Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2369645 times)

MountainGal

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #1600 on: October 06, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
Soup currently in the crock pot:  Dried red potato mix (FREE!), a can of pinto beans (bought with a coupon), chicken broth (50 cents a can), cabbage (stretched out one head into 3 different recipes).

Last night I used free floss and mouthwash from our dentist.

Saved (and washed!) the ace bandage from my surgery to add to our first aid kit.

Had yesterday's leftover homemade mocha java this morning.

Encouraged DH to ask that his 401K be increased to the max after today's benefits meeting at his work.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: October 06, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »
Also making applesauce, like Threshkin above, but my apples were purchased -- no free source :-/

Big banana box (about 35 pounds) was 50 cents a pound. Will force myself to go back and buy another box as soon as I get through processing this one. So nice to have a big bowl of delicious (cheap!) applesauce in the middle of winter, so I know I won't regret putting in the time. Trying to stay positive, and not complainypants, about putting food away for winter.

Making pancakes for lunch for the kids and I, topping will be some of the warm applesauce we just made. Recipe from http://www.sixfiguresunder.com This pancake mix is SO tasty -- all you add is an egg and 3/4 cup of milk per cup of mix. So handy! It fits perfectly in the VERY large pickle jar from Costco (American Costco).  I wrote the directions on the jar so that any of my older teens could make a tiny batch for themselves.

Drinking a delicious cup of Earl Grey tea in my favourite mug!

Hung a load of laundry out in the sunshine. Poor weather coming, so grabbing these sunny days while I can!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1602 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
Packed a cooler with lentils, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, canned tuna, coffee, homemade kombucha  and bunches of garden produce and brought it along on my work trip.  Hotel has a fridge and microwave, so I ought to be able to avoid almost restaurants and throw my per diem check at my car loan instead.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1603 on: October 07, 2014, 03:01:32 AM »
I'm going to make a big batch of something today to eat for the rest of the week, maybe veg chilli.

mbl

• Stubble
« Reply #1604 on: October 07, 2014, 06:47:40 AM »
This past weekend picked the last of the tomatoes from our garden and cold pack canned them.

Made sauce with what was leftover.

Grilled up turkey burgers(with spinach and feta) for the week.

Picked apples from our trees for eating.  Have a lot of applesauce already canned.

DH split more wood...almost have 11 face cord but will continue to split as much as possible before the really cold weather is here.

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1605 on: October 07, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
Sipping on some Chai made from homemade concentrate
Dehydrating some (bought on sale) sweet potato for dog treats - 1 large potato = 3 month supply
Crockpot of chicken scraps cooking for stock
Going through a decluttering process in case we move, found some useful things I had forgotten we had and were thinking about buying.
Working on some aromaptherapy Christmas presents which I am trading for some bad-ass retro gaming crochet for my gift giving.
Dinner will be homemade naan, rice and butter chicken, which will give us leftovers for the rest of the week.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1606 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
Used up the remaining 1/4 cup corn meal and stale pork rinds to bread shrimp last night.

For my sister's birthday this weekend I am wrapping her presents in a gently used gift bag and tissue, and gifting her one of the bottles of wine I bought during an August excursion.

Brought leftovers here to work for a snack.

Planned meals out of the freezer for the rest of the week.  I do believe this new $200/mo for groceries and HBAs is sustainable, if planned very carefully.  :)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1607 on: October 07, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »
After a couple of months of paying $5.90 for weekly mailings between our two offices (client checks are sent to our main office in the southeast, but are processed here at our home in the northeast), I investigated a cheaper way.  We'll save a whole $2.54 per week, baby!

Small things, indeed.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1608 on: October 07, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
My 35 cent lunch

10 crackers 7cents (99 cent pkg/30 servings 5 crackers per serving)
2oz cheese  24 cents (8oz./99cents)
pot of tea  4 cents  (1/4 oz loose tea 5.99/35oz) Not quite fair since 1/4 oz lasts all day.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #1609 on: October 07, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »
Going to a wedding this weekend, packing for 3.5 hour train journey tomorrow, no food in the house... made onion bhajis with all the spices in the cupboard, flour, oil, water, butter n lemon, and heaps of onions. Wrapped them up, all ready to go.

No need to buy dinner or train food on my travels. Transportable goodness!

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1610 on: October 08, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
Found a container of wood hole drillers on the side of the road and gave them to DH.  He said he can use them.  Yay!

Using a Taco Bell mild sauce packet with lunch.  :D

Planning on making burritos from leftover chicken for tonight's supper.

Instead of me paying the postage, having one of the insurance companies send a information packet out to one of my clients.  Four keystrokes on the computer vs. $2+ postage.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: October 08, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
Packed my lunch.  I grabbed a few pieces of leftover pizza from the freezer for lunch.

We usually have 1-2 pieces of pizza leftover from pizza night.  Instead of putting it in the fridge and forgetting about it, I put it in the freezer.  The pieces were starting to pile up.  Today's lunch was a great way to empty out my freezer and pack my lunch quickly. 

I'm also drinking tap water from a reusable cup that I received free from work. 

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1612 on: October 08, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Making lunch out of the fridge for myself and kids.
Was tempted to hit up a drive thtu today since we have a busy afternoon ahead if us. Mustachianism wins again!

hdatontodo

• Stubble
« Reply #1613 on: October 08, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »
I sold a shredder and met at Wawa today. I took the $5 home instead of buying a milkshake.

I also have been buying the 4 for 5 Banquet frozen meals lately for my lunch while working at home.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1614 on: October 08, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Picked up an all cotton flannel pillow case for 97 cents with military discount at the Goodwill store.  I have been looking for one with a vivid print to make handkerchiefs. 

Spruit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1615 on: October 09, 2014, 04:04:32 AM »
Resisted the urge to get fries on the way home yesterday and cooked pasta instead. Saved a couple of euros and felt better for my health as well.
Made a batch of 5 liters laundry detergent / all purpose cleaner using a bar of grated soap and washing soda. Costs: 0.40 cts and some gas for heating it up.
Got some dartfrogs breeding by stimulating monsoon (heavy misting and feeding for the past week): now have 7 eggs in the incubater that will turn into 350€ worth of froglets in a few months if all goes well :).
Put some things up on the local freecycle to it a second life. Got some nice things that way in the past, so time to refill my karma ;)
First dry day this week, so put up some laundry outside (I'm on stand-by to run outside and snatch them of the line the second it starts raining. Don't you just love Dutch weather...).
Harvested some zucchini, pumpkins, chestnut and parsnips from my backyard and will turn that into some good and free autumn food.
Today is eating-from-the-fridge/cupboard day. So much leftovers waiting to be turned into something nice!
Yay, out of debt... now, GROW!
My '16/'17 journal

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1616 on: October 09, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
That is true with any car.  The first thing I do if my check engine light comes on is open and close tight the gas cap.  If the light is still on after another 100 km it is time to call my garage.  I have seen this with Jeeps, Subarus and Mazdas.

And it's not today but I'm thrilled so - MIL researched online our problem with the car's check engine light (doesn't seem that repairing things in the car turns it off).  She figured out which wire to disconnect and reconnect to temporarily reset the light so we could get the car inspected and have it pass (yay).  I'm afraid to say this and jinx it, but after having driven it approximately 200+ miles, it hasn't come back on so maybe it's also fixed...

Don't know if it's relevant to you but we learned after much running around that our Honda Civic's check engine light comes on whenever the gas cap isn't screwed on tight enough.  Something to do with the oxygen sensor.
The measure of civilization is how people treat one another.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario's-own-camp-mustache-2017/ - MEET US THERE!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1617 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
Cut a big sponge in half. Now I have twice as many.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

SweetTPie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1618 on: October 09, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
Cooked dried beans for the first time, so I can use them instead of canned beans.  Semi-successful; I need to figure out the pressure cooker, which was also a first for me.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: October 09, 2014, 09:42:25 AM »
Drinking microwaved leftover coffee.  Bread, made from Costco bulk flour, is rising.

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1620 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:40 AM »
Bought 3 750ml bottles of Rum for a net cost of $1.08 each.  The local liquor store had them on sale for $14.99 each and the manufacturer was offering a $45.00 rebate if you bought 3.  All I paid was the tax and a little time cost of money while I wait for the refund.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1621 on: October 13, 2014, 07:07:45 PM »
a) Cancelled my New York Times subscription today.

b) Have abstained from alcohol for 28 days...on my way to a 90 day era of cleanliness.
"Whatever the mind CAN conceive and believe, the mind CAN achieve." - N.H.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1622 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:52 PM »
Did not go to half price Columbus Day sale at Goodwill today.  There is nothing we need.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1623 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:07 AM »
1) Brought food from the fridge and pantry for road trip today.

2) Watched old "hi-8" tapes of when our oldest children were little -- 2 hours of free, gut-busting entertainment! Highly recommended!

3) Were on road trip and although we hadn't planned on it, we needed gas. Instead of filling the tank at the tourist area/expensive gas station, we just put in 20 bucks worth and will fill it at our usual cheap station near home.

4) Homemade soup for dinner.

Falconer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1624 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »
Worked from home and figured out a way how to sign documents on my tablet. Saving me a 200 km round trip to the office. So I only left the house to buy food. Might go and check out the gym next to my new building for a free gym session. Saves me driving to my regular gym.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #1625 on: October 14, 2014, 01:41:27 PM »
This past spring, I gave our neighbor a tomato plant still in the 36-spot seed starting tray.  It's windy and rainy today, causing all sorts of debris to blow around the neighborhood.  Saw the empty tray blowing across the yard, ran barefoot through the rain to grab it and put it back in the garage.

In ode to MMM's "What would you do for $5?" question, guess I will run barefoot through wind and rain after it.  :-)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1626 on: October 14, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »
We went apple picking this weekend, saving about $.50/lb. At about 40 lbs, that's $20 saved. I spent the day today with my mom, canning applesauce, prepping apples for the Thanksgiving and Christmas pies, slicing some for her dehydrator, and we still have a large bowl of apples for eating.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1627 on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
Repaired the downstairs laundry basket with good old needle and thread.   Visually it's a lousy job, but it should hold up.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1628 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Walked to the grocery store.  For the first time!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1629 on: October 15, 2014, 06:54:25 AM »
Checked my Amex account offers and signed up for $5 back on a $15 Wal-Mart purchase.  I need to remember to check those deals more often - a couple months ago it was $20 back for a $20 Amazon purchase.

Working from home and don't plan to drive anywhere or buy anything today.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: October 15, 2014, 07:27:04 AM »
I made a huge pot of faux split pea soup from a hambone and Costco Normandy-mix veggies that have been hanging around in the freezer.  I also made a huge pot of ham and Great Northern beans that we've been having for dinner all week.
Follow my road to semi-FIRE here:  The Road To Mandalay

Post-corporate life blog: Mandalay At Play  Latest entry: The Ginormocorp Survivors Page

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #1631 on: October 15, 2014, 11:47:49 AM »
Started buying organic cream for my coffee in lieu of the local brand-saving $2!!

Brought my usual own filtered water, coffee and leftovers for lunch to the office.

**PAID OFF my credit card balance in full this morning.**  Woot woot!

Prepared the monthly grocery shopping list and stack of coupons for tonight.  Added a few on sale items to the list.

I continue to give half full glasses of leftover drinking water to the plants, and my bedroom and closet lights off during my morning preening routine.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1632 on: October 16, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Maxed out my HSA contributions for the year.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1633 on: October 16, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Made pumpkin pudding with part of my loss leader pumpkin and thawed frozen milk. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1634 on: October 16, 2014, 10:17:04 AM »
Made pumpkin pudding with part of my loss leader pumpkin and thawed frozen milk.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #1635 on: October 16, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »

This!  A THOUSAND times this! :-)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1636 on: October 16, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
Washed 3 karate Gi's and got them out on the line to dry. That was my biggest accomplishment of the day <sigh>.

Elisabeth

« Reply #1637 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:24 AM »
Sold some things my ex left in my storage unit (finders keepers!) for a few hundred. It took about 10 min of work total, answering craigslist responses.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1638 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Finished off the homemade bean dip for breakfast and lunch.
Finally admitted I need to slow down in the morning long enough to eat breakfast so that I won't be tempted to stop at a restaurant for lunch.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #1639 on: October 17, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »
Rejiggered our budget to accommodate some new realities, rather than just pretend they're not happening and keep overspending.

hdatontodo

• Stubble
« Reply #1640 on: October 17, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »
Sold my lawn tractor with snow plow blade for $900 and will use my push mower and snow thrower.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1641 on: October 17, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Made an 11x17 pan of lemon bars and a 9x13 pan of raspberry squares. All will be sliced and frozen for future snacks and treats for the family. Trying to get ahead of them so that I don't have to rely on store bought treats. Hmmm.....I wonder if you can freeze lemon bars?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1642 on: October 17, 2014, 06:39:49 PM »
I've decided to get rid of my cell phone completely but need a new answering machine to go with my land line.  Cheapest one at the local box store was $25.  Cheapest one on kijiji was $15, but maybe I could have gotten it for $10.  Put out a request on freecycle and within a day someone had one for me.  Rode my bike down and picked it up.  Super sweet lady too.  Renewed my faith in humanity. 

Friends think I'm crazy for cycling that far but it was maybe 12 km.  Not that far at all.

Saved money on transportation.  Saved at least $10 on the answering machine. 

And then I picked up a kill-a-watt from the library.  And books and a dvd too.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1643 on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
Woke up late today so didn't pack a lunch (bad), but headed over to the local burrito place before 11 and picked up a huge breakfast burrito for $2.99 instead of spending $8+ to go out for lunch.

Stopped by WinCo to restock a few staples.  Noticed a $1 off sticker on loaves of bread that were $3-4, but the coupon was good on another loaf of the same brand that was $1.98, so got a big loaf of OroWheat for 98 cents.

I'm about to make a batch of nut bars with pantry ingredients to take with on my work trip next week.  Going to challenge myself to eat out only once per day while I'm on the road.

Drove carefully for an average of 43.3 mpg

Andy_in_Aus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1644 on: October 17, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »

After watching A LOT of YouTube videos on the subject, I successfully cut my own hair.  The spatial awareness looking through two mirrors and then reversing hands had me for a little while, but a reasonable job if I do say so myself.

Kind of more excited about the actual skill than the money saved at the moment though!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1645 on: October 18, 2014, 09:16:20 AM »

After watching A LOT of YouTube videos on the subject, I successfully cut my own hair.  The spatial awareness looking through two mirrors and then reversing hands had me for a little while, but a reasonable job if I do say so myself.

Kind of more excited about the actual skill than the money saved at the moment though!

Felt the same way when I first cut my hair acceptably.  One of the joys of mustachianism is that smug feeling of competence which comes when you master a new skill. 

Needed something to read yesterday to while away my post-dentist misery so I downloaded an assortment of library books and found a new mystery author I like.

Prairie Gal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1646 on: October 18, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »
I bought the store bakery bread for $1.39. I have always found that it dries out too fast, but I am keeping it in the freezer, and will just take out a slice or two at a time.

Catbert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1647 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »
When making potato zucchini pancakes last night I went a bit crazy when grating.  I ended up with a pile of potato, zucchini and onion much larger than my needs.  After dinner I quickly sautéed the leftover raw veg while homemade chicken broth defrosted in the microwave.  Then I added a handful of elbow macaroni.   Tonight I'll add a couple more veggies (maybe carrots and beet greens) and call it dinner.

Processing about 7 lbs. of (rapidly deteriorating) Mexican guavas my neighbor left on my porch.  Some chunks will be frozen for smoothies.  Some will be cooked down with sugar and canned as guava butter.  Any ideas of what else to do with guavas?  I think I'll be getting more bags in the future since she discovered that I like guavas.     

Ottawa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1648 on: October 18, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
Returned some BOGS brand boots (2 years old) that had developed a hole in the heel.  Thought maybe it was worth a warranty shot/discount on another boots.  BUT NO!  The saleslady immediately says "Now that's a warranty issue!" and says "Pick out a new pair!".  I was impressed by the BOGS 'satisfaction guarantee' in this case.  Another 2 years now for my daughter's winter boots.  (Grandma bought them as a Christmas present 2012). 
Signing up for Tangerine Bank?  Let's both earn some cash!  Here is my Tangerine Key: 43684467S1  Cheers.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1649 on: October 18, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Made a carrot cake for son's 19th birthday tomorrow from dirt cheap Winco carrots.

Made pizza bagels for lunch out of a bag of bagels I found buried in the deep freeze this morning and made a little salad with some lettuce harvested from our first garden grown from seed! Very satisfying to go out in my yard and gather some practically free, delicious organic lettuce!

For anyone who has never had a little garden, or has a brown thumb like me, I'd encourage you to try and grow a little lettuce next year! Water, sunshine and a bag of mushroom manure from Home Depot was all it took! Amazing to me!