Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020588 times)

Nangirl17

• Stubble
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3900 on: July 25, 2015, 06:49:30 PM »
I reread this entire thread, "What small things did you do TODAY to save money?" and collected the basic themes and ideas from the first 78 pages.

Awesome! You just saved me a bunch of time!! Thanks!!

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #3901 on: July 25, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »
I tried out a tip and loved it: I tried using hair conditioner (dollar store) instead of shaving cream for shaving my legs. It works like a dream, and now I have a use for all those bottles of conditioner that were going unused!!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3902 on: July 25, 2015, 08:44:30 PM »
I tried out a tip and loved it: I tried using hair conditioner (dollar store) instead of shaving cream for shaving my legs. It works like a dream, and now I have a use for all those bottles of conditioner that were going unused!!

I just use the bar of soap that's already in the shower .. I'm 48, so that's quite a few years of shaving my legs successfully :-) (I'm using Dorco razors, btw, and they're great!).

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3903 on: July 25, 2015, 10:14:59 PM »
Decided to swing by Sally's Beauty Supply and pick up hair dye, developer, and brush to do it myself at least for this 6 week cycle as opposed to spending around $60-80 bucks to have it professionally done like I have been doing since January. My job pissed me off this week and I refocused me a bit where I have been slacking. Considering also dropping our phone plans to WIFI only for awhile, but need a good offline GPS solution first.

I harvested some more blueberries from my patio and picked a good amount of wild blackberries. We'll eat them tomorrow for breakfast as crepe filling. Leftovers will be turned into crisp or frozen. I think. IDK. Last week, I took what I got and made a thick syrup for pancakes, ice cream topping, and roll filling. I froze that and look forward to enjoying in a month or so after fresh berry season ends. I made spaghetti/pizza sauce from scratch today from some roma tomatoes and fresh basil that had to be used like yesterday. I had enough for dinner tonight and probably 2 more meals.

I logged into my AMEX to make a payment and found I had been awarded my $100 signup bonus, that was super fast so yay.

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #3904 on: July 26, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »
* Cut some tall green grass in a ditch with a machete for a nice free treat for my equines.

Granted it's only 10am my time, but this is the most badass thing I've read today.

Thanks! Although I admit I was a little concerned the local law enforcement would drive by while I was swinging it around. "Here we go again. Another meth-head with a machete."

I've read farming scythes are great for cutting grass and less stressful on the back than most weed eaters. Although I would imagine swinging around a Grim Reaper style garden tool in public would prompt just as many questions as a machete.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3905 on: July 26, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »
Basenji, thanks for compiling that, what an awesome list!

Yesterday I used a $15 off a purchase coupon from Sports Authority to buy a $20 butane camp stove.  I'd been looking at $50-100 2-burner stoves, but really didn't need two burners.  This one will be perfect for making coffee or heating up a simple meal, and it was $5.29 out the door.

Today - I'm going to take one more go and snaking our clogged kitchen drain before calling the plumber.  The clog is way down there unfortunately, and it's somehow more clogged after I worked at it yesterday, but I hate to admit defeat.

Rather than making a special trip to the grocery and feed stores today, I'll "shop" my garden for vegetables this afternoon, make up a minimal shopping list, and grab the few things we actually need on the way home from work tomorrow instead.

Will not using the clogged sink as an excuse to go out to eat tonight. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3906 on: July 26, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »
I line-dry our washing but it obviously takes longer that way, and if we're away for a weekend it can be hard to catch up.

So whenever we visit my family my mum says 'bring your washing!'

This weekend I took home all our washing, put three loads through their machine, and got to chat to my mum in the sun while we pegged. :)

They're planning a combined family garage sale so I immediately said I would be in on that - get rid of more clutter and maybe make a couple of dollars. I will offer to do the posters/promo of said sale to ensure we get a decent crowd.

And we brought home a selection of cake and biscuits and fruit that she insisted we take, so that is work snacks covered for this week.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3907 on: July 26, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
*Bought 2 boxes of sale garbage bags - a necessary evil.

*Made a big smoothie for a snack with frozen fruit from farm earlier this year, and some fresh peaches and blueberries. Almond milk and coconut water - and a scoop of protein powder. I was starving while we were out but resisted the urge and waited until we got home -- felt stoic!

*Hung up laundry to dry.

*Used up lots of veggies to make a colourful salad for lunch today

*Making adult son his lunch so he doesn't go buy lunch tomorrow (he's away on a trip until late tonite)

*Listening to radio

*Reading library books -- I have 50 books and dvd's on order that will trickle in over the next few months. I never thought 50 holds wouldn't be enough -- I should add that to the Mustachian People Problems thread! I was cut off by the library!

*Picked up 2 free books for prizes for my husband and I won in the Adult Summer Reading Club at our library

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3908 on: July 27, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
Just set up our account for natural gas at the new house. Compared prices carefully to choose the cheaper supplier, set up direct debit for the account for a perpetual 10% discount, AND they were running a promotion so I will receive a $50 Bunnings (Aus version of Home Depot) voucher which will be used within a month or two.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3909 on: July 27, 2015, 01:31:13 AM »
Just set up our account for natural gas at the new house. Compared prices carefully to choose the cheaper supplier, set up direct debit for the account for a perpetual 10% discount, AND they were running a promotion so I will receive a $50 Bunnings (Aus version of Home Depot) voucher which will be used within a month or two.

Nicely done for the Mustachian win!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3910 on: July 27, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
I've read farming scythes are great for cutting grass and less stressful on the back than most weed eaters. Although I would imagine swinging around a Grim Reaper style garden tool in public would prompt just as many questions as a machete.

I have used one before (country boy here).  Keep it sharp and they do a great job on tall grass.  There are not good for small or tight spaces though.  You need room to swing.

Wear a black cloak and a skull mask to really get the neighbors talking!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3911 on: July 27, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Heading for it being a no-spend day today.

Yesterday evening, went to pub quiz, paid for the quiz (€2.50) and just bought one drink (€4 for a pint of sparkling water - I don't like not spending any money on drink so will always buy at least one. Although I'm friends with the people who run the pub at this stage and they wouldn't really mind, it is their business and they have to make a living, too). For my second drink I just got tap water (which they don't charge for). I didn't drink anything more than that as I was having a fast day yesterday so it was easy to decline offers to be included in the rounds others were buying. I left immediately when the quiz was over and went straight home, resisting the temptation to stop and eat something. So a win for my finance and a win for my fasting efforts. And I won the raffle and ended up getting a nice t-shirt. Another few weeks of fasting and it'll probably even fit properly!

Money Mouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3912 on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Over the last couple days -

Went to Costco and finally made the plunge to buy 10 lbs organic flour and 10 lbs organic sugar, going to start doing way more of my own baking again (in fairness, I stopped baking last winter because I couldn't juggle a chronically sick hubby and  occasionally sick toddler with full time work and part time college. Something had to give, and it was baked goods from scratch). While I was there, I switched to bulk Kirkland coffee vs. the $10 per not-even-1lb-can Trader Joe coffee I used to drink - not quite as good but still a decent cup at less than half the cost.

Harvested some zucchini and yellow squash from the home garden, along with some pickle sized cukes. The zucchini/squash will get chopped/blanched/frozen for later soups and side dishes and the pickles will get...well...pickled!

Made a pan of lasagna for dinner last night and will make a pan of chicken enchiladas for tonight, leftovers earmarked for lunches for DH and I later this week. Also making a H-U-G-E batch of crock-pot "refried" beans to go with dinner tonight (and lunches etc.) with the rest getting divided up and frozen for use on future Taco Tuesdays. This is my 1st try making my own RF beans, recipe doesn't even call for soaking beans first so it was super easy and I'm looking forward to how it turns out!  They certainly smell good (I work from home FT so using the crock pot means smelling what I'm cooking for dinner all day!).

Canceled Sunday newspaper subscription. Might be a savings wash since I won't get the coupon inserts any longer, but haven't found consistent coupons to use lately.  But that's $60 or so a year I know I won't spend, and it's a lot less work than clipping coupons!

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3913 on: July 27, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
No car, no bus, no spending today. Finished a knitted scarf for the BF, just finishing up the hat now. Did some reading, listening to music, fixing new lights in our wall closet. Revelled at so much space we have available to just the two of us (in a 2BR1B house).
Cooked dinner from scratch, had leftover lunch. Hung laundry up to dry inside.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3914 on: July 27, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Had a quarter of a jar of cream and some baby spinach to use up last night, so I made colcannon to go with our chicken skewers. Leftovers for lunch today.

I've been saving a friend money by collecting plastic grocery bags for her to use as nappy bags. We try to stick to cloth but I just rounded up a stash from my work kitchen.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3915 on: July 27, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
Used a menstrual cup instead of disposable tampons. I've been doing this a few months now but still find the savings and convenience amazing.

Used home eggs, green onions and pattypan squash from the garden for dinner.

Chopped off two hunks of my hair and then did some refining snips. Looks OK to me, although I admit insecurity about this since most of the female population believes it necessary spend hundreds or thousands annually on hair cuts, colors and blow dries.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3916 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
I just remembered I have fresh corn and zucchini that needs to be used up, and I have a hankering for the fritters my mum used to make out of leftover veg, so that's my plan for dinner tonight.

My husband's mild aversion to hippie leftovers (as he calls them) will be silenced by being served something he gets to dip in chilli sauce. :D

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #3917 on: July 27, 2015, 08:19:01 PM »
Used a menstrual cup instead of disposable tampons.

Disposable tampons and pads are one of the biggest wide scale scams ever. Women use those because the big companies have the money to sponsor "how to deal with your period" videos in every 5th grade classroom in America, and the cup folks can't get their information to young girls or into health classes. We need a team of subversive young activists to tape info sheets about menstrual cups on the inside of every bathroom stall door!

My day:
Roasted 10 lbs of chicken breasts all at once, tomorrow I'll run it through our slicer and freeze packs for lunch meat. At 1.49/lb it's cheaper and healthier than meat from the deli, and doing it at once meant I only had to turn on the stove once.

Mashed and strained blackberries I picked in the woods in preparation for making them into jam tomorrow.

Did a small grocery run on the bike, it was a no driving day.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #3918 on: July 28, 2015, 12:25:41 AM »
I made a banner this weekend (to support family during a cycling event) with one can of 10-year old spray paint and one can of 20-year old spray paint. Both still worked perfectly fine!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3919 on: July 28, 2015, 12:51:17 AM »

I have used one before (country boy here).  Keep it sharp and they do a great job on tall grass.  There are not good for small or tight spaces though.  You need room to swing.

Wear a black cloak and a skull mask to really get the neighbors talking!

I have an old Craftsman sickle I found in a trash pile meant for the scrap-metal man. Love it and use it to harvest vacant-lot green weeds for my chickens.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3920 on: July 28, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
*Made an ice cream pail-full of spaghetti sauce for the freezer

*Made a double batch of granola - it became an ice cream pail for the cupboard for cereal and as a topping for yogurt that my kids like, and granola bars for the freezer

*Hung a load of laundry to dry

*Drinking tea from my stash - I have wayyyy to much!

*Didn't leave the house so didn't spend any money - including online!

*Keeping up to date on my expenses with my online budgeting program -- would love to have several months worth of data -- still don't really know how much it costs us to live

*Unplugging devices as soon as they are charged

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3921 on: July 28, 2015, 10:30:55 AM »
*  homemade food for the day packed and ready to keep me going all day
*  event tonight with expected snackage to get me through "dinner"
*  no money spent Saturday, Sunday or yesterday . . . and hopefully not today either (I am going for a new no-spend record . . . :)
*  put back a $20 fruit basket at Target (the fruit looks fine on the counter)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3922 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
*  no money spent Saturday, Sunday or yesterday . . . and hopefully not today either (I am going for a new no-spend record . . . :)

I'm rooting for you! Lunahsol, you have more no-spend days than anyone on this thread! Way to go! Let us know if you beat your record! Whoop! Whoop!

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3923 on: July 28, 2015, 12:44:29 PM »
I finally got serious about insurance shopping and switched my homeowners and auto to save 850 a year! Still hunting for decent rates on the rental properties. Any suggestions?

Also hung laundry out to dry and ate lunch at home. The usual.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3924 on: July 28, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
Visited Grocery Outlet today to buy assorted camping and motel food for our trip to Portland, OR next week.  We will eat out a couple of times because Portland is a great food destination but in between we will eat cheese and crackers and assorted cheap snacks. 

Downloaded two audio books from the library. 

Pushed the paperwork a little further forward for me to use the Hub's GI Bill money for a couple of fun classes at the local community college.  He doesn't want to use it and it will expire in a couple more years so I might as well spend it on a Music Class or two. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3925 on: July 28, 2015, 02:35:15 PM »
Picked up free expandable screens for our windows from the buy nothing group in my area.

Took some donations to goodwill and itemized and saved the receipt. I've never done that, always just dropped stuff off. My mom always told me "all the effort isn't worth it", so I just assumed it was a lot of work. (Face punches!)

Using up some free food I got as a result of helping someone move. About to make "fake hummus" using some hearts of palm. And there is a LOT of tuna in my future. Good problem to have, especially since it's the tasty costco albacore kind.

DH is going to trial taking lunch with him on his work trip out of town the next couple days. He's been resistant to this in the past, so hopefully it's a success! I'm making a big jug of iced yerba mate so he's less tempted by the bottled stuff.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3926 on: July 28, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
Sold my DS old school uniforms he outgrew for $40, which will go into the dental fund account.

Doing great giving up sugar (a few slip ups), which will reduce dental/medical bills overall

Found out I can pay off an upcoming major purchase by direct depositing money each fortnight (I can set it and forget it) - which works great for me.

Wanted a can of pop really badly yesterday, but girded my loins and drank tap water. Saved me $1 and built up my hard-ass-ness (its a word).

Found a rain slicker for DS for $3 (the back of a dusty old clearance rack. It will last him for a few years, then we can trade (as mine is massive anyway).

Agreed to take on a student teacher after initially not applying (it's only something like an extra $8 a day before taxes ($120 total), but it all adds up, and will help a new teacher on the way to their licence.

Free afternoon tea/dinner for the next two days as we have a late meeting today, and parent teacher interviews tomorrow. Everyone is groaning, but Im trying to see the good side!

Going into today with a great attitude. Surely that will save me a buck or two....?

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3927 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:36 PM »
I made a banner this weekend (to support family during a cycling event) with one can of 10-year old spray paint and one can of 20-year old spray paint. Both still worked perfectly fine!

Good to know, as I've rediscovered an 10+ year old spray paint can this week. Guess I don't have to toss it after all :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3928 on: July 28, 2015, 03:54:23 PM »
*A week ago, I started eating a primal/paleo diet based on Mark's Daily Apple and have been following it to the best of my ability using the website while I waited for the library book to come in ... took a whole week, but its here! I'm so glad I held myself in check, and didn't run out and buy the book (my usual M.O.)

*Was hungry while out (poor planning) but waited till I got home to make myself a protein shake.

*Hung another load of laundry - I've noticed that my racks hold exactly one load so I need to keep ahead of the laundry (organized!) and plan for one per day. Can't use my outdoor clothesline atm due to an injury.

*Checking my power usage on the company website to make sure we aren't leaking power anywhere.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #3929 on: July 28, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
Started trying to walk to work as much as possible.  It's about two miles and mostly flat with just one steep hill by my house that I can't avoid.  Walked 3 of the last 3 work days (I'm part time).

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3930 on: July 28, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
I dropped collision / comprehensive on our older cars and saved more than $200 /year.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3931 on: July 28, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
I am moving in a month, so I am eating up food I have around and doing all I can to use up and consolidate. 

I did a lot of cooking over the weekend with cupboard ingredients and fresh veggies from my bucket garden. 

I use mason jars for everything.  I rearranged contents this weekend so I can keep the old blue ones and pass on the newer ones to friends who can.  Also filling them.  Cocoa into one.  Corn starch in another.  I am going to move the jars anyway.  I might as well move them full instead of moving empty jars and grocery boxes! 

I have an old fabric softener bottle with a pump nozzle. So convenient. I am transitioning to using vinegar for softener and to using a launry mat. The pump bottle is so nice and surprisingly sturdy.  Any suggestions?  I am not keeping it for "someday" but it does seem so very useful! Would it be ridiculous to give it to the thrift shop instead of recycling it?  UGh.  I am thinking about this way too much.   

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3932 on: July 28, 2015, 05:58:16 PM »
Picked up the mail on the way to Walmart for the week's groceries and found the sav-a-lot flyer advertising grapes and nectarines at 99 cents a pound. Got Walmart to price match rather than driving 15 miles out of the way to go to Sav-a-lot. Plus restocked  the canned goods and got groceries for the week for $68.96 (including 32 lbs of cat food). Usually I'm closer to $80 a week.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:07:35 PM by Rural »

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3933 on: July 28, 2015, 06:26:38 PM »
Met a friend for coffee (plain, black coffee, which has always been my preference) instead of lunch. It still felt like an extravagance though, since I've been doing No Buy July.

Epry123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3934 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »
Not really money saving but I've been swapping half my
Lunches with a co worker. Kinda like a lunch lottery sometimes

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3935 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:32 PM »
Boss just announced a staff afternoon tea (company pays) so I can save some of my snacks for tomorrow.

Myer (Australian department store) just announced they are cutting 100 brands from their stores, so there is a big sale starting today. I texted my mum and we ordered half a dozen things, all heavily marked down, for family Christmas presents. (E.g. a merino jumper for my grandmother, marked down to $14.) Saved $155.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3936 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:12 AM »
My mum's fave skincare products were on 40% off sale so I grabbed them for her bday in a couple of months. Saved money and stress. Resisted the urge for takeaway even though I worked late and normally succumb.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3937 on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:05 AM »
Baking my usual apple crumble pie recipe, with wild picked blackberries and gooseberries from the backyard instead. More fun this way, and they're free ofcourse. I do expect it to be runnier than my usual pie, so added extra breadcrumbs to the bottom. Curious to see how it turns out, if it fails we'll just have a crumble (sans pie).

Having a friend over for dinner (and pie, obviously ;-)) instead of going out to eat. Doing that same trick with another group of friends I'm seeing this week.

Found out that Aldi's has over-the-counter ibuprofen for 60 cts a pack. Way cheaper than the pharmacy, where a package will go for about 4 euros.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3938 on: July 29, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
Well, I managed two no-spend days but today ended up a bit more expensive. Had to pick up bike (gears broke - it's only a three-gear bike and if it had broken stuck in 2nd I'd have left it but 3rd was too stiff for me :) ) so that was €21 gone. And then I went to the wool shop. I've been invited to a friend's 40th on Saturday at short notice. She's a very old friend but I haven't seen her for a few years. Decided to spend this evening and tomorrow evening knitting her something as a gift but didn't have enough of any particular wool to do what I wanted so I went to buy another couple of balls to use with what I do have. Luckily they do still have the same stuff and I did have a voucher so only had to pay €7 out of pocket. If it works out, that'll be a fairly reasonable price for a present, I think. The party is a barbeque in the garden and I've offered to bring a tomato tart since I know I'm getting tomatoes in my veg box tomorrow and have everything else on hand. And since it's on the weekend, my monthly train ticket will cover the cost to where my friend lives (about two hours away). She's 6km from the train station then but I'll go an hour earlier and walk there and consider it my usual weekend outing. Might be able to cadge a lift from someone coming back to the station. Anyway, money spent today but at least I've only spent on those two things and didn't end up stopping to buy food while I was out and about (walking past that sausage stand was sooo hard). And I'm not going out to meet people from choir this evening, since I'll need the time to be at home knitting. That €7 on wool is going to save me at least twice that on a meal and drinks. :)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3939 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
I use mason jars for everything.  I rearranged contents this weekend so I can keep the old blue ones and pass on the newer ones to friends who can.  Also filling them.  Cocoa into one.  Corn starch in another.  I am going to move the jars anyway.  I might as well move them full instead of moving empty jars and grocery boxes! 

Just wondering if you are using a moving company? Hubby's company moved us and hired the movers. we were NOT allowed to transport ANY food in glass jars. It took me an extra day of packing to empty and vaccume seal all my dry goods into bags and wash out the jars so I could move them.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3940 on: July 29, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »
No moving company. Hoping with all this consolidating I'll fit everything into two car loads (hence the money saving). Might not be possible but it will be close. Might enlist friends with a truck. Definitely just one truck load.

That would be so frustrating to have unpack and repack food like that and then again in a new place. 

Just wondering if you are using a moving company? Hubby's company moved us and hired the movers. we were NOT allowed to transport ANY food in glass jars. It took me an extra day of packing to empty and vaccume seal all my dry goods into bags and wash out the jars so I could move them.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3941 on: July 29, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
Over the last few weeks I've been trying to retrain my hair to work without using shampoo for hairwashing. My hair is fairly long - about 4 inches past my shoulders.  I was trying the baking soda solution followed by vinegar rinse, but my hair still looked dull and lifeless.

I have a lot of pure essential oils left over from my more spendy days, and although I use the tea tree and lavender frequently, I have a few other types I wasn't using up. I decided to use a couple of drops of rosemary essential oil applied with damp hands at the rinsing stage and just skip the baking soda and vinegar.

My hair looks and feels much better today. I hope it continues to improve.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3942 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
* this is from last week but got a free stroller for our toddler from a neighbor. She put it out on that street (her kids are preteens) and was thrilled that we wanted it. Ours was stolen last winter and we haven't felt like buying a new one, but sometimes our 2yo is just wiped out and strollers are grand for that.

* went back to the grocery store after reviewing receipt and got back $22.18.  One clearance item was charged full-price and one bulk item had the wrong PLU (my fault)

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #3943 on: July 29, 2015, 06:28:18 PM »
I have over 7k in my checking account, but I'm not spending a DIME until Saturday. I've paid off all my debt, but now I'm going to have to starting investing my monthly excess. YNAB is very effective.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: July 29, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
About to use up another lip balm (I usually have a couple on the go, one in my bag, one in my coat pocket, one in the bathroom, etc).

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

I can keep each lip balm going for another week by doing this.

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3945 on: July 30, 2015, 05:29:15 AM »
Yesterday, I listed several items on Ebay for sale.   I also had lunch at home, but I caved and got a take out salad for dinner.
The day before, I picked up some part-time work that I'm very excited about for fall. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3946 on: July 30, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »
Started baby shopping at garage sales.  It's too early for me to really want to be shopping, but by the time it is when I planned on doing it, garage sale season will be over.

Paid $10 for 20 different newborn and 3-month old sleepers/winter one-pieces. 

Paid $20 for 5 swaddles and sleep sacks. These brands retail for $20 each.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3947 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:47 AM »
Heading for another no-spend day today, although it was very difficult when my colleague announced she was going out to the post office. I so badly wanted to give her money to buy me some chocolate in the supermarket on the way back. But I resisted (and we're kind of reinforcing each other at the moment so since I didn't get sweets, she didn't smoke - she's four days in to not smoking and it was the first afternoon where she really, really wanted one so that was a good outcome all round).

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3948 on: July 30, 2015, 01:05:46 PM »
About to use up another lip balm (I usually have a couple on the go, one in my bag, one in my coat pocket, one in the bathroom, etc).

It's wound up all the way but there is still product left in the cavity. So I use my (and later a cotton bud) to scoop it out and apply it.

I can keep each lip balm going for another week by doing this.

I do something similar with lotion.  I have a bottle on my night stand, in my office desk and next to the recliner.  When the level is too low for the pump, I cut the bottle in half and use the remnants.  It lasts for at least another week.

jordanread

« Reply #3949 on: July 30, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
I just read RootOfGood's Eating Our Way Across Mexico post and didn't eat anything while reading it!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!