Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020910 times)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2000 on: December 31, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
Had my phone repaired instead of purchasing new...$50 vs $300 !

Had stepson bring home all the phones that we had sent for them to use over the last 4 years which were now deemed "broken", and it turns out that several of them just have old swollen batteries.  Approx $10 each for replacement batteries, and now there are 4 perfectly servicable phones available for my family to use when our current models crap out on us.  Poor kids are just going to have to suffer with un-cool flip phones until they get off their butts and buy their own stuff.

Hubby was ready to throw out turkey leftovers (he hates dark meat) but I salvaged it for use in soups!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2001 on: December 31, 2014, 08:44:06 AM »
Just bought YNAB on sale from Steam for $14.99. (Full price is $60.00)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2002 on: December 31, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Kids are having a blast with homemade "blurp" -- a version of the Slime I used to play with in the late 70's.

Its just Elmer's clear glue, water, borax, food colouring and glitter.  (Google blurp for recipe)

They are eating up the raisin bread I made yesterday with extra dough from the hamburger buns I made for dinner.

Drinking tea at home, even though I"ve been craving a Starbucks Chai Tea all holidays. Didn't receive a gift card this Christmas so I'm not going!!

Husband and son walked to Walmart and back and got groceries for me!

Edited for multiple typos! Ugh!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:26:46 PM by 1967mama »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2003 on: January 01, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
Checked on my two credit cards that have rotating rewards categories.  Today starts 5% back on gas for Discover, and 5% for groceries for Chase Freedom, so I'm making sure they're in my wallet with little sticky notes reminding me which cards to use.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2004 on: January 01, 2015, 10:36:51 AM »

Drinking tea at home, even though I"ve been craving a Starbucks Chai Tea all holidays. Didn't receive a gift card this Christmas so I'm not going!!

I hacked the chai for a better life at a fraction of the price.   I started with this recipe and have tweaked it over the years to suit me.  My current incarnation makes 3 gallons.  I freeze some in ice cube trays.  Bonus is the house smells great.  Here's where I started:
http://www.yogayoga.com/about-us/yogi-tea

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2005 on: January 01, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »
Had chick peas on my salad at lunch that I bought dried and cooked overnight in the slow cooker.

Dinner will be roast chicken (on sale), acorn squash (one of the three last squashes from my CSA this summer) with cinnamon apples (orchard picked at a discount), and buttery rice (leftovers).

Monitored my hard cider (tried and true) and  homemade wine (first attempt) bubbling away on the top of the fridge. They'll end up each being about $5/gallon.

Working in the sunny living room, rather than turning up the heat in my cold office.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2006 on: January 01, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
Having received a kindle for christmas, I promptly went to Amazon and looked up all the books that I had deemed too pricey this year (we pay postage from Amazon - upwards of $35 a pop).  Then, instead of buying them, I put them in my wishlist, and downloaded a bunch of free ones instead.

I'll have another look at my wishlist once DH and I have sorted out our fun money budget for the year, or maybe send relatives there when they are enquiring about birthday gifts.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2007 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
Asked store to exchange cracked bodum for new one. They cheerfully agreed. Saved $22 over buying replacement.

Nicely done!

I just meekly bought a replacement beaker (the glass part) and counted myself fortunate for not having to replace the thing entirely.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:01:33 PM by Chaplin »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2008 on: January 01, 2015, 09:02:14 PM »
I posted this on another thread, but I was so proud of myself I had to post it here too.

I was doing some cleaning up in my kitchen and was about to throw away one of those stainless steel drinking containers that I had put in the freezer and had warped on the bottom as a result - oops I guess stainless steel doesn't like freezers. It wouldn't stand up on its own since the bottom was all warped.

Instead of throwing it away I grabbed a mallet and pounded the warped part back into place. One big BAM and a big win!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2009 on: January 01, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
It was yesterday, but I put my $30/mo gym membership on hold since I haven't been making time to go. $1/day saved with minimal effort.

I found today that my gloriously comfortable L.L. Bean slippers that my sister bought for me as a gift years ago are starting to fall apart - then I remembered L.L. Bean's warranty. So, I'll see if I can get them repaired for free. :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2010 on: January 01, 2015, 09:41:57 PM »
When we moved a few months ago, we got the postal service to redirect our mail for a while.  The redirection service is just about to end, and we are still getting the occasional piece of mail that has needed the redirection.

Extending the redirection another 2 months (the minimum available) would cost $25.

Instead, I wrote a card to the new owner of our old house thanking her for passing on. through a mutual acquaintance, a flower delivery that had been sent to our old house instead of our new one; explained that our mail redirection was about to expire; asked if she would be so kind as to forward anything to our new address (which I gave her again); and wished her a happy new year.  Cost: 50c postage and an old note card from a stash I inherited from my grandmother.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2011 on: January 01, 2015, 09:48:47 PM »
I signed up for a library card, and put a hold on 2 cookbooks I want to look at but probably wouldn't use much.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2012 on: January 02, 2015, 03:51:37 AM »
Cooking!

Made soup for lunch from stock in freezer from Thanksgiving turkey. Quite possibly my best soup yet!
Made huge crockpot full of chili.
Made another huge crockpot of spaghetti sauce.
Dumped small containers of frozen leftover chili and spaghetti sauce into the appropriate crockpot.
Made a blueberry-strawberry crisp and a blueberry-plum crisp (gluten free) from frozen fruit in freezer that was bought at the farm or picked in my yard.

Also today:

Husband cleaned the outsides of the windows on our main floor. Now the sun can shine in!
Hung a load of laundry to dry on drying racks.
Turned off the furnace during the daytime.

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #2013 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:27 AM »
Last night I made peppermint tea and forgot about it until I went to bed- but when i saw the cup sitting there, I poured it into my thermos instead. This morning I made coffee and put a shot of peppermint tea in instead of my peppermint syrup. Didn't waste tea, saved some more-expensive syrup! It's still minty and delicious and doesn't have sugar in it.

TTGS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2014 on: January 02, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
I rigged up a rod for hanging laundry in my basement.  Previously I only had a small space for hanging which would hold about 4-5 hangers.  Now I have an additional 6 feet of hanging space which is already being put to use :)

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2015 on: January 02, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
I kept a list of everything I did to save money during the month of December...

Ate all meals at home except 2 (friends took me out for my birthday)
Made everything from scratch (bread, beans, soup) nothing out of a can
Didn't eat any processed sugar
Cleaned out refrigerator before going to the market
Line dried all my laundry
Kept thermostat at 62 or below during the day and 55 at night
Cut my own bangs
Gave myself a facial
Gave myself a weekly manicure
Decorated the house for free with natural elements from the garden
Made all my Christmas presents (crocheted scarves for everyone)
Put an extra $1k into savings

Phew.

Roadhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2016 on: January 02, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
I walked to the grocery store to buy vegetables and rice noodles to make soup with the beef stock we recently made from our leftover Christmas roast.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2017 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:22 PM »
Made all our meals at the hotel in our room rather than eating out.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #2018 on: January 02, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
Called my credit card company and got a late fee waived, saved 25 bucks.   I was only a day late and they gave me a one time courtesy.  The bill totally got buried with everything going on around Christmas. I forget to ask them to move the payment date. It earlier than my other bills and I would like them at the same time, it is easier. 

Went grocery shopping and only bought essentials.  No extras. Not sure what this amounts to but it felt good since I am trying to eat through my house.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2019 on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Made "chicken pizza muffins" to freeze so the kids can grab them for lunches over the next week or so.

It's all about the marketing :)  They would be unenthused by 'leftover chicken stew muffins', but with the addition of a tin of tomatoes, some oregano and some cheese, they become 'pizza' flavoured.

I've been wanting to plan better for their lunches - we tend to just grab something when we're hungry, but if there's nothing easy and nutritious for them to grab, they tend to go for breakfast cereal - which can get pricey with all the milk being consumed.

I also mixed up a couple of loaves of my no-knead yeast bread so it can rise overnight for baking tomorrow morning, AND my 10 year old is going to a sleepover tonight, so instead of taking a packet of cookies with her for snacking food, she made banana muffins (from over-ripe bananas that were needing to be used.)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2020 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:24 AM »
Cut my bangs and straight across the back of my curly, shoulder length hair.

Drove 20 minutes to shop at Winco - thinking of dropping our costco membership. Has anyone else done this? It's hard to break up with costco!

2 crockpots full of beans cooked all afternoon in the crockpot.
Bagged in ziplock for the freezer.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2021 on: January 03, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
Cancelled a very expensive vacation for August.  Called the daycare and got them to remove an erroneous $30 late fee.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #2022 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
- Making 20 homemade freezer burritos
- Hopefully, this will combat the impulse to whip into McDonalds for two 89 cent hamburgers and dollar iced tea 
- Working on homemade refried beans as part of my "Adventures with Dried Beans" New Years resolution
- Saving about two dollars a snack while also lowering calories, increasing veggies/fiber, and reducing chemicals

cheapbutchic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2023 on: January 03, 2015, 08:43:50 AM »
Cut my bangs and straight across the back of my curly, shoulder length hair.

Drove 20 minutes to shop at Winco - thinking of dropping our costco membership. Has anyone else done this? It's hard to break up with costco!

I've been thinking of getting a Costco membership.  There are only 2 of us tho so not sure it would be worth it.  May I ask why are you thinking of dropping yours?

2 crockpots full of beans cooked all afternoon in the crockpot.
Bagged in ziplock for the freezer.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2024 on: January 03, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
- Working on homemade refried beans as part of my "Adventures with Dried Beans" New Years resolution

I have tried a ton of recipes for refried beans, and these are my very favorite. I use better than bullion instead of the stock cubes. It is AWESOME!

http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2013/01/08/crockpot-refried-beans/

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2025 on: January 03, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
Part of my extended family are Orthodox Christians so we'll be having a little Christmas celebration on Jan 7 (Orthodox Christmas).  I picked up some 1/2 price Christmas chocolates for the kids this morning. 

KidneyMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2026 on: January 03, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »
- Hopefully, this will combat the impulse to whip into McDonalds for two 89 cent hamburgers and dollar iced tea 
- Saving about two dollars a snack while also lowering calories, increasing veggies/fiber, and reducing chemicals

Do you have a recipe for the burritos? Calorie count, perhaps?

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2027 on: January 03, 2015, 02:07:05 PM »
We broke up with Costco and never regretted it because Winco is cheaper & you don't have to buy in such huge quantities.

drstarter33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2028 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
I resisted my temptation to order a takeaway. Then I cooked my own simple, but delicious meal of barley and lentils!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2029 on: January 03, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
Winco goofed on my bill last night -- kicking myself for not checking my receipt before I left. They charged me $25 for organic rolled oats rather than $13 for non-organic. He did the sku by memory rather than scanning the barcode on the bag.  Called the store this morning and they gladly will refund my money next time I'm down. Just had to take a photo of the bag with the receipt. Wrote down the name of the gal at customer service who helped me so that I can reference our call.

Eating oatmeal out of the fridge for several days now. Its nice mixed with yogurt.

Kids playing outside all day and had a fire in the back of our property. Made grilled cheese sandwiches in the pie iron with their little friends.  Practically free entertainment! Neighbour gave them some nice dry wood.

Daughter ordered glasses online from discount seller.

Brown beans cooking up for dinner in the crockpot. Cooked the beans from dry (navy beans) yesterday in the crockpot. Having a green salad with homemade dressing and the beans.

Hung a load of laundry to dry on my drying racks.

Picked up a huge load of books and DVD's at the library that the kids and I had ordered in last week. We try to go once a week to do returns and pickups.

Turning off the furnace in the daytime.

Edited for clarity

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:27:25 PM by 1967mama »

savvyjourno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2030 on: January 03, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
Said no to the cute top at the thrift store. Purchased a week's worth of groceries (mostly fresh fruit and veggies) for just over $40.
:)

Penny Lane

• Stubble
« Reply #2031 on: January 03, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
Made veggie burgers with a leftover sweet potato, some pinto beans, cumin, chipotle powder, egg, bread crumbs and ate with some green beans from the garden ( frozen).  Yum!

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2032 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:23 PM »
Brought lunch to work, had the free break room tea, and had leftover pasta for dinner. (with some free ingredients my grandma gave me).

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #2033 on: January 03, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
Today: was going to hit the store today but did not....

Didn't buy clear nail polish because I have a lot of bottles of colored nail polish to use up.
Didn't buy the convenient cleaning wipes in a tub because I have bottles of cleaner and paper towels to go with.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #2034 on: January 03, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »
I biked home in the rain today, rather than succuming and getting a ride/taking public transportation. How can I ever become more badass if I don't flex my frugal muscles?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2035 on: January 03, 2015, 11:44:25 PM »
I just wanted to say how awesome this thread is.

:)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2036 on: January 04, 2015, 04:26:17 PM »
I have a vehicle that needs a new gas cap - I checked distance to the dealer and figured it'd cost about the same in gas to drive there and back as it would to pay for shipping, so I'm having it shipped to my house instead.

Irishtache

• Stubble
« Reply #2037 on: January 04, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
For the last 2 weeks, we had noticed a strange, chemical smell in the kitchen, near the electric kettle. Eventually, found the plug was overheating and the smell was from melting plastic at the plug. The wife immediately identified a stylish kettle online at a cost of €40. Fortunately, it is out of stock, so I ventured out and bought a new plug and fitted it. Cost..€1.45, saving of €38.45! Satisfaction...Priceless! Wife has forgotten about new kettle!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2038 on: January 04, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
Found a nice pair of army long underwear at the Goodwill.  Bought them for the Hub. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2039 on: January 04, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »
Husband returned to Winco to get back the $13 we were overcharged for our regular old fashioned oats (they charged us for organic)

Hung a load of laundry to dry and the one sheet in the load is drying on a leather couch. Its fleece material so not very wet.

Washing next load of laundry on cold cycle.

Used up 5 lonely potatoes in a carrot and potato mash up. (Golden Potato Bake in "The More With Less Cookbook" for anyone who is interested).

Cooked 2 chickens from the freezer in the roaster all day for meat for meals this week -- soup at the end with the bones.

Chatted with frugal friend on the phone for 30 minutes -- sharing ideas both ways. So encouraging to have a real life Mustachian friend (although she isn't on this site).

Helped son pay for car repairs as his 21st birthday present instead of buying him any gifts.

Reusing candles from a Christmas centrepiece I won. Tossed the branches and ribbons (they were in rough shape with glue, etc) and kept the 3 white, fake pillar candles from the middle. They are battery operated and are glowing warmly on my fireplace mantle in a lovely trio.

Kids are working on $2 dollar store sequin crafts from Christmas. Love it when you actually find a high quality craft there! Takes several hours to complete and the look is quite impressive. 12, 9 and 7 year olds are enjoying them for hours each day.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #2040 on: January 04, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
I cleaned/organized my bathroom closet.  Found and corralled a ton of dental floss, soap, shampoo, hair ties, bobby pins.  Being able to SEE what we have will keep me from buying more unless we are totally out.  Also, helped DD clean her room.  Found her clothes, so she'll have "something to wear."   

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2041 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
Cooked all the meals for this week so there's 0% chance of take-out. 7 dinners + extra for lunches.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #2042 on: January 04, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
Well, technically this started yesterday....but we are just starting a really cold weather streak here in Wisconsin and I've been noticing my windows are drafty in the Living Room.  I had switched from lined curtains to accordian shades.  But the shades are inside mount so the edges of the windows are still drafty.   I went and dug out the curtains and hung them up (leaving the blinds).   It seems warmer in here already!   

I'm thinking about buying just one floor length curtain panel to cover the front door.  We don't use that door, we use the kitchen entry, and it seems drafty there too.  Thinking I could hang a small curtain rod above the door.

I also (thanks the advice of Mustacians on this forum) shut one of the two heat duct vents in the basement.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2043 on: January 04, 2015, 08:46:46 PM »
Found some carpet edging I needed on clearance at Lowe's marked down from $9.88 to 62 cents, so $18.56 saved on two.

Currently baking squash and sweet potatoes grown in the back yard and stored in my "root cellar" for lunches this week.

Not really a save, but got the exact winter riding boots I have been wanting on clearance for 30% off (one of those items that pretty much never goes on sale).  Maybe in the long run they'll save me in wear and tear on my regular boots when the weather is nasty, and in disposable toe warmers too.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2044 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
My girlfriend's fancy shampoo was marked down from 10.99/bottle to 5.24/bottle on clearance, so we bought all they had.  Eight bottles.  Should last a long time.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2045 on: January 05, 2015, 01:57:31 PM »
Cooked all the meals for this week so there's 0% chance of take-out. 7 dinners + extra for lunches.
Nice!

I made my breakfast smoothies for the week (6 total).  I brought my lunch (leftovers from the bottom of our freezer). 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2046 on: January 05, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Nice!

I made my breakfast smoothies for the week (6 total).  I brought my lunch (leftovers from the bottom of our freezer).

It took about 3 hours to cook and 1 more to clean. Less time than cooking 7 dinners on their own. Meals were more rounded too. 2x salmon salad and miso soup. A large vegetable (not vegetarian) shepherd's pie. Whiting and rice. Roasted garlic, broccoli, and cauliflower. Chicken noodle soup in the crock pot (will be done tonight). Total cost somewhere in the $40-$50 ball park.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2047 on: January 05, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
Batch cooked yesterday:  Mock tater salad and boiled eggs for work snacks, DH made beer can chicken which will provide 3 meals for each of us, cooked a large spaghetti squash for 4 servings, made an almond flour based fruit cookie for desserts, rinsed and divided out fresh blackberries ($1.25 a container) and divided out Romaine leafs and deli turkey (bought on manager's special) with homemade mayo for 3 lunches.

Asked DH to cut my lotion bottle in half so I can get to the remaining product at the bottom.  This stretches it out for another week.

Will put a blanket over one of the living room windows, and French doors to avoid increasing the heat during these below freezing temperatures.

Cut out a ton of coupons, and will load up my value card before doing my monthly grocery shopping next week.

Reduced adult beverage consumption back down to Friday and Saturday nights.

Budgeted $300/mo for food/HBAs/cleaning supplies last year and spent $320.  Am going to try harder this year.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 02:30:55 PM by MountainGal »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2048 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:06 PM »
Nice!

It took about 3 hours to cook and 1 more to clean. Less time than cooking 7 dinners on their own. Meals were more rounded too. 2x salmon salad and miso soup. A large vegetable (not vegetarian) shepherd's pie. Whiting and rice. Roasted garlic, broccoli, and cauliflower. Chicken noodle soup in the crock pot (will be done tonight). Total cost somewhere in the $40-$50 ball park.
Sounds awesome!  I'm a huge fan of batch cooking...but I'm working on eating down our freezer stockpile right now.

What recipe did you use for the chicken noodle soup?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2049 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:20 PM »
Nice!

Sounds awesome!  I'm a huge fan of batch cooking...but I'm working on eating down our freezer stockpile right now.

What recipe did you use for the chicken noodle soup?

What is this 'recipe' you speak of? Haha. I just stuck some defatted chicken and veggies with water into a crock pot. I'll need to add some salt and noodles and seasonings tonight. Need to debone and cut the chicken too. To be honest I use recipes as guidelines for how that kind of food is made and then do what I like with it. If I know how to make something in general, I don't use a recipe. I just go with it. So I'm sorry if I don't have a recipe for it!

One recipe I will say is for the whiting. Mayo, mustard, lemon juice, and a dash of chili powder (cayenne if you like it hotter). Mix it up, apply to the top of the whiting. Sprinkle on some parmasean if you have. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve on rice with the extra sauce and veggies however you like. Whiting is cheap at about $2/lb but is a 'fishy' tasting fish.