Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 4200909 times)

marion10

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #13200 on: June 09, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
Baby shower today for the mother in a refugee family. Went to Macy's and checked out the clearance section- got a variety of clothes in sizes 6 months to 2T for $26. Used gift bag I already had. I had a baby card- but it said congratulations on new arrival- but baby is not here yet- so just cut off the text part of the card and wrote my own greeting on the back.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13201 on: June 09, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Saved the laces from an old pair of running shoes I was throwing out, and put them in another pair of shoes with frayed laces.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13202 on: June 09, 2019, 07:13:58 PM »
Managed to work several slightly wilting veggies into tonight’s dinner, along with the last of the leftover rice from Friday and the end of a block of cheese. I hate wasting food, so that was satisfying.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #13203 on: June 09, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »
Binge-watched Til Debt Do Us Part instead of going out to spend money. Using existing craft supplies to bulk up my gift stash. Baked muffins from a failed coconut soup that I put in the freezer a few months ago, instead of tossing. They're still in the oven, so the I don't know how they taste. But the batter (before I added the egg) was *delicious*!
Read library books and picked up aluminum cans on my daily walks.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13204 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
Long time lurker. First time poster in this thread.

I saved money today by biking to work. Didn't drive... so no gas, depreciation, or parking. Didn't take transit... so no ticket to pay for.
The big disclaimer being that this is something I've done every single day for the last 3 years.

Tomorrow I'll have to dig a little deeper to find something a big more novel for my situation.
Don't want to harsh on a new guy, but this is the MMM Forum, after all.  Your vehicle depreciated every single day you own it, whether you drive it or not. Sure, more mileage hastens depreciation, but the number it's costing you to own is not zero.

And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13205 on: June 10, 2019, 05:06:44 AM »
Had a bunch of carrots, like 4 bags worth in the fridge in various stages of decomp. I cut off all the uglies and the ends and outer skin cut into 1 inch hunks and decided I was going to have glazed carrots. I put in some butter, a little brown sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Let it cook on high in slow cooker for maybe 3 hours. They were soft at that point and smelled good. Then I changed my mind and decided to make soup out of it. Added some chopped onion and ginger root. I poured in some chicken broth and let it cook all night on low in slow cooker. I just tasted the broth and it tastes gorgeous! I will blend it all up in the Vita Mix when it cools! All of these carrots almost made it to the garbage can. Now, I think I have a delicious soup!

I have some home made pumpernickel bread in the refrig that is getting old. I hate to waste it so maybe I will make croutons out of it. It's around half a loaf.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13206 on: June 10, 2019, 06:19:58 AM »
-Used a coupon for $3 off of purchases I was going to make anyway. The key part - remembered to use the coupon!
-Bought the wrong kind of buns for burgers (I misunderstood & thought my husband was making sliders). The kids wanted "full sized" buns to go with their burgers. Made them work anyway, & doctored up the burgers so everyone was satisfied, vs running to the store again.
-Remembered to register for our store's local "double points over the weekend" promotion that was going on, which will mean I'll earn $1-2 back at the end of the month
-Worked in the yard again in the morning (with my crew up 12 & 13 year olds) before it got super hot yesterday. We will likely need to hire help for part of the work, so doing as much as we can by ourselves.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13207 on: June 10, 2019, 07:10:17 AM »
Had a bunch of carrots, like 4 bags worth in the fridge in various stages of decomp. I cut off all the uglies and the ends and outer skin cut into 1 inch hunks and decided I was going to have glazed carrots. I put in some butter, a little brown sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Let it cook on high in slow cooker for maybe 3 hours. They were soft at that point and smelled good. Then I changed my mind and decided to make soup out of it. Added some chopped onion and ginger root. I poured in some chicken broth and let it cook all night on low in slow cooker. I just tasted the broth and it tastes gorgeous! I will blend it all up in the Vita Mix when it cools! All of these carrots almost made it to the garbage can. Now, I think I have a delicious soup!

I have some home made pumpernickel bread in the refrig that is getting old. I hate to waste it so maybe I will make croutons out of it. It's around half a loaf.

Update: Just blended the carrots and broth up and it was the perfect thickness and tastes wonderful! So simple and easy to make. Preparing the carrots was kind of a pain but end result was great!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #13208 on: June 10, 2019, 08:43:29 AM »
did the work of exterminator when we saw a bedbug in our place.
17 hours  of running. 

but you know those extermiators dont work unless you get the place totally clean and decluttered

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #13209 on: June 10, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
-Saved $219 by increasing our homeowners insurance deductible from $1,000 to $5,000

Read several online articles about ways to save money Saturday, and the above reminded me I needed to make that adjustment.  Next I'll look on Gazelle dot com to research selling my old cell phones.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13210 on: June 10, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
Hardware store had a 25% discount on everything today, so I bought several things we need for our latest DIY project.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13211 on: June 10, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »

Update: Just blended the carrots and broth up and it was the perfect thickness and tastes wonderful! So simple and easy to make. Preparing the carrots was kind of a pain but end result was great!

Great going! I'd be jealous if I didn't have a soup of my own going. I poked around in the freezer and found some leftover ham from Easter.  My friend sent me a  Rancho Gordo sampler of beans, so I grabbed a bag and put together a ham and bean soup out of some odds and ends, including kale that we got in our Misfits box, and some dubious looking carrots that (like yours) cleaned up fine.

dblaace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13212 on: June 10, 2019, 04:58:01 PM »
About 18 months ago my 2000 Nissan truck was t-boned on the passenger side. I only had liability insurance on it. The fault was disputed and there were no witnesses so it didn't get repaired. I continued to drive it but only having one door was becoming a major inconvenience.  I bought a new/used van a year ago but kept the truck to haul things if I ever needed to.

Well today I sold it for $1k. I only used it a few times over the year but had to pay insurance registration and inspection. I can rent a trailer for less than that if I need to.

I'd still be driving it today if it hadn't been wrecked. It was still running great with 190k miles. I'll miss it.

The $1k is headed for a CD to go to next years IRA.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #13213 on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »
Update on the failed coconut soup-turned muffins--delicious! Slathered them with peanut butter for a semi-healthy dinner. Made several meals and snacks out of something in pre-MMM days I would've thrown away.
Made a fruit fly trap out of a water glass and some apple cider vinegar.
Ate a free breakfast and lunch at work.
Made a 32 load jug of laundry detergent last 90 days.
Going to use more of my craft stash to make some more gifts.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13214 on: June 11, 2019, 04:38:08 AM »

Great going! I'd be jealous if I didn't have a soup of my own going. I poked around in the freezer and found some leftover ham from Easter.  My friend sent me a  Rancho Gordo sampler of beans, so I grabbed a bag and put together a ham and bean soup out of some odds and ends, including kale that we got in our Misfits box, and some dubious looking carrots that (like yours) cleaned up fine.

Poundwise, I also get misfits boxes! I get the big one every two weeks and it has been working out pretty good. I have been making things I have never had before. Made cauliflower/turnip mash this week and they were so good! Have also been making Tuscan kale Caesar slaw. I am not a big fan of so many pears they send. They seem to send a lot of apples too and I did make applesauce out of them. Mango is something I never bought before and it was challenging cutting it open. Another thing I never bought before is English cukes. They are so good! I also joined a CSA and my first basket of veggies is this Thursday! I hope I don't have an overload.

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #13215 on: June 11, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
another cost that may help in the long run:
bought an extra boxspring cover and mattress cover of high quality.  we might put two layers of them on to not have to deal with bedbugs in future.

BBs take so much time to eradicate, it'll be worth it to not have to do that work

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13216 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:47 AM »
My son had an oral surgery appointment scheduled for this morning. He woke me up to tell me that the tooth was out. It was already loose, so not shocked, but I'm guessing he wiggled quite a bit to get it all the way out. Unintentional on my part, but saves $170 of dental work.

FIRE_guy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13217 on: June 11, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »

I saved money today by biking to work. Didn't drive... so no gas, depreciation, or parking. Didn't take transit... so no ticket to pay for.
The big disclaimer being that this is something I've done every single day for the last 3 years.

Tomorrow I'll have to dig a little deeper to find something a big more novel for my situation.
Don't want to harsh on a new guy, but this is the MMM Forum, after all.  Your vehicle depreciated every single day you own it, whether you drive it or not. Sure, more mileage hastens depreciation, but the number it's costing you to own is not zero.

Not quite - I don't own a car. I'm a MMM vet after all ;)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13218 on: June 11, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »
Poundwise, I also get misfits boxes! I get the big one every two weeks and it has been working out pretty good. I have been making things I have never had before. Made cauliflower/turnip mash this week and they were so good! Have also been making Tuscan kale Caesar slaw. I am not a big fan of so many pears they send. They seem to send a lot of apples too and I did make applesauce out of them. Mango is something I never bought before and it was challenging cutting it open. Another thing I never bought before is English cukes. They are so good! I also joined a CSA and my first basket of veggies is this Thursday! I hope I don't have an overload.

@Roadrunner53 The pears and apples are the first to go in our box! (my little daughter loves them so I put them in a bowl, bam, gone!) I'm having an issue with the fancy watermelon turnips and black turnips though. Nobody likes them (I tried tossing slices with oil and salt, then roasting) so they end up going bad.

Mango is easier to peel if you make shallow longitudinal slits through the skin with the point of a paring knife. Then, just pull each section of skin down from a point.  Once it's peeled, you make two cuts on either side of the big seed to get some decent pieces, then trim round the edges.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13219 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:59 AM »

@Roadrunner53 The pears and apples are the first to go in our box! (my little daughter loves them so I put them in a bowl, bam, gone!) I'm having an issue with the fancy watermelon turnips and black turnips though. Nobody likes them (I tried tossing slices with oil and salt, then roasting) so they end up going bad.

Mango is easier to peel if you make shallow longitudinal slits through the skin with the point of a paring knife. Then, just pull each section of skin down from a point.  Once it's peeled, you make two cuts on either side of the big seed to get some decent pieces, then trim round the edges.

I have not gotten watermelon turnips or black turnips...yet! I have gotten a lot of things I would never normally buy but it is fun! My box just arrived and the hub and I like to open it together to see what 'treasures' we will receive. Good tips on the mango! My hub is not a big fruit eater and I can't eat 20 pieces of fruit by myself! LOL! I do try to cut up some apples and put them on his plate. He will eat them that way. Right now I am cooking spaghetti squash from the last box. I try so hard to use up all the veggies before the next box arrives. It is just the two of us and sometimes it is challenging! Glad your kid likes the fruit! Good for lunches!

Arbitrage

• Bristles
« Reply #13220 on: June 11, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »
Did some tax-loss harvesting.  $300 in 'free' money, courtesy of the federal and state governments. 

Yes, I know that I could eventually have to pay some of that back in capital gains tax, but my intention is to have a 0% capital gains tax rate down the road.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13221 on: June 11, 2019, 01:44:46 PM »
Bought food that was 35% off because it's near the sell by date. Pretty fancy veggies that will make a good risotto tomorrow. Also bought tiramisu. I'm inviting a friend over and that fancy dinner will cost like €4.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13222 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:10 PM »

Not quite - I don't own a car. I'm a MMM vet after all ;)
I thought I must have mis-read your post. Nope, it can just as easily read that you chose not to drive, but apparently in your case, you have no choice, lol. Mustachians also value clarity. Choosing not to own a car didn't happen today, so you can't really say today you saved depreciation on a car you don't own today. In any case, good for you for figuring out the no-car thing.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #13223 on: June 12, 2019, 01:43:34 AM »
I cut my hair. At midnight, in my bathroom. Got impatient with how knotted it was.

I also turned down an invitation to breakfast tomorrow. We'll be spending the whole day together, I can eat something cheap and filling at home and bring snacks for the rest of the day.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13224 on: June 12, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
I thought I must have mis-read your post. Nope, it can just as easily read that you chose not to drive, but apparently in your case, you have no choice, lol. Mustachians also value clarity. Choosing not to own a car didn't happen today, so you can't really say today you saved depreciation on a car you don't own today. In any case, good for you for figuring out the no-car thing.

@Dicey you are HARSH!! :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13225 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:51 AM »

Oh, I politely beg to differ, and this is why: Once you've counted the savings of not having a car, and baked it into your budget, it's kind of disingenuous to keep counting it as a daily savings, which is the theme of this specific thread. The point is not to keep giving yourself credit for past savings. (There are other opportunities for that, such as the "Race to [insert amount]" threads.) This thread is all about the little (or big) things you do on a daily basis to stay motivated. If you keep counting stuff you've done in the past as if it's new, it isn't really going to help you to continue maximizing your savings. However, anyone is free to do whatever they want. But that's not really in keeping with being mustachian, and that's why we're all here, right?

Please note I did compliment them on being car-free :-)

In the Land of the Mustache, not harsh. Not harsh at all, nor was it intended to be. Doesn't even qualify as a pacepunch, IMO, but then I've been here a long time, when facepunches were an everyday thing.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13226 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:02 AM »

Oh, I politely beg to differ, and this is why: Once you've counted the savings of not having a car, and baked it into your budget, it's kind of disingenuous to keep counting it as a daily savings, which is the theme of this specific thread. The point is not to keep giving yourself credit for past savings. (There are other opportunities for that, such as the "Race to [insert amount]" threads.) This thread is all about the little (or big) things you do on a daily basis to stay motivated. If you keep counting stuff you've done in the past as if it's new, it isn't really going to help you to continue maximizing your savings. However, anyone is free to do whatever they want. But that's not really in keeping with being mustachian, and that's why we're all here, right?

In the Land of the Mustache, not harsh. Not harsh at all, nor was it intended to be. Doesn't even qualify as a pacepunch, IMO, but then I've been here a long time, when facepunches were an everyday thing.

I see what you're saying... but I think the person just wanted to join the discussion and "welcome" might have been an appropriate response.

I did not bring flavored creamer to work. I have been buying big bottles of it and sharing with my coworkers, which is fine... but learning to drink coffee black is not only cheaper, it also reduces my overall consumption because it's not as delicious :-). For my after-lunch treat, I have homemade cold brew with milk, chocolate sauce and a drop of peppermint extract. Yum.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13227 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »

I see what you're saying... but I think the person just wanted to join the discussion and "welcome" might have been an appropriate response.

I did not bring flavored creamer to work. I have been buying big bottles of it and sharing with my coworkers, which is fine... but learning to drink coffee black is not only cheaper, it also reduces my overall consumption because it's not as delicious :-). For my after-lunch treat, I have homemade cold brew with milk, chocolate sauce and a drop of peppermint extract. Yum.

Thanks, I totally agree. From my original post:

[Snip] And beyond that not-a-facepunch, welcome!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13228 on: June 12, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »
Forgot to say, @FIRE_guy welcome in from the shadows!  Great work on the no-car thing.

I should post a money saving thing.  Okay, this is something I intend to do as soon as I stop wasting time on the internet.  Call up our legal plan, and find a lawyer to grieve our house value so that our property taxes get lowered.

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13229 on: June 12, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »
Instead of buying weed killer, we are using vinegar, liquid dish soap and salt mixed up and put into a spray cannister with a wand to kill weeds. Also, using it in ant holes. Pretty cheap and when used on a hot sunny day it really kills the weeds in problem spots in our yard. LOL, our yard smells like salad!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13230 on: June 12, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
Forgot to say, @FIRE_guy welcome in from the shadows!  Great work on the no-car thing.

I should post a money saving thing.  Okay, this is something I intend to do as soon as I stop wasting time on the internet.  Call up our legal plan, and find a lawyer to grieve our house value so that our property taxes get lowered.
That's awesome if you have a pre-paid legal plan that won't cost you anything out of pocket. It's also possible to defend yourself. I have two friends in different states that successfully lobbied for lower assessments and won.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13231 on: June 12, 2019, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks, it's prepaid through Dr. P's work. Having a hard time finding an in-network lawyer within a half hour who has the time to take our case before the due date, though...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13232 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
-Filled out a $5 rebate. A bit of a hassle, but done.
-Leftovers for lunch & dinner
-Made my own protein balls for my quick & easy breakfasts

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13233 on: June 13, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »
Bought a cheap train ticket because I need to go to another city for my side hustle today. I take the train A LOT and I'm always surpised that so many people don't research cheaper options than just paying the regular fare.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13234 on: June 13, 2019, 12:48:43 AM »
Bought a cheap train ticket because I need to go to another city for my side hustle today. I take the train A LOT and I'm always surpised that so many people don't research cheaper options than just paying the regular fare.

What are the cheaper options in the Netherlands? Don't you need a special subscription to buy cheaper tickets in quiet periods?
I would be interested for those few occasions that I visit. Airport -> FIL is a very long trip.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13235 on: June 13, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »

What are the cheaper options in the Netherlands? Don't you need a special subscription to buy cheaper tickets in quiet periods?
I would be interested for those few occasions that I visit. Airport -> FIL is a very long trip.

There are usually deals on day tickets on Spoordeelwinkel.nl and sometimes they are for sale at Kruidvat. Spoordeelwinkel requires Ideal so you do need a Dutch bank account or someone willing to order it for you - I know because I sometimes buy tickets for a friend who lives abroad. You buy a coupon code that you use to redeem the ticket online and you print it at home.

My trip is €25 return with a discount card and this day ticket is €19 including a coupon for free fries and a milkshake.

My discount card is €50/year and gives me 40% discount during weekends and off peak hours. There are even cheaper ones available that might be a good deal even if you only use it a few times a year. Some also allow you to take a second person with you at a discount (samenreiskorting) so you'd only need one.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13236 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
I'm a passionate gardener and a photographer who loves to visit Botanical Gardens whenever I get a chance. So, while on vacation in NY state we visited the Buffalo Botanical Garden and purchased an annual membership there - two adults $60.

1. The benefit - it is a reciprocal membership - meaning it is good for free entry into any other gardens across the United States for an entire year.
Even if we only visit three more gardens all year it saves us at least $100-$150 - twice that - if we take a trip to Ga-Al-NC-SC.

PS
If you go to the Buffalo bot garden - do not miss the best part, the Peace and the Healing Gardens located outside - almost hidden, to the left of the building.
Smallish as gardens go but worth it.
... tip for MMMrs - you can actually visit the outside gardens free of charge

2. Scored a new recipe for an awesome cherry dessert we had at the family get-together - I plan to surprise Mr. R. with it for supper tonight.
Frugal home cooking doesn't have to be only about rice and beans.

3. Dancing, singing, eating and celebrating a 95th birthday girl - yeah she danced:) - priceless memories. Renewed connections - love that.
This family knows how to have a good time with or without money - it's a gift:).

4. The rainy season has arrived in Florida - so my herbs and tomatoes survived our being away for a week.
Immediately harvested everything needed for a tomato and herb pasta sauce - life is good:)

5. I will harvest a big batch of various mints, verbena and salvia for tea this week.

Trip:
While Mr. R. enjoyed his one-time indulgence in the original Buffalo wings with a good local brew, we actually only went out to eat three times with enough leftovers to do lunches for four days. Then there were two family cookouts and BBQ on the deck at no cost to us.
Family dinner at the restaurant was covered for all along with a bar tab - so that was a nice surprise too.
The free breakfast at the hotel was substantial enough, plus allowed for taking apples, bananas and muffins to go.
All in all the food budget came in way under what I'd allocated.

Niagara Falls was reasonable and also under budget, mostly because we were not interested in most of the extra attractions and pricey entertainment offered. We took the boat ride directly into the falls on the Canadian side which was a blast and a lifetime experience.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:57:46 AM by Rosy »

Omy

• Stubble
« Reply #13237 on: June 13, 2019, 10:20:25 AM »
I cancelled my professional website that costs $100/month since I am FIREing in the next month or so...woot woot!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13238 on: June 13, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
Discovered I can indeed cook with coconut milk from a carton as long as I compensate by reducing or eliminating sugar in the rest of the recipe. Much cheaper than canned, and probably better for us since it's much more dilute and thus has less saturated fat. Worked for us because we're going for flavor, not creaminess, in this recipe at least. Would also work well for soups, I'd think.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13239 on: June 14, 2019, 07:20:06 AM »
Yesterday evening my DH caught a fisk (grayling) that will be our fish soup ingredient for tonight. Saving money on other protein source. I found a new edible plantvthat will be a salad ingredient for tomorrow.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13240 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »
Just raided the company kitchen area for a bowl full of free pre-cut fruit -  mid-morning snack CHECK

Sent SO a list of 100 free/cheap things to look into doing this weekend with little kids, while big kid is at a half day camp - weekend entertainment CHECK

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13241 on: June 14, 2019, 11:16:55 PM »

- Before grocery shopping today, I cleaned out the fridge, and write a list of all the fridge/freezer/pantry meal staples we currently have. Then I wrote a meal plan and grocery list that used up as much of this stuff as possible.

- stuck to a list at the grocery store

-hung out washing to line dry

- avoided the temptation to splurge by not visiting the discount grocer (I often end up overspending/ impulse buying there).

-signed up for frugalwoods ultra frugal month-it is a great way to reflect on my spending choices.

- I am down to one pair of work pants, and it is winter here- rather than buying more work pants (I hate trying on clothes and work pants are pricy!), I bought a 3 pack of thick stockings for $8- means that I can wear my normal work skirts and dresses all through winter!

Decided against purchasing hairbands at the store, instead will make a concerted effort to hunt and gather stray hairties from the car, under the bed, handbag, gym bag, etc- I know there are at least 50 scattered throughout the house!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13242 on: June 15, 2019, 04:19:01 AM »
I'm home alone today. So far my breakfast and lunch were leftovers, and now I'm watching documentaties in YouTube while doing some mending that I've been meaning to do for a while.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13243 on: June 15, 2019, 06:11:21 AM »
I'm home alone today. So far my breakfast and lunch were leftovers, and now I'm watching documentaties in YouTube while doing some mending that I've been meaning to do for a while.

Sounds like you are having a nice day to yourself. Good for you.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13244 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
Yesterday evening my DH caught a fisk (grayling) that will be our fish soup ingredient for tonight. Saving money on other protein source. I found a new edible plantvthat will be a salad ingredient for tomorrow.

Yesterday DH also caught a trout, the size of one meal for two.

I put leather fat on my hiking shoes, so that the leater becomes less dry and increase the lifetime of the shoes.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13245 on: June 15, 2019, 07:13:53 AM »

- I am down to one pair of work pants, and it is winter here- rather than buying more work pants (I hate trying on clothes and work pants are pricy!), I bought a 3 pack of thick stockings for $8- means that I can wear my normal work skirts and dresses all through winter!

Decided against purchasing hairbands at the store, instead will make a concerted effort to hunt and gather stray hairties from the car, under the bed, handbag, gym bag, etc- I know there are at least 50 scattered throughout the house!

I haven't tried this, @11ducks, but I thought of it when you mentioned thick stockings and hair ties: https://www.instructables.com/id/Stretchy-Hair-Ties-out-of-Tights/.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13246 on: June 15, 2019, 10:00:33 AM »

I haven't tried this, @11ducks, but I thought of it when you mentioned thick stockings and hair ties: https://www.instructables.com/id/Stretchy-Hair-Ties-out-of-Tights/.
I love this idea, but she certainly does make a simple process complicated. Flatten out old tights, cut in strips with whatever decently sharp scissors you have on hand. Stretch and roll the strips and boom, you're done.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13247 on: June 15, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »

Sounds like you are having a nice day to yourself. Good for you.

Aaaand bought cheap sushi from one of my favourite places in town through the Too good to go app that allows you to buy meals that restaurants would otherwise have thrown away. This place always gives you quite a large amount of food (sometimes too much for 1 person) and they charge €5.

Favourite restaurant makes it sound like I eat out all the time, which I don't. I have never paid full price in this restaurant but I'm probably picking up leftovers for the 3d or 4th time.

okcisok

• Stubble
« Reply #13248 on: June 15, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Last night, convinced SO to just eat leftovers instead of grabbing takeout. He had stir-fried rice, I had pizza, no money spent.
This morning I ate breakfast and lunch at a gathering, and managed to take everything I needed on the outing. No popping into the shops for sunscreen, bottled water, etc.
Made a gift for a party with $2 worth of purchased craft supplies to supplement what I already had on hand. Re-used a gift bag (that originally came from the person throwing the party:) tissue we had on hand, and cards from the stash I bought at a thrift store. Decorated the cards with markers and stickers we have, and voila! Party gift for way cheap. Recipients loved it, even said she was going to get rid of similar store-bought item and replaced it with my handmade gift!
Dinner will be scrounged from the fridge/cupboard, as I'm staying in.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13249 on: June 15, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »

I love this idea, but she certainly does make a simple process complicated. Flatten out old tights, cut in strips with whatever decently sharp scissors you have on hand. Stretch and roll the strips and boom, you're done.

Awesome, what a great idea. Well, if I cant hunt down enough hair ties this is definitely an option, thanks!