Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020643 times)

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1700 on: October 27, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
Made a slow cooker pot of African peanut soup using tomatoes from our garden.  Total cost $2.70 for about 4 servings.

Reused a large plastic bag for the big block of cheddar DH bought.

Ate leftover homemade tortilla chips (tortillas cut into triangles, then fried) with homemade buffalo chicken dip for supper last night.  Served with the rest of a side salad I made for a Halloween pot luck the night before.

Amazingly, I have all of the ingredients for African peanut soup...plan on making it next weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration!

You're most certainly welcome!  Isn't this stuff great?  :D

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1701 on: October 27, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »
Technically late last night: Walked home from the airport! I got in after the last bus, and a 6-km walk was much nicer than a $30 cab ride.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #1702 on: October 27, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
Tried pump and glide hypermiling technique on commute today, and the prius got just over 57 miles per gallon, 5 better than I am usually able to do!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1703 on: October 27, 2014, 09:23:59 PM »
On Friday, I cut my own hair (couple of inches) using the ponytail technique. Didn't expect much, but it looked OK. Today, I got compliments from 4 people at work! This saves not only money but stress, because I HATE getting my hair cut but it looks lousy with no styling.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1704 on: October 27, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Made a large batch of applesauce with the remaining apples in the 40 lb box I bought a few weeks ago. It was delicious!

Made a beef stew with some of the side of beef I bought today. No meat purchases necessary till this time next year -- I have a side of beef and 40 chickens in my freezer :-) Ok, well maybe the occasional ham, bacon and fish!

Gathered kids laundry up to combine with mine to make a full load. Washed on cold setting.

Put on a sweater and drank a cup of tea instead of turning up the thermostat. Funny, it worked! I'm toasty now! Who knew?! haha

Daughter boiled eggs for her lunch for tomorrow.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1705 on: October 27, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »
Ours is getting pretty bad too and needs to be changed.  How long did it take?  Did you go on youtube for tutorials?

All told it was about two hours. That includes removing and replacing the stacked dryer. Yes, videos and manuals on line were very helpful, mainly to find the tricks for taking it apart. Take a picture of where all the wires go so you have an easy reference.

I replaced the door lock a few years ago and that took five minutes flat, exactly the same amount of time it took in the video I watched. The control board was more involved but not really more difficult. Having the right tools helps of course (mainly some stubby screwdrivers that allowed me to work on the back without sliding it out from the alcove it's in).

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1706 on: October 28, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Saved some unappetizing raspberries last night by converting them into tasty jam; got about 12 oz of raspberry-lime tastiness. Tactic I learned from my sister.

flashpacker

• Stubble
« Reply #1707 on: October 28, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
downgraded my internet connection. I'd been told I'd lose my new customer discount if I did this, but I actually didn't. They applied it to the new plan. w00t! And, I found out they'd increased the speed of the next plan down from the one I had, so I am still getting a super fast speed.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1708 on: October 28, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »
Spent half an hour phoning around to check on a chiropractor bill.  Sure enough they had not recorded a check that the bank said they cashed.  Saved $40.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1709 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »
Made a fall squash soup from a butternut squash that had been languishing on the counter for weeks. Its quite yummy...will be interesting to see what the kids think of it. Has apple juice and curry powder in it.

Got dish scrubby things at Dollar Store instead of grocery store.

Turning off lights around the house all day long. Kids keep leaving them on (homeschoolers).

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1710 on: October 28, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
Turned the house from 18C to 17C.  So far, no one else noticed and it's still quite comfortable, so long as you wear slippers and a sweater.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1711 on: October 28, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »
Turned off the in-ceiling ventilation system.  In our climate it's better for winter-use, and we're just mid-Spring transition here. 

I'm trying to track down what is using all the power.  We've got a smart meter, and I can see on our utility's website that we're using about 23kwh per day.  I know in our last house we used about 16 to 18 on days we didn't use the heat-pumps, so I'm not sure what the difference is.  It's a bigger house, with waaaay more lights, but hot water isn't an electricity expense in this house (it's gas), so theoretically our usage should actually be lower.  Hopefully the recently discovered heated towel rail in the guest bathroom, plus the ventilation system is the bulk of the answer, otherwise it will take more intense sleuth work.

Left my wallet at home so wasn't able to buy anything to contribute to the joint afternoon tea at homeschool meetup this afternoon.  While not being ideal, there was no shortage of food, and it saved us a few dollars.  Mustn't make a habit of it, however.  (am too disorganised and pregnancy-tired to consistently bake at the moment, although that is my preferred option)

gopackgo2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1712 on: October 29, 2014, 05:43:04 AM »
Got our weekly "energy usage report" email yesterday - saved 46% last week over previous week!  I'm pretty sure this savings came from turning off my electric oven at the breaker (and using a toaster oven instead) and line drying clothes instead of using the dryer. 

Nice to see that paid off (especially since I came home from work yesterday with a migraine and ended up ordering in hot wings because I couldn't face the salmon and broccoli I had planned) :( 

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: October 29, 2014, 06:32:55 AM »
Didn't feel like cooking dinner last night so I had oatmeal. It was actually really good; I will add it to my line up of "no cook night" meals. Maybe add some almonds next time for protein.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1714 on: October 29, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »
Had to buy a few things at IKEA. Borrowed a pickup from family instead of renting (paid $20 to family instead of $100 to rent).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1715 on: October 29, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
I got my Geico bill and they'd ratcheted my 6 month premium up by another $20, so I hopped onto Progressive's website and bought a new policy with higher deductibles and dropped my premium by $120/6 months.  I'll check back with Geico in a couple months and see if they'll entice me back with a better rate, since they do offer horse trailer insurance and Progressive doesn't (I'm paranoid about theft because it's pretty easy to steal a parked trailer).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1716 on: October 29, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »
I got my Geico bill and they'd ratcheted my 6 month premium up by another $20, so I hopped onto Progressive's website and bought a new policy with higher deductibles and dropped my premium by $120/6 months.  I'll check back with Geico in a couple months and see if they'll entice me back with a better rate, since they do offer horse trailer insurance and Progressive doesn't (I'm paranoid about theft because it's pretty easy to steal a parked trailer).

True fact, but if there are a lot of trailers around, a hitch lock will make yours more of a pain in the ass to steal than the next guy's.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1717 on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:44 AM »
Added a lonely zucchini picked from our garden last week to the rutabaga before baking last night.  There remain several green tomatoes and bell peppers braving the cold...

Bought generic band aids instead of name brand.

Bought the cheapest-per-piece as possible Halloween goodies for the kiddos Friday night.  We receive a TON of Trick o' Treaters at our house.  200 is our max, then it's lights out.

Didn't go to the store's bakery section this morning to avoid temptation.

fitzgeralday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1718 on: October 29, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
Researched how to make my own chai tea lattes - yum!  http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Made-Chai-Latte/

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #1719 on: October 29, 2014, 01:44:05 PM »
called my insurance to make sure a claim had been re-billed.  It had been, but nothing had been refunded.  So I called the clinic, they had to research it...... "oh, yeah, there is a credit....  well, hmm,  I'll have to submit a request for a credit"  I'll still have to keep an eye on them to make sure the correct amount gets refunded.    Another provider automatically refunded an over-payment, and that claim was paid 2 weeks after the other clinic.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1720 on: October 29, 2014, 01:51:27 PM »
Lunch:  Homemade bread with peanut butter and homemade canned apple jelly.  Side of grapes on sale.  I continue to try to drink water regularly at work, and resist bringing in coke for lunch.

Calculated I should not buy a commuter rail pass for the month of October, but buy day trips for the 9 days instead, use my husband's monthly pass for the 4 days he'll be at a conference, enjoy Nov. 11 holiday train free, and my vacation train free.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1721 on: October 29, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »
I cut my hair for the first time.  I think it looks pretty good too.

I packed a lunch from dinner leftovers from two meals.  The dishes meshed well. 

Tonight I have a long list of cooking that I need to get done.  Usually my bulk cooking is done on the weekend, but we were busy working on the house/packing. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1722 on: October 29, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »
Hung out a load of laundry in the cool sunshine.

Made a beef roast in the crockpot from my freezer and have homemade buns rising for beef dip. Will add a coleslaw at mealtime.

Went to the dentist for a semi-annual cleaning...keeping up with these is like preventative maintenance.

Made homemade slurpees for my kids and neighbourhood kids. Practically free with Winco's 10 cent packets of koolaid. Quite unhealthy, yes, but a treat for the gang.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1723 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »

True fact, but if there are a lot of trailers around, a hitch lock will make yours more of a pain in the ass to steal than the next guy's.

Yep, I have one of those hitch locks, but it's of no use if I don't use it.  Thanks for the reminder!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1724 on: October 31, 2014, 01:26:19 PM »
Grumpy day today. Rather than depend on an expensive, bad-for-me lunch out to boost my mood, I came home for lentil soup and a ham sandwich, then had a couple of cups of mint tea. I'm still grumpy, but at least I didn't waste any money.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1725 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:52 PM »
I was so tired and wanted to take the bus to work, but forced myself to ride my bike instead.

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1726 on: October 31, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Charged my cell phone at work. Let them pay the electric bill. Also drank free work coffee. it is horrible, but makes my coffee at home on the weekends taste a ton better in comparison.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1727 on: October 31, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »
I researched replacement batteries and factory resets for my 2 year old Galaxy S3 so that I can better resist the temptation to buy a new phone over the Black Friday sales coming up in a month.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1728 on: October 31, 2014, 03:26:19 PM »
Walked 40 minutes to drop off my ballot rather than spend $0.70 to put it in the mail.  As a bonus a got a free "I voted" sticker!

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #1729 on: October 31, 2014, 04:13:03 PM »
I researched replacement batteries and factory resets for my 2 year old Galaxy S3 so that I can better resist the temptation to buy a new phone over the Black Friday sales coming up in a month.

I have a two year old S3 as well and the battery would not last through the work day. I did some research and got these batteries yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHDLR4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I charged one of the batteries and installed it around 8pm last night. So far i'm at 20 hours 9 minutes and still have 46% battery left. Much much better than the battery life I was getting with the stock battery. You get a second battery to boot so you can switch them out.

Back on topic. Even though I technically got the batteries yesterday these should extend the life of my cell phone for a little longer and keep me from spending money on a new phone.

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1730 on: October 31, 2014, 04:24:47 PM »

I have a two year old S3 as well and the battery would not last through the work day. I did some research and got these batteries yesterday: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHDLR4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I charged one of the batteries and installed it around 8pm last night. So far i'm at 20 hours 9 minutes and still have 46% battery left. Much much better than the battery life I was getting with the stock battery. You get a second battery to boot so you can switch them out.

Back on topic. Even though I technically got the batteries yesterday these should extend the life of my cell phone for a little longer and keep me from spending money on a new phone.

Thanks Jim, I was in the process of doing the very same thing.

Now just got to find out if Amazon will ship it down under!

Nancy

« Reply #1731 on: November 01, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »
Patched our flannel bottom sheet that had three tears in it. My husband has had the sheets for 15 years. So comfy.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1732 on: November 01, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »
Signed up for the free month of KindleUnlimited.  I have been saving it until I needed a distraction and I am currently having a lot of dental work.  Reread three old favorites that I got there yesterday while recovering from the most recent procedure.  Needless to say, I will cancel at the end of the month. 

xylophone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1733 on: November 01, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »
First post - please be gentle!

Still not got the heating on - having an unusually warm Autumn in the UK.
Resisted the coffee shop and we had latté and mocha at home for pennies.
Signed up to MMM for free knowledge, information, inspiration and humour (loved the TP thread)!

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1734 on: November 01, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
My husband backed into someone else's car today.  Obviously we will pay for the repair to the other vehicle, but for our own, I googled DIYs and found this simple boiling water trick.  Given the age of our car and $0 cost of the attempted fix, I figured it was worth a try.

Turned out not bad!  Paint is still scratched, but given that this is a 2005 Matrix, I'm okay with that.

A new bumper cover would have been at least $200 + installation, so at least I don't have to worry about our vehicle.

The dent to the other vehicle is much smaller and it is equally old, but I'm sure the owner will want it fixed, so that will still cost, but at least we saved some money on our own.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1735 on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »
If anyone has a good recipe for candied orange peel, I would be glad to have it.

I don't have a good recipe (I just cut 'em in strips, boil in two changes of water, then simmer in thick syrup and eventually roll in sugar and let somewhat-dry).

Mostly I posted to say that these are also awesome chopped up into green salads. The Ottolenghi books have quite a few recipes where you intensely flavour chopped fruit (e.g., simmer dried dates in balsamic) and add it to veg dishes.

Also, orange peels have as much vitamin C as the orange's flesh! Free nutrients!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1736 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:54 AM »
Rather than drive, I biked to the hardware store to pick up a 5L can of paint. 

It's for painting the big (cheap) cement planters we bought to contain the huge palm trees we just received for free.

I enlisted my son to help paint.  As we waxed on and waxed off, he dreamt out loud of painting for money saying, "we could be paid for doing something we enjoy!"  He judged himself to be quite skilled.  (I only had to go clean up about 80% of his work). BUT!  He didn't splatter.  So he is, indeed, more skilled than many.  Maybe someone would pay him.  Methinks he needs a few more lessons first. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1737 on: November 02, 2014, 05:29:41 AM »
It's gotten pretty cold out already. SO and I just moved and the gas has yet to be turned on (installed on Tuesday). We've survived. Indoor temp has dropped to 64 (would be a lot wors if we weren't in an apartment building). So 7 days with no heat makes us badass

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1738 on: November 02, 2014, 05:52:29 AM »
Boyfriend wants to go to MEC to buy bike lights.  I said that we could go for him but that I can source some for $10 on kijiji.

I love him but I'm glad we don't live together and never will.  I would have been in one of those fighting couples for the last seven years if we lived together.

Sometimes it seems so strange because since we started dating, he's become spendier.  His income has increased but it's still less than mine.  I guess he will return to his formally frugal ways if he feels he needs to.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1739 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
Yesterday - after running my half marathon, I had two cups of the free (and delicious!) coffee and some food at the after-race party instead of the big mocha I usually treat myself to.

Stopped by the feed store on my way home from the race instead of making a separate trip.  Bought a cheaper brand of chicken feed that's $3 less per bag, and used a $10 off coupon, so one bag was almost free.

Instead of turning on the heat when we got home to a 58 degree house, built the first fire of the year, which was much cozier than just flipping on the heat anyway.

Got off my butt and cleaned the inside of my car after talking about paying the car wash near work to do it.

MySweets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1740 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:11 AM »
Returned a Groupon item for a wide pet gate and repositioned my dog's food container so that the old baby gate we've had for 6 years now will still fit.

Remapped my route to work to avoid all tolls.

Re-plugged electronics into power strips so I can turn them off when not in use.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1741 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
Raked and bagged the leaves in my yard yesterday. Even though my back is killing me today, at least I saved the $80 that a guy on Kijiji wanted to do it.

Got out the crockpot and some chicken thighs that have been in the freezer for who knows how long. That will be dinner for the next few nights.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #1742 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Friends were going for coffee at Starbucks.  Initially, I was going to bike there and just get a tall bold ($2 or so).  But then they decided to go to a Starbucks 15 km from me (instead of 6 km).  Rather than getting a drive there and spending money on the coffee, I just declined.  I didn't want to bike 30 km, because then I knew I would get hungry and probably end up buying food, and I didn't want to spend the money to drive there.

We haven't used our car at all this weekend, though we will have to use it tonight for swimming, but it's all four members of the family, and we will also tuck a couple of errands in the trip, so it will be efficient.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1743 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »
Went to a friend's house for the weekend, and before we left I moved all of the leftovers from the fridge to the freezer, now I'm all set for food for 2 days without spending extra.  Love not wasting!

Nancy

« Reply #1744 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »
I repatched my jeans making them wearable once again. They are so soft. I can't quit them. I also patched my gardening jeans and my new jeans that started getting the bicycle seat tear after only a few months. Weak sauce.

colganc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1745 on: November 02, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
After getting my haircut, I didn't schedule another visit.  My self haircutting tools already arrived and later this month I will cut my own hair.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1746 on: November 02, 2014, 07:23:35 PM »
After getting my haircut, I didn't schedule another visit.  My self haircutting tools already arrived and later this month I will cut my own hair.
Bada$$!  I just started cutting my hair myself.  It looks pretty good.  It saves time and is free!

Today I cooked a batch of food for the week.  I made green smoothies for breakfasts, hard boiled eggs for snacks, cooked a few sweet potatoes for lunches, and cooked a large serving of rice to serve with our dinners.  I also brewed a large batch of tea that is cooling in the fridge. 

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1747 on: November 02, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
Burned candles that I got as gifts to heat the house an additional degree instead of increasing the heat.  That meant three candles were used up and are no longer cluttering up the house. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1748 on: November 02, 2014, 09:41:09 PM »
We needed to create order out of chaos in the home office/library, so I shopped at a consignment store. They had a  good size bookcase that looked like IKEA, so I looked it up on line and sure enough, it was an Ikea Kallax. Get this, the consignment store wanted more ($199) than IKEA did for a brand new one ($139)! I measured the space and decided I needed two. I checked Craigslist and found a guy selling two, plus a bunch of drawer and cabinet inserts. Except when I called him, he only had one left. So I searched CL again and found another of the same one. After a bit of juggling, I bought 2 bookcases, and 7 cabinet/drawer inserts from two different people in two different towns. Odd factoid: both were moving to the D.C. area. Anyway, instead of $458 new from Ikea, I spent $230 on almost as good as new. So not exactly cheap, but still a good deal for not a lot of extra effort. And yes, we used our paid-for truck to pick it up today (Sorry, MMM). Since DH walks to work, I have no worries about driving on the weekends when we need to.

MountainGal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1749 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
Instead of kicking up the heat while getting ready for work this morning, I toughed it out.

Warmed up leftover coffee from yesterday instead of making a fresh pot.

Brought a fresh tomato from our garden for this afternoon's snack.

My Credit Karma FICO score increased 10 points because I paid my credit card bill off in full last month.  :D