Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8020684 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #4600 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
I posted a few days ago about successfully calling our bank and asking nicely for a refund on our credit card annual charge.

I just got a letter in the mail to say the bank has also waived next year's fee.

Saved $120 with a 60-second phone call. :)

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #4601 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
Just ordered 2 small pizzas free from my local Hungry howies  using codes 6DNTL9XH and V9LBA5DY.

Sorry I like to eat out! lol it helps if its free

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4602 on: October 23, 2015, 03:07:45 AM »
^ Thanks for all the tips re the porridge.:) I actually had it again this morning and enjoyed it a bit more. I was looking on pinterest for ideas and saw a few recipes there too.

I had a high cholesterol reading last year and it came down a bit when I had it checked again but I know oats are meant to be good for that so I'm definitely going to persist with it.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4603 on: October 25, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
-Made a curry to use up extra veggies.
-DH is DIYing my computer repair. Based on past experiences with this sort of problem, he's saving us approximately 17 billion dollars. (Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration, but that's sure how it feels!)
-Sold an item on craigslist

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4604 on: October 25, 2015, 11:20:34 AM »
* Cut "empty" toothpaste tube in half to get at the remnants. Found a good 3-4 more uses left in there.
* Making a creamy, vegetable-heavy soup to use up an on-sale rotisserie chicken that husband picked up that is waaay too salty.
* Trolling this week's grocery circulars.
* Will be hanging washed clothes to dry later today.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4605 on: October 25, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »
I have a library book due today. I decided to combine walking the dog with dropping off the library book plus 4 other due soon books while I was there. It's a longer walk than I normally do, but that's good for both myself and the dog. Less driving, carrying more weight while walking. Win win win. right? Except I found out that the library has been closed for repairs since this summer and I can not return the books at that location.

Oh well. I still didn't drive to then find out it was closed, and dog is happy. I'll just have to return them tomorrow at the library near work before it opens tomorrow.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4606 on: October 25, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
I was all ready to call the homeopath to book an apointment for my DS's acne, I asked my DS if I should go ahead, he wanted to know how much it costs and hearing it would have been at least 150 out of pocket , he decided to first use up all the lotions and ointments he has and get a salve or so as refill for 15$ instead. Is he frugal or what?

My DS is motivated to save us money because he wants a smartphone for christmas, can't blame him really, he's 16 :)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4607 on: October 25, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
tomita,

Maybe you've already looked into this, but there's a huge connection between acne and dairy consumption. Helped some of my teens.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4608 on: October 25, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Celebrated my birthday by cooking dinner for a group of friends, who generously gifted me two bottles of my favourite spirits. Wins all round. :) (And I have dinner leftovers for lunch today.)

Edited to add: my friend whose home we invaded for my birthday dinner to say she was having her share of leftovers (we always split them between us) for lunch today too, and asked for the recipe. Love having frugal friends who are appreciative of such things!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:40:03 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4609 on: October 25, 2015, 05:17:28 PM »
I was all ready to call the homeopath to book an apointment for my DS's acne, I asked my DS if I should go ahead, he wanted to know how much it costs and hearing it would have been at least 150 out of pocket , he decided to first use up all the lotions and ointments he has and get a salve or so as refill for 15$ instead. Is he frugal or what?

My DS is motivated to save us money because he wants a smartphone for christmas, can't blame him really, he's 16 :)
Look up homeopathy on www.quackwatch.com if you really are serious about saving money.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4610 on: October 25, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Made a nice big pot of vegetable beef soup. Will freeze half and use the other half for meals this week. Don't remember the last time I made soup from scratch.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4611 on: October 25, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
tomita,

Maybe you've already looked into this, but there's a huge connection between acne and dairy consumption. Helped some of my teens.
Agreed!  I had acne so bad, some of the zits were the size of quarters and purple.  Cut out dairy and they went mostly away.  Cut out soy in addition and my skin looks great.  Obviously everyone will react differently, but I could tell by the end of 1 week of cutting out dairy that I was sensitive to it.  So I'd advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try for a week, what do you have to lose?

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4612 on: October 25, 2015, 08:17:32 PM »
tomita,

Agreed!  I had acne so bad, some of the zits were the size of quarters and purple.  Cut out dairy and they went mostly away.  Cut out soy in addition and my skin looks great.  Obviously everyone will react differently, but I could tell by the end of 1 week of cutting out dairy that I was sensitive to it.  So I'd advise anyone with skin issues to give it a try for a week, what do you have to lose?

« on: Today at 05:17:28 PM » Insert Quote

Zaga & 1967mama: my DS is off diary since 3-4 weeks, I think his acne has improved,  is not a dramatic improvement but is better. We don't eat soy (usually). Just a lot of meat, vegs, home made bread, and home made pies :)...

Joggernot: thanks for the link,

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4613 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
I hate to suggest this, since home-made bread and pies are both frugal and delicious, but gluten?

Zaga & 1967mama: my DS is off diary since 3-4 weeks, I think his acne has improved,  is not a dramatic improvement but is better. We don't eat soy (usually). Just a lot of meat, vegs, home made bread, and home made pies :)...

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4614 on: October 26, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
I hate to suggest this, since home-made bread and pies are both frugal and delicious, but gluten?

I was going to say the same -- or if not gluten specifically, wheat in general for whatever other unknown reason. For me, my skin does fine with dairy, but you can literally see on my face if I've been eating wheat (bread, pasta, etc).

ETA: Today's small thing: Lowering my coffee consumption to get back down to a low daily dose for the Nth time.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #4615 on: October 26, 2015, 08:45:44 AM »

I was going to say the same -- or if not gluten specifically, wheat in general for whatever other unknown reason. For me, my skin does fine with dairy, but you can literally see on my face if I've been eating wheat (bread, pasta, etc).

I will try to put him on no wheat for 1 week and see what happens, it will be challenging because he's one hungry teenager
Thanks...

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #4616 on: October 26, 2015, 10:25:12 AM »
I took the train at 6:20 in the morning. You receive a 40% discount when you start your journey outside of the usual commuting times (6:30 - 9:00). You no longer receive this discount if you start traveling after 6:30. It saved me €4 :).

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4617 on: October 26, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
I used a store credit at Target to reduce the out-of-pocket cost of a kid's birthday present.

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

We happened to arrive at Target as they were running a trick-or-treat circuit for the kids. We got 6 free protein bars and some entertaining junk for the kids.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4618 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »

My skin problem is traceable to sugar.  Too many sweets and my skin gets unhappy.

Today: I packed my lunch with leftovers from dinner.  I also packed my breakfast, a snack for later, and made tea at work. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4619 on: October 26, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »

I reused a gift bag I saved from my kid's last birthday party rather than buying one new.

I cleaned out our big car and took a couple of photos in anticipation of selling it and becoming a voluntary one-car family. Eek!

One of my favourite tricks. For my birthday this year I picked my own bag out of the stash at home for my husband to use for my gifts. It was perfect, saved a tree, and a few dollars.

At my birthday dinner one of my friends gave me a gift in the cute paper bag from the store. She said 'sorry about the bag' with a big grin when she gave it to me, knowing I wouldn't mind in the least. :)

(Then I saved the bag at home. I'll use it for something.)

Thank you to whoever yesterday mentioned cutting open the toothpaste tube. I did that this morning and I think it will last me the rest of the week. (I have spare tubes, purchased on sale, in the cupboard but that's not the point.)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #4620 on: October 26, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
Sold a horse today!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4621 on: October 26, 2015, 10:28:19 PM »
Sold a horse today!

* Friend Barbara brought dried out baguettes and broccoli stems for my chickens. Those hens eat well! We are in egg debt right now, but I need to collect a half-dozen for her after we send more to my husband's work friend Max who gives him a ride home sometimes.

* Started my own batch of vinegar using a recipe from Erica's book. Between The Hands-On Home and a recent read-through of Bake the Bread, Buy the Butter, I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

* Marveled for the zillionth time about being able to check out ebooks through the library. Instant gratification and FREEEEEE to boot. Amazeballs.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4622 on: October 26, 2015, 10:41:29 PM »
I have begun to suspect the entire supermarket is optional. It's freakin' me out, man.

^^^ The best thing I've read all day.

Another entry for me: I'd been thinking about buying my husband a third pair of shorts for summer (positively indulgent!) He needed a couple of nice tailored pairs that can be worn when he's out for a casual lunch, etc, while travelling overseas for work.

Even at Target (Australia) the style I'm thinking are $40 a pair.

Just found the Target pair on eBay for $7 plus $7 postage. No bids so if I bid with five seconds to go I should get them for $14 all up. Much more palatable.

Also made $10 on eBay from two books. People paying to take away unwanted stuff? Win!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4623 on: October 27, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
Found an abandoned skateboard for my son! I walked by it 4x between 11 am and 4 pm so I claimed it :-)

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4624 on: October 27, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

This is the one I copied, though the lace is deeper on hers:

http://www.bhldn.com/product/curving-periphery-veil

That is so beautiful, as is sharing your gift in crafting this for your friend. A friendship to treasure!

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #4625 on: October 27, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
This is for a friend, but she is getting married soon, and loved a veil at the Anthropologie bridal salon that was way out of her budget, so I made one for her over the weekend, with materials she supplied. It is one layer of soft net, floor length, edged from fingertip to fingertip around the bottom with Alencon lace. I've been sewing for years, but this was the first time I had worked with tulle and lace. I was pleased it came out well.

This is the one I copied, though the lace is deeper on hers:

http://www.bhldn.com/product/curving-periphery-veil

That is so beautiful, as is sharing your gift in crafting this for your friend. A friendship to treasure!

Thanks. This is a fairly dorky picture of me modeling it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4626 on: October 27, 2015, 12:50:18 PM »
The veil is BEAUTIFUL!

You could sell those on Etsy as a side hustle!

Lovely work!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4627 on: October 27, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
Today I made a double batch of buns (20 cups of flour). Some will be eaten fresh today and the rest will be frozen in large ziplock bags for future meals. I love having "emergency bread" in the freezer - saves me from rushing out to the store and paying too much $$$ for inferior tasting bread. It smells delicious in here:-)

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4628 on: October 27, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
I put a cat toy in the door. We have a regular front door and then a second door that helps keep out the cold but that has a hole where the doorknob used to be. I put a little ball in the doorknob hole. It's an exact fit, so I think it will keep some of our heat from escaping if I can convince the housemates to consistently close the inner door after themselves.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #4629 on: October 27, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
* Picked up a gift bottle of wine for a friend using a $2 rebate.
* Finished packing up a final (for the foreseeable future) bag for ThredUp. 16 more items out the door, which brings my total for the year of clothing items gone to sale past 200, and the total gone in general (sale + Goodwill) to something upwards of 400. *facepalm* I just can't even.
ETA later: * Sewed a couple of buttons back onto a pair of shorts and a blouse. Attempted to sew a rogue underwire back into a bra, too, but alas, don't have sturdy enough needles (or fingers) for the purpose.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:41:40 PM by ShaneD »

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4630 on: October 27, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
I wanted to store all our umbrellas in my side of the wardrobe.

The big golf umbrella is propped up at the back and my umbrella has a hook so it fit neatly on the rail, but we had a third umbrella with a plain handle and a small wrist strap.

I thought about buying an S hook to hang off the rail.

Instead, I got the metal fastener (random example here: http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/dk4_photos/media/dj-purple-tag.jpg.html) from one of my husband's old frequent flyer tags, fastened it on the rail, bent open a paperclip, hooked one end on the metal fastener and hooked the umbrella wrist strap on the other.

Seriously, I'm practically MacGyver. :)

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4631 on: October 27, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
Felt too queasy to go out for lunch so lunch was very cheap basmati rice, steamed zucchini plus grated Aldi cheese (low fat). Pretty cheap lunch and compatible with queasiness.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4632 on: October 28, 2015, 04:58:35 AM »
cannot go out and physically try on a multitude of winter coats yet, it's too much. I needed a heavy fleece and coat, I am not easy to fit .  Ordered one from LE on sale, 1 from Kohl's sale and Macy's sale.  Macy's the nicest, they were all about $80.  Macy one went down in price today, they credited me $10. I have never bought a winter coat in season, always in spring on super clearance. So 70 felt like a lot, but it's very nice and I need one.  Found heavy fleece at Sierra, $ 20 from $90, very nice, nicer than the one it is replacing until I lose wt.

Winter done for $90 while shopping in season and did not have to leave my house.  I can live with that. And lesson learned, the $16 fleece on Deal Genius that looks unisex even though they say it's not, is unisex and this is not the place to buy a winter coat. But free to ship back, yay!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4633 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
Not exactly saving money...

It's  health insurance open season and my current carrier sent me a glossy brochure to convince me to stay with them.    I noticed that one of the benefits is getting $50 Visa reward card for taking an on-line health assessment and another $25 for completing an on-line health lifestyle class.  I did the assessment this morning and will take the class this afternoon.  Even better you can get the bonus once a year so I've set a reminder for January.  I need to talk DH into doing it also so we'll get $150 total.

$150 in Visa gift cards should pretty much take care of Christmas.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4634 on: October 28, 2015, 04:48:48 PM »
Not exactly saving money...

It's  health insurance open season and my current carrier sent me a glossy brochure to convince me to stay with them.    I noticed that one of the benefits is getting $50 Visa reward card for taking an on-line health assessment and another $25 for completing an on-line health lifestyle class.  I did the assessment this morning and will take the class this afternoon.  Even better you can get the bonus once a year so I've set a reminder for January.  I need to talk DH into doing it also so we'll get $150 total.

$150 in Visa gift cards should pretty much take care of Christmas.

That's excellent!

I called my health insurance provider last night to ask about switching to a cheaper policy. We can afford it, but it's $290 a month and we rarely use it.

He looked at all the lower policies, which offer less coverage than we have, and they were all more expensive than our current policy. And this year we've paid $66/month (of the $290/month) in extras coverage, which is about $800, and they've paid out $847 so we are just ahead.

I was a bit annoyed because I'm used to being able to negotiate these things, but my mum pointed out we're obviously not wasting money on it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4635 on: October 28, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »
Gave in and installed iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 5 last night. Phone had been on its last legs as more and more things refused to work on old OS. Limited memory is slightly inconvenient but it looks like I will be able to limp it along for a while longer.

It's currently costing me $0 (on a $30 plan and get a $30 phone subsidy from work) so I'm keen to make it last as long as I can.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4636 on: October 28, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
I stopped at the bread thrift store for a loaf of bread that I like.  It is 3.29 at the grocery and I can get it at the thrift store for $1.09.  I was pleasantly surprised that they were having BOGO sale, so I got two loafs for $1.09.  Then they had packages of hoagie rolls  3 for a dollar.  It will make great garlic bread.  So I got two loaves of whole wheat bread and three bags of hoagie rolls for $2.09.  Nice.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4637 on: October 28, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Gave in and installed iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 5 last night. Phone had been on its last legs as more and more things refused to work on old OS. Limited memory is slightly inconvenient but it looks like I will be able to limp it along for a while longer.

It's currently costing me $0 (on a $30 plan and get a $30 phone subsidy from work) so I'm keen to make it last as long as I can.

Awesome. Can I ask what OS you upgraded from? I'm limping along with my 4S and things seemed to improved when I finally upgraded to OS8* (whatever the latest version of OS8 was before OS9 came out). It really helped with random crashes and it may have slightly improved the battery life. If your phone improved from OS8 to OS9.1 then I may force myself to go through another update to see if that helps eke out my 4S for longer. (I was all keen to get a 6 last month but then costed it out with my telecom provider of choice and yeah, the cost is making me think more about keeping my 4S going a bit longer)

* I am the opposite of an early adopter. It's a combination of procrastination plus not caring enough to upgrade before I absolutely have to.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4638 on: October 28, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »
Used the magic power of YouTube tutorials to extract corroded batteries from a Mag-lite, saving $30 versus throwing it away and buying a replacement.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4639 on: October 28, 2015, 11:03:58 PM »

Awesome. Can I ask what OS you upgraded from? I'm limping along with my 4S and things seemed to improved when I finally upgraded to OS8* (whatever the latest version of OS8 was before OS9 came out). It really helped with random crashes and it may have slightly improved the battery life. If your phone improved from OS8 to OS9.1 then I may force myself to go through another update to see if that helps eke out my 4S for longer. (I was all keen to get a 6 last month but then costed it out with my telecom provider of choice and yeah, the cost is making me think more about keeping my 4S going a bit longer)

* I am the opposite of an early adopter. It's a combination of procrastination plus not caring enough to upgrade before I absolutely have to.

I was still on iOS 7-something, so it was a big jump.

I did the same thing, priced a 6 (not 6s or 6+) and it's at least $70/month.

My husband has a 6+ on an $80 plan but over the past 15 months his phone bill has averaged $186 (either blown data, bought data packs for travelling overseas, or both) so I'm looking at moving him on the $135 plan. That would increase our set expenses but we should save money in the long run.

It is essential for his work (writing, taking photos, shooting video, recording voice-overs, mapping, internet, etc) so it's all tax deductible, but I do try to make it as cost effective as possible.

If I put him on the $135 plan it comes with 20GB data, so I did work out I could go on a 500mb plan and share his data through Optus. A small saving.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4640 on: October 29, 2015, 02:58:01 AM »

I was still on iOS 7-something, so it was a big jump.

I did the same thing, priced a 6 (not 6s or 6+) and it's at least $70/month.

My husband has a 6+ on an $80 plan but over the past 15 months his phone bill has averaged $186 (either blown data, bought data packs for travelling overseas, or both) so I'm looking at moving him on the $135 plan. That would increase our set expenses but we should save money in the long run.

It is essential for his work (writing, taking photos, shooting video, recording voice-overs, mapping, internet, etc) so it's all tax deductible, but I do try to make it as cost effective as possible.

If I put him on the $135 plan it comes with 20GB data, so I did work out I could go on a 500mb plan and share his data through Optus. A small saving.

Thanks for your response! I prefer Telstra for reliability and coverage but their plans are pretty shitty. (I don't know if other providers have upped their game in recent months, but I'm not game to have less coverage or less capacity at certain times of the day - being able to phone DH, friends or medical team for assistance anywhere, anytime is crucial for me) I'm looking at $99/month for 2.5G for a 6 with Telstra. Which feels like too much, even though my phone is integral to my life and adds a lot of value, including managing anxiety.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4641 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
To be vague for confidentiality reasons, I was selected as a beta tester for an energy saving product. 

I will end up saving on energy, getting paid (Probably $150-$200 Amazon bucks), and I get to keep a new product for posting feedback daily (simple).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4642 on: October 29, 2015, 11:55:04 PM »
Combined online sales with a rewards program to save $60 and score 1000 Frequent Flyer points on Christmas shopping. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4643 on: October 30, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
Picked up a free 2016 calendar from a local business. It's exactly the type I like with attractive-enough pictures to hang up the calendar in its usual spot near the kitchen, and minimal advertising. I'm a bit of a Luddite with tracking appts, invitations etc so everything goes on the calendar. Otherwise we forget. Electronic scheduling only works for me at work for some reason.

Anyway, saved somewhere between $2 and $20 on a calendar for next year.

Combined online sales with a rewards program to save $60 and score 1000 Frequent Flyer points on Christmas shopping.

Forgot to say, love your username. (except often I read it as mustache pung oes here)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4644 on: October 30, 2015, 06:04:47 AM »
I just finished my set of credit card applications for the quarter.  Spend $x, get $x as an account credit.  So I'll get $500 for my normal spending, then I'll freeze all of the cards. 

$500 straight towards principal, yay!

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4645 on: October 30, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
Started a pot of dried posole in the slow cooker.  In a few hours I will add a pint of carne adovada from a big batch I made and froze a few months ago.  Currently eating cabbage cooked in leftover Chinese Pork broth for breakfast.  We are eating a lot of cabbage right now due to it being $0.29/lb. locally.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #4646 on: October 31, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
Assembled Halloween costume out of items/clothing already around the house.  I'm a Minion :)

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4647 on: October 31, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
We were out at a community thing where they were selling pizza, water & juice boxes.  Coffee was free.

My LO was thirsty.  I was scrambling to find $1 for the bottled water.  5y old little one pointed to the coffee cups and said "I don't need a bottle, there are cups and the tap and it's free."

Super proud!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4648 on: October 31, 2015, 03:58:36 PM »
Got my flu shot at CVS. Insurance paid, and I received a 20 percent off coupon towards a future purchase.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4649 on: October 31, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »
Installed a new wifi thermostat today...
*Got the thermostat from a liquidation store for 40% off
*A simple programmable thermostat wouldn't necessarily work for me, since my schedule is different from day to day and from week to week, so now I will have better control over the house.  I expect my bill to drop a fair amount.  It will be fun to compare to last year.
*Connected my own "c" wire, which involved climbing into the attic and deciphering the furnace manual so I could figure out where to hook it up.