Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 3385463 times)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #3500 on: June 02, 2015, 02:14:45 AM »
It's feeling quite cold here in the UK today, we had a storm last night even though it is supposed to be summer!

I keep reading on forums that people are having to put their heating on but I will just put on a warm jumper and make a hot drink. Our electric bill is only £50 a month and I plan on keeping it that way.:)

Leftovers again for lunch.

My bar of soap has gone all mushy and soft so I'm going to find some way of drying it out so I can still use it.:D

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3501 on: June 02, 2015, 03:12:28 AM »
After 7pm here now and I'm still at my desk (often happens on Tuesdays).

But my gem of a husband packed me an extra homemade burrito with my lunch as an emergency dinner option.

I just reheated it and re-filled my water bottle. Dinner is served. :)

(This will ward off the temptation of the free-but-calorific office biscuit tin, buying food on my way home, or getting home starving and over-eating to compensate.)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3502 on: June 02, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I accidentally left my wallet at work, so at the store I had to put back everything that was in my cart. That turned out to be a great way to save money.

HA HA, awesome!

dorothyc

• Bristles
« Reply #3503 on: June 02, 2015, 11:47:46 AM »

My bar of soap has gone all mushy and soft so I'm going to find some way of drying it out so I can still use it.:D

Do you have a face flannel you can sew up the sides, and use it as a soap bag in the shower?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3504 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »
Put the lunch I brought to work into the fridge to save for tomorrow, and ate the leftovers from a big meeting for lunch instead.

One fewer lunch to provide myself.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #3505 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »
Brought coffee and food to work.

Filled up my stainless steel water bottle at work.

Last week I set up my drying rack outside to dry the king size comforter that would not get dry in the dryer.

Fed the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks the toddler's leftover toast and waffle scraps.

Starting to meal plan again.

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3506 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:45 PM »

Do you have a face flannel you can sew up the sides, and use it as a soap bag in the shower?

A sock that's missing it's twin also works well. We used to save all of our little shivers of soap and put them together in a sock to have usable soap!

a1smith

• Bristles
« Reply #3507 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:45 PM »

A sock that's missing it's twin also works well. We used to save all of our little shivers of soap and put them together in a sock to have usable soap!

I just lather up the piece of soap and press it onto the side of a new bar of soap.  Then just let it sit it there until the next shower and the piece of soap will stick to the new bar of soap.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:16:47 PM by a1smith »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3508 on: June 02, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Made an omelette for breakfast with the last of the wilting baby spinach in the fridge and some hard cheese that is about to expire (though with hard cheeses apparently it's ok to cut off the edges and keep eating past expiry date anyway?)

From a couple of days ago but I forgot to mention it: I've been thinking about how to lower the cost of our roll-on antiperspirant. It's very rarely on sale at the supermarket. I found a website that would send us a dozen at half price (free postage) in a one-off promotional scent from the same brand but I'm reluctant in case the scent is awful. Then my husband brought home four new bottles of roll-on in a different brand. (His company is given thousands of samples of new products throughout the year - books, food, toiletries, make-up, electronics, etc.) The new brand is cheaper to begin with, and is on sale more often, so I've saved $12 on four deodorants and if we switch brands it will save me more in the long run.

I had a little smile to myself the evening I realised I had just spent an hour Googling deodorant prices. :D

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3509 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »
^ Hmm, good ideas on the soap guys.:)

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3510 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:57 AM »
Neither of us went off the mountain yesterday. He built a 12' or so section of porch roof, I worked, then we both worked on a MOOC we're taking together. I did spend money, though - ordered the parts we need to repair the dryer ($27 with tax and shipping).

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #3511 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
I didnt go to the canteen with my colleagues to get a snack in the morning. I start at 6:30 so this is kinda second breakfast.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3512 on: June 03, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
DH took leftover rice, leftover chicken, onions, carrots, egg and soy sauce from the fridge and celery from the garden and made a delicious stir fry for lunch.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3513 on: June 03, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
Needed a cell phone "pocket" to keep the screen from getting scratched in my purse. Rummaged through my "bag o' bags" and found an old soft microfiber jewelry pouch. Stitched up the sides on my sewing machine to form a rectangle and now have a washable cell phone pocket that cleans my screen every time I take the phone out.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3514 on: June 03, 2015, 12:13:19 PM »
*  free coffee at work
*  brought my lunch from home
*  scavenging supplies put into a "excess/donate" pile to supplement my workstation
*  resisting the urge to buy cute new accessories (specifically a red swingline stapler)
*  put a picture of a mustache as my desktop photo ;)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #3515 on: June 03, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »
Made my own crackers! Loading up on DIY snack-things for the kids makes it possible to delay going to the store for a bit longer.

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3516 on: June 03, 2015, 11:41:44 PM »
Had a good free-food weekend:
* Friend gave us a bag of nectarines from her tree
* Foraged about pound of purslane from outside a library
* Collected fallen lemons and oranges from the garden of a historic home we were visiting (free!). We tried to give it to the caretaker but he told us just to keep it if we wanted it.

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #3517 on: June 04, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
I snagged a "Save $10 on a $50 Purchase" Safeway coupon from the work newspaper on the way out the door. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3518 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »
The 'small thing' of turning off unused powerpoints every day and being very sparing with electricity consumption has paid off. I got our electricity statement yesterday - our usage is down 25 per cent from this time last year.

Australian electricity statements also show your daily consumption compared with the national average for one-person, two-person, four-person, etc, dwellings.

Two of us in a two-bedroom apartment now consume less power than the typical one-bedroom dwelling.

Dollar-wise, our power bill has halved in a year. (We pay power fortnightly based on previous consumption, and our account continues to be $100+ in credit. Each quarter, when I receive the statement, I email them and have the payments reduced in line with our reduced consumption.)

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3519 on: June 04, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
* Air-dried a load of laundry, saving about $0.25 on the electric bill.

* Ceiling light burned out in the kids' room. When I climbed up there to open fixture and replace the bulb, I discovered the contractor had used incandescent bulbs (gasp! horror!) because there's a dimmer switch. Replaced with regular CFL bulbs we had in the garage. Will find some dimmable LED or CFL if the kids notice the switch. Either way, the replacement should save us some on electricity in the future.

* Someone moving out of an apartment left 50+ books beside a dumpster. I scanned the ISBNs and snagged about 35. Most are obscure or foreign-language, but will make a profit reselling them no matter what because cost to me was zero.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:08:24 PM by jengod »

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3520 on: June 05, 2015, 06:20:15 AM »
Same here.  Plus to keep the soap in the shower dry, I leave it on the surgical nylon scrub brush I got from Lee Valley.  The brush gently gets gardening dirt off my hands, so it is double use.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=2,42551&p=10259

I just lather up the piece of soap and press it onto the side of a new bar of soap.  Then just let it sit it there until the next shower and the piece of soap will stick to the new bar of soap.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3521 on: June 05, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
The 'small thing' of turning off unused powerpoints every day and being very sparing with electricity consumption has paid off. I got our electricity statement yesterday - our usage is down 25 per cent from this time last year.

Great job!  When I got my last power bill, I was shocked at how much I saved by doing this, as well.  It really does make a difference.

My wins for today:
*  the usual homemade coffee and lunch
*  found a shiny penny on the staircase (and wondered how many other people had walked past it and either not noticed or not bothered to pick it up . . . )
*  did the "budget" for whatever is left in my checking account until payday
*  hung my "gently-worn" work clothes for the week to see what can go another round before washing

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3522 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
*made iced tea for today (jug full of boiling water, 5 tea bags, sugar and lemon juice to taste for those who still use a store bought mix)

*reheating chili in the crockpot for tonight's dinner - we will be out until 5 and I'm so happy I pre-planned this or else, drive thru!

*keeping blinds closed to keep some of the heat out of the house

TootTootBeepBeep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3523 on: June 05, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
Called AT&T and asked them to apply a new promotional deal on my home internet account again since my last one expired yesterday. The call took 4 minutes and now my bill is back to $32 a month, a monthly savings of $15. Yay!

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3524 on: June 05, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
* Found $0.02 on the ground

* Went to Time Warner to have them restore a $5 monthly credit for owning (rather than renting our cable modem). They claim the credit expires in 6 months, but that's still $30 back in our pocket and I plan to ask for the credit again in January. (The office is right next to my son's school so I'll be there anyway, LOL.)

* Sauteed some zucchini and green pumpkins from the garden.

* Returned cans and bottles for $3.40

* Submitted online form for Beats Pill recall/refund. Should get ~$300 back.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #3525 on: June 06, 2015, 12:38:48 PM »
From the last 24 hours:
*Enjoyed a free lecture with younger son at his Astronomy club last night (well worth the $25 annual dues).

* Experienced mild boredom yesterday afternoon, so roped the Mister into going on a long walk with me, followed by frisbee in the park. Man, I forgot how relaxing and enjoyable tossing a frisbee around can be! We are already planning more "frisbee" dates.

* Although both window units are installed and we have been unseasonably warm, we still haven't turned on the AC.

* Discovered Kirk's castille soap bars, 3/$3. Finally, a cheap soap that doesn't irritate my bitchy-ass skin. Trial run went well yesterday. (Fragrance-free castille is all I have ever been able to use without crazy hives or rashes, and castille soaps like Bronner's usually cost a shit load because of the crunchy/hippy factor.)

* Went over older son's NYLT camp list and discovered we don't need to buy a thing -- he was short one "class B" uniform t-shirt, but a couple of quick phone calls to other parents turned up one he could borrow.

* Finished fencing in the garden bed and elder son and I built a gate, using scrap wood out of the garage. Now the garden is duck and skunk proof.

* Moved two volunteer sage plants and one volunteer spirea bush to replace some bushes that didn't survive winter in our front yard. It will be a year or two before they reach a nice size, but the price is right! I now have three spirea bushes now, two adult, one seedling, and I have never bought a single one. The have all blown in from the neighbor's.

*Now, going to head out in the yard to help the Mister finish the new duck pond. Shouldn't take long, we're just slightly enlarging the ornamental pond they have used the past few years. We are using the kids old pool liner, which finally sprung a leak and which they have outgrown, as the new pond liner. You won't be able to tell it's humble beginnings once we get the landscape rocks back in place. The old liner is being repurposed into a small upper pond with waterfall to the new bigger pond.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3526 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
*  Resisted the $48 key cabinet and instead created my own cabinet and organized my extensive key madness with what I had on hand and $5-ish of materials

*  Bought tortillas and lettuce to enhance the rice and beans, in order to resist take out or more expensive groceries

*  Organizing my home office today - it is like a treasure hunt!  I do not want to re-buy things that are hiding

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3527 on: June 06, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
*Kids picked 20 lb of strawberries at a u-pick farm. I washed and cut up 15 lb for the freezer and the last 5 is turning into pies made by my daughter from scratch crust.

*Returned library materials (mostly) on time and signed up for adult summer reading club -- I won a book last year so this is totally worth it since we go there every week anyways.

*Made burgers for the grill from our supply of grass-fed beef in the freezer -- used a copy cat recipe for Fuddruckers seasoning which was a hit with the family.
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Fuddruckers-Hamburger-Seasoning-Copycat-Recipe.html

*Made buns from scratch for the hamburgers

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3528 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
Took three paperbacks in to the library and traded them one for one for books I hadn't read. I'm terrible about returning library books on time, so this works better for me. And one for one is much better trade-in value than what I get at the second-hand book store.

Sometimes the selection is bad (do you have any idea how many books John Grisham has written?), but this time it was great.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3529 on: June 06, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Made pizza at home and took the kids to the local high school where a college summer league plays - enjoyed the games, the kids found several balls that were fouled out of the field. Enjoyed a very lovely summer evening.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3530 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:10 PM »
*  repaired my broken clothes drying rack :)
*  beans, rice and tortillas for dinner
*  cooking up the last of the potatoes to be used throughout the week

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3531 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
I spent this morning at my CSA garden, helping transplant cabbage plants and set up shade netting over kale and spinach. Lovely morning, but went home with an unexpected bag of salad greens, pea greens, radishes, and asparagus, three weeks before the CSA pick-ups begin.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • I earn it, my horses eat it
« Reply #3532 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:34 PM »
Dug into the fridge and found enough food to bring along in a cooler to avoid eating out on my work trip this week.  Rounded it out with veggies from the garden.

Had potatoes, garlic scapes, leeks and snap peas out of the garden as part of tonight's dinner.

Packed my kettlebell and other portable gym equipment so I can work out on the road without paying $7/day for gym passes (hotel gym = treadmill and recumbent bike far as I can tell)

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #3533 on: June 08, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »
Working from home today so not spending a penny.  Also made courgette (zuccini) noodles for my Bolognese lunches for the rest of the week.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3534 on: June 08, 2015, 06:34:46 AM »
I had a cheap weekend, I read a free book on my kindle and rearranged the living room so it looks nicer.:)

Nancy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3535 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:30 AM »
Darned a hole in the armpit of one of my work sweaters. I'm pretty excited since it was my first darning experiment. Also taped the earpiece of my sunglasses back together. Perfectly good on both fronts!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3536 on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
I work abroad, so when the semester ends and people end their contracts and move to other countries, they leave a lot of stuff behind. I attended a fun take-my-stuff wine and cheese party tonight, and came home with a fabulous new skirt and belt, lots of toiletries, and a fair amount of basic ingredients (oils, vinegars, etc.). Good times *and* free stuff!

marcela

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3537 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:40 AM »
I had a work trip this weekend where I was staying at an expensive resort with only onsite food options so I brought my own easy food to eat. I still had to do the coworker mealtime socializing, but since I knew I had yummies back in my hotel room I was able to only eat small plates. My meal allowance was pretty generous (although not enough to cover what meals WOULD have cost at this place) so I ended up making around $33 in profit. When you add in the cashback I earned with those purchases and the hotel booking, I made another $22. Not bad :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #3538 on: June 08, 2015, 09:37:06 AM »
Made a 'what's left in the fridge' salad for a late lunch to use up some random bits of veggies. Made some dressing too. It was DEEEElicious.

Adopted some potatoes that had sprouted and planted them in the ground. Hopefully they produce. :)

Dried laundry in the sun.

Biked to work.

sloth bear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3539 on: June 08, 2015, 01:42:53 PM »
I really wanted to buy lunch today while at work to make up for a crappy day, but I held fast and ate my brown-bagged lunch.

Total savings: $5-$10

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3540 on: June 08, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »
*Made more ant bait out of a spoonful of jam and a sprinkle of borax -- placed in a milk jug lid in the window sill

*Had a fire in our new fire pit last night with kids and their friends -- made smores -- very cheap entertainment for 9 kids/teens

*Used up a ton of leftovers for lunch today -- a bit of a buffet lunch

*Stitching up 3 skirts with tears in the seams rather than chucking them out and buying new ones

*ETA: Gave myself a haircut
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:33:52 AM by 1967mama »

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #3541 on: June 08, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
*  hung another load of laundry to dry
*  no unnecessary driving
*  eating at home (rice, beans, etc . . . )
*  gave myself a manicure (lol - :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3542 on: June 08, 2015, 06:33:13 PM »
Made a big batch of kidney beans in the slow cooker (crock pot) overnight. Dried beans are becoming a staple in my house.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3543 on: June 09, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »
@HappierAtHome,

Watch those kidney beans in the crockpot ... I've read warnings on multiple websites re: toxins that need to be boiled off from kidney beans.

Here's one:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #3544 on: June 09, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
Fixed my own bicycle tire.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3545 on: June 09, 2015, 05:35:08 AM »
Yesterday: replaced front shocks on my car. Still$140 for parts, but the labor cost would have been ridiculous considering how easy it was on this car (not the usual for cars and very atypical for this stupidly designed tiny thing).

Tenlha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3546 on: June 09, 2015, 07:33:53 AM »
Watch those kidney beans in the crockpot ... I've read warnings on multiple websites re: toxins that need to be boiled off from kidney beans.

My dad: "You know how to cook kidney beans?"
Me: "How?"
Dad: "Boil the piss out of them."

Scandium

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3547 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:13 PM »
Booked my $1,100 work flight and rental car through the Chase site for 5% cashback, rather than the usual 1%. So $44 "savings"?

Since I get reimbursed it's really all profit.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3548 on: June 09, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
Booked my $1,100 work flight and rental car through the Chase site for 5% cashback, rather than the usual 1%. So $44 "savings"?

Since I get reimbursed it's really all profit.
Don't forget the flight miles ;)

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #3549 on: June 09, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Removed the necks from 3 short-sleeve turtlenecks to repurpose into scoop-neck tees.