Author Topic: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?  (Read 5455225 times)

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
Re: What small things did you do TODAY to save money?
« Reply #14150 on: October 11, 2020, 04:43:19 PM »
Had “fancy brunch” aka omelets made with some spinach and bits and bobs of cheese that were nearing end of lifespan

Prepped lunches for the coming workweek

Acquired some cockscomb seeds from one of my sisters’ plants which will fit my plant to let most of my veggie space rest and to plant with a mind toward the pollinators next year

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14151 on: October 11, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »
Had *two* social engagements this weekend--so to unused having things on my social calendar these days. Met up with friends at an outdoor food court where we each got something different and split the plates. I got to try three different cuisines for under $20. Second one we went to a small local place and I got their signature dish that happens to be $6. My entertainment budget has been at $0 for so long, it felt like a major splurge.

Did lots of Halloween crafts with toilet paper rolls, craft paints, etc we found ideas for on Pinterest. We spread newspapers out on the coffee table, raided the art supply closet, and went to town! We are now full up on tin can ghosts, cardboard black cats, and pipe cleaner spiders. Used every bit of Halloween decor from SO's collection to decorate inside and out. Had so much fun figuring out where every piece would look the best. Then we went for a walk around the neighborhood to check out their decor. We might have to make some fake tombstones out of cardboard next!

aliene

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14152 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:43 AM »
Went to two supermarkets to get my weekly groceries. Normally I only go to the expensive one as I can buy everything at once there.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14153 on: October 13, 2020, 01:59:23 PM »
Used two "spend $10, get $10" Prime Day deals on Amazon to get $20 of free stuff. All stuff I was going to buy this month anyway (e.g. vitamins, something for my mom's birthday, groceries), I just timed my purchases more carefully to get and use the credits.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14154 on: October 13, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
Took my lunch to work today, again. I've been at my new job for almost a month and I haven't paid for breakfast or lunch once. I was concerned that my food budget would go up since I got a meal provided at my last job, but it's gone down! Work provides some breakfasts and a ton of snacks and beverages. With fewer working hours, I still have energy to cook when I get home.

Cooked a big batch of chili and cornbread yesterday. Today was quinoa salad and jam bars.
Had to make a few substitutions to the salad, but it came out tasty. The entrees are all portioned out in the fridge and freezer, with tomorrow's lunch packed in a bag in the fridge.

This is a 3 payday month for me, so my goal is to keep all spending to the money currently in my wallet and save an entire paycheck. I'm only eating what's currently in my food stores and not buying any groceries until at least this weekend, after payday #2.

Got a large part of my holiday gift buying out of the way last week for low prices.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14155 on: October 14, 2020, 06:03:39 AM »
GROCERIES
1. Two coupons for free pizza - just paid for extra toppings and tips/delivery - still saved $24 ($12 each pizza).
2. Huge grocery run to Aldi - part serious savings and part sheer indulgence - amazingly saved near $100.
Groceries and cat food elsewhere - used $16 worth of coupons, scored on BOGO and used coupons for free cat food.

GARDEN
3. Garden goodies - peppers, lemon verbena, lemon balm, avocadoes and very soon - PAPAYAS - yay:).
4. Today I'll look up what to do with lemongrass - our two bushes have exploded.

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS
5. Mr. R. bought a big lithium battery through work - to replace the one on our favorite emergency radio, flashlight, charger. Saved $30 or more.
6. He also fixed and charged the other emergency radio. Saved a $80 radio from the trash.
7. Today I'm recharging the solar power on one of our emergency flashlight/cell phone chargers - Florida sunlight - free:).

Looking into some cell phone changes and possibly a new plan.

COOKING - we're foodies - so we don't skimp - our goal is to get the best ingredients at the best price.
As a passionate cook - I like variety and enjoy creating or trying out new recipes.

1. Finally trying a recipe that's been on my fridge for a solid year:) =
harvested a couple of Persian limes from our tree for Key Lime Pie.
I love Key Lime Pie!
2. Limes are great for any Shrimp dish too - huge Tiger Shrimp from Aldi (seasonal - ten bucks a bag, frozen)
with coconut and lime and pineapple.
3. Today will be Bourbon marinated Salmon filets (half-price on special) with fresh steamed corn-on-the-cob (on sale at Aldi)...

NYT cooking - I'm resisting to pay for their Food subscription... so far anyway:)
But I do get access to some of their food articles/recipes for free which I use for new ideas and seasonal cooking inspiration.

This weekend during football - we'll munch on NYT fall recipe - Savory Corn Fritters.
Instead of the suggested yoghurt/honey as a dip - I'll try it with Mango salsa and Sour Cream/Salt/Lime.
Our Persian limes have just a hint of sweetness to them - we'll see how it turns out.

Anyway - Halloween is approaching
so I picked up BLACK Pasta made with black beans and
ORANGE Pasta made from Lentils. Both at Aldi as a seasonal special.
Ya gotta eat, right? might as well make it fun - now, tell me what would be cool to serve with that?

PS - time to look at my FALL-HALLOWEEN board on Pinterest w/recipes and decor - talk about a time sucker but so much free fun!
I'm thinking fun drinks and weirdo desserts, definitely something with Butternut Squash too, that stuff is addictive.

Rosy, we are foodies here too. Not quite chef's but we try lots of new things. How was that black and orange pasta? Did you find it mushy? I got this coupon book in the mail and inside it was a menu for a restaurant about 20 miles from my home. One of the entree's was a filet mignon and was $30. I am sure that is a 'normal' price for filet mignon dinner but I was like NO WAY! I have fillet mignons in my freezer, rib eyes and can cook up a magnificent meal for much, much less and in the comfort of my home! Yes, there is the prep and the dishes...but I find I get a restaurant quality meal for so much cheaper. Don't have to tip and no tax. Drinks are cheaper at my 'restaurant' too! Back when I was young and less sophisticated, I loved eating out. Now, I know the value of a dollar and can bargain shop and have great meals at home. I have to say, many times when I have eaten at restaurants, I am very disappointed with what I get. I scan the menu and sometimes I am like, there isn't anything on the menu that I haven't already had this month! I like to choose menu items I am not good at making at home or not familiar with how to prepare.

Frugal Lizard

• Magnum Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #14156 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »
@Roadrunner53 and @Rosy - I am the same - I have become a much better cook.  Adding in growing and preserving my own food, makes for some really fantastic meals at a fraction of the cost.  And given that both DD and I are celiac, we don't get glutenned and feel like crap for a couple days after.  My DH does all the dishes so I only have to do the cooking - which I really enjoy.  It is such a blast to make something scrumptiously delicious, particularly if you grew it from seed.

The big money save this past week was DD found out my old plants fit her.  I was a total clothes horse pre-babies and had a bin of some gorgeous clothes that I kept for her.  (I wore all the beautiful clothes my mother kept during my high school and university years until they disintegrated.  Some I still have but they are too fragile)  She found two pairs of jeans and some dress pants that she totally loves right here in her brother's closet after an afternoon of disappointment at the mall.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14157 on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:27 AM »
Went camping last weekend - spent a few days at campground on the coast of Maine, which was beautiful - unfortunately they were charging $7 + tax for a small bundle of firewood.  We ended up finding enough dead / fallen trees to simultaneously clean up the woods and provide firewood for the weekend.

cool7hand

• Stubble
« Reply #14158 on: October 14, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
Made an appointment and sat on a line for 15 minutes to get our car inspected for free by the state instead of paying $75 plus for a private vendor to inspect.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14159 on: October 14, 2020, 01:03:12 PM »
@Frugal Lizard - what a win on the clothes getting a second life!

Unclear if we'll travel for the holidays or not given COVID, but if so, made a one day adjustment to our flights, and saved $200

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14160 on: October 14, 2020, 01:06:02 PM »
Friendly neighbor and I both had pups with minor illnesses. We arranged to each take only one afternoon off work because I took our pets to the first vet visit today and she will take them to The follow up appointments next week.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14161 on: October 14, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Currently wearing a hand-me-down (up?) shirt from my SO's oldest son. The next oldest has just started wearing the same size I do, so even more headed my way!

My packing-my-work-lunch streak is unbroken. I've working my way through the freezer and pantry items to make tasty meals that I look forward to eating, so that helps.

Used an Amazon gift card to pay for most of a tool I ordered at a discount on Prime Day.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14162 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
PRIME DAY was a win for us.
1. I finally found a decent outdoor shower I liked, at a price I was willing to pay - savings $68~
2. Took advantage of their GC deal - buy $40 GC - get $10 credit.
3. Shipping credit - $2
4. Scored some good deals on solar garden lights and solar fountain thingamajig - savings $80~.
5. ... and miraculously found the brass garden hose connectors and water spray attachments at a prime day deal - savings $8~.

*** Plus - a $20 coupon on the outdoor shower and voila - nice savings overall.
*** Plus - I used my amazon card which gives me 5% back on everything on amazon!

HOME COOKING
Made a big pot of soup almost stew:) - three generous meals for two for about 8 bucks, part leftovers, part my own kitchen sink soup strategy from pantry ingredients, with bay leaf and parsley from the garden.
Tonight I am making cornbread to go with the last of it.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14163 on: October 16, 2020, 04:37:04 AM »
My kids' dentist advised that we get them electric toothbrushes.  Both have orthodonture and not so great tooth brushing habits.
 Found a good deal at a local shop (I try to avoid Amazon and support small businesses) with a 40% rebate from the manufacturer.  Sent off the rebate application this morning.

Cancelled a subscription that I don't use.

Brought lunch to work, as usual. 

Went through the kids' clothes over the weekend and sorted through handmedowns.  Younger kid now has a complete wardrobe for the next few years and older daughter has quite a lot of stuff that we discovered that fits her. 

Sun Hat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14164 on: October 16, 2020, 06:45:46 AM »
I had planned to pay a tradesperson to change the swing of my bathroom door from in-swinging to out, but after only getting automatic replies from two, indicating that they're very busy these days, I did it myself, figuring that if I screwed it up, I could continue waiting for a tradesperson. Now I'm looking around the house to see what else I had previously considered too hard to do myself.

With the weather turning cold again, I've returned to my bean and garden vegetable soup habit, which is great for my wallet and digestion.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14165 on: October 16, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »
We got a new (to us) sofa today! The old one was terrible but before the pandemic we hardly ever sat there anyway so we didn't really notice. That one was a freebie years ago.

This time we wanted a decent one because we're expecting a long winter of Netflix and knitting. Our friends have a nice looking, very comfortable sofa that's still comfortable after 5 years of use. So we asked the brand and model and searched for that on the most popular secondhand website in the country. Found one with very minor damage (one scratch in a spot that's facing the wall). Paid €265 including delivery for a good quality leather sofa that is almost as new and will probably last us years. Would be €850 + delivery new. Used leather wax that I already had on it. Looks shiny and brand new now.

Trifele

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14166 on: October 16, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Congrats @Imma!  A good sofa is a really good score. 

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14167 on: October 16, 2020, 05:33:44 PM »
Forgot my lunch at home, so ate crackers from the break room. My co-worker tried to convince me to order out. I replied that it was a short work day and a snack would tide me over. I had a big dinner plan!

I made the last package of pheasant breasts into a pseudo chicken masala with a jarred sauce, frozen bell peppers, onions, and celery. It was delicious, made several meals, and was nearly free.

SO has asked for a mending tutorial to salvage some of his shirts. He already knows how to sew, but he'd like to learn how to best make patches that don't show. Spreading the Mustachian agenda!

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14168 on: October 17, 2020, 02:02:03 AM »
Did some food prep for this week — made sausage rolls for work lunches and will be making hummus tomorrow.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14169 on: October 17, 2020, 05:35:32 AM »
A few months ago I needed to lock in on this coming winter's oil price for home heating. I got really lucky and was able to lock in at $1.00 less per gallon than I did last year. They delivered 120 gallons of oil yesterday at the new lower price. So by saving $1 a gallon, I saved $120! YAY!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14170 on: October 17, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
I picked up some books off of a neighbor's "free" pile, and my son picked up an old package of biking maps. He lost interest, so I posted them on eBay. Sold them yesterday for $96! Craziness.

Also, bought a 6.5 lb whole chicken for $3.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:19:13 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14171 on: October 18, 2020, 05:01:36 PM »
The profit on the trash-picked maps is amazing!

Ate dinner last night and lunch at home. That's a big deal with SO, who likes to eat out. He was waffling about lunch today so I just pulled out last night's leftovers and made a new thing he really liked, based on what was in the fridge and pantry.

Returned some items to the store and didn't even go to the sales floor. We didn't need anything, so I left the store with $40 extra!

Arbitrage

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14172 on: October 19, 2020, 01:20:05 PM »
When my Fitbit broke, I decided to spring for a cheap knock-off smartwatch instead of replacing it again.  There are a few features that I really value - the vibrating alarms, heart-rate tracking, step counting...and it seemed like I could get what I needed out of a much cheaper version.  Five days or so with the new device ($27 on Prime Day), and it seems like a perfectly fine substitute.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14173 on: October 20, 2020, 04:47:29 PM »
CREDIT CARD PERK
Navy Federal CU is offering a new perk on one of their credit cards - if you use it to pay for your annual prime membership they will reimburse you in full.
Marked my calendar for upcoming renewal (offer is good until Sep '21).
That is a surprisingly awesome deal - SAVINGS $134~

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14174 on: October 21, 2020, 07:08:00 PM »
When my Fitbit broke, I decided to spring for a cheap knock-off smartwatch instead of replacing it again.  There are a few features that I really value - the vibrating alarms, heart-rate tracking, step counting...and it seemed like I could get what I needed out of a much cheaper version.  Five days or so with the new device ($27 on Prime Day), and it seems like a perfectly fine substitute.

I did exactly the same thing and am happy with my cheaper knock-off Fitbit. It even has more features than I really want, but it was $30 at Target and has done well for 6 months.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14175 on: October 22, 2020, 12:42:37 AM »
My mom's birthday is next week - there's a book that came out recently that I knew she wanted to read, so I asked if she'd gotten it yet, and if not, maybe I could get it for her. She asked if I could send it to her on the Kindle app since it's easier on her eyes than a paper book - and I remembered that my Chase credit card had a 20% cash back offer for Kindle books until next week, so I remembered to use that card to buy it. $2 saved :-)  It's worth checking their website a couple times a month for those offers, I think I saved about $10 this month just buying stuff I was going to buy anyway, at the stores I always shop at.

okcisok

• Bristles
« Reply #14176 on: October 22, 2020, 05:54:03 PM »
That's a timely note, Dollar Slice. I was looking at books for gifts today and didn't even think about sending via Kindle. I did order two books from PaperbackSwap for a grand total of $0.49, but most of the books I was looking for weren't on the site. But if you're looking for fantasy, spy thrillers, or kids books, that's the place!

I'm currently reading a book a friend mailed to me after I mailed her a book. (See why I always ask for postage stamps on gift-giving occasions??) I have more on hold at the library that I need to pick up, and several more I put on a kind of 'rolling hold' so that I always have books to read from the library (or audiobooks to listen to).

My no-spend on food on workdays is still an unbroken streak! I wasn't planning on it, but when I started my new job I vowed to do better about meal prep. Today was leftover sandwiches from yesterday's client lunch and there's enough left for all of us to have another free lunch tomorrow. There's unlimited canned sodas and coffee drinks so beverage treats are free, too.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14177 on: October 23, 2020, 09:01:16 AM »
Mine is a truly tiny win. It's our anniversary (15th) & we did exchange small gifts. I was out of tissue paper, and didn't want to run to the store to pick up an expensive package. Instead, I'll get a jumbo size of plain white tissue paper at Costco, which will last for several years. In the mean time, I had a few gift bags, so went through all of our gift boxes (saved for future gifts) & found just enough previously used tissue paper to cover the top of the bags. In amazing news, I went to bed, and my husband had to wrap his gifts. He discovered the lack of tissue paper, and "borrowed" the paper out of my gift bags. ;-)

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #14178 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:17 AM »
Visited a different city for a few days and didn't eat out once. Brought lunch in containers so I could stop and eat when hungry on the drive there.

And went grocery shopping and cooked at the airbnb.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #14179 on: October 23, 2020, 10:10:40 PM »
I've been making a special trip to Tractor Supply every few months to buy a horse feed that is like $9 cheaper/bag than at my regular feed store.  Yesterday I realized that I can put it on auto-ship with free shipping and 5% off if I buy two bags at a time.  So 5% cheaper as well as less driving for me (and the occasional wasted trip if the store is out of stock). The time savings are actually better than the $5 or so I'll save every two months.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14180 on: October 24, 2020, 12:00:06 PM »
I've been making a special trip to Tractor Supply every few months to buy a horse feed that is like $9 cheaper/bag than at my regular feed store.  Yesterday I realized that I can put it on auto-ship with free shipping and 5% off if I buy two bags at a time.  So 5% cheaper as well as less driving for me (and the occasional wasted trip if the store is out of stock). The time savings are actually better than the $5 or so I'll save every two months.

Awesome improvement, @horsepoor

Returned an item we bought but didn't need. About a $8 savings, but we already had to stand in line to return a much pricier item, so thought we may as well do this one. (The lines to return at Costco can be ~20+ minutes.) Otherwise, we likely would have figured out a way to use/donate the item. Indoor line drying the majority of our clothes. Made a very creative dinner last night out of repurposed leftovers.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14181 on: October 24, 2020, 12:30:44 PM »

Yup - those 'continued' wins are the best!:) - Great job!

I'm still thrilled about my own credit card paying for one year of FREE Prime subscription. Even though in the past year Prime membership has more than paid for itself I still feel slightly guilty for having a Prime membership.
Before Covid I never ordered all that much online so I viewed it as a luxury expense for Prime videos with the rare shipping perk and since I also indulge in Netflix - well, it was/is a tad frivolous at least in my view.

MoolahLula

• Bristles
« Reply #14182 on: October 24, 2020, 01:54:00 PM »
I cancelled my cat's vet appointment for Monday because he seems better now.  Saving money and gas and cat drama as he hates car rides.  He has a sensitive stomach and now needs his anal glands expressed periodically, poor dude.  I've ordered the special kitty food and supplements that the vet office recommended on the phone.  I exercised him with a cat toy this morning and will give everyone a Caturday night treat of canned kitty food with hidden probiotics inside it. 

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14183 on: October 24, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Found fried field peas on sale and snagged 5lbs!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14184 on: October 24, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »

Okay, please tell us what this is? Never, ever heard of it!

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14185 on: October 24, 2020, 02:51:20 PM »
Food swap with friends. They gave me spices from a bulk purchase. I gave them hummus. I’m using their spices to make bagels that I’m sharing with another friend who gave me honey. Fresh-baked deli style bagels are incredibly expensive here (like $2 per bagel) whereas I can make them for about $0.20 per bagel.

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14186 on: October 24, 2020, 03:08:58 PM »

Okay, please tell us what this is? Never, ever heard of it!

A delightful autocorrect of dried, unfortunately! But maybe One cooked they could be coated in seasoning And made into crispy snacks via air fryer...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14187 on: October 25, 2020, 01:14:13 PM »
We had our walls insulated this summer (1940s brick house) and this week has been the first week that we needed to turn the heating on, room temperature had droped to 16,5C. On Wednesday I turned the heating up to 20C. Turned it off after an hour. It's still 20C! I air out the house in the morning and the temperature drops to 19,5 temporarily but as soon as we start generating additional heat in the kitchen (washing machine, stove, oven or coffee machine gets turned on) we're quickly back at 20. We used to always keep the heating at 18C but now the house is heating itself! Can't wait for the gas bill to arrive. Natural gas is extremely expensive in here. Best part is we had a great deal on the insulation too, we were able to get it at cost because the city is trying to get our neighbourhood off gas as part of the energy transition.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #14188 on: October 25, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
Made jam, with blackberries that I picked from my yard this summer - enough to use some as holiday gifts and still leave me enough to last until next year.

And got a free big old stock pot from a family member who was going to get rid of it.

Also got $40 of Amazon gift cards, for answering two surveys from product reps related to my work.

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14189 on: Today at 05:36:44 AM »
An item I bought earlier this month for $180 is now $156. Ten minutes of instant messaging with customer service and I got a refund for the difference.

MoolahLula

• Bristles
« Reply #14190 on: Today at 06:17:40 AM »
I contacted Amazon Customer Service about an item that should have been delivered Sunday but was misrouted.  I got a $5 credit for my troubles and hopefully the item arrives in the next couple days.  I also contacted my HOA about a $27 error in my bill, haven’t heard back from them yet.