Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3558196 times)

midweststache

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5350 on: January 09, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
Switched my AmazonPrime account to an AmazonStudent account. Pushed back the renewal date (March to June), halved the renewal cost ($99 to $49) and received a $16 reimbursement from Amazon for the difference (the next two months through which my full-price Prime account would've taken me). Easy peasy.

reginna

• Stubble
« Reply #5351 on: January 09, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Saved $198 (compared with Aus prices) by putting in an Amazon order to be sent to my husband's hotel while he's in the US for work next week.

Brilliant!

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #5352 on: January 09, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »
Earlier this week: bumped up DH's contribution to his 401(k) by 2%.  Made that happen by getting more serious about our food budget and setting strict $$ limits on going out to eat each month.

Today:

A friend with kids the same age (pre-teen) has organized a group of families to go on backpacking camping trips together.  This works out very well, since we have no experience and he is a seasoned pro.  He spent one evening going over all the gear needed (which we currently have very little of) and the group has been emailing when they find good deals.  This will be kind of pricey to start as a hobby, but we like car camping and hiking, so I am hopeful this can turn into a life long hobby.  Part of RE is I would like to spend time backpacking in National Parks.

So, today at the thrift store I went into a section of the store that I didn't need to go into - and it had a 7lb, 2/3 man backpacking tent for $10!!  The cheapest I have seen them used on CL is about $60.   New ones are at least $140ish.  I was very happy that I make it a rule to go into every section of a thrift store knowing an unexpected deal could be lurking.  I set the tent up and it was in fantastic condition.  I also saw the wicking types of shirts in the women's exercise clothes section and will be going back for those.

Also at the thrift store, I scored some shoes for my son (men size 11) for $7.  He is changing shoe sizes about every 3 months, so shoes are becoming a big expense.

Dinner tonight will be tacos with leftover beans from rice and beans earlier this week, and chicken from the last time I roasted and chicken and picked off the little bits and froze them.  I also typically use the fat and skin from those and cut it up and give it to the cats.

I also dug carrots and beets out of the garden to be used this week.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5353 on: January 09, 2016, 02:31:37 PM »
Yesterday:

- walked to the library to pick up books
- walked to the post office to collect a parcel - a friend just got a food dehydrator so she sent me a bunch of sachets of homemade granola, jerky, etc, that she has been experimenting with
- set up travel packs for my husband's phone (he gets unlimited texts, unlimited calls and 50mb data per day while overseas. Previously this was $10/day, but I renegotiated his phone plan late last year, and he now gets 10 free travel packs per month.)

thingamabobs

• Stubble
« Reply #5354 on: January 09, 2016, 03:16:56 PM »
checked out the clearance cart at the supermarket, they had the Starbucks instant peppermint mochas on clearance (3.49 each) and I remembered that I had a coupon for $2.25 off for buying 2. So I got 8 fancy pants drinks for $4.73!! They are good to keep in my bag for when I need a caffeine fix at work! If I can find more coupons, I"m going back for the rest of them.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5355 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
I just had myself a BND and only ate stuff from the fridge.  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5356 on: January 09, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »
Took DS1 on an errand and a mommy-son lunch date by walking and bus. Good exercise, good kid bonding, lower carbon footprint.

Dinner is a dish I call "MFK Fisher's Leftover Casserole" using homegrown (fresh thyme), homemade (bread crumbs, chicken stock), pantry ingredients (whole wheat pasta, canned diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese) and leftovers (dry-ish roast chicken, onion soup packet a friend left here at Halloween). Came out delicious. Now working on a pot of 10-bean soup in broth made half from homemade chicken stock, a quarter from pasta water and a quarter from canned tomato water, as inspired by Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Meal.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5357 on: January 09, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
Came home and made the kids sandwiches even though hubby wanted to take them to Mcd for a quick burger and fries after free skating today.

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5358 on: January 09, 2016, 11:43:15 PM »
I didn't spend any money today

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #5359 on: January 10, 2016, 01:30:58 AM »
Furnace wouldn't work this evening and it was -10C outside and falling. After trying the obvious thing to fix the problem (clean the flame sensor) it still didn't work. I called the emergency company to come out, but he said it was a $200 fee to come out during non business hours. I almost said 'fine', but instead I asked what had changed from last time we called and it was a free service and I only had to pay for parts. He said oh that's the other company, I can give you their number if you like. Called the other company, tech came out within an hour (at 11:30pm), fixed the problem, no parts required, no cost to me. AND I learned a new trick to check next time the furnace stops working. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5360 on: January 10, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
Furnace wouldn't work this evening and it was -10C outside and falling. After trying the obvious thing to fix the problem (clean the flame sensor) it still didn't work. I called the emergency company to come out, but he said it was a $200 fee to come out during non business hours. I almost said 'fine', but instead I asked what had changed from last time we called and it was a free service and I only had to pay for parts. He said oh that's the other company, I can give you their number if you like. Called the other company, tech came out within an hour (at 11:30pm), fixed the problem, no parts required, no cost to me. AND I learned a new trick to check next time the furnace stops working. :)

That's actually pretty cool of the first company to tell you who it was/number! Glad it all worked out alright.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5361 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:23 AM »

That's actually pretty cool of the first company to tell you who it was/number! Glad it all worked out alright.
Awesome!

This morning I decided to make a fancy brunch for myself instead of going out.  I made chocolate banana pancakes with whipped cream.  I had all of the items in my kitchen from various other baking activities.  I was able to use up a few things, and not be tempted by a decadent brunch. 

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5362 on: January 10, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »
*  drove a little bit further to fill up the gas tank a lot cheaper.
*  donated a bunch of stuff to thrift shop
*  carefully made list before going to the store

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5363 on: January 11, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »
Started washing my hair every other day.  Pleasantly surprised to find that it looks better both days!

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #5364 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
Weekend wrap-up:

*Stuck to a New Year's resolution and only bought kids' clothes at a consignment store (using Christmas money from Grandma)
*Scored a KitchenAid salad spinner for $4 (retail $35) at a thrift store
*Bought bread at a local bakery outlet (GIANT sourdough loaf, 6-count rosemary ciabatta rolls, cinnamon-raisin loaf, Italian bread loaf) for under $5
*Instituted a "no-waste" policy - no food gets wasted/thrown away (especially produce). Ended up eating leftovers, threw in some almost-past-peak produce in a pasta dish, and turned brown bananas into banana-nut muffins.
*Packed lunches for all four of us to take to work/school
*Sewed on Cub Scout/Girl Scout patches instead of farming it out
*Took two pairs of boots to a shoe repair place - will cost $8 per pair, instead of buying new boots/shoes

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5365 on: January 11, 2016, 10:58:17 AM »
-Picking up free beef from a neighbor on the Buy Nothing Group today. It's been in their freezer over a year, but that doesn't matter if it goes into a curry =)

-Planning to eat leftovers for lunch. Even though I don't really want to.

-Making a Costco trip today for eggs. It can be overwhelming, but their price on organic local eggs just can't be beat. And since I eat 2-3 eggs per day... it adds up. I'll also get cheap gas while I'm there. I should probably do this a lot more often, since the Costco is only ~3 miles away, and is a good $0.30-50 less per gallon than anything else around here.

-Home day otherwise: living room yoga and a nap are in the plans for today. And prepping for snowshoeing tomorrow! Cheapest snow sport available I think. Relatively low start up costs, and then it's just the gas and trail pass.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5366 on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:23 AM »
I HATE the phone (hate, hate, HATE it, why can't people work by text or email, ugh, HATE), but I sucked it up and spent a half-hour calling 3 different companies to fix billing issues I've noticed over the past week and a half. Total of 120$ back after that half hour.

Now on the phone with a 4th company to get a warranty honoured on our woodstove (the ceramic plate on the front of the catalyzer broke) and to get it fixed so we can go back to using it and sitting in front of the fire and not paying through the nose for electric heating. (If we have to pay, it'd be approximately 100$ fix).

Less than an hour on the phone; 120$ in money back plus 100$ in money not spent. 220$/hour - totally worth doing something I hate. ;)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5367 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
Froze tomato paste ice cubes so that I will use the whole damn can this time--no waste!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5368 on: January 11, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
-Picking up free beef from a neighbor on the Buy Nothing Group today. It's been in their freezer over a year, but that doesn't matter if it goes into a curry =)

Ended up all being local meat! One pack organic, one not. 1.75lbs of flank steak (organic) and 0.8lb stew meat. And a 5.5lb bag of frozen green beans, to boot!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5369 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »

Ended up all being local meat! One pack organic, one not. 1.75lbs of flank steak (organic) and 0.8lb stew meat. And a 5.5lb bag of frozen green beans, to boot!
Nice!

I packed leftovers from a party for lunch.  One of my friends left a ton of fruit that I had for breakfast and dessert. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5370 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:52 AM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

2) Used day old bread that daughter baked to make a simple lunch of cheese and lettuce sandwiches for the kids.

3) Stretched the ground beef for tacos tonight by adding cooked rice. Probably increases volume by 1/3.

4) Stood and did calculations of price/units at store today to figure out that the sale price on a smaller bag was better than the regular price on a bigger bag.

5) Had hubby sign claim forms for orthodontics for kids right away so we can send away for our reimbursement.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5371 on: January 12, 2016, 08:30:45 AM »
I went into NYC last night and stayed too late to catch the bus that goes right by my house - I ended up taking one to a train station about 1.5 miles away. I walked home at 1am instead of spending the ~$8 for an Uber.

It was actually a rather pleasant walk.

jordanread

« Reply #5372 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »
1) Back to using the Sham-free method of hairwashing. Slipped back to shampoo use over Christmas. Its simply 1 T. baking soda in 1 C. of water. Works wonders on my hair and scalp (and husband and daughter too). 

What is 1 C. of water? I've been using bar soap for my hair, but I'd like to know your recipe. Is it really that simple?

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5373 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
*  Packed homemade lunch (and dinner) and snacks for the day.
*  Will turn in receipts for a $60 reimbursement tonight

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5374 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
I just walked 2 miles in snowy 32* weather to pick up two library books that are required reading for a class I'm taking.  I still need a third book the library didn't have.  It's only $20 on Amazon but I have a few weeks to see if I can find an interlibrary loan copy.

I need a sketchbook/journal for another class.  I am binding up loose sketch paper I've had for years. 

These aren't expensive things, but right now I have more time than money.  The walk was invigorating and I enjoy book binding. There are so many secondary benefits to my cheapass choices.   

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5375 on: January 12, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »

What is 1 C. of water? I've been using bar soap for my hair, but I'd like to know your recipe. Is it really that simple?

1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.

Doesn't bar soap leave a residue on your hair?

I've often used dish soap! Tends to be more drying though (but I've had oily hair)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5376 on: January 12, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
-Let my mom known a gift card hadn't arrived. She had told me on Christmas it was a gift incoming, and to keep an eye open for it. I told her it had never come, and she followed up and now I have a copy of the e-gift card. $25 to scrubs and beyond, here I come! Plus, I have a 10% off lifetime account to the store, and a 20% off coupon right now...

-Avoided going to a restaurant after snowshoeing even though we really, really, really wanted to. (Pizza after snow sports, it's just meant to be!)

winostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5377 on: January 12, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »
My sister gave me a super gift for Christmas - a Selk Bag. It is essentially a person shaped sleeping bag that you can walk around in, even outside I guess. Of course, I am using it to stay cozy when the heat is down inside the house. :) She did not understand why I was so thrilled.

Can't believe I happened to read this today!  My boyfriend got me one for Christmas, but everyone he told said that I would hate it, so he also bought me a Wii game.  At first, I admit, I was disappointed because the fabric is like the outside of a sleeping bag and I would have preferred something softer, at least for the inside lining.  I've tried it twice, though, and it's pretty easy to sink into your own quiet, warm cocoon.  It's also a cozy way to play video games lol

I don't know if it will save me money, though.  I have ended up wearing it when my boyfriend thinks the heat was on too high, so he turns down the thermostat and turns on the fan in the AC unit.  I'm usually able to convince him to turn the heat back on when we go to sleep, but it means the temperature inside does a few big shifts over the course of an evening.

jeromedawg

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5378 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »
Here are a couple I've done recently:

- started a new telecommuting job - plan to save a good amount on gas
- replaced a window regulator/motor on my Camry - this ended up costing around $20 for the part off ebay - it was originally $35~ I had $15 of free GCs that I got from something else. I had this same window worked on a few years ago by my mechanic (pre-MM and DIY-repair days) and it cost me around $200... :( never again

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5379 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »

1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 cup of water.

Doesn't bar soap leave a residue on your hair?

I've often used dish soap! Tends to be more drying though (but I've had oily hair)

I also wash with baking soda--I prefer to use just a half-cup of water--but remember it is important to do a vinegar rinse (1T vinegar, white or apple cider, in 1C of water) or you will mess up the pH of your hair.

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #5380 on: January 12, 2016, 04:52:07 PM »
Paid off my surgery. After draining the HSA, we had a little under $500 left to pay. Used credit card to get the points (1% cash back), which will be paid off in full from our checking account when the bill comes in February. It's not the best money saving strategy (should've socked more in the HSA last year...) but it's not nothing!

Also: leftovers for lunch, making homemade mac n' cheese for dinner (leftovers for lunch tomorrow), despite the bitter, bitter cold I did not use my transit pass--instead I walked--to get to campus today, and scanned some chapters I will need for my project so I could turn in a library book before getting fined.

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5381 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:20 PM »
In my town, January is Fine Forgiveness Month at our library.  I asked for forgiveness, and my fines (a whopping $4.35) were cleared.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #5382 on: January 12, 2016, 06:40:16 PM »
I was kind of hungry at work but resisted the temptation to buy crappy food that I knew I'd eat and go "Why'd I eat that?" Instead I lasted until I got home and ate.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #5383 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »
Harvested a nice deer this weekend.  Processor charges $50 to process the meat.  That's appx 60 pounds of meat for 50 bucks (no pun intended). 

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #5384 on: January 12, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »
Accepted a job about a 5 minute drive from DH's job, we can carpool again!  And we will be using my car, which gets better gas mileage than his.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #5385 on: January 12, 2016, 08:04:38 PM »
I had a fail today. I had odds and ends of vegetables, including cabbage, and I put them in the Instant Pot with some excellent chicken stock and cooked on the soup setting for 40 minutes. After releasing the pressure, I opened the pot to a distinctive cabbage smell. Not a problem. I added tomato paste and seasonings. Now I had cabbage tomato soup. I pureed it. I had what looked like tomato soup and smelled like cabbage. Poured myself a bowl. Did not taste bad. Until it started to repeat on me, which it did the entire afternoon. Note to self: cabbage tomato soup is not a good choice for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5386 on: January 12, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
I had a fail today. I had odds and ends of vegetables, including cabbage, and I put them in the Instant Pot with some excellent chicken stock and cooked on the soup setting for 40 minutes. After releasing the pressure, I opened the pot to a distinctive cabbage smell. Not a problem. I added tomato paste and seasonings. Now I had cabbage tomato soup. I pureed it. I had what looked like tomato soup and smelled like cabbage. Poured myself a bowl. Did not taste bad. Until it started to repeat on me, which it did the entire afternoon. Note to self: cabbage tomato soup is not a good choice for me.

No good! Sometimes, chasing the meal with a glass of milk will help tone it down.

DH and I recently had a similar- turns out, we are not cabbage soup people. Which is funny, since we LOVE it roasted, in stir fry, in curry, as a substitute for noodles, raw in salads... the list goes on. Just not in soup!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5387 on: January 13, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »

Sorry -- to clarify, its 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of baking soda. I triple it and it fits nicely in a large canning jar.  And the rinse I use (thanks for the reminder, frugalparagon) is 1 Cup of water and 1 Tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.

Its all quite wonderful and refreshing. The vinegar smell is gone by the time you step out of the shower, but if it really bothers you, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I like lavender or patchouli).

Sooooo cheap and very effective. My husband has been using it for a year now and raves (and he's not into this kind of thing! haha). He even takes a hotel sized bottle of it and refills it before business trips. My daughter has been cured of her itchy scalp by using this method.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #5388 on: January 13, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
If you are willing to give cabbage soup another try, I absolutely love this recipe for "Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup":

Serves 8

1 pound lean ground beef (I used pork because it's cheaper)
1 teaspoon salt
1 large white onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomatoe sauce
5 cups unsalted beef stock
4 cups chopped green cabbage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup cooked brown rice

Brown the meat over high heat in a large Dutch Oven. Add the salt as you are browning. Once the meat is browned, turn down the heat to medium, toss in the onions, garlic, paprika, and thyme. Toss to coat the meat and cook for about 5 minutes to soften the onions. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beef stock. Cook for about an hour, or until the beef is tender. Once the beef is tender, add the cabbage and cook until it is soft, about 35 minutes. Add the brown rice and serve.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5389 on: January 13, 2016, 06:33:30 AM »
Working from home today, and therefore had an extra hour at home before starting work (since I didn't have to drive to work OR drive my daughter to daycare, since my husband was handling that... ) In that hour:
- I reprogrammed the thermostat to 19C at night (because my toddler refuses to sleep under a blanket, it can't really go lower...), 15C during the day when we're not home (the insulation is good enough that it doesn't ever actually go down to 15), and 20C when we're home... instead of the always-21C my husband had set it at. Should show up nicely on our electric bill.
- Made a batch of face scrub from The Hands-On Home to use in the shower later
- I pitched an article to a publication I'd like to write for on a topic I'm super interested in and actively researching on my own time
- I committed to picking up two gorgeous brass table lamps that are for sale on our local FB group, for 5$ each. They don't work, but we have the skills and supplies to re-wire them, and they'll suit our living room really well!

... And I spent half an hour reading a book over my morning coffee, because leisure time is important and reading is fun.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #5390 on: January 13, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Brought my less than $1 lunch today - I had slipped into a bad habit of going out again.  Back on the wagon!

I do like to get out of the office for a half hour or so in the middle of the day, but today I will go for a walk outside instead, which is a double whammy - financial and physical fitness.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
« Reply #5391 on: January 13, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »

Working from home today, and therefore had an extra hour at home before starting work (since I didn't have to drive to work OR drive my daughter to daycare, since my husband was handling that... ) In that hour:
- I reprogrammed the thermostat to 19C at night (because my toddler refuses to sleep under a blanket, it can't really go lower...), 15C during the day when we're not home (the insulation is good enough that it doesn't ever actually go down to 15), and 20C when we're home... instead of the always-21C my husband had set it at. Should show up nicely on our electric bill.
- I pitched an article to a publication I'd like to write for on a topic I'm super interested in and actively researching on my own time
- I committed to picking up two gorgeous brass table lamps that are for sale on our local FB group, for 5$ each. They don't work, but we have the skills and supplies to re-wire them, and they'll suit our living room really well!

... And I spent half an hour reading a book over my morning coffee, because leisure time is important and reading is fun.

That's awesome you pitched an article. I just started writing myself and am finding that I really enjoy it.

Do you mind sharing which publication? Topic? Have you ever done this before or is this your first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5392 on: January 13, 2016, 07:20:30 AM »

That's awesome you pitched an article. I just started writing myself and am finding that I really enjoy it.

Do you mind sharing which publication? Topic? Have you ever done this before or is this your first time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bitch Magazine, on feminism and money and household labour. Gotta put that women's studies minor to use somehow, right? ;)

I've written articles for free before, but I'm starting to think that being paid would be nice. We'll see if it works. I enjoy researching and writing, so writing for free for publications I respect isn't the worst (And the free writing listed on my resume has gotten me actual real-life jobs, so... free has paid off, kinda), but I think I'd like to see some $ coming in as a direct result, not as an incidental.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:32:09 AM by Kitsune »

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5393 on: January 13, 2016, 07:30:30 AM »
I listed my car on Craigslist with nice photos this morning. I also provided a link to reviews of the make & model on Edmunds.com, which gave glowing reviews and listed much higher value estimates than the Kelly Blue Book. I priced it closer to the Kelly Blue Book value, so hopefully that will make it seem like a good deal. It's a reliable 12-year-old car with some damage and quirky old car things, but somebody's got to want it, right? Fingers crossed that it will go quickly and smoothly.

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5394 on: January 13, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »
I remembered to put the pork in the crock pot for pulled pork dinner. And I remembered to take the rolls out of the freezer to thaw.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #5395 on: January 13, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
*  Sent another $66 to the credit card. 
*  Homemade lunch of rice and beans made in the Instant Pot
*  did an errand on my way to work this morning instead of making an extra trip/extra driving this afternoon
*  free yoga tonight

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5396 on: January 13, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
"Survived" on snacks and drinks from my work drawer.
Reduced my phone bill by 20%.
And just made a steamed coconut milk latte (we are out of milk).
Also started an anti-procrastination journal, so if I'm trying to find entertainment I can check to see if something from there has been taken care of today.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5397 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
 - I've shoveled snow, three times so far, and it is only 10:30
 - Talked to Downstairs tenants about leaving outside light on overnight (shared utilities)
 - Put in a bulk food order (Staples - way cheaper than local store)
 - Going to try my hand at making some healthy low-carb gluten free buns today. I'm skeptical but will save sanity (food variety) if not money since I don't buy specialty prepared gluten-free anything.
 - Entertainment tonight - meeting up with friends on Skype for a brainstorming game design session. Figured that learning how to create our own games is cheaper than buying them and more fun :)

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #5398 on: January 13, 2016, 04:10:31 PM »
Made chili in my Crock Pot last night. While opening cans I had yet another can opener break. Good thing I had my Leatherman with a can opener. I'd actually never used it before but it's surprisingly efficient and I don't think i'm going to waste money on another can opener.

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5399 on: January 13, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »
Convinced Wells Fargo to waive the $10 service fee they hit me with yesterday.  And tomorrow I will go to the local branch and close the account.