Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020747 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4900 on: November 20, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
In spite of a duck fire (Duckflagration 2015 or Duckferno: the Reconing; feel free to see my journal for the whole story) and a leaky sink, I did NOT go out to dinner.

Even though I really, really wanted to.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
  • More just cheap, than Mustachian
« Reply #4901 on: November 20, 2015, 07:28:12 PM »
Bought gas, filled the tank up. $1.98/gal, very cheap compared to the whole rest of this year, and tonight it is supposed to blow in a huge snowstorm, which always causes a price spike that lasts for weeks.
Picked what is probably the last of the broccoli. It had snow on it, and some lettuce. Hope this isn't the last, but this is later than a lot of years.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4902 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »
Tried a frozen veggie mix for my curry dish. Goes very well! So that will save me money and time/effort. Definite win.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4903 on: November 20, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
A big one (posted in a separate thread on this page), but I successfully negotiated 1 hour less in the office per day without taking a pay cut.  I'm thrilled.  Less of an evening rush with my young kids! Sanity!  It's a 3 month trial period but I'm obviously going to work my butt off to make sure it's seamless.

Nice! Well done!

* Heard back from supermarket that was missing a $1 digital coupon the other day. Got a $1 credit toward my next purchase to make up for it.
* Opted out of a concert for which the cost outweighed my interest.
* Skipped breakfast and lunch (not hungry) and scrounged up a light dinner made of leftover bits and pieces.
* Did not kill us with left-out pork the other night.
* Turned off the fan.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4904 on: November 21, 2015, 05:18:21 AM »
I think I forgot to mention that the other day my electricity company gave us about £200 back.:P

I'm making some homemade Christmas decorations today whilst watching a Christmas film on TV.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4905 on: November 21, 2015, 07:42:45 AM »
Bought the fixings for another big pot of soup. It will make several containers to freeze.

Took a phone call from a pizza delivery place that we used to order from. They must miss my business. They offered me a $5 credit on my next delivery. lol. Will probably use it when DS is home for Christmas holidays.

Bought four jars of spaghetti sauce that was on sale for $1.25.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4906 on: November 21, 2015, 09:17:58 AM »
Air dried kids' laundry.  One less $1.75 load.  Coin laundry sucks!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4907 on: November 21, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
Emailed ibotta about 2 rebates that aren't unlocking properly on their app. I admit being the squeaky wheel about multiple failed digital discounts this week feels a bit like I'm turning into my grandmother ("I want my nickel!"), but then I remember someone earlier in this thread (can't remember who) who pointed out all the other people that could benefit from -- or might even need -- such discounts that might not have the time or opportunity to follow up on them. I can spare the few minutes, so I like to think I'm not the only one who might benefit.

Thanks to whoever that was that said that!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4908 on: November 21, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »
Talked about going out to eat.  Decided on home made hash browns and eggs instead.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4909 on: November 21, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
Emailed ibotta about 2 rebates that aren't unlocking properly on their app. I admit being the squeaky wheel about multiple failed digital discounts this week feels a bit like I'm turning into my grandmother ("I want my nickel!"), but then I remember someone earlier in this thread (can't remember who) who pointed out all the other people that could benefit from -- or might even need -- such discounts that might not have the time or opportunity to follow up on them. I can spare the few minutes, so I like to think I'm not the only one who might benefit.

That would be my Husband Dearest. I will gladly pass on that I'm not the only one who had a paradigm shift from that!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4910 on: November 21, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »
 Looks like we're on track for both of us to stay up on the mountain all day today. Assuming we have enough dog food to get through the night, course. Kibble must be bought this weekend.

max924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4911 on: November 21, 2015, 12:44:15 PM »
Just fixed my wifes $300+ camera flash that had a battery terminal break off due to an exploded battery and corrosion. Canon told us $100 minimum charge for a repair so I ordered the $6 part, took the flash apart and soldered on the new terminal. Had an anxious moment of doubt afterwards until we realized we forgot to put the batteries back in when turning it back on! Nothing like the triumphant feeling of fixing something and saving good money in the process!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4912 on: November 21, 2015, 04:09:41 PM »

That would be my Husband Dearest. I will gladly pass on that I'm not the only one who had a paradigm shift from that!

Then thank you to him!

* Did a few hours of rush freelance work.
* Walked 3 1/2 miles round-trip to pick up a couple of small sale groceries, plus used $5 off coupon and $1 missed-credit credit. Submitted items online for another $3.25 in rebates. Especial win: 2 free bottles of shampoo/conditioner. Carried water along for the walk.
* Put back the massive carton of mushrooms we wouldn't be able to finish before it went bad.
* Supermarket shopping on Saturday also has an additional savings element: I want out of there as fast as possible!
* Thawing sale nectarines from last summer.
* Put on slippers and sweater instead of the heat.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4913 on: November 21, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
Getting a free full length mirror and a FREE sewing machine(!!!!) thanks to my local buy nothing group.

Making oatmeal banana cookies to give as a thank you. Bananas we bought and froze from the "ugly fruit" stand at our grocery store.

S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4914 on: November 21, 2015, 04:50:05 PM »
Fasting! I'm shooting for a 2 day fast every weekend or every other weekend (depending on health benefits). Since my employer provides free food, this reminds me that I'm a spoiled brat on weekdays and almost brings my cost-of-eating to zero. Two for one.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4915 on: November 21, 2015, 06:39:17 PM »
Fasting! I'm shooting for a 2 day fast every weekend or every other weekend (depending on health benefits). Since my employer provides free food, this reminds me that I'm a spoiled brat on weekdays and almost brings my cost-of-eating to zero. Two for one.
Perhaps this video shows the benefits of your fasting.  I found it interesting.  http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/   

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4916 on: November 21, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »
Mr. Tooth and I were going to go check out the new coffee shop that just opened. Owing to a combination of lazy and cheap, we didn't and I made a delightful little cake that cost maybe $2 instead.

Breakfast was pasta panegratto, entirely from the pantry. And it was delicious. Still 15 dozen eggs to use up, though.

I put away the laundry I hung before bed.

I planned my CVS couponing trips for the beginning and end of this week. Free training pants and granola bars, yay!

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4917 on: November 21, 2015, 07:10:49 PM »
15 dozen eggs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #4918 on: November 21, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
Braved the first snowfall of the year on my bike, went Krogering and planned to get just a couple things to finish in ibotta bonus but they had eggs at 1.29/doz so I got four dozen. Then I realized with my other items that pushed my cost to just over $10, which made me eligible for the 59¢/lb turkey, so I did an impulse turkey buy.

I pedaled over to kmart where they had foolishly given me a $12 coupon for women's clothes with no minimum, so I got a couple base layer shirts for biking for free (while hauling my turkey and eggs around their store, the downside of shopping while biking).

Returned home, cooked up 3 more specimens from the Mountain of Pumpkins, got the seeds spiced and roasted, and filled up the dehydrator and fridge with a new round of pumpkin mush.

Went online and spent the $10 coupon (again no minimum) that Sears sent me for clothes, which I can pick up at the same kmart around the corner in two days.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4919 on: November 21, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »
15 dozen eggs?

I had an offer for a grocery delivery service that was going to expire. Eggs keep a very, very long time and this was a relatively inexpensive way to get some and use up the end of the voucher, and they were delivered to my door. I got two flats of 7.5 dozen. They keep for months and we eat a lot or them, thankfully.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4920 on: November 21, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »
Where does one store 15 dozen eggs in a NYC apartment? Enquiring minds want to know.

S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4921 on: November 21, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
Perhaps this video shows the benefits of your fasting.  I found it interesting.  http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

Very cool - accidentally stumbling upon one strategy to live healthier! They even suggest the 5 to 2 method. This completely goes against MMM's max-calorie diet (http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/04/18/the-amazing-waist-slimming-wallet-fattening-nutrient/), but I'm fairly confident max-calorie is not optimal when your employer provides free food.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4922 on: November 21, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Carried a week's worth of firewood and had our official (with song) lighting of the first fire of the season. Home heat turned down to 60F most of the day.
Stayed home all day. Ate oatmeal for lunch. Dinner included potatoes/carrots/lettuce/broccoli from the garden. Dug a trench in the garden for the winter compost heap.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4923 on: November 22, 2015, 06:50:12 AM »
I tuned my bike up yesterday....apparently having someone else do it costs more than a little bit of money.  Self-sufficiency FTW.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4924 on: November 22, 2015, 09:14:38 AM »
Where does one store 15 dozen eggs in a NYC apartment? Enquiring minds want to know.

In my full size refrigerator along with the two gallons of milk, Costco sized bags of spinach and broccoli (2), numerous bricks of cheese, jars of pesto, fresh yeast, Soylent, jars of jam, sourdough starter and all the other things that go in the fridge? Both the apartments I've lived in here have had full size refrigerators and I added a chest freezer to my setup here a couple months ago. My apartment isn't that small; it's a thousand square foot two bedroom and not that much smaller than a lot of older single family ranches I've seen. I set the whole kitchen/dining room area up to support my cooking. I have a standalone baking station in a corner of the dining room and an IKEA hacked pantry my father assembled and installed for me. It's not done yet, but I've got a better setup for serious cooking than a lot of people with real houses.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4925 on: November 22, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
Yesterday - started a wood fire for the first time this year and keep the heater from running until early this morning.
Returned an inflatable collar designed to keep my dog from chewing on himself that did. not. work.
Used a $10 off coupon at the feed store, 10% off at the grocery co-op, and my quarterly rewards coupon at Fred Meyer.  Stocked up on free range chickens that were on sale at another store and also took advantage of their 20% off wine sale (went fancy and got three bottles for the holidays along with the standby box o' wine).

Today - making a huge batch of beef stock from the big bag of bones that came with our beef quarter.  I'll render plenty of tallow off of them too.  Planning to make a soup of some kind for dinner to use up random bits from the fridge.

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #4926 on: November 22, 2015, 06:28:58 PM »
Some wins for the weekend:
  • Didn't eat out/drink out at all.  Huge win for me.
  • $12/$12 clothing purchase from KMart/Sears - why, yes, thank you --- I would like free sweat pants and sports bras.  (I almost feel bad for the haul of free stuff I've gotten from KMart/Sears this year from random ShopYourWay rebates)
  • Grocery Shopping - Spent $18.38 and got $5.75 back in rebates from Checkout51, SavingStar, Ibotta, MobiSave - the haul included: 6 lbs of navel oranges, 2 lbs carrots, 1.25 lbs sweet potato, 1 lb bacon, frozen teriyaki broccoli, garlic salt grinder, Wheat Thins, 1 litre of flavored seltzer water, and 1 lb peanuts
  • Stopped by CVS today for some pre-Black Friday shopping --- got the following free after ECB and rebates - two cans of corn, pack of gum, Cranberry drink (mmmm...mixer for my vodka), and BelVita Breakfast Bars (to store in my desk for forgotten breakfast/lunch crises)
  • Watched college football, NFL football, and NHL hockey from home a combination of cable TV (which my roommates insist on so I might as well take advantage) and online streams...avoided going to the bar to watch any of the games!
  • Read and returned three library books, picked up six more....so much to read, so little time
  • Made homemade pancakes for the first time ever --- they were a bit thicker than I'd like, so I'll need to adjust recipe next time.  Ended up getting one breakfast, plus three frozen pancakes out of the deal.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:31:09 PM by eliza »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4927 on: November 22, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
Stayed out of stores/no spend day today . . . which makes, I think, a full week of no spend days.  The big, stock up shop a couple weeks ago has helped.  I want a few things I am out of, but not enough to bother with the store during the "holiday season."

Laziness has been my most favorite tool so far in this money-saving adventure :)

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4928 on: November 23, 2015, 07:14:06 AM »
- Talked DH out of buying a treat from the local bakery when we went for a walk to see the town Christmas tree on Friday night.

- Browsing etsy for Christmas ornaments (we buy a personalized one for our kids every year to reflect their current interests - my parents did the same for us and it makes for a nice collection when you leave home!) and I remembered that we had bought a cute one at LEGOLAND last year, so that will be DS's for 2015.  It's not dated or personalized with his name like his other ornaments, but that's nothing a sharpie can't fix ;)

- Cashed in my grocery store rewards points (PC Plus) for $20 off groceries.  Whole chickens were on sale ($6 each - that's a good deal in Canada) so I bought two and roasted them at home right away.  Tons of cooked meat now ready in the freezer for quick meals.

- Planning a date night with DH next weekend and remembered a $100 gift card to our favourite sushi restaurant that I got for my birthday! Can't believe I forgot about it! Looking forward to our sushi and movie date (also with a gift card) on Saturday.  Plus free babysitting from the grandparents :)

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4929 on: November 23, 2015, 08:22:09 AM »
I’m sure this is super basic to most people, but it’s new for us.  Our electrical bill usually jumps from $100 -$150 per month up to $200-$275 per month during winter.  Had our first really cold night last night (29 is about as low as it gets in southern Louisiana).

So this winter we tried something different:  We used about one week’s worth of electricity bill money to purchase two sets of long-sleeved, long-pants pajamas for each person in the house.  Then turned the heat setting from 73 down to 60.  It kicked on for the first time in the wee hours last night, for about 5 minutes.  It was 29 outside, 60 inside.  When we’re chilly in the evenings, we are now adding socks and layers rather than running to turn the heat on.  In previous mild winters, before reading MMM, I would have worn shorts and short-sleeves all year inside, and gone barefoot, and would have just adjusted the thermostat to match my wardrobe. 

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4930 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »
So this winter we tried something different:  We used about one week’s worth of electricity bill money to purchase two sets of long-sleeved, long-pants pajamas for each person in the house.  Then turned the heat setting from 73 down to 60.  It kicked on for the first time in the wee hours last night, for about 5 minutes.  It was 29 outside, 60 inside.  When we’re chilly in the evenings, we are now adding socks and layers rather than running to turn the heat on.  In previous mild winters, before reading MMM, I would have worn shorts and short-sleeves all year inside, and gone barefoot, and would have just adjusted the thermostat to match my wardrobe.

That's a big change. Good for you!

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #4931 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:19 AM »
I’m sure this is super basic to most people, but it’s new for us.  Our electrical bill usually jumps from $100 -$150 per month up to $200-$275 per month during winter.  Had our first really cold night last night (29 is about as low as it gets in southern Louisiana).

Congratulations!  That change of mindset will pay off huge dividends!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4932 on: November 23, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

That's a big change. Good for you!

Super big change!

Pro tip from Quebec: we tend to get colder when we're not moving. Ensuring a decent supply of blankets/throws near couches can be helpful to stop people from raising the heat unnecessarily.

Today, I did NOT save money. I donated a decent chunk to the Red Cross, because my partner and I feel it's the right thing to do in the current circumstances. We will 'save' some money on our taxes by doing this, but not as much as the donation... however, I would like to express thanks for the Mustachain lifestyle for allowing us to donate to things we feel are important without having a huge impact on our day-to-day lives. It matters.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4933 on: November 23, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »

Around here, northern Illinois, that isn't anything unusual, it's all what you are adapted to. For LA 60F is a big deal. Good job!

GoConfidently

• Stubble
« Reply #4934 on: November 23, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Not exactly small, but after getting an $800 quote from a contractor to repair a ceiling problem, I enlisted the help of a friend with a truck. $100 spent at Home Depot, a home cooked meal to thank friend for the help, and a lot of climbing a ladder was all it cost me to fix it myself. Now I just have to figure out how to match texture.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4935 on: November 23, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
Not exactly small, but after getting an $800 quote from a contractor to repair a ceiling problem, I enlisted the help of a friend with a truck. $100 spent at Home Depot, a home cooked meal to thank friend for the help, and a lot of climbing a ladder was all it cost me to fix it myself. Now I just have to figure out how to match texture.

NICE work!  Depending on the space in question, I've found that sanded paint is an easy solution to blending texture.  I think Lowe's has it - I used it in a bathroom after knocking down popcorn.  It would be a pain if you're dealing with a small patch in a big ceiling, but thought I'd mention it.

life is short

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4936 on: November 23, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
Found out I was being charged $6/month in our checking account after paying off some debt and going below the minimum balance for that type of account. Changed the account and requested a refund with the threat of taking my money somewhere else. Should have caught it sooner, but it's a rarely used account for emergency funds.

Tom Bri

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4937 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Hit CVS with a handful of coupons on their big cash rewards day. Got a whole bunch of useful little things with 100% rewards back. Many of these are items I would not normally buy, but are convenient to have on hand, like baby wipes. Of course you have to spend the rewards at CVS, but i bought milk and a few necessary odds and ends with them.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4938 on: November 23, 2015, 07:37:57 PM »
* Spotted some purslane growing in a bed of rosebushes in a parking lot. Snagged it for a smoothie. (The gardeners will call it a weed and whack it out. I call it food.)

* Deposited a check for the princely sum of $0.05. (Some amount of unclaimed funds found and sent out to me.)

* Received notice that I was part of the class in a lawsuit settled by Burlington Coat Factory. Submitted the claim form and might get $10 out of it in 2016.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4939 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:50 PM »
Sold an item through Facebook for the price I had it listed for on eBay with free shipping.  Got cash and avoided the PayPal, eBay and shipping fees.

Instead of going home to let the dogs out, stayed at work until early afternoon and then took work home to finish out the day, saving a round trip drive.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #4940 on: November 23, 2015, 10:38:45 PM »
Our dishwasher seemed to be broken (did not get any water). Instead of calling service, I fixed it myself using only basic tools, very little skill and the internet. Turned out that the problem was a pretty common, easily fixed one. Or, ar least, let's hope so and that it will not break again soon.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 11:18:50 AM by WerKater »

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4941 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
I downloaded a bunch of audiobooks from the library for vacation instead of buying them. :)

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4942 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
Had Christmas gift saved in Amazon cart . . . just waiting till the end of the week to purchase it.  Kept noticing that the price was dropping a few cents every once in awhile.  I watched it for a few days and then finally bought it today - saving $1.12.

Knitwit

• Stubble
« Reply #4943 on: November 24, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
Woke up the other morning to discover our furnace wasn't working (house was about 10C when we woke up). Called a service guy out, paid him $125 to diagnose the problem - a broken circuit board. Quote: $600 to repair. Ouch! Did a little research and found the part for sale at a local supply shop for $125. Hubby installed it himself for a savings of $350! Would've been less if we didn't have to pay for the service call to diagnose the problem!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4944 on: November 24, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Visited my local used book store for $0.25 Tuesday.  Nearly ruptured something hauling my finds home on the bus in my backpack. 

llorona

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4945 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:11 PM »
Stepped on my backup glasses and broke the frame. Urk! Thankfully, ZenniOptical sells frames without lenses. The total for replacement frames came out to $12.93 with shipping, paid for by my HSA. Went through eBates which will provide 4% cash back (51 cents).

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4946 on: November 25, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
We decided to get our kids the Bexsero vaccine (a different Menegitis strain from the one that is included in the standard free Quebec vaccination plan) last year.  Each kid needed 2 doses at $125 a pop.  We paid for the first doses out of pocket, knowing that our private insurance would not reimburse us.  When DH started job hunting, I purposely delayed their second dose by a few months (not to any detriment to the vaccine) just in case our new insurance plan would cover it.  Yesterday I found out that they do! Ca-ching - $250 back in my pocket.

Did some freezer digging and had some cabbage roll soup from a questionable amount of months ago for lunch, and making some slightly freezer-burned chicken breasts for supper tonight.

AgentCooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4947 on: November 25, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
Saved 17% ordering one of my kid's gifts from Amazon instead of getting it in person at Wal-Mart.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4948 on: November 25, 2015, 05:12:09 PM »
Getting a free full length mirror and a FREE sewing machine(!!!!) thanks to my local buy nothing group.

NICE!

Great job!

* Borrowed movies from the library.
* Sold a book for $8.
* Have been cutting back on portion sizes a bit lately. Putting back a few slices of salami here, a few spoons of yogurt there has been extending the groceries some (and hopefully helping us as well).
* Had to drop our car off for servicing (beyond my DIY skills). We already walk most of the time, so no big deal generally, but not having a car for Thanksgiving means family has to come to us. Saving the cost of a hotel room and (bonus) buying us a few extra hours of alone time.
* Received the last of my outstanding missing rebates ($1). Waiting for rebate back for a free Kit Kat (bought yesterday on walk home from mechanic) that I'll throw onto the holiday dessert tray somehow as garnish.
* Scrounging up bits of leftovers for dinner.

ArcadeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4949 on: November 26, 2015, 03:40:28 AM »
Sold one of my arcade machines on craigslist for $775 last week, which more than offsets the new tires my wife's car needed. Applied for rebate on tires. Steadily making eBay sales of  household junk, DVDs, etc. Been pretty good about bringing food to work this week. And cut open a toothpaste tube for the first time ever and probably will get another 7-8 brushings out of it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:08:42 AM by ArcadeStache »