Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020622 times)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3500 on: June 05, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
* Found $0.02 on the ground

* Went to Time Warner to have them restore a $5 monthly credit for owning (rather than renting our cable modem). They claim the credit expires in 6 months, but that's still $30 back in our pocket and I plan to ask for the credit again in January. (The office is right next to my son's school so I'll be there anyway, LOL.)

* Sauteed some zucchini and green pumpkins from the garden.

* Returned cans and bottles for $3.40

* Submitted online form for Beats Pill recall/refund. Should get ~$300 back.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3501 on: June 06, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
From the last 24 hours:
*Enjoyed a free lecture with younger son at his Astronomy club last night (well worth the $25 annual dues).

* Experienced mild boredom yesterday afternoon, so roped the Mister into going on a long walk with me, followed by frisbee in the park. Man, I forgot how relaxing and enjoyable tossing a frisbee around can be! We are already planning more "frisbee" dates.

* Although both window units are installed and we have been unseasonably warm, we still haven't turned on the AC.

* Discovered Kirk's castille soap bars, 3/$3. Finally, a cheap soap that doesn't irritate my bitchy-ass skin. Trial run went well yesterday. (Fragrance-free castille is all I have ever been able to use without crazy hives or rashes, and castille soaps like Bronner's usually cost a shit load because of the crunchy/hippy factor.)

* Went over older son's NYLT camp list and discovered we don't need to buy a thing -- he was short one "class B" uniform t-shirt, but a couple of quick phone calls to other parents turned up one he could borrow.

* Finished fencing in the garden bed and elder son and I built a gate, using scrap wood out of the garage. Now the garden is duck and skunk proof.

* Moved two volunteer sage plants and one volunteer spirea bush to replace some bushes that didn't survive winter in our front yard. It will be a year or two before they reach a nice size, but the price is right! I now have three spirea bushes now, two adult, one seedling, and I have never bought a single one. The have all blown in from the neighbor's.

*Now, going to head out in the yard to help the Mister finish the new duck pond. Shouldn't take long, we're just slightly enlarging the ornamental pond they have used the past few years. We are using the kids old pool liner, which finally sprung a leak and which they have outgrown, as the new pond liner. You won't be able to tell it's humble beginnings once we get the landscape rocks back in place. The old liner is being repurposed into a small upper pond with waterfall to the new bigger pond.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3502 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
*  Resisted the $48 key cabinet and instead created my own cabinet and organized my extensive key madness with what I had on hand and $5-ish of materials

*  Bought tortillas and lettuce to enhance the rice and beans, in order to resist take out or more expensive groceries

*  Organizing my home office today - it is like a treasure hunt!  I do not want to re-buy things that are hiding

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3503 on: June 06, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
*Kids picked 20 lb of strawberries at a u-pick farm. I washed and cut up 15 lb for the freezer and the last 5 is turning into pies made by my daughter from scratch crust.

*Returned library materials (mostly) on time and signed up for adult summer reading club -- I won a book last year so this is totally worth it since we go there every week anyways.

*Made burgers for the grill from our supply of grass-fed beef in the freezer -- used a copy cat recipe for Fuddruckers seasoning which was a hit with the family.
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Fuddruckers-Hamburger-Seasoning-Copycat-Recipe.html

*Made buns from scratch for the hamburgers

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3504 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
Took three paperbacks in to the library and traded them one for one for books I hadn't read. I'm terrible about returning library books on time, so this works better for me. And one for one is much better trade-in value than what I get at the second-hand book store.

Sometimes the selection is bad (do you have any idea how many books John Grisham has written?), but this time it was great.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3505 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Made pizza at home and took the kids to the local high school where a college summer league plays - enjoyed the games, the kids found several balls that were fouled out of the field. Enjoyed a very lovely summer evening.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3506 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »
*  repaired my broken clothes drying rack :)
*  beans, rice and tortillas for dinner
*  cooking up the last of the potatoes to be used throughout the week

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3507 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
I spent this morning at my CSA garden, helping transplant cabbage plants and set up shade netting over kale and spinach. Lovely morning, but went home with an unexpected bag of salad greens, pea greens, radishes, and asparagus, three weeks before the CSA pick-ups begin.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3508 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
Dug into the fridge and found enough food to bring along in a cooler to avoid eating out on my work trip this week.  Rounded it out with veggies from the garden.

Had potatoes, garlic scapes, leeks and snap peas out of the garden as part of tonight's dinner.

Packed my kettlebell and other portable gym equipment so I can work out on the road without paying $7/day for gym passes (hotel gym = treadmill and recumbent bike far as I can tell)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #3509 on: June 08, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »
Working from home today so not spending a penny.  Also made courgette (zuccini) noodles for my Bolognese lunches for the rest of the week.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3510 on: June 08, 2015, 06:34:46 AM »
I had a cheap weekend, I read a free book on my kindle and rearranged the living room so it looks nicer.:)

Nancy

« Reply #3511 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
Darned a hole in the armpit of one of my work sweaters. I'm pretty excited since it was my first darning experiment. Also taped the earpiece of my sunglasses back together. Perfectly good on both fronts!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3512 on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
I work abroad, so when the semester ends and people end their contracts and move to other countries, they leave a lot of stuff behind. I attended a fun take-my-stuff wine and cheese party tonight, and came home with a fabulous new skirt and belt, lots of toiletries, and a fair amount of basic ingredients (oils, vinegars, etc.). Good times *and* free stuff!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3513 on: June 08, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
Made a 'what's left in the fridge' salad for a late lunch to use up some random bits of veggies. Made some dressing too. It was DEEEElicious.

Adopted some potatoes that had sprouted and planted them in the ground. Hopefully they produce. :)

Dried laundry in the sun.

Biked to work.

sloth bear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3514 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
I really wanted to buy lunch today while at work to make up for a crappy day, but I held fast and ate my brown-bagged lunch.

Total savings: $5-$10

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3515 on: June 08, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
*Made more ant bait out of a spoonful of jam and a sprinkle of borax -- placed in a milk jug lid in the window sill

*Had a fire in our new fire pit last night with kids and their friends -- made smores -- very cheap entertainment for 9 kids/teens

*Used up a ton of leftovers for lunch today -- a bit of a buffet lunch

*Stitching up 3 skirts with tears in the seams rather than chucking them out and buying new ones

*ETA: Gave myself a haircut
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:33:52 AM by 1967mama »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3516 on: June 08, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
*  hung another load of laundry to dry
*  no unnecessary driving
*  eating at home (rice, beans, etc . . . )
*  gave myself a manicure (lol - :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3517 on: June 08, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
Made a big batch of kidney beans in the slow cooker (crock pot) overnight. Dried beans are becoming a staple in my house.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3518 on: June 09, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »
@HappierAtHome,

Watch those kidney beans in the crockpot ... I've read warnings on multiple websites re: toxins that need to be boiled off from kidney beans.

Here's one:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #3519 on: June 09, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
Fixed my own bicycle tire.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3520 on: June 09, 2015, 05:35:08 AM »
Yesterday: replaced front shocks on my car. Still$140 for parts, but the labor cost would have been ridiculous considering how easy it was on this car (not the usual for cars and very atypical for this stupidly designed tiny thing).

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3521 on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
Watch those kidney beans in the crockpot ... I've read warnings on multiple websites re: toxins that need to be boiled off from kidney beans.

My dad: "You know how to cook kidney beans?"
Me: "How?"
Dad: "Boil the piss out of them."

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3522 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
Booked my $1,100 work flight and rental car through the Chase site for 5% cashback, rather than the usual 1%. So $44 "savings"?

Since I get reimbursed it's really all profit.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3523 on: June 09, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
Booked my $1,100 work flight and rental car through the Chase site for 5% cashback, rather than the usual 1%. So $44 "savings"?

Since I get reimbursed it's really all profit.
Don't forget the flight miles ;)

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3524 on: June 09, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Removed the necks from 3 short-sleeve turtlenecks to repurpose into scoop-neck tees.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3525 on: June 09, 2015, 04:14:12 PM »
Used up the last of some boar shanks that have been in the freezer forever. The weather turned hot so I smoked them instead of braising. I think I will strip the meat off the bone and serve cold with a salad.

Harvested snap peas, turnips, cauliflower and strawberries, and fermented cauliflower and turnips with a spicy curry blend. 

Accepted an awesome deal where I get free Washington fruit in exchange for being a "Canbassador" for the Washington State Fruit Commission. Received first box of fruit today - 18 pounds of sweet cherries. Super excited.

Turned a rice bag into a tote bag for summer beach toys. It's working great - extra deep for all those plastic shovels and rakes and sand castle molds - and you can just hose it off.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3526 on: June 09, 2015, 05:08:12 PM »
Lost my swimsuit when I moved the stuff from my rental-house-during-a-contract in to my permanent abode. No, I don't know how I lost it. It is probably with the snowsuit I lost when I was nine, when I went to a friend's house to visit.

Did one last check through all my moved belongings. Decided not to drive into the city to buy one, but order one online instead. Ta-dah! Sears Canada was having a 60% off one-day only sale on swimsuits. Won't have it for a week and a half, because it goes to a rural delivery point, but I like the swimsuit!

The one I lost should show up any day now. Though the snowsuit never did.

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #3527 on: June 09, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Exercised at home instead of paying for a class or going to a gym, examined the contents of the fridge to stay on top of what needs to be eaten, kept the water heater off, line dried clothes and drove a very short distance.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3528 on: June 09, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
 Neighbor dropped by to gift me a ton of strawberries that are slightly questionable but just fine for the freezer.  I am thrilled to have them for smoothies for the week.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3529 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »
I did two things yesterday but didn't post so I'll add them "today" :-)
Arranged a lift from a friend to the airport for my next trip - will save $40-$50 on taxi. Will buy him $10 or so worth of beer tho, but still gonna come out way ahead.
Cleaned the pantry to know what needs to be eaten (put oldest stuff at the front).

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #3530 on: June 10, 2015, 05:44:29 AM »
Walked into work, plan to walk home.
Took my lunch and snack to work.
Left my purse at home!

kev994

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3531 on: June 10, 2015, 10:43:17 AM »
Brought an empty water bottle to the airport and filled it from the fountain once getting through security. No $3 water for this guy!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3532 on: June 10, 2015, 11:08:40 AM »
Pleased to report that the free basil seeds (promotional handout on the street) that we put in the free composted manure (collected at the local riding stable) in the free pot (came with the trailer) in the free greenhouse (neighbor was going to throw frame out and we refurbished it with the plastic saved from a mattress purchase) have sprouted.

TrMama

« Reply #3533 on: June 10, 2015, 12:39:14 PM »
Cut the legs off a pair of my daughter's leggings and hemmed the ends. Voilà, shorts!

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3534 on: June 10, 2015, 01:53:11 PM »
Rather than paying for cable TV to watch the USA vs. Germany men's soccer match this afternoon, I am watching it on UniMas over-the-air for free.  The only downside is that it's in Spanish, which I don't speak, but Spanish announcers are always more fun to listen to anyway.  Since I produce my own power by solar energy, I'm not even paying for the electricity.

lezaline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3535 on: June 10, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
Baseball season has started. Typically with three members of my family playing we wind up picking up fast food more than we would like simply due to work schedules, practice schedules and games. However, two weeks in and we have yet to purchase dinner or lunch. Hubs and I are both committed to packing lunches in a cooler instead. I was actually able to save my sister some money too by packing her and my nephew something so they didn't have to buy something between games. Easily saved $30 that day and another $10 last night.

Our food budget is our biggest leaking point so we are trying really hard to focus on being more mindful and budget conscience in this category.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3536 on: June 11, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »
*  typical free coffee and homemade rice/beans lunch
*  this is a tough one, but slowly realizing and adjusting to deal with a relationship that tends to drain me emotionally and financially.  The more I have become aware of MMM-stuff, the more I just cannot put up with or justify certain habits/behavior anymore. 
*  was given some items that can be listed for sale online

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3537 on: June 11, 2015, 01:24:12 PM »
Forced myself to eat leftovers for breakfast and lunch even though I've had the same thing every day for the entire week. 
Drinking water.
Working on cutting back on my snacking.  This will really help our grocery budget because I snack a lot.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3538 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:43 PM »
The grocery store that is 3 doors from my house has a 20% off meat sales 8 or 9 times a year. I hadn't been able to take advantage of it in a long time because it happens on weekdays, when I was in the city during the week. Now that my contract has finished, I was able to go today. Stocked up on $50 worth of meat, which will keep me going until the end of July.

Two things I really like are that they don't jack up the prices before they reduce them and that they have a selection of cuts (high end and low end). I'd have been happy to pay the regular price on any of the meat I bought today -- though I definitely wouldn't have bought it all at once or all in one place.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3539 on: June 11, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »
Pleased to report that the free basil seeds (promotional handout on the street) that we put in the free composted manure (collected at the local riding stable) in the free pot (came with the trailer) in the free greenhouse (neighbor was going to throw frame out and we refurbished it with the plastic saved from a mattress purchase) have sprouted.

Nice work. :D

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #3540 on: June 11, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »
The other day I noted the hardware store was changing brands of drill bits, and selling all the old brand at 1/2off.  Today took my banged up set of bits in the store and bought 3 new ones to replace 3 chewed ones.

We grabbed a picnic dinner out of the fridge before running errands today, so we got to have a picnic and were not tempted to grab something at Chipotle.

Got some CDs, books & a DVD at the library.

Line dried a load of laundry (did that 2 days in a row).

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3541 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:54 PM »
Had a pretty good day today!
* Got "new" used tires on the car. 80% tread and cost a third of buying the same tires new. The husband of a volunteer in my son's scout troop works at a used tire shop, and offered us a deal. Since we plan to sell the car for something with better gas mileage in about year, this is a pretty awesome deal.

* It was the husband's birthday. Kid #1 gave him a frisbee, Kid #2 gave him a carabiner clip for his keys (his had broke), and I made him an artsy print for his office. We then fed him with homemade shrimp stirfry and eggdrop soup, followed by a decadent homemade peanut butter chocolate cake. He and I then went and chatted over an iced coffee, and then struck out for a five mile stroll along the riverside. (We didn't mean to walk five miles, but the evening temps were perfect and the conversation was good, and next thing we knew we were almost 3 miles from home).

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3542 on: June 11, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
*Bought my iron pills at Costco (56  cents a pill) instead of local drugstore (73 cents a pill). This will really add up over the years. (Recently diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia)

*Listening to lots of free music on Songza app

*Made basil-feta pasta for dinner with basil from starter plants in my garden -- 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt, pepper, good handful of feta, chopped tomatoes, 1/2 a cup of chopped basil.  Let that all marinate together and then cook up 3c. dry small pasta and add, hot or cold.  DELISH!

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3543 on: June 12, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »
* Spent 5 minutes clicking on digital store coupons before heading to supermarket, which saved an extra $20 on stuff we'd have bought anyway.
* Signed up for SavingStar, Checkout51, and coupons.com. (Still working on getting that last one to actually print.)
* Combined errands into a single drive, and since I was passing by, stopped at 1 grocery store for a good but small sale that alone wouldn't have been worth a trip. Packed car with ice packs to keep groceries cold while making multiple stops.
* Trying new way to store celery that's supposed to make it last longer.
* Reorganized cabinets to make shopping and stockpiling better.
* Accidentally knocked a bottle of lemon extract (alcohol + lemon oil) out of the cabinet while tidying up, which broke open and spilled on the counter. Mopped it up with a cloth, then figured I shouldn't waste it and used the cloth to wipe down the stovetop. Kitchen's now lemony fresh.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3544 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »
Encouraged husband who I found researching the sale of our backhoe! Anybody need a big old backhoe - leaks some fluid, but gets the job done. We're currently living in its most recent big job.

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3545 on: June 12, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »
My home AC failed.  Fixed it myself.  Run capacitor for condenser fan went bad.  Replaced 35/5 MFD 440V capacitor and it's running perfect now.  Saved at least $200 on service call.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3546 on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
Costco run today.  Said NO to so many yummy things (hummus, guacamole, fancy packaged salads and smoothies) that I know I can make just as well and cheaper on my own. 

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3547 on: June 12, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
-Got free 2-load for washing  ($4.50). We get this deal if we use the laundry 5 times. :)
-Packed lunch from leftovers I got from a friends dinner party last night...

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #3548 on: June 12, 2015, 10:57:36 PM »
Yesterday - caught the mouse that I've been trying to get rid of for about a month. Why is this mustachian? Because the darn thing kept eating my food which then had to be thrown out. I was slowly getting everything into containers, but this was also costing me money buying containers when I couldn't get appropriate free ones (like empty jars for smaller things)
Today - a few weeks back I bought some books online. These included several "omnibus" editions - which contain multiple books in one volume. One was meant to have 4 books, but only had 1. Complained to the retailer, their response was to question my integrity and offer a refund if I send it back at my cost. Today I found the consumer protection information that proved I was in the right, and quoted it at them to prove that what I originally requested (the additional book) is reasonable and I'm legally entitled to a refund to the value of that anyway. I anticipate either getting my book free, or a refund which will allow me to purchase it elsewhere for free. If not, knowing my legal rights empowers me to take it further. OK so it's only $20 value, but i REALLY want to read that book, and I'm not paying more for something I've already paid for.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3549 on: June 13, 2015, 06:02:47 AM »
Yesterday - caught the mouse that I've been trying to get rid of for about a month. Why is this mustachian? Because the darn thing kept eating my food which then had to be thrown out. I was slowly getting everything into containers, but this was also costing me money buying containers when I couldn't get appropriate free ones (like empty jars for smaller things)
Today - a few weeks back I bought some books online. These included several "omnibus" editions - which contain multiple books in one volume. One was meant to have 4 books, but only had 1. Complained to the retailer, their response was to question my integrity and offer a refund if I send it back at my cost. Today I found the consumer protection information that proved I was in the right, and quoted it at them to prove that what I originally requested (the additional book) is reasonable and I'm legally entitled to a refund to the value of that anyway. I anticipate either getting my book free, or a refund which will allow me to purchase it elsewhere for free. If not, knowing my legal rights empowers me to take it further. OK so it's only $20 value, but i REALLY want to read that book, and I'm not paying more for something I've already paid for.

Good for you on the book!

I hate to be a downer, but keep an eye out/ keep working on those containers. I've never heard of an instance in which there was only one mouse, unfortunately.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!