Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020755 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #12450 on: February 06, 2019, 04:13:08 AM »
@Trifele
Have you tried eating cauliflower leaves? I heard that those taste good, and indeed they do. Just have them in the frying pan for a couple of minutes and add some seasoning.

No, I never have @Linda_Norway !  Seems like most of the cauliflower sold here doesn't have the leaves on it anymore, and I haven't yet grown my own.  I've eaten lots of broccoli leaves, though, and those are indeed good.   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12451 on: February 06, 2019, 04:44:02 AM »
@Trifele
Have you tried eating cauliflower leaves? I heard that those taste good, and indeed they do. Just have them in the frying pan for a couple of minutes and add some seasoning.

No, I never have @Linda_Norway !  Seems like most of the cauliflower sold here doesn't have the leaves on it anymore, and I haven't yet grown my own.  I've eaten lots of broccoli leaves, though, and those are indeed good.

Here, they sell broccoli without the leaves. And if there are any left on them, I always peel them off. 
I have been saving broccoli stems in the freezer though, to make soup from at a later time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12452 on: February 06, 2019, 06:54:28 AM »
A women's medical problem...

Yesterday I had a bladder infection, again. I have had this many times before. Yesterday it hurt like hell to p.. and my p.. was very unclear, two obvious symptoms. Normally I would visit my GP and get a prescription for antibiotics, which costs a consult, medicine and a lot of time and hassle.

I thought I'd first try to drink it off. Last time, when it was still at an earlier stage (p.. still clear, but recognizing the feeling), this worked well. So yesterday I drank about 3 times as much as usual, tea or water. I also ate 2 enormous tablets of vitamin C, which makes the bladder sour and unattractive for those bacteria.

Today it seems to be over. My p.. is clear again and it doesn't hurt to p.. anymore. To be on the safe side, I continue to drink a lot and take some more vitamin C for a couple of days. But I think I fixed it.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #12453 on: February 06, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
Ugly weather here (freezing rain), so I cancelled my only appointment for the day that involved leaving the house. Saved six bucks on transit, and with any luck by the time it gets re-scheduled I'll be able to ride my bike there.

Plus, with these extra hours, I think I'll cook something elaborate that uses up cupboard stuff.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12454 on: February 06, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »
We needed a new faucet for the bathroom as ours was leaking and we weren't able to fix it - it's over 30 year old and worn out. We decided to go for a cheap model as we don't care much about designer items in the bathroom. Then we got a 20% student discount as well. All in all the new faucet was about €40 which isn't too bad at all. Plus we'll save a bit of water as well now it's no longer leaking. We live in an old house and every time we find and fix a leak, our next water bill is €1/month lower.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #12455 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:42 PM »
The sale item I wanted was out of stock the other day...so I went to the customer service desk and got a raincheck(!). Today the item was back in stock at the full price but I got to buy it at the sale price as I remembered my raincheck.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #12456 on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:52 PM »
I started riding my motorcycle to work this week.  It will be a lot cheaper than the car, and line ball in terms of cost with the train, maintenance included in that.  The train takes around 75 minutes and the bike is around 45 minutes. 

The only real loss is the chance to read a book on the train.  I'll still go by train on Fridays as we get free drinks at work on Friday afternoon.  I'm not riding home after half a dozen beers....

* Edit -  I just calculated it will save me around $280 per year riding rather than taking the train. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:53:43 PM by middo »

reformed spendthrift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12457 on: February 07, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
I made a big pot of spicy chicken black bean soup on Sunday and didn't feel like eating it again for the 4th time.....so  I made up a batch of basmati rice and added that to the soup to change the texture and then invited my kids over to eat the rest of it. Since I was playing around in the kitchen I decided to dig out my bread maker and made a loaf of rosemary bread to go with it. I found a box of brownie mix in the pantry and made that for dessert- my house is warm and smells heavenly!

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12458 on: February 07, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
I usually buy a big wall calendar in January. We like to use it to keep track of all our appts/important goals. I generally buy an expensive art(sy) calendar for half price or make my own which runs about $25.
This year I was too busy and on my only shopping day so far this year I spotted a Zen photo calendar for 2.99.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12459 on: February 08, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
Our gardener dropped us so we’ll call it a $900 annual savings. I’m pretty good with the manual/reel mower and we own rakes so I’ll take over for now.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12460 on: February 09, 2019, 05:07:07 AM »
I made a big pot of spicy chicken black bean soup on Sunday and didn't feel like eating it again for the 4th time.....so  I made up a batch of basmati rice and added that to the soup to change the texture and then invited my kids over to eat the rest of it. Since I was playing around in the kitchen I decided to dig out my bread maker and made a loaf of rosemary bread to go with it. I found a box of brownie mix in the pantry and made that for dessert- my house is warm and smells heavenly!

I love it when the food works out so well like that! Good for you!

I signed up for a municipal group buy on electricity.  Turns out this program has been running for over two years, with savings of about $9-10/month.  I'm trying to see this as a win rather than a loss. Better late than never!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12461 on: February 09, 2019, 05:28:21 AM »
I downloaded a grocery shopping app recommended by a friend. She got a $5 off $10 purchase coupon, and I got a $4 off $8 coupon that expired in 24 hours. I also got several other coupons.

I went online and needed to purchase $16 worth of produce. So I bought half of the groceries today, using the $4 off coupon. I’ll buy the other half tomorrow and use the $2.50 off $8 coupon.

Delivery is free so it makes no difference to me to have groceries delivered twice. But by doing it this way I save an extra $2.50.

I also save on bus fare.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12462 on: February 09, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
I took the train to the city, using DH's train card. Will do the same thing tomorrow.
I visit an event that costs money, but that I get paid back later.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12463 on: February 09, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »
@Linda_Norway - have you tried drinking cranberry juice? https://www.webmd.com/women/news/20100823/cranberry-juice-fights-urinary-tract-infection-quickly . (Note, I'm not a doctor. This is something that's worked well for me in the past, and my doctor has recommended).

For me, I used a gift card to treat my 12 year old to a mom/son lunch date, after being gone for a week. I also used a gift card from the grocery store to pick up an item for dinner tomorrow.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12464 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »
* Saved $34.50 on this year's AAA membership by canceling my husband's "associate" status (he hardly ever drives anywhere) and enrolling in autopay for an additional credit. I'd like to get rid of this expense totally at some point but we do seem to use the battery service at least a couple times a year.

* Harvested lemons from the front yard for Thing #1's school cooking demonstration
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:27:14 PM by jengod »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12465 on: February 09, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
I didn't have buttermilk for soda bread. Used the same volume of plain yogurt instead of going to the store. That was the best batch of soda bread I've ever made.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12466 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:01 AM »
* Saved $34.50 on this year's AAA membership by canceling my husband's "associate" status (he hardly ever drives anywhere) and enrolling in autopay for an additional credit. I'd like to get rid of this expense totally at some point but we do seem to use the battery service at least a couple times a year.

If you have a credit card, check to see if roadside service is included!  I have a Costco VISA and found that their roadside service was perfectly adequate and easy to use for a flat tire.  I haven't had AAA in about 5 years; if you are nervous, you can keep AAA for a while but see how the credit card service works for you next time it's needed. I just called the number on the back of my credit card, but it's smarter to write down the direct number of the roadside assistance and any other required info and keep them in your dashboard.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12467 on: February 10, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
* Got a KeyFit 30 infant car seat with two bases for free thanks to our wonderful Buy Nothing group. Our original baby seat had expired and been sent to car seat heaven; replacing it New would have been $150+. I’ll pass it along again when we’re done.

* Picked up three sidewalk pennies recently; they won’t make me rich but they don’t make me poorer either.

* Put out some containers to catch rain. Will use those on the house plants.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12468 on: February 10, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »

If you have a credit card, check to see if roadside service is included!  I have a Costco VISA and found that their roadside service was perfectly adequate and easy to use for a flat tire.  I haven't had AAA in about 5 years; if you are nervous, you can keep AAA for a while but see how the credit card service works for you next time it's needed. I just called the number on the back of my credit card, but it's smarter to write down the direct number of the roadside assistance and any other required info and keep them in your dashboard.

Poundwise, are you saying the Costco Visa card offers FREE roadside assistance? I have AARP roadside assistance and it seems exactly the same as AAA but quite a bit cheaper.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12469 on: February 11, 2019, 01:02:38 AM »
I walked to work.

In the weekend I was at a symposium for a hobby of mine. I did not buy a pile of books and a microscope. I guess that is good.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #12470 on: February 11, 2019, 04:58:36 AM »
Our youngest plays select soccer hence the name as all our kids did/do and we are sending him to Vegas Next week with a different family because its just gotten to expensive for us to go with him. Over the years we have done shorter trips with the other kids but hes the first to go on a plane and do it. Our kids are very independent a lot because of sports and though we will miss watching him play as I said will save a fortune and evidently a lot of parents are thinking the same because like 4 parents are taking all the boys.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12471 on: February 11, 2019, 07:20:49 AM »
hungry harvest for veggies:  we're in our 3rd week of it and it's been good.
we still have to go to the store for yogurt and cheese, 
but it's been good to have more variety, at least as affrodable  as other organic stores   

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12472 on: February 11, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »
I started some herbs and tomatoes from seed over the weekend in one of those little peat-pod "greenhouses."  I usually wait too late in the season to get those started.  But I'm basically redoing an entire landscape this year and need to find a way to do it that's not going to cost a fortune.  On that note, I lost 23 pine trees.  I'd like to replace them with fruit trees, but am having trouble finding varieties that a.) will actually bear fruit in my area, and b.) aren't toxic to the dog.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12473 on: February 11, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Poundwise, are you saying the Costco Visa card offers FREE roadside assistance? I have AARP roadside assistance and it seems exactly the same as AAA but quite a bit cheaper.

@Roadrunner53 There is no yearly membership fee, but you do have to pay a per-event charge. As I think about it, I forget whether it was through our Costco VISA or Executive membership, but anyway we paid $59 for help with a flat tire (yeah, I know, Mustachians change their own tires, but not if they are weaklings like me and it's the middle of a freezing night).

If you are worried about flat batteries, I strongly recommend a Scorpion portable battery.  That thing has saved our bacon so many times. https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-SmartJump-Technology-Combination-Electronics/dp/B00K0VMXDQ

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #12474 on: February 11, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
-Chased down missing refunds for a savings of $108
-Bought Uber gift cards, earning a $30 grocery store gift card. I use Uber a lot for expensable work travel, so will get it back shortly

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12475 on: February 11, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
* Finally got a warm and sunny break from the rain, so put a load of laundry out to dry.

* Juiced several homegrown lemons; put two pints of juice in the freezer and saved the rinds for citrus-vinegar cleaner.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12476 on: February 11, 2019, 04:08:10 PM »

@Roadrunner53 There is no yearly membership fee, but you do have to pay a per-event charge. As I think about it, I forget whether it was through our Costco VISA or Executive membership, but anyway we paid $59 for help with a flat tire (yeah, I know, Mustachians change their own tires, but not if they are weaklings like me and it's the middle of a freezing night).

If you are worried about flat batteries, I strongly recommend a Scorpion portable battery.  That thing has saved our bacon so many times. https://www.amazon.com/Brightech-SmartJump-Technology-Combination-Electronics/dp/B00K0VMXDQ

Thanks Poundwise. I have the Costco Visa but think I will stick with my AARP Roadside service. I only used it once and STUPID ME, I left a light on inside my car and it drained the battery. I called for service and a guy in a tow truck showed up and jumped it. No charge. I can't remember how much I pay for AARP service but either $79 or $89 per year. Well worth the peace of mind. It even covers service if I were travelling with a friend in her/his car and the car broke down. Tows up to 100 miles for free.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12477 on: February 12, 2019, 02:20:57 PM »
i pay maybe $0 a year for geico to have the roadside.
i've only used it once in 5 years.....
hmmmm.

i looked up a list of creditcards that offer free roadside

https://www.asksebby.com/blog/which-credit-cards-offer-roadside-assistance

this says they all have hefty fees

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12478 on: February 12, 2019, 02:59:44 PM »
Over 5 years, I spent $59 for the flat tire, and $60 for the Scorpion.  So far I am up three years of annual fees (assume roughly $50/year). I called just now to see if I could get more specifics on the coverage, but the benefits department couldn't help me with actual numbers, beyond saying that there would be a discount off regular prices because we are Citibank members. But all the standard stuff is covered: lockouts, batteries/jumps, 2 gallon gas delivery, tows.

Why am I willing to roll the dice? I got annoyed with AAA a few years ago because I had been a member for 20 years with hardly a claim, was in their highest level coverage,  and then when my car broke down 30 miles from home but across state lines, no free tow! I decided I'm willing to deal with the out of pocket cost of the occasional event, as long as I have a 24 hour line to call and the costs seem reasonable.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12479 on: February 13, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »
i pay maybe $0 a year for geico to have the roadside.
i've only used it once in 5 years.....
hmmmm.

i looked up a list of creditcards that offer free roadside

https://www.asksebby.com/blog/which-credit-cards-offer-roadside-assistance

this says they all have hefty fees

i meant we pay $40 per year
if it's a flat i fix it myself instead of waiting for help

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12480 on: February 13, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »
Over 5 years, I spent $59 for the flat tire, and $60 for the Scorpion.  So far I am up three years of annual fees (assume roughly $50/year). I called just now to see if I could get more specifics on the coverage, but the benefits department couldn't help me with actual numbers, beyond saying that there would be a discount off regular prices because we are Citibank members. But all the standard stuff is covered: lockouts, batteries/jumps, 2 gallon gas delivery, tows.

Why am I willing to roll the dice? I got annoyed with AAA a few years ago because I had been a member for 20 years with hardly a claim, was in their highest level coverage,  and then when my car broke down 30 miles from home but across state lines, no free tow! I decided I'm willing to deal with the out of pocket cost of the occasional event, as long as I have a 24 hour line to call and the costs seem reasonable.

you are covered by citibank credit card?  if so, which one?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12481 on: February 13, 2019, 10:32:54 PM »
Followed up a refund (I ordered something online and the product they sent me had expired).

$8 back in my bank account and the expired product got used anyway.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12482 on: February 14, 2019, 02:44:48 AM »
I worked from home for a few hours yesterday afternoon, after visiting the dentisi.
Today I forgot to bring my work PC to work. I decided not to drive back and forth to collect it, but to use another machine we have at work With Remote inlogging. It is good enough to do something useful, after some startup problems.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #12483 on: February 14, 2019, 08:01:14 AM »
I stopped going out with a gal with a $2M net worth who never picked up the check. I didn't spend money for our weekly Wednesday night dinner.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12484 on: February 14, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »
I called my Internet provider.  When I signed up for Internet, I got the 600GB/month plan for $80/ month.  I noticed a few weeks ago that I had been bumped up to 800GB/month.  It turns out that they've discontinued the plan I was on and introduced a new 600GB/month plan with faster download speeds for $65/month.  I called them up, expecting to be told that the new plans were for new users, but they let me switch over to the new plan right away.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12485 on: February 14, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »
I just increased my 401k contributions by almost the same percentage as my raise!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12486 on: February 14, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »
I just increased my 401k contributions by almost the same percentage as my raise!

WTG!  I'm hoping to do the same here very soon (i.e. I hope that Congress gets their poop in a group and passes a raise in the current funding bills). 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12487 on: February 14, 2019, 10:30:01 AM »

you are covered by citibank credit card?  if so, which one?

@letsdoit The Costco Visa, not paying an annual fee. https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/creditcards/citi.action?ID=citi-costco-credit-card-conversion

In the final analysis, I've been using roadside assistance maybe once every five years. I maintain my cars pretty well even though they're old. What I really want out of roadside assistance is assurance that somebody will come to help within an hour if I need it, and that the cost will be reasonable. My experience so far with credit card RA is that this has been the case.  What I don't like is that the fee structure is opaque.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #12488 on: February 14, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »
re costco card ,
how did you get out of annual fee ?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12489 on: February 14, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
I changed our electricity provider to a chesper one. And I shopped extra vegetables in a shop with trippel cashback on vegetables today. I can freeze some of them.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12490 on: February 14, 2019, 02:30:55 PM »
Refrigerator is acting up. Replaced the part making the noise myself already, which lessened but did not eliminate the problem.  So, rather than pay a repair man to come fix it, I found out the 2nd most likely cause is the control board is going bad.  It's a $200 part (ouch).  Shopped around, found a place in Canada that had it for $120 shipped.  I'll be doing the fixing myself. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12491 on: February 14, 2019, 03:38:41 PM »
re costco card ,
how did you get out of annual fee ?

Oh, you're confused between getting a Costco Visa vs a Costco membership. I have both. Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Roadside assistance is through the Visa card (no membership fee).
 You can ALSO get roadside assistance with a Costco executive membership if you buy car insurance through them.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:44:33 PM by Poundwise »

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12492 on: February 14, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »
One can only have the Costco Visa if they pay for a Costco membership, ergo not free.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12493 on: February 15, 2019, 04:06:59 AM »
I also posted this in the "Reduce Your Environmental Impact" thread.  So often the two go together!

We're currently doing a DIY major to-the-studs kitchen remodel in the old house we bought, and we kept and repaired the existing appliances.  The dishwasher was leaking and the door hinge was broken, and the gas cooktop would not light, was missing gaskets, and needed a new gas supply line.  My DH has great fix-it skills.   He took both of them to pieces, diagnosed the problems, got parts at the local appliance repair store, and put them back together.  Voila -- both working great now. 

We saved money by giving them a new life and we kept them out of the landfill.  Wins!   

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12494 on: February 15, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
* I saved $5-10 by not buying a “washing machine cleaner” product; citrus vinegar and Dawn and a flexible brush does a fine job.

* Collected rainwater in buckets.

* Trashpicked two pineapple tops left beside a bus stop; I like to try to grow new pineapples from the tops. If either of these take that’s a nice savings, both on the original pineapple and on the crop pineapple in a couple of years.

* Started three new geraniums from cuttings.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12495 on: February 15, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Put in the time to plan out what CCs we're going to get to hit sign up rewards for our next IVF cycle. The big win was another mustachian IVFer mentioning a card's rotating category currently has pharmacies/drug stores. Contacted them, and the specialty company I get fertility meds through will count, so we'll be able to get 5% back on $1500 worth of those, plus a sign up bonus. May do one each for my husband and I and hit it double (it'll be like $~5k of meds, so 5% back on $3k of that if we both open one and split the transaction)

So many thanks to this forum, for real.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12496 on: February 17, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »
Yesterday evening we went out in the city to listen to some talks. There was an option to buy wine and beer, which most of the audience did. We had brought bottles of water from home. Wine and beer here in Norway is really pricy and not something you should order in a café. We drank a home brewn beer when we came home.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #12497 on: February 17, 2019, 04:03:58 AM »
Today I'm re-doing and updating our grocery price book.  We shop at 3 stores.  I'm replacing one of the stores in our rotation with a good discount/salvage food store we found.  I used to just drop in to the salvage store on occasion, but now the salvage food store will be stop #1 each week (Aldi will be #2). 

Shopping salvage is a different mindset since the inventory varies, but I'm retired now so I have plenty of time and mental bandwidth.  No excuses.  Thanks to @APowers and his $200-a-month grocery thread last year I'm starting to see the results that can be obtained by different strategies.  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/have-a-sub-$200month-grocery-budget/

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12498 on: February 19, 2019, 05:52:15 PM »
I had a 10 percent off coupon for the Conventional Grocery Store (from when I got my flu shot at their pharmacy) that was due to expire so I picked up some food and stacked three other paper coupons to save $15.53.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12499 on: February 19, 2019, 06:55:02 PM »
Continuing with the grocery theme, today my Mom and I went to the store.  She has been here helping me while I’ve been fighting off a bad stomachinfection and she wanted to see that I had the strength to grocery shop again.  So we went to Safeway where I bought $100+ in groceries and saved 20% off my bill with just 4 u clipping, a $4 off reward, and a free pack of batteries from their Monopoly game coupon.  Since I’ve been at home sick I’ve been laying out my Monopoly pieces and geeking out over the board.  This week, I won free batteries... so maybe next week a million dollars?