts (mine, plus the two I picked up in the parking lot) to Fetch. Close to a $5 reward.
-Used up almost all of the garden tomatoes in a triple batch of pico de gallo. Still have a ton of jalapenos to use up.
-Went through the freezer & made a list of things that I need to use up.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14080 on: October 11, 2020, 03:43:19 PM »
Fixed our fishing net with duct tape. It works fine with bass. We'll see what happens if we luck into a big pike or muskie!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14081 on: October 11, 2020, 04:42:47 PM »
Got started on DIY replacing the steps to our back deck.  They almost collapsed under my feet while I was pulling off the hand rail, and I had to jump onto the deck.  So I guess we maximized the useful life of that building material!  The old steps were under the house dripline; we are moving them out so they won't stay wet, and should be less prone to rot in the future.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14082 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:19 PM »
Had “fancy brunch” aka omelets made with some spinach and bits and bobs of cheese that were nearing end of lifespan

Prepped lunches for the coming workweek

Acquired some cockscomb seeds from one of my sisters’ plants which will fit my plant to let most of my veggie space rest and to plant with a mind toward the pollinators next year

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14083 on: October 11, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
Had *two* social engagements this weekend--so to unused having things on my social calendar these days. Met up with friends at an outdoor food court where we each got something different and split the plates. I got to try three different cuisines for under $20. Second one we went to a small local place and I got their signature dish that happens to be $6. My entertainment budget has been at $0 for so long, it felt like a major splurge.

Did lots of Halloween crafts with toilet paper rolls, craft paints, etc we found ideas for on Pinterest. We spread newspapers out on the coffee table, raided the art supply closet, and went to town! We are now full up on tin can ghosts, cardboard black cats, and pipe cleaner spiders. Used every bit of Halloween decor from SO's collection to decorate inside and out. Had so much fun figuring out where every piece would look the best. Then we went for a walk around the neighborhood to check out their decor. We might have to make some fake tombstones out of cardboard next!

aliene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14084 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:43 AM »
Went to two supermarkets to get my weekly groceries. Normally I only go to the expensive one as I can buy everything at once there.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14085 on: October 13, 2020, 01:59:23 PM »
Used two "spend $10, get $10" Prime Day deals on Amazon to get $20 of free stuff. All stuff I was going to buy this month anyway (e.g. vitamins, something for my mom's birthday, groceries), I just timed my purchases more carefully to get and use the credits.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14086 on: October 13, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
Took my lunch to work today, again. I've been at my new job for almost a month and I haven't paid for breakfast or lunch once. I was concerned that my food budget would go up since I got a meal provided at my last job, but it's gone down! Work provides some breakfasts and a ton of snacks and beverages. With fewer working hours, I still have energy to cook when I get home.

Cooked a big batch of chili and cornbread yesterday. Today was quinoa salad and jam bars.
Had to make a few substitutions to the salad, but it came out tasty. The entrees are all portioned out in the fridge and freezer, with tomorrow's lunch packed in a bag in the fridge.

This is a 3 payday month for me, so my goal is to keep all spending to the money currently in my wallet and save an entire paycheck. I'm only eating what's currently in my food stores and not buying any groceries until at least this weekend, after payday #2.

Got a large part of my holiday gift buying out of the way last week for low prices.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14087 on: October 14, 2020, 06:03:39 AM »
GROCERIES
1. Two coupons for free pizza - just paid for extra toppings and tips/delivery - still saved $24 ($12 each pizza).
2. Huge grocery run to Aldi - part serious savings and part sheer indulgence - amazingly saved near $100.
Groceries and cat food elsewhere - used $16 worth of coupons, scored on BOGO and used coupons for free cat food.

GARDEN
3. Garden goodies - peppers, lemon verbena, lemon balm, avocadoes and very soon - PAPAYAS - yay:).
4. Today I'll look up what to do with lemongrass - our two bushes have exploded.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
5. Mr. R. bought a big lithium battery through work - to replace the one on our favorite emergency radio, flashlight, charger. Saved $30 or more.
6. He also fixed and charged the other emergency radio. Saved a $80 radio from the trash.
7. Today I'm recharging the solar power on one of our emergency flashlight/cell phone chargers - Florida sunlight - free:).

Looking into some cell phone changes and possibly a new plan.

COOKING - we're foodies - so we don't skimp - our goal is to get the best ingredients at the best price.
As a passionate cook - I like variety and enjoy creating or trying out new recipes.

1. Finally trying a recipe that's been on my fridge for a solid year:) =
harvested a couple of Persian limes from our tree for Key Lime Pie.
I love Key Lime Pie!
2. Limes are great for any Shrimp dish too - huge Tiger Shrimp from Aldi (seasonal - ten bucks a bag, frozen)
with coconut and lime and pineapple.
3. Today will be Bourbon marinated Salmon filets (half-price on special) with fresh steamed corn-on-the-cob (on sale at Aldi)...

NYT cooking - I'm resisting to pay for their Food subscription... so far anyway:)
But I do get access to some of their food articles/recipes for free which I use for new ideas and seasonal cooking inspiration.

This weekend during football - we'll munch on NYT fall recipe - Savory Corn Fritters.
Instead of the suggested yoghurt/honey as a dip - I'll try it with Mango salsa and Sour Cream/Salt/Lime.
Our Persian limes have just a hint of sweetness to them - we'll see how it turns out.

Anyway - Halloween is approaching
so I picked up BLACK Pasta made with black beans and
ORANGE Pasta made from Lentils. Both at Aldi as a seasonal special.
Ya gotta eat, right? might as well make it fun - now, tell me what would be cool to serve with that?

PS - time to look at my FALL-HALLOWEEN board on Pinterest w/recipes and decor - talk about a time sucker but so much free fun!
I'm thinking fun drinks and weirdo desserts, definitely something with Butternut Squash too, that stuff is addictive.

Rosy, we are foodies here too. Not quite chef's but we try lots of new things. How was that black and orange pasta? Did you find it mushy? I got this coupon book in the mail and inside it was a menu for a restaurant about 20 miles from my home. One of the entree's was a filet mignon and was $30. I am sure that is a 'normal' price for filet mignon dinner but I was like NO WAY! I have fillet mignons in my freezer, rib eyes and can cook up a magnificent meal for much, much less and in the comfort of my home! Yes, there is the prep and the dishes...but I find I get a restaurant quality meal for so much cheaper. Don't have to tip and no tax. Drinks are cheaper at my 'restaurant' too! Back when I was young and less sophisticated, I loved eating out. Now, I know the value of a dollar and can bargain shop and have great meals at home. I have to say, many times when I have eaten at restaurants, I am very disappointed with what I get. I scan the menu and sometimes I am like, there isn't anything on the menu that I haven't already had this month! I like to choose menu items I am not good at making at home or not familiar with how to prepare.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #14088 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »
@Roadrunner53 and @Rosy - I am the same - I have become a much better cook.  Adding in growing and preserving my own food, makes for some really fantastic meals at a fraction of the cost.  And given that both DD and I are celiac, we don't get glutenned and feel like crap for a couple days after.  My DH does all the dishes so I only have to do the cooking - which I really enjoy.  It is such a blast to make something scrumptiously delicious, particularly if you grew it from seed.

The big money save this past week was DD found out my old plants fit her.  I was a total clothes horse pre-babies and had a bin of some gorgeous clothes that I kept for her.  (I wore all the beautiful clothes my mother kept during my high school and university years until they disintegrated.  Some I still have but they are too fragile)  She found two pairs of jeans and some dress pants that she totally loves right here in her brother's closet after an afternoon of disappointment at the mall.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14089 on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
Went camping last weekend - spent a few days at campground on the coast of Maine, which was beautiful - unfortunately they were charging $7 + tax for a small bundle of firewood.  We ended up finding enough dead / fallen trees to simultaneously clean up the woods and provide firewood for the weekend.

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14090 on: October 14, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Made an appointment and sat on a line for 15 minutes to get our car inspected for free by the state instead of paying $75 plus for a private vendor to inspect.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #14091 on: October 14, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
@Frugal Lizard - what a win on the clothes getting a second life!

Unclear if we'll travel for the holidays or not given COVID, but if so, made a one day adjustment to our flights, and saved $200

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14092 on: October 14, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »
Friendly neighbor and I both had pups with minor illnesses. We arranged to each take only one afternoon off work because I took our pets to the first vet visit today and she will take them to The follow up appointments next week.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14093 on: October 14, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Currently wearing a hand-me-down (up?) shirt from my SO's oldest son. The next oldest has just started wearing the same size I do, so even more headed my way!

My packing-my-work-lunch streak is unbroken. I've working my way through the freezer and pantry items to make tasty meals that I look forward to eating, so that helps.

Used an Amazon gift card to pay for most of a tool I ordered at a discount on Prime Day.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14094 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
PRIME DAY was a win for us.
1. I finally found a decent outdoor shower I liked, at a price I was willing to pay - savings $68~
2. Took advantage of their GC deal - buy $40 GC - get $10 credit.
3. Shipping credit - $2
4. Scored some good deals on solar garden lights and solar fountain thingamajig - savings $80~.
5. ... and miraculously found the brass garden hose connectors and water spray attachments at a prime day deal - savings $8~.

*** Plus - a $20 coupon on the outdoor shower and voila - nice savings overall.
*** Plus - I used my amazon card which gives me 5% back on everything on amazon!

HOME COOKING
Made a big pot of soup almost stew:) - three generous meals for two for about 8 bucks, part leftovers, part my own kitchen sink soup strategy from pantry ingredients, with bay leaf and parsley from the garden.
Tonight I am making cornbread to go with the last of it.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14095 on: October 16, 2020, 04:37:04 AM »
My kids' dentist advised that we get them electric toothbrushes.  Both have orthodonture and not so great tooth brushing habits.
 Found a good deal at a local shop (I try to avoid Amazon and support small businesses) with a 40% rebate from the manufacturer.  Sent off the rebate application this morning.

Cancelled a subscription that I don't use.

Brought lunch to work, as usual. 

Went through the kids' clothes over the weekend and sorted through handmedowns.  Younger kid now has a complete wardrobe for the next few years and older daughter has quite a lot of stuff that we discovered that fits her. 

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14096 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »
We got a new (to us) sofa today! The old one was terrible but before the pandemic we hardly ever sat there anyway so we didn't really notice. That one was a freebie years ago.

This time we wanted a decent one because we're expecting a long winter of Netflix and knitting. Our friends have a nice looking, very comfortable sofa that's still comfortable after 5 years of use. So we asked the brand and model and searched for that on the most popular secondhand website in the country. Found one with very minor damage (one scratch in a spot that's facing the wall). Paid €265 including delivery for a good quality leather sofa that is almost as new and will probably last us years. Would be €850 + delivery new. Used leather wax that I already had on it. Looks shiny and brand new now.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #14097 on: October 16, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Congrats @Imma!  A good sofa is a really good score. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14098 on: October 16, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »
Forgot my lunch at home, so ate crackers from the break room. My co-worker tried to convince me to order out. I replied that it was a short work day and a snack would tide me over. I had a big dinner plan!

I made the last package of pheasant breasts into a pseudo chicken masala with a jarred sauce, frozen bell peppers, onions, and celery. It was delicious, made several meals, and was nearly free.

SO has asked for a mending tutorial to salvage some of his shirts. He already knows how to sew, but he'd like to learn how to best make patches that don't show. Spreading the Mustachian agenda!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14099 on: October 17, 2020, 02:02:03 AM »
Did some food prep for this week — made sausage rolls for work lunches and will be making hummus tomorrow.