Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020867 times)

tomita

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #6450 on: June 26, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
Today was another travel day for me.  Filled my water bottle after going through airport security, and also discovered that one of the coffee shops near the gate only charges $1 for a coffee refill if you bring your own mug.  Brought homegrown raspberries and a Quest bar instead of eating lunch, and felt smug sitting next to someone with a big iced coffee, bottled water and sandwich from the airport Starbuck's, which probably put her out $15 total vs. my $3 for the Quest bar and the coffee.

I like that you can bring your mug and get the 1$ coffee refill;
I will keep it in mind for our next travel

Today we gleaned mulberries, bought a used bike in great shape, made soup in the crockpot, sold 2 pairs of athletic shoes

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6451 on: June 26, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
Thought to ask for the washer and dryer in our home offer, which was accepted. Now we can sell our current washer and dryer before the move- it'll be an upgrade, and save on the difficulty of moving them.

Grabbed drinks with friends, but both DH and I picked something on tap (much cheaper than their cocktails) and closed after 1 apiece. Our bill was $12 with tip- our friends were probably about $32. Just an interesting moment to realize that, two years ago, that would have been us as well. Had just as much enjoyment from our one drink though.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6452 on: June 27, 2016, 02:03:06 PM »
- watched some youtube videos and learned how to fix a stair baluster
- cancelled a museum trip that would have cost $130

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6453 on: June 27, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Sometimes things all come together. Drove to a town close by that had a dollar store. The one I used to go to, which was right across from the discount grocery store - oh so convenient - closed. So I am unfamiliar with the area and it turns out it's all metered parking anywhere near the dollar store. So I had to walk about 3/4 of a mile but I was going to walk for exercise anyway today. Plus it's an area where students and eccentrics tend to live so the people watching was fun.

I get to Family Dollar and what is right across the street, but Goodwill, and they are having a sale, all adult clothing for $1. I don't come across Goodwill very often so maybe this is normal. Anyway, I need a pair of jeans b/c the current ones are falling apart, past patching. I found a pair of longs, which are very hard to come by. I couldn't try them on without taking off my shorts but I figured for $1 risk I'd take them. Got them home and they fit!!

On the off chance someone from MA reads this, it's the Goodwill on Elm St. in Somerville, Davis Square.

Got $7 worth of hand soap and hair conditioner at Family Dollar and lugged it all back to the car. That is absolutely the way to shop at the dollar store - keeping in mind that you have to carry whatever you buy a long distance. I stuck to my list.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6454 on: June 27, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »
On the off chance someone from MA reads this, it's the Goodwill on Elm St. in Somerville, Davis Square.

Got $7 worth of hand soap and hair conditioner at Family Dollar and lugged it all back to the car. That is absolutely the way to shop at the dollar store - keeping in mind that you have to carry whatever you buy a long distance. I stuck to my list.

Where I used to live (on the other Elm Street, in Cambridge, coincidentally!) the Family Dollar was the closest store of any kind to my apartment. It was so great for all kinds of heavy/bulky stuff at cheap prices: laundry detergent, gallons of water, all kinds of cleaning supplies, toiletries, toilet paper, etc.

I didn't realize how much I'd miss it when I moved... no one lists "Family Dollar around the corner" as an amenity when listing apartments :-)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6455 on: June 28, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Picked 5lb of wild raspberries (weighed them) today. Will be making freezer jam tonight.
I've been out picking the wild raspberries all week, I just love them so much!  Pie, jam, cordial, mead, mmmmmmm!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6456 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »
Discount train fare last night and again this morning by travelling off-peak.

I ordered a new down jacket last week (half price). Received an email yesterday to say it was in stock. Received an email this morning to say the store has further discounted that line.

Currently pondering: am I obnoxious enough to pick up the jacket, return it for a refund then buy it again, just to save $30?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:54:57 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

nico demouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6457 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:56 AM »
Yesterday was a no spend day.

Spent the evening at rehearsal for the community orchestra I'm in. It's free to be a member, sometimes I get comp tickets for family/friends, and I'm learning lots of great music. Our last concert was at a garden/museum, so I also got to poke around the grounds and museum for free before the concert. This is also a much better group than I've played with recently, and I can already hear my own playing improving.

On my fourth day of scraping toothpaste out of a cut up tube to get the last bits.

Breakfast included raspberries from our huge patch (grown up from a few canes I got on Freecycle years ago).

Today I'm picking up a box of Cooks Illustrated from Freecyle, so I can feed my cooking magazine habit for free. :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6458 on: June 29, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
I used points to book flights for a weekend away which will include a visit to the family accountant to prepare our tax returns.

Accommodation, transport and some meals will be free, so it should be a cost-effective trip.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6459 on: June 29, 2016, 07:55:29 AM »
Our car's head gasket blew. The dealership quoted $1800 to fix it. Husband researched and found that our car has a head gasket problem and they often blow earlier than expected. He went back to the dealership with this info and haggled them from $1800 down to $900 on the grounds that this should not have happened this soon.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6460 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
Cooked breakfast at home using what we had instead of going grocery shopping
Continue to eat free fruit gifted by the neighbors (left for vacation)
Brewing tea at home and at work to cut back on Starbucks stops
Cut open an old hand cream container and used the remnants after my shower. 

Meikenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6461 on: June 29, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
My dad has a little garden and the little tomatoes are just coming in. While visiting this weekend we picked a huge tupperware basket full. We typically spend $6/week on these tomatoes. Hopefully this will last us 2 weeks. (Saved $12)
Before buying an air compressor accessory at a local hardware store, I googled for a coupon while in line and saved 20%! (Saved $4)
My daughter needs new noslip socks and my wife found 5 pair online for $13. I challenged her to look for a better price and she found a 4-pack for $4! (Saved $9)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:39:27 AM by Meikenstache »

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6462 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
I'm halfway through my YNAB free trial and love it.

I needed to take my care for scheduled maintenance, and the dealership offers the annual state inspection for free. It wasn't due until next month, but I saved $9 by getting it done a few weeks early.

Little man ran out of diapers. We've been going through disposables a lot faster than normal lately since the rubber pants for cloth seem to give him heat rash. 2 jumbo boxes of the Target brand, 10% off with the app, and a $10 gift card for next time for buying two boxes.

I've been getting a little bit creative to make it to payday without buying groceries and use up some of what we have on hand. We made cake mix cookies last night (1 box cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, two eggs, bake 12-14 minutes at 350* F). Lunch was a new recipe for black bean and lentil salad that a friend shared on Pinterest last week.

Luckyvik

• Stubble
« Reply #6463 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:11 PM »
I've bought nothing at work the past two days, I've been bringing my lunch and using the new coffee machine at work instead of buying coffee. If I keep this up I should be able to save $25-$40 a week on coffee alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6464 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
My blog crossed the threshold to receive a payment from Amazon for advertising fees. $11.47, baby!

Made batch of pesto with free kale from elementary school garden.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6465 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »
First words I heard from DH this morning were "Did you see the flood? There's water everywhere!" I immediately thought, "Oh god, do we have some kind of cursed sprinkler system?" I thought I had FINALLY capped off two fussy sprinklers that regularly broke and sprayed water for hours--and I did! The flood in question is a broken water main down the street. We are in a severe drought here, so after getting the kids off to school I grabbed a bucket and hauled many gallons of water out of the street to our frontyard fruit trees. Met a new neighbor to boot!

Also:
* Harvested two tiny chilis and the whole garlic crop and found a couple more potatoes while I was at it.
* Breakfast was eggs laid by our backyard chickens, and from my mom's trees, an avocado smashed up with Maldon sea salt.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6466 on: June 30, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
I needed a backpack for my kindergartner.
Instead of buying one, I asked if he wanted to re-use my 20 year-old Jansport from college.
He's so proud to use my old backpack.
It brightened my day :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6467 on: June 30, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
Went the entire month of June without buying any food  or drink at work. 100% imported from home.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6468 on: June 30, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
My blog crossed the threshold to receive a payment from Amazon for advertising fees. $11.47, baby!
Congrats!

Instead of buying one, I asked if he wanted to re-use my 20 year-old Jansport from college.
He's so proud to use my old backpack.
That's so cute!

Nothing ground-breaking for me today.  Same routine--pack lunch, snacks, and breakfast.  Make tea at work. 
Last night I did make a chocolate, peanut better granola bar-ish thing for on the go snacking.  Bars are so expensive, so I'm experimenting making my own.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6469 on: June 30, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
There are a lot of little free libraries in my neighbourhood.  I pass a couple on my walking route.
Today I found an interesting book that I took with me to read.
I'm almost finished another book so I'll bring it there and put it in the library tomorrow.

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6470 on: June 30, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »
Last night, I saved money by being too damn lazy to leave the house. I had delicious cheese spread but no crackers to put it on so I looked through my recipe book and found a very simple recipe for 'water crackers'. Thirty minutes later - done!

1 cup of flour, 30g of butter. Rub butter into flour. Add water bit by bit until it forms a stiff dough. Roll out to 1cm thick, then take small bits and roll them out into very thin rounds. Bake in hot oven (over 200 degrees Celsius) for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.

Next time, I'm going to add cumin for yummy herbed crackers.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6471 on: June 30, 2016, 06:46:49 PM »
by saving a mason jar of leftover paint three years ago, I saved the expense of repainting a room.  We changed out some furniture and there was a huge scrape on the wall.  If we had not kept the touch up paint, we would have had to repaint the whole room.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6472 on: June 30, 2016, 08:21:36 PM »
The local grocery store was doing subsidized compost bins for earth day, and we picked ours up today. 30$ (cheaper by far than we could buy or make elsewhere) and t means that we can use our own scraps in the garden instead of sending them to the town compost. Win!

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #6473 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
So this is a little money saving that I sowed and am now reaping. During the caucus this spring in my state, I met a dude who has a lot of fruit trees, vines, etc, but does not eat all of them himself. I gave him my number and today he called me out to get some plums. I left with probably 1.5 gallons of plums, .5 gal of marrion berries,  some frozen plums and tomatoes from last year, some chard and some arugula. We eat a lot of fruit so this is a huge boon, and I expect it will continue over the summer- he's a really great retired guy who likes gardening a lot. It's all organic and not at all buggy, and it's just so tasty. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6474 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
Last night, I saved money by being too damn lazy to leave the house. I had delicious cheese spread but no crackers to put it on so I looked through my recipe book and found a very simple recipe for 'water crackers'. Thirty minutes later - done!

1 cup of flour, 30g of butter. Rub butter into flour. Add water bit by bit until it forms a stiff dough. Roll out to 1cm thick, then take small bits and roll them out into very thin rounds. Bake in hot oven (over 200 degrees Celsius) for approx. 10 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.

Yes! Someone else appreciates that you can be too lazy to leave the house (really, I have to get dressed and talk to people?) but totally content to cook.

Homemade herbed water crackers sound amazing. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6475 on: July 01, 2016, 04:40:35 AM »

Yes! Someone else appreciates that you can be too lazy to leave the house (really, I have to get dressed and talk to people?) but totally content to cook.

Yes, this! I used to live a block from the grocery store and even then, between baking bread or walking there to get it, baking usually won. What, you want me to put on PANTS? On a WEEKEND??

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6476 on: July 01, 2016, 08:31:32 AM »
Allllmost caved and got Starbucks on the way to work, but didn't. Then alllllmost caved and got a smoothie at the place down the block. Also didn't. It was the calories that swayed me, not the money aspect, but savings is savings.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6477 on: July 01, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »

+1

I recently got a tortilla press, and my dad mentioned that he uses his to make crackers.  So I will totally be making fancy nut-based crackers on a regular basis now.  $4-5 for a box of crackers always seems like a ripoff.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6478 on: July 01, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
Had dinner with a visiting relative last night. She paid as an early birthday gift for us. Then gave us an actual gift.

A mate is staying this weekend and suggested we see a movie, so I cashed in some loyalty points for tickets.

KiwiSonya

• Bristles
« Reply #6479 on: July 02, 2016, 02:07:17 AM »
Hubby was using our only car to attend a band rehearsal all day Saturday. My boys (4 & 6) were invited to  birthday party at a school pool 3km ( and a huge hill away). In the past I have used a taxi thinking it's cheaper than a second car. But it was a beautiful winters day so we scootered there. It took us an hour to get there but felt like an awesome adventure. My boys were thrilled to find a dollar, a perfectly good lemon and some nails we could use for a project on the way. And that was even before the party started!

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #6480 on: July 02, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
Update: Made the cumin crackers. They're amazing and everyone should make some.

In unrelated news, don't ever use steel wool to clean a wooden rolling pin - mine has never been the same since.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6481 on: July 02, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
My boys were thrilled to find a dollar, a perfectly good lemon and some nails we could use for a project on the way. And that was even before the party started!

Love it when walks turn into a profitable adventure!

I've been looking for a used push mower as part of our ongoing effort to intentionally unplug our household as much as possible. Went to an estate sale today and found a nice one in good condition. Got it for the price I'd wanted, along with a game and two vintage record albums for the kids, plus a stack of cloth napkins for our collection of reusable cloth linens.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6482 on: July 02, 2016, 02:40:56 PM »
-Bed frame
I got a fantastic bed frame for free through Buy Nothing Project. Beautiful white metal, in great condition. The lady was delighted to see it go- she doesn't have a car, and it had been sitting inside by her door for a couple months. Win win for both of us!

-Grocery Coupon
Realized the back of a business card I had gotten from a grocery store manager was a $3 off coupon (not applicable to booze or dairy though, haha). Still need to use this, but I'll get to it next week.

-Credit
Followed up with our beef co-op. Our bag was 2lbs short last month, so they gave us a credit for this month. I followed up to make sure they don't forget to apply the credit.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6483 on: July 02, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
 Went to the thrift store in search of cooler clothing – it's been 100° or better every day for I don't remember how many days now, and I'm dying. So, my favorite cheap thrift store was having a half-price sale for the 4th. I ended up with basically a new summer wardrobe for $3.50. Two pairs of pants and five shirts.

freedom8991

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6484 on: July 02, 2016, 06:51:14 PM »
Trying to be as frugal as possible with food. Scrambled some eggs and cheese and put them in tortillas with some left over chili beans. Yummy!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6485 on: July 02, 2016, 09:57:08 PM »
Trying to be as frugal as possible with food. Scrambled some eggs and cheese and put them in tortillas with some left over chili beans. Yummy!
Yum!

I made a quick breakfast (eggs, toast, and sauteed spinach) before our morning hike.
Stayed at home watching the Olympic Trials (track & field) this afternoon. 
Relaxed weekend at home

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6486 on: July 03, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
Indulging our favorite frugal hobby today- hiking! Followed by a BBQ at a friend so close we can walk over. No spendy fireworks needed.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6487 on: July 03, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Last night: Did not buy Stadium of Fire tickets.  Rode my bike up to the stadium around 9.  Brought a huge homemade frappucino (milk, ice, and torani syrup).  Found a place to sit where I could hear Tim McGraw, and see most of the stage through one of the stadium corner entryways.  Watched fireworks.  Had a better seat than anybody in the bleachers for most of them, since they shoot them from outside the stadium.  And still had a really good view of the ones they shot from the stage.  Hopped on my bike and rode home once it was over.  Was home in 8 minutes, as opposed to more than an hour if I had driven and gotten stuck in the traffic.

Tomorrow: Running the 10k before the parade. Free entry through work.  I might even watch the parade afterwards.  Free entertainment. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6488 on: July 03, 2016, 04:41:00 PM »
We had a friend stay all weekend. We were out and about doing things (voting, using up free movie tickets, etc), but didn't eat out. We managed to plan all activities around being home to cook and eat, and even used up a few freezer ingredients in the process.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6489 on: July 04, 2016, 04:40:47 AM »
Two more from me.

A couple of weeks ago I taught my mum how to sell on eBay. I've been getting eBay notifications all evening as her items sell. It will bring her $500+ if everything goes, so she's stoked.

Got a cheque in the mail from my insurance company. I posted here earlier about changing my contents policy and also switching from a monthly to annual payment. They refunded me the last monthly payment I made. Unexpected but welcome.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6490 on: July 04, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »
Went to see my parents Saturday night and they decided to cook out steaks on the grill. My mom bought too much meat and my dad was grumbling about having too much left over because he doesn't like steak that much, let alone leftover steak. Solution: me! I ended up with about $20 worth of perfectly grilled NY strip steak to take home. I never, ever eat steak because it's so expensive here, so it's not only money savings but a rare, luxurious treat.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6491 on: July 04, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
I found a receipt I needed for a $4 mail-in rebate.  I thought I'd thrown it away yesterday, and was rummaging through the trash to no avail.  Somehow, it was crumpled up in my half-unpacked suitcase.

Started seeds for more broccoli, cabbage, onions, beets, carrots, Thai basil, green beans, okra and shallots.  I'm usually way too late trying to start fall crops, so I'm excited to be somewhat ahead of the curve this year.

Sorted through my cured potatoes to make sure there weren't any rotten ones before putting them in boxes in the re-purposed wine cooler.

Going out to wash my car in a minute, then working out in the basement instead of driving to the gym. 

Eating dinner at home (smoked chicken, salad and corn on the cob) and enjoying the neighbors' fireworks instead of buying our own.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6492 on: July 04, 2016, 07:51:06 PM »
Oatmeal for breakfast. Not my favorite meal, but I'm eating what is in the house for a bit, and this will help the eggs and canola oil last. It's a texture thing (I like the taste), and I seemed to get the texture so it turned out better than usual.

I'm out of fresh  ground coffee. There is some very old ground coffee in the back of the pantry. I made it and added some powdered skim milk. It didn't have much taste (or caffeine!), but it was a much better hot drink than the instant coffee that was the alternative.

The other meals I'm having are great. I just didn't plan the details around breakfast.

Installed the Windows 10 upgrade, while it is still free. I'm OK with it so far. There are a couple of things that I really like and I recovered from the panic of my audio disappearing. (The default setting was for headphones rather than the speakers in my laptop.)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6493 on: July 04, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »
I had some cabbage sitting in the fridge and used it as the base for homemade egg rolls. I added green onions, carrot, celery, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and chopped raw shrimp. I steamed it all till the shrimp turned pink, put it onto egg roll wrappers and fried. The result was delicious.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6494 on: July 05, 2016, 01:30:34 AM »
I had some cabbage sitting in the fridge and used it as the base for homemade egg rolls. I added green onions, carrot, celery, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and chopped raw shrimp. I steamed it all till the shrimp turned pink, put it onto egg roll wrappers and fried. The result was delicious.

That sounds amazing. And out of 'found' ingredients.

I was pretty pleased with myself for using up spinach in an omelette, but you've set a new bar there, pbk!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6495 on: July 05, 2016, 06:26:04 AM »

That sounds amazing. And out of 'found' ingredients.

I was pretty pleased with myself for using up spinach in an omelette, but you've set a new bar there, pbk!

I was impressed with the egg rolls too. They sounded delicious. The only one of the found ingredients I have are the carrots, though I could substitute a yellow onion for the spring onions!

I'd be really pleased with using up the spinach, though. Plenty of spinach has been wasted in my house by not getting around to doing that. Also yummy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6496 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:27 AM »
I dug out the receipt for my suddenly stopped working string trimmer (it is still in warranty, just) and dropped it off in Ottawa at a depot.  Who knows when I will get it back, but that errand is done in time. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6497 on: July 05, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
Shopping around for title insurance for the home we're buying. It was *so* tempting to just go with the bid sent over by the escrow company out of sheer laziness and overwhelm. But I shop around for car insurance, I should dang well shop around for this as well. Sigh. Time to dig in to things that are totally new to me, once again!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6498 on: July 05, 2016, 10:08:51 AM »
Hubs got a job where he needs to keep a tidy facial hair situation at all times. So we invested in a fancy safety razor. Big up front price, but should save us a TON in blades. I haven't decided which is more of a racket: Gillette razor blades or printer ink cartridges.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6499 on: July 05, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
Hubs got a job where he needs to keep a tidy facial hair situation at all times. So we invested in a fancy safety razor. Big up front price, but should save us a TON in blades. I haven't decided which is more of a racket: Gillette razor blades or printer ink cartridges.

I started using a safety razor last summer and I can't believe they ever went out of style. Love 'em. I'm sure you know this, but just in case: Time permitting, remove the blade and dry it and store separately. It extends the life of the blades even longer.