Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020950 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2350 on: February 02, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
In case this doesn't work...lots of things you can do with jelly/jam that didn't set well.  Stir in yoghurt or oatmeal.  Add to BBQ sauce as the sweet component. Add to club soda to create your own soda pop.  Add to a smoothie.  Use a meat glaze. 

Or whap it onto pancakes! I once made a huge amount of cherry jam from a tub of sour cherries.... had about six cups of juice left that never really set into jelly. But man, it was good on pancakes. Especially with sour cream instead of butter.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2351 on: February 02, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »
I was snowed in today, so after I finished shoveling I redeemed online rewards programs for $15 in Amazon gift cards.  Those should come in handy.  Then, I played My Vegas for a bit while cleaning up the house and earned another 3000 points toward our nearly free Vegas vacation this summer.  For dinner, I made chicken a la king with stuff I had lying around in the freezer and pantry and served it over some of the bread I baked yesterday.  Another day without spending any money -- other than what I had already spent for the stuff I used today.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2352 on: February 02, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »
Drank free trade show coffee instead of hitting Starbucks.  Passed by the hotel bar and had some free tea in my room even though I really wanted a beer (which I would have regretted anyway when it impacted my sleep).  Who knew Sacramento was so expensive?  I got a sandwich and a small bowl of chile today and paid $16.  No chips or drinks or anything.  Thinking Ill go on a voyage to Safeway tomorrow.

Last post I mentioned the fancy pants saddle Im ordering - today I lined up a buyer for my current one, so no advertising or ebay and shipping fee BS and makes the net cost of the new saddle fairly reasonable at the end of the day.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #2353 on: February 02, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »
Called Century link and requested they reduce my rate to match their slow speed for my internet (i only get 2.5 here, far from the nearest node, but they are were charging me for 7.  Saved 25/month.  Now if i can only figure out how to get them to give me faster speeds....

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #2354 on: February 03, 2015, 01:17:41 AM »
Late summer here in NZ and I combined biking and foraging tonight and picked a 2 litre icecream container of delicious blackberries. Can't believe I'm yet to see anyone else doing the same. Aiming to get enough for blackberry porridge all winter. Yum.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #2355 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:24 AM »
Went through my insurances and found out I have a travel insurance that's waay to expensive. Will cancel and take a much cheaper one.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:59:03 AM by DagobertDuck »

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2356 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »
I took apart three live christmas wreaths I had purchased in November to decorate my barn for the holidays.

I saved the metal form and the three red bows. Stored them away until next year when I will forage for greens and make my own live wreaths.  Although I could not bother with wreaths, I will because I enjoy them, this will make them free for at least several years as I reuse the materials.

Hung several loads of laundry on drying racks in front of the fireplace and have been crazy vigilant with food waste. Is anyone interested in leftover homemade chicken fingers, taco salad and butternut squash for dinner?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2357 on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
Not exactly money saving, but my bf packed lunches last night, completely of his own initiative! (Typically I am the lunch-packer. Which isn't like The Worst but it's always good to see support for one's goals and methodologies!)

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2358 on: February 03, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
A couple of desks arrived at work today (for me to put together). I'm taking home some of the packaging for eBay selling. Not a lot but also not wasteful!

Returnoftheyeti

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2359 on: February 03, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Public Transportation to the Dentist.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2360 on: February 04, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
Got cash out on the way to work and paid for my lunch with it, avoiding the dodgy $10 minimum electronic payment requirement at the place next to my work which means I have to buy 2 items.

It would have been better still to bring my lunch from home but a smaller spend is still a small win.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2361 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
*  Managed to not spend any money yesterday.
*  Brought lunch to work today (as usual, but I had a few "buy lunch" days last week, so back on the wagon)
*  Will take advantage of using a free gym tonight to work out (which I need to make a habit)

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2362 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:59 AM »
Rented our place in the parkinglot for a half year, so we don't have too pay for it ourselves.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2363 on: February 04, 2015, 11:34:34 AM »
Discovered an errant turkey in the bottom of the freezer.  Cooked it for dinner last night.  It tasted slightly freezer burned.  Made mole' sauce.  The Hub (who doesn't know the reason for the sauce) is raving about how good the burritos are.  Just ate another one for breakfast.  Damn, they are GOOD.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2364 on: February 04, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »
Discovered an errant turkey in the bottom of the freezer.  .

I'm giggling, picturing your turkey hiding in the bottom of your freezer, trying to go unnoticed! hahahhah

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2365 on: February 04, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
Is anyone interested in leftover homemade chicken fingers, taco salad and butternut squash for dinner?

I am, I am!  I'll bring dessert.  How did you prepare your butternut squash?  I usually just roast in the oven.  Not very exciting, and I'm looking for some simple tip and tricks.

Called phone company to ask why I owe them money if I cancelled service on the last day of last period.  They waived the fee.

Have ting cell phone pricing for my dad.  He's currently paying $20, but with ting, he would only pay $9. Does it count if you save someone else money?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2366 on: February 04, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »
Well what happened to me today was not so little I guess. I've actually coined a new term for it - frugasmic!

Yes, it was that thrilling. I stopped by my local Whole Foods to supplement a few things after getting my CSA share. Our local Whole Foods is closing up shop and opening a brand new larger store less than a mile away. I guess it's happening next week, although I had no idea when it was happening. So as I walk in the door, I see a sign that said there was a 25% discount on select items. Some signs were strategically placed around the store, but I didn't pay much attention since it was unclear what was on sale.

Then, as I pass by the meats area, the butcher is yelling out "25% in the whole store, yes you heard that right". I almost had a heart attack when I heard that, paused and took a deep breath, and asked him directly if that meant everything in the store not just what was around the signs. He said, yes EVERYTHING.

Well then...I did a double take, backtracked my way to the front of the store and started loading up on things that would last a while (grains, tuna fish, sardines) and other such goodies. I ended up spending almost $200. I told the cashier I've never spent that much in one visit. Then she said the best was yet to come as that was the total before the 25% discount. She then clicked a button and I started to see the discounts being applied one by one at the register screen in front of me. As that number slowly dwindled down to $150, I could barely contain my enthusiasm.

Such simple things as getting a whopping 25% discount at the grocery store can truly be called "frugasmic" (for the frugally inclined).

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2367 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
Broke up with girlfriend.

Actually she initiated it, but it was mutually agreed upon and not a bad thing. Easiest breakup ever actually, we went for dinner after (it was her turn to pay) and chatted and laughed and I think we both felt a sense of relief.

But I will save money. She lives 45 min away and was by far my biggest use of my gas/car/restaurant budget.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #2368 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »
My friend was selling off some things from her closet and I bought a pair of short black boots that were just a little too narrow for her, but fit me perfectly. Great quality, barely worn leather boots for $20.

Oh - and I thought I didn't have anything to pack for lunch, but located a can of soup in the pantry, threw in a piece of fruit and made it work.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:39:58 AM by peppermint »

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2369 on: February 05, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
Tracked my spending for all of January! For the first time in my entire life I know how much I spent, what I spent it on, how much I made. Whoot. Happily I also spent less than I made - so even better!!!!

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2370 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
Is anyone interested in leftover homemade chicken fingers, taco salad and butternut squash for dinner?

I am, I am!  I'll bring dessert.  How did you prepare your butternut squash?  I usually just roast in the oven.  Not very exciting, and I'm looking for some simple tip and tricks.

Called phone company to ask why I owe them money if I cancelled service on the last day of last period.  They waived the fee.

Have ting cell phone pricing for my dad.  He's currently paying $20, but with ting, he would only pay $9. Does it count if you save someone else money?

I do the roasting thing in the oven too. I just found this new recipe as well though....soooo good!

http://iowagirleats.com/2015/02/02/gluten-free-penne-kale-butternut-squash-sausage/

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #2371 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
Tracked my spending for all of January! For the first time in my entire life I know how much I spent, what I spent it on, how much I made. Whoot. Happily I also spent less than I made - so even better!!!!

Me too. First time I ever tracked every penny. I loved it. I feel empowered!

My DH was pretty impressed too, and shocked at some of the results.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2372 on: February 05, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »

Me too. First time I ever tracked every penny. I loved it. I feel empowered!

My DH was pretty impressed too, and shocked at some of the results.

SO and I did the same! For the first time we didn't miss anything (we attempted in December but I know we missed some cash expenses). Feels great :D.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2373 on: February 05, 2015, 12:03:38 PM »
Bread didn't rise right.  No sweat, it will be repurposed as pizza crust. 

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2374 on: February 05, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »
I said NO when my husband offered to buy me chocolat. (Now he's cranky, I guess he also wanted it but tried too make it sound like it was a selfless act :P )

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2375 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
1) Whole chicken from the freezer, cooked up in crockpot yesterday -- will become chicken-etti for dinner (Pioneer Woman Cooks website)

2) Trying to use a teapot for my loose leaves instead of tea bag - seeing how much extra steeping I can get out of the leaves.

3) Husband had soup for lunch that I had frozen. That single serving so often goes to waste in the back of the fridge, so I'm really trying to get those things frozen when I notice them, before they start growing!

4) Unplugging devices once they're done charging.

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2376 on: February 05, 2015, 06:41:37 PM »
Broke up with girlfriend.

Actually she initiated it, but it was mutually agreed upon and not a bad thing. Easiest breakup ever actually, we went for dinner after (it was her turn to pay) and chatted and laughed and I think we both felt a sense of relief.

But I will save money. She lives 45 min away and was by far my biggest use of my gas/car/restaurant budget.

Sorry about the break up. I hope it remains as amiable as it started. Glad it saves you some cash.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2377 on: February 05, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Hey, we hit 50 pages of "What small things did you do TODAY to save money?" --- this is my favourite thread to post to and I find myself thinking about it during the day. If I'm not feeling especially frugal, I know I will still need to do something frugal to be able to post here by bedtime! Thanks for the wonderful sharing of ideas!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2378 on: February 05, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »
*  spent only $11 on groceries intended to last the next ten days
*  no extra driving - just to work and back
*  started a "track every expense" notebook

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2379 on: February 06, 2015, 05:28:57 AM »
I have an older car (15 years) that looks pretty bad because the paint has burned off from the sun, but it still runs very well.  It is our main driver.  So here's our thought process:

1.  buy a new, cheap car at $40k+
2.  buy a used car at $12k
3.  paint the old car for $1.2k

Guess which one we chose?  Scheduled to be painted in two weeks. :)

Yeah, I know I don't have to paint it, but my DW is getting comments from judgemental others (JOs) about her car.  If it looks nice, they won't even notice how old it is.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2380 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:53 AM »
I'm a little late to the party, but IN!  I started researching low-cost meals (thanks to another thread on this site) to try for next week. 

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2381 on: February 06, 2015, 09:26:09 AM »
Spent some quality time with the federal Free Fillable Forms and maximized my refund.  There was about $100 that the software wasn't giving me back!

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2382 on: February 06, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
Walking instead of taking the bus. It was cold and I was very tired, but it was worth it. The walk also helped me to think about some things :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2383 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »
Made coffee this morning by adding one scoop of new grounds to the old ones the Mr. Coffee.  Can't tell the difference. 

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2384 on: February 06, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
You guys rock!  1967mama, I agree!  Yay 50 pages!

Lately I've:
Been eating less, losing weight and working out.  This saves on food and alcohol, and on RX because I use less asthma inhaler.

Tonight I'll go to City Market/kroger and retrieve 5 free things.  :D  (Free Friday downloads, Best Customer Coupons, etc.)

Last Sunday's beef roast stretched into 2 dinners, several lunches, and 2 extra burritos.  Pork chops earlier this week turned into 1 dinner and 2 lunches.  I love batch cooking!

I'll use value points at the pump tonight.

Going to pay my truck insurance for the year next week.  I shopped around (I am my own insurance agent) and am going from $46 to $32 (figures rounded) a month for liability only.

Am planning my birthday party and will use coupons for food and the alcohol.  Some will bring food for a pot luck.

I closed the door and heat vents to two unused rooms.  I am still going back and forth on this, as I've read to keep them open for maximum furnace efficiency...?  If anyone has any feedback, I'm all ears.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2385 on: February 06, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
*  another homemade lunch
*  looking into grocery coupons - the things I typically buy tend to not have coupons, but maybe I can make some changes . . .
*  declared today a "spend nothing" day
*  found $6 and some change in an old purse while I was looking for something else

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2386 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
Had cash in the wallet (rare, as I never use cash) and resisted the urge to stop for Mexican or Thai on my way home from work (smelled SO good). Instead, ate some leftovers in the fridge and prepped the falafel for dinner.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2387 on: February 06, 2015, 01:33:38 PM »
Had cash in the wallet (rare, as I never use cash) and resisted the urge to stop for Mexican or Thai on my way home from work (smelled SO good). Instead, ate some leftovers in the fridge and prepped the falafel for dinner.

Good one. I myself am eating scraps for dinner while Mrs. Yankuba dines out with her lady friends.

My savings - I went to the college library and scanned and emailed 100 pages from a textbook instead of spending $50 on the textbook. It was an hour of time - well worth it.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2388 on: February 06, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
Went to the county tax office and signed off on the application for a conservation easement on our property. With any luck, this will not be a small thing.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2389 on: February 06, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Small things today: rode my bike to work and back (20 km), prepared some leftovers as lunch and dinner, picked up some free garden chair pillows, sold another vinyl record. I've sown the fava beans in front of a south-facing window in the shed, so no additional lighting needed. Will sow my snap peas and snow peas tomorrow in the shed as well. Now I'm just crossing my fingers for a (relatively) warm or at least, frost free February and the key to my new allotment.

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #2390 on: February 06, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
Cancelled the recurring 3 week appointment on my calender to get my hair cut. Just bought some Wahl Color Pro clippers and started to buzzcut my hair myself! Saved myself ~$30k over the course of 30 years!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2391 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »

Sorry about the break up. I hope it remains as amiable as it started. Glad it saves you some cash.

Thank you, I'm sure it will be. :)

Today I called my internet provider and got $5/month off the bill for the next 12 months.

Also had leftovers for breakfast, made more pizza dough, and made DELICIOUS biscuits!

Got a couple Peru books from the Library to figure out the best and cheapest way to kill 5-6 days while getting from Lima to Cuzco. Cancelled the amazon tour portion for other reasons, but it'll save me a few hundred dollars.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2392 on: February 06, 2015, 03:42:18 PM »
Went to a cool exhibit at the Studio Museum of Harlem (on free day) that involved conceptual art postcards. Got four (free) postcards. Gonna rotate them through the frames in Galerie Pissoir (the Ikea frames at eye height above my toilet).

Didn't bring a lunch to work, but instead of buying a meal I nibbled at the remnants of my Mustachian Work Food Stash and just waited till I got home to eat.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2393 on: February 06, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
The fan that makes my car warm and defrosts my windshield stopped working on Tuesday night after I hit a big pothole. :-( Yesterday, I took the car to a nearby mechanic and asked him to call me with an estimate before fixing it. $365 and change! Then I called Pep Boys where they said they could fix it for $258 and change. But when I picked the car up from the first mechanic, he'd fixed the problem temporarily by hitting the fan motor a couple times, no charge. This morning I kept my appointment at Pep Boys but was told I might as well wait until it broke again to fix it since it might work for another 5 or 6 months.

So either $365 saved or else $258 saved, or maybe I just saved the interest on the money between now and when the car needs to be fixed properly.

On the way home from work, I thought I'd go to the grocery store and get some more interesting things for dinner than what I had on hand. But the traffic in that direction was especially bad and would've involved a messy left turn where traffic in all directions was backed up into the same intersection. So I went straight home and made tuna macaroni and cheese from pantry items and cheese I had in the freezer. Saved a lot of fuss and whatever I might have spent at the supermarket.

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2394 on: February 06, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
Got a free movie rental and a half-price movie rental for a Friday date night. Total cost: $0.83 (plus snacks, but those were gotten from the discount grocery store).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2395 on: February 06, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Cooked a couple tough old chickens I got from a family remember and am storing the meat in individual soup portions in the freezer for quick meals.

Used a Christmas gift- whiskey sticks! I'm excited to see how it turns out, but basically, it is smoked oak pieces you add to whiskey to bump up the flavor. Using a cheap bottle of Evan Williams Black and hoping it turns out Irish ;) If so, that's a $20 savings on the bottle (well, it's like a sale- it's saving on something I didn't need to buy in the first place. But hey, who doesn't love whiskey??)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2396 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Meal planning and grocery shopping- exciting stuff!!!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2397 on: February 07, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »
Went shopping for food. Picked up a 4lb Tur-duc-hun at $20 off ($6.99), and used $15 in catalinas to bring the weekly bill down to under $50 :). The Tur-duc-hen is a bucket list thing I've wanted to try for years and with that price it was worth a try.

kander

• Bristles
« Reply #2398 on: February 07, 2015, 11:23:23 AM »
Bought nothing to eat at the station. Instead brought lunch from home. Saved us 5 euros.

walked instead of taking the bus. Also saved us € 5!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2399 on: February 07, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
*  Another no spend day (and no driving)
*  Making meals for the week (bread, potato/corn chowder, tamales & chickpea curry - yum!)
*  trying making hot sauce for the first time! (potential long-term money saver since I go through quite a bit of it at $3-ish a bottle)