Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 2371717 times)

divsnowball

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Snowball
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #2250 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:43 AM »
I bought a modem so comcast would quit charging me $10 a month to rent theirs!!!  My bill mysteriously went up $2 so I went on to look and realized they raised my modem rental from $8 to $10!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:27 AM »
Had to get a new password and changed it to include the words "no" and "spend" (among other letters and numbers of course) - did this last time and included the name of the multivitamins I've been taking and it really helped with remembering to take it regularly. Kind of like a type of subliminal message to not spend money.

ahhh I do this too with goals!! love it :)

BF and I usually take our dinner leftovers for lunch, but we didn't have much leftover from last night. I was pondering going home for lunch to make something, but not sure I would have time, and was sort of planning on just buying something overpriced from the work cafeteria when I remembered... we still had leftover split pea soup from the weekend! it's filling and delicious :)

also, I have a dinner planned for tonight that involves using up what we have on hand/no trip to the grocery store... saves time AND money!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2252 on: January 21, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
*  froze 4 cups of homemade spicy black beans (made in crockpot) for later use in making tamales
*  used a quilt for warmth rather than the heater
*  made hummus from a 69 cent can of garbanzos rather than buy premade (I know, can do better by using dry beans next time)
*  waited 2 hours for bread dough to rise to make bread rather than buy it at the store

First post - yay!  I love this thread :) 

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2253 on: January 21, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
Forgot my Kindle at home this morning, so had nothing to "do" on my lunch hour.

I rejected:
Going home to get it (~$1.20 in gas)
Playing around on the internet on my phone (~$3, if I keep under 100MB of data, which I usually do, BECAUSE I don't play around on it)

So I ate the soup I brought for lunch, slowly, and then just sat.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #2254 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:21 PM »
... pre-order of Downton Abbey a few weeks ago.  Even though the items were coming from different places, Amazon wouldn't ship the charger free until the end of January when DA is released.  This morning I found my charger (in a shoe, wtf?), so went in an cancelled the whole order.  We can record the show or get it on NetFlix.  $38 saved.

Good for you finding your charger. You can watch Downton Abbey free on the PBS website for now. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/ They might take the episodes down a little while after the season ends so that people have a reason to buy the DVDs.

As for my small thing to save money, I made bread in the breadmaker tonight, which I'll use for toast and sandwiches.

Good to know.  It's stupid, but I like to buy the whole season of shows so I can binge-watch them if I feel like it.  I'm pretty inept at streaming shows to the TV, but could figure it out or get DH to do it if I'm too impatient to wait for them to show up on the DVR.  I always re-sell the discs when I'm done, but it's still a net loss, so still pretty stupid.

Netskyblue - you could always load your Kindle book onto your phone while you're on wifi, then you'll have something to read when you forget the Kindle.

Stayed home sick today, so I'm eating up the random leftovers instead of making anything new.

Probably not saving me actual money, but I'm working from home this afternoon to reduce the amount of sick leave used.  It's reassuring having a nice fat stash of sick leave.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2255 on: January 21, 2015, 01:44:51 PM »
*  froze 4 cups of homemade spicy black beans (made in crockpot) for later use in making tamales
*  used a quilt for warmth rather than the heater
*  made hummus from a 69 cent can of garbanzos rather than buy premade (I know, can do better by using dry beans next time)
*  waited 2 hours for bread dough to rise to make bread rather than buy it at the store

First post - yay!  I love this thread :)
Welcome!

I carpooled to work.  I packed both breakfast and lunch from home.  Brewed several cups of tea while at work.  I invited some friends to a free workout class next month instead of another happy hour or dinner out.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2256 on: January 21, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »
Made my first home made lasagna noodles today. 

Armer Student

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2257 on: January 21, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
2nd day of the new job (first job after university <3), 1st day cycling there. It was -5°C and ~32km (20mls) round-trip.

I got cold because of too much sweating and was pretty exhausted on the last few kilometers ... more food next time prior to the ride!

Feels great. :)

btw .. the trip saved me 6,20€ on public transport or 6€ of car costs. 8-)

today I removed a layer of clothing -- still enough warmth for me. Packed lunch, biked, saved >10€ today.

I feel so great tonight. No exhaustion, only (or "just"?) "pure cycling pleasure" as my employer would put it. :)

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #2258 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
Made my first home made lasagna noodles today.

Nice! Homemade pasta is so much tastier!

I made a batch of homemade sundried tomato and herb fettuccine and sauce for the freezer for my Hubby to eat while I am out of town. Also made some veggie korrma and apricot chicken tajine and rice for his lunches, a batch of mini  breads and some double stuffed baked potatoes.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2259 on: January 21, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »
Netskyblue - you could always load your Kindle book onto your phone while you're on wifi, then you'll have something to read when you forget the Kindle.

True, but they don't tell us employees the company wi-fi password :(  There's no place nearby that I know of that has free wi-fi.

Hadilly

• Stubble
« Reply #2260 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »
Locked in a refinance today! 625k, 3.75%, no points! (We have a condo and weird restrictions on lenders, so this is a great deal for us)

This will allow us to pay off our annoying second mortgage with deferred interest, saving us lots of money moving forward and when we ultimately sell.

Realized there is a cheaper DIY flooring alternative than the 6k job we had been contemplating. Yeah! Money not yet saved, but the planning is underway.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #2261 on: January 21, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
Swapped both my primary and rental unit home owners insurance from $2500 to $5000 deductibles.
Saving $142 and $68 for the next year.

Kwill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2262 on: January 21, 2015, 07:50:56 PM »
... I'm pretty inept at streaming shows to the TV, but could figure it out or get DH to do it if I'm too impatient to wait for them to show up on the DVR.
I don't have a TV, but I have a comfy chair in front of my home PC. Pretty much comes to the same thing if I'm just watching by myself.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2263 on: January 21, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »
Took smaller car instead of van on a 2 hour roundtrip visit to friend's house.

Left the heat off while we were away today.

Hung up a load of laundry tonight on drying racks.

Ate dinner from the freezer instead of stopping at drivethru on the way home from all day visit. Food wasn't very healthy (fish sticks and french fries) but was cheaper than the alternative.  I like to keep "emergency food" in my freezer for days such as these.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2264 on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:24 AM »
Stopped at library to pick books for the next two weeks.

Returned something we had bought earlier but didn't use (earlier it would remain as clutter, now its reclaimed money)

Asked doctor to give prescription for my baby's formula so it can be covered by insurance instead of being out of pocket

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2265 on: January 22, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
*  It is payday!  Gave every dollar a "job" and transferred/withdrew, accordingly.  Now just have to follow the plan.
*  Brought leftover homemade hummus and bread to work for lunch.
*  Researching a couple "side hustle" ideas.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
« Reply #2266 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:46 AM »
I do my own laundry in my studio apartment with a portable washing machine.  Lately, I've been a little lazy and have been paying to dry the laundry in the apartment complex laundry room dryers.  Kicked myself in the butt this week and pulled out the drying rack again.  Saved about $5.

Tonight I'm going to prepare the ingredients for slow-cooker chicken tikka masala.  I'll fire up the crockpot tomorrow morning and have dinner (and lunch and dinner and lunch) done for the rest of the weekend. :-)  Bonus points - I'm de-skinning and de-boning the chicken thighs myself.  Saved another $5 over buying boneless/skinless thighs.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2267 on: January 22, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
I enjoy reading this thread SO much! It's like my
Daily Dose of frugality booster medicine! I thought of something this morning that I'm going to try. I'm going to put a scrap piece of paper in my kitchen and joy down all the little frugal things I do in the day today to see if I can push myself harder than I usually do :-)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2268 on: January 22, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
Raining all day so tried to read a book.  Then, being the kind that can't sit still for long, went and found a use for that shelf we've packed with us to two houses.  Cut to length, drilled holes in an existing entertainment center, installed clips, and installed the shelf.  Thus, added a new shelf in less than 30 minutes.  Now back to the book.

MountainGal

• Bristles
« Reply #2269 on: January 22, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
You guys are rocking it!

Just had leftovers from yesterday's lunch for today's lunch.

Dried beans soaking at home, will put into the slow cooker with Sunday's ham hock.

Was going to visit a client's job site and called first with no answer so didn't go.  Saved a 30 mile round trip.

Have reduced the amount of coffee I put into the machine every morning.

We're having leftover ham steaks from Sunday's pork butt tonight for supper.

Despite the 20 degree weather, I parked farther away from the office today.

Kitchen duty last night:  I use store brand vinegar to clean, and didn't run the dishwasher because it's not completely full.

Double checked my check register and am glad I did.  I added instead of subtracted an entry and am glad I caught the error!

We aren't turning up the heat, instead we're wearing socks, slippers and blankets while lounging in the evenings.  Our bed has 3 blankets on it and is soooo comfortable.  Our December 2014 utility bill was $2.14 less than 2013. :)

**Am researching low carb unsweetened almond milk recipe ideas if anyone has any.  I've got nearly a full carton to use up in the next 2 days.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:34:39 PM by MountainGal »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2270 on: January 22, 2015, 01:49:23 PM »
Forgot to pack my lunch.  I ate some of my food stash from my office closet. 

Currently drinking water.

For breakfast, I had a premade smoothie (strawberries, spinach, peaches, yogurt and milk) and a few cups of hot tea.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2271 on: January 22, 2015, 03:18:54 PM »
Didn't have to work today, except for an hour, in which we met for lunch at a restaurant. (Work paid!)  Instead of pulling out the car, I walked the 2ish miles.  And then took the long way back to the house afterwards.  Didn't go to the dollar movie afterward... more because it was a nice day out and I wanted a walk than to save the dollar, but still.  I saved a dollar.

Picked up a half marathon entry last night at a super huge discount when nobody bid on it during silent auction fundraiser.  $15 for an entry that usually costs $85?  I'll take that.  Bonus:  Now I really have no excuse not to go running...
I have a journal! $10 at a time
And a Kitchen Renovation thread! Kitchen Reno

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2272 on: January 22, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
10dollarsatatime, I LOVE your screen name! That's so great!

midweststache

• Bristles
« Reply #2273 on: January 22, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
Leftovers for lunch. (Different) leftovers for dinner. Skipped the beer that usually goes with chili leftovers--had a half glass of milk (to counter the heat) and my big reusable bottle of water instead.

Requested books from the library instead of going straight to Amazon.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2274 on: January 22, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
Sometimes finding something to post here is hard. I checked it audiobooks from the library today, but I can't say I saved any money because there's no way I would ever buy an audiobook. So I spent a little extra in the form of gas because the library is about four miles out of my way.

I packed my lunch and my husband's, but I always do. I cooked supper, but that's what I do on week nights at the very least (actually getting much better about eating out on weekends now).

I didn't buy anything, but that's normal, too, unless I need gas to get to work.

First world problems, huh?

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2275 on: January 22, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
Weird one.  I wanted a pair of fleece lined leggings, but didn't want to pay for them.  Also the website I often buy that sort of thing from only had them in packs of 3 or 6!

So I sent a message to my best friend, and she has 12 pairs from the same website.  She's giving me 2 :-)  We trade clothes and things all the time, love it!  I promised her some scented candles I no longer want, so next time I see her we'll trade.

takeahike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2276 on: January 22, 2015, 10:30:51 PM »
Made 3.8 litres of butternut squash soup for about $6. I used to buy it premade at approx $1 per mL. That's about $38 worth of soup for $6. Yay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:36:30 PM by takeahike »

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2277 on: January 23, 2015, 01:40:07 AM »
Cooked a turkey bought on sale at Thanksgiving. It tasted wonderful!

Hung a load of laundry. Trying really hard to make this a habit. Looking forward to outdoor line drying again in the spring.

Bleached a white (now pinkish) sweater for the 2nd time today, trying to salvage it.

Stretched my loose tea leaves to 3 cups instead of the usual 2.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2278 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:36 AM »
Made 3.8 litres of butternut squash soup for about $6. I used to buy it premade at approx $1 per mL. That's about $38 worth of soup for $6. Yay.

$1 per mL?!?!  I hope you meant $1 per 100 mL ... otherwise that would be $3800 worth of soup for $6!

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2279 on: January 23, 2015, 08:06:36 AM »
I'm about to go and get a pedicure(!) with specially-designated gifted thank-you money. It came with a gentle lecture about letting others do something nice for me when I've worked so hard for them, so, I'm going to go and spend the money for its stated purpose, not feel guilty the whole time, enjoy, and appreciate the thought.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2280 on: January 23, 2015, 09:20:27 AM »
Went to the airport early so that I'm not stressed. Took a city bus and walked the last 500m. Went to the lounge for a free lunch. Air Canada seems to be serious about improving their lounge offerings.

Turned off my water heater, reprogrammed my thermostat, and "ate the fridge" before I left.
"I can't believe you're still doing things your way after I explained why my way is better."

jms493

• Stubble
« Reply #2281 on: January 23, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
So this week I decided to stop buying coffee ($1.50) on my walk to work.

That is ~$360 a year saved.

I'm kind of sad cause i like that coffee and the guy who sells it.  I need to remove this mortgage from my life!!!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2282 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
*  Taking a crock pot of beans to work with me to plug in at the office and cook all day.  (I do not trust it to be on when no one is home.)   

*  Resisting the need to get my hair cut . . . I want to grow it out some and then make the switch to cutting it myself.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2283 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »
Called and got both a late fee waived on my phone bill (it shouldn't have been late) and while on the phone switched up service to save $30 per month going forward.  Double win. 

Baked gluten free bread for about $.50 a loaf saving $5.00 over the cost of store bought AND its a bigger loaf. 

Made 10 phone calls for school fundraiser soliciting donations for our big silent auction fundraiser next month.  No actual money saved but as long as we can keep the fundraising high the tuition won't go up.  As a bonus I am taking 5 (or 7 if the 3rd couple can make it) people who do not have kids at the school (or kids in school at all LOL) one of whom is really excited as she used to support the local school where she previously lived.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2284 on: January 23, 2015, 02:07:11 PM »
Turkey bones boiling away on the stove with water, seasonings, onions, celery and garlic. Will make for a nice turkey barley soup for dinner.

Keeping lights off inside even though it's rainy and dark this afternoon.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #2285 on: January 23, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
Just tried to fix some unset grape jelly with chia seeds.  A friend recently told me she makes chia seed strawberry jam and her kids can't tell the difference (she just tells them its strawberry seeds).  So, I googled some recipes and mixed 1/4 cup chia seeds into a pint of unset grape jelly and will check on it in a couple of hours or in the am and see how it went.  If that worked I will do it with the rest one jar at a time so I don't have to recan it.  I may try it with some blueberries we have in the freezer too that need used up.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2286 on: January 23, 2015, 08:12:31 PM »
Made a salad for lunch today with lettuce before it went bad.

Convinced my girlfriend to cut my hair so I didn't have to go to the salon. Looks super cute. Thanks to the MMM crowd for this idea.

superone!

• Stubble
« Reply #2287 on: January 24, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
I did my normally 1x per week bike/train commute every day this week, rather than spending the gas $ for the 60 mile roundtrip commute. Saved some money and got in over 100 miles of biking!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #2288 on: January 24, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
I had a no-spend day at home today.  I'm recovering from the flu and feeling much better today, so grateful for that.  The flu sucks. 

I also saved money today by line drying some things that I will give a gentle tumble later.  I took some liquid items out of my trunk before they froze.  Finally received the HOA's new parking permit before they tow my clown car. 
Join Robinhood and we'll both get a share of stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free.  http://share.robinhood.com/jennifc287

lithy

• Stubble
  • Drink Indigenous
« Reply #2289 on: January 24, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
Got about 150 retaining wall Techo Bloc blocks for just the expense of me picking them up with the work truck, hauling them home, and unloading them myself block by block up the steps and around to the side of the house.  I have to rebuild a wall on the side of the house this year and trolling the free craigslist section paid off instead of paying ~$5/block.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2290 on: January 24, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
Today has been a busy day!  I walked to the gym this morning (after walking my dog for an hour) instead of driving.  I used the last of a gift card for breakfast on the walk home from the gym. 

Once home I started cooking for the week.  I made (not) butter chicken (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/01/not-butter-chicken/) and Kung Pao Chicken (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/05/kung-pao-chicken-vegetables/) for lunches and dinners during the week.  I also made a huge pot of mashed potatoes to use up potatoes that were starting to sprout.  I'm making some shredded chicken in the crockpot because I'm going to make chicken enchiladas tomorrow (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-creamy-chicken-black-bean-enchiladas/).  I also made a few batches of rice in the rice cooker while I was in the kitchen. 

We're going to a friend's house for games and dinner tonight.  We're bringing sriracha chicken strips (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/04/sriracha-chicken-strips/) and chocolate chip cookies.  I made both during my afternoon cooking frenzy.  I'm going to bring over a bottle of sparkling wine and a bottle of white wine from our stash.  We stock up on our favorite wine when we can get it on sale.  We don't buy anything in bulk except wine!

I used a lot of cans of food that we had leftover (tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans).  I also used up small bits of frozen vegetables in the Kung Pao chicken.  I had 3 open frozen vegetable bags that only had about 1/2 cup remaining. 

I'm jealous of lithy's luck with the blocks!  I'm going to start looking at craigslist for inexpensive things to help with our backyard landscaping.  Thanks for the tip, lithy!

mc6, I'm sorry to hear that you're sick.  I had the flu a few weeks ago, and it knocked me on my butt.  I hope you make a speedy recovery!

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #2291 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »

$1 per mL?!?!  I hope you meant $1 per 100 mL ... otherwise that would be $3800 worth of soup for $6!

At least it's still cheaper than printer ink. (I don't own a printer, so I save money on that every day. I print less than once a week)

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2292 on: January 24, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
At a hotel for the weekend -- that wasn't saving money:-(  BUT, we have bought all of our food at the grocery store except for the free breakfasts both days at the hotel (really taking advantage of this!).

Went into the art gallery lobby and were planning to pay the admission and go on in. But we looked at the shows which were not super interesting to us ... didn't go in, which saved us $40!

Didn't go in the huge downtown shopping mall at all even though we were walking by!

lunahsol

• Stubble
« Reply #2293 on: January 25, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
*  Did a trip to Costco; but managed to spend only $75!  I rarely get out of there for less than $100, so this is great progress.

*  A friend treated me to lunch! 

*  I participated in a community event and was invited to partake in their dinner buffet.  Free dinner, also!

*  Went to the movies and it hurt a little to spend the $10 for the ticket, but I resisted the snack counter.

BONUS:  Gave 5 sand bags to someone who wanted them for her garden.  I was done with them and she needed sand . . . so was happy to save her the expense.

BriarRose111

• Stubble
« Reply #2294 on: January 25, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
I walked to the library and checked out a couple books, instead of buying them on my Kindle.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2295 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
1) Leftover turkey soup used for lunch for the family today.

2) Massive number of books returned and taken out from library by the kids.

3) Set up YNAB finally!

4) Turned off furnace in the day.

5) Walk at the beach for free entertainment (except for parking meter).

swick

• Global Moderator
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #2296 on: January 25, 2015, 02:52:08 PM »
 - packed everything I need for a two week trip into a carry-on so wouldn't have to pay for checked bag - this is huge for me!
 - got all the paperwork printed and singed to open a Questrade account
 - tossed around the idea of going out for brunch this morning - stayed home and made our own awesome breakfast sandwiches instead.
 - Hubby fixed the fan in my mom's laptop saving her several hundred dollars and getting us an invite to a fancy homemade prime rib dinner :)

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2297 on: January 25, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
I cooked a bag of black beans and made veggie burgers.  Turned out very well. 
Can you post the recipe?
Cut up a bunch of apples from a friend's orchard.  I have enough in the freezer for 7 apple pies now, all for the price of a visit I took anyways to see my friend!
Do you do any prep for freezing?

I'm also curious about these "freezer meals" and freezing fruit. Don't look at me sideways after I ask, but when you put these items in the freezer, what exactly do you do when you take them out? I.e do I need to let the apples or bananas just sit on the counter for a few hours? The frozen meals, is there a method to cooking them after theyve been frozen (oven vs microwave)?

I tried researching online about freezer meals but I keep just coming up with different meals that have been good to freeze. There's nothing about what todo when you actually decide to eat the freezer meal. I almost feel silly asking.

The easiest method is to stick the frozen meal in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it, then heat however you'd normally heat it the next night (for me, that's usually the microwave). In practice, I very often forget, so the "defrost" setting on the microwave sees a lot of use. It heats slowly enough to thaw without crisping or even really heating up the outer edges that way if you do it by weight (I take an educated guess) or just do it a minute or two at a time. You'll fairly quickly get a sense of how long things take.

I tend to cook with frozen fruit like apples, so say I'm making a cobbler, I just put in the apples or whatever still frozen and check the cobbler at the end of the usual cook time, but figure it might not quite be done yet. For a pie, I cook the filling on the stove, anyway, so I just throw in frozen apples/ berries/ whatever and it maybe takes an extra minute or two. If you make anything like pork and apples in a crock pot, just throw the apples in frozen.

Frozen bananas most often become smoothies or 'ice cream' around here, so they go in the blender straight from the freezer. If I'm using something like frozen pumpkin purée in pasta sauce, I stick it in the fridge to thaw the night before if I remember, but otherwise I just put the frozen chunk in the sauce on the stove and it melts given a little time.
+1
Rural is almost exactly what I do...   
except I usually don't thaw the meal first, but stick it straight into the oven or microwave, or even crockpot, depending on what it is  / size.

Fruit -- I will eat frozen berries and sliced peaches straight, they thaw a bit in my bowl, with my granola, but otherwise, fruit is blended frozen for mock ice cream / smoothies, or cooked with (sauce, cake, cobbler).  Bananas need to thaw for at least 5 minutes, so you can take/cut the peel off.  (I toss them whole into freezer when they are too spotty).
Veg - microwave or steam and eat.   If I freeze "glazed" carrots, they taste better than just "diced carrots".  Raw diced frozen onions straight into the pan.  Same with frozen stock.
Casserole type dishes (lasagna, shepards pie) -- pop in the oven 350'F with a temperature probe set to stop the oven at 165'F. 
Most other dishes can be reheated easily in a large frypan, straight from frozen if you add a little boiling water and cover for the first 5 minutes.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2298 on: January 25, 2015, 03:07:31 PM »
Turned the rest of the potatoes from my dad's garden into mashed potatoes for lunches.

Made more gift bags from scrap pieces of fabric.

Sold an old telescope I haven't used in ages.

Fixed my hiking boots so I won't need to buy new ones for Inca Trail!

Made boyfriend's birthday gift (with homemade gift bag too).

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2299 on: January 25, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
Yesterday was a good day:

1) fixed shower nozzle leak for free (just a chair and some time) instead of buying replacement
2) Bought $2.99 used fleece blanket at goodwill, cut up to use as guinea pig bedding (wash and reuse)
3) Played Boardgame at home with family instead of movie
4) Defrosted freezer and organized it, finding food that we are eating today instead of buying more
5) Watched sales to buy Turbo Tax at a (net to me) $10 discount -- it rarely goes on sale.
6) Thought a lot about MMM's post on 2014 spending.  Lots of blown apart assumptions on my end, fresh thinking for the new year about what is "needed" for a family with kids.... two tanks of gas implies a starkly different (yet good) lifestyle... in so many ways... I had assumed that after 7 y.o. kids start needing activities,  friends social visits, or doctor appoints or whatever, that require more driving... but they don't have to, do they... hmmm.....  another thread post....

Last week - adjusted RRSP direct deposit to match my raise, submitted receipts for health benefit claims