Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020762 times)

tomita

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #10150 on: December 03, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
sold unused mini fridge,
repair linen shirt,
no shopping today, needed bread but we made do with  potatoes or oatmeal

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10151 on: December 04, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »
Due to all kinds of circumstances, both me and my s/o needed on-the-go food for lunch today. We didn't have anything homemade in the freezer or fridge. I went to the grocery store to get something readymade so at least we didn't have to buy lunch somewhere. Pasta salads were on discount and I found some that were marked 35% off as well. Pre-packed pasta salads sell for 3,50 each. The deal for this week was 2 for €4, which is itself a massive discount. And it seems the cash registries are programmed so they take the 35% off the original price, so in the end we paid about €1 each for our lunch salads.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10152 on: December 04, 2017, 03:30:53 PM »
I went to the Apple store. I have an old Macbook from 2009 that was no longer working (did not support current iOs). Was looking to update current replacement laptop (hand-me-down Asus) with a newer version. Turns out they can do a full factory setting reset on the computer and put it as good as new. The 8-years-old computer is now as fast as any other on the market, and I was surprised that they did it for free!

Excellent!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10153 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
Today for work I'm wearing a lightweight black knit top a friend gave me (BNWT).

It's really pretty, and perfect for a cool, drizzly December day (what the fuck, Sydney?).

I wasn't familiar with the brand but I just looked it up - dresses are $239.

Got my power bill - down on last quarter, and also this time last year.

gypsy79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10154 on: December 04, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
Canceled HBO and my second DVR today.

For a few years, we really found entertainment value in HBO, but in the past few months, we haven't watched it enough to justify keeping it. The second DVR was in the workout room and kept me motivated for a long time, but now I tend to listen to podcasts in there, so no point in paying for the extra equipment or service.

I would like to cancel our cable TV altogether, but DH isn't on board. We don't watch a lot of TV, but he loves the NHL and is not impressed with the options for streaming. Baby steps.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10155 on: December 04, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
-Registered for a double points promotion for the hotel I'm staying at (work trip)
-Found a credit card reward for Panera, which is where my son had his end of the soccer season party, after their finals. Also, packed a huge lunch for everyone, so the total spend at Panera was really small, as the kids just had a snack vs a full lunch. Saved about $30 that way. Will probably save about $1 on the credit card reward.
-Declined the offer to shop with my coworkers while we're in Tokyo. I don't need anything, and would rather save my $$.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #10156 on: December 04, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
Ug, must preface by saying we were awful Saturday night. Blew almost every cent in our entertainment budget on one pub night with friends. But, this lead to some good Sunday morning conversations:

1) We need to rethink how we enjoy our Saturdays. Both wife and I work from home. I have the benefit of getting out of the house for school, though. Wife gets cabin fever and then we splurge (too much) come our night out. This isn't a summer problem, since long days and warm nights lead to hiking, camping, and backyard entertaining. We need solutions for winter, though! So, we sat down and made up some plans for entertaining at home as well as some winter outside fun -- all inexpensive or free.

2) Wife is going to get back into brewing (an old hobby that fell by the wayside, but she still has the equipment). We are much more likely to invite friends over for a cheap night in when there is a new home brew to tap!

3) We decided that we just have to buckle down and accept we have only $30 left of our December entertainment budget to last till January first. No filching from the savings account to pad it out!

On to today's frugals:

- Lentil stew in the slow cooker and homemade rolls on the side. Most of the veg in the stew was from our summer garden and preserved for winter meals.

-Thawing out some rice and premaking a tray of vegetarian enchiladas for tomorrow's dinner. It's the start of finals for me, so I want food ready to eat when I get home in the afternoon so we aren't tempted by outside options.

- Decided not to get a parking pass at the school next quarter. Going to use the bus pass that student's receive for free. It's silly I haven't. The bus stop is literally 8 houses down from my house and the bus comes by every 15 minutes - half the time I am driving behind it to the campus! I have 4 remaining quarters, so this will save me $140.

-Eldest son made some repairs to our artificial holiday tree. We got it at a garage sale when the same son was 2 years old, he is now 17. With the new repairs, it still looks very nice!

-Staying home, studying, and decorating the tree this evening. Probably some holiday music on the free Spotify and cocoa from a bulk-purchased mix, as well!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10157 on: December 05, 2017, 12:47:44 AM »
Despite the road being snowy and the lack of daylight, I walked to work. Took the way through the forest and used a headlight. Showered and washed my hair at work, using the shampoo and towel provided by my employer. Brought my own sandwiches to work as almost always this year. Ate a banana provided by my employer.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10158 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »
Despite the road being snowy and the lack of daylight, I walked to work. Took the way through the forest and used a headlight. Showered and washed my hair at work, using the shampoo and towel provided by my employer. Brought my own sandwiches to work as almost always this year. Ate a banana provided by my empoloyer.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #10159 on: December 05, 2017, 07:06:32 AM »
I got a flat on my MTB, and instead of replacing the tube and chucking the old one, I patched it and put it back on the bike. #score

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10160 on: December 05, 2017, 07:41:47 AM »
My boyfriend has to book a flight for work overseas, so we are using my new Chase card. Now I can meet my minimum spend no problem and get $150+ cash back since you essentially get 4.5% back to use for travel.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10161 on: December 05, 2017, 01:58:50 PM »
Finally sold a saddle I purchased with intent to flip this spring.  Profit was more modest than I'd hoped - just over $100 after eBay fees, but at least it's a profit (and I got some use out of it in the meantime).

I'll pack it up and get an official weight at the post office, then purchase postage from home to get the discount.

Going back to Fred Meyer today to get refunded for the $2 coupon the checker and I both failed to see stuck to a package.

Drinking tea instead of wine on weeknights

Lowering the thermostat another 2 degrees (down to 60 in evenings and 56 the rest of the time)

ETA:  this weekend picked a cabbage, parsley, small heads of broccoli and a huge armful of collards before temps started dropping too much.
Got tipped off that feed store coupons ($10 off) regularly come with emails from the local stadium/event center, and finally got and used one this weekend.  Will test re-printing and using it again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:08:37 PM by horsepoor »

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10162 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
Skimmed cream from raw milk that I treated. I can't do anything with it this week (too busy) but I'm going to pop it in the freezer and make some butter.  Youtube + heavy cream+ Christmas vacation down time = homemade butter.  Hopefully.

Ate leftovers, made a delicious salad out of odds and ends, including a strawberry sauce I pulled from frozen garden strawberries.

Salad for the adventuresome:  mixed greens topped with ground beef, bacon, sauteed strawberry mush, green onions, a little peanut butter, and a dash of balsamic.  Super yummy!

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10163 on: December 06, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
The last few days haven't been particularly spendy or savey - just average.

Mr Hen and I will be spending Xmas with friends this year, and we've been asked to supply the fizz.  I spent 5 minutes googling discount vouchers for a wine selling chain here in the UK, and found one that gives Ł20 off orders of Ł60.  That's ON TOP of the 25% discount for ordering 6 bottles or more.

Result:  Ł160 worth of fizz (12 bottles) for Ł98.  Happy dance!!!
Then went and made breakfast and lunch for work tomorrow.

And I've now passed a month of no smoking - VERY proud of that.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10164 on: December 06, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
Terrific! Well-done, you.

* Line-dried a couple of loads of clothing.
* Vacuumed out the car at home instead of using the vacuum at the service station (we didn't own a real vacuum until this summer so this is a new habit).
* Made coffee at home.
* Took the kids to a doctor's appointment via cargo bike rather than driving.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10165 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »

Mr Hen and I will be spending Xmas with friends this year, and we've been asked to supply the fizz.  I spent 5 minutes googling discount vouchers for a wine selling chain here in the UK, and found one that gives Ł20 off orders of Ł60.  That's ON TOP of the 25% discount for ordering 6 bottles or more.

Ha, I was super confused about the fizz- that's what my husband and I call sparkling water/club soda ("fizzy"). And I was like... why would it cost so much!? Then I realized you probably mean a sparkling wine, like champagne or prosecco?

Also, SUPER congrats on 1 month of not smoking! This will pay off in SO many more ways than just money. Wow! What an incredible gift to your future health and financial health.

----
Over here, just floating on. Boarding some dogs, cooking at home, spending obscene amounts on doctors and on husband's professional certs. Not really any savings over regular ones. (I guess *not* buying extra xmas decor counts, and trying to shop some sales for gifts?)

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10166 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
Yesterday during my lunch walk I got cold and decided to visit the library for some warmth and the gave away free hot chocolate.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10167 on: December 07, 2017, 05:25:03 AM »
Walked to work today, for the second time this week. Saving diesel and the environment.

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10168 on: December 07, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
When I went to make dinner last night, I returned from the basement pantry with canned jars of broth, tomatoes, and peaches.  Frozen peppers from the garden.  It felt good to have so much food from my own backyard.

Used up last of some so-so coffee that my husband had brought home as leftovers from work.  I've been drinking it a week, which probably saved $3-4 of fancy coffee bean budget. 

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10169 on: December 07, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
I've got a meatloaf in the oven made with free sausage that was given to us a couple months ago, and ground beef bought on sale. I forgot husband had plans with a friend tonight, so we will have plenty of leftovers through the weekend.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #10170 on: December 07, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Carefully looked at the temperature forecasts for the coming hours and week, and thus left windows open today (I'll go home and close at 3pm) in order to cool down my house thermal mass before the next high 30C days.

Put some spinach and bok choy in the freezer so that it won't go off. I can chuck it in my beans and rice next week.

Found someone's pencil on my walk to work in the grass. Half of it used up, eraser almost entirely used, sharpened with a knife. Probably an older trady's pencil. Picked it up so that it doesn't just rot and put it in the stationary cupboard at work.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10171 on: December 07, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
I invited friends to go a concert on Saturday... but it turned out it was unexpectedly sold out. One of us bought a ticket a while ago, but two hadn't. I remembered there was a radio station doing a ticket giveaway, so I checked their Facebook page to see when it was... I missed it by three hours. But they had posted a contest to their Facebook page, too! I wrote in: won a ticket. I messaged my two friends and told them to enter to see if we could get one more ticket so we could all go together. And my friend won too! Best contest ever.

jordanread

« Reply #10172 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »
My savings are really just cancelling plans to spend, but I'm proud of myself anyways.

1) I had planned on taking 2 university courses for interest this winter, but have withdrawn and will just read about the topic with library books instead.

2) I balked at the cost of buying a set of rims for my winter car tires, especially since my only regular car use is the short distance to the gym. So, I've ordered knobby tires for my bike instead and will endeavor to bike (on side streets and cleared paths) this winter. At best, it's money saving and extra exercise, and at worst it's the cost of knobby bike tires on top of the car rims that I would have been stuck getting in the first place, which is a gamble that I'm willing to make.

Don't forget the internet. It's got a lot of stuff there. And for biking, jump in the challenge (see sig)!

Mele

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10173 on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
Made rice pudding to use up surplus milk before it could go sour.  Added raisins I dedydrated from our garden.

In general, avoiding, as usual, any Christmas insanity.  We make a clear list and pretty much stick to it; ordering online helps a ton. 

Oh, and for a snack at work, lately I've been taking dried cherry tomatoes.  Saves me $.30 every thing I don't pack a granola bar. 

They are thoroughly unremarkable, but it's a quick way to eat something nutritious, use up a surplus of dried tomatoes (had a big bumper crop this year) and I never overeat.  They are fuel, nothing more.  Nobody in the world ever over-indulged while snacking on dried tomatoes, I don't suppose!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10174 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:52 PM »
My FIL gave us an old but reasonably fancy coffee machine that they don’t use anymore. When we turned it on it didn’t work and he suggested maybe the pump had died and that was probably that... but I decided to have a go descaling it using vinegar and we have water coming out of it again! Not dead, just very rarely cleaned by the previous owner it seems.

Now if I can work out how to make a decent coffee with it, I can cut the cost of my coffee habit back (nope, not giving it up).

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10175 on: December 08, 2017, 02:27:55 AM »

DS has outgrown his school uniform/s - I went looking  for the receipt (we cut the tags off, but need to know the sizes to sell the outgrown uniforms second hand). In his cupboard I found the receipt in the bag, along with an unopened uniform that I had totally forgotten about. I took it with us, with the receipt, to shop for his new uniform, and they were kind enough to exchange it (10 months later), saving me  $50 on uniform costs! After I sell his outgrown worn ones I'll make even more back.

Today we had a work Christmas lunch. I didn't pack a lunch, and snacked on available fruit instead of eating the snacks I'd bought. We had a lovely big Christmas lunch and there were heaps of leftovers, I ended up taking home 4 big roasted chicken breasts and a plate of sushi.  Ate the sushi for dinner (a little crunchy but good)- and will have the chicken over salad for dinner tomorrow, and shredded chicken wraps/pizzas later in the week!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #10176 on: December 08, 2017, 04:26:52 AM »
We had a dinner reservation last night to celebrate an important occasion, and I canceled it.  Instead, we did some pressing outdoor work in the orchard (cold weather coming), and then made dinner at home with the kids using things in the freezer.  It was great! One of those really great meals with funny stories and real conversation.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10177 on: December 08, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »

Ha, I was super confused about the fizz- that's what my husband and I call sparkling water/club soda ("fizzy"). And I was like... why would it cost so much!? Then I realized you probably mean a sparkling wine, like champagne or prosecco?

Also, SUPER congrats on 1 month of not smoking! This will pay off in SO many more ways than just money. Wow! What an incredible gift to your future health and financial health.

----
Over here, just floating on. Boarding some dogs, cooking at home, spending obscene amounts on doctors and on husband's professional certs. Not really any savings over regular ones. (I guess *not* buying extra xmas decor counts, and trying to shop some sales for gifts?)

Ah yes. 2 countries divided by a common language!

Fizz is prosecco/champagne, and just to be clear there will be 7 adults in the house for Xmas!

Took food to work today.  Have not turned up the heating - put on a warmer jumper, and I've got a blanket over my knees right now.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10178 on: December 08, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
Not specifically today, but I just realized I spent only €11 on groceries this week. €11?! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN. The week before that was a similar amount, so it's not like I'm living of what I stocked up earlier. And honestly, with the current foods I've got at home I could easily go on for another 3-4 days.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #10179 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
Not specifically today, but I just realized I spent only €11 on groceries this week. €11?! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN. The week before that was a similar amount, so it's not like I'm living of what I stocked up earlier. And honestly, with the current foods I've got at home I could easily go on for another 3-4 days.

That's pretty impressive!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #10180 on: December 08, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
I convinced my husband that I don't want a present for Christmas. Which is completely false, btw.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10181 on: December 08, 2017, 08:14:53 PM »
Family entertainment tonight was watching the movie Elf at my school where I teach. Spouse and I avoided the free cookies and hot chocolate. Better for our waistlines and health. Kid got to be doted upon by co-workers and students. He also ran himself silly down the hallways and stairwells. Fun holiday movie and work social. Cost was just the electricity it cost to charge our Nissan Leaf to get the 2 miles to my workplace.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10182 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:19 AM »
Yesterday the Ryanair website didn't work properly, so I postponed booking my flight. Today I tried the website again, but on a different browser, and it worked! And the best part; my flight had gotten cheaper. Only €10 instead of €25! Thanks Ryanair :D

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10183 on: December 09, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »
-Son's dance outfit didn't arrive in time for the event, so he borrowed something. Returned the outfit today.
-Sold a few things on eBay, and turned that money around to buy three teddy bears for the teddy bear drive at my son's school. (They are donating them to kids in a local hospital over the holidays, and he was very excited to select the bears.)
-Made dinner at home last night (well, really it was just defrosting a dish from the freezer). My husband made the dip we serve on the side, and my older son made a salad. I was crazy jet lagged.
-Submitted my expense reports for my most recent business trip, and it's already been approved, which will save me from having to float the funds.
-Took an Uber home from the airport yesterday. I'll be reimbursed by work, and I used my Uber gift card that I'd bought, generating a super market reward.
-Earned a hotel one night gift certificate from my business travel.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10184 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Drove over to pick up our new microwave from the warehouse a few miles away instead of buying it at the showroom at the end of the street.  Dodged a $50 shipping fee in exchange for roughly 10 miles of driving, so let's call it a $45 savings.  Plus snagged an extra $20 product discount for being a pickup customer.  We also had a coupon that we'd saved just in case we had an appliance fail (and it finally paid off).  Forgot our coupon at first, but drove the extra 2 miles back to get it, and that took another $30 off.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10185 on: December 10, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
- Friday night: younger son and I attended a free planetarium presentation and lecture by a physicist sponsored by our local astronomy club.

- We didn't go out last night. Instead, we enjoyed a beer at home, along with good music, a few games of darts, and a snack tray i assembled from items in the pantry.

- Picked up two movies and a few books at the library today, and returned the others before they were past due.

- Drank coffee and studied for my finals at home this afternoon instead of giving into the (very strong) temptation of heading to a coffee shop.

- I didn't cook this weekend, forcing the family to enjoy leftovers. What was left (a huge bowl of veggie risotto) is in the freezer awaiting to be reborn as a broccoli-rice casserole later in the weekend.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10186 on: December 10, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
-Found a quarter on the ground ;-)
-Took the kids to their indoor soccer session. Almost skipped, but realized I'd already paid & got off my jet lagged butt
-Took the kids to free soccer scrimmage at the stadium where the pros play. It was super cool. Unfortunately, another team took my son's soccer bag. Soccer bag has their names embroidered, and is part of the required uniform. Fingers crossed that someone returns it. Otherwise, out $65. :-(
-Drove electric car to all errands this weekend

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10187 on: December 11, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
I stuck to my shopping list and bought the cheapest variety of healthy bread, the cheapest mayonaise and the cheapest salad.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10188 on: December 11, 2017, 11:14:44 AM »
-Didn't go anywhere this weekend. Had friends visit, and cooked for them. Side hustle perk: I both make money dog sitting, plus some of them trap me at home, so then I don't spend anything. (OTOH, this is starting to cut into my social life, so I'm going to back off of this for a while).
-Ate leftovers yesterday.
-(As always) did our own yardwork. Cleaning up leaves and the garden.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10189 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »
It's 80*F and dry here in Southern California, so I put a load of laundry on the line to dry.

Lunch is crispy turmeric chickpeas and homegrown tangerines.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10190 on: December 11, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Yesterday, I rode my bike to the elementary school for a PTA volunteer activity.  It was 30 degrees.  In Southeast Texas (where 50 degrees is considered freezing).  This is a major win for me.

In the afternoon, H and I had plan to run errands.  I put dinner in the crock pot before we left so we wouldn't be tempted to stop for dinner on the way home.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10191 on: December 11, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »
Scored a loyalty bonus from my telco - a $10 retail voucher.

Reminded my husband to follow up a $1300 invoice for a freelancing gig that has gone unpaid.

Adjusted my income protection/disabillty/death cover through my super fund - the same insurance but lower fees for a white collar job.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10192 on: December 12, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »
I really wanted my husband to take an Uber to the airport, but got up at 4:45 and drove him there in my PJs and slippers.  *yawn*  Upside:  got to work at 6 so I get to leave early!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10193 on: December 12, 2017, 07:16:00 AM »
I really wanted my husband to take an Uber to the airport, but got up at 4:45 and drove him there in my PJs and slippers.  *yawn*  Upside:  got to work at 6 so I get to leave early!

Enquiring minds want to know if you're at work in PJs and slippers.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10194 on: December 12, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »

LOL, I went home and got dressed, but I doubt anyone would care if I did show up in PJs.  Benefit of a small city is a <15 minute drive to the airport.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10195 on: December 12, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »

LOL, I went home and got dressed, but I doubt anyone would care if I did show up in PJs.  Benefit of a small city is a <15 minute drive to the airport.

Sounds like he should have ridden his bike. What forum is this!?

/s

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #10196 on: December 12, 2017, 09:51:49 AM »
Yesterday:
-Ate free breakfast, lunch & snacks at work
-Charged our electric car for free. Got the charging report for the last few weeks, and we've saved $90 in gas charges, in addition to 225 Kg of emissions.
-Used Rite Aid rewards to buy mailing envelopes for a couple of eBay sales. Total out of pocket was zero for the envelopes.
-Defrosted soup for dinner. So grateful that we have quick & easy meals at the ready for busy weeks.

Dr.Jeckyl

• Stubble
« Reply #10197 on: December 12, 2017, 01:02:57 PM »
I went grocery shopping :). Sounds silly because its something we should all be doing. But I did it on my way home so I could save gas on the weekend. Also, I tend to spend less at the store than my DW. Being that food is my biggest expense beside my mortgage each month I'm really trying to do my best to get it under control. Every other bill I have is fairly low, I'm always looking for the lowest cost provider as long as they can provide me with what I consider a good quality product.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10198 on: December 12, 2017, 09:10:08 PM »
I didn't go out tonight. This is huge! I had my last final for the quarter today. The siren call of celebrating was almost overwhelming, but I fought it off. I have three weeks off, plenty of time to celebrate later (or not).

Instead I made french bread. Then I turned the loaves of french bread into rarebit for dinner. I had a pack of all natural turkey deli meat that Safeway was giving away as a free deal last week. I'm vegetarian but fam is only vegetarian at home. They felt spoiled when their rarebit was topped with not just cheese and mushrooms, but also turkey.

It's the little things, I guess :) Dinner probably came to less than $3 for all off us, and most of that was the cheese in the sauce.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #10199 on: December 12, 2017, 11:15:12 PM »
I packed half a leftover sandwich from yesterday’s lunch to eat for lunch at the airport before my flight today. Also brought a water bottle (as always).  I did carry-on (because I refuse to pay to check a bag unless absolutely necessary), but checked the bag at the gate for free (they were offering as flight was full and space would be tight) to avoid dragging it around for two hours on the layover. I would have been very annoyed if I’d decided to check it for convenience and then heard the free gate check offer.