Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020819 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2100 on: January 11, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
Picked up a saddle on Ebay that I should be able to flip for a tidy profit, if not double my money by simply cleaning it and getting better pics and posting a better ad.  As a bonus, put it on a rewards card I was otherwise not using, to kick me over the $25 points threshold to get some cash back.

Purchased an LED fixture for my aquarium that draws 13 watts instead of the 45 for the current fluorescent fixture.  That wouldn't save money in itself, but the LEDs should last about 9 years, whereas the fluorescent tubes need to be replaced every 6-12 months at about $25 a whack.  Hopefully it will make the aquarium look more attractive too.  TRIED cleaning and oiling the impeller to get rid of the annoying noise it's been making, but ended up ordering new parts since the noise is now worse than before.  At least it was $25 for the parts rather than replacing the whole filter.

Trimmed my horse's feet myself.

Decided that the little $24 grocery trip yesterday ought to get us through the week so didn't do any more grocery shopping today, like I'd previously planned.

I'm about to go hunker down at my sewing machine and do some magic on jeans and shirts that could be better used with some alterations.

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #2101 on: January 11, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
Talked to my housemate about sharing some meals. He doesn't cook, so he spends a lot on (mostly unhealthy) lunches throughout the week, and I make my lunches and love money, so it's a perfect match! Hitting the supermarket after work today to get some salad supplies.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2102 on: January 11, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
Used coupons (aka Canadian Tire money to Canadians) from buying three tanks of gas to buy three containers of dog food. Paid 30 cents for $7.21 of dog food. Canadian Tire also has the best price on this dog food locally.

To non-Canadians, this national chain sells tires and automotive goods, but also is well-stocked for outdoor sporting goods, household maintenance, garden and outdoor living items, Christmas decorations, and the comforts of indoors, like small appliances and pets. No people food, except chocolate bars at the cash, so shoppers don't faint after lengthy visits to the store. Widely visited by couples shopping together. A lot of kids' first new bike gets bought here.

(No, I don't work for them. I was just on a high from getting  $7.00 worth of free dog food.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:12:36 PM by choppingwood »

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2103 on: January 11, 2015, 06:29:32 PM »
* Quadrupled a recipe for Apricot loaf and made 2 x loaves, a tray of muffins, and baked the remainder in my bundt tin.  I'll keep out 1 loaf for lunches etc this week and freeze the remainder.  Saves money because:
1) efficient use of oven, and
2) having baked goods in the house means we don't buy them when we need to 'bring something to share for afternoon tea', which is a common occurrence in our social groupings.
3) if the kids can't find some bread-related product for lunch, they tend to opt for cereal.  Which uses a lot of milk.

* Cooking a double lot of beef stew in the crockpot, destined for:
1) tonight's meal (served on rice with veg and salad on side),
2) tomorrow night's meal (served as a 'Greek Shepherd's pie' - like a lasagne, but with sliced potato/sweet potato instead of pasta.  No idea why that makes it 'greek' - that's just what the recipe book says it's called), and
3) making a second (and hopefully a 3rd) Greek shepherd's pie for the freezer.

* Soaking and sprouting 4 times my usual amount chickpeas so I can make efficient use of crock-pot and have some in freezer for future meals.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:38:10 PM by homehandymum »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2104 on: January 12, 2015, 01:04:46 AM »
@homehandymum would you mind sharing your apricot loaf recipe? It sounds delicious and I have some dried apricots to use up in my pantry. I, too, have been trying to keep baked goods available for the kids for snacking.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2105 on: January 12, 2015, 02:00:19 AM »
@homehandymum would you mind sharing your apricot loaf recipe? It sounds delicious and I have some dried apricots to use up in my pantry. I, too, have been trying to keep baked goods available for the kids for snacking.

With pleasure!  It's a recipe from a circa 1977 La Leche League fundraiser recipe book that used to belong to my mother in law :)  It makes quite a dense loaf, but to lighten it up, you could use half wholemeal, half white flour, instead of all wholemeal as the recipe calls for.

Apricot Loaf

Ingredients**
1 cup chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 - 2 1/4 cups wholemeal flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg

Place apricots, sugar and butter in a bowl and add water.  Soak for about 10 minutes.  Add baking soda and then remaining ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Will be a sticky batter consistency.
Bake 3/4 - 1 hr in a moderate oven 350degF (180degC)

**Note: measurements are NZ/Australian metric, so a cup = 250mL, 1 teaspoon = 5mL, 1 tablespoon = a uniquely NZ/Aus 20mL
Handy conversion chart here:  http://alldownunder.com/australian-convert/measurement-chart.htm

Today, I substituted about 1/4 of the apricots with sunflower seeds, making it even denser and chewier.  Could easily be made with any other dried fruit.  Oh, and I routinely halve the sugar - the above recipe is given as it is written in the recipe book, though :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2106 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:20 AM »
Thanks so much, homehandymum! Is the cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family?" If it is, I own it! haha!

ETA: Just pulled 2 cups of dried apricots out of my pantry, so making double batch of your recipe today! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:39:09 PM by 1967mama »

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2107 on: January 12, 2015, 07:25:40 AM »
Bought ten pounds of pork skin at the Chinese super-grocer for $1... turned it into six pounds of chicharon and three pounds of Mexican lard. For the next little while, if it's edible and it's in my house, it's getting fried.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2108 on: January 12, 2015, 07:51:25 AM »
Bought ten pounds of pork skin at the Chinese super-grocer for $1... turned it into six pounds of chicharon and three pounds of Mexican lard. For the next little while, if it's edible and it's in my house, it's getting fried.
Chicharon!!! So good, but so, soooo bad.

mbl

• Bristles
« Reply #2109 on: January 12, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »
-This past weekend made some chicken cacciatore with enough for leftovers for dinner during the week.
-Dried load of clothing around our wood burning stove(try to do this as much as possible).
-Sold some more things on e-bay.
-Made oatmeal for the work week(Make the steel cut oats on Sunday as they take awhile to cook)
-Both of us bring lunch to work just about every day of the work year, but wanted to take credit for it.  :)
-Bought some food at BJs and stacked coupons to get the price way down.
-Entering receipts at Checkout51.com to get back cash.
-Use internet at the library(don't have internet at home)

UKMatt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2110 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:33 AM »
Checked what my mobile phone tariff included so that I could avoid extra charges. I now know not to send picture messages through it (have downloaded whatsapp for that) and not to ring 08 numbers (they can wait until I'm near a landline).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2111 on: January 12, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
Working from home and it is cold, so wearing layers and taking frequent breaks to move around and keep the blood flowing.

Making fried rice to utilize some Indian food leftovers (we were treated)  and odds and ends from the fridge that need to get used up for dinner tonight.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2112 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Thanks so much, homehandymum! Is the cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family?" If it is, I own it! haha!

ETA: Just pulled 2 cups of dried apricots out of my pantry, so making double batch of your recipe today! Thanks again!

Nope, it's called "Mothering Time", and it's just a small stapled-together book with a cardboard cover, produced by the Christchurch La Leche league.  My impression is that they gathered recipes from members around the country (NZ) that were easy to make, nutritious for feeding mamas, and useful for families.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2113 on: January 12, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »
Used a birthday coupon for a free lunch.

Just have to put up with weekly emails that go to the junk folder year round.  I tend to check it in January when I know to expect these things.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2114 on: January 12, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
Submitted forms for unclaimed money of $398.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2115 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
-2 apricot loaves in the oven (thanks, homehandymum!)

-2 whole chickens from the freezer are now in the roaster oven

-many cups of home brewed tea to wake me up

-turned off the furnace during the day

-chain cooking in the oven today while its already hot

-picking up vanilla beans I ordered to make my own vanilla -- this was supposed to be last years project!

-followed up on septic tank pumping service -- they didn't show up on Friday

-ordered contacts - yes glasses are cheaper -- if I order them 6 months at a time, I get a $50 rebate in the form of a VISA gift card

-not driving anywhere

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2116 on: January 12, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »
Used a birthday coupon for a free lunch.

Just have to put up with weekly emails that go to the junk folder year round.  I tend to check it in January when I know to expect these things.

Where do we sign up for free lunch emails? That sounds nice.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2117 on: January 12, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »
Here's a great list of birthday freebies!

http://moneysavingmom.com/birthday-freebies

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2118 on: January 12, 2015, 04:00:37 PM »

Thank you! My birthday's coming up in March, so I should hop to it. The one I didn't see on the list is Starbucks. If you have a card registered with them, you get a free drink on your birthday, and there's no price limit for it.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2119 on: January 12, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »
Cancelled Amazon Prime! The TV/movie selection wasn't that great and, honestly, most of what I buy from Amazon is stuff I don't need.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2120 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:42 PM »
Cancelled Netflix.  I had signed up for streaming right after I broke my leg in September.  I kept it for three months, since the broken leg was followed by shoulder surgery.  I am now on the mend and able to walk to the library for plenty of DVDs for free entertainment.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2121 on: January 12, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
Redid a stupid travel reimbursement form at work.

Took enough lunch for the week today. I always take lunch, but this makes it less of a pain early in the morning.

Ate leftovers for supper.

Checked in with HR on how long I have to do my witholdings for this month's pay. Need to do it this week, but didn't have to squeeze it into today's meetings. Need to recalculate because we have more withheld for benefits in spring (so that we'll have benefits of the summer), and I'd go into negative paycheck if I left it alone.

Requested a college vehicle for another trip I need to make this spring - doesn't save me money, but saves the college.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2122 on: January 12, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

And there's nothing for those of us who don't live in a city...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2123 on: January 12, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

Never is. Order samples in the mail if you want freebies in the boonies.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2124 on: January 12, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

Never is. Order samples in the mail if you want freebies in the boonies.
Now I hadn't considered that.  How do you find out about the samples?  I've looked on the Internet and all I find are sites that do not seem to be legit.  There has to be a way and I'm open to ideas.

StubbledCPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2125 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:25 PM »
  • Yesterday, I prepped salads for the lunches for the entire week
  • Prepped individual containers with the ingredients to make my daily peanut butter pumpkin pie oatmeal (everything in the containers except the oatmeal itself)
  • My cable modem was going out this weekend, so just went by Goodwill and found a temporary replacement (until I move in 4 months) for $5.43 after tax :)

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2126 on: January 12, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
-2 apricot loaves in the oven (thanks, homehandymum!)
- picking up vanilla beans I ordered to make my own vanilla -- this was supposed to be last years project!

I'd love to hear what you think about the apricot loaf (I assume wholemeal flour is the same as whole wheat).

What liquor are you going to use for your vanilla extract?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2127 on: January 12, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »
G-dog The apricot loaf is excellent! I used freshly ground whole wheat flour and no white flour. My family LOVES it! Glad I doubled it!

I am using vodka this first time. I've read about others using rum. I will try it another time. I LOVE vanilla, so this should be a win for our family!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2128 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:52 PM »
Someone gave us a package of vanilla beans and a bottle of vodka for our wedding.  It's one of the best gifts that we've received.  We use the vanilla in mixed drinks (yum) and baking. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2129 on: January 13, 2015, 01:44:35 AM »
G-dog The apricot loaf is excellent! I used freshly ground whole wheat flour and no white flour. My family LOVES it! Glad I doubled it!

I am using vodka this first time. I've read about others using rum. I will try it another time. I LOVE vanilla, so this should be a win for our family!

Yay!!  Glad it worked well.  I'm vaguely envious about the freshly ground wheat!  A grain mill is on my list of appliances I would love to have, but am not certain I would use enough to justify the cost.

And yes, G-dog, wholemeal is whole wheat is wheatmeal (at least, in this country :)  ).  I think here they need to use the term 'wheatmeal' on the flour bags now, because they remove the germ to stop it going rancid so it's technically not 'whole' anymore.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2130 on: January 13, 2015, 02:01:06 AM »
@homehandymum This is the article that finally convinced me to use a grain mill:

http://info.breadbeckers.com/deception-of-enrichment/

People often think that whole wheat flour tastes too "wheaty" when in fact its just turning a little rancid. When I grind my wheat fresh, whole wheat tastes EXACTLY the same as white flour when you taste some on your fingertip.

Thanks again for the Apricot Loaf recipe ... it will be joining the family recipe archives :0)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2131 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:49 AM »
Eating at home all day. I'm planning on eating every meal at home for the whole of January in fact. :)

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2132 on: January 13, 2015, 06:25:58 AM »
today I had to go to the town hall and run several errands. Instead of taking public transport (~12$) or the car (8$ + parking?) I used my bike to cover the 23 miles.

Didn't use the bike since early november which led to a little butt pain ... but it was totally worth it. I love the fresh air and sunshine :)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2133 on: January 13, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Starting to get all the trash out of the basement a bit at a time.  This is pre-renovation trash, so by taking it out in bags (that we pay $1.51 for) I'm hoping to eliminate the need for a dumpster that works out to more for the same amount of trash.

This trash includes cracked floor tiles (vinyl), old insulation (already replaced), cardboard fiber ceiling tiles, and lots of miscellaneous things that went down there to die.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2134 on: January 13, 2015, 07:48:36 AM »
- sold some old clothes - 30€
- ate leftovers for lunch
- prepared papers to quit the gym membership (must wait till April and pay till May), also wrote down dates of half marathons in our area, downloaded some video workouts (Insanity Max 30!!!) and checked the dates for the fitness trainer exam (not signed in yet) - this is not saving money directly, the exam will cost me some money, but I will be able to earn money with that afterwards (side job) plus I will have free gym
- and most importantly - I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (it´s mostly P&G and L´oreal)... I would share but it´s a German site

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2135 on: January 13, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Cancelled garbage pickup (we have a town transfer station that takes household garbage/recycling for free) -- $28/month

Cancelled pet insurance (I know...we only paid for it for a few months at least?) -- $70/month

Went through all my old school stuff and ripped out notes from previous classes so I can reuse notebooks and don't have to buy any for this semester -- $15?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2136 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:57 PM »
A friend is going on holiday this weekend and is cleaning out her fridge before she goes.  I got a text saying "would you like my cast off food?"

I said "Yes!" 

Whatever it is, I'll find some way to eat it, or freeze it, or cook and freeze it :)

What feels kinda weird is that she is on a much more limited income than we are, and could be freezing/storing it herself for the future.  But she won't.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:50:37 PM by homehandymum »

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #2137 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:02 PM »
My coworker was very upset about something, so I took her out to lunch to cheer her up and get her away from things a little bit.
Over lunch, she gave me some excellent advice on a work problem I've been mulling over for the last few days. Definitely worth the price of lunch out! And now I have a packed lunch in the work fridge for tomorrow.

marshmallowaddict

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2138 on: January 13, 2015, 08:24:37 PM »
I got a $10 amazon gift card from a survey and made my first eBay sale!

grodgersoz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2139 on: January 14, 2015, 01:46:15 AM »
I turned off all the appliances im not using at the wall socket.
tv, stereo, surround sound, kettle, microwave, clothes washer etc...

Also, im going to try not to watch my tv for a week. Saves money, plus forces me to go outside and do something else in my spare time so hopefully be healthier too!

If i manage no tv for a week, i'll go for a 2nd week, then a month etc...  I dont watch it much now anyway so its no real big deal. If i do watch it, its just to put on the 24hr news channel in the background for 5 minutes while im eating a quick meal. Or if i have visitors over, then im going to break the rule.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2140 on: January 14, 2015, 02:01:10 AM »
Rode my bike to the grocery store. No petrol used, and less groceries purchased because I had to fit them into my basket as I forgot my backpack. Win!

Fruchtwein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Soon on the move to Rome, Italy.
    • Mein Cashflow
« Reply #2141 on: January 14, 2015, 04:20:06 AM »
I crashed my cellphone a few months ago (jumped in the pool) and need a new one - at least I thought. Until now I really didn't need one.

But earlier today I saw a nice smartphone for around 600.- EUR - as I had not enough money with me, I went home, reconsidered and spent all my money available on dividend stocks. So I couldn't buy this phone, even if I would like to. No money left.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2142 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:16 AM »
I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (it´s mostly P&G and L´oreal)... I would share but it´s a German site
Oh, do share. I don't buy a lot of stuff that ever gets vouchers but it's always good to check once in a while.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #2143 on: January 14, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
Cut DH's hair yesterday for the first time. I hope I get better at it. It looks OK, from a distance.

I'm not sure this technically counts as saving money TODAY, since that one haircut cost $80 if you divide the cost of the clippers by the number of haircuts so far.  :)

But really, I should just be glad DH suggested it. I think I'm starting to get through to him.

Marianne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2144 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
I found a site for cashback on so many products - washing powder, chewing gums, hair products, parfumes...love it and will definitely use it!!!! (it´s mostly P&G and L´oreal)... I would share but it´s a German site
Oh, do share. I don't buy a lot of stuff that ever gets vouchers but it's always good to check once in a while.

Actually, there are more of them, but I like especially this one because of the sections on the right: http://www.sparwelt.de/gratis
This is my favorite section: http://www.sparwelt.de/kategorien/apotheke-und-drogerie/gratis
Maybe I will try some cheese from this one: http://www.sparwelt.de/kategorien/essen-und-trinken/gratis

Do you know this one? It´s also good, but imo not so well structured: http://www.monsterdealz.de/

My savings today... I cooked lentils for tommorow, cheap and healthy lunch.
And I got some money back from my private medical insurance, I immediately transfered it to the saving account.
Got some interesting offers concerning my side job which will bring me quite a lot of extra money.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:30:07 PM by Marianne »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2145 on: January 14, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Double batch of beef stew going with meat that was thawing in the back of the fridge that I almost forgot about!

Chicken barley soup going in crockpot for tomorrow's lunch or dinner. Might try to make some bread tomorrow.

Furnace turned off during the day.

Not feeling the frugal thing today, so the best thing I can do is stay home! haha!

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #2146 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:03 PM »
same thing i do every mon/wed. ;) 
worked from home, so no commuting costs or time.  ate a homemade breakfast.  ate a homemade lunch.

yesterday in the office, i scored a free Jimmy Johns Beach Club sandwich from the lunch room, leftover/extra from a business meeting.   :)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2147 on: January 14, 2015, 07:05:08 PM »
Walked over to doc's office to get my stitches out.

Thought about going out to lunch, came home and ate grits.

Researched a way to get medication cheaper.  Turns out they sell it by the pill and a 15 mg pill costs the same as a 7.5.  I will save $14.00 every three months by biting them in half. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2148 on: January 14, 2015, 07:08:14 PM »
Walked over to doc's office to get my stitches out.

Thought about going out to lunch, came home and ate grits.

Researched a way to get medication cheaper.  Turns out they sell it by the pill and a 15 mg pill costs the same as a 7.5.  I will save $14.00 every three months by biting them in half.

We do that! Hubby's blood pressure dropped when he went onto dialysis and they wanted to halve his BP medication. We are still using the old prescriptions as the (subsidised) cost is the same for 28 tablets regardless of the strength, so we cut the old ones in half and the packet lasts twice as long.

Be careful with this though, some tablets come with an enteric coating meaning that breaking them up affects the way they are processed by the body.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #2149 on: January 15, 2015, 02:56:48 AM »
Opened up my car's passenger side door panel and lubricated all moving parts - manual window mechanism and door lock/slide mechanism - and put everything back in. Love the way it all works so smoothly now! Also lubed all hinges and doors slide like a hot knife in butter.