Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021011 times)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4300 on: September 12, 2015, 02:26:46 PM »
We are away on a little mini-vacation for the weekend to a cabin we get for practically free, so while away I've done the following:

*Spaghetti dinner the first night with meat and cans of tomato sauce brought from home. Diced up an onion and a pepper and added my own spices. Bought 2 baguettes.

*Did grocery shopping up here, which I don't normally do but it was a short notice trip. I brought staples from home like: peanut butter, cans of tuna and salmon, pickles, oatmeal packets, homemade pancake mix, eggs, etc. Planned each meal out so that I was buying minimal fresh food at the local, fancypants grocery store.

*Kids and husband went for a 2 hour walk, on the trails and by the creek and watched a local race.  This afternoon, we will go to the lake. There are many tempting and expensive things to do here, but we won't be doing them.

*Relaxing, reading and enjoying the last of the nice weather.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:29:45 PM by 1967mama »

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #4301 on: September 12, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
I went to our annual Art Fair in town here, which is actually a very nice event along a walking path by the river.  I looked but didn't buy a thing.  And still had just as good of a time.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4302 on: September 12, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
I resisted the urge to get a 12 pack of beer on the way home from work today.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4303 on: September 12, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
Walked to the grocery store instead of driving, even though it's all uphill and it's hot today.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4304 on: September 12, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Walked to the grocery store instead of driving, even though it's all uphill and it's hot today.

Good for you! I have a large hill right before my street on the way home from the grocery store and I haven't been brave enough to try it on my bike.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4305 on: September 13, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »
We did a neighbors BBQ, and offered to be the ones to buy the groceries (we got reimbursed) so that we would get the 6% on our rewards CC, and the bump toward meeting our spending minimum to get the $150 signup bonus.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #4306 on: September 13, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
I replenished my spice cabinet by buying from the local bulk food store. 10herbs and spices plus other things for $6. Later, at the grocery store I pointed out the prices to Hubs, explaining why I get them at the bulk store. We watched the lady in front of us do a double take and put two bottles back 👍

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4307 on: September 13, 2015, 10:00:07 AM »
We've been dealing intermittent A/C issues all summer. The fan would go but it wouldn't blow cold. Started out working for days and not working for a few hours, over the last 3 weeks I'd say we've had working A/C about 24 hours total and we're dealing with 100 degree daily temperatures.

DW and I basically refused to buy a new A/C until someone could identify the issue, multiple techs and two companies and a duct sealing we have a more efficient running A/C which we've been told has had a few parts replaced. The end result being about $50 in service fees, replacing a contactor for $312 (we looked this up and the part actually costs $10, but I guess a little professional installation is worth piece of mind), and the most experienced tech a day later bypassing a timer switch cause our Nest already has it. A tiny yellow wire and the unit roared back to life instantly.

$362 > $3-5k

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #4308 on: September 13, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
I dug out the remnants of my stick deodorant and smooched it on top of my new stick deodorant.

Instead of buying the cute little doggie poop bags at the dollar store...using the bags I was going to toss from the grocery store.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4309 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
Resisted the temptation to stop at the grocery store and buy more chocolate peanut butter ice cream even though I am recovering from oral surgery and deserve it.

Aki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4310 on: September 13, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »
Didn't buy $15.99 Calvin Klein winter coat from Goodwill.  I'd just dropped off a trunkload of donations but this coat was cute, although a size too large.  And I already have a winter coat.  I figure if I still wanted it next weekend and it was still there, I could always go back! 

mrteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #4311 on: September 13, 2015, 04:43:10 PM »

Me too. I've either walked/biked exclusively since moving to my new apartment a couple weeks ago. My car is used (almost!) exclusively for work commuting.

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #4312 on: September 13, 2015, 05:44:30 PM »
Walked to the grocery store in the rain to get ingredients for dinner. It was a nice walk and September rains aren't cold yet.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4313 on: September 13, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
*Used up a 10lb bag of potatoes for dinner (big family). Baked them all and made broccoli and here's sauce for a topping or spaghetti sauce that I've thawed from the freezer.

*Chain cooking- the oven is hot with the potatoes in so while they were cooking I mixed up a double batch of banana bread with the 5 spotty bananas. - the element on my glass cooktop is hot so I did the cheese sauce, then the broccoli, and now a dozen eggs for lunches this week.

*Had a moment of feeling slightly badass since I'm tired from cleaning up the cabin we spent the weekend at, packing up, driving 2 1/4 hours home and unpacking. It would have been very easy for me to order in:-)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4314 on: September 13, 2015, 09:00:17 PM »
Dried tomatoe to store some of the bounty

Made banana bread

Made no bake protein energy bites - passed the DH taste test

Harvested tomatoes from the garden

Tested sandals repaired with Shoe Goo - low stress test, but so far holding together

Froze leftover brownie before it spoils/stales anymore

I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4315 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
*Husband is painting 12 year old son's room his favourite colour -- ORANGE! as in 1970s orange. Its awful but he is delighted! I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

If he is into cars, orange paired with light blue is a classic colour combination. Think Gulf Racing, Porsche at Le Mans. My husband and I  are renting but we'd love to have a reason to paint a room up like that.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4316 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
*Husband is painting 12 year old son's room his favourite colour -- ORANGE! as in 1970s orange. Its awful but he is delighted! I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

Brings back fond memories. I lived in an orange dorm room for two years. Didn't get depressed.

I initially read this as "fondue memories" which was equally fitting. Still laughing. :D

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4317 on: September 13, 2015, 10:51:01 PM »

If he is into cars, orange paired with light blue is a classic colour combination. Think Gulf Racing, Porsche at Le Mans. My husband and I  are renting but we'd love to have a reason to paint a room up like that.

Thanks for this great tip. I'm going to google that with him tmw. Would make great accents!

NataliaDuma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4318 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:19 AM »
I try my best to live a frugal life and live within my means and for today I didn't allow myself to be tempted to buy outside of my budget. I avoided buying food that I won't be able to finish anyway and today I went on to shop for clothes at my favorite consignment shop.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4319 on: September 14, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
I plugged in my sewing machine at 7am and fixed the 5 inch long tear in the backpack I use for bicycle commuting/hauling my work clothes, instead of continuing to look like a bag lady or buying a new backpack.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4320 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
* Transferred to bank account $25 in consignment clothing sold and $25 for a purse I'd bought for 50 cents.
* Planning out how many and what types of various containers we already have (suitcase, duffel bags, cooler, plastic bins, etc) that can be used as-is in lieu of moving boxes.
* Culled more DVDs and CDs to be sold.
* Decided not to buy a couple of new shirts to replace shirts that are less lovely but still perfectly fine.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4321 on: September 14, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
Got in at 3 am from my weekend roadtrip.  Made myself ge up early enough to scrounge snacks to pack for lunch. 

Small thing, but it took significant  will power.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4322 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
-Did a phone survey with a car insurance company I decided NOT to go with. They gave me a $25 amazon gift card in exchange. Estimated to take 30 min, but it only took 10. Also, the lady on the phone was nice, so it was an entertaining and easy call.
-Filled out employment paperwork.
-Got REALLY EXCITED when I figured out my company offers a 401k match.
-Using up some Bok Choy that's getting floppy. Stir fry for dinner!
-Bought a relative a gift with a gift card I already had.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4323 on: September 14, 2015, 01:06:53 PM »
I save butter wrappers to grease baking pans. Recently I started using them as parchment squares too.

This is beyond brilliant.  I will never throw away a butter wrapper again.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread:  I used dried corn gifted to me by a neighbor and an old pant leg to make a microwavable hot pack for my back.  Feels wonderful.  I also told her to keep an ear open to see if anybody was throwing away a coffee grinder as ours has died.  We have a lovely frugal network going.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4324 on: September 15, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
Recently:

Saved 28% last night at the grocery store using paper coupons, e-coupons and shopping the sales.

Traded peaches and apples from DH's trees for farm fresh eggs this morning.

Batch cooking in the slow cooker today and tomorrow and will freeze extras.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, uneaten and unused has been labeled and placed into the freezer this month.  Tomato paste, homemade pinto chicken chili, etc.

Next Monday I will donate two bags of items for a tax deduction.

There are three items in the mending pile.  So glad I paid attention in home economics class!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4325 on: September 15, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
I remembered to bring a 10% off lifetime loyalty card with me when I bought scrubs. Turned out to be very important, as they replaced their computer system and don't have anyone stored digitally anymore.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4326 on: September 15, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
In the last 5 days I have kicked ass!

$40/month      Switched Auto and Homeowner's Insurance to Geico (will drop another $10/month when speeding ticket drops off in a few months).
$13/month      Called to drop Internet to lower tier. They gave me 20% discount on the current tier for 1 year which brought it within $2 of the one to which I was going to switch.
$320/month    Paid off the car loan!!!

Total monthly expenses saved = $353

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4327 on: September 15, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
Finally got my ex-girlfriend off my phone plan!  Switched to the lowest data plan right away...we'll see what the savings will be, but I expect it to be pretty significant.  Am contemplating switching off from my 5 year old smart phone to a regular "dumb" phone.  The only thing I ever use my smart phone for is Google Maps.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4328 on: September 15, 2015, 06:36:12 PM »
*Dinner from Budget Bytes
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/one-pot-beef-mushroom-stroganoff/

Wow, ok. That's the only thing I can think of for today. Had some emotional things to deal with on the kid front today, so I guess that's why. I spent most of my day dealing with issues. And my husband has been away since Sunday, so I'm on my own dealing with these things.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4329 on: September 15, 2015, 07:57:21 PM »
*Dinner from Budget Bytes
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/one-pot-beef-mushroom-stroganoff/

Wow, ok. That's the only thing I can think of for today. Had some emotional things to deal with on the kid front today, so I guess that's why. I spent most of my day dealing with issues. And my husband has been away since Sunday, so I'm on my own dealing with these things.

<3 I hope it's all turning out okay, and you feel at peace with it all. Some days, dinner alone is a huge accomplishment! Don't downplay it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4330 on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »

$40/month      Switched Auto and Homeowner's Insurance to Geico (will drop another $10/month when speeding ticket drops off in a few months).
$13/month      Called to drop Internet to lower tier. They gave me 20% discount on the current tier for 1 year which brought it within $2 of the one to which I was going to switch.

That is huge! Well done, dcozad999.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4331 on: September 15, 2015, 10:07:03 PM »
* Sold a book on ebay.
* Assembled two of our Halloween costumes from thrift store finds.
* Today's storm refilled our rain barrel.
* Walked to the grocery store.
* Ordered two more Belkin Conserve Power Switches. Been using the Belkin timer socket for my cell-phone charger and LOVE IT, and want to put these in the laundry room so the washer and dryer can be shut off completely when not in use. Not sure when we'll make our money back on electricity savings, but the environmental benefits are worth it for me.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4332 on: September 16, 2015, 02:58:09 AM »
My wife and I were travelling with Alaska Airlines this past weekend, and she had a bag that needed to be checked, for an additional charge of $25 per flight.
I packed a large backpack intending to carry it on, but when I got to the boarding gate the airline were offering free baggage hold check in if you didn't need your bag on the flight. I checked my bag for free, saving 50 dollars and the hassle of finding an overhead bin slot.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:00:07 AM by dorothyc »

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4333 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:55 AM »
Bought 3 pairs of shoes today for work- my size and style (flat slip ons), for a grand total of $8! Ugly beige colour, but I couldn't care less, they're functional, and they'll last me a year hopefully.

Finished the last of a huge brown rice/bean/corn/tuna salad that I made and have been eating for lunch this week (getting a bit sick of it tbh, but pushed through).

Plugged my electric toothbrush recharger in for 30 mins, will gve me 2 weeks of brushing

Cut my own hair, in the time honoured put-into-ponytail-and-hack-at-it method. Worked out surprisingly well.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4334 on: September 16, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »

That is huge! Well done, dcozad999.

Thank you!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4335 on: September 16, 2015, 07:30:56 AM »
I officially moved to the closer office. It still takes far too long to get here, but it's entirely by public transportation and is $5.50 less per day. At about 20 days a month, this turns out to be $110/month savings, or $1320/yr. We will not be here for a full year, so it's only temporary savings, but still, it's $900 worth of savings!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4336 on: September 16, 2015, 07:56:33 AM »
Cut my own hair, in the time honoured put-into-ponytail-and-hack-at-it method. Worked out surprisingly well.
Have been thinking the last few days that I've totally lost it and seem to only belong in whatever the opposite of this thread is but hooray, I did do this on Sunday. Even spent a while afterwards tidying things up. Ended up with a much shorter cut than I was planning on but it looks really great. And is still long enough to put up, so can have it out of my way when working.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4337 on: September 16, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »
Message from paypal received $12.16 - transfer to add to the stash:) plus had a return for $10.15 - added to emergency cash @ home.

Reviewed T-Mobile bill - looks like I can make some cuts. We'll see.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4338 on: September 16, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
* I made about $45 today selling stuff, including some books and baseball cards I rescued from the trash.
* We saved $225 this week not hiring an exterminator to kill our cockroaches. On the advice of some MMM forum wisdom, we sprinkled the kitchen with borax for free and it has worked extremely well.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:37:50 PM by jengod »

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #4339 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:42 PM »
I pulled all of my shoes together in one place. Cleaned and polished them all, then put away the summer shoes.  I have two pair of brown and two pair of black (loafers and pumps) to carry me through fall and summer and I know where the off season shoes are.
Small things in a positive direction.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:48:19 AM by Tabitha »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4340 on: September 17, 2015, 12:03:53 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Bracken_Joy... much appreciated. Yesterday was a difficult day, for sure, and I woke up this morning with those still uneasy thoughts in my mind. That started to lift late this afternoon with a positive one-on-one with my 17 year old son (one of the culprits) and more lifted this evening with an incident that turned into a positive with a family friend. So there you go. Life's bumps and bruises.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #4341 on: September 17, 2015, 05:13:37 AM »
Made my lunch from last nights leftovers (which were frozen leftovers from a monster pig roast at my sister's a few weeks back!!! Great tasting smoky piggy)... made a coffee for work (as usual) - remembered to pack my milk and instant coffee to make more at work.
Am pretty happy that since I have returned to work after my maternity ended in April I have made my lunch every day... saving me at least $5-10 a shift ... and I have only bought 5 coffee's (at $1.90) since then ... I used to buy 1 or 2 a shift ... 5 days  a week...

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #4342 on: September 17, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »
Our dog was showing signs of illness last night, so we chose to take him to the after-hours vet clinic. The ultimate diagnosis was "keep monitoring him" but several worrisome possibilities were ruled out. We saved money by turning down the additional tests that even the vet seemed to think we're unnecessary at this time.
I almost typed "we had to take him..." But caught myself in realizing it was, as always, a choice. I hope he will be better in a day or two. I'm glad I budget for medical expenses for all of us, including the cat and dog.

In the spirit of the thread - I just pulled planned overs from the fridge to pack our healthy portable lunches.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4343 on: September 17, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »
Guys. This is huge. Last night, I made the frugalwoods rice and beans recipe, and served it for dinner....

and my husband LIKED it. And went back for seconds. And thirds. I'm not sure how the frugalwoods stretch it to a week's worth of lunches for both of them, but the fact that there were leftovers at all is amazing in this house. And again- beans. No meat, cheese, or eggs.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #4344 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »
Traveled by train but didn't buy any food at the station because I brought my own. Quite striking to see how much effort they're making to trick you into buying overpriced foodstuff...

Nancy

« Reply #4345 on: September 17, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
Nice, Bracken_Joy!

Today I volunteered to set up at a free stuff swap. I grabbed a nice long sleeve wicking shirt for biking. Free!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4346 on: September 17, 2015, 01:18:46 PM »
Guys. This is huge. Last night, I made the frugalwoods rice and beans recipe, and served it for dinner....

and my husband LIKED it. And went back for seconds. And thirds. I'm not sure how the frugalwoods stretch it to a week's worth of lunches for both of them, but the fact that there were leftovers at all is amazing in this house. And again- beans. No meat, cheese, or eggs.

I wish I could get DH on the beans and rice train; I've tried numerous recipes (including FW) and each time he's "meh." I just think I've got a ways to go before I can introduce my Midwestern meat-and-potatoes guy to non-meat-and-potatoes meals.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4347 on: September 17, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
Have been thinking the last few days that I've totally lost it and seem to only belong in whatever the opposite of this thread is but hooray, I did do this on Sunday. Even spent a while afterwards tidying things up. Ended up with a much shorter cut than I was planning on but it looks really great. And is still long enough to put up, so can have it out of my way when working.

I want to do this next time I'm due for a cut. (I only go two to three times a year anyway.)

My husband is horrified at the thought. I should just do it and not tell him until after...

What scissors did you use?

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4348 on: September 17, 2015, 04:49:53 PM »
* Destroyed our old couch into pieces that fit into dumpster rather than pay someone to cart it away intact.
* Found an old lip balm (mine, not someone else's) beneath the cushions. Cleaned the outside container; contents inside still perfectly good.
* Digitizing old cassettes before finally getting rid of cassette player.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4349 on: September 17, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »

I want to do this next time I'm due for a cut. (I only go two to three times a year anyway.)

My husband is horrified at the thought. I should just do it and not tell him until after...

What scissors did you use?
I use a basic $5 pair of hair cutting scissors I got from a drug store.  They have lasted me several years.