Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021035 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3550 on: June 13, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
Ran fans and opened windows last night to get the house cooled off, then closed it up first thing this morning.  65* in here feels delicious.

Made half a gallon of kombucha.

Not grocery shopping this weekend since I can scrounge enough from the garden and freezer to last until I leave on another work trip on Monday morning.  Grocery spend is @ $71 for the month, and that includes $27 for aloe juice for my horse (yes, seriously).

Bought a couple rolls of radiant barrier yesterday and will be insulating the garage door, to try to reduce the heat transfer to the two rooms above the garage.

Soaked leftover hay cubes to feed to the chickens.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3551 on: June 13, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
Yesterday - caught the mouse that I've been trying to get rid of for about a month. Why is this mustachian? Because the darn thing kept eating my food which then had to be thrown out. I was slowly getting everything into containers, but this was also costing me money buying containers when I couldn't get appropriate free ones (like empty jars for smaller things)
Today - a few weeks back I bought some books online. These included several "omnibus" editions - which contain multiple books in one volume. One was meant to have 4 books, but only had 1. Complained to the retailer, their response was to question my integrity and offer a refund if I send it back at my cost. Today I found the consumer protection information that proved I was in the right, and quoted it at them to prove that what I originally requested (the additional book) is reasonable and I'm legally entitled to a refund to the value of that anyway. I anticipate either getting my book free, or a refund which will allow me to purchase it elsewhere for free. If not, knowing my legal rights empowers me to take it further. OK so it's only $20 value, but i REALLY want to read that book, and I'm not paying more for something I've already paid for.

Good for you on the book!

I hate to be a downer, but keep an eye out/ keep working on those containers. I've never heard of an instance in which there was only one mouse, unfortunately.

Seconding both counts. Good luck with the book refund, and definitely keep going on the food containering. For BIG containers, try hitting up a local bakery or deli or bakery/deli in your local supermarket: if you ask nicely, they'll sometimes give away big plastic pickle tubs and frosting buckets (the first tend to be more stinky, the second more sticky, but both washable).

In a pinch, you can also stow not-huge boxes/bags of food in zip-top plastic bags. A box of 25-50 is still relatively cheap, and the bags can be switched out and re-used as you accumulate more containers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:18:56 AM by ShaneD »

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #3552 on: June 13, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »
Picked my first harvest from the allotment I started this year. Saved myself £1-2 on the salad we would have bought for dinner. Secondary bonus is that I didn't go for the take out yet opted for the healthier option too.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3553 on: June 13, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »
Made dinner of homegrown snow peas, onions, rocket and favas + leftover soy-stuff in the freezer + naan bread. Spiced it up with fresh sage and garlic. No need to go to the supermarket this weekend.

Bought binderclips for fixing the foil to my hoophouse. The local shop gave a steep discount because their last package was damaged and opened (nothing wrong with the clips, though). I found out the length of foil was somewhat more than I'd ordered, so instead of foil for two tunnels I have foil for four. If the current two tunnels have proven their use, I might make some extra frames.

Ordered spices and dried beans online again. Split some of the bulk order with my foodie sister, because we don't go through 1 kg garam massala by ourselves in a decade. Now thinking about starting my own food coop in the village, I can't be the only one ordering cheap and healthy staples online, right?!
Noticed that almonds and hazelnuts are half the price at Aldi compared to my go-to site for bulk orders. Time to hoard those nuts while they are in cheap supply!

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3554 on: June 13, 2015, 10:12:05 PM »
Trying to keep myself motivated. We've set a pretty big savings goal for the rest of this year, double the amount saved during the first half of the year, so we must stay on track!
* Did the weekly grocery shop. Went with my mom (yay, carpooling). I stuck to the list/shopping methodology we use and got out of the store $20 under budget.

*Went to a nearby town where they were having a city-wide yard sale. Had an enjoyable sunny day wandering around.

* Only bought one thing for $1 -- a little retro-style tin robot toy that came with a toddler book, new in box. A perfect gift for my nephew that is turning 3 next week, and lightweight and inexpensive to mail. Big win! (My sis and I have an agreement to always go second hand books or handmade for kid gifts.)

*We ate leftovers for dinner.

* DH and I went for a very long walk as our evening entertainment (6.5 miles) and finished up at the nearby grocery store. He spent $5 of his birthday money from his mom on a sale priced bottle of sake, and then gave me the rest to stick in savings :D Big steps for him -- in the past he would have wanted to spend it all on a fancy meal out.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3555 on: June 14, 2015, 11:10:57 AM »
I just ate some strawberries that were growing wild in my backyard.  Cost: $0.  Thank you, Mother Nature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #3556 on: June 14, 2015, 01:04:57 PM »
This isn't technically just today, but we have kept the air off all week.  I am really bad about running the air when we don't need to, historically.  I love to have it really cool at night.  But with the moderate temps we've had this week, it has been an easy thing to go without, and open the windows to air everything out at night. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3557 on: June 14, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
* Just deposited $5.25 into my savings account for buying salad greens and a mango the other day, courtesy of SavingStar. Not bad for 5 minutes of work.
* Spending the weekend doing investment and retirement account stuff.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3558 on: June 15, 2015, 12:28:47 AM »
I spent the weekend rearranging again, this time with wardrobes and cupboards. It makes the house feel better and it's free. It also helps me to look at what I don't need and get another bag of clothes ready for donation.:)

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3559 on: June 15, 2015, 04:31:31 AM »
Changed the oil + oil filter in both cars (Mobil 1 synthetic).
Did a ATF fluid drain & refill on the 05 accord.

Posted some old ski equipment / goggles for sale on Craigslist.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #3560 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:22 AM »
Had a free haircut at our local barber school.

.... and again today!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3561 on: June 15, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »
I wrote about this in the De-Sugaring thread, but here is a good place too.

I got my boyfriend to start drinking Crystal Light that I make for him from powder instead of drinking fruit juice all the time. It would be better if he were drinking tap water (like I do), but Crystal Light costs about a fourth as much as the fruit juice he was getting. And he will be cutting out a lot of sugar too. He enjoys the Crystal Light, so he's still liking what he drinks as opposed to sacrificing. So, double score. I'm really excited about this -- probably way more excited than I deserve to be.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3562 on: June 15, 2015, 12:35:16 PM »
I wrote about this in the De-Sugaring thread, but here is a good place too.

I got my boyfriend to start drinking Crystal Light that I make for him from powder instead of drinking fruit juice all the time. It would be better if he were drinking tap water (like I do), but Crystal Light costs about a fourth as much as the fruit juice he was getting. And he will be cutting out a lot of sugar too. He enjoys the Crystal Light, so he's still liking what he drinks as opposed to sacrificing. So, double score. I'm really excited about this -- probably way more excited than I deserve to be.
You can start watering down the Crystal Light too.

I know (grin) and I plan to start doing that very slowly in a week or two, so he will hopefully not notice. One thing at a time.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3563 on: June 15, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
Halved open and peeled part of an avocado that turned out to still be underripe. My younger self would have thrown the whole thing out as ruined, but this time I put the halves back together (pit still intact), wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap (replacement skin), and placed it back on the counter to continue ripening.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3564 on: June 15, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
*  put together 16 smoothie packs and did other food prep for the freezer and the week ahead. 

*  taking advantage of this fabulous weather to hang laundry to dry

*  no driving today . . . also, no money spent

LiseE

• Stubble
« Reply #3565 on: June 15, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
Two kids haircuts
Colored my own hair
tweezed/shaped my eyebrows

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3566 on: June 15, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
AirBnB reservation for an upcoming trip to Canada got cancelled. Found a new one nearby and saved $55!

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3567 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
I walked to work, packed leftovers for lunch, and did a little online translation work on the side.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3568 on: June 15, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »
* Made chicken salad and packed a picnic lunch for younger son, husband and I. We had to drive north and drop of elder son at camp, so we made a day of it and stopped at a county park in the mountains, enjoyed a picnic and some light hiking. Free mini-vacation (minus the cost of gas, which would have been expended anyway carting elder to camp).

* Ate leftover chili for dinner, which I had wisely frozen a few weeks ago when I saw we had a ton leftover.

* Younger wanted to walk to game store when we got back, because he had been saving up for a Steam card so he could take advantage of the summer sales on some games he's been wanting. Yay for him for both saving and taking advantage of bargains.

* Treated him and DH to a drink at Starbucks, thanks to last week's $5 for $10 Groupon. Two ice coffees and one passion lemonade (plus refills on each!) cost less than $5.

* We took a 3.5 mile walk after we got bored of hanging out on the coffee shop patio -- free entertainment and more exercise FTW.

* The boy and DH are now kicking back downstairs having a Jurassic Park marathon, with videos borrowed from my mom. This is in preparation for the boy, since Grandma is taking him to see the new movie tomorrow and we just realized he has never seen the original ones. (Yeah, not a lot of TV/movie watching around here). I'm going to go pop them a big bowl of popcorn -- the old fashioned way, on the stove.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3569 on: June 15, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »
* Sold a couple of books on Amazon for $20 after fees and shipping.

* Used a couple of PaperbackSwap credits to order books for my kids

* Used a green pumpkin and zucchini from the garden for tonight's sauteed-mushrooms-and-vegetables side dish. Used green onions and tomatillos from the garden for a Mexican-style bean-and-veg dish for lunch. Fed the kid one of our chicken eggs for lunch.

* Prepared a batch of crockpot oatmeal for tomorrow so I stay out of the drive-thru lane.

* Collected $3 in "ExtraBucks" for downloading the CVS mobile app

* Collected crimson clover seed from the garden

* Watered seedlings with shower-warming water from the house

* Parked on a free side street instead of using metered street parking
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:03:35 PM by jengod »

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3570 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22:27 AM »
Put on wool socks this morning because I know that in a couple more hours it will be plenty hot and I refuse to run the stove now so I can run the AC then. 

Preparing to do exploratory surgery on my CD Goodwill CD player.  I could take it back but it is of the quality that runs about $100 on the used market and I would sure like to make it work. 

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3571 on: June 16, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
* The other day I ordered a 3-pack of skinny belts (the type to cinch tops, not to keep your pants up) for $11-and-change (including shipping) to prolong the use of some tops that are now too big. But turns out the belts themselves are a little too big. The price was so low it's not worth the shipping cost to return them, so I've just learned half a dozen fancy ways to knot the excess. Also researching options/costs for dyeing one of the three to get more use out of it.

* ^Those 3 belts included 3 rubber bands in the wrapping. Kept 'em. :) ETA: Bonus: it turns out they are exactly the size DH needs for fixing something.

* Made dinner last night instead of ordering take-out (despite the jonesing).

* Researching more coupon options.

* In lieu of buying DH some congratulatory/pick-me-up cheap flowers for a recent hard time, bought him an on-sale basil plant. He loved it. Fun and functional.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:11:42 AM by ShaneD »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3572 on: June 16, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
Brought in lunch to work for $1.50 instead of spending $6 at the cafe.

Wings5

• Stubble
« Reply #3573 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39:38 AM »
Youtubed a video on how to repair my car door (it's a mid-90s model). Repaired two doors for $8 in parts, $12 in shipping, and $30 in new tools that will last a lifetime. Repair shop quoted me $235 per door.

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #3574 on: June 16, 2015, 11:46:18 AM »
Discovered that my $15 goodwill Blendtec blender was actually totally fixable on my own in about 5 minutes.    One re-centered fan blade and tightened nut later, I'm back in breakfast smoothie business.

Mr. McGibblets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3575 on: June 16, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
Halved open and peeled part of an avocado that turned out to still be underripe. My younger self would have thrown the whole thing out as ruined, but this time I put the halves back together (pit still intact), wrapped it tightly in plastic wrap (replacement skin), and placed it back on the counter to continue ripening.

Pro tip - if you have half an avocado and can't eat the other half, put it in a tupperware/zip lock bag with RED onion and put in the fridge. I've kept half avocados for up to a week, and it still looked green!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3576 on: June 16, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
Cooking instead of getting junk food (we were both tired, but I picked myself up), cooked enough to take with me tomorrow evening when working late. Also, getting on my bike when I was feeling pretty woozy/grumpy/tired. Arrived on time and not worse than I got on (not better either, too bad). Asked for a free household item and found one on the local freecycle.
Soaked and cooked a bunch of beans, chickpeas and lentils to freeze up.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3577 on: June 16, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
I was going to drive to a pro soccer match tonight that I had free tickets for, but it's been raining hard so instead I'm going to watch the free internet stream of it on my TV.  That saves me gas money, plus the $10 parking fee.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3578 on: June 16, 2015, 06:20:40 PM »

Even firm avocados soften nicely when added to a soup. I am partial to the Budget Bytes "Chicken Lime" soup, and avocados soften up nicely in it.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/10/chicken-lime-soup/

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3579 on: June 16, 2015, 07:08:07 PM »
This week... I bought a pair of curtains for $1 at a garage sale and cut them down to fit my bathroom window.Brand new curtains and they look good  I also found a net for the pool for $2.   I cut my husband's hair.  I made homemade black bean veggie burgers.  I managed to only eat out once this week.  On the not so good side, a relative's father died and I have spent $100 for sympathy gifts for two members of his family.  I looked at cheaper gifts but decided to go with the better gift.   

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3580 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »
I went to buy some filters for the AC. I usually got the really nice one that filters everything. That was about $16. Then, I looked at the version that filters less things...that was about $4.50. I read the difference, and the super nice one filters smoke (I don't smoke) and mold (is it worth it?). So for the first time ever I downgraded to the cheapo version.

Does anyone think the cheapo version is not good enough?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3581 on: June 16, 2015, 09:11:33 PM »
I went to buy some filters for the AC. I usually got the really nice one that filters everything. That was about $16. Then, I looked at the version that filters less things...that was about $4.50. I read the difference, and the super nice one filters smoke (I don't smoke) and mold (is it worth it?). So for the first time ever I downgraded to the cheapo version.

If your head doesn't stop up and you don't start sneezing, it's good enough. If one of those happens, go back to the expensive one next time.

On our end, neither of us went down off the mountain today. I worked from home plus spent some time refurbing and updating my old first-gen Nexus 7 tablet for him to use at school (his ipad was employer-owned and has been happily turned back in).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:16:28 PM by Rural »

Hans

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3582 on: June 17, 2015, 03:48:15 AM »
Today is my company's annual summer festival for the employees. I will not spend a penny on one thing today. Yay!

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3583 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:33 AM »

HVAC contractors lovingly call those filters "rock catchers."  One other thing to consider is that a layer of dust/dirt on your evaporator coils will reduce the efficiency of your AC by fouling the heat transfer surfaces.  While you don't need HEPA filters to prevent that you don't want to buy a filter you can see right through (spun fiberglass) either.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3584 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »

It probably depends on where you live. In Oregon, where mold proliferates constantly? I absolutely buy the expensive filters (although be sure to check resources like amazon subscribe and save, or Costco- lots of ways to bring cost down). If you're somewhere really dry, it's probably less of an issue. Also depends, are there any allergies in your family? Or asthma? Go for higher end if there are, study after study has shown HEPA filters really do make a difference for those prone to respiratory concerns.

Zee Mustard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3585 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:06 AM »
My partner said "I'll get a breakfast burrito at work."

I said "OK!  But I'm going to have yogurt here" and started to fix it.  He said "Oh, OK, I guess I will as well." 

Estimate $7 saved!

kyliec

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3586 on: June 17, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
Rang up and queried my new home and contents insurance bill (said I was shopping around) - got around $200 off.

Applied for a Coles (Australian) mastercard for $100 off Coles groceries shop (no fees, will cancel the card once I have the $100)

Electricity bill down around $50 / quarter after installing LED lights and energy efficient dishwasher and washing machine.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #3587 on: June 17, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
I like to purchase my hobby supplies used off other hobbyists who no longer need the supplies. I visit a forum that has a buy/sell thread. I buy stuff from there often, but I've never "countered" someone. The prices are already less than retail to begin with. In this case the items were heavier than I had imagined and shipping was very high. I was only going to save $8 total instead of $20 that I was expecting so I countered and asked to have her pay half the shipping, and she accepted:) woohoo. Saved $15 AND am re-cycling someone's stuff they could just as well have thrown away!

Every night I make myself a salad for dinner with lettuce and broccoli from our garden. Consuming something we grew ourselves, saving the little tiny bit of money by not buying those items at the store, feels great!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3588 on: June 17, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
Lots of cheap cooking today.  Skinned and boned four chicken hind quarters.  Put the skin and bones in the crockpot to make soup.  Made the meat into Bourbon Chicken.  Ran some giant pigweed-sized garden parsley through the blender to chop it fine enough to go in the chicken soup.   Also picked a few green onion tops from the roots I planted last winter to chop on top of my Bourbon chicken.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3589 on: June 17, 2015, 07:04:07 PM »
Even firm avocados soften nicely when added to a soup. I am partial to the Budget Bytes "Chicken Lime" soup, and avocados soften up nicely in it.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/10/chicken-lime-soup/

&

Pro tip - if you have half an avocado and can't eat the other half, put it in a tupperware/zip lock bag with RED onion and put in the fridge. I've kept half avocados for up to a week, and it still looked green!

Ooh, thanks for the tips, Bracken_Joy and Mr. McGibblets. Great ideas, and I've got 2 more avocados left, so I get to test both!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3590 on: June 17, 2015, 07:17:24 PM »
Used almost stale bread and leftover tomatoes (and some garlic/herbs) to make panzanella . . . it was lovely for lunch :)

No money spent today.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3591 on: June 17, 2015, 07:40:29 PM »
Went to Walmart while starving at suppertime and bought nothing that wasn't on my grocery list.

Agreed to review a textbook for a little bit of money.

Worked from home, saving about $7 in fuel.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3592 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »
It wasn't technically "Saving money"..  Chipolte for lunch.  They charged me for a steak, when I had chicken.  It was only like 50 cents.  Said something and they credited back the entire burrito.  Free lunch! when I was only trying to save a little.  Wouldn't even let me explain to pay for it.  Line was too long.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3593 on: June 18, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »
Went to Walmart while starving at suppertime and bought nothing that wasn't on my grocery list.

Now THIS is impressive!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3594 on: June 18, 2015, 08:49:17 AM »

Now THIS is impressive!

It was a first, but then generally I avoid going while hungry. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3595 on: June 18, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
This was yesterday, but I got my hair cut at the beauty school in town. I know that's not as cheap as cutting at home, but I was taking 11" off and have thick curly hair... I've seen what happens when that goes bad, and wanted nothing to do with it! A senior student worked on me, and I got a salon quality cut (including them styling it after... I felt pretty) for $12. And now just think of the savings on conditioner! 

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3596 on: June 18, 2015, 10:24:41 AM »
Added an extra $50 to the mortgage payment . . . with the plan to continue this for the next several months.  I have a goal number in mind for where I want the remaining balance to be by the end of the year. 

(Disclaimer:  I am not quite savvy enough to know if I am ultimately gaining/losing more as far as interest and all that . . . but the psychological benefit of getting the number where I want it is motivating me to save in other ways.)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3597 on: June 18, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »
Filled out some online forms through work/insurance to get points to apply to a draw for gift cards to a store I plan on spending money at this summer to fix up my yard. Won a $50 gift card. :D

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3598 on: June 18, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »
Hung up two loads of laundry, rode my bike to the city, picked up groceries at Aldi on my way to work. Harvested snow peas, fava beans and strawberries on my way back from work. Recycled some woodash as garden fertilizer for my hungry tomato plants. Turned overcooked lentils into lentil soup for lunch.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3599 on: June 20, 2015, 11:56:43 AM »
I cashed in some rolled coins at the bank, which I had been saving up, then I earned some money teaching martial arts classes this morning.  After that, I sold an SREC from our solar panels' generation and made another couple hundred bucks.  I also just cashed in 1000 Social Rewards points for $10 in rewards credits from Total Rewards, so after using reward credits to comp our hotel room for our Vegas vacation in July, that leaves us with $332 so far in comps for meals for that trip.  I think we'll have a fun time.