Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 8021184 times)

lakemom

• Bristles
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2250 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
Called and got both a late fee waived on my phone bill (it shouldn't have been late) and while on the phone switched up service to save $30 per month going forward.  Double win. 

Baked gluten free bread for about $.50 a loaf saving $5.00 over the cost of store bought AND its a bigger loaf. 

Made 10 phone calls for school fundraiser soliciting donations for our big silent auction fundraiser next month.  No actual money saved but as long as we can keep the fundraising high the tuition won't go up.  As a bonus I am taking 5 (or 7 if the 3rd couple can make it) people who do not have kids at the school (or kids in school at all LOL) one of whom is really excited as she used to support the local school where she previously lived.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: January 23, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
Turkey bones boiling away on the stove with water, seasonings, onions, celery and garlic. Will make for a nice turkey barley soup for dinner.

Keeping lights off inside even though it's rainy and dark this afternoon.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2252 on: January 23, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
Just tried to fix some unset grape jelly with chia seeds.  A friend recently told me she makes chia seed strawberry jam and her kids can't tell the difference (she just tells them its strawberry seeds).  So, I googled some recipes and mixed 1/4 cup chia seeds into a pint of unset grape jelly and will check on it in a couple of hours or in the am and see how it went.  If that worked I will do it with the rest one jar at a time so I don't have to recan it.  I may try it with some blueberries we have in the freezer too that need used up.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Made a salad for lunch today with lettuce before it went bad.

Convinced my girlfriend to cut my hair so I didn't have to go to the salon. Looks super cute. Thanks to the MMM crowd for this idea.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #2254 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
I did my normally 1x per week bike/train commute every day this week, rather than spending the gas $ for the 60 mile roundtrip commute. Saved some money and got in over 100 miles of biking!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2255 on: January 24, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
I had a no-spend day at home today.  I'm recovering from the flu and feeling much better today, so grateful for that.  The flu sucks. 

I also saved money today by line drying some things that I will give a gentle tumble later.  I took some liquid items out of my trunk before they froze.  Finally received the HOA's new parking permit before they tow my clown car. 

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #2256 on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
Got about 150 retaining wall Techo Bloc blocks for just the expense of me picking them up with the work truck, hauling them home, and unloading them myself block by block up the steps and around to the side of the house.  I have to rebuild a wall on the side of the house this year and trolling the free craigslist section paid off instead of paying ~$5/block.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2257 on: January 24, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
Today has been a busy day!  I walked to the gym this morning (after walking my dog for an hour) instead of driving.  I used the last of a gift card for breakfast on the walk home from the gym. 

Once home I started cooking for the week.  I made (not) butter chicken (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/not-butter-chicken/) and Kung Pao Chicken (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/05/kung-pao-chicken-vegetables/) for lunches and dinners during the week.  I also made a huge pot of mashed potatoes to use up potatoes that were starting to sprout.  I'm making some shredded chicken in the crockpot because I'm going to make chicken enchiladas tomorrow (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-creamy-chicken-black-bean-enchiladas/).  I also made a few batches of rice in the rice cooker while I was in the kitchen. 

We're going to a friend's house for games and dinner tonight.  We're bringing sriracha chicken strips (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/04/sriracha-chicken-strips/) and chocolate chip cookies.  I made both during my afternoon cooking frenzy.  I'm going to bring over a bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of white wine from our stash.  We stock up on our favorite wine when we can get it on sale.  We don't buy anything in bulk except wine!

I used a lot of cans of food that we had leftover (tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans).  I also used up small bits of frozen vegetables in the Kung Pao chicken.  I had 3 open frozen vegetable bags that only had about 1/2 cup remaining. 

I'm jealous of lithy's luck with the blocks!  I'm going to start looking at craigslist for inexpensive things to help with our backyard landscaping.  Thanks for the tip, lithy!

mc6, I'm sorry to hear that you're sick.  I had the flu a few weeks ago, and it knocked me on my butt.  I hope you make a speedy recovery!

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #2258 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
Made 3.8 litres of butternut squash soup for about $6. I used to buy it premade at approx $1 per mL. That's about $38 worth of soup for $6. Yay.

$1 per mL?!?!  I hope you meant $1 per 100 mL ... otherwise that would be $3800 worth of soup for $6!

At least it's still cheaper than printer ink. (I don't own a printer, so I save money on that every day. I print less than once a week)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2259 on: January 24, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
At a hotel for the weekend -- that wasn't saving money:-(  BUT, we have bought all of our food at the grocery store except for the free breakfasts both days at the hotel (really taking advantage of this!).

Went into the art gallery lobby and were planning to pay the admission and go on in. But we looked at the shows which were not super interesting to us ... didn't go in, which saved us $40!

Didn't go in the huge downtown shopping mall at all even though we were walking by!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2260 on: January 25, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
*  Did a trip to Costco; but managed to spend only $75!  I rarely get out of there for less than $100, so this is great progress.

*  A friend treated me to lunch! 

*  I participated in a community event and was invited to partake in their dinner buffet.  Free dinner, also!

*  Went to the movies and it hurt a little to spend the $10 for the ticket, but I resisted the snack counter.

BONUS:  Gave 5 sand bags to someone who wanted them for her garden.  I was done with them and she needed sand . . . so was happy to save her the expense.

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #2261 on: January 25, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
I walked to the library and checked out a couple books, instead of buying them on my Kindle.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2262 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
1) Leftover turkey soup used for lunch for the family today.

2) Massive number of books returned and taken out from library by the kids.

3) Set up YNAB finally!

4) Turned off furnace in the day.

5) Walk at the beach for free entertainment (except for parking meter).

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2263 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
 - packed everything I need for a two week trip into a carry-on so wouldn't have to pay for checked bag - this is huge for me!
 - got all the paperwork printed and singed to open a Questrade account
 - tossed around the idea of going out for brunch this morning - stayed home and made our own awesome breakfast sandwiches instead.
 - Hubby fixed the fan in my mom's laptop saving her several hundred dollars and getting us an invite to a fancy homemade prime rib dinner :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2264 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
I cooked a bag of black beans and made veggie burgers.  Turned out very well. 
Can you post the recipe?
Cut up a bunch of apples from a friend's orchard.  I have enough in the freezer for 7 apple pies now, all for the price of a visit I took anyways to see my friend!
Do you do any prep for freezing?

I'm also curious about these "freezer meals" and freezing fruit. Don't look at me sideways after I ask, but when you put these items in the freezer, what exactly do you do when you take them out? I.e do I need to let the apples or bananas just sit on the counter for a few hours? The frozen meals, is there a method to cooking them after theyve been frozen (oven vs microwave)?

I tried researching online about freezer meals but I keep just coming up with different meals that have been good to freeze. There's nothing about what todo when you actually decide to eat the freezer meal. I almost feel silly asking.

The easiest method is to stick the frozen meal in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it, then heat however you'd normally heat it the next night (for me, that's usually the microwave). In practice, I very often forget, so the "defrost" setting on the microwave sees a lot of use. It heats slowly enough to thaw without crisping or even really heating up the outer edges that way if you do it by weight (I take an educated guess) or just do it a minute or two at a time. You'll fairly quickly get a sense of how long things take.

I tend to cook with frozen fruit like apples, so say I'm making a cobbler, I just put in the apples or whatever still frozen and check the cobbler at the end of the usual cook time, but figure it might not quite be done yet. For a pie, I cook the filling on the stove, anyway, so I just throw in frozen apples/ berries/ whatever and it maybe takes an extra minute or two. If you make anything like pork and apples in a crock pot, just throw the apples in frozen.

Frozen bananas most often become smoothies or 'ice cream' around here, so they go in the blender straight from the freezer. If I'm using something like frozen pumpkin purée in pasta sauce, I stick it in the fridge to thaw the night before if I remember, but otherwise I just put the frozen chunk in the sauce on the stove and it melts given a little time.
+1
Rural is almost exactly what I do...   
except I usually don't thaw the meal first, but stick it straight into the oven or microwave, or even crockpot, depending on what it is  / size.

Fruit -- I will eat frozen berries and sliced peaches straight, they thaw a bit in my bowl, with my granola, but otherwise, fruit is blended frozen for mock ice cream / smoothies, or cooked with (sauce, cake, cobbler).  Bananas need to thaw for at least 5 minutes, so you can take/cut the peel off.  (I toss them whole into freezer when they are too spotty).
Veg - microwave or steam and eat.   If I freeze "glazed" carrots, they taste better than just "diced carrots".  Raw diced frozen onions straight into the pan.  Same with frozen stock.
Casserole type dishes (lasagna, shepards pie) -- pop in the oven 350'F with a temperature probe set to stop the oven at 165'F. 
Most other dishes can be reheated easily in a large frypan, straight from frozen if you add a little boiling water and cover for the first 5 minutes.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2265 on: January 25, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
Turned the rest of the potatoes from my dad's garden into mashed potatoes for lunches.

Made more gift bags from scrap pieces of fabric.

Sold an old telescope I haven't used in ages.

Fixed my hiking boots so I won't need to buy new ones for Inca Trail!

Made boyfriend's birthday gift (with homemade gift bag too).

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2266 on: January 25, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
Yesterday was a good day:

1) fixed shower nozzle leak for free (just a chair and some time) instead of buying replacement
2) Bought $2.99 used fleece blanket at goodwill, cut up to use as guinea pig bedding (wash and reuse)
3) Played Boardgame at home with family instead of movie
4) Defrosted freezer and organized it, finding food that we are eating today instead of buying more
5) Watched sales to buy Turbo Tax at a (net to me) $10 discount -- it rarely goes on sale.
6) Thought a lot about MMM's post on 2014 spending.  Lots of blown apart assumptions on my end, fresh thinking for the new year about what is "needed" for a family with kids.... two tanks of gas implies a starkly different (yet good) lifestyle... in so many ways... I had assumed that after 7 y.o. kids start needing activities,  friends social visits, or doctor appoints or whatever, that require more driving... but they don't have to, do they... hmmm.....  another thread post....

Last week - adjusted RRSP direct deposit to match my raise, submitted receipts for health benefit claims

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2267 on: January 25, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Our housemate came home from a friend's yesterday evening with half a bag of fresh-picked apricots and cherry-plums! (stone-fruit country is about a 2-3 hour drive from here, and they'd done a day-trip to pick fruit).  Housemate said there was no way she was going to get through it all, so we could have it :) 

So today, I picked through and washed all the apricots that were still firm (and thus still mostly unbruised), and put them out on the bench for eating.  And I now have 3 jars of apricot and cherry jam cooling on my bench.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2268 on: January 25, 2015, 04:53:37 PM »
Used what was in the house to do a bit of cooking to get us through the first week or so back at work and school (holidays... I miss you).  I made -

24 mini sausage rolls (for tiny duck's lunchbox)
4 x large vegetarian rolls (for my lunch)
1 x meatloaf - dinner  and sandwiches
24ish pikelets (TD  lunchbox)
16 banana choc chip muffins (patty cake sized) - TD lunchbox
12 corn & capsicum fritters (my lunch)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2269 on: January 25, 2015, 06:27:46 PM »
Went on an exciting trip to visit the Goodwill bin store in the next town.  Packed a thermos of coffee and a box of granola bars (2 boxes/$1.00 from Grocery Outlet) so we would have a snack when we got hungry.  Wound up spending $28.85 at the bin store.  In the old days we would have dropped that much for lunch and then gone shopping.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2270 on: January 25, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
Had a no-spend weekend :)
Made a couple big batches of dinners from the pantry so I have lunch for at least half the week
Looked up homeowner's insurance quotes & I think I can cut my annual costs by around $400 by raising the deductible -- have to call tomorrow

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2271 on: January 25, 2015, 06:46:57 PM »
*  Made bread and navy bean soup (from dry beans) to use for lunch this coming week. 

*  Bought a less expensive (but still good quality) kitty food and trying it out.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2272 on: January 25, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Bought frozen veggies instead of fresh for the green soup I've been making almost every week, since they were much cheaper.

Was rummaging through the frozen halibut steaks and happened to find two that were marked at a lower price/lb than all the rest, so snagged them for tomorrow's dinner.

Ate leftovers for dinner tonight.

Called Discover Card because my card was being declined, and they're doing 5% back on gas this quarter.  Bonehead me, I'd accidentally cut up a new card they'd sent last fall, and was trying to use the old one, which wasn't expired.  They had a new card on my doorstep within 24 hours.  Amazing!

Was dying for a Gatorade after being sick for several days, but waited to get one at the grocery store for .78 instead of like $2 at the mini mart.

Did some online research and found that I can probably coordinate getting a saddle repair done locally if I order the parts, saving at least $60 shipping it off somewhere.

Sunnysof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2273 on: January 26, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »
Went to a community story time with the kids, scored free snacks at the event and a free book for each kid, then went home and created our own shadow puppet theatre, based on what we saw at story time!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2274 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:41 AM »
Went to the park and ate lunch packed from home as a picnic. Though we went by car, we saved money not being home and watching TV!

Dropped off and picked up books from library.

Returned items we bought and were no longer useful.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #2275 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »
Rather than ordering a new control board for our oven hood, I took the time to take it apart and figure out the problem.  A switch toggle device was a little loose.  One zip tie later - applied in an unconventional way - and whammo - we have an overhead light once more.   No replacement part nor shipping fees necessary.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2276 on: January 26, 2015, 12:28:49 PM »
  • Last weekend: fixed a hole in my roof (a falling branch had hit hard enough to break through the sheathing!) for free, using materials I already had on hand from a previous repair
  • Last week: Noticed a late fee due to my bank failing to notify me of an e-bill; called bank to get reimbursement
  • Yesterday: installed a ceiling fan (including going up to the attic to replace the ceiling electrical box with a fan-rated one) -- not only do I save by not having to hire an electrician, I should be able to set the thermostat a little higher this summer.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2277 on: January 26, 2015, 12:58:43 PM »
Got a great balance transfer offer and got approved and moved a big credit card bill with crazy interest to a very low interest. Keeping on track w/ my snowball!

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #2278 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
I washed my car! OK, it was yesterday, but I'm still proud of myself. Such a small, small thing, but the local car wash always rips me off when I take my car for its once-a-year bath, as they always manage to upsell me on special mold-removing treatment or some such. Elbow grease for the win!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2279 on: January 26, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
1) Picked up a book on hold at a different library than our usual one. They charge you $1 if you don't pick up your request within 1 week. (its by Simon Wiiesenthal and is called "The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness" fyi -- heard about it at church last Sunday - amazing to me that I only have to wait 8 days for a book to be in my hands - the old me would have ordered it from Amazon for sure!)

2) Hung a load of laundry outside to dry -- in January! Warm sunny day here in the PNW. Left the furnace off all of last night, and today as well.

3) Crockpot full of pinto beans bubbling away for this week. Will plan some dishes around these beans. Also have a roast going in the 2nd crockpot from our side of beef. Making buns this afternoon for beef dip dinner. Hope to make sweet potato oven fries to go with it. And maybe a coleslaw too.

4) Hemming son's pants this afternoon once they dry on the line.

5) Kids ordering in lots of DK Eyewitness Books for homeschooling. Old me would definitely have been buying up these books. The great thing is, like MMM says, the library is just a storage facility for MY books <wink> and we can take them out over and over again.

6) Reordering "The Worst Hard Time" from the library. I didn't get through it. Even though I will have to wait a while for it, I don't mind since I don't have to pay $$ for it. Again, I definitely would have paid money for this book in the past.

7) Drinking lots of tea from my stash.

8) Kids are climbing the trees in my yard -- free entertainment!

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2280 on: January 26, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
Ate the brezel out of a brezel machine rather than acquiring it at the cafeteria. Saved 0.20€ :D

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2281 on: January 26, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
Redeemed grocery points for 10 cents off per gallon of gas to fill up the car just in case this storm gets really yucky

Got a really nice $1200 couch for $180 from a Facebook buy/sell/trade group (we've owned this house for a year and have never had a living room couch...my family is starting to get annoyed when they come over, lol)

Resisted the urge to find an emergency plow guy for the 30" of snow the media is hyping about -- we might have to shovel 5x tomorrow but it's a free workout!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2282 on: January 26, 2015, 06:17:42 PM »
Used online classifieds to find a whole case of regular mouth canning lids for only $72.  (That's only $1.20/dozen)  They cost $2.19 at the grocery store regularly, and I haven't found a cost effective means of ordering from the internet.  So this is awesome!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2283 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »
Cashed out my MyPoints account for an Amazon GC. Then I used all but $3 to buy next month's dog food supply.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2284 on: January 26, 2015, 08:42:53 PM »
Made "pizza" using spaghetti squash as a base for the crust, home canned tomatoes and sauce, and other bits I pulled from the fridge and cupboards.

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2285 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:58 PM »
Trying hard to come up with something today . . .

*  Kitty flatly rejected the new food, so I bought the "big" bag of the regular - which cost more up front, but cheaper overall.

*  Gas prices are down, so even though I had to fill up, it was only $30

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2286 on: January 26, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »
Sewed myself a duffle bag today for an upcoming trek. :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2287 on: January 26, 2015, 09:56:29 PM »
Minor things.

Today is cool and drizzly and about 10degC colder than yesterday.  My bare feet were cold and getting colder.  My slippers were a long heavily-pregnant trek up the stairs, whereas the controller for the heatpump was right there.  Trekked up the stairs.

Baked potatoes for dinner.  While oven was heating up, I par-cooked the potatoes in the microwave for 10min, reducing the overall time the oven needed to be on.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #2288 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »
It was a few days ago, but I fixed a squealing exhaust fan in our bathroom. About 30 minutes, some compressed air to blow off dust, a couple paper towels to clean off old grime, and a little oil for lubrication and it's nice and quiet. Much cheaper than rushing down to Home Depot and buying a new fan or paying a handyman to investigate and repair.

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2289 on: January 26, 2015, 10:09:58 PM »
Minor things.

Today is cool and drizzly and about 10degC colder than yesterday.  My bare feet were cold and getting colder.  My slippers were a long heavily-pregnant trek up the stairs, whereas the controller for the heatpump was right there.  Trekked up the stairs.

Wow! You climbed the stairs! I am impressed. ;-)

crispy

« Reply #2290 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
Gave myself a haircut...not a trim...a cut!  I had DH clean up the back a bit, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2291 on: January 26, 2015, 10:45:53 PM »
Minor things.

Wow! You climbed the stairs! I am impressed. ;-)

I know, right?  I deserve some sort of medal.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2292 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:39 PM »
Baked potatoes for dinner.  While oven was heating up, I par-cooked the potatoes in the microwave for 10min, reducing the overall time the oven needed to be on.

GREAT IDEA! I've never heard that one before and will definitely add this to my repertoire of cooking techniques!

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2293 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:32 AM »
Picked 3kg of plums from the tree next to our local Aldi store. Saved buying fruit for the week.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2294 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:17 AM »
Gave myself a haircut...not a trim...a cut!  I had DH clean up the back a bit, and it looks pretty good if I do say so myself.
Same, except SO has to do the back still. This haircut cost $50 (the cost of the equipment). The rest will be free!

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2295 on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:28 AM »
Refilled the reused facial wash bottle that we use for dish washing soap from the gallon jug found in the trash.

Mixed up a batch of amazing stain cleaner (http://moderndaymoms.com/homemade-miracle-cleaner/#) and saved two of DH’s shirts that were destined for the trash since nothing else got the stains out.

Meals for the week planned using marked down meats and sale produce for all.   

Had a stay at home weekend – highlights were a two hour hike on Saturday and trip to the library on Sunday.

Finished updating/reconciling everything for 2014 so I can start our taxes and plan budget for this year.   

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2296 on: January 27, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
Resisted the urge to find an emergency plow guy for the 30" of snow the media is hyping about -- we might have to shovel 5x tomorrow but it's a free workout!

I am starting to regret this decision....  at least 18" of snow and counting, not predicted to stop until 9 pm tonight.  That's what I get for assuming the media was being dramatic!

NewMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2297 on: January 27, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I recently got a shorter haircut and realized that I had been using way too much shampoo each time I showered - I halved my usage and haven't even noticed the difference!

StubbledCPA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2298 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:08 PM »
Forgot to bring a can of soup for my quick office lunch (bought on sale for $.63 a can so hard to beat the price).  Instead of going out for food, I used the bread and natural peanut butter I had in the office desk drawer and a banana from the break room to make some PB Banana sandwiches.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2299 on: January 27, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
Wearing a wool hat and socks as I type.  Cheaper than turning up the heat.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!